Type keyword(s) to search

Michelle and JimBob aka J'Chelle and Boob

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Michelle has actively admitted she was a yeller and started using the quiet baby voice to counteract that. I believe it's in the books and she's mentioned it in speaking engagements. It probably started with good intentions, but became so exaggerated that now she can't turn it off.

I did remember people mentioning that. And I'm sure there's some element of truth to it - but combined with the calling Jim Bob 'Daddy' thing, it kind of reads like Jim Bob thought she was being too defiant until she infantilized herself all the way back to childhood.

• Love 5

I did remember people mentioning that. And I'm sure there's some element of truth to it - but combined with the calling Jim Bob 'Daddy' thing, it kind of reads like Jim Bob thought she was being too defiant until she infantilized herself all the way back to childhood.

Not to mention he is her buddy and they hold hands while their kids do all the parenting at the back of the conga line.

• Love 4

According to this random source I just Googled up, cell phone tower takings are all over the map

I live in a suburb of a major midwestern city.  Far denser population-wise than rural Arkansas.  I have, as part of my property, easement for the railroad, as do all my neighbors.  There is a cell phone tower somewhere in the vicinity and the railroad sold the rights to the cell company to place it on the easement.  As one of the holders of easement rights (we're required to keep the grass mowed and clean up around our part of ground next to the tracks in exchange for being able to use the land), I get a cut of the cell phone money.  We got $120 initially and now get around $80 a year.  Even presuming JB doesn't have to share it with his neighbors or the railroad, he cannot be getting much.  The cell company could afford to purchase a nice piece of land outright for their tower and pay maintainance in rural Arkansas for far less than the $60,000 a month quoted elesewhere.  That's got to be Midtown Manhatten rates.

• Love 4

I gotta' ask. Because I'm old. LOL

How many here know it's really frowned on to wear white to a wedding if you are not the bride? Mostly what I'm looking for is approximate age. And maybe general area of the country.

I'm (ahem) over 40. I was born and raised in Seattle. And I remember my mom telling me "no white at a wedding" from the time I was a little girl. Here's my question. How could a woman in her fifties and raised in the South (which I consider more traditional in manners and dress) NOT KNOW this was offensive? Even more, did Jim Boob know it as well?

• Love 10

I gotta' ask. Because I'm old. LOL

How many here know it's really frowned on to wear white to a wedding if you are not the bride? Mostly what I'm looking for is approximate age. And maybe general area of the country.

I'm (ahem) over 40. I was born and raised in Seattle. And I remember my mom telling me "no white at a wedding" from the time I was a little girl. Here's my question. How could a woman in her fifties and raised in the South (which I consider more traditional in manners and dress) NOT KNOW this was offensive? Even more, did Jim Boob know it as well?

I'm 59 and I was raised that guests did not wear white or black to a wedding. White was competing with the bride - and black because it implied mourning.

• Love 12

This. In NY, everyone wears black to weddings, because everyone's nicest clothes are black, but when I'm going to one of my midwestern nieces' weddings I wear colors. Actually, I buy colors for those weddings, because otherwise I pretty much don't wear them.

• Love 5

I would guess it is safe to say most people from teenagers on up know not to wear white to a wedding.  I wore a beautiful black dress a couple of years ago to a friend's wedding. Here in NJ black is very popular and worn all the time.

Mechelle has no taste. The dress she wore looked like a sack.Tacky and ugly. What else would anyone expect after the ugly dresses she wore at Jill and Jessa's weddings.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 5

I would never wear white to a wedding. However, my grandmother, who was in her seventies at the time, wore black to my first wedding in 1980. She looked great, but she was an east Texas belle through and through so I still don't think it was accidental.

The fact that she was absolutely right and I left him three years later? Maybe she was psychic.

But white? Unless it's part of the wedding party color scheme chosen by the bride (Pippa Middleton, for example)...no. Just no.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 6

I would never wear white to a wedding. However, my grandmother, who was in her seventies at the time wore black to my first wedding in 1980. She looked great, but she was an east Texas belle through and through so I still don't think it was accidental.

The fact that she was absolutely right and I left him three years later? Maybe she was psychic.

But white? Unless it's part of the wedding party color scheme chosen by the bride (Pippa Middleton, for example)...no. Just no.

Yes, I think the rule about black has been lifted in the last 20-30 years. I've seen lots of people here in upstate New York wearing black to weddings, especially evening weddings. Not an issue for me, because I haven't any black outfits. It's "not in my color wheel" - as Sandra Bullock said in The Blind Side. LOL. But when I was little, I definitely remember hearing the women in my family discussing no white and no black for weddings at different times.

• Love 2

I'm 53, born & raised in New England, and like Wellfleet, black and white are no-nos for weddings. I've been to weddings where both colors have been worn, but not a solid white or a completely black outfit.

Not to defend Michelle but she looked like she was wearing a 1950s Nurse uniform. If she had been in an outfit like Deanna's in all white, then maybe, just maybe, I could think she might be trying to show up a young cute shapely bride.

ETA, I wear white after Labor Day. (shhh)

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5

I'm in my early 30s. I live in south Louisiana and I know not to wear white to a wedding.

Michelle knows. She's just awful.

I think Amy used this wedding to make her relatives pay for making her feel like a poor relation. 

• Love 4

Not to defend Michelle but she looked like she was wearing a 1950s Nurse uniform.

She reminded me of Cloris Leachman in High Anxiety.

Nevertheless, her dress sense is so off I wouldn't be surprised if she did look at herself in the mirror and think she might upstage the bride. lol

• Love 5

I really don't think that Kelly Bates and Mechelle shared a dress.  Kelly is a pretty solid gal, in spite of bearing 19 kids.  Mechelle, on the other hand, is disappearing right before our eyes.  I think she might be less than 5 feet tall at this point.  She is starting to look like a miniature version of herself.

• Love 3

I think the no white or black must be a Western culture universal. I live in Sweden and the rules are the same. Absolutely no white unless the bride explicitly asks for it to fit a theme, and black is frowned upon as well.

• Love 3

I think a few others here have shared the same story, but my MIL (a frosty Canadian, no offense to anyone on the boards!) wore a barely off-white dress to our wedding. Of course, in all the pix, it looks as white as mine. What's most aggravating is that she asked what colors would go with the rest of the wedding party (seemed genuinely interested in getting a dress that would work with the color scheme). Everyone was wearing jewel tones, so she had her pick (emerald, royal blue, red...my Mom wore fuschia, the matron of honor deep purple, the bridesmaids teal). So, we were rather shocked to see her moments before the ceremony in white. This was our first inclination that this woman is the Queen of Passive-Agressive Behavior. My mother wanted to kill her, but my Very Southern Mother is a dead ringer for Miz Clairee from Steel Magnolias, so all was sweetness and light that day. However, I remember afterward, all our friends and family asking what on Earth was she thinking and basically thought it was in really poor taste. We've been married 21 years, and over all that time, I have learned not to play her games. Or as we say here in the South, Bless Her Heart. FWIW, I'm out of the will for marrying a Damn Carpet Bagging Yankee (one of my mom's terms of endearment for Mr. Tudor...but she really does like him!).

To bring this back on topic, Michelle is only a few years older than me and she knows damn well not to wear white to a wedding, especially a family member's. Surely she had something in her closet that would've been appropriate for a hot outdoor event...we've all been there. My thought is that she just didn't give a flip. I doubt she's particularly close to

Deanna and only puts up with Famy, so it was her passive-aggressive way of saying "I totally don't care."

• Love 6

I am 45 and definitely know not to do wear white to a wedding. Just for kicks, I just asked my 17 year old if she would wear a white dress to a wedding. She made the 'heck no' face and before she could say anything my 12 year old who has never even been to a wedding and only wears dresses on Christmas and Easter says 'Mom, wouldn't wearing white be like trying to look like the Bride? That seems rude'. Seriously - if my 12 year old gets that, Michele should know too.

• Love 9

I confess... I've worn a black, sparkly dress to a wedding. It was held in the evening at a swanky hotel. I didn't know it was a fashion faux pas. Now I feel bad.

I think wearing black is much less of a faux pas especially in these days of super fancy, black-tie weddings. Evening in a swanky hotel sounds like an event where black would be acceptable, especially if it was sparkly. Sparkly in any color is not a dress of 'mourning'.

• Love 7

I am 45 and definitely know not to do wear white to a wedding. Just for kicks, I just asked my 17 year old if she would wear a white dress to a wedding. She made the 'heck no' face and before she could say anything my 12 year old who has never even been to a wedding and only wears dresses on Christmas and Easter says 'Mom, wouldn't wearing white be like trying to look like the Bride? That seems rude'. Seriously - if my 12 year old gets that, Michele should know too.

Yes, but your 12-year old is more mature than Me-chelle - seriously...

• Love 9

I'm 57 yrs old; a New York Italian and I knew when I was 8 years old that white is reserved for the bride. You don't wear white to a wedding as a guest. Years ago, black was a no no also, as it did indicate mourning. I understand that one has changed for a time now, but you know what? I'm still a little uncomfortable wearing a black dress to a wedding....I would think that Grandma Duggar would know those rules of fashion etiquette and why she didn't and doesn't open her mouth to Michelle and correct her on things, is beyond me.

• Love 1

I confess... I've worn a black, sparkly dress to a wedding. It was held in the evening at a swanky hotel. I didn't know it was a fashion faux pas. Now I feel bad.

Don't, Joe. I think black isn't nearly as critical as white. People shouldn't be upstaging the bride, but a black cocktail-type dress at an evening wedding in the city. Perfectly normal these days, I think...

• Love 6

Don't, Joe. I think black isn't nearly as critical as white. People shouldn't be upstaging the bride, but a black cocktail-type dress at an evening wedding in the city. Perfectly normal these days, I think...

I went to a wedding two years ago. Both the MIL and the MOB wore black. I was taken aback since I found it strange. In the reception line I heard the father of the groom had recently passed away. Would make sense why.

• Love 2

The rule about not wearing white to weddings came from a time when women's regular day clothing looked more like their wedding clothing (think the 19th century). The idea is that a guest shouldn't try to upstage the bride -- or be mistaken for the bride. Neither of those things was in play here. I thought that J'chelle looked surprisingly good for J'chelle. The dress fit her, wasn't over-the-top in the modesty department, and was appropriate for the season. Think about the clothes that she wears all the time, and the clothes that she wears for television appearances and speaking engagements. She really just has no idea how to put herself together.

They all (J'chell, Jana, Jill and Jessa) looked (to me) like they were wearing thrift store clothes, not clothes purchses for the occassion, or even "Sunday best" that they save for special occassions. There's nothing inherintly wrong with thrift store clothes (I hope not, since I bought all of my work suits at thrift stores for years), but it takes a lot of work to find nice things. And, of course, your "finds" don't always fit extactly right and may need alteration.

That said, I thought that they all just looked really poorly put together and then, of course, they had to swaddle themselves in an extra bit of material for "modesty." That really galls me. The women of the state of Arkansas don't wander around looking like cheap hookers 24/7. There are plenty of cute, modestly cut dresses available for purchase. Jana's dress was cute and age appropriate and, as far as I could tell, completely appropriate for a wedding without the cardigan which just didn't work with that dress (IMO).

To me, Jill and Jessa looked that they just pulled stuff out of the Salvation Army bin until they had enough clothing to cover themselves. To me, that is a lot more disrepectful of the bride than wearing an ugly white-ish dress.

ETA: It just occurred to me that I could have said all of this much more succinctly: they weren't dressed like it was a special occassion. It doesn't matter how "thrifty" people are when buying clothes or how "modestly" they want to dress. You can tell when someone is dressed-up for an occassion -- and they weren't.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Love 12

Lets take what we wear, the wearing of white to a wedding, and what the Duggar girls wore at Amy's wedding to the Duggars and Their World thread or the Small Talk Thread unless we want to talk about the "unique" wedding dress Michelle wore at Amy's wedding. Thank you.

TABBYGIRL521, ON 09 SEPT 2015 - 3:25 PM, SAID:
Sheesh. I gotta go with Mayim. But I will say that this post caused one of those "LOL, scared the cats" moments.

And Michelle added an ANKLE PANEL? Because otherwise that dress was so very sexy?? Hahahahahahaha!!!! X infinity.

And I'm sorry to be so rude, but most bras that give you Nurse Ratchett boobs give you high boobs. Michelle's seemed to have been glued to her waist.

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 3

Pickles and Hairspray just posted that JB contributed $1,000 to some loon running for school board who is big on discrimination when it comes to LGBTQ issues.

All politics aside, I have two thoughts: (A) JB might have more money squirreled away that we think if he is willing to part with a thousand bucks so easily and (B) It says a lot about JB's character that he contributed more money to this campaign than the campaign to help his cancer-stricken friend, Clark Wilson. 

Edited by Guest

I would think that Grandma Duggar would know those rules of fashion etiquette and why she didn't and doesn't open her mouth to Michelle and correct her on things, is beyond me.

Funny you should mention Grandma. I was pretty sure that they were going to skip the wedding, given the happy couple's hijinks in the press the week before and Jim Bob's enthusiasm for shunning family members who offend him. It did occur to me that one reason they didn't might have been that Grandma seems to be particularly close to Famy and these days Jim Bob has an unusually strong incentive to stay in the will.

Because yeah, I'm sure Grandma knows the rules, but I'm also sure Michelle knows not to wear white, and I can't imagine she had that calf-skimming boat neck in her closet already. And I think Jill knows not to wear black, and that Jessa generally doesn't show up places where People is going to be taking pictures in a dress she wore already in front of three plus million people on national television back when it still fit. And for a group which makes as big a deal out of weddings as that family does, that seems like maybe enough odd choices to be deliberate.

I thought the dress was off-white and Mechelle didn't have a chance in hell of upstaging the bride, but it was still a tacky choice. On the other hand, it generated discussion, and attention is what she lives for. But still, I think it wasn't deliberate -- it's more that she's just basically an idiot.

• Love 2