Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 1/9/2021 at 6:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

My husband does this and I call him on it every damn time. He knows he's doing it and I can stop him in his tracks by pointing it out but it's so fucking annoying.

Tell me about it.  My husband is the same way.  Now, I call him out right then and there so he can get embarrassed, but he doesn’t.  He is actually afraid of me, so doesn’t mess with me.  Lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/7/2021 at 9:10 AM, WinnieWinkle said:

The neighbours who do not appear to believe there is a pandemic have at least 6 cars in their driveway and in front of their house this morning*.  I am certainly not going to "tattle" on them but I am channeling my inner Mary Cooper (BBT and Young Sheldon) and observing them with righteous condemnation.  My pet peeve here is that I feel like I'm in the wrong for even noticing, let alone caring, what my neighbours are doing!  They are ignoring all the rules that have been put in place to try and control this pandemic and yet I feel like a busybody for noticing and caring that they just don't seem to give a damn.  Sigh.

*Clearly a celebration of some kind as there are balloons on the door and Gladys Kravitz here noticed people going in with gift bags etc.  In my defense it's hard not to see stuff happening right across the street!

That's my neighbor too! tons of people in the last summer as well.

My peeve for the day (inspired by a completely different forum, so not trying to point fingers at anyone here).  People who post just a link (or embed a video) with absolutely no comment/description/explanation.  Maybe it leads to the most relevant/informative/hilarious thing ever, but if you don't give me a clue what it is, I ain't clicking on it!

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
59 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

My peeve for the day (inspired by a completely different forum, so not trying to point fingers at anyone here).  People who post just a link (or embed a video) with absolutely no comment/description/explanation.  Maybe it leads to the most relevant/informative/hilarious thing ever, but if you don't give me a clue what it is, I ain't clicking on it!

Nobody wants to get Rickrolled.

• LOL 8
9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I hate "have a blessed day" everywhere, especially at work. Take your religious talk out of the workplace. But that's my general abhorrence for "the south" and how religion in public places, such as work, is acceptable. You may recall my workplace rant about one department having fucking bible verses up on a white board. Not even general ones that promote kindness which would be bad enough but questionable ones, and HR wouldn't do anything because "it's the south". Fuck that noise. It's a shame that I love my job and my boss so much because I fucking hate it here and after 3 years of this, if I'm not digging it yet I never will.

I'm getting generally irritable about generalizations of regions and groups of people.

And your HR person is full of shit.  That is not acceptable because its "in the South".  Its your workplace that is like this.  My workplace is "in the south" and they would never allow bible verses and stuff on white boards.  I also don't think I've had anyone say "have a blessed day" to me in any setting.  The most I hear about religion at work (or anywhere really)  is the people who are super into their church and will talk about it in a what they did that weekend kind of way.

Frankly, I don't see that much religious stuff at all.  Maybe I'm used to a level of it because I've lived here so long and just don't see or hear it.  But I don't recognize "the south" you hate so much.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4

My best friend lived in Florida for two or three years before high-tailing it back to CA, and, as the HR director, she encountered that "well, that's how we do things here" objection when she pointed out numerous inappropriate religious references in the office, on company email/voicemail, etc.  Her boss (the president of the company) supported the changes she made, but it was still frustrating for her.  As were a lot of things about living there.

I'm always reminded of her experience when you talk about how much you hate living in GA, @theredhead77, because she - who had moved because the cost of living was so much cheaper - felt the same way about FL and, after a few years, said, "Screw it; this is not for me, I don't care how much bigger my house is."  Different strokes for different folks, and from my travels I'm sure I'd feel the way you both do.  I'm glad you at least like your boss and job, so you're not entirely miserable, especially now when work is pretty much the only thing you get to do!

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm getting generally irritable about generalizations of regions and groups of people.

And your HR person is full of shit.  That is not acceptable because its "in the South".  Its your workplace that is like this.  My workplace is "in the south" and they would never allow bible verses and stuff on white boards.  I also don't think I've had anyone say "have a blessed day" to me in any setting.  The most I hear about religion at work (or anywhere really)  is the people who are super into their church and will talk about it in a what they did that weekend kind of way.

Frankly, I don't see that much religious stuff at all.  Maybe I'm used to a level of it because I've lived here so long and just don't see or hear it.  But I don't recognize "the south" you hate so much.

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm not - strictly speaking - in the South. But I'm in a rural Southernish sort of place, and I can't imagine anyone telling me to "have a blessed day" outside the four walls of a church.

I'm not denying your experience, @theredhead77. I'd just suggest it's less a regional issue, and more an issue of a shitty company with a bad culture and an HR "professional" who doesn't want to do their job. That would never fly, not even at my family-owned-by-conservatives employer.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I hate "have a blessed day" everywhere, especially at work. Take your religious talk out of the workplace. But that's my general abhorrence for "the south" and how religion in public places, such as work, is acceptable. You may recall my workplace rant about one department having fucking bible verses up on a white board. Not even general ones that promote kindness which would be bad enough but questionable ones, and HR wouldn't do anything because "it's the south". Fuck that noise. It's a shame that I love my job and my boss so much because I fucking hate it here and after 3 years of this, if I'm not digging it yet I never will.

Yeah I try not to use blessed toward someone who isn't religious. I just tell people "have a good day." One thing I've dealt with coworkers is church invitation after church invitation. I try to be as respectful as possible to everyone from devout Christians to atheists. I think some folks take this as "oh there's hope for her, let me try to get her to become a believer." I've also had friends who aren't religious but have to take part in prayer at work each day. It Is very frustrating. 

• Love 2
On 1/8/2021 at 2:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

Is anyone else getting these "504 gateway timeout" messages? Like a lot?

Not only the 504 but tonight I got 502 and 503 WTF??? This is really annoying!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

If I were a computer / internet guru, I wouldn't be sitting here banging away earning other people some ad revenue, I'd be earning it for myself, but I would say that the proprietors of this site have some infrastructure issues that don't seem to be getting solved.  I'm probably wrong, but whatever the cause, it is annoying as hell.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yeah I try not to use blessed toward someone who isn't religious. I just tell people "have a good day." One thing I've dealt with coworkers is church invitation after church invitation. I try to be as respectful as possible to everyone from devout Christians to atheists. I think some folks take this as "oh there's hope for her, let me try to get her to become a believer." I've also had friends who aren't religious but have to take part in prayer at work each day. It Is very frustrating. 

I work for a church affiliated hospital. So I hear have blessed day all the time and I just smile and don't anything and keep walking..

• Love 4
On 1/11/2021 at 10:56 AM, theredhead77 said:

I lived in the south for too many years.  I ignored the have a blessed day stuff (just smiled my "thanks") and went on my way. It can be quite a closed place (e.g., southerners not interested in getting to know people from other parts of the country).  So glad to be living in a place where no one cares about my accent & doesn't care where I grew up.  I did meet some wonderful people there (which is why Designing Women felt so familiar to me) but I'm glad to be further north again.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I say Blessed Be on Halloween because I'm a witch.

In December I wish people a Happy Festivus or "Happy [insert your December holiday of choice here]". Too many December holidays to assume someone celebrates one, more than one or any at all. That's why we have Festivus! It's for the restofus! And until just now I had no idea that Festivus had an official date (it's been years since I've watched Seinfeld) of Dec 23rd.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

In December I wish people a Happy Festivus or "Happy [insert your December holiday of choice here]". Too many December holidays to assume someone celebrates one, more than one or any at all. That's why we have Festivus! It's for the restofus! And until just now I had no idea that Festivus had an official date (it's been years since I've watched Seinfeld) of Dec 23rd.

I made the traditional Festivus meatloaf last Dec. 23. Now, the grievances. I've got a lot of problems with you people.

• LOL 13
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I love Festivus and the feats of strength and the pole and especially the airing of grievances lol

• Love 4
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

That's why we have Festivus! It's for the restofus! And until just now I had no idea that Festivus had an official date (it's been years since I've watched Seinfeld) of Dec 23rd.

Yep, the 23rd - a friend and I exchange Happy Festivus cards every year, in which we write "A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund".

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

DSW emails. Love your store and shopping there, but good grief, relax on the emails! I had to redirect them to my junk folder, because even when you select less frequent emails, they still email you multiple times in one day. It's ridiculous. 

• Love 2
On 1/12/2021 at 1:20 AM, Gramto6 said:

Three times already, I got a call from my Grandson who needed money to get out of jail.  He got in some kind of trouble and needed money for a lawyer.  Of course it’s a hoax, but how do they know I have a Grandson who drives?   My friends have gotten this call also.  It sounds so real, and people fall for it.  I played along once and they told me to send $2500 to the Dominican Republic via Western Union.  People fall for this shit.   

Edited by Silver Bells
21 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Three times already, I got a call from my Grandson who needed money to get out of jail.  He got in some kind of trouble and needed money for a lawyer.  Of course it’s a hoax, but how do they know I have a Grandson who drives?   My friends have gotten this call also.  It sounds so real, and people fall for it.  I played along once and they told me to send $2500 to the Dominican Republic via Western Union.  People fall for this shit.

My mom almost did once too. Then she came to her senses. My dad almost got caught up in one, he was going around telling everyone that he had won five million dollars. It stopped when his bank called me telling me he was trying to withdraw ten thousand dollars he "had" to send to them to collect his money.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

DSW emails. Love your store and shopping there, but good grief, relax on the emails! I had to redirect them to my junk folder, because even when you select less frequent emails, they still email you multiple times in one day. It's ridiculous. 

I don't get DSW emails, but CVS & Ulta drive me crazy. I had to just stop Michael's, & cut down Barnes & Noble to once a week. I don't understand why companies think spamming their customers is a good idea.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't get DSW emails, but CVS & Ulta drive me crazy. I had to just stop Michael's, & cut down Barnes & Noble to once a week. I don't understand why companies think spamming their customers is a good idea.

I generally only sign on for these assaults if there is a significant savings offered for doing so.  Generally, I unsubscribe as quickly as possible after using said discount.  I'm not ignorant to the apparent usefulness of these marketing techniques, but yeah, annoying as hell.  If they would limit to maybe once every week or 10 days, I think these folks would find it to be far more successfull.  I won't give them the reason for unsubscribing, as it seems to me that it should be pretty friggin' obvious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, GaT said:

Seems like wherever you go on line for something, they want your phone number or else they don’t go forward.  Then, they probably sell it to whoever.  Even doctors offices.  Where else can they get it?  I’m so sick of this and t.v. Commercials that are getting worse. Even if you tape a program and fast forward,it’s still a pain.  Can’t win.  This, the Covid, and Politics, and trapped in my own home is just too much already, especially if you live in a cold climate and can’t sit outside for fresh air.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Seems like wherever you go on line for something, they want your phone number or else they don’t go forward.  Then, they probably sell it to whoever.  Even doctors offices.  Where else can they get it?  I’m so sick of this and t.v. Commercials that are getting worse. Even if you tape a program and fast forward,it’s still a pain.  Can’t win.  This, the Covid, and Politics, and trapped in my own home is just too much already, especially if you live in a cold climate and can’t sit outside for fresh air.

I signed up for a Google Voice number a while back and have been giving that out instead of one of my real phone numbers.  Even then depending on the situation I may not give out even that number.   My homeowners association signed up for this one call system to notify us about certain things.  I’ve been hesitant to sign up for exactly the reasons you mention plus this company’s database could be hacked.  Then there are those autodialers with the robocall messages that call you over and over. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yes, this!!!! They send so many emails and I am pretty sure I tried to limit how many I receive from them and yet I still get a 2 or more a day!

Another pet peeve which is work related. A coworker who sends an email to me and immediately is at my desk even before I get the email. Like chill,I have other work to do, maybe don't come at me seconds later. Yesterday I had someone do that and we literally had to wait until the email came in, which was the longest minute ever. I just don't understand things like that, especially since they could have just forwarded this email and said they sent it to me b/c I was already working on the issue. 

• Love 4

Speaking of email...

Why is it so difficult for folks to grasp the "reply all" vs. "reply to sender" concept?  Can't count the emails I receive from people who were on a mass email, and replying to the sender, but clearly don't know how to do that.  C'mon people.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Speaking of email...

Why is it so difficult for folks to grasp the "reply all" vs. "reply to sender" concept?  Can't count the emails I receive from people who were on a mass email, and replying to the sender, but clearly don't know how to do that.  C'mon people.

I’ve told my Sister in Florida a hundred times to stop sending me stupid jokes with at least 75 names on the e mail.  I think she got offended, lol.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Speaking of email...

This is a problem at my workplace for several people. After one co-worker who doesn't usually reply all did so and accidentally shared her health news with everyone, we discovered that "reply all" is apparently the default on an iPhone. There may be a way to change it, but she was having trouble finding it if so. I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know.

I just got a robocall that said it was a second notice for the vehicle owner that the factory warranty something something (I hung up). I've received several of these lately, and it's always the second notice. I know it's a scam (somehow), but always wonder why it's always the second notice. I suppose people fall for it or they wouldn't do it, but shouldn't you notice that you never received a first notice and that if you ignore the first second notice, you just get another second notice and never a third or fourth notice? I'm putting way too much thought into it, I know. I just find it a little amusing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Seems like wherever you go on line for something, they want your phone number or else they don’t go forward.  Then, they probably sell it to whoever.  Even doctors offices.  Where else can they get it?

This is the main reason I haven't given up my landline.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

This is the main reason I haven't given up my landline.

I won't even answer my landline. If anybody wants to reach me there's email, mobile and text. All I ever get on my landline is surveys, robocalls and other bullshit. My DH insists on keeping it, so he gets to answer it. It's never anything. I laugh at him.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I won't even answer my landline. If anybody wants to reach me there's email, mobile and text. All I ever get on my landline is surveys, robocalls and other bullshit. My DH insists on keeping it, so he gets to answer it. It's never anything. I laugh at him.

I generally don't answer it, either, but it's useful to have when I'm filling out forms for places I know will sell my number.  If someone I want to talk to calls that number, I have an answering machine.  (Yes, an actual answering machine, not just voicemail.)  They can leave a message.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I generally don't answer it, either, but it's useful to have when I'm filling out forms for places I know will sell my number.  If someone I want to talk to calls that number, I have an answering machine.  (Yes, an actual answering machine, not just voicemail.)  They can leave a message.

I've kept my landline because it I trust it more that service won't be interrupted and because so many places and accounts have the number.  However I never answer it unless I recognize the caller and I let it go to voice mail.  Any important caller will leave a message.  I almost never have any messages.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I've kept my landline because it I trust it more that service won't be interrupted and because so many places and accounts have the number.  However I never answer it unless I recognize the caller and I let it go to voice mail.  Any important caller will leave a message.  I almost never have any messages.

Same. That was the final straw for me thinking I ever needed to answer it. After my mom died and my dad went into care, I just stopped because they were the only ones I cared about who ever used that number.

• Love 3

I ejected the landline back in '07 when my personal recession started.  I was an overhead slashing monster, and that was an easy $35 or so bucks.  The only complication was that our alarm system was tied into the phone line, but guess what?  Got rid of the alarm monitoring too (another $20 something) so it was moot.  We've never looked back.  Judging by the looks of our phone books the last couple of years (about 1/2" thick, tops), we're not alone.

• Love 3

We have to keep our landline because we live a quarter of mile from Canada and our service hits their towers, not USA towers.  If we dialed 911, it would be routed through to Quebec emergency which is a problem given our ages (71 & 61 both with health conditions)  But as others have said, we give out our LL number instead of our cells. 

We have xfinity and the LL can receive texts so that happens a lot.  I'm okay with any junk going to that number.  We just don't even bother answering.  The caller ID pops up on the TV if we have it on and our phone will actually announce the caller ID info if we don't have it on.  This works as the only human that actually calls us at that number other than spammers is his elderly sister & brother in law so we know when we should go ahead and answer vs. totally ignore.  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My mom almost did once too. Then she came to her senses. My dad almost got caught up in one, he was going around telling everyone that he had won five million dollars. It stopped when his bank called me telling me he was trying to withdraw ten thousand dollars he "had" to send to them to collect his money.

Good bank! Thank goodness someone was on the ball there.

21 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I worry about my parents falling for those kind of things. I’ve told both of them that they would not be my first call if I were arrested, so assume it’s a hoax. 

Same. I make sure to tell them about all the new scams and hoaxes and remind them to never say "yes" to a robo call or to anyone asking if this is "Mr so and so". My dad got a call from his grandson who was also in jail in Mexico and needed money. Problem is, I'm an only child, female (so no "surprise kids" out there), and my "kids" have 4 paws. My dad played with the guy for awhile just to entertain himself.

I also have my mom's FB password and go through and unfollow sketchy accounts and modify her advertisements on a regular basis (she knows I do this). When I was home I unsubscribed her from so many sketchy emails. I also do all their online ordering from Amazon and we (my dad and I) "forbid" my mom from ordering things she sees on FB. Now I use "forbid" in quotes because she's a grown woman with her own money and can do what she wants but she can't discern from the good stuff vs the crap so I get her to find what she wants on Amazon. Even on this site, the ad service serves up these super cute clothing ads but they are all junk.

I am so grateful that my parents are still sharp because this level of monitoring is already exhausting.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I am so grateful that my parents are still sharp because this level of monitoring is already exhausting.

Same here.  My parents are mentally very sharp (I sure hope I get those genes!) but they are also 86 and I worry that my Mom in particular will fall for those sketchy adverts on FB or emails that are scams.  I have her passwords too and go through things regularly - with her permission I hasten to add! Last time I checked I was really surprised to see names of "friends" pop up on FB that we do not know.  Blocked immediately!  I've never had that happen on my own FB account - she has macular degeneration and in the last few months her vision has really deteriorated so I can only assume she is automatically accepting friend requests because she can't quite make out the names and just figures it's ok.

4 hours ago, auntlada said:

This is a problem at my workplace for several people. After one co-worker who doesn't usually reply all did so and accidentally shared her health news with everyone, we discovered that "reply all" is apparently the default on an iPhone. There may be a way to change it, but she was having trouble finding it if so. I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know.

I just got a robocall that said it was a second notice for the vehicle owner that the factory warranty something something (I hung up). I've received several of these lately, and it's always the second notice. I know it's a scam (somehow), but always wonder why it's always the second notice. I suppose people fall for it or they wouldn't do it, but shouldn't you notice that you never received a first notice and that if you ignore the first second notice, you just get another second notice and never a third or fourth notice? I'm putting way too much thought into it, I know. I just find it a little amusing.

I get that call EVERYDAY.   I press “do not call” but they keep calling.  Now, I don’t answer the phone unless I see it’s my kids or a doctor, or friends.  If it’s important,people call back.  I’m just sorry idiscontinued “unlisted” with the phone company for a lousy few bucks.

Good bank! Thank goodness someone was on the ball there.

I was so relieved he went to that bank because he had accounts at two other ones but I had paid a visit to that particular bank because I was disputing a whole bunch of charges because I knew my dad would just whip out his credit card for anybody with a sob story. These charges were for thousands of dollars to a political party he had hated all his life and there was no way he would have done that if he was in his right mind. I'm telling you guys, if you don't have power of attorney  over your parents, get it as soon as you can. I waited to have him diagnosed until after he had signed it over to me so he was in his "right" mind at the time he signed even though me and his financial adviser knew he had gone round the bend.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I got rid of my landline over the objections of my husband, and it was several months before he even noticed 😉
(I was fine without it because we only got robocalls on it anyway)

Hmmm .. is there any disadvantage without a landline?  Do all i phones have unlimited?

10 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Hmmm .. is there any disadvantage without a landline?  Do all i phones have unlimited?

I hate talking on the phone, so make/receive maybe 10 calls a month? I doubt my use has ever gone over 5 hours a month, so I’m not a good person to ask! 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Hmmm .. is there any disadvantage without a landline?  

Some disadvantages to a landline are issues with 911 calls. You need to be sure to have your 911 address updated on your cellphone account. There is also the chance that cell service could go out but landline service would still work, though IIRC, the migration of phone lines from the old ones to new technology may have made that incorrect.

Do all i phones have unlimited?

Unlimited service has nothing to do with the type of phone you have and everything to do with the cell plan you have through your provider.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

There is also the chance that cell service could go out but landline service would still work, though IIRC, the migration of phone lines from the old ones to new technology may have made that incorrect.

We experienced this less than 18 months ago after a hurricane.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

There is also the chance that cell service could go out but landline service would still work, though IIRC, the migration of phone lines from the old ones to new technology may have made that incorrect.

The landline telephone technology doesn't go out if power goes out. It's also probably in pretty good shape if there are big cuts in the fiber networks. So your landline phone might work perfectly well when loss of power and fiber cuts disrupt cell service.  The biggest problem with using your landline phone when cell service is disrupted, is that you might be trying to call somebody's cell phone.

• Love 7