Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 3/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, annzeepark914 said:

What is it with people? Why don't they look up a word (that they're not familiar with) before using it? 

Right?! Reality show participants are especially egregious about mispronouncing words—Real Housewives are among the worst. My all time fave Hall of Shamer moment like this was when one of the Housewives was discussing another Housewife said she is “the epitome of class and manners” only she pronounced it ‘epi-TOAM.” I snorted in disbelief over that moment, especially since the editors left it in to make her look like an even bigger moron than usual! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Back in the 90's, when I worked for a nonprofit, I heard an associate, while discussing an applicant, mention the person's resume. She pronounced it "reh-zoom". I don't know how everyone in the mtg kept a straight face, but we did (despite no one liking this particular, nasty woman!)

• LOL 8
22 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Personal pet peeve - I cry too easily.  Yesterday we had a meeting with my mother's doctor where we basically all agreed to a plan going forward for her care which includes, essentially, that she doesn't get out of bed anymore.  Anyway I, who was supposed to be the family rock who was there to provide a reassuring presence and advocate for my elderly parents was the one who ended up crying about the whole thing.  Sigh.  So much for projecting a mature, professional image.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's completely natural to cry during stressful times, even if the situation is much easier than what you describe. There's nothing immature or unproffesional about it, it's human.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

My brother did, in his mid-50s, and I agree.

It's sad, and I'm sorry for your loss, but yeah.

4 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Right?! Reality show participants are especially egregious about mispronouncing words—Real Housewives are among the worst. My all time fave Hall of Shamer moment like this was when one of the Housewives was discussing another Housewife said she is “the epitome of class and manners” only she pronounced it ‘epi-TOAM.” I snorted in disbelief over that moment, especially since the editors left it in to make her look like an even bigger moron than usual! 

Gotta be Ramona, lol.  But could be many.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I tend to cut people a little slack if their (mis)pronunciations show that they've learned by reading, not necessarily listening.  And that's not at all because I'm not sure how old I was before I realized that epi-tome (which I'd read) and e-pitomee (which I'd heard) were the same word.  (Hey, epitome means the best of something, and 'tome' means book, and books are good...)

Edited by SoMuchTV
Clarifying my (perceived) pronunciation
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

And that's not at all because I'm not sure how old I was before I realized that epitome (which I'd read) and e-pitomee (which I'd heard) were the same word. 

I had the same thing with reading awry (pronounced ah-ree in my head)  and hearing awry (spelled arye in my head).  I was just glad I never tried to use ah-ree in a sentence.  LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I tend to cut people a little slack if their (mis)pronunciations show that they've learned by reading, not necessarily listening.

Yeah, some pronunciation errors are rather eye raising, but there are times where someone pronounces something wrong and it's completely understandable they'd only ever come across it in print and, having never heard it said (e.g. it's not generally used in social conversation and it's not a term used in their line of work), could think it was pronounced that way.  I can't recall specific examples right now, but I know my years of Jeopardy! watching have taught me a few things I'd been pronouncing wrong in my mind when reading them, with J! being the first time I heard them said.

On the flip side, there are misspellings that make sense if it's a word one has heard said but never seen written. 

How common it has become to see "could've" and "should've" spelled "could of" and "should of" is beyond me, though -- those don't seem like words that many people could have just heard said, not seen written.  So is it some disconnect, not thinking about them being short for "could have" and "should have" (since I doubt these folks pronounce or spell "have" on its own as "of")? 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Calvada said:

One that bothers me is people using "phase" when they mean "faze."   

YES. Also people using the wrong version of "pique/peek/peak". 

I've also seen people use "waste" when they mean "waist", which gives a lot of sentences a whole new meaning. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

YES. Also people using the wrong version of "pique/peek/peak". 

I've also seen people use "waste" when they mean "waist", which gives a lot of sentences a whole new meaning. 

I do fine with these, but I didn't even know about "faze" until a few years ago. 

4 minutes ago, Anela said:

.Oh, for crying out loud, I need to get off here. I keep messing things up.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

I remember being thankful I didn’t have to SAY the word “paradigm” until after I heard it used.  There are a whole list of words pronounced differently in the US than back home, some are spelled differently too.  Separated by a common language and all that!

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Peeve this morning, technology. Does anyone know how to compress a photo on an Android so I can upload a profile pic here again? The awesome site owner has been trying to help me figure out my long term forum issues and we tried merging a new account and my existing one and it erased my profile pic (which is fine, I wanted to put up a new one). But every pic in my phone is being rejected for being too large.

3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Peeve this morning, technology. Does anyone know how to compress a photo on an Android so I can upload a profile pic here again? The awesome site owner has been trying to help me figure out my long term forum issues and we tried merging a new account and my existing one and it erased my profile pic (which is fine, I wanted to put up a new one). But every pic in my phone is being rejected for being too large.

shrinkpictures.com

Note:  not a secure site, but I've used for years with no problems.

• Useful 2

People who make you feel guilty when you don't finish a meal, staring at you, commenting that "you're not finishing it?"  Especially in front of a child, or commenting on kids.  The philosophy of cleaning one's plate or else is no longer encouraged as it can lead to disordered eating.  My son's nanny would sometimes make that comment.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

It’s time for this pet peeve again.  I cringe every time I hear someone call it “Patty’s Day”!

FF005751-C318-48A4-A06D-782DE8E0FBEB.jpeg

Can it be “Paddy?” Asking for a friend…

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

It’s time for this pet peeve again.  I cringe every time I hear someone call it “Patty’s Day”!

Do people from Ireland get upset at how some celebrate it here?  Like it's one big drinking fest? 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Do people from Ireland get upset at how some celebrate it here?  Like it's one big drinking fest? 

The only thing I hear people I know from Ireland commenting on is the food that has come to be associated with St Patricks Day.  They aren't chowing down on corned beef and cabbage (at least not tradtitionally) in Ireland on March 17th!

I just want to take a moment to thank everyone for the supportive comments directed my way with regard to my tears and my elderly mother!  Your kindness was very much appreciated believe me!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Caoimhe said:

I’m part Irish, what’s wrong with saying Patty’s?  Personally I don’t like Paddy’s. 

2 hours ago, Adiba said:

Can it be “Paddy?” Asking for a friend…

Yes!  We usually just call it Paddy’s Day.

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

No.  In fact they started closing the Dublin pubs until later in the day because of the drunken chaos in the city as it’s a holiday and people were drinking from early morning.  So the drink-fest isn’t particularly North American. 

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

The only thing I hear people I know from Ireland commenting on is the food that has come to be associated with St Patricks Day.  They aren't chowing down on corned beef and cabbage (at least not tradtitionally) in Ireland on March 17th!

You’re absolutely right. The only time I’ve seen corned beef and cabbage was in places catering to tourists.  

1 hour ago, partofme said:

I’m part Irish, what’s wrong with saying Patty’s?  Personally I don’t like Paddy’s. 

It’s an American-ism I suppose.  Officially the day is Lá Fhéile Pádraig and Paddy is the short version of Pádraig.  It’s just a pet peeve of mine.

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

It’s an American-ism I suppose.  Officially the day is Lá Fhéile Pádraig and Paddy is the short version of Pádraig.  It’s just a pet peeve of mine.

Patty is for Patricia, Paddy is for Patrick. Your peeve is valid (as all peeves are)because Patty is incorrect regarding the religious holiday of Saint Patrick.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

St.

The Brits don't use a period with abbreviations that end with the last letter of the word. So it's Dr for Doctor, Mrs for Missus, and St for Saint. It actually makes more sense than the way we do it, but it looks strange to us.

This has been a public service announcement from the Punctuation Police.  👮‍♀️

• Useful 8
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

This is petty, but what is with people putting on makeup for the hot tub? Was just with someone who spent half an hour putting on makeup ... just to get in the hot tub. Of course, I as the one not wearing any makeup had to take a bunch of pix of her with her false eyelashes and contoured makeup so she could post these shots to her social media.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

The Brits don't use a period with abbreviations that end with the last letter of the word. So it's Dr for Doctor, Mrs for Missus, and St for Saint. It actually makes more sense than the way we do it, but it looks strange to us.

This has been a public service announcement from the Punctuation Police.  👮‍♀️

The BBC News Style Guide agrees with you, but the Cambridge Handbook for Editors, Authors and Publishers (Butcher's Copy-editing) says to never abbreviate "Saint", so it seems to be entirely subjective.

On 3/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've gained a solid appreciation for dying in one's sleep, even if "too young".

I hope to die in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers...

😆

• LOL 11

Despite the deafening clamor for a multi-post debate on the use of periods in abbreviations, I'm recusing myself. Sure it's all subjective, just like anything where humans make up sets of rules. But there are overwhelming ways of doing things and not doing things. I have a lifetime of experience with this in American book publishing, so I know a little bit.

Besides, I'm married to St. Francis of Assisi.  😇

• Love 6
On 3/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Gotta be Ramona, lol.  But could be many.

Believe it or not, it was Gretchen Rossi from RHOC! Not exactly the epitome of intellectual brilliance in Real Housewivesdom obviously, especially considering her final season’s tag line was, “When the going gets tough, I just get stronger and stronger.” ((groan…)) 🤦🏼‍♀️

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Believe it or not, it was Gretchen Rossi from RHOC! Not exactly the epitome of intellectual brilliance in Real Housewivesdom obviously, especially considering her final season’s tag line was, “When the going gets tough, I just get stronger and stronger.” ((groan…)) 🤦🏼‍♀️

Yeah.  Forgot about her.

• Love 1

My Peeve.  I love Movies.  Why doesn’t Turner Classic and the Movie Channel go into the vault and put different movies, new or old on t.v?  Every month, it’s the same ole movies all the time.  Is it a movie rights money thing?  Or what?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

My Peeve.  I love Movies.  Why doesn’t Turner Classic and the Movie Channel go into the vault and put different movies, new or old on t.v?  Every month, it’s the same ole movies all the time.  Is it a movie rights money thing?  Or what?

Amen! It's the same old-same old, which is ridiculous because they have a gold mine of old movies. Does AMC, with their hosts, still exist? I used to enjoy watching old movies after listening to the host talk a little bit about the production.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Amen! It's the same old-same old, which is ridiculous because they have a gold mine of old movies. Does AMC, with their hosts, still exist? I used to enjoy watching old movies after listening to the host talk a little bit about the production.

I don’t know about AMC since they put on all those commercials.  Hardly watch unless I see something good.  I have a library of my favorites on the DVR.  It took awhile.  Lots of musicals, plus black n whites.  Husband made me tape “Great Expectations” last week as we watch it all the time, lol.  Sometimes I catch good ones on Starz and HBO.  There’s still so many, but I think the station has to pay for rights.  Turner is getting very boring, but I still watch.

• Love 2

On 3/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I tend to cut people a little slack if their (mis)pronunciations show that they've learned by reading, not necessarily listening.  And that's not at all because I'm not sure how old I was before I realized that epi-tome (which I'd read) and e-pitomee (which I'd heard) were the same word.  (Hey, epitome means the best of something, and 'tome' means book, and books are good...)

Years ago, I was with a friend who was reading Harry Potter to her son shortly after it was first published.  I apologized to her for my inadvertent giggle at her pronunciation of Hermione as Her Me Own.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:51 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

This is petty, but what is with people putting on makeup for the hot tub? Was just with someone who spent half an hour putting on makeup ... just to get in the hot tub. Of course, I as the one not wearing any makeup had to take a bunch of pix of her with her false eyelashes and contoured makeup so she could post these shots to her social media.

I have no idea what contoured makeup is, but if I were in that scenario, it, together with the camera phone, would have ended submerged in said hot tub.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 2

I'm kind of unhappy with my 2 jobs right now (I won't bore you with the details) and I've been looking for a new one. I'm sorry, but I just have to ask:

In the year of our lord 2022, why the hell is applying online still such a miserable undertaking?!?

FFS, the resume is one of the greatest inventions, isn't it? A document with your work history, skills, contact information, the whole shebang, surely that's enough to upload online and give a prospective employer a good look at your qualifications, right?

So why in the numerous circles of Hell do I have to not only upload my resume, but then fill out my work history and skills again later in the application? It's such a waste of time and effort! Why isn't the resume enough? What's the point of a resume's existence if it's not going to be used? I mean, is this some secret test of character like in Labyrinth or something?! 

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm kind of unhappy with my 2 jobs right now (I won't bore you with the details) and I've been looking for a new one. I'm sorry, but I just have to ask:

In the year of our lord 2022, why the hell is applying online still such a miserable undertaking?!?

FFS, the resume is one of the greatest inventions, isn't it? A document with your work history, skills, contact information, the whole shebang, surely that's enough to upload online and give a prospective employer a good look at your qualifications, right?

So why in the numerous circles of Hell do I have to not only upload my resume, but then fill out my work history and skills again later in the application? It's such a waste of time and effort! Why isn't the resume enough? What's the point of a resume's existence if it's not going to be used? I mean, is this some secret test of character like in Labyrinth or something?! 

I'm thinking that an application is mandated in a lot of cases.  Not sure if that's a legality within corporate structures, or an EEOC thing...  Someone here will likely know.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

From what I remember from my days hiring staff, the resume told you only what the applicant wanted you to know. The application told you what you (your company) wanted to know. 

To piggyback on this (as someone who had the same thoughts as @Wiendish Fitch when applying for jobs on her own before landing my current job), your resume is a bullet point/highlights; completing the application includes details and specifics of what your skills are and what you actually did. At least, that's how it was for me. It could be different for different fields.

Heading over to Chit-Chat as what I have to post is SO not a peeve!

On 3/14/2022 at 6:51 PM, kristen111 said:

I've been lately watching a Youtube feature called "Ask Eddie" where Film Noir fans write into Eddie Muller, host of Noir Alley on TCM, and a version of this question came up.  His answer was, as I understood it, to do with movie rights.  TCM doesn't own everything they show.  They pay to rent a certain number of movies in a certain amount of time, and therefore, apparently, feel the need to get their money's worth out of the number that they have paid for in that amount of time.

He also said, if I remember correctly, that he chooses films for Noir Alley by looking over the list that TCM provides.

Which is not to say personally that I don't understand the complaint myself, a lot of the time I see the same old standards on TCM and think "again?" but there is a certain economic situation at play in some cases.

"Ask Eddie" is a fun watch by the way.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 3/15/2022 at 5:20 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yes! I've dealt with this too. Some employers ask for the same information on different pages. So silly.

• Love 2