Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

The landline telephone technology doesn't go out if power goes out. It's also probably in pretty good shape if there are big cuts in the fiber networks. So your landline phone might work perfectly well when loss of power and fiber cuts disrupt cell service.  The biggest problem with using your landline phone when cell service is disrupted, is that you might be trying to call somebody's cell phone.

Although cordless phones won't necessarily work without power. And I just realized that I no longer have a corded phone. I used to keep one for that purpose, but I don't know what happened to it. It's possible I donated it to a theater group.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Although cordless phones won't necessarily work without power. And I just realized that I no longer have a corded phone. I used to keep one for that purpose, but I don't know what happened to it. It's possible I donated it to a theater group.

Yeah, I still have an old corded phone in my office closet just in case.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Some disadvantages to a landline are issues with 911 calls. You need to be sure to have your 911 address updated on your cellphone account.

I hadn't updated my address with my cell phone company, so thank you for this!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I was so relieved he went to that bank because he had accounts at two other ones but I had paid a visit to that particular bank because I was disputing a whole bunch of charges because I knew my dad would just whip out his credit card for anybody with a sob story. These charges were for thousands of dollars to a political party he had hated all his life and there was no way he would have done that if he was in his right mind. I'm telling you guys, if you don't have power of attorney  over your parents, get it as soon as you can. I waited to have him diagnosed until after he had signed it over to me so he was in his "right" mind at the time he signed even though me and his financial adviser knew he had gone round the bend.

When I moved my mother in with me a few years ago, the assisted living facility she had been in handled all the paperwork to give me a power of attorney for my mother, and it’s a good thing. She could make some decisions for herself, but would have been easy prey for some of the scams on the various home shopping networks. She wasn’t computer savvy enough to use one herself, so no online scams. I did order a few things for her from one of those networks (clothes of some sort) but had to explain that the $200 miracle wrinkle remover she wanted consisted essentially of liquid glue, and while it might give your skin a smoother appearance while you had it on, that effect would disappear as soon as the junk was removed from your face, and it was bad for the skin when used on an ongoing basis. The irony was that even at age 90, she had remarkably few wrinkles and people, including her doctors, would always initially think she was 20 years younger. 
My pet peeve would be outright scams or deceptive ads online or television that seem targeted for elderly people who may still have some control over their finances but can be very gullible. The existence of these scams can make it much more urgent to have that awkward conversation with a parent that it’s time to give up absolute control over their finances, which is just as or even more awkward than the conversation that it’s time to give up driving. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, auntlada said:

I thought it was actually only the old copper wire landline phones that still worked without power.  We got forced to "upgrade" to fios several years ago because they couldn't keep repairing the old system.  There's a backup battery that supposedly keeps it powered for a while, but hey, pet peeve, it won't hold a charge!  I'm not sure about the phone lines that are often bundled with cable tv plans but I suspect they might be similar.  So, bottom line, what looks like a "landline" may not be what it seems.

25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I thought it was actually only the old copper wire landline phones that still worked without power.  We got forced to "upgrade" to fios several years ago because they couldn't keep repairing the old system.  There's a backup battery that supposedly keeps it powered for a while, but hey, pet peeve, it won't hold a charge!  I'm not sure about the phone lines that are often bundled with cable tv plans but I suspect they might be similar.  So, bottom line, what looks like a "landline" may not be what it seems.

Copper wire landline phones are the ones that work without power, but if you've got a phone that needs to be plugged in to power connected to the copper lines, which is what I think we're talking about with cordless phones, it still won't work.

All internet phone (VoIP) plans, whether it be bundled up with internet from the Comcast's of the world, or separate plans from companies like Vonage and RingCentral, are just another thing you can do on the internet.  If the internet is down, phone is down.  It can be hooked up to the phone jacks in a home, so it looks and feels like old school phone, but it's not.

And you should feel free to get on Verizon's case about the battery not holding a charge. If they provide you with equipment as part of your service, they should provide you with equipment that works. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Copper wire landline phones are the ones that work without power, but if you've got a phone that needs to be plugged in to power connected to the copper lines, which is what I think we're talking about with cordless phones, it still won't work.

All internet phone (VoIP) plans, whether it be bundled up with internet from the Comcast's of the world, or separate plans from companies like Vonage and RingCentral, are just another thing you can do on the internet.  If the internet is down, phone is down.  It can be hooked up to the phone jacks in a home, so it looks and feels like old school phone, but it's not.

And you should feel free to get on Verizon's case about the battery not holding a charge. If they provide you with equipment as part of your service, they should provide you with equipment that works. 

You're right, I wasn't clear.  You need a copper wire system AND a corded phone to truly get service when the power's out.  And sadly Verizon in my area only provides the initial fios battery.  After that you're on your own.  The original did last several years, but the replacements I've gotten from Amazon haven't lasted anywhere near that.  Maybe I should stop trying to save a few bucks and order the replacement from Verizon - at least then I could get on their case about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love our landline phones. I have two cousins who call me on their cellphones. They both sound like they're in a tunnel and/or underwater. I always tell the one who still has a landline that I'll call her back on it. I only use my smartphone as a mini portable computer (unless I'm away from home & must make a call). 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I love our landline phones. I have two cousins who call me on their cellphones. They both sound like they're in a tunnel and/or underwater. I always tell the one who still has a landline that I'll call her back on it. I only use my smartphone as a mini portable computer (unless I'm away from home & must make a call). 

I have to have a landline phone because I won't be leashed by being reachable at all times and my way of rebelling is having an allergy to having the phone charged.

Although landlines being non corded has also created a situation where its about 50/50 that one of my four phones is charged at any given time.

• Love 1

I still have a landline in addition to my cellphone because reception is spotty inside my house. I live in a semi-rural area and a call can be dropped by merely moving a few feet in any direction.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have two cousins who call me on their cellphones. They both sound like they're in a tunnel and/or underwater.

I am so annoyed by trying to have a long talk with friends who don't have a landline that I pretty much don't do it anymore; we'll just email, and then talk when we get together.  I have to strain to hear, damn near every call gets interrupted at one point by a disconnection, there are periodic dropouts so we have to do the "what was the last thing you heard?" thing, etc.  No thank you.

• Love 1

In the giant scheme of things, this is especially petty, but it annoys me to no end: restaurants who serve iced tea with a slice of lemon already in the beverage. Not everyone likes lemon in their tea. For those who prefer coffee, imagine how you would feel if 95% of the time, your coffee was served with creamer already added even though you didn’t request any creamer. Yes, I can remove the slice of lemon but the flavor has already contaminated the tea. Yes, I can ask the wait staff not to add lemon but they’re so accustomed to dunking the lemon into the tea that most of the time, they forget my request and add it anyway, and when they serve it, are obviously not happy when I ask for a new glass without the lemon. A very small minority of restaurants or servers handle iced tea correctly by either asking up front if the customer wants lemon or by sticking the lemon in a separate small bowl or saucer. Yet almost all wait staff will ask customers who order coffee if they want cream and sugar, and they damn sure don’t deliver coffee with creamer and sugar already added into the coffee. Why is it so difficult to treat iced tea the same way, especially as many of the wait staff will ask if the customer wants sweetened or unsweetened tea? How hard is it to add one more question and find out if lemon is wanted? 

• Love 8

I hate lemon in tea as well. My tea order is always, "Iced tea no lemon," said without punctuation between because you've got to get it out quick before they move on to the next person. If the tea comes with the lemon stuck on the edge of the glass, I take it off in as conspicuous a fashion as possible and give it to my husband, who likes lemon. If it's in the glass, I send it back because, yes, once it's in there, it has polluted the whole glass of tea. All I want in my iced tea is tea, water, ice and sugar. I'll drink it without sugar if sweet tea is not available, but never with lemon. (I know I can add sugar at the table, but once the tea is cold, the sugar doesn't mix properly, and the waiter will only mess up the balance when the glass is refilled.)

My grandfather always said, "If I wanted lemonade, I'd ask for it."

I have gotten to where I can drink flavored herbal teas if I think of them as a spiced orange or spiced apple drink, not tea (which they really aren't anyway).

• Love 4

In this part of Texas, the default is sweetened tea and so I have to specify “unsweetened iced tea, no lemon,” and it’s as if the wait staff are so focused on getting the unsweetened part correct, they completely forget about not adding lemon. However, the lemon problem occurred regularly even back when I used to drink sweetened tea. I’m okay with raspberry-flavored tea, as long as I know ahead of time that’s what it is. Peach and other flavors of iced tea, hell no. And don’t get me started on iced tea that is so weak that it’s essentially colored water. All this is why I generally prefer to make my own tea at home, but when it’s necessary to go out, I try to order iced tea instead of soda unless I already know the iced tea at that specific restaurant is horrible. 
For hot tea, I’m a little more adventurous with flavors. English or Irish breakfast teas are my standard morning beverage, with decaf/herbal teas for the afternoon. 

I love hot tea of various kinds, but not iced.  If I somehow had to drink it, I'd be fine, so long as there was no sugar in it (lemon I could take or leave).

My lemon + servers peeve is a minor one:  how many forget my request to include lemon with my water.  When I'm not having beer, wine, or a cocktail with a meal out, I just have water, and I often have water alongside those other beverages.  At home (where I drink water all day long), I drink it plain because it's filtered.  Depending on the municipality, sometimes unfiltered tap water tastes not at all bad, but a little distinct in a way I don't want to be distracted by, so when I order it in a restaurant I ask for water with lemon just in case.

Forgetting it is no big deal, since I just have to wait a minute or two after reminding the server of my request and then lemon shows up at the table.  Far better that than having food or drink arrive with something I'd asked to be left off.  But water with lemon is not at all unusual here (in fact, some places automatically put a slice/wedge on the lip of the glass), so it shouldn't be a brain fart as often as it s.  Also, if they remember from jump, we avoid dirtying (and thus using water to wash and rinse and energy to dry) the bowl/plate used to bring it out after the fact.

Edited by Bastet
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Forgetting it is no big deal, since I just have to wait a minute or two after reminding the server of my request and then lemon shows up at the table.  Far better that than having food or drink arrive with something I'd asked to be left off.  But water with lemon is not at all unusual here (in fact, some places automatically put a slice/wedge on the lip of the glass), so it shouldn't be a brain fart as often as it s.  Also, if they remember from jump, we avoid dirtying (and thus using water to wash and rinse and energy to dry) the bowl/plate used to bring it out after the fact.

Funny story about forgetting something.  Went out to eat with a group of friends.  I ordered a chicken salad. the salad came with no chicken on it.  I asked the waitress, "shouldn't there be chicken on this?"  She said, yeah, I'll go get it.  One of my friends asks why I'm not eating.  I explain. the waitress comes by later to check on us and ask if everythins is good. I'm like "chicken?"  "Oh yeah."  Comes back a few minutes later with chicken.  Of course, by this time everyone is done eating, so I shovel down what I can in about 2 minutes and we're off.

I'm tired of people always tagging their meals as "gluten free" on their social media. Unless you have celiac disease eating gluten free doesn't really help you at all. But it seems as if it's become a buzzword for "healthy." And sometimes the gluten free tags make me roll my eyes. Like duh your apple is going to be gluten free.🙄

• Love 2

FB pet peeve - I've got a few relatives who are constantly updating their status on FB - 20, 30 times a day.  That's bad enough.  But these same relatives also share the "memories from this day" thing on FB so in addition to their usual 20 or 30 posts we also get treated to that.  I've got them on ignore because otherwise I'd never see anything from anyone else but it's still bugs me.  If they actually post something I want to see (family news - birth, death, etc) I never see it.

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

In the giant scheme of things, this is especially petty, but it annoys me to no end: restaurants who serve iced tea with a slice of lemon already in the beverage. Not everyone likes lemon in their tea. For those who prefer coffee, imagine how you would feel if 95% of the time, your coffee was served with creamer already added even though you didn’t request any creamer. Yes, I can remove the slice of lemon but the flavor has already contaminated the tea. Yes, I can ask the wait staff not to add lemon but they’re so accustomed to dunking the lemon into the tea that most of the time, they forget my request and add it anyway, and when they serve it, are obviously not happy when I ask for a new glass without the lemon. A very small minority of restaurants or servers handle iced tea correctly by either asking up front if the customer wants lemon or by sticking the lemon in a separate small bowl or saucer. Yet almost all wait staff will ask customers who order coffee if they want cream and sugar, and they damn sure don’t deliver coffee with creamer and sugar already added into the coffee. Why is it so difficult to treat iced tea the same way, especially as many of the wait staff will ask if the customer wants sweetened or unsweetened tea? How hard is it to add one more question and find out if lemon is wanted? 

I feel the same way about mayonnaise/special sauce/whatevergrossness they want to slather on my sandwiches. I always make a point of saying NO MAYO/SAUCE and if they put it on there I send it back. I've had them say "I'll just scrape it off." No, you will not. The fucking thing is already polluted. Please make me a new one.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I'm tired of people always tagging their meals as "gluten free" on their social media. Unless you have celiac disease eating gluten free doesn't really help you at all. But it seems as if it's become a buzzword for "healthy."

My sister had celiac disease and her having to eat gluten free long predated the way it seems to have become a lifestyle choice.  For her this was a mixed blessing - it became way easier to find gluten free products in the stores and to get gluten free options in restaurants (yay for gluten free pizza crust) but the downside was that a lot of people assume the only reason you are requesting gluten free is because you've jumped on the gluten free bandwagon and they treat your requests like you're just being "faddy".  She ended up sick more than she should have because a server, or someone in the kitchen, figured "gluten, smooten she'll never know the difference".

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My sister had celiac disease and her having to eat gluten free long predated the way it seems to have become a lifestyle choice.  For her this was a mixed blessing - it became way easier to find gluten free products in the stores and to get gluten free options in restaurants (yay for gluten free pizza crust) but the downside was that a lot of people assume the only reason you are requesting gluten free is because you've jumped on the gluten free bandwagon and they treat your requests like you're just being "faddy".  She ended up sick more than she should have because a server, or someone in the kitchen, figured "gluten, smooten she'll never know the difference".

Well that's what I'm talking about. A genuine medical condition has become a lifestyle fad. Like I think it's wonderful there's now gluten free cookies and whatever. I just get tired of people who don't have celiac disease and who chow down on pasta when the mood strikes posting gluten free on their meals because it's like the big food fad.

4 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I'm tired of people always tagging their meals as "gluten free" on their social media. Unless you have celiac disease eating gluten free doesn't really help you at all. But it seems as if it's become a buzzword for "healthy." And sometimes the gluten free tags make me roll my eyes. Like duh your apple is going to be gluten free.🙄

Not just celiac, but some people are keto for medical reasons (e.g. epilepsy).  However, those people are also off other items, including many gluten-free subs.

I'm sick of food shaming - people who look at you because you're not gluten-free/keto/vegan/whatever.  I've also been stared at for eating soy.  It's not like I'm eating it DAILY or large portions.  And to be honest, I've already (mostly) given up rice.  Giving up something else that is part of my ancestry is, well, marking me as a sell-out (#kiddingnotkidding).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Personal anecdote involving the two most recent threads here.

Brother-in-law had an allergy (not sure it was celiac disease), or something similar that made him have an anaphylactic reaction to wheat.  Ordered a hamburger patty, NO BUN.  Waitress delivered it, he started feeling ill shortly after beginning to eat.  Asked the waitress about it and she said something like "yeah, the kitchen didn't see my note, but I took the bun off before I delivered it to your table."  Just the bun touching the meat put him in the hospital.  

I wasn't around when this happened, and he's gone now, so I can't verify exactly what his ailment was.  

A friend of mine is allergic to carrots and always asks if a salad has shredded carrots in it.  He's assured no carrots and the majority of time it shows up with shredded carrots, because so many of those bagged lettuce mixes have shredded carrots in them. 

My pet peeve in restaurants is ice in water.  I don't like iced water and always ask for plain water, no ice.  I would say about 95% of the time it shows up with ice.  Most people don't believe me when I say I prefer water at room temperature.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I feel the same way about mayonnaise/special sauce/whatevergrossness they want to slather on my sandwiches. I always make a point of saying NO MAYO/SAUCE and if they put it on there I send it back. I've had them say "I'll just scrape it off." No, you will not. The fucking thing is already polluted. Please make me a new one.

I am with you on this. I like my sandwiches or burgers dry (and if I add any condiments, I want to be able to add them myself!). 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Not just celiac, but some people are keto for medical reasons (e.g. epilepsy).  However, those people are also off other items, including many gluten-free subs.

I'm sick of food shaming - people who look at you because you're not gluten-free/keto/vegan/whatever.  I've also been stared at for eating soy.  It's not like I'm eating it DAILY or large portions.  And to be honest, I've already (mostly) given up rice.  Giving up something else that is part of my ancestry is, well, marking me as a sell-out (#kiddingnotkidding).  

I'm really sick of food shaming too. I feel like it began with Gwyneth Paltrow and her website. All of a sudden eating healthy was no longer enough. You also had to eat "trendy" -- detox, juices, keto, gluten-free, macrobiotic, plant-based, blah blah blah. I think I've lost track of all the food wellness fads.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I'm really sick of food shaming too. I feel like it began with Gwyneth Paltrow and her website. All of a sudden eating healthy was no longer enough. You also had to eat "trendy" -- detox, juices, keto, gluten-free, macrobiotic, plant-based, blah blah blah. I think I've lost track of all the food wellness fads.

I just stick with what my mom and gran taught, Home Economics grads, both of them. You need a balanced diet. Proteins, fiber, leafy greens and yes, a certain amount of fats. Stay away from sugar. That's it.

• Love 4

I eat gluten free not because I'm celiac but because I have IBS,  and wheat itself causes pain and well, avoiding gluten allows me to avoid wheat which helps me stay symptom free. 

ALSO, gluten is inflammatory in many people.  When I gave up gluten to trial whether it was a trigger for my IBS, my psoriasis went away and I also was able to give up the cane I needed to walk as my arthritis went away.  When I added it back (as part of the trial) the psoriasis & arthritic pain came back.  So I personally am grateful for so many GF options.  I even gave up my handicap placard 5 years ago, that is how much better I fell.  

That said, sometimes when I see food that are obviously GF, I too roll my eyes at it being labeled.   I finally decided the potato chips being labeled GF must be because they're processed near gluten type foods.  Hopefully anyway.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

I am with you on this. I like my sandwiches or burgers dry (and if I add any condiments, I want to be able to add them myself!). 

Sounds like me and eggs Florentine. No hollandaise, please.  Ewwww

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Callietwo said:

That said, sometimes when I see food that are obviously GF, I too roll my eyes at it being labeled.   I finally decided the potato chips being labeled GF must be because they're processed near gluten type foods.  Hopefully anyway.  

Yeah like I've seen people label a meal of fish and asparagus #glutenfree. Well obviously. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My ex-husband is Jewish, and while he didn’t observe all the dietary laws, he was adamant about not mixing dairy and meat. I can’t even begin to count the times he would order a burger, decline cheese when it was offered as an option, refuse to accept the cheeseburger that was served, and have to explain to wait staff that no, just scraping the cheese off wasn’t sufficient. Admittedly, this was more common in small towns. I haven’t spoken to him in a few years, so I have to wonder if the increased awareness of people having problems with dairy has made it easier for him to get a burger that hasn’t been contaminated with cheese. 
Overall, I wish wait staff and people in general would be less judgmental about food choices. For example, the fact that I won’t eat seafood doesn’t mean I distrust someone’s cooking or don’t think the restaurant has fresh enough seafood; it just means I hate seafood, and I shouldn’t have to justify my preference. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

My ex-husband is Jewish, and while he didn’t observe all the dietary laws, he was adamant about not mixing dairy and meat. I can’t even begin to count the times he would order a burger, decline cheese when it was offered as an option, refuse to accept the cheeseburger that was served, and have to explain to wait staff that no, just scraping the cheese off wasn’t sufficient. Admittedly, this was more common in small towns. I haven’t spoken to him in a few years, so I have to wonder if the increased awareness of people having problems with dairy has made it easier for him to get a burger that hasn’t been contaminated with cheese. 
Overall, I wish wait staff and people in general would be less judgmental about food choices. For example, the fact that I won’t eat seafood doesn’t mean I distrust someone’s cooking or don’t think the restaurant has fresh enough seafood; it just means I hate seafood, and I shouldn’t have to justify my preference. 

I know, it's like when I say no mayo, they think I'm just kidding or something. I'm not, the stuff makes me gag.

• Love 4

On the food spectrum my peeve is chili oil in all things sushi. I can eat spicy tuna, to an extent but when that tuna is fire engine red due to the insane amount of chili oil added, well that's going to be a hard pass from me. But then the chili oil in things you wouldn't even expect is making it harder to order my favorites. When I say no chili oil they take it to mean nothing with chili oil. I've even tried "no extra" chili oil but sometimes the "no" gets missed and I end up with extra chili oil.

22 hours ago, PRgal said:

Are you trying to cut back on the white stuff, rice ,pasta, bread?

On 1/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, BookWoman56 said:

When lemons go bad, they can make you very sick.  I never eat a lemon out if served.  Once when getting bagels, I bought the vegetable cream cheese.  I was sick for 3 days from the leeks that went bad in the cream cheese.

1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

Are you trying to cut back on the white stuff, rice ,pasta, bread?

If you've seen my dad's congee, you'd know why I don't like rice.  And East Asian style rice sticks together and grosses me out.  Also, I like higher fibre foods (so I'll eat oats, some whole grains, ancient grains, etc... in smallish-medium amounts)

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1
On 1/18/2021 at 8:27 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Um...this is not true. (Although I agree with you about tagging meals on social media - I find any display of "what I am eating right now" on social media to be incredibly narcissistic.). Many of us who do not have celiac disease have found that not eating gluten brings wonderful results - my incipient arthritis symptoms completely vanished once I stopped having anything with wheat in it. There is scientific evidence that at least a third of people do experience inflammatory symptoms due to gluten (stuff like psoriasis and asthma for example) and can be cured of their ailments by a simple dietary change.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

was sick for 3 days from the leeks that went bad in the cream cheese.

Short of a lab test, you have no way of knowing that.  When people get sick, they blame the last thing they ate, when it could have been the thing before that, or before that, or before that, or often not food related at all. We tend to shove something in our pie hole every couple of hours. Food borne illness does not manifest in a minute, it takes a minimum of an hour for staph, and up to 14 days for other organisms.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It doesn't help that I am a chronically negative person and have been all of my life, and yet I don't have the slightest clue how I became that way.  I don't know if there are any optimistic forums around here or not.   I don't think being inundated with so much negativity is helping any, and as I have said before there is a lot of negativity online.

May I make a suggestion? Try to find something to do for someone else....if you are able to leave the house comfortably (masked up, of course!), then volunteer at a food pantry or animal shelter or somewhere that needs help. If you can't leave home for whatever reason, find something you can do from home, like writing letters to our armed forces people stationed abroad or to seniors in care homes that never get mail or visits. There is absolutely no better cure for negativity than focusing on doing for others!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, isalicat said:

May I make a suggestion? Try to find something to do for someone else....if you are able to leave the house comfortably (masked up, of course!), then volunteer at a food pantry or animal shelter or somewhere that needs help. If you can't leave home for whatever reason, find something you can do from home, like writing letters to our armed forces people stationed abroad or to seniors in care homes that never get mail or visits. There is absolutely no better cure for negativity than focusing on doing for others!

That is awesome. I never feel better and more hopeful than I do when I'm helping the local food bank. I used to volunteer at The Humane Society but had to quit after six months but I'm not made of stern enough stuff. I went home crying every night.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That is awesome. I never feel better and more hopeful than I do when I'm helping the local food bank. I used to volunteer at The Humane Society but had to quit after six months but I'm not made of stern enough stuff. I went home crying every night.

Yup, yup, yup! I will circle back around to the topic by saying that one of my pet peeves with myself is how much of a wuss I am when it comes to animals so I have never been able to volunteer at our local animal shelter - I would just dissolve into a puddle of tears upon seeing any maltreated cat or dog (those TV commercials with abused dogs hurt me to my very soul even though it is such a worthy cause). My son and I were just discussing how he is getting depressed being at home away from co-workers (he works from home since March) and friends so I suggested volunteering and he brought up going to the animal shelter where he is and my immediate reaction was: "But you will want to bring them ALL home!" And he would too.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Yup, yup, yup! I will circle back around to the topic by saying that one of my pet peeves with myself is how much of a wuss I am when it comes to animals so I have never been able to volunteer at our local animal shelter - I would just dissolve into a puddle of tears upon seeing any maltreated cat or dog (those TV commercials with abused dogs hurt me to my very soul even though it is such a worthy cause). My son and I were just discussing how he is getting depressed being at home away from co-workers (he works from home since March) and friends so I suggested volunteering and he brought up going to the animal shelter where he is and my immediate reaction was: "But you will want to bring them ALL home!" And he would too.

I always did. In fact I did end up taking a cat home with me. He eventually became my dad's cat.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I am the same way. When I went to rescue the cat-cat I was bawling in the parking lot thinking of all the animals without homes, waiting for them to open, then bawling walking in, then pulled myself together for just enough time to complete the paperwork and leave. With tears shed on my way back to the car. A rescue organization helped me spring him and when I started donating to them I had to beg to be removed from their mailing lists. I started donating to the local shelter through my pet sitter and off their Amazon wishlist.. I buy a bunch of stuff and leave it for them when I go on vacation. They take it over to the shelter. 

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, isalicat said:

This pretty much describes me, too. Those TV commercials just break my heart. Animal abusers are among the lowest of the low. I don't get how people can be so cruel. 

My mom has a friend who's a vet, and she'll happily take in and take care of any strays that come around her place. If I had a bigger place with more room and whatnot, I'd totally want to do something like that, too :). 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Another option to consider is donating blood or platelets. I haven’t been able to do so for health reasons for a couple of years, but I used to donate platelets on a regular basis. Often people receiving chemotherapy need platelets, and it feels good to know you are possibly helping someone survive a certain treatment. Of course, blood is almost always needed as well, and the process for blood donation is usually fast and relatively easy. I know people can be squeamish about donating blood, but it’s a critical need. Most people don’t volunteer to donate, and so despite me living  in a large city, the local blood bank used to call me on a regular basis because I have AB- blood, and they would have a shortage. If you’re looking to do something positive and can’t handle volunteering at an animal shelter, please consider looking into blood/plasma/platelet donation as a way to help others. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 1/17/2015 at 12:20 PM, ramble said:

I love kiddo but it's s family thing. My dad used kiddo & it meant more than kid. It was sort of a secret "my children I love" message to us. I call my own children kiddos for the same reason.

A big pet peeve of mine, one that I deal with daily as I leave my neighborhood, is people not understanding the right of way order at a 4-way stop. Good grief it's annoying! I wish I could post a large poster drawn in simple terms at each stop sign. I'm one of those people who talk to other drivers in the privacy of my own car & every morning I feel like I'm telling people they need to study the stupid driving laws again. My kiddos (ha) usually sing a snippet of Let It Go each morning. The lyrics change. "Let it go, let it go, she must've just learned to drive." "Let it go, let it go, he'll never figure out he's next." At least that part is fun.

this pisses me off.. but not as much as the people who do not know what YIELD means.. we have a roundabout (or circular loop) near where i live.. with a HUGE yield sign.. Nobody yields (except me and hope i don't get rear-ended in the process).. oy

• Love 4