Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

If the masses at Target are anything to judge by, I've got good news: the pandemic is over. Maybe one in 10 people, including me, were masked. I almost started thanking people who were wearing them. Get ready for another variant. We are where we were last summer when mask mandates were relaxed. And then look what happened.

Why, WHY, is it so hard to just keep up with being super cautious until this shit is over COMPLETELY? (I know why; it's rhetorical.)

Same at my grocery store today.  I was one of a scant handful of shoppers wearing a mask, and I think most of the employees were unmasked, too.

• Love 1

Me:  What's in this?

Auntie (which is any random woman over 60): Good stuff

I've probably mentioned this before, but it's not uncommon in my cultural community.  This is basically code for "you're a dumb jook sing (i.e. someone born and raised in the west), if I told you, I'd be grossing you out."  Except when you have food sensitivities.

(edited)

Not to rehash a topic, but this idiot in front of me in the parking garage at work this morning took three tries to back into a space. By the time he finally got in, there were two cars behind me. If you can't back into a space on the first try and there's already one car behind you, you're a jerk.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Not to rehash a topic, but this idiot in front of me in the parking garage at work this morning took three tries to back into a space. By the time he finally got in, there were two cars behind me. If you can't back into a space on the first try and there's already one car behind you, you're a jerk.

Ugh…I don’t understand the parking space backers; yes, I get that it’s considered safer/easier when later leaving the spot, but it’s such a pain in the ass on the front end just trying to properly back in there, and most people like this jerk take 2-3 tries to get it right, so it simply feels like a pointless waste of time in the end.

• Love 3
(edited)

Catching up on recent subjects of discussion, "nucular" as a mispronunciation of "nuclear" drives me batty -- it was on this forum, and probably this very thread, I learned a few years ago this was one of those mispronunciations so common it became accepted by at least one dictionary as an alternate pronunciation deals.  I'm holding out.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Catching upon recent subjects of discussion, "nucular" as a mispronunciation of "nuclear" drives me batty -- it was on this forum, and probably this very thread, I learned a few years ago this was one of those mispronunciations so common it became accepted by at least one dictionary as an alternate pronunciation deals.  I'm holding out.

I was stunned to see it accepted by a dictionary. They might as well also accept arthuritis, athalete, and thee-ater. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was stunned to see it accepted by a dictionary. They might as well also accept arthuritis, athalete, and thee-ater. 

February:  "Hold my beer". 

Realtor:  "Hey!  What about me?"

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I have even heard Realtors mispronounce it!  And it drives me almost as batty as nu-cu-lar.

Jinx, @peacheslatour!

I once said this accidentally, when I decided to be snarky about something. “At least he can say ‘nucular’… oh my god, I can’t believe I just said that.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I get Feb-you-ary(guilty!!)...but how are some folks pronouncing realtor?

Reel-uh-ter instad of reel-tore

Here's another - 

Jewelry / Joo-la-ree instad of jewel-ree

Edited for sensitivity
  • Love 3

When my parents moved to the town where I grew up, they were astonished by the odd pronunciation of various words. One was gooms (gums). And a new "word" to them was storeboughten(instead of storebought--a word I never used as it's too close to storeboughten & sounds odd). I can't think of the other words right now. MrP914 hails from a small town in MI where they say assalete (athlete). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Add me to the list peeved by hearing an imaginary extra syllable added to Realtor - especially by real estate agents.  It also annoys me when professional chefs mispronounce mascarpone as marscapone. 

"Ath-a-lete" bugs me too, and I'm convinced 95% of the population pronounces triathlon as tri-ath-a-lon, because I've seen so many even spell it that way.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"Ath-a-lete" bugs me too, and I'm convinced 95% of the population pronounces triathlon as tri-ath-a-lon, because I've seen so many even spell it that way.

Someone recently inserted that extra syllable/letter "a" in the word triathlon on Jeopardy! and lost money. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm convinced 95% of the population pronounces triathlon as tri-ath-a-lon, because I've seen so many even spell it that way.

I only misspelled it ONE* Time! 😜 But I pronounced it correctly!

*Remington Steele

6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Someone recently inserted that extra syllable/letter "a" in the word triathlon on Jeopardy! and lost money. 

If only they also lost money for inserting an S onto the end of "saving" in Daylight Saving Time.  (Yep, still a little irked by last night's game - I know it's an incredibly common error, but it would be nice if J! was the last place you had to get it right.) 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It also annoys me when professional chefs mispronounce mascarpone as marscapone. 

I'm on that list, too. Also vinegarette for vinaigrette. Especially looking at you, Jeff Mauro.

I'm usually inclined to let things go, because I see unedited manuscripts by authors who should definitely know better and don't. But I do believe that if it's your job and these are your tools--whatever job and whatever tools--you should know how to say them.

• Love 6

I don't bake, but I watch a lot of baking shows, and "marscapone" is said so often that my boyfriend and I just look at each other and roll our eyes.

That said, I try not to be a word snob despite having an English degree and having edited in several of my jobs. Language is fluid and ever changing. However, I bristle at people saying "acrost". That's just not a word. The word is "across".

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

But I do believe that if it's your job and these are your tools--whatever job and whatever tools--you should know how to say them.

And preferably write them.  I remember complaining about seeing the owner of a chihuahua spell it "chiwawa" and the owner of a German shepherd spell it "shepard", and @AgentRXS saying an astounding number of her co-workers in animal control misspell those breeds, and none of them can spell dachshund. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

What is it with people? Why don't they look up a word (that they're not familiar with) before using it? 

Hell, I still look up words I am familiar with and have used many times before, just to double check I've got the definition and/or spelling right. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

And preferably write them.  I remember complaining about seeing the owner of a chihuahua spell it "chiwawa" and the owner of a German shepherd spell it "shepard", and @AgentRXS saying an astounding number of her co-workers in animal control misspell those breeds, and none of them can spell dachshund. 

I can’t not remember Les Nessman (WKRP) talking about chi-hua-hua so the spelling was obvious  (or am I thinking of Chi Chi Rod-rig-gwez?). 

And I admit I unsubscribed to a podcast after an episode where none of the hosts knew how to pronounce dachshund (dash-und??)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I'm glad I'm not a celebrity then.  My Chinese name is written as Cin Cin in Roman letters and phonetically sounds kind of like the "cin" in cappuccino (in Cantonese, anyway).  However, I don't give a rats behind if you pronounce it with an Anglicized soft c, well, because my first name is Cynthia.  I'm sure people would try to mess with it some way or other if I were famous.  

Peeve: people who treat toddlers like they're still infants.  My son (almost 3 1/2!) loves to tell people he's a "big boy" and wants to be treated as such, yet there are still people out there who talk to him in very high-pitched voices and think he's, well, one!  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Peeve: people who treat toddlers like they're still infants. 

My pet peeve is at the other end of the age spectrum.  My Mom is in her 80s and in a wheelchair but is perfectly, mentally competent and yet people, even people in the medical profession will ignore her and talk to me ABOUT her as if she is incapable of speaking for herself.  Just because someone is elderly and/or in a wheelchair does not mean they aren't functioning adults who can, you know, talk to you!

• Love 14
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm glad I'm not a celebrity then.  My Chinese name is written as Cin Cin in Roman letters and phonetically sounds kind of like the "cin" in cappuccino (in Cantonese, anyway).  However, I don't give a rats behind if you pronounce it with an Anglicized soft c, well, because my first name is Cynthia.  I'm sure people would try to mess with it some way or other if I were famous.  

Peeve: people who treat toddlers like they're still infants.  My son (almost 3 1/2!) loves to tell people he's a "big boy" and wants to be treated as such, yet there are still people out there who talk to him in very high-pitched voices and think he's, well, one!  

I was a nanny for along time and I never spoke to children in baby talk, even when they were babies, now my little dogs I speak to them in a high pitched voice. lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Get used to it. When my son was elementary school age, other mothers would talk to 8, 9 and 10 year olds like they were infants. It drove me crazy.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Get used to it. When my son was elementary school age, other mothers would talk to 8, 9 and 10 year olds like they were infants. It drove me crazy.

So *that's* the reason our daughter still calls our now 10 year old grandson, "baby" occasionally!?!  It really is shocking to us, but he doesn't seem to mind. Oy.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And I'm sure it drove THEM crazy.  I have an aunt who called her son "Baby" until he was at least in his early 20s.  I hope she doesn't anymore (he's 35).  

• Love 2

On the subject of words that annoy - I have a major problem with the word (?) "impactful", which is used to describe everything from a weather system to a price rise on a product. I hates it, hates it! Where did it come from and how do we kill it??? 😿

• Love 5

Gee, do I love when the canned cat food shortage and sky-high gas prices combine, so that my driving all over the greater Los Angeles area to stockpile my cat's food costs a fortune with the food up to nearly $60 per case and gas over $5/gallon.

(I had to physically go gather cans/cases the past couple of weeks, because distributors are out of what she eats, so ordering from elsewhere and having it shipped wasn't even an option - all that's left is what is on retailer shelves, and Wellness has no idea when they'll have more for distribution; they're dealing not just with the aluminum and shipping issues affecting everyone, they're having an issue with the specific factory producing this particular food.)

At least, as of today (when I spent 2-1/2 hours in L.A. traffic to hit three stores out in the gods-forsaken valley), I should be all set -- I have amassed a six-month supply, just in case (since she will only eat two things, I can't just shrug and buy whatever is available).  And, no, I didn't take every last can in the L.A. area.  I would normally not hoard like this at all, but I can't risk her getting sick again from not eating.  This is already her back-up food, which is higher in phosphorus than is best for her; her regular food has been nowhere to be found within a day's drive since November.  The only options for that food are the price-gouging assholes selling via Amazon for $85/case.  Fuck them.

Edited by Bastet

Y'all scared me with the cat food-shortage talk, so I ordered the girls' food early (Erin is allergic to everything except venison). It was up to $71 a case (12 6.5-oz cans) pre-tax. I usually spend about $350 total for six cases after coupon(s). It was $414 this time. My cats' food bill is higher than both mine and my boyfriend's combined.

Gas is over $4 a gallon here. I've never seen it this high in my life.

Edited by bilgistic

Personal pet peeve - I cry too easily.  Yesterday we had a meeting with my mother's doctor where we basically all agreed to a plan going forward for her care which includes, essentially, that she doesn't get out of bed anymore.  Anyway I, who was supposed to be the family rock who was there to provide a reassuring presence and advocate for my elderly parents was the one who ended up crying about the whole thing.  Sigh.  So much for projecting a mature, professional image.

Edited by SusannahM
On 3/8/2022 at 5:12 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Aww gee...I used the wrong word. The clue was asking for an Olympic sport using skis & guns, which is the biathlon. I couldn't criticize the poor guy cause all I could come up with was a vision of cross country skiers stopping to shoot at a target--"bi-something". So, he at least knew the *name* of this really tough sport, but he added a letter/syllable. I'm still trying to not have an "ess" at the end of daylight saving time.

• Love 1

Today's peeve:  My car battery gained weight since I installed it.

What's that you say?  I gained weight since then, so being five years older and more out of shape, I only felt like I was lifting something ten pounds heavier?  Shut up. 🤐

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Personal pet peeve - I cry too easily.  Yesterday we had a meeting with my mother's doctor where we basically all agreed to a plan going forward for her care which includes, essentially, that she doesn't get out of bed anymore.  Anyway I, who was supposed to be the family rock who was there to provide a reassuring presence and advocate for my elderly parents was the one who ended up crying about the whole thing.  Sigh.  So much for projecting a mature, professional image.

So sorry you're going through it.  My mom makes three now that I've lost to the long-term care system (she's not gone gone, she's just gone).  I would like to give you a pep talk, but I've got nothing.  Allow as much time for your own peace as you possibly can.

I've gained a solid appreciation for dying in one's sleep, even if "too young".  Living into one's 90's and beyond while propped up by pharmaceuticals, unable to see, hear, control one's own functions...nah, pass.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

So sorry you're going through it.  My mom makes three now that I've lost to the long-term care system (she's not gone gone, she's just gone).  I would like to give you a pep talk, but I've got nothing.  Allow as much time for your own peace as you possibly can.

I've gained a solid appreciation for dying in one's sleep.

Me too. My dad has been in memory care since 2019. It's been grueling.