Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 10/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, PRgal said:

When exactly does one start feeling old?  I look young for my age (41) as well, but lately, I've already started feeling aches and pains.  And I work out and eat well (my dad says I eat "too clean").  Plus I don't recognize a lot of celebrities anymore.  

I started feeling old when I couldn’t wear high heels anymore.  The last time I wore them was at my last       child’s wedding, and I changed into my slippers after the pictures were taken.  I even wear my rose gold Sketchers slippers to the Doctor.  Everyone loves them. 😁  I’m sorry I didn’t get the Silver ones also. 😥

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

So many people did this to me when I worked as a cashier in 2018–2020. They wouldn't even acknowledge me as they stood at my register and I rang up their groceries. Just standing their jacking their jaws with their personal business broadcasted—or FACETIMED, FFS!—to the world because they are the center of the universe and everyone else merely orbits them. It's incredibly fucking rude, and if you treat people like that, you're a narcissistic piece of shit. Rethink your life.

Agreed. And of course, they'd be the same ones complaining if they got up to the counter and found a cashier was on the phone with someone. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Kelly said:

Grrr...what IS it with the people in stores talking on the phone?  I am encountering these folks with more and more frequency and I guess I'm an oldie but what is the point exactly in walking around the store talking loudly on a phone (and clearly not talking to the transplant team)?  They are usually standing in the way, oblivious to others etc  You want to talk on the phone?  Go right ahead!   I'm not sure why you feel the need to do it in the lotion isle at Target and give everyone the stink eye that is trying to get around you.

Vent over...

Personally, on the very few occasions I go out, my phone is sanitized before I leave then zipped into my freshly washed jacket pocket and doesn't come out no matter what until I get home and sanitize my hands yet again (many times on trip out) before taking it out of my pocket and putting the jacket in the wash. Wallet gets the same treatment, debit card in back pant pocket gets sanitized each use and again at home. My goal is always to get my errands done as quickly and efficiently and not waste time on the phone. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Personally, on the very few occasions I go out, my phone is sanitized before I leave then zipped into my freshly washed jacket pocket and doesn't come out no matter what until I get home and sanitize my hands yet again (many times on trip out) before taking it out of my pocket and putting the jacket in the wash. Wallet gets the same treatment, debit card in back pant pocket gets sanitized each use and again at home. My goal is always to get my errands done as quickly and efficiently and not waste time on the phone. 

Just curious, if your phone doesn't come out of your pocket no matter what, why don't you just leave it at home?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, GaT said:

Just curious, if your phone doesn't come out of your pocket no matter what, why don't you just leave it at home?

Because I use a step counter ap on it. Shopping is a lot of steps!

• Love 5
20 hours ago, bilgistic said:

So many people did this to me when I worked as a cashier in 2018–2020. They wouldn't even acknowledge me as they stood at my register and I rang up their groceries. Just standing their jacking their jaws with their personal business broadcasted—or FACETIMED, FFS!—to the world because they are the center of the universe and everyone else merely orbits them. It's incredibly fucking rude, and if you treat people like that, you're a narcissistic piece of shit. Rethink your life.

When I had my flower shop, if people did that to me, I'd just ignore them Like they were invisible. I realize you were not in the same situation. And if they said "why are you ignoring me?" I'd say "I was just waiting for you to finish your call." One of the things that really pissed me off was, because my shop was in the lobby of a high rise office building, people would use my shop as a phone call zone. 

• Love 2

On the subject of people talking on their phones in public and being oblivious, I work at a food pantry three days a week and we run groceries out to our clients' cars as they are no longer allowed to get out of their cars and come get their bags themselves. Its rather odd when you have an arm load of groceries (we give three full bags to each family and a significant percentage of cars arriving are picking up for more than one family nowadays) and the person in the car is just yacking away, ignoring you while you are trying to find out where they want their groceries (back seat, trunk, hood of the car????). Then we have a few people that just sit there, continuing to chat instead of getting their car out of the space so the next family can pull in. Last week one lady sat in her car, talking on her cell for at least a half hour after we had given her groceries, completely unconcerned about taking up a much needed slot. Of course this is all much less annoying than the people that jump out of their cars (no - stay back, you unmasked idjut!) so they can root through the bags of groceries and complain about their various food preferences and how we are not providing them with organic, grass fed prime steaks or whatever. Or the meth heads that just want cookies and cake....

32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is anyone else getting these "504 gateway timeout" messages? Like a lot?

Me, too.  I figured it was my internet, which is sucking extra hard right now.  It's pissing me off more than usual today.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Me, too.  I figured it was my internet, which is sucking extra hard right now.  It's pissing me off more than usual today.

Me too. Lately it's been like once a day but today it's happened five times. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

On the subject of people talking on their phones in public and being oblivious, I work at a food pantry three days a week and we run groceries out to our clients' cars as they are no longer allowed to get out of their cars and come get their bags themselves. Its rather odd when you have an arm load of groceries (we give three full bags to each family and a significant percentage of cars arriving are picking up for more than one family nowadays) and the person in the car is just yacking away, ignoring you while you are trying to find out where they want their groceries (back seat, trunk, hood of the car????). Then we have a few people that just sit there, continuing to chat instead of getting their car out of the space so the next family can pull in. Last week one lady sat in her car, talking on her cell for at least a half hour after we had given her groceries, completely unconcerned about taking up a much needed slot. Of course this is all much less annoying than the people that jump out of their cars (no - stay back, you unmasked idjut!) so they can root through the bags of groceries and complain about their various food preferences and how we are not providing them with organic, grass fed prime steaks or whatever. Or the meth heads that just want cookies and cake....

Can anyone explain why a cellphone takes precedence over food for some people?

On 1/7/2021 at 7:25 PM, Annber03 said:

Agreed. And of course, they'd be the same ones complaining if they got up to the counter and found a cashier was on the phone with someone. 

I give lots of credit to anyone who is a cashier in a store or drive thru.  I could never do it.  You have to be mentally alert every minute, and at a fast pace.  I would probably faint then and there.  They deserve more money than they are getting.

• Love 7

It can be a very crazy job, that's for sure. 

And then there's the whole thing of trying to make small talk while you're ringing people up, but sometimes some customers take that to mean, "Let me tell you my whole life story/tell you how shitty my entire day was in detail", and hold up the line.

Or they have their kids be the ones to bring the cash up to the counter, or pay with a ton of change, and you have to count it all out one by one, or things of that sort. 

6 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

They deserve more money than they are getting.

I got minimum wage when I worked retail. I worked at a bookstore, so it wasn't nearly as stressful as it can be at other types of stores (like supermarkets), but yeah, given some of the people one has to deal with, it's definitely not enough, no. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I give lots of credit to anyone who is a cashier in a store or drive thru.  I could never do it.  You have to be mentally alert every minute, and at a fast pace.  I would probably faint then and there.  They deserve more money than they are getting.

I've thought this too! I feel so bad for how poorly some people treat them. I've worked as a cashier but only in retail. We all get annoyed if someone gets our order wrong or whatever, but these folks work hard and don't get paid much. If you want affordable, quick, tasty food, try frozen foods or whipping up simple recipes at home! I'm vegetarian so it's especially frustrating when I get meat in my orders, but human errors happen. Another reason I feel for the employees is the crazy world we live in. It can be scary dealing with the public. A Burger King employee was even shot and killed a few months ago. Someone got mad because he thought he waited too long for his food! It breaks my heart these workers go to work trying to earn an honest living, are underpaid and under-appreciated, and then some evil bastards even harm them. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Another reason I feel for the employees is the crazy world we live in. It can be scary dealing with the public. A Burger King employee was even shot and killed a few months ago. Someone got mad because he thought he waited too long for his food! 

Oh, geez. 

It's not on that level of horrifying, but your mention of Burger King reminds me of this one time my dad and I had gone there to get some breakfast, and when we came in there was a line. At the front, here was this asshole screaming at the poor worker behind the counter because there was an issue with the guy's order. The worker was a high school kid, and the guy was demanding to see the manager. The kid tried to explain that their manager was off that day, and they weren't able to get a hold of him, but the guy wasn't having it and kept shouting at him

Finally, the guy stormed off, and the line moved on like normal. I felt so bad for the kid that when I went up to make my order, I said something like, "I'm sorry you had to deal with that" to him. 

I also remember, when I worked at a bookstore, there was some woman who came in one night wanting to return a book, but she didn't have her receipt and we couldn't accept returns without a receipt. She started arguing with us over it, and we stayed firm in our stance. So she left, and then a short time later, she came back in with her husband, I guess she figured he might be a little more imposing or something, and we might be more inclined to listen to him as a result. 

Nope. Still refused. They finally left, and a customer who was nearby spoke up and was like, "I just want to say good on you guys for standing your ground." It's always nice when you get customers who do get it and support you :).

And that's another thing I think some customers fail to understand. We may not agree with or like some of the rules that are in place, either, or may be frustrated over a mistake that one of our co-workers made, or that was out of anyone's control at all, that we're now having to sort out. Believe me, sometimes we wish we could just say, "Screw it" and do whatever we can to satisfy these customers so they can shut up and go away faster. But a) we don't make those rules, we just work there, and b) if we don't follow them, then our jobs are in jeopardy. We're not refusing to return something or screwing up an order or whatever to purposefully ruin a customer's day just for shits and giggles. We're human. Stuff happens, some of which is out of our control. And if a customer is polite and understanding about that fact, most workers will have no problem trying to do whatever they can to help the customer and make things right. If they're rude, not so much.

(This is not to say, by the way, that there aren't workers who intentionally fuck things up, of course, or who are equally as rude to customers, or things of that sort, because there most certainly are. And the rest of us workers can't stand them, either, because they make our jobs that much harder as well. Unfortunately, sometimes it's not so easy to get rid of the co-workers who suck at their jobs.)

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, geez. 

It's not on that level of horrifying, but your mention of Burger King reminds me of this one time my dad and I had gone there to get some breakfast, and when we came in there was a line. At the front, here was this asshole screaming at the poor worker behind the counter because there was an issue with the guy's order. The worker was a high school kid, and the guy was demanding to see the manager. The kid tried to explain that their manager was off that day, and they weren't able to get a hold of him, but the guy wasn't having it and kept shouting at him

Finally, the guy stormed off, and the line moved on like normal. I felt so bad for the kid that when I went up to make my order, I said something like, "I'm sorry you had to deal with that" to him. 

I also remember, when I worked at a bookstore, there was some woman who came in one night wanting to return a book, but she didn't have her receipt and we couldn't accept returns without a receipt. She started arguing with us over it, and we stayed firm in our stance. So she left, and then a short time later, she came back in with her husband, I guess she figured he might be a little more imposing or something, and we might be more inclined to listen to him as a result. 

Nope. Still refused. They finally left, and a customer who was nearby spoke up and was like, "I just want to say good on you guys for standing your ground." It's always nice when you get customers who do get it and support you :).

And that's another thing I think some customers fail to understand. We may not agree with or like some of the rules that are in place, either, or may be frustrated over a mistake that one of our co-workers made, or that was out of anyone's control at all, that we're now having to sort out. Believe me, sometimes we wish we could just say, "Screw it" and do whatever we can to satisfy these customers so they can shut up and go away faster. But a) we don't make those rules, we just work there, and b) if we don't follow them, then our jobs are in jeopardy. We're not refusing to return something or screwing up an order or whatever to purposefully ruin a customer's day just for shits and giggles. We're human. Stuff happens, some of which is out of our control. And if a customer is polite and understanding about that fact, most workers will have no problem trying to do whatever they can to help the customer and make things right. If they're rude, not so much.

(This is not to say, by the way, that there aren't workers who intentionally fuck things up, of course, or who are equally as rude to customers, or things of that sort, because there most certainly are. And the rest of us workers can't stand them, either, because they make our jobs that much harder as well. Unfortunately, sometimes it's not so easy to get rid of the co-workers who suck at their jobs.)

Agree with all of this! When I worked in retail, customers would often get mad at me over prices. I do not make the prices. It's not my store. I agree this thing is overpriced, but I can't just change prices willy nilly. 

And yes, those of us who've worked in retail/fast food/restaurants know there are many jerks on the service side. We're customers too. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when even the most nice, hardworking people of these jobs get so much ugliness. I do my best to be nice and tip well at restaurants. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I've thought this too! I feel so bad for how poorly some people treat them. I've worked as a cashier but only in retail. We all get annoyed if someone gets our order wrong or whatever, but these folks work hard and don't get paid much. If you want affordable, quick, tasty food, try frozen foods or whipping up simple recipes at home! I'm vegetarian so it's especially frustrating when I get meat in my orders, but human errors happen. Another reason I feel for the employees is the crazy world we live in. It can be scary dealing with the public. A Burger King employee was even shot and killed a few months ago. Someone got mad because he thought he waited too long for his food! It breaks my heart these workers go to work trying to earn an honest living, are underpaid and under-appreciated, and then some evil bastards even harm them. 

Especially Seniors who still need to work to make ends meet, or young kids working their way thru school.  You have some macho bullies screaming at them for one reason or another.  I want to get out of my car and smash their faces in.  Fuckers!

• Love 10
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

And yes, those of us who've worked in retail/fast food/restaurants know there are many jerks on the service side. We're customers too. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when even the most nice, hardworking people of these jobs get so much ugliness. I do my best to be nice and tip well at restaurants. 

I worked fast food for years.  I remember once when I was working at McDonald's there were these two late-teen (maybe early 20s) girls in line.  There was like one customer in front of them. it was sort of late so I was the only one doing counter.  I could hear them talking as I was finishing up the customer in front of them.  One of them said she used to work at McDonald's and people used to treat her like crap.  So, I thought, good, they'll probably be nice to me.  Nope.  She ordered soemthing she had to wait a couple of minutes for.  Again, remember it was late, so in order to not throw a ton of food away, we only had a couple of cheeseburgers ready to go, or something like that. Anyway, rude as heck about it.  Unless she lived in some major big city (which i doubt since this took place in a small town in New England) she ought to know that when there are hardly any customers, there's hardly any food sitting ready. Common sense even if you don't work there.

• Love 5

If we all followed The Golden Rule, there would be so much less discord. But maybe also less entertaining snark.

Before college, I worked as a cashier at a Mom and Pop restaurant. This was a long time ago. The cash register was old. There were a few arcade-style video games in the lounge. The owners had about 19 sons and daughters. The youngest son enjoyed playing Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc. (I told you it was a long time ago). He would come up to my stand with one-dollar bills, requesting quarters. I handed them over.

One day, his father marched over and handed me a dollar and instructed me to “Make change for a penny.” (Oh, my gosh: my predictive text did not recognize the lower-case word for the coin “penny” and assumed that I meant the name “Penny.”) I was really meek as a teenager, so I was already nervous, because he was the owner and never smiled. But I also thought, “Make change for a penny? I don’t think that’s possible. That’s the lowest denomination, as far as I know. If we are talking about U.S. currency...” So I just stood there, gaping like a trout. “Umm... make change for a penny?” This exchange proved to my boss that I was as dumb as his 9-year-old son claimed that I was. Apparently, his father had noticed that the boy had been playing video games for more than three hours. He had demanded, “How are you STILL playing Pac-Man?!? I gave you two dollars for video games.” The son told him that when he gives that cashier one dollar, she sometimes accidentally gives him more than one dollar in quarters in exchange. When the owner had ordered me to make change for a penny, he meant, “If I want to pay for something that costs one penny, and I give you one dollar, show me the change you would give back to me.”

So I think the owner went and spoke to his wife (co-owner). I think he wanted to terminate me. They both spoke to the son. Eventually the son ‘fessed up that he had given me five or six dollars (some were from his allowance) total over the course of this period. He admitted that I do in fact know to give someone four quarters for one dollar.

I am still relieved and impressed, to this day, that he told the truth or that they were able to coax the truth out of him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
39 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

If we all followed The Golden Rule, there would be so much less discord. But maybe also less entertaining snark.

Before college, I worked as a cashier at a Mom and Pop restaurant. This was a long time ago. The cash register was old. There were a few arcade-style video games in the lounge. The owners had about 19 sons and daughters. The youngest son enjoyed playing Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc. (I told you it was a long time ago). He would come up to my stand with one-dollar bills, requesting quarters. I handed them over.

One day, his father marched over and handed me a dollar and instructed me to “Make change for a penny.” (Oh, my gosh: my predictive text did not recognize the lower-case word for the coin “penny” and assumed that I meant the name “Penny.”) I was really meek as a teenager, so I was already nervous, because he was the owner and never smiled. But I also thought, “Make change for a penny? I don’t think that’s possible. That’s the lowest denomination, as far as I know. If we are talking about U.S. currency...” So I just stood there, gaping like a trout. “Umm... make change for a penny?” This exchange proved to my boss that I was as dumb as his 9-year-old son claimed that I was. Apparently, his father had noticed that the boy had been playing video games for more than three hours. He had demanded, “How are you STILL playing Pac-Man?!? I gave you two dollars for video games.” The son told him that when he gives that cashier one dollar, she sometimes accidentally gives him more than one dollar in quarters in exchange. When the owner had ordered me to make change for a penny, he meant, “If I want to pay for something that costs one penny, and I give you one dollar, show me the change you would give back to me.”

So I think the owner went and spoke to his wife (co-owner). I think he wanted to terminate me. They both spoke to the son. Eventually the son ‘fessed up that he had given me five or six dollars (some were from his allowance) total over the course of this period. He admitted that I do in fact know to give someone four quarters for one dollar.

I am still relieved and impressed, to this day, that he told the truth or that they were able to coax the truth out of him.

They should have known by cashing your drawer out at the end of your shift, too.  

I know this isn't the point of your story, but I don't get why that was a good lie.  If the story were true and that were me, my parents would have expected me to hand back the extra quarters.  Not play them.

• Love 8

I worked a few retail and food service jobs during summers in high school, and mostly worked with other kids (other than the manager).  Then summer between high school and college and a few months of my freshman year, I worked for a department store, where a few of my co-workers were single moms, or widows back in the workforce for the first time in decades.  It was a reality check - this crappy job I did for spending money is what some people, especially women, had to somehow live on and even support other people on.

I quit to go on my family's usual Thanksgiving trip; obviously no one could have Black Friday off, so I had to either work it or quit, and I didn't need the job, so I gave my notice (and I had initially not intended to work once school started to begin with, but because I was a great worker they offered to accommodate my schedule and I thought, hey, more drink money and I keep my employee discount - sure, I'll stay).  I knew how lucky I was to be able to do that, and while that was my last retail job (I switched to office work via temp agencies for subsequent summers - better pay and no dealing with the public, although of course secretarial staff deal with their own brand of abuse) it permanently imprinted on me a respect for people doing the best they can in a thankless job.

During a recent trip to a chain supermarket (I mostly shop independent, but every once in a while there's a sale too good to pass up), the cashier working the express line told the man in front of me who'd just started unloading his cart that he had too many items and would need to use a regular line.  After I unloaded my basket, I thanked her for enforcing the policy.  She said she always does when she notices it before they've put much on the belt, but when it might cause more delay to customers behind them to make them put everything back in the cart and go away, it's hard to judge what will anger the fewest people.  She thanked me for my thanks, so on my way out I commended her to the manager.

And that's something I should do more often - people complain to management about all manner of things, both legitimate and ridiculous, but usually don't expend the energy to praise an employee for not just the above and beyond service, but the more mundane doing a good job during potentially volatile circumstances.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I worked a few retail and food service jobs during summers in high school, and mostly worked with other kids (other than the manager).  Then summer between high school and college and a few months of my freshman year, I worked for a department store, where a few of my co-workers were single moms, or widows back in the workforce for the first time in decades.  It was a reality check - this crappy job I did for spending money is what some people, especially women, had to somehow live on and even support other people on.

I quit to go on my family's usual Thanksgiving trip; obviously no one could have Black Friday off, so I had to either work it or quit, and I didn't need the job, so I gave my notice (and I had initially not intended to work once school started to begin with, but because I was a great worker they offered to accommodate my schedule and I thought, hey, more drink money and I keep my employee discount - sure, I'll stay).  I knew how lucky I was to be able to do that, and while that was my last retail job (I switched to office work via temp agencies for subsequent summers - better pay and no dealing with the public, although of course secretarial staff deal with their own brand of abuse) it permanently imprinted on me a respect for people doing the best they can in a thankless job.

During a recent trip to a chain supermarket (I mostly shop independent, but every once in a while there's a sale too good to pass up), the cashier working the express line told the man in front of me who'd just started unloading his cart that he had too many items and would need to use a regular line.  After I unloaded my basket, I thanked her for enforcing the policy.  She said she always does when she notices it before they've put much on the belt, but when it might cause more delay to customers behind them to make them put everything back in the cart and go away, it's hard to judge what will anger the fewest people.  She thanked me for my thanks, so on my way out I commended her to the manager.

And that's something I should do more often - people complain to management about all manner of things, both legitimate and ridiculous, but usually don't expend the energy to praise an employee for not just the above and beyond service, but the more mundane doing a good job during potentially volatile circumstances.

This is so true. Whenever I had people commend me to management, it meant the world to me.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A Burger King employee was even shot and killed a few months ago.

I was robbed at gunpoint when working at a BK drive thru back in 1979.. the gun was shoved into my ribs.  I am so thankful he didn't pull the trigger as there was no way I'd have survived that.  People used to walk back to the window to pick up missed items like napkins or ketchup packets and we didn't think much of it until that happened.  

My pet peeve for today:  went to the ladies room in a box store today, and I was by myself at the sink washing my hands.  A group of *five* employees come in and stand super close, chatting and were blocking my exit.  I had to ask them to step back and let me exit.  Why were there so many and why were they so close to me and each other?  😤

Just now, Annber03 said:

Oh, god. I'm so sorry that happened to you, @Callietwo. How terrifying. 

Thanks..  It was definitely scary.  And shockingly, since I was 18 (barely) at the time, the local paper printed my name & address as the only witness that could identify the gunman.  Talk about looking over my shoulder for quite some time.  I am glad they don't do that kind of thing to victims of crimes anymore.   

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

Thanks..  It was definitely scary.  And shockingly, since I was 18 (barely) at the time, the local paper printed my name & address as the only witness that could identify the gunman.  Talk about looking over my shoulder for quite some time.  I am glad they don't do that kind of thing to victims of crimes anymore.   

That's terrible. I though they weren't allowed to print the names of victims.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's terrible. I though they weren't allowed to print the names of victims.

I don't think they do it now but back in our hometown in 1979, they did.. and even included my address as well which is just beyond the pale.  Nowadays that would be a lawsuit for sure.  I was still in school and living at home and all my parents did was give me xanax from my mom's stash to help 'calm my fears', lol. 

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Just from reading the story, I don't think it would have mattered.  They sound like the type of people that I hate with a passion.  If the kid didn't own up to it, she would have probably been canned, and then they would have checked her cashed out drawer, and told their kid that he cost her the job by lying.

Peeve, and this is a big one.  People who take out their anger on people who they aren't angry at.  In other words, misplaced anger.  It happens a lot where someone is really pissed off and they can't go at it with the person that they are pissed at, so they take it out on innocent people.   Usually people who have no choice but to sit there and take it.

My husband does this and I call him on it every damn time. He knows he's doing it and I can stop him in his tracks by pointing it out but it's so fucking annoying.

• Love 6

Someone I knew in college worked in a small neighborhood grocery store and she was robbed a gunpoint one night; after cleaning out the register, the guy told her to walk to the back of the store so he could leave.  I assume he didn't want her to see what direction he went.  But the entire time she was walking down that aisle she thought he was going to shoot her in the back.  And the police questioned her as a possible suspect, wondering if she had cooperated with a friend to steal the money!  But the owner of the store told them there was no way she could be involved and then the guy got arrested the next day after robbing a gas station.  His bad luck to have a squad car on routine patrol come down the street just as he walked out pulling off a ski mask - in August.

My peeve - after an incredibly busy/stressful week made worse by the flare up of an old back injury, I crawled into bed last night thinking I could sleep in this morning, and I woke up at about 4:30 and could not get back to sleep.  So frustrating, to be completely exhausted and wanting to sleep, and my body says "Nope!"

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

They should have known by cashing your drawer out at the end of your shift, too.  

I know this isn't the point of your story, but I don't get why that was a good lie.  If the story were true and that were me, my parents would have expected me to hand back the extra quarters.  Not play them.

Heh, heh. Thank you for reading my long story!

Yes, if that were me at age nine, and some cashier were accidentally giving me too many quarters, my parents would insist that I return the extra money. And they would be angry and embarrassed. 
It’s not a good lie. But the boy managed to take the attention off himself for a few minutes. 
I remember thinking, “The owner thought that his son might be telling the truth. Then I confirmed it by not knowing how to give him ‘change for a penny’.”

That job was my first job, after babysitting and working as a dishwasher and then den leader at a Cub Scout camp. They paid me a dollar an hour to babysit. Two dollars an hour after midnight. I thought, “This is so much money!!” 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The owners sound like assholes.

That didn't last long.   I tried, and I tried, but I just can't sometimes, I just can't.

The husband was definitely an a- - - - - -. He always seemed ticked off about something. And he only hired pretty, very blonde women for the hostess position.

There are a lot of people out there who don’t really deserve for others to apply The Golden Rule when dealing with them. Sigh. 

• Love 3

Football, again. Stupid football game is preempting SNL again. This fucking game isn't even scheduled to be over until 1130pm. Like WTF, schedule this shit to end earlier. I also hate the cult around football. I get sports, I'm a hockey fan but it's bullshit to schedule games like this. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I was robbed at gunpoint when working at a BK drive thru back in 1979.. the gun was shoved into my ribs.  I am so thankful he didn't pull the trigger as there was no way I'd have survived that.  People used to walk back to the window to pick up missed items like napkins or ketchup packets and we didn't think much of it until that happened.  

My pet peeve for today:  went to the ladies room in a box store today, and I was by myself at the sink washing my hands.  A group of *five* employees come in and stand super close, chatting and were blocking my exit.  I had to ask them to step back and let me exit.  Why were there so many and why were they so close to me and each other?  😤

Omg that's so scary! I am glad you're okay, but I know you never forget something like that. Even though most people are basically good, there are way too many monsters out there. 

And ugh, I experience stuff like this too. There's a pandemic people! Respect one another's space. 

• Love 4

As for SNL, the original cast back in the seventies was awesome.  Everything since, not so much.

Um, Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Chris Rock, John Candy, Norm MacDonald, Chris Farley, Michael Myers? Tina Fey, Kate McKinnon, Maya Rudolph?

• Love 13
On 1/7/2021 at 10:51 PM, GaT said:

On 1/7/2021 at 11:04 PM, Gramto6 said:

Because I use a step counter ap on it. Shopping is a lot of steps!

On 1/7/2021 at 11:49 PM, GaT said:

LOL

And this is funny why? Walking is my only exercise due to health issues. I try to keep an accurate count of my steps daily. Think about all the walking you do in Target or Walmart or Costco...would you like to throw away all those steps in your daily count? It is not funny to me it is serious to keep myself healthy.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

And this is funny why? Walking is my only exercise due to health issues. I try to keep an accurate count of my steps daily. Think about all the walking you do in Target or Walmart or Costco...would you like to throw away all those steps in your daily count? It is not funny to me it is serious to keep myself healthy.

I take daily walks around my neighborhood and use my iPod touch to count my steps.  I also have it in my pocket while walking around when I’m in the grocery store.  You’re right, the steps do add up.  
However to stick to the theme here once in a while it stops counting and my steps aren’t recording.  Since I pretty much do the same route every day I have a rough idea of how many steps I did.  It’s still annoying that the steps didn’t record on a particular day.  

• Love 2

Ok I'm really tired of the universe manifesting things for people. I get that people believe in manifestation, but stuff like "the universe manifested a beautiful condo by the waterside for me" is absurd. No, you checked out a waterfront property and made a down payment on the property. It didn't just show up because you manifested it. 

It also IMO reeks of entitlement. Why has it become such a thing?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok I'm really tired of the universe manifesting things for people. I get that people believe in manifestation, but stuff like "the universe manifested a beautiful condo by the waterside for me" is absurd. No, you checked out a waterfront property and made a down payment on the property. It didn't just show up because you manifested it. 

I feel the same about "I'm blessed."  For some I think it has become rote sentiment, but to me, it implies that those who are struggling, aren't blessed.  I would prefer 'thankful', 'appreciative', or even 'lucky'.  

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I feel the same about "I'm blessed."  For some I think it has become rote sentiment, but to me, it implies that those who are struggling, aren't blessed.  I would prefer 'thankful', 'appreciative', or even 'lucky'.  

I hope I haven't annoyed too many people! lol I believe in manifesting and positivity, but I think everyone can take it a little far with their beliefs, whatever they are. Law of attraction does take work by the individual. It's not just "Universe, give me a mansion!" As for "blessed," I probably use the term more for others. As much as I believe in law of attraction style of thinking, it's a little obnoxious to be like "I'm blessed with beauty. I'm blessed with talent." Also, if I say someone was blessed with something, I never mean another person isn't also blessed. I'm one of those spiritual not religious folks, but I respect everyone's beliefs. One of my pet peeves though is when folks say, well God must exist because I blah blah or my blah blah. What about the person who wasn't so fortunate? Does that person or his/her loved one not matter? 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2

I hate "have a blessed day" everywhere, especially at work. Take your religious talk out of the workplace. But that's my general abhorrence for "the south" and how religion in public places, such as work, is acceptable. You may recall my workplace rant about one department having fucking bible verses up on a white board. Not even general ones that promote kindness which would be bad enough but questionable ones, and HR wouldn't do anything because "it's the south". Fuck that noise. It's a shame that I love my job and my boss so much because I fucking hate it here and after 3 years of this, if I'm not digging it yet I never will.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14