Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: The Night Lila Died / S01.E15: It's All My Fault

Well, I can't say it is all that unexpected...but I am curious to know exactly how Frank "owed" Sam.

Although, I think that could be misdirection...Sam may have been calling someone else entirely and Frank was assigned to follow Sam by Annalise.

It did seem kind of quick.  How long would Lila have been just standing around on the roof?  If Frank was following Lila on someone else's orders, he could have popped out and done the deed as soon as Sam left, and maybe the phone call we see Sam make is just a red herring.  Hmm, the plot thickens.  I still tend to lean toward the idea that Frank did it on Sam's orders, but it could have been at the behest of someone else or I guess even on his own.

The COTW sort of felt like an afterthought and like the writers thought they just had to throw one in there. But it was sort of poorly developed and then ended abruptly and really didn't tie in with the finale drama. 

You know, I totally forgot about it!  It was taking all my meager mental energy to just keep the main plot threads straight, so there really wasn't any left over for the case of the week.  And really, it didn't feel like the writers put much effort into the COTW, anyway.  I have a feeling they were using all their mental energy on the main plot threads, too!

I liked Rebecca. I felt for her when she realized that Wes no longer had faith in her. She loved him and his paranoia set in motion the actions that led to her death. This is his real sin. 

Well, whoever killed her was wrong to do so (even though I won't miss her as a character), but IMO she brought a lot of his suspicion on herself by not being honest.  She didn't trust him to believe her about hiding in the tank AND worst of all she pretty much ruined Rudy's life and then lied about it to everyone to save herself.  That left holes in her story that Wes and the others were right to question IMO.

• Love 3

I'm a woman (I happen to be straight, it doesn't matter, but just giving Redhead Zombie my own perspective) and I find the actor who plays Laurel so, so, so attractive.  As the dead eyed sociopath she's turning out to be, not so much the character of Laurel, but Karla Souza herself?  I'm awestruck by how attractive I find her.  And her voice has this odd quality I really like.... like a weird accent or something?  Her eyes and her eyebrows, her glass cut cheekbones, I think she's such a beauty!  I can't answer why men do, but that's why I do.....

(Is this really her?  I just Google Imaged and a whole terrible bunch of photos like this one came up....http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EDFqmuHfAF0/SxS1WfgMGSI/AAAAAAAADNM/f-8o65ISFT8/s1600/Karla+Souza-53.jpg )

She reminds me of Neve Campbell.  Not really in the linked pic, but on the show.

By the time the reveal came through I was suspecting everyone, but really thought it might be Bonnie.  I still am not sure whether that conversation between Annalise and Frank with the "I didn't," ...  "Well, neither did I." was in reference to Sam's or Rebecca's death.

Before we saw Rebecca's body I thought that Annalise had been the one to let her go (based on her 'I'll just ask her nicely' comment) and was just throwing the others off by pretending she had escaped on her own.

Now I wonder if Annalise knew already that Rebecca was dead.  

It sucks about Oliver and I hope Connor stays with him.  Michaela and Laurel's more evil --or manipulative -- sides are fun to watch.  

Asher's bro-dude attitude makes me want to smack him, but it's obviously a front.

Edited by gameoff
  • Love 1

I just found out that Frank was brother of the brother/sister duo Glory from Buffy. I'm usually good with recognizing faces but I guess the beard and extra weight threw me off.

I really want the writers to tone down Asher next season. Those puns and that dancing are so damn corny, but he fill out a pair of slacks. Holy booty

Was Olivia Pope the mysterious call Nate made. Are we getting a crossover event lol.

I wonder if the show will pick up where we left or diva time jump.

• Love 2

Although, I think that could be misdirection...Sam may have been calling someone else entirely and Frank was assigned to follow Sam by Annalise. It was especially telling when she assumed Frank killed Rebecca at the end, as in she knew he has done it before.

Excellent point about misdirection.  This show has thrived on that all season long.  I didn't notice the timing: did Sam have time to call Frank, after leaving Lila: Frank to go to the roof (how did he do that entirely unnoticed?), commit the murder; Rebecca return and find the body in the water tower? 

Not only did Annalise assume Frank killed Rebecca: Frank assumed Annalise did.  i.e. each has reason to believe the other is capable. 

No. Annalise is not Wes' mother.

Near the end, when Annalise was comforting Wes, she either said "son" or "soon."  Either way, she was caring for him in a motherly way.   

• Love 1

I'm glad Viola Davis apparently clarified that Frank and Annalise could both clearly see Rebecca dead right in front of them. She did, right? Some reviewers didn't seem to think so but I thought they were clearly talking about the dead girl next to the washer-dryer at the end. What I couldn't decide was whether they were asking each other if they'd killed her, or Lila.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

Possible plot twists:

Aiden is having an affair with Oliver.- the show would do that just to torture me

"Lawyer" Nate called is Hannah <- this would be awesome

Laurel is actually completely sane (at this point i think everyone agrees she's a sociopath)

Bonnie is secretly in love with Frank

Annalise actually doesn't know anything <- now wouldn't that just be funny? 

• Love 3

Despite them dangeling us that large red herring last week (which I mostly felll for) that was very satisfying. I thought I would be mad if they mislead us with the reveal last week, but I'm really not. All the twists did feel organic and planed. That was an awesome finale and the final montage was amzing.

Could have done without the case of the week for the first hour, but that is all I have to complain about.

Oliver's sick.

He has HIV, he isn't sick. We have a ton of viruses in our bodies all the time, but we are only sick once they cause symptoms. With todays medications he'll live just as long as he would have done without HIV.

When his viral load is undectable and Connor takes truvada they can even have sex without condoms. It's a brave new world.

Does Analise know Frank actually killed Lila?

No.

Annaliese is a sociopath-but one with an oddly maternal bent. She's all but adopted Wes and I wouldn't be surprised at this point if she really *was* his mother.

She is not a sociopath, but yeah, she is probably Wes's mother.

Although, I think that could be misdirection...Sam may have been calling someone else entirely and Frank was assigned to follow Sam by Annalise. It was especially telling when she assumed Frank killed Rebecca at the end, as in she knew he has done it before.

If that is misdirection I'm actually going to be very mad. They made it clear that Sam called Frank and they promised before that we'd know who killed Lila by the end of the season and for me that includes who ordered the murder.

There is also the fact that Frank did not tell Analise about Lila, how he promised. Meaning he knew she was dead, long before anybody else did, which means he ordered the hit.

Annalise? Could he have called her, then she called Frank? God, this show will be the death of me.

They can spin a lot on this show but there is no way they can spin that. Not after what we've seen her go through.

The only thing that makes sense is that someone killed Rebecca. You can't piss off that many desperate people and expect to stay alive.

Well yeah, she didn't die of a heart attack. ;)

'like this show hasn't given me one reason why wes thought rebecca was so special or more attractive than michaela or laurel

I thought they coregraphed that pretty well. They are both imensly damaged.

Annalise is the devil. And she's Wes' momma.

Told you guys weeks ago... well not about the devil part. :D

Why is it so common in this universe for young, at-the-time innocent people to have burner cellphones along with a smartphone?

Rebecca and Lila were dealing drugs.

until the "Oliver has HIV reveal". SEETHING. every gay couple/character does not need an AIDS storyline. my best friend (a gay male) had originally loved this show because it didn't really fit the stereotype of gays in tv and film (aka someone has AIDS! someone thinks they have AIDS!). he hasn't watched this episode yet, but i know he'll be less than thrilled.

i know it seems as if i'm being reductive but seriously, it's been done SO.MANY.TIMES.

Nobody on this show has AIDS and nobody will get AIDS, if they take their medication.

I do agree that it would have been nice to have one show with gay characters, without a HIV storyline, but what can you do, it's a soapy melodrama we are watching here.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 4

I just found out that Frank was brother of the brother/sister duo Glory from Buffy. I'm usually good with recognizing faces but I guess the beard and extra weight threw me off.

So you're saying Frank's with Glory? They're working together? ... Do we suspect there may be some kind of connection between Frank and Glory?

For the record, I didn't recognize the actor - who's name I don't recall from either show - at all, but boy is he playing a different character now. [ETA: Charlie Weber]

Edited by lulee
  • Love 7

I was halfway right in my speculation that Frank killed Lila, but I thought it was because he was the baby's daddy. That he'd switched his hair for Sam's for the DNA test. But that got shot to hell when they found the body. This show makes my head spin.

WHY did Frank owe Sam, to the point he'd commit murder?

I was right there with you on this and when it fell apart, I went back to Rebecca.

Loved Michaela realizing that Cruela DeMommy was willing to settle for her becuase she found out that Aiden is on the DL.

Questions I want answered:

1) Who fits Rebecca text?

2) Who did Nate call?

3) Do we know for a fact that Frank was the person Sam called?

4) How much does Annalise Know?

5) How much does Bonnie know?

6) Am I going to continued to be subjected to the non-stop ass-wipe that is Asher? Because the more we see of him, the less I like him. I even like our murderers and suspected murderers better than him. Perhaps Asher killed Rebecca, he seemed awful jumpy when he answered the door and saw the ADA.

• Love 1

I do agree that it would have been nice to have one show with gay characters, without a HIV storyline, but what can you do, it's a soapy melodrama we are watching here.

I think the revelation falls under the Joss Whedon rule of "Give them what they need, not what they want."  It sets up a lot of drama for Connor and Oliver, but also a rare (for this show) socially-aware storyline about how HIV is no longer a death sentence, and does that acknowledge despite the the fact we have so much more knowledge and options about how to prevent HIV, there are still far too many young gay men who are seroconverting.

One thing that concerns me is that apparently Conrad Ricamora doesn't know if he's going to be asked back for Season 2, but I can't believe they'd set that story up and just drop it.

I haven't felt a lot of sympathy for Rebecca, mostly because she wouldn't have been as deep into the mess she found herself in if she'd just been completely honest with Annalise from the beginning.  But I have to admit, I found myself with a twinge of it when she found Lila's body floating in the water tank.  I also like how Annalise kept insisting that Rebecca was innocent, so desperate to believe that Sam's death was justified was she.

Does anyone know anything about the actor who played Rudy?  For such a small role in three episodes, he left quite an impression.

I couldn't stand Rebecca, I'm glad she's gone.  She was a nasty piece of work.

I don't see Laurel as a sociopath.  I think she kept Michaela's ring because she feared Michaela might out them all; Lauren knew that by keeping the ring, Michaela would stay quiet, I thought that was very smart.

I think Wes might have killed Rebecca because he felt responsible for getting them into the entire mess, since he was the one who vouched for Rebecca and I think in the end, he felt Rebecca was lying.   However, I have a strange feeling that Michaela might have done it; she was pretty angry at her.  

Rebecca was her own worst enemy.  She was nasty, snarky and thought she was a special snowflake.  Annalise realized why Rebecca was acting that way, but Rebecca was nasty to her too.  Why didn't she just said, "I don't know who killed Lila.  I found her dead in the water tank."  She said she was afraid no one would believe her.  Why not?  I mean the girl looked like she weighed less than one hundred pounds?  How did she manage to kill Lila and drag her up to the water tank all by herself?  I mean even when they showed Frank strangling her, it took him awhile, it would have taken Rebecca longer.  

As for the HIV storyline, yes it's been done before, but so has the priest as pedophile storyline.  I think Oliver's revelation challenges Conner, who has been pretty much, ME, ME, ME all season.  Now he has to suit up, show up and be serious.  Also, I'm an old lady and I remember when being HIV positive was a death sentence, you were HIV positive, you were dead in a year, I saw so many co workers and friends die all through the 1980's.  So maybe they can show that being HIV positive isn't the death sentence it was thirty years ago.

ETA the music I was looking for was at the very end when we find out who killed Lila, they have it listed as "Black by The Soft Moon."

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

Could you imagine thinking you're going to law school for an amazing education and wind up in...this? lol

ETA: Why was the prosecutor questioning Asher? Interesting that he's the only one she went to see.

Edited by lovetowrite73
  • Love 5

Taking a step back, it's dawning on me how truly awful Rebecca is. 

From what we were shown, she engineered humiliating Lila by fucking her supposed virginal boyfriend and faking a text.

She knew from minutes after where Lila's body was and let Lila's family twist for in the wind for months for no apparent reason. (She could have made an anonymous call at any time).

She drugs someone to the point of psychosis.

TPTB really want to make sure their murder victims are as unsympathetic as possible.

Another thing on further observation: We're to believe that not one, but two grownass men were able to walk into the sorority house where Lila was last seen, and nobody noticed them or made them persons of interests? And that Rebecca went sopping wet out of the sorority house, across town to be noticed as wet by Rudy, again with no one noticing or at least remembering when Lila was found in a water tank?

ETA: Why was the prosecutor questioning Asher? Interesting that he's the only one she went to see.

He could just be the first stop of all 5. As I said above, though, it would seem fairly obvious that 4 of Anna's clerks are closer to Anna and spend more time with her. Starting with the outsider seems like a good move.

(Edited because Rebecca and Lila are different people.)

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 7

It's more than a little reductive that it's HIV. Why can't he have syphillis?

Or herpes. Incurable and inconvenient, but not devastating and life altering as HIV.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Or herpes. Incurable and inconvenient, but not devastating and life altering as HIV.

But there isn't a big debate in the gay community about syphilis or herpes prophylaxis.

God, even thinking about it again is like "ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch."  I must be more emotionally fragile than I thought if the lives of a fictional couple is hitting me this hard.

• Love 3

After reading an interview with Peter Norwak, I realized that I was wasting my time trying to figure out who the murderers are because he makes it up as he goes along. However, if the facts stay as they are now, Annalise, Bonnie, and Asher really are the best of this moral ambivalent bunch. Scary as hell.

One thing that concerns me is that apparently Conrad Ricamora doesn't know if he's going to be asked back for Season 2, but I can't believe they'd set that story up and just drop it.

Unbelievable! I would have thought that they would have put Conrad on contract before beginning such a huge story. 

• Love 2
Another thing on further observation: We're to believe that not one, but two grownass men were able to walk into the sorority house where Lila was last seen, and nobody noticed them or made them persons of interests? And that Lila went sopping wet out of the sorority house, across town to be noticed as wet by Rudy, again with no one noticing or at least remembering when Lila was found in a water tank?

You mean Rebecca.  Actually, I don't think it's that strange; maybe men come into that house often.  Also some folks are very self centered, they're into themselves and their friends and their lives and don't even notice what's going on around them.  I see people every day walking while texting, not even noticing where they are.  Rebecca walked passed the sorority girls, who were too busy talking about a friend of theirs, to even notice Rebecca.    The basketball player couldn't identify Rebecca correctly.  

Aiden is having an affair with Oliver.- the show would do that just to torture me

I can see Aidan coming back next season but not as someone Oliver had hooked up with. I can see the writers doing it to mess with Connor/Oliver if they're still together because judging by how vindictive Connor was in telling Michaela about him and Aidan, I do think he acted like someone who either still had feelings for Aidan or really cared about him when they were hooking up in school. And doing that would also mess with Connor and Michaela's friendship because of her past relationship with Aidan.

The basketball player couldn't identify Rebecca correctly.

Honestly, the way they showed the guy bump into Rebecca, I'm not surprised he couldn't identify her. He had his headphones likely blaring in his ear, it was just a sideways shoulder bump with Rebecca and he kept walking and it was dark out. 

After reading an interview with Peter Norwak, I realized that I was wasting my time trying to figure out who the murderers are because he makes it up as he goes along.

That's what concerns me about this show because it's often the potential problem with shows like this. The writers and creators will try to act like they always knew what they were doing but in fact, the longer the show lasts, the more they just sort of go by the seat of their pants. And for mystery/thriller type shows like that, if the writers don't have some kind of long term plan, that's when you get things getting really convoluted, really, really fast. It's actually especially concerning that Norwalk didn't even have the first season at least fully mapped out. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Another thing on further observation: We're to believe that not one, but two grownass men were able to walk into the sorority house where Lila was last seen, and nobody noticed them or made them persons of interests? And that Lila went sopping wet out of the sorority house, across town to be noticed as wet by Rudy, again with no one noticing or at least remembering when Lila was found in a water tank?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don't think we've been shown everything that went down that night yet.  They showed those girls coming out of the sorority house a couple times talking, making sure the audience heard whatever inane story the girl was telling as they walked by Rebecca. Next season may tell more of that story where we see whatever happened inside the sorority house.  Although it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that no one noticed these things.  It was a sorority house where seemingly Sam had been before.  Maybe they knew who he was so no one batted an eye.  Frank is shady, it's not really a stretch to believe he got in and out without anyone seeing him.  Maybe Rebecca was sprayed with beer or some other alcohol and so no one really thought twice about her being wet.  It's a sorority house....weird shit happens in sorority houses. 

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 1
Asher's bro-dude attitude makes me want to smack him, but it's obviously a front.

I do like that his bro-dudeness is in play with Conner, too. The fist bump after he got his results was kind of funny.

I wonder if the show will pick up where we left or diva time jump.

I don't know what a diva time jump is, but it sounds fabulous! :)

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 4

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I was a bit disappointed that Frank was the murderer, mostly because he apparently did it at Sam's behest.  That means that Sam is essentially the murderer.  The show in general is so twisty, and Sam actually having been responsible for Lila's death is not twisty at all (and not very interesting, IMO).

I don't think that we'll find out it was someone else whom Sam was talking to on the phone.  He told Lila that he was going to go straight home and tell Annelise, which he did not do, so he was lying to her when he said that.  So there was something premeditated going on with Sam that night, and it's too much of a stretch to say that he was deceiving Lila at the same time that someone else was arranging for Lila to be murdered.

I don't like the we-make-it-up-as-we-go-along approach that the writers take.  It's a setup for inconsistencies.

Conrad Ricamora, who plays Oliver, is in The King and I at Lincoln Center until July 5th.  Most fall shows don't start shooting until after that.  I can't see him not being in the second season at all.  There's a lot of potentially interesting ways to go with the Connor-Oliver storyline.  Having the second season open with Connor having dumped Oliver off-screen.would be really anti-climactic.

Do people really act like Asher in real life in mixed company?  Most bros I know tone down the crude sexual stuff in front of girls-who-aren't-one-of-the-guys like Michaela and Laurel, especially in the beginning when he barely knew them.  His behavior seems really false to me.

Edited by mikem

I really want the writers to tone down Asher next season. Those puns and that dancing are so damn corny, but he fill out a pair of slacks. Holy booty

Tone down Asher and you lose the one comic relief in the show. Besides I think he's gonna get pulled into the dark crap going on next season and the puns will be the only thing keeping him sane. Money says that the prosecutor is gonna use him as a mole/rat against the others.

But yeah, dat ass. Nice.

Was Olivia Pope the mysterious call Nate made. Are we getting a crossover event lol.

I seriously thought the same thing! Power players on Olivia and Annalise's level must run in the same circles ;)

• Love 3

What. An. Episode!  That was masterful all around and it's back for another season!  Bless Based Viola Davis for bringing her A-game every single minute of this series.  So Frank is a terrible person (and a chillingly good liar) and now I really want to know his back story and his connection with the Keatings along with Bonnie's.  What a tragic end for Lila and Rebecca, that's seriously sad.  They made the biggest mistake in their lives getting involved with the Keatings. 

• Love 2

I still don't feel sad for Rebecca.  If she'd told the truth in the beginning, she wouldn't have ended up dead underneath the stairs in Annaliese's basement.  I've been sick of her bullshit all year; just an emo chick with a bad hairdo.

• Love 9

I know we're all torn on the HIV storyline but, since they went there, I'm actually glad it wasn't Connor. I think a the promiscuous gay man getting HIV would have been doing the typical, and could have been seen as Connor being punished for being sexually active. Not that I'm glad Oliver is HIV+, but I think the show could really send a reminder that it only takes once.

• Love 9

This show is freaking brilliant!  Look at what the writers accomplished last night.  There were things that seemed apparent but then when you look more closely and you read all of the speculation here and I'm sure on other forums, you realize that any of it is possible.  On the surface it sure looked like Sam called Frank to tell him to send Lila to oblivion but as others have pointed out, why would Sam have to identify himself.  His name would have displayed on Frank's cell phone.  All that we know is that Frank did kill Lila but at whose request/order isn't entirely clear.  We seem to have a Rebecca who has, in the words of John Cleese in the famous dead parrot skit, "ceased to be".  Did Frank kill her?  Maybe not since he asked Annalise "what do we do now" implying that he found her in her current state.  Frank is kind of a poor man's Ray Donovan, a "fixer" who solves problems for the Keatings (although Annalise may not know that Frank does his thing for Sam too).  His back story is probably a gold mine for the writers.  An even greater mother lode is Bonnie.  She may be the most fascinating character in the play.  She clearly has some very deep and probably bizarre history with Annalise and may have been shtupping Sam on the side as well.  Liza Weil plays her to perfection. There be a lot of secrets there and the writers can pry them loose one by one over time.  Laurel and Connor are sociopaths.  Asher is a putz.  Wes is, well who knows what Wes is and Machela is whiny and perpetually annoying.  As far as the Grande Dame herself goes, watching Viola Davis chew up the scenery every week is one of the great treats on the tube.  This may be the best assortment of broken and entirely unlikeable characters to ever appear on one TV show.  Gotta love it!

• Love 3

I'm satisfied that we know who killed Lila...given that there's no one left on canvas who cared about her, I doubt they'd keep dragging that out in the second season.

I tolerated Rebecca because Wes did. Never understood why he felt drawn to her. And never really felt like she understood how lucky she was that 1) Wes stood up for her and 2) the rest of the Keating 5, and Annalise, essentially screwed up their whole lives helping her. But when she realizes Wes has doubts and the first thing she does is find something to nail them with (security guard) -- that was just low. Plus the Rudy thing. She was dead to me then, sneaky snake level behavior. (That's not to say that they weren't all dumbasses to get themselves in this situation, but if they hadn't, well, there wouldn't be a show).

They need to tone down Asher's douchebro antics, but I have to admit Matt McGorry cracked me up with his physical comedy, first with the Irish jig and then the bimbo bookshelving. I couldn't believe it when I saw a smile on Bonnie's face.

Not happy about Oliver's diagnosis. It felt really retro, like some mid-90s Poignant and Important Homosexual Storyline. But it's true, it's HIV not AIDS, so there's that. Someone upthread mentioned a possible false positive; I didn't realize that that was a possibility.

Michaela chose herself! I rewound that scene twice, it was so satisfying.

Curious to see what big gun they're going to get to play Nate's lawyer next season. That role has Major Guest Star written all over it.

• Love 3

This show is freaking brilliant!  Look at what the writers accomplished last night.  There were things that seemed apparent but then when you look more closely and you read all of the speculation here and I'm sure on other forums, you realize that any of it is possible.  On the surface it sure looked like Sam called Frank to tell him to send Lila to oblivion but as others have pointed out, why would Sam have to identify himself.  His name would have displayed on Frank's cell phone.  All that we know is that Frank did kill Lila but at whose request/order isn't entirely clear.  We seem to have a Rebecca who has, in the words of John Cleese in the famous dead parrot skit, "ceased to be".  Did Frank kill her?  Maybe not since he asked Annalise "what do we do now" implying that he found her in her current state.  Frank is kind of a poor man's Ray Donovan, a "fixer" who solves problems for the Keatings (although Annalise may not know that Frank does his thing for Sam too).  His back story is probably a gold mine for the writers.  An even greater mother lode is Bonnie.  She may be the most fascinating character in the play.  She clearly has some very deep and probably bizarre history with Annalise and may have been shtupping Sam on the side as well.  Liza Weil plays her to perfection. There be a lot of secrets there and the writers can pry them loose one by one over time.  Laurel and Connor are sociopaths.  Asher is a putz.  Wes is, well who knows what Wes is and Machela is whiny and perpetually annoying.  As far as the Grande Dame herself goes, watching Viola Davis chew up the scenery every week is one of the great treats on the tube.  This may be the best assortment of broken and entirely unlikeable characters to ever appear on one TV show.  Gotta love it!

Sam called Frank (assuming it was Frank) from a payphone.

And I wouldn't call Connor a sociopath. Sociopaths are incapable of feeling remorse for anything and Connor does have remorse and does feel guilty for the things he's done.

• Love 2

What I don't get is that Sam's killing was justified whether or not he killed Lila. Wes was protecting Rebecca's life by hitting Sam. I guess you could argue he didn't need to apply lethal force (you're only justified in applying the force required to stop the attack) but that's a pretty hard thing to gauge. Moreover, even if Sam *were* guilty of killing Lila, killing him would never be "justified" on that fact alone. You don't have the right to kill someone based on whether or not you think *they* are a murderer. Wes was justified in hitting and killing Sam *only* because of what Sam was doing in the moment to Rebecca--what he did to Lila is utterly irrelevant to whether or not Wes is guilty. So I don't get the desperation to prove Sam was himself guilty, aside from their desire to assuage their own guilt over killing him, if he somehow "deserved" it. But the victim of a killing being a bad dude doesn't mean anyone is morally or legally justified in killing him, aside from what he was doing wrongfully to Rebecca at that instant.

ETA: Sam would have had to identify himself to whomever he was calling because he was using a payphone wasn't he? His name wouldn't appear in anyone's caller ID if calling from a payphone. Or am I not remembering that scene accurately?

Edited by xtwheeler
  • Love 2

I just watched the scene again.  Sam got on the phone and said:  "This is Sam.  I need you to do what we talked about.  You owe me."

Interesting and yes, he was on a pay phone.

What we talked about?

It wasn't that Sam's killing was justified, but I think Wes wanted to make sure that they were justified in suspecting him, which brought them to his home and led to the murder.  

Edited by Neurochick

My bad on the payphone but the writers are clever enough to give up just enough information to lead to what you think is a conclusion but not enough to be certain.  They have given themselves a whole bunch of Pandora's Boxes to open next season.  It must be a real high writing this kind of wild stuff and seeing it make it to the air.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/26/how-get-away-murder-boss-killer-finale-and-whats-next

This is an interview with Pete Norwalk, the series creator, which may or may not quell a lot of the speculations that have been posted to this board. I'm not using a spoiler tag since you have the option to read or not read the article even though Pete has given a few insights into season 2.

I really enjoyed Rebecca and found her character traits, though flawed, is no more flawed than K5, Bonnie, Frank, or even Annalise. Wes and Rebecca were really good together and I think, as Annalise said, helped him to grow up. As with who killed Lila and Sam, HTGAWM had to kill Rebecca to set up S2.

Edited by Waldo13
  • Love 3

I don't think the character specifically said what he was positive for, by the way. They said they were getting tested for STDs, but didn't specifically say which test was positive. And no, we did't see Connor's result either.

• Love 1

You know, I had some thoughts while watching the episode, mostly paranoid thoughts which I have no proof on whatsoever:

In terms of Connor and Oliver's story, obviously I find it very suspicious when test results are said over the phone. On some cop/detective shows, this would imply that the 'doctor' on the other end may not be an actual doctor. The test results could be skewed or untrue in some way. So, paranoid me thought 'hey, maybe Oliver's being FRAMED. Maybe the test results were switched somehow!'. Not that it makes ANY sense whatsoever, but that was my thoughts when watching it. I honestly don't know why this would happen. If anything, Connor's results could have been a 'false' positive and have him paranoid about being sick and that might push him to confess his sins, or whatever. But hey, I'm not a professional writer.

Frank....ok, you did almost everything right but you should be lucky that your facial hair didn't fall onto Lila's body at any point during the strangulation/dumping of the body. I mean, if Frank is smart enough to wear gloves, he should be smart enough to put on a ski mask. At least the reveal could have been equally as dramatic if he whipped off the mask after dumping the body. But ok, cool. 

I'm gonna have fun trying to come up with crazy theories for Rebecca's killer during the next few months.

Asher and Bonnie are pretty much caught at this point. Now it's just a race to see who tells Annalise first. 

I felt sorry for Rebecca for most of the episode, though she was actually really sketchy. I guess we're going to see a lot more of her story in season 2, which I actually don't mind. I hated her at first but now I'm intrigued. Although...dick move toward Rudy, there. And to Lila, although Lila was being unreasonable too.

God, I'm just thankful there's no more Lila.

Also, Jesus guys, you don't tie someone up and expect things to be ok! Of course she had to die! There was no other option at that point; she was gonna go tell the police once that happened. They screwed up.

I wonder who's going to crack first, though. Somebody's gonna crack first and tell the wrong person something. I'll bet it's Connor to Oliver. 

• Love 2

I don't think the character specifically said what he was positive for, by the way. They said they were getting tested for STDs, but didn't specifically say which test was positive. And no, we did't see Connor's result either.

That's why I posted that Oliver is sick. I have learned not to take anything for granted where this show is concerned. I once had routine blood tests for something else and it was discovered I had ovarian cancer. You just never know!

Here's my take:

Sam didn't call Frank. Either Bonnie or Annalise had Frank follow Lila, saw Sam leave and then went up there and killed her. I believe Frank called a divorce lawyer?? Just not Frank. He is too loyal to Annalise.

Did they say Oliver had HIV or was sick? I thought he said he was sick which doesn't neccesarily mean HIV. 

I have no idea who killed Rebecca, but I don't think it was Annalise or Frank.

I think Annalise will get Nate off, not just in bed!

I think Matt McGorry (Asher) is so special and talented.  I would hate it if he left the show.  He's brilliant on Orange is the New Black and here.  It is weird, and he does seem like he's on a totally different show than the rest of them.  But.... I love him!  :(  There must be some intent or plan in place to have him so deliberately out of the murder team, right?

The actor who plays Rebecca was also killed on The Killing -- she's the subject of the first season and pilot so I don't think that can be a spoiler.

Is Rebecca 1000% dead no doubt at all in this?  I don't want to believe it.

Let's say Annalise is Wes's mother.  Would she be okay putting a hit on the woman that her son loves?  I don't think so?  If so why?  So many "What Ifs" but still it doesn't seem right :(  Wasn't AK the one so hellbent on proving her innocence for reasons no one could really understand, besides "She got Wes"?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
So I don't get the desperation to prove Sam was himself guilty, aside from their desire to assuage their own guilt over killing him, if he somehow "deserved" it.

I think you answered your own question. Yes his being guilty of murdering Lila does not give them the legal or even moral right to kill him but the whole sequence of events that night started because of the belief that he murdered Lila and that Rebecca was in danger. Having that all be a lie would have made what they're already having to live with, even harder. His being guilty after all allows them to be able to tell themselves, "we were just trying to help someone and stop a murderer and things got out of hand and so we aren't monsters."

Wes and Rebecca were really good together and I think, as Annalise said, helped him to grow up.

I didn't interpret Annalise's comments there as positive. She basically tells Rebecca she was worried from the beginning about her and Wes being together because she recognized Rebecca for who she was right from the start. Because according to Annalise, they are somewhat similar and she proceeds to call Rebecca angry and suspicious and manipulative. I took her saying that Rebecca as well as herself made Wes grow up because after all this he can't possibly remain that naive, wide-eyed kid he was when he first started the program. 

YMMV but I don't see how Rebecca was good for Wes in any way or hell how they were good for each other at all since as much as he thought he was in love, things eventually culminated in her being murdered. Who knows, if Wes hadn't been so obsessed with her, she might have just gone to jail but still be alive. But all that being said, being with Rebecca ultimately led to Sam's murder which has ruined all four students' life forever and then despite Wes willing to go so far for her, Rebecca still didn't trust him enough with the whole truth, ultimately leading him to be suspicious of her and finally culminating in her own death. 

Tom Everett Scott's priest had issues.    

I'm gonna assume Aja Naomi King isn't from the South, let alone Louisiana, because I don't know what the hell kind of accent she was going for in her scene opposite Lynn Whitfield.  I wish she hadn't tried because I was so distracted by how awful it was that I missed the impact of what Michaela said at first.  Watching it again and ignoring it made me appreciate it more.  I always liked Michaela, was 100% on her side when she confronted Aidan about his relationship with Connor, and glad that she's not so desperate to take the bait from his mother.  She took a lot of shit for her reaction towards Aidan at that party, but I remember thinking that Aidan WAS being strangely touchy-feely with his co-worker, regardless of said co-worker's sexual orientation.    

I became intrigued with Frank the minute he crawled out of Laurel's ass, and went full-on like after his expression at seeing Bonnie/Asher going at it in the parking lot.  But the reveal just made me laugh.  There were zero signs that he had anything to do with Lila before the reveal, but he was the only one left who could have done it, so why not? In any case, I was never invested in the Lila murder mystery, and this episode could have had at least 30 minutes cut without dragging things out.  Also, I have to wonder how skinny Charlie Weber was on Buffy if he's "gained weight" on this show.  They layer him with clothing, but he's clearly not a big guy at all.    

I LOVED Bonnie for calling Laurel and the others out about their bullshit. I find little appealing about her relationship with Asher, but he makes her smile, so have at it.  Lord knows she gets no respect from Annalise, so I guess you get your happiness where you can.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

After reading an interview with Peter Norwak, I realized that I was wasting my time trying to figure out who the murderers are because he makes it up as he goes along.

That's interesting, because I basically came here to congratulate him (through the forum) for such tight writing. My favorite part about the finale was all the flashbacks -- when it comes to murder mysteries, my default position is always "Nah, you're lying!" so to see most everyone revealed as having been telling the truth was so interesting to me. The Rebecca and Lila scene in the water tank was heartbreaking, because of her complete change in demeanor. On the other hand, Rudy on drugs was really hard to watch (especially when he was screaming "Mommy!" like a child), so it's interesting to see the scales of justice balance...a little.

This was about as dark (mood-wise) as the Pilot, so while Peter Nowalk may have learned at (in my opinion, perpetual optimistic realist) Shonda's feet, he's certainly blazed his own trail, leaving bodies in his wake.

Rebecca's murder is an interesting contrast to Sam's: our last impression of Sam was his hateful words to Annalise, chasing the kids through the house and strangling Rebecca. Our last impression of Rebecca was sobbing over Lila's body in the water tank. Maybe whoever killed her is the next one who "deserves to die."

Good first season -- hoping for an Emmy nod for Viola Davis or we can send Frank over to "take care of" the ATAS. Should be a fun spring/summer of speculation!

• Love 4

And no, we did't see Connor's result either.

I thought we saw Connor's results. I think there was a scene where he told Asher he was clean and they fist-bumped. He said he would need to be tested again in three months and Asher cut him off saying he wasn't interested in all the details.