Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 2/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Do you mean this seriously, @Leeds? Or are you being sarcastic?

Because I thought it was a great thing. Our driver's ed classes were very similar to what @Browncoat describes. I see it as a way of providing lessons to kids whose parents might not have been able to afford them or parents who worked all day and couldn't take their kids out to drive except after dark (which I don't even think was legal under the learner's permit system). If you want new drivers to be safe drivers, which benefits everyone, what better way than to teach good driving in school? I still remember points of law and driving techniques I learned way back then.

I certainly agree with all your points, but I just think it's sad that driver's ed replaced PE, which in my sad little mind is associated with actual physical exercise.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

I certainly agree with all your points, but I just think it's sad that driver's ed replaced PE, which in my sad little mind is associated with actual physical exercise.

That's weird, we had both. Although I have to admit that to get out of taking PE, I was on the gymnastics team.

A while back, I stated a pet peeve of mine was people that use cutesy words. Building out, somebody referring to someone as their “little meow-meow” is enough to make me throw up and rage stroke all at once.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

A while back, I stated a pet peeve of mine was people that use cutesy words. Building out, somebody referring to someone as their “little meow-meow” is enough t9 make me throw up and rage stroke all at once.

lol! 

I feel kind of bad for this because I know a lot of it is generational and cultural, but I don't like when I hear grown women refer to their fathers as daddy. And then it's also kind of been turned into something else . . .

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Except it didn't replace PE, at least in our school. It was usually, but not always, taught by the PE teachers, and class time alternated between driver's ed and PE for a single semester, if I remember correctly.

I think the general public is a lot safer with my having devoted some of my PE time learning how to drive. I haven't yet killed anybody with a badly executed somersault.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Except it didn't replace PE, at least in our school. It was usually, but not always, taught by the PE teachers, and class time alternated between driver's ed and PE for a single semester, if I remember correctly.

I think the general public is a lot safer with my having devoted some of my PE time learning how to drive. I haven't yet killed anybody with a badly executed somersault.

Replying in Chit Chat, before the gym teacher comes and blows the whistle at us...

• LOL 5
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

lol! 

I feel kind of bad for this because I know a lot of it is generational and cultural, but I don't like when I hear grown women refer to their fathers as daddy. And then it's also kind of been turned into something else . . .

Yeah.  “Mommy and Daddy” isn’t uncommon amongst some of my family members from my generation (so we’re talking late 30s-40-something.  I’m sure they find it weird that I say “Mom and Dad” like people on TV!).  I also hate it when my mom calls my son “ah Be” (ah Baby, “ah” is often added before a person’s name.  There’s no real equivalent in English).  

• Useful 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I feel kind of bad for this because I know a lot of it is generational and cultural, but I don't like when I hear grown women refer to their fathers as daddy.

I don't care how anyone addresses their parent between the two of them (although, yes, when it comes to "Daddy" I very much have to check my reflexive negative reaction, reminding myself what it says to me is not at all what is said by many of those who use it), but I find myself irrationally annoyed when someone refers to their parent by their term of endearment in conversation with random others -- e.g. "I have to take Momma to her doctor's appointment this afternoon" at work, explaining why they're leaving early, instead of "I have to take my mom to her doctor's appointment ...".

That just reminded me of another peeve: I used to sometimes watch As The World Turns back in the '80s and '90s, and a character always referred to his wife, Margo, in conversation with others, as "my wife" -- even though he was talking to people who know her very well.  Telling someone who knew him but not her "My wife did X" would make perfect sense, since if he said, "Margo did X" they'd have to infer who Margo is based on context.  But he would literally be talking to someone she worked with daily (so the only reason this person knew Tom was through Margo), and still say "my wife".  It was odd.  And came off as creepy possessive.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't care how anyone addresses their parent between the two of them (although, yes, when it comes to "Daddy" I very much have to check my reflexive negative reaction, reminding myself what it says to me is not at all what is said by many of those who use it), but I find myself irrationally annoyed when someone refers to their parent by their term of endearment in conversation with random others -- e.g. "I have to take Momma to her doctor's appointment this afternoon" at work, explaining why they're leaving early, instead of "I have to take my mom to her doctor's appointment ...".

That just reminded me of another peeve: I used to sometimes watch As The World Turns back in the '80s and '90s, and a character always referred to his wife, Margo, in conversation with others, as "my wife" -- even though he was talking to people who know her very well.  Telling someone who knew him but not her "My wife did X" would make perfect sense, since if he said, "Margo did X" they'd have to infer who Margo is based on context.  But he would literally be talking to someone she worked with daily (so the only reason this person knew Tom was through Margo), and still say "my wife".  It was odd.  And came off as creepy possessive.

My sister-in-law refers to her parents as "My parents" even when talking to my husband about them.  Bizarre.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

lol! 

Yeah, I wouldn't call anyone "daddy", because it's too strange for me.

• Love 5
On 2/27/2022 at 12:28 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Shallow note- I miss my thick hair. Fucking chemo.

Oh, you too?  My hair is not what it used to be.  Also my eyebrows and eyelashes never grew back right.  But leg hair grows back.  One chemo benefit was not shaving my legs for a couple of years. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Oh, you too?  My hair is not what it used to be.  Also my eyebrows and eyelashes never grew back right.  But leg hair grows back.  One chemo benefit was not shaving my legs for a couple of years. 

Yeah, my hair was the one thing I was so very vain about pre-cancer/chemo. It was thick, wavy, curly. Took up to 45 minutes to blow dry and flatten when I wanted the blow dry look. It had a life of its own.

After cancer/chemo, it grew back a little thick, but fine. The curls are gone. A little wavy. But the front and top, look like someone took a chainsaw to it and the hair that grew back was half-you can see through the strands my head. It's why I'm constantly trying to find creative ways to style it so it's not so visible. Even still searching for fringe bangs that I can just clip onto the top of my head; not a wig or even a topper wig. The back of my head is actually thick, but not as thick. And yes, after losing my eyebrows during the last two months of chemo, they, at least grew back. The hair on my legs, also yes, but sparingly and fine. I'd take the stubby back on my legs if I could get the hair/bangs back.

See? Shallow. But I am grateful that I have my health and I'm still here. 2014-2018 were brutal years, with the diagnosis, mastectomies, chemo, failure of expanders to keep the shape for implants-my body did NOT like having a foreign object inside it, so implants were nixed, to the reconstructive surgery using my own body tissue, to recovery from that.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, my hair was the one thing I was so very vain about pre-cancer/chemo. It was thick, wavy, curly. Took up to 45 minutes to blow dry and flatten when I wanted the blow dry look. It had a life of its own.

After cancer/chemo, it grew back a little thick, but fine. The curls are gone. A little wavy. But the front and top, look like someone took a chainsaw to it and the hair that grew back was half-you can see through the strands my head. It's why I'm constantly trying to find creative ways to style it so it's not so visible. Even still searching for fringe bangs that I can just clip onto the top of my head; not a wig or even a topper wig. The back of my head is actually thick, but not as thick. And yes, after losing my eyebrows during the last two months of chemo, they, at least grew back. The hair on my legs, also yes, but sparingly and fine. I'd take the stubby back on my legs if I could get the hair/bangs back.

See? Shallow. But I am grateful that I have my health and I'm still here. 2014-2018 were brutal years, with the diagnosis, mastectomies, chemo, failure of expanders to keep the shape for implants-my body did NOT like having a foreign object inside it, so implants were nixed, to the reconstructive surgery using my own body tissue, to recovery from that.

Grateful you are still with us. My brutal years were 2009-2013. Doxycycline was a trip. Instead of hair loss it causes giant skin blisters. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I too am grateful that you have your health now.  Wish the cost hadn't been so high~

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Grateful you are still with us. My brutal years were 2009-2013. Doxycycline was a trip. Instead of hair loss it causes giant skin blisters. 

I don't recall the name of the "poison" cocktail I was given, but I do know I took Herceptin during chemo, and after for another six months. 

Just now, SuprSuprElevated said:

I too am grateful that you have your health now.  Wish the cost hadn't been so high~

Yeah, the vain part of me had wished I was the 1% of those that don't lose their hair.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Ugh.  Coming up on 10 years removed from that nightmare, thankfully!

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't recall the name of the "poison" cocktail I was given, but I do know I took Herceptin during chemo, and after for another six months. 

Yeah, the vain part of me had wished I was the 1% of those that don't lose their hair.

We humans soo identify with our hair don't we?

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Even still searching for fringe bangs that I can just clip onto the top of my head

Keep searching. I know they're available on Amazon, probably lots of other places as well, online and brick-and-mortar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2022 at 4:44 PM, Spartan Girl said:

A while back, I stated a pet peeve of mine was people that use cutesy words. Building out, somebody referring to someone as their “little meow-meow” is enough to make me throw up and rage stroke all at once.

A former coworker used to refer to his wife as "my honeypie" to anyone he was talking to. Gave me the heebie jeebies. I also felt bad for her as, IMO, it was demeaning. 

On 2/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, RealHousewife said:

lol! 

Another current coworker refers to her mother as "Mommy" all the time. I get it, on occasion when I'm joking with my mom I will call her mommy but never in public or to others. This coworker would say it non-stop, "I went to see mommy last night", "I got mommy some new pajamas." "Mommy is visiting my sister." It's nauseating 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:40 AM, Leeds said:

My sister-in-law refers to her parents as "My parents" even when talking to my husband about them.  Bizarre.

LOL, my sister and I refer to our idiot brother as "Your brother" when we speak to each other. If I have to refer to him as my brother it is "My idiot brother." And trust me, the title is warranted. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, my hair was the one thing I was so very vain about pre-cancer/chemo. It was thick, wavy, curly. Took up to 45 minutes to blow dry and flatten when I wanted the blow dry look. It had a life of its own.See? Shallow. But I am grateful that I have my health and I'm still here. 2014-2018 were brutal years, with the diagnosis, mastectomies, chemo, failure of expanders to keep the shape for implants-my body did NOT like having a foreign object inside it, so implants were nixed, to the reconstructive surgery using my own body tissue, to recovery from that.

My year of horror was 2013 (wow almost 10 years!!). My cancer was small and they could have just done a lumpectomy. But my mom died of the chemo treatments from her breast cancer in 1988. I did not want that shoe waiting to drop from year to year so I opted for double mastectomy, no reconstruction. Since it was small and they got it all, I had no radiation or chemo. Cancer free since August 2013!

I had joined a breast cancer forum shortly after dx and read many horror stories from attempts at reconstruction. I have not regretted for an hour not having the recon. I am flat and fabulous and love not having to ever wear a bra again!!

I am glad those of you that went through this too are doing well and are healthy.  My heart goes out to you for what you had to go through to get there! 💜

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

My year of horror was 2013 (wow almost 10 years!!). My cancer was small and they could have just done a lumpectomy. But my mom died of the chemo treatments from her breast cancer in 1988. I did not want that shoe waiting to drop from year to year so I opted for double mastectomy, no reconstruction. Since it was small and they got it all, I had no radiation or chemo. Cancer free since August 2013!

I had joined a breast cancer forum shortly after dx and read many horror stories from attempts at reconstruction. I have not regretted for an hour not having the recon. I am flat and fabulous and love not having to ever wear a bra again!!

I am glad those of you that went through this too are doing well and are healthy.  My heart goes out to you for what you had to go through to get there! 💜

I applaud your confidence and steadfastness with your decision.  So glad you are well~

• Love 6

My mom had a lumpectomy, even though her instinct was to lop the whole thing off, and when the pathology report showed they didn't quite get clear margins, she went back in for a mastectomy.  No radiation or chemo (she was on Tamoxifen, and then something else), and no reconstruction.  After that, she just wasn't interested in additional surgery/surgeries; shoving a prosthetic in a mastectomy bra sounded a lot better to her.  (And I do only mean to her; there's nothing vain and certainly nothing wrong about opting for reconstructive surgery, it just wasn't the choice she made.) She had moments, but my dad would make her laugh, like by playing with the prosthetic options to declare which one felt the most like her missing boob.  It didn't take long before she really stopped thinking about only having one breast.

She participated in a support group for a while, and volunteered with a local organization for quite a while; we were all appalled by how many women who opted out of reconstruction got shit for it from the men in their lives.  To go through life-saving surgery, dealing with the physical and psychological aftermath, and then the person you share your life with says they can't stand to look at or touch you?!  Breasts are body parts - her body parts.  They aren't there for men's pleasure.

When I was helping my mom select a wig*, we wound up talking with another customer who was wig shopping in preparation for chemo treatment making her hair fall out, and when she heard my mom tell the consultant my dad had responded to her dramatic hair loss by saying what's still there is beautiful, this woman had the most wistful look on her face.  I don't remember exactly what horribly insensitive comment her husband had made she relayed to us or exactly what I said in response about it being a problem with him, not her, but her friend who was with her pulled me aside and said, "Thank you, she needed to hear that from someone objective."   

*The initial treatment left my mom cancer free for 14 years, then came a metastasis that was quickly sent into remission for seven years with a non-chemo drug regimen, at which point she had a second metastasis that required oral chemo and caused more than half her hair to fall out.  She is not in and will never go into remission again (because the one option that was on track to perhaps accomplish that nearly killed her and had to be replaced with another), all that can be done is halting and then slowing progression, and at some point there will be nothing left that works, but against against all odds, she is still here coming up on five years later. 

• Love 12
On 2/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, RealHousewife said:

lol! 

You must not live in the south where most of the southern adults refer to their fathers as "daddy". It's something else when you hear a big man talking about daddy. That was part of the culture shock for me, moving there from NYS.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

You must not live in the south where most of the southern adults refer to their fathers as "daddy". It's something else when you hear a big man talking about daddy. That was part of the culture shock for me, moving there from NYS.

Friends from Scotland always refer to their mother as 'mommy', whether 7 or 97.  Don't know if the Scotland part has anything to do with it.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

My mom had a lumpectomy, even though her instinct was to lop the whole thing off, and when the pathology report showed they didn't quite get clear margins, she went back in for a mastectomy.  No radiation or chemo (she was on Tamoxifen, and then something else), and no reconstruction.  After that, she just wasn't interested in additional surgery/surgeries; shoving a prosthetic in a mastectomy bra sounded a lot better to her.  (And I do only mean to her; there's nothing vain and certainly nothing wrong about opting for reconstructive surgery, it just wasn't the choice she made.) She had moments, but my dad would make her laugh, like by playing with the prosthetic options to declare which one felt the most like her missing boob.  It didn't take long before she really stopped thinking about only having one breast.

She participated in a support group for a while, and volunteered with a local organization for quite a while; we were all appalled by how many women who opted out of reconstruction got shit for it from the men in their lives.  To go through life-saving surgery, dealing with the physical and psychological aftermath, and then the person you share your life with says they can't stand to look at or touch you?!  Breasts are body parts - her body parts.  They aren't there for men's pleasure.

When I was helping my mom select a wig*, we wound up talking with another customer who was wig shopping in preparation for chemo treatment making her hair fall out, and when she heard my mom tell the consultant my dad had responded to her dramatic hair loss by saying what's still there is beautiful, this woman had the most wistful look on her face.  I don't remember exactly what horribly insensitive comment her husband had made she relayed to us or exactly what I said in response about it being a problem with him, not her, but her friend who was with her pulled me aside and said, "Thank you, she needed to hear that from someone objective."   

*The initial treatment left my mom cancer free for 14 years, then came a metastasis that was quickly sent into remission for seven years with a non-chemo drug regimen, at which point she had a second metastasis that required oral chemo and caused more than half her hair to fall out.  She is not in and will never go into remission again (because the one option that was on track to perhaps accomplish that nearly killed her and had to be replaced with another), all that can be done is halting and then slowing progression, and at some point there will be nothing left that works, but against against all odds, she is still here coming up on five years later. 

I actually have ovarian cancer--with BRCA gene involvement.  FUN!  So I've had lots of surgery and chemo for the OC.  So I chose to have prophylactic mastectomies also.  I have some small silicone implants, as I was pretty flat chested before.  I have not had trouble with them fortunately, going on nine years with those.  They did the whole thing in one operation. 

Like your mother, @Bastet, I'm not in true remission--they just call it a chronic disease now.  I'm on pills that are a maintenance drug and also which did not exist when I was first diagnosed. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 6

I feel like boobs are sometimes not worth the hassle. I inherited my mom's small frame but my grammy's gigantic knockers; I've looked like a stick figure with giant boobs since I was about 13. With time, gravity has taken its toll and now my boobs are getting saggy and the back and neck pain they cause are a daily issue (not to mention the poor posture, underboob sweat and rashes in the summer, stupidly expensive specialty bras, and regular chiropractor visits). I think this is the year I'm finally doing a reduction, even if insurance won't cover it (my horrible insurance requires reductions to be cancer-related; they don't care that they are paying for countless doctor visits every year from the side effects big boobs cause). I've never known what it's like to be a perky B cup, I literally went from a training bra into Ds and eventually Es (I am probably bigger than that, but mentally I can't go up another size, lol). At this point, I don't care about scars or what any future partner may think, I just need some kind of pain relief. And selfishly, I would love to know what it's like to buy a bra off the rack at Target or wear a strappy sundress or not have my boobs be the first thing people notice. 

• Love 9

People who pick apart what you say, put words into your mouth, are argumentative, contrarian, passive aggressive, and look to be offended. Not the most charming personality whether it's in person or online. 

Are you talking about someone here?

• Love 1

Not sure why it bugs some people, but my father was always "Daddy" to me and my mother was "Mom" or "Momma". When my son was born we taught him to call me "Mama" and his father "Papa". I've never been bothered by what anyone affectionately calls their parents, but when a grown woman calls her husband "Daddy" or a husband calls his wife "Mother" or "Wifey" it sets off my creepy radar. I especially don't like children calling their parents by their proper names as they are not their parents' peers, and that goes for their parents' adult relatives and friends as well. Its disrespectful, IMO.

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, isalicat said:

but when a grown woman calls her husband "Daddy" or a husband calls his wife "Mother" or "Wifey" it sets off my creepy radar.

I had a great aunt and uncle who didn't even have kids, yet he called her "Mommy".  I loved them, but it creeped me right out.

I don't bat an eye at someone referring to their spouse as "Mom" or "Dad" when talking about them to their shared offspring -- e.g. "Go ask Mom if she wants a sandwich" instead of "Go ask your mom if she wants a sandwich" -- but spouses addressing each other as Mom or Dad (or any variation) is weird to me.  As with what people choose to call their parents - whatever floats someone's boat, of course, and I know plenty of people do it.  Just, personally, if my mom wanted to know where the remote was and asked, "Dad, where's the remote?" I'd think she'd lost her marbles and was hallucinating my long-dead grandfather in the room.

32 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I especially don't like children calling their parents by their proper names as they are not their parents' peers, and that goes for their parents' adult relatives and friends as well. Its disrespectful, IMO.

I start off with Mr./Ms. So-and-So, but after that I call people what they ask to be called, and when I was a kid all of my parents' friends and friends' parents whom I was close to asked to be called by their first name. (It's Los Angeles, we're very casual here.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I actually have ovarian cancer--with BRCA gene involvement.  FUN!  So I've had lots of surgery and chemo for the OC.  So I chose to have prophylactic mastectomies also.  I have some small silicone implants, as I was pretty flat chested before.  I have not had trouble with them fortunately, going on nine years with those.  They did the whole thing in one operation. 

Like your mother, @Bastet, I'm not in true remission--they just call it a chronic disease now.  I'm on pills that are a maintenance drug and also which did not exist when I was first diagnosed. 

Best to you ETT!  Keep on keepin' on~

• Love 2

I can't find where it was discussed before...I thought it was here...oh well. I ordered my 4 free Covid home tests on the 28th of Feb. They arrived today and have an expiry date of 7/20/22. Sheesh! For the few times I go out, I doubt I would even need to use them by then.

I am going to call my local pharmacist and see how accurate that date is. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I can't find where it was discussed before...I thought it was here...oh well. I ordered my 4 free Covid home tests on the 28th of Feb. They arrived today and have an expiry date of 7/20/22. Sheesh! For the few times I go out, I doubt I would even need to use them by then.

I was able to get 2 for free, now I am going go look at the expiration date on mine as well.

(edited)
16 hours ago, isalicat said:

Not sure why it bugs some people, but my father was always "Daddy" to me and my mother was "Mom" or "Momma". When my son was born we taught him to call me "Mama" and his father "Papa". I've never been bothered by what anyone affectionately calls their parents, but when a grown woman calls her husband "Daddy" or a husband calls his wife "Mother" or "Wifey" it sets off my creepy radar. I especially don't like children calling their parents by their proper names as they are not their parents' peers, and that goes for their parents' adult relatives and friends as well. Its disrespectful, IMO.

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone. I know things I say and do are major pet peeves of others here. At the top of my head, I'm a vegetarian! Instantly annoying. lol

I think for a lot of us, we expect words like mommy, daddy, poopy, boobie to come out of kids' mouths. So when an adult talks like that, you're like wait what?! But like I said in my post, I know it can be cultural/generational. For others it might be as normal as mom, dad, mother, father. 

I can see what you mean about when people refer to their romantic partner as daddy. Not sure how that became such a thing, but that has with the younger generation. Perhaps that's another thing that has made "daddy" a pet peeve of mine. I'm a millennial, and most of the grown women I hear use it are not referring to their fathers. I hear a lot of "he's a daddy!" I stick with hot/handsome/sexy if I want to describe a man as attractive. 

Wifey on the other hand doesn't really bother me because it's just adding a y to wife. It's kind of like hubby. I can get the trying to be cute factor perhaps being annoying, but it doesn't sound remotely creepy to me. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2
(edited)

Attorneys of Primetimer, is this legal? I have an older (read: repairable) washer and dryer set that still works great and I don't want to give them to "contractors" who are probably going to sell them. I'm also not going to pay to store them. I'm pretty incensed over it.

It seems like my complex ownership is doing everything they can to push out current tenants to get higher-paying new tenants. Our lease expires on July 31, CONVENIENTLY. We would like to move, but there is literally nothing affordable available. My old complex, from which I moved in 2020, is now leasing my old $700 one-bedroom unit for over $1200. It's absolutely obscene out here. It also costs a lot of money to move, and we just don't have it.

834848537_LaundryLetter.thumb.jpg.a9156c826692264e1733e18a5a4e3739.jpg

Edited by bilgistic
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone. I know things I say and do are major pet peeves of others here. At the top of my head, I'm a vegetarian! Instantly annoying. lol

I think for a lot of us, we expect words like mommy, daddy, poopy, boobie to come out of kids' mouths. So when an adult talks like that, you're like wait what?! But like I said in my post, I know it can be cultural/generational. For others it might be as normal as mom, dad, mother, father. 

I can see what you mean about when people refer to their romantic partner as daddy. Not sure how that became such a thing, but that has with the younger generation. Perhaps that's another thing that has made "daddy" a pet peeve of mine. I'm a millennial, and most of the grown women I hear use it are not referring to their fathers. I hear a lot of "he's a daddy!" I stick with hot/handsome/sexy if I want to describe a man as attractive. 

Wifey on the other hand doesn't really bother me because it's just adding a y to wife. It's kind of like hubby. I can get the trying to be cute factor perhaps being annoying, but it doesn't sound remotely creepy to me. 

That's something that has been confusing to me, too. I follow a woman who is great - kind, entertaining, really generous to people, also just really funny, but she sometimes says, "I'm baby" when it comes to her husband. I just don't want to call anyone "daddy". 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

One of my big peeves is passive-aggressiveness. I also don't like it in communities, when I see someone planting seeds of doubt about others, drama-stirring. I'm not sure if that's happening in a community that I'm a part of, and I don't like it. It's happened before - it seems to happen in any community that lasts for a long time, but I don't want to fall for bait. I gave someone the benefit of the doubt, and they personally caused me trouble, and I never understood it. I don't like people being screwed with, anyway, but some people seem to think it's okay to do online, because we're like words on a screen. Not real to them. 

21 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Well, I talked t the pharmacist at my local drug store today and he said the expiry dates on the home test are pretty solid. Maybe could go a week out, but no guarantee at that point that it would be accurate.

This program sounded like a great idea, but I don't see myself using 4 tests in around 4 months. What a shame. I'll use one a few days after Monday's dr appointment and another before/after my first eye surgery. I just don't go out that much that I feel at great risk...

The test I bought locally expires 12/20/22. At least that will get me into next Winter season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

That's something that has been confusing to me, too. I follow a woman who is great - kind, entertaining, really generous to people, also just really funny, but she sometimes says, "I'm baby" when it comes to her husband. I just don't want to call anyone "daddy". 

The fuck?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I got my four free COVID tests in the mail about a month ago, to have on hand just in case, but it occurred to me it was a bit silly to have ordered something that expires given how low I'm keeping my exposure risk - what are the odds I'll need to test myself even once by the time they're no longer reasonably accurate?  Mine expire at the end of July, so if I don't need them by the beginning of July, I'll just offer them on Freecycle, Nextdoor, etc. since folks who need to test regularly can use them before they expire.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Grrrrrr... please, govt. officials. Nuclear is two syllables. It's pronounced: new-clear. It is not newk-yew-lar. Did Jimmy Carter start this awful mispronunciation? If so, I'll forgive him because of all the good work he's done around the world in his retirement.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Grrrrrr... please, govt. officials. Nuclear is two syllables. It's pronounced: new-clear

I’ve never heard of this pronunciation.  I say “new-clee-er”

• Love 17

I had a co-worker who always referred to his wife as "my bride."  He was in his 60's and had been married for 40 years.  For some reason that got on my last nerve. 

It doesn't bother me what people call their parents.  I've known people who use Mommy, Mama, Daddy, Pops, Mother, Father, Moms, Papa, and their parents' first names.  

There was a funny story in the Carolyn Hax chat in the Washington Post today.  Someone wrote in exasperated by a mother-in-law who wants the coming granddaughter to call her a name that has no connection to her name - the letter writer said think of someone named Donna who wants to be called Gabrielle.  Another person replied saying just go with it, the kid will probably mangle it and call her something else, giving as an example her own mother who came up with a name she wanted to be called by and the first grandchild mangled it to "Lump," which is what all of her now 6 grandchildren call her, much to her anguish.  There were multiple comments from readers wanting to know what name became Lump!  

• LOL 5

Reading about the covid test expiration tests got me wondering when mine expired. So here's my peeve, I put mine away safely when I got them. Yeah you can guess what's happened, I can't find the friggin' things anywhere.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Grrrrrr... please, govt. officials. Nuclear is two syllables. It's pronounced: new-clear. It is not newk-yew-lar. Did Jimmy Carter start this awful mispronunciation? If so, I'll forgive him because of all the good work he's done around the world in his retirement.

I don't care about the pronunciation, I just don't want to have to hear that word in any news for a very long time.

• Love 19

If the masses at Target are anything to judge by, I've got good news: the pandemic is over. Maybe one in 10 people, including me, were masked. I almost started thanking people who were wearing them. Get ready for another variant. We are where we were last summer when mask mandates were relaxed. And then look what happened.

Why, WHY, is it so hard to just keep up with being super cautious until this shit is over COMPLETELY? (I know why; it's rhetorical.)

• Love 16