Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Whaaaa.....??

Well okay then. I had heard that he was not acting anymore, but I had not heard that he'd crossed over into that kind of mental territory. I wish him well though.

...at least fans got that great reunion between the characters on John Oliver's show.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4

I'm not one to automatically see a new hairstyle or a shaved head and assume mental health issues are at play. Artistic types can get really deep into ideas and concepts and new philosophies...and pot LOL. Maybe he's just moving in a new artistic direction. Or maybe he's lost his damn mind. Either way I hope he's well.

That photo does look very creepy however.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, they might want to recast.

Or just kill him again. Give him the brain cancer Will got but, unlike Will, have it actually kill him.

22 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm not one to automatically see a new hairstyle or a shaved head and assume mental health issues are at play. Artistic types can get really deep into ideas and concepts and new philosophies...and pot LOL. Maybe he's just moving in a new artistic direction. Or maybe he's lost his damn mind. Either way I hope he's well.

Right.  For me it depends on how pervasive "the whisper within" is.  Does he expect his friends to call him whisper?  WW?  Or his "followers?"  Well then....I do have questions.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 2
On 8/22/2020 at 1:49 AM, Pearson80 said:

A damn shame because Lucas is beloved.. Lucas was thrown under the bus for both EJ and Rafe...

He was also thrown under the bus for Daniel .

its funny that when Bryan was still on the show under contract , the show used to get an average of 5 and 3 million viewers in the mid to late  1990s ,3 million in the early 2000s and then  2.6 million circa 2006-2008 .

when Galen Gering and Shawn Christian joined the show in 2008 and began to eat up the show , the ratings declined to an average of 2.2 million and the show has never ever gone past 2.3 million viewers again . what does that say to TIIC who believe that Gering and Christian are better leading men than Bryan Datillo ? I think the ratings do kinda vindicate the man . lets face it during the height of Austin/Carrie/Lucas/Sami in the 1990s , the show was actually second behind Y&R in the ratings . and back then there were more soapies being aired . the only times the ratings declined when bryan was on contract was when Sami and Lucas were being written as the new rootable couple battling EJ circa 2006 and 2007 but the show still had more viewers than Shawn Christian and Galen Gering's entire leading man  tenure.

Edited by Rafael
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Rafael said:

He was also thrown under the bus for Daniel .

its funny that when Bryan was still on the show under contract , the show used to get an average of 5 and 3 million viewers in the mid to late  1990s ,3 million in the early 2000s and then  2.6 million circa 2006-2008 .

when Galen Gering and Shawn Christian joined the show in 2008 and began to eat up the show , the ratings declined to an average of 2.2 million and the show has never ever gone past 2.3 million viewers again . what does that say to TIIC who believe that Gering and Christian are better leading men than Bryan Datillo ? I think the ratings do kinda vindicate the man . lets face it during the height of Austin/Carrie/Lucas/Sami in the 1990s , the show was actually second behind Y&R in the ratings . and back then there were more soapies being aired . the only times the ratings declined when bryan was on contract was when Sami and Lucas were being written as the new rootable couple battling EJ circa 2006 and 2007 but the show still had more viewers than Shawn Christian and Galen Gering's entire leading man  tenure.

Lucas was thrown under the bus regardless of Rafe/EJ/Daniel the show doesn't care about him. He's popular despite that.

• Love 3

Incredibly, this "interview" revealed practically nothing about the characters' Final Exit. Freddie thinks it would be fun to film a spinoff where the boys and Arianna are on the run from the mob in Arizona or possibly trying to save Gabi. Like that will happen. They reiterate that Chandler was filming after Freddie had already concluded his last day and they said that their final scenes with their co-stars felt like the goodbyes. Most of this video was spent talking endlessly about their professional plans. Chandler has applied for a data analysis firm and admits he has a degree but no professional experience and starting a new career makes him nervous. He thinks the fact that he included his acting experience on his resume made them curious. Freddie meanwhile says he'd love to continue acting but only if the part is really good and there's a considerable commitment 🙄

He claimed he wanted to take a lot of time for fan questions in the video, but only spent nine minutes of the 49 actually addressing any, and the questions were suspiciously not at all about the actual way the exit was written. Instead, the questions were about whether they would continue to do fan meet-and-greets, and whether Chandler's feelings about working with Freddie evolved over time 🙄🙄🙄

I just find Freddie and his wife/girlfriend/whatever so disingenuous. They don't seem like they're mean people, but I really don't like the way they handle this "gig". I felt like I was listening to someone whose words were way too calculated to seem "likeable" and "professional" ... without actually saying anything of substance. Guys, you're posting a free web series as a way to keep your public profile up and you're interviewing past co-workers. You can be casual. You can speak honestly. Stop making it seem like you're auditioning for a bigger gig because one isn't coming your way, at least not in this department.

But on the other hand, I suppose if they started to speak too frankly about the weird way they were abruptly written out, then they might be closing themselves off from being invited back.

I hadn't realized that Chandler was hired first, and that he didn't even know what character he was hired for or that Will would have a coming-out story. But I guess that's already been covered in the past with his other interviews.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 8/28/2020 at 12:35 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Some people going through spiritual experiences may cut their hair or whatever. As part of my soul connection experience, I only went for a trim for my hair. It's hair and it grows back.

• Love 1

Stephen Nichols responded to him - as did Greg Meng and other current and former co-stars and fans - with a lovely tweet. Losing one's mom is a hard one. I know as I lost my own mom back in 2018.  😞 Hopefully, the happy memories of her will comfort him and his family.

• Love 5

I thought this was such a good picture of Scott Reeves and his grandchild. He looks good with the gray hair and the baby is so cute. I could almost see where Missy Reeves doesn’t want to leave them and miss this special time. Their kids are super young (in their 20’s) and, both are having kids really early. Maybe, just maybe, she wasn’t canned. LOL!!!!

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/photos/social-snaps-136/

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2

Oh boy.

If they're smart, they'd have three or four weeks of "classic episodes" all digitally processed and ready to air. It's just getting too close. And I'd prefer to see repeats from eras other than Ron's.

The Pilot Episode

First Appearance of Stefano

Bo and Hope's First Wedding

Stuff like that. This pandemic will be on for another six months. They need to plan accordingly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Oh boy.

If they're smart, they'd have three or four weeks of "classic episodes" all digitally processed and ready to air. It's just getting too close. And I'd prefer to see repeats from eras other than Ron's.

The Pilot Episode

Stuff like that. This pandemic will be on for another six months. They need to plan accordingly.

As much as I would love to see that and agree with your general point can Days even afford to air those episodes? There are probably music rights and Days probably doesn't want to pay estates, etc for some of these episodes either.  If Days goes into repeats they will probably reair stuff that was preempted in the past by NBC.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

As much as I would love to see that and agree with your general point can Days even afford to air those episodes? There are probably music rights and Days probably doesn't want to pay estates, etc for some of these episodes either.  If Days goes into repeats they will probably reair stuff that was preempted in the past by NBC.

Exactly and if they tried to replace some of the music it would take away how the music impacted the stories. Not only did Days use actual Billboard hits but they had composers writing music and songs specifically for the show. Remember the beautiful Marty Davich music? Such a staple back then! 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Exactly and if they tried to replace some of the music it would take away how the music impacted the stories. Not only did Days use actual Billboard hits but they had composers writing music and songs specifically for the show. Remember the beautiful Marty Davich music? Such a staple back then! 

Yes that would probably be Days whole budget at this point..

• Love 1

I know Days's budget sucks balls these days but I can't understand how pricey it would be for them to add a little background music to enhance the scenes. There used to be a really cool one back in the '80's that wasn't much more than piano notes but it was supper creepy. Not to mention back then there was this horn they used for Orpheus''s theme that didn't sound complex either. I feel like they could take up a collection among the cast or set up a damn go-fund me page for the fans to contribute to a better quality show. 😀

9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Oh boy.

The Pilot Episode

I love this idea. Even if it was the 'best of' (super couples, major villains, specific adventure storylines, funniest lines etc.) and they had to edit out major theme songs, although I thought Steve and Kayla's "If You Heart Comes Out Tonight" was specifically written for them and thus Days should have the rights. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, howmanywords said:

We chatted with Marty years ago online and he said that Ken Corday has the rights to the music that he wrote for Days... Marty said he had the best time on there as an artist.  I think he left in early 90's...  His music was awesome..

1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

I love this idea. Even if it was the 'best of' (super couples, major villains, specific adventure storylines, funniest lines etc.) and they had to edit out major theme songs, although I thought Steve and Kayla's "If You Heart Comes Out Tonight" was specifically written for them and thus Days should have the rights. 

I think Marty wrote their song but I could be wrong..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Rafael said:

I wish James Scott would just tell us how he really feels.🤪 I loved, nay, FLOVED ejami back in the day but as far as I'm concerned they got their reunion on the John Oliver show. Therefore I'm entitled to move on. I'm not opposed to a recast but if AS is just going to be used to show up and scream at people then I don't know that the point of that would be. 

Now I'll just go roll back up into a ball and resume chanting "Eric is gone, Eric is gone, Eric is gone" because I'm still not over the pretty being taken from me. 

• LOL 1
16 minutes ago, Rafael said:

There is no point keeping Faux EJ alive now. 

EJ is an interesting character (he's legacy, right? Born on screen?) and any decent writer would be able to find something to do with him. I'd say the same about Sami, though, and it hurts to see what they've reduced her to doing. Heck, most of the cast is reduced to pitiable storylines. Also, this is DOOL and pretty much the only person who stays dead is Isabella Toscano Black. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, JaneDigby said:

EJ is an interesting character (he's legacy, right? Born on screen?) and any decent writer would be able to find something to do with him. I'd say the same about Sami, though, and it hurts to see what they've reduced her to doing. Heck, most of the cast is reduced to pitiable storylines. Also, this is DOOL and pretty much the only person who stays dead is Isabella Toscano Black. 

Or any character where the actor died in RL.

However Ben's victims not named Will stayed dead along with Nick Corelli.

I'm not opposed to an EJ recast but I don't see the point unless AS/Sami is sticking around.

After reading this I bet they kill EJ off tbh.

• Love 1

JS has been saying for years he doesn't want to return to daytime. I dont care for his hostile tone in response to someone telling him to "call Days and come back with Sami" but at the same time I dont blame him. If you follow him on instagram that should tell you all you need to know about the way he lives now. And tbh I really dont like when fans beg actors to not leave or return. What was really cringe worthy was in the instagram comments right under his response people are still begging him to return because he's missed and saying "we" need him. Like what part of "never, never, never" did you not understand?

• Love 1