Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Outside with masks, a few feet apart, chitchat will probably be fine.  If you're uncomfortable, you are under no obligation to participate in the chitchat.

This was actually a mother and daughter at a supermarket.  The daughter was an adult, so she really didn't have to go with Mom.  Unless she was there to help translate (they were both speaking Cantonese.  The mom wasn't very elderly, but you don't know if she had other health conditions and couldn't be left alone at home while the daughter did the shopping).

• Useful 1
On 12/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, Sun-Bun said:

I’m admittedly picky about gifts and have been disappointed far more than pleased with the “thoughtful” gifts people try to surprise me with as an adult...my husband included.

My ex-husband was a useless gift-giver.  More than once he said "I thought about getting you x/y/z but didn't."  He once bought a set of little notebooks with pretty covers and said our kids and I could choose whichever one we liked best, as long as it wasn't the one he wanted.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I’m pretty picky about gifts too.  Especially if it involves chocolate.  I admit I’m a crazy health nut and prefer chocolates with ingredients I can pronounce (basically cocoa, minimal sugar (cane, maple or honey, ideally.  No sugar alcohols) and maybe some nuts or other mix-ins like matcha).  

• Love 2

I don't mind candles as a gift, except for the pine scented ones that are always available this time of year.  I really dislike those.  I was given one by my niece a few years ago, I thanked her, and then gave it to a co-worker who loves that scent.  But you have to be careful about appearing to be too enthusiastic about the gift or you'll get a pine scented candle every year for life.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

The Yankee Candle pine, balsam, etc Christmas scents are the only scented candles I like, so I stock up after Christmas.  For some reason (f*ing pandemic), they aren't available in Canada this year.  So that's a peeve.  

• Love 1
On 12/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, Silver Bells said:

I find choosing gifts very stressful .. every year.  It’s the usual pajamas, slippers, flannel shirts, sweaters that don’t fit, blah, blah.  Today is Christmas Eve and the husband just asked me “ do you like Chanel #5?  Haha, he does this every year. Last minute.  Go to CVS tonight and you will see all men scampering around for gifts.

I told the husband not to worry about buying me a gift.  He’ll see what he bought me when the bill comes from QVC and HSN.  He has bought things from Sephora tho, on the advice from my daughters.

• LOL 7
On 12/24/2020 at 9:23 AM, Silver Bells said:

I find choosing gifts very stressful .. every year.  It’s the usual pajamas, slippers, flannel shirts, sweaters that don’t fit, blah, blah.  Today is Christmas Eve and the husband just asked me “ do you like Chanel #5?  Haha, he does this every year. Last minute.  Go to CVS tonight and you will see all men scampering around for gifts.

my best friend  asked back in the summer do I shop@ Amazon and if so please send me a wish list and she did the same with me and I just pick something off her list and get it for her. I gave her the French rolling pin set, because she bakes  a lot 

• Love 4

There seem to be new flavor of clickbait headline I'm particularly peeved by the past couple of weeks: alarmist recall headlines.

Now let me be clear I am not anti-recall and understand the seriousness of this stuff. My beef is with the headline, not the recall itself. I've encountered at least three headlines recently that said merely "if this is in your pantry/fridge/shelf throw it away immediately", only to go on and read the actual article that specifies the items were recalled for undeclared allergens. So packaging says it only contains almonds, and no pecans, but actually there might be some pecans in there, or it says it was nut-free but may actually be contaminated with nuts, or soy free and may be contaminated with soy.

While I absolutely understand the severity of this contamination to people with those allergies, even the bodies of the articles say "if you're not allergic to whatever undeclared allergen they found you don't need to toss it." AND YET THE HEADLINE DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS THAT.

• Love 7

I hate clickbait items on general principles, but even more rage-inducing are the ones that presume to tell you that if you are over a certain age, then certain items should not be part of your wardrobe or, in the case of furniture and so forth, not be in your house at all. I’ve quit looking at those, primarily because I don’t give a flying fuck if someone thinks I’m too old to wear clothes I find comfortable or if someone thinks I should get rid of a useful household item. 
For home decor in general, the trend of gray floors, gray furniture, and gray walls all combined is never going to be my cup of tea, no matter how many interior decorators try to convince me that it’s the best thing ever. I have certain colors and styles I like. Yes, next time around I need to use the gold tablecloth instead of the burgundy tablecloth with the burgundy dining room walls, but I would rather have burgundy overkill than gray everything. 

19C4AED8-08DB-4508-BBFF-1F9416C97B12.jpeg

• Love 12
2 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I hate clickbait items on general principles, but even more rage-inducing are the ones that presume to tell you that if you are over a certain age, then certain items should not be part of your wardrobe or, in the case of furniture and so forth, not be in your house at all. I’ve quit looking at those, primarily because I don’t give a flying fuck if someone thinks I’m too old to wear clothes I find comfortable or if someone thinks I should get rid of a useful household item. 
For home decor in general, the trend of gray floors, gray furniture, and gray walls all combined is never going to be my cup of tea, no matter how many interior decorators try to convince me that it’s the best thing ever. I have certain colors and styles I like. Yes, next time around I need to use the gold tablecloth instead of the burgundy tablecloth with the burgundy dining room walls, but I would rather have burgundy overkill than gray everything. 

This is exactly what I miss the most.  A beautifully set table.  My kids are grown and married, and now my daughters do the cooking in their house.  I miss my tablecloths, my dishes, my candles, everything.  My whole house is mostly burgundy and mauve and I never tire of it.  This year with the Covid, I set my table up with the whole shebang.  It actually gave me a lift.  I love the chandelier.  Bethenny Frankels apartment in the city is all white and grey marble throughout.  Everything very plain and sterile looking.  I hate it.  This is gorgeous and timeless.

• Love 6
On 12/12/2020 at 11:40 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yes I've just come to accept I'm the old man now bitching about these young whippersnappers.    So be it

Promposals are annoying and stupid. 

Gender reveal parties.     Just stop. 

Pretty much anything on tik tok.  Go away.  

Quoting myself here to add I finally read the lyrics the WAP .....and figured out what that stands for. 

I'm by no means a prude.....but no, shut it down. That song is disgusting so sayeth the grumpy old man. 

• Love 4
On 12/14/2020 at 8:56 AM, BexKeps said:

And this is a current pet peeve of mine, I am 53, I have 2 daughters that are 30 & 26, my oldest is married, my youngest is in a relationship. Both my daughters told me that they are not really interested in having children. I have no problem with this and would never dream of 'demanding' a grandchild yet I have friends and coworkers who constantly ask me "aren't you sad you'll never have grandchildren?" Um, no. I am happy that my daughters don't feel compelled to give birth just to make my life complete

I am 10 years older than you, with 2 grown sons. And I am asked this a lot, mostly by my sister and sister-in-law.  Don't I want grandchildren?  Um, it's not my choice to have them or not. I'm not going to push my unmarried sons to go knock some girl up because I want grandkids!  Meanwhile, I'm happy with one grand-kitty and one grand-dog.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Oh boy, I'm feeling quite curmudgeonly today. I'm really unhappy with my new physical therapy practice. It started out fine two weeks ago, but the last two times I've gone, the therapists are chitchatting with each other and sometimes with a patient. And they all have loud, sharp voices. 

I noticed a difference last year when I had PT, compared to many years ago.  The same thing you're talking about. Gossipy, loud, unprofessional people. I mentioned it to my brother-in-law who is a PT in another state. He said that the profession is changing due to changes in insurance rules. In a lot of practices there are only a few actual physical therapists, who supervise the PT technicians. The technicians do the work that the PTs used to do. I'm sure some are very good, but it seemed to me that the level of professionalism is not what it used to be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, theatremouse said:

There seem to be new flavor of clickbait headline I'm particularly peeved by the past couple of weeks: alarmist recall headlines.

Now let me be clear I am not anti-recall and understand the seriousness of this stuff. My beef is with the headline, not the recall itself. I've encountered at least three headlines recently that said merely "if this is in your pantry/fridge/shelf throw it away immediately", only to go on and read the actual article that specifies the items were recalled for undeclared allergens. So packaging says it only contains almonds, and no pecans, but actually there might be some pecans in there, or it says it was nut-free but may actually be contaminated with nuts, or soy free and may be contaminated with soy.

While I absolutely understand the severity of this contamination to people with those allergies, even the bodies of the articles say "if you're not allergic to whatever undeclared allergen they found you don't need to toss it." AND YET THE HEADLINE DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS THAT.

Yes! I keep clicking on those, worried about a headline that says, "if you bought this item at trader Joe's,  throw it out immediately!"  Hell yeah I'm going to click and read, I dont want to die!   And then its some item that was not properly labeled that it had gluten.

• Love 2
On 12/28/2020 at 1:25 AM, Quof said:

The Yankee Candle pine, balsam, etc Christmas scents are the only scented candles I like, so I stock up after Christmas.  For some reason (f*ing pandemic), they aren't available in Canada this year.  So that's a peeve.  

I love yankee candle sparkling snow, and balsam and cedar.  They are lovely scents.

I hate most of the Christmas scented RED candles from YC. Most contain some spice they call cinnamon,  but its not like baking cinnamon,  its like the red hot candy, sharp and burning. These candles make my nose run and my eyes water, I dont even have to light them. 

My sister once came to my house with a birthday gift basket of spicy cinnamon scented potpourri and candles. Once she left, I had to put it outside in the trash, I couldn't have it in the house. ( I kept the basket)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok I'm in a rage over this one because someone I know is hawking the benefits of it: WHY DO PEOPLE BUY YONI EGGS AND CRYSTAL YONI WANDS? Why does anyone want a rock up their vagina??? Help me out here.

Simple. Because Gwyneth Paltrow told them to. And charged them a fortune.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I noticed a difference last year when I had PT, compared to many years ago.  The same thing you're talking about. Gossipy, loud, unprofessional people. I mentioned it to my brother-in-law who is a PT in another state. He said that the profession is changing due to changes in insurance rules. In a lot of practices there are only a few actual physical therapists, who supervise the PT technicians. The technicians do the work that the PTs used to do. I'm sure some are very good, but it seemed to me that the level of professionalism is not what it used to be.

I’ll never go to PT again.  They were nice and attentive the first time I went .. then they don’t want to know you.  One young one pressed down on my good hip very hard and a few months later, I needed another hip replacement because of that.  Another one in a different place pressed on my back and it felt so good I asked him to do it again the next time I went and he said “no”.  Never went back.  From then on I did the excercizes they gave me from the hospital holding onto the kitchen sink.  Btw, they all were blabbing with each other too.  A good massage is the best.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

This is exactly what I miss the most.  A beautifully set table.  My kids are grown and married, and now my daughters do the cooking in their house.  I miss my tablecloths, my dishes, my candles, everything.  My whole house is mostly burgundy and mauve and I never tire of it.  This year with the Covid, I set my table up with the whole shebang.  It actually gave me a lift.  I love the chandelier.  Bethenny Frankels apartment in the city is all white and grey marble throughout.  Everything very plain and sterile looking.  I hate it.  This is gorgeous and timeless.

Thank you. For major holidays, I often have this internal debate about using my regular dishes that can go in the dishwasher versus the “good” china, but then I figure what’s the point of having good china if I never use it. Sure, there’s a little more effort involved when washing the dishes by hand later, but that’s a minor inconvenience. 

Last Christmas my mother was literally on her deathbed, and we just got takeout. This year it felt important to resume the traditional family dinner and decorations. It was the people who live with me (daughter, sister, BIL, & nephew) plus my son, DIL, and grandson who live a couple of blocks from me and are already part of our bubble. I feel strongly that one big responsibility as a parent/grandparent is to create good memories, and holiday dinners are part of that. However, if it had been just me, I would have also set the table and enjoyed it. It’s just as important to do nice things for ourselves as it is for family and friends. My own dinner preferences are slightly different from how my parents did things; I put all the food on a separate table buffet style rather than everything on the dining table, but it’s my tradition now. Especially after how crazy this year has been, it felt great to have a normal celebration. 

8467F6C1-1E23-4F13-8854-E61749654E6C.jpeg

325A9053-E137-416D-ADE9-BE57498E10B0.jpeg

Edited by BookWoman56
Added photo of decorated tree.
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Thank you. For major holidays, I often have this internal debate about using my regular dishes that can go in the dishwasher versus the “good” china, but then I figure what’s the point of having good china if I never use it. Sure, there’s a little more effort involved when washing the dishes by hand later, but that’s a minor inconvenience. 

Last Christmas my mother was literally on her deathbed, and we just got takeout. This year it felt important to resume the traditional family dinner and decorations. It was the people who live with me (daughter, sister, BIL, & nephew) plus my son, DIL, and grandson who live a couple of blocks from me and are already part of our bubble. I feel strongly that one big responsibility as a parent/grandparent is to create good memories, and holiday dinners are part of that. However, if it had been just me, I would have also set the table and enjoyed it. It’s just as important to do nice things for ourselves as it is for family and friends. My own dinner preferences are slightly different from how my parents did things; I put all the food on a separate table buffet style rather than everything on the dining table, but it’s my tradition now. Especially after how crazy this year has been, it felt great to have a normal celebration. 

OMG .. Everything is beautiful.  Show more if you can.  I love seeing all this.  You just made me sick.  I gave all my dark furniture away when we moved to Florida for a year and a half, then came back to N.Y.  I thought they used the light colored cane furniture, so bought light furniture down there.  I miss my dark.  It’s very rich looking.  What a feast!  I always made the fish and linguini with clam sauce for company on Christmas Eve as my husband is Italian, then on Christmas Day, I made a ham and Turkey for my family, and my sister and family came for the week from Connecticut.  Now, everything is different, especially this year with the Covid situation. We all stood home as the older kids are carriers from school.  Rats!   Thanks for posting the pictures.  So enjoyable.  I would, but I don’t know how to transfer phone to I pad.  I always have to have a grandchild to show me how things work.  🎉🍹🎊  Happy New Year everyone, and a better one. ❤️

• Love 3
17 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Living on the water in Seattle killed any chance I'd ever want anything grey in my house, ever. In the winter we've got grey water, grey sky everything is plenty grey. Give me highly saturated COLOR!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Living on the water in Seattle killed any chance I'd ever want anything grey in my house, ever. In the winter we've got grey water, grey sky everything is plenty grey. Give me highly saturated COLOR!

27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

From what I see, Seattle is beautiful.  They also film a lot there I see.  I think they filmed “Virgin River” on Netflix there?  I think.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

From what I see, Seattle is beautiful.  They also film a lot there I see.  I think they filmed “Virgin River” on Netflix there?  I think.

That's in the summer. From Oct. to March it's rain, rain, rain. Good thing I'm very fond of rain. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Do I spy Sweet Potato Casserole next to the candy dish?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Do I spy Sweet Potato Casserole next to the candy dish?

Yes, my sister made it this year, using my mother’s recipe with pecans and brown sugar on top. It’s a little sweet for me, so I treat it as a dessert. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Yes, my sister made it this year, using my mother’s recipe with pecans and brown sugar on top. It’s a little sweet for me, so I treat it as a dessert. 

That's my favorite and I eat it like dessert as well!

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Two "American" food items I've read about all my life are green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole with marshmallows.  Some Cdn thanksgiving I'm determined to try my hand at them if only to say I've finally had them!

I (American) have never had either one, as I don't like green beans or sweet potatoes (I'm not fond of marshmallows, but I don't actively dislike them as I do the other two). 

A friend of mine is British, but has lived here nearly 50 years; she still shudders at mere mention of green bean casserole, even though she only had it once (about 15-20 years ago; I was there for the initial OMG, what the hell did I eat? story after dinner with the family of her son's then-girlfriend, and it was epic).  She likes green beans, so they must have made a bad batch for her to be so appalled by it - no matter how good a cook (and she is indeed), no one could find canned soup and onions that offensive!

My Mother made from scratch, perogies, stuffed cabbage, loaves of bread, jelly donuts, beet, potato  and sauerkraut soup and honey cake to knocks your socks off.  A plain but fabulous cook.  Why oh why did I not write the recipes down from my heritage?  I looked on Martha Stewart’s site, but she makes these dishes different.  I am so sorry I didn’t write those down.  Too late.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

It’s just as important to do nice things for ourselves as it is for family and friends.

Something my therapist has been trying to drill into me for years.

So, I decided for Christmas I would treat myself to delivery from a great Italian restaurant here.  They forgot to send the dessert.  And it was one of my favorites - German Chocolate cake.

I got a refund, but, still peeved about it.  I was really looking forward to that cake too. 

28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I (American) have never had either one, as I don't like green beans or sweet potatoes (I'm not fond of marshmallows, but I don't actively dislike them as I do the other two). 

A friend of mine is British, but has lived here nearly 50 years; she still shudders at mere mention of green bean casserole, even though she only had it once (about 15-20 years ago; I was there for the initial OMG, what the hell did I eat? story after dinner with the family of her son's then-girlfriend, and it was epic).  She likes green beans, so they must have made a bad batch for her to be so appalled by it - no matter how good a cook (and she is indeed), no one could find canned soup and onions that offensive!

I like sweet potatoes, but not marshmallows, so they do not go into any sweet potato casserole in my house!  Did this one for Christmas, if you're inclined to try the sweet potato without the marshmallow nonsense.  Hint - I would suggest cutting, if not all but eliminating the white sugar from the recipe.  To me, it isn't needed.  Nuther hint - if you wish to skip the prep work with the fresh potatoes, you can use the canned yams.  I used one lg. (40oz) and one sm. (15-16oz?) can, drained.  Worked just fine. 

allrecipes.com/recipe/15633/gourmet-sweet-potato-classic

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I like sweet potatoes, but not marshmallows, so they do not go into any sweet potato casserole in my house!  Did this one for Christmas, if you're inclined to try the sweet potato without the marshmallow nonsense.  Hint - I would suggest cutting, if not all but eliminating the white sugar from the recipe.  To me, it isn't needed.  Nuther hint - if you wish to skip the prep work with the fresh potatoes, you can use the canned yams.  I used one lg. (40oz) and one sm. (15-16oz?) can, drained.  Worked just fine. 

That’s good to know.  I can barely cut those sweet potatoes for fear of chopping my fingers off.  Very accident prone lately.   Lots of interesting things today.  Decorating, cooking, etc.  Is there a special thread for all this ?  There should be.  

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

And it was one of my favorites - German Chocolate cake.

I got a refund, but, still peeved about it.  I was really looking forward to that cake too. 

That's a hanging offence.   A friend normally brings me German Chocolate cake on my birthday (long story behind it). This year, she just didn't.   I looked forward to it all day, and ... nothing. It's not like I could call and say "Hey, where's my cake?"

33 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

That’s good to know.  I can barely cut those sweet potatoes for fear of chopping my fingers off.  Very accident prone lately.   Lots of interesting things today.  Decorating, cooking, etc.  Is there a special thread for all this ?  There should be.  

Check the food forums for holiday food, baking and more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Cosign all of this. I make roasted sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie. No marshmallows.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Cosign all of this. I make roasted sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie. No marshmallows.

About twice a week, I just bake giant sweet potatoes in my big toaster oven at 400 degrees for 70 minutes.  Cut in half and put butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on.  I hate peeling potatoes.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Yes, they're very hard!  I use them, but sometimes when it's a busy meal prep, the shortcuts are welcome!

Yes, I guess I hijacked the thread, sorry.  I guess Chit Chat would be a better place.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes, they're very hard!  I use them, but sometimes when it's a busy meal prep, the shortcuts are welcome!

I’m going to try the canned ones.  To bake, what do I put on?  There are so many variations.  My mother in law used to put butter and maple syrup on, then bake them.  They were sticky, and that’s what I liked about them.