Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Staying on the televised network broadcast is the only real way for this show to reach its aging audience. I mean, how many 60+ year olds do you know who pay for streaming services?

Peacock is actually free. I can still see many older people not bothering though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Staying on the televised network broadcast is the only real way for this show to reach its aging audience. I mean, how many 60+ year olds do you know who pay for streaming services?

Ideally, yes. But it seems even that number is dropping sharply based on current ratings. So NBC may just feel moving the show is worth the risk. Or NBC could renew it tomorrow!

Time will tell.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

How many 60+ year olds do you know?  Everyone I know in the 60-70 year old range either pays for at least one service or knows how to stream them through a shared account. 

Now, Peacock is probably not one of them but with the integration of streaming services and cable boxes, it is probably easier than it was 10 years ago.

And what we don't know is what streaming numbers on NBC.com and Peacock are like. I suspect if it moves, it won't be 5 episodes a week.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, MsTree said:

If NBC were to cancel Days, I would be happy if Peacock picked it up except I wouldn't be able to record it...and they'd probably load it with commercials ☹️

Most of the time when NBC streams Days there are commercials (I use the NBC app but I'm assuming Peacock is the same).  However, there are FAR fewer commercials when they stream.  Since there is really only about 34 minutes of actual content every show, streaming usually takes somewhere in the 45 minute range per episode - not great but still better than watching live.  

• Love 5
On 4/18/2021 at 5:30 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Everyone I know in that age range - and I know a lot since I'm in that range myself - uses streaming services - at least one and usually more.  And they're all older than sixty and on fixed incomes.  

Edited by boes
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hope you are just kidding because plenty do and some are very tech savvy.  Plus, some are also streaming at the behest of their children and grandchildren.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Most of the 60+ people I know really are indifferent to streaming services and their exclusive content. They pay for a basic cable/satelite package and a basic internet package and that's it. They want to save their pennies and keep it simple in an ever-changing entertainment landscape.

I guess my main point is, as with shows that changed timeslots or networks only to end up losing their audience, I doubt 90% of the DOOL viewership will go searching for it should it move from its longtime place on the NBC lineup. People view it out of habit and convenience more than anything, I suspect.

The 60+ crowd will not all go download an app or add a streaming service just for DOOL.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Hand up.  Me?

Plus Peacock is free for most of its product. I do pay for Disney and Amazon.

18 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Peacock is actually free. I can still see many older people not bothering though.

There are things that Peacock is charging for.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think it is highly likely this may be ending on NBC but will be booted to Peacock. Seems like a fair compromise.

The silence of the cast is deafening yet you hear on other boards they think the show is renewed which may be true but not necessarily on NBC.

I admit I don't care for Peacock(I can access it through Xfinity) but I don't know how free it will be if Days is on there I mean it would have to cost money right?

• Love 3
On 4/18/2021 at 8:34 PM, howmanywords said:

Actually it’s not. There’s a free version w a fuck ton of commercial and like 50% of the shows and movies. And a pay version with no commercials and the rest of the shit. This was a multi post convo on the main thread since one of the mods said she has the free version and no commercials and me and several other posters said we watch the free version and have hella ads, so wtf.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/18/2021 at 7:30 PM, Pearson80 said:

I hope you are wrong.  Are we going to be subjected to another talk show if they cancel it?

On 4/18/2021 at 7:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

That's probably the plan. And like or hate them, talk shows are A LOT cheaper to produce. No actors to pay, etc. One set versus several, etc.

There’s murmurs they want Kristin Bell for a talk show to replace Ellen. I forgot who else they’re courting but I heard this tea a while ago on Deux Moi 

I could also envision a reality show since people go on those practically for free plus they can be in a covid bubble

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

There’s murmurs they want Kristin Bell for a talk show to replace Ellen. I forgot who else they’re courting but I heard this tea a while ago on Deux Moi 

I could also envision a reality show since people go on those practically for free plus they can be in a covid bubble

So Ellen is being phased out, wow!  

33 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Actually it’s not. There’s a free version w a fuck ton of commercial and like 50% of the shows and movies. And a pay version with no commercials and the rest of the shit. This was a multi post convo on the main thread since one of the mods said she has the free version and no commercials and me and several other posters said we watch the free version and have hella ads, so wtf.

There are three versions.  Free with ads but without all the stuff.  The next tier is about $5/month with all the stuff but still with ads.  And then there's the $10 tier with all the stuff and no ads. 

Xfinity [Comcast] customers get the middle tier for "free" since it's all the same parent company.

31 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Maybe but it takes a long time to get a talk show together compared with how simple they look.  Usually we hear about them well in advance.  I think the only talk show that I've heard will start in the fall is Nick Cannon's show.

But since NBC produces Kelly Clarkson's show, what they could do is put her on every single one of their affiliates in the DOOL slot instead of simply relying on syndication.

6 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Her fondness for frightening her guests really irks me. I'd never go on a show where terrifying me was the host's aim.

Exactly! IMO, there must be something radically wrong with her to enjoy frightening the shit out of her guests. If someone did that to me, I'd probably have a coronary.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Yea, I have the free version but I don't get ads lol. I once paid for the 4.99 version, which still has ads, but for some reason I never had ads with it and now still don't after switching back to free. So strange, but I'm not complaining lol.

Is Days available on Peacock's free version? I assume it is. But, if they move it to just Peacock I could see it only being available on the paid version.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is Days available on Peacock's free version? I assume it is. But, if they move it to just Peacock I could see it only being available on the paid version.

Yes.  I think the free version includes things that used to be on NBC.com--so basically shows that aired first on the network.  The paid versions include things that are exclusive to Peacock like the third season of AP Bio, the Saved By The Bell reboot...etc.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Current season or past seasons?

Current for sure because I tried to watch an ep that was preempted here like a month or whatever ago and I couldn't. This doesn't matter at all and is OT but it was just very off to me. Between that and me randomly not having ads on my free account just has me so confused about Peacock lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, DisneyBoy said:

You must be young😊60 is not that old! Many people 60+ have streaming services/apps. Maybe over 70/75 it can get tricky for some. It’s all what you are used to. Too many people have been denied the (broadband) ability to stream for so long that it can be daunting to learn. My elder family members got the hang of it. Except for the 🤬Apple remote.  But I see what you are saying & I agree.  Satellite & cable are so easy & familiar. 

• Love 2
On 4/19/2021 at 3:30 AM, MsTree said:

If NBC were to cancel Days, I would be happy if Peacock picked it up except I wouldn't be able to record it...and they'd probably load it with commercials ☹️

Oh yeah! If this did happen, Who the hell is going to watch live? And commercials!

we should have kept our VCRS😆

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/19/2021 at 11:29 PM, Petunia13 said:

I have ads. I already pay way too much money for spectrum and a few other apps and I’m not about to pay for an upgrade with  peacock   I don’t know how people do it if you pay for all the apps you actually wanted, it’s got a cost over $300 a month I’m paying 200 as it is for fiber & streaming apps. Sometimes I really miss free AntennATV and we didn’t know any better😀

• Love 3
On 4/20/2021 at 2:09 AM, MsTree said:

Can't happen soon enough for me.

Agree. She’s horrible. The scaring people shit  is not funny, it’s abuse/bullying. I used to like her but like with Oprah, there is nothing there. Well, at least Ellen is an animal advocate. Oprah pretty much brought us Dr.Phil, Dr Oz , etc. 🤮

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

You must be young😊60 is not that old! Many people 60+ have streaming services/apps. Maybe over 70/75 it can get tricky for some. It’s all what you are used to. Too many people have been denied the (broadband) ability to stream for so long that it can be daunting to learn. My elder family members got the hang of it. Except for the 🤬Apple remote.  But I see what you are saying & I agree.  Satellite & cable are so easy & familiar. 

Yes.  Us younger boomers were only late 20's early 30's when the internet really started taking off (can ANYONE of a certain age ever forget that sound when your dial-up connected?)  We really wanted to learn the internet so we did what we needed to do.  So, for us, streaming is really just a matter of learning another step.  I agree that the reason most boomers still have satellite and cable is convenience and familiarity.  I waited far too long to cut the cable cord - simply due to laziness, but I've been seeing more and more older people (particularly on NextDoor) looking for ways to cut cable as their bills become unaffordable.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Agree. She’s horrible. The scaring people shit  is not funny, it’s abuse/bullying. I used to like her but like with Oprah, there is nothing there. Well, at least Ellen is an animal advocate. Oprah pretty much brought us Dr.Phil, Dr Oz , etc. 🤮

I don't want to go too off-topic but Dr Phil and DR. Oz showed us their true colors last year... I still love Oprah though and I  am sad about Ellen's fall from grace.. It's like everybody is an asshole now..

• Love 5

I have always loved Dr Phil and Oprah...

This version,  I mean:

😁

Anyway I'm not shaming older viewers just stating that the show is conveniently on at 1 on NBC. Change that, make people hunt for it or pay for it, and see how many are perfectly willing to live without it.

7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I have always loved Dr Phil and Oprah...

This version,  I mean:

😁

Anyway I'm not shaming older viewers just stating that the show is conveniently on at 1 on NBC. Change that, make people hunt for it or pay for it, and see how many are perfectly willing to live without it.

I know - I'm positive- that you're not intentionally shading older people but that's how it reads. I've been reading your posts too long to believe that's what you mean to do, but making sweeping assumptions about people based on age sounds like you are.

Some of us get up from our rockers to do more than just yell at kids to get off our lawn, you know.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8

😆😆😆😆

Oh I know, trust me, I know. Not that I don't deserve a good yellin' every now and again...

I'd be curious to know what the real demos are for DOOL, from an all-knowng, all-seeing perspective. Has it gained loyal viewers in the 18-35 range in the last decade? What percentage of the regular DOOL audience sought out the Digital Episodes? What about international viewership?

20 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

What percentage of the regular DOOL audience sought out the Digital Episodes?

And that's the data we don't have which would really tell the story of viewership.  Do a lot of people watch it streaming?  How much of the overall audience is it?  What's their demo? 

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And that's the data we don't have which would really tell the story of viewership.  Do a lot of people watch it streaming?  How much of the overall audience is it?  What's their demo? 

I didn't even know the Last Blast thing was a thing until I saw it on this forum... months after it ended.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm not sure the digital series ratings is a good indicator of anything. It was barely promoted and no one who only watches the show and doesn't seek anything about it online would even know it exists. It'd be more relevant to know how many people watch the actual episodes on Peacock.

• Love 1

I’m streaming 2 soaps rn. Tubi the free app has all the my network tv prime time telenovelas and some Australian soaps (and the commercials are v minimal). I’m rewatching Fashion House, then will watch Wicked Wicked Games. On an bootleg app I stream, Riviera,  which is an extremely high budget soap from UK and Monaco. it’s gorgeous: the locations, super yachts, fashions, luxury cars, mansions, art... I digress. 

what’s crucial and where Corday is being fucked is he wanted Sony to let him syndicate Days internationally and took them to court and I believe lost. Bell who owns and produces Bold & Beautiful makes a fortune a year because many countries syndicate B&B. There actually is a demand for Days outside the US, particularly in Asia they have a lot of fans, I know this first hand.  

To tie this back around to the topic, LOL,peacock the app is not available outside US. If it were and exclusive content was on there then they could attract people paying for it, maybe a small fee since they is not much of any incentive to pay for Peacock imho. Using other streaming services I think they are greedy w the lengthy and frequent ads for the equivalent of cheap AF shows or old shows. 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2021 at 11:35 PM, Petunia13 said:

This is interesting news to me, because Ellen's talk show is syndicated.  Where I live, it's on ABC - not NBC.  Not sure how a new NBC talk show would affect Ellen's talk show... and if NBC doesn't like her, then they need to get rid of that horrible Game of Games show first.

• Love 5

Paul Telfer, on Twitter, said the scene between Xander & Claire, where Claire grabs his hair & yanks his head up off the table was Isabel's idea...a bit of spontaneous acting: I got a real kick out of that scene :)

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Don’t know where to put this, but Days has been renewed for two years!! Now we just need a new head writer!

I'll do it.  First thing I'm doing is getting rid of the masks.

• Love 10