Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

It seems to me that Lauren has a hard time completing a thought or a sentence  Previously I thought it was due to being on the show with someone who had just 'died.'  However, last night's episode surprised me as she would start to answer and then just go in a totally different direction.  I really wish Chris had asked Robin where he thinks hippie Sam went instead of trying to meet up with Carol and Rick after the girl was killed by zombies.  That mystery has been bothering me a lot (I know...I should get a life...).  Especially as he made it out of that situation alive.

• Love 3

I really wish Chris had asked Robin where he thinks hippie Sam went instead of trying to meet up with Carol and Rick after the girl was killed by zombies.

I assume he was probably picked up like Beth was around that time. There is only a little over a week between the Carol banishment episode and season 5 (Glenn almost dying happened that day + walkers int he yard that night, then I think the prison fell two days later, plus the week going to Terminus, according to this timeline). Either that, or he was caught up in one of the houses and then wandered off only to get picked up. 

I feel for Lauren because I talk similarly to how she does. I need to fully think out what I'm saying before I say it which causes people frustration because I hesitate. I can only imagine it being worse when you're on a talk show, constantly worried about spoiling something. 

Hardwick was in full annoying-form last night. Not sure if he's just getting back into it after the long break, but something was a little too overactive. Maybe it's that he can't separate himself from his @Midnight persona (where he's allowed to be a bit more crass and jokey) and TD when he needs to take a breath and chill out. 

• Love 3

It seems to me that Lauren has a hard time completing a thought or a sentence  Previously I thought it was due to being on the show with someone who had just 'died.'  However, last night's episode surprised me as she would start to answer and then just go in a totally different direction.  I really wish Chris had asked Robin where he thinks hippie Sam went instead of trying to meet up with Carol and Rick after the girl was killed by zombies.  That mystery has been bothering me a lot (I know...I should get a life...).  Especially as he made it out of that situation alive.

Me too!  Even though Hippy Sam and his girlfriend only had one episode, and then one episode of him getting whacked at the trough, I just always loved those characters.  Like I love them way more than The Walking Comics Tara, Rosita, Eugene, and Big Red, and they were only on the show for probably a total of 20 minutes?

• Love 2

Interesting Portia, I have the opposite reaction - I think she's thoughtful and she has a good sense of humor too.  Poor Cobblepot, though obviously a fan and excited to be there, didn't have a lot to do.

I really wish Chris had asked Robin where he thinks hippie Sam went instead of trying to meet up with Carol and Rick after the girl was killed by zombies.  

Ooh, would have been a good question and a good way to get him more involved in the discussion.

Edited by raven
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed his enthusiasm for the show; he came across as a big fan.  I enjoyed his willingness to return as a Walker, crispy or otherwise.  I'm sure it has its share of workplace issues and stresses, but The Walking Dead seems like a show people love working on.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed his enthusiasm for the show; he came across as a big fan.  I enjoyed his willingness to return as a Walker, crispy or otherwise.  I'm sure it has its share of workplace issues and stresses, but The Walking Dead seems like a show people love working on.

I just wish he didn't think the audience's applause was for him, smiling and waving at them while the other two guests were applauding each other.  He figured it out after a while, but it was cause for pause...

I find myself wandering in and out of the room during this show more and more. I don't care about the trivia and I don't care about the tweets. I feel like they're dragging 20 minutes of content out lately.

Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim (both hit-or-miss and acquired tastes) have a Bedtime Stories ep that I didn't even realize at the time is a total Talking Dead parody. Not sure if that was the intended target, but it's all I think of with every freakin' Subway Fresh Twitter fan hashtag interactive poll bullshit moment. (Hope that link works - first time trying!)

I had no previous exposure to him, but loved Seth Gilliam on TD. At first it felt like the energy between him and LC was frosty, but his method acting story about separate living arrangements totally explained it. He had some of the most thoughtful and interesting answers I've seen on this show. And his brief little imitation of Andy Lincoln during the apartment-in-town anecdote was perfect - I could totally see AL saying it just like that. Just as happened with Josh McDermitt's excellent TD appearance, it's inspired me to now have much more of an interest in a previously-meh character, Father Pee Pants.

• Love 4
Interesting Portia, I have the opposite reaction - I think she's thoughtful and she has a good sense of humor too.  Poor Cobblepot, though obviously a fan and excited to be there, didn't have a lot to do.

I thought he did.  He got his time and opinions out there.  I like having someone on the show that isn't a cast member.  Then, they can answer CH's what if questions whereas the cast is constrained.

Edited by Jordan27

That's how I've always taken Michonne's arc: she was shut down in the beginning, and after the prison fell she was reborn.

Damn, Hardwick needs to lose that almost-beard. LOL @ the "glimmer of hope", just what you guys were saying in the thread.

Agreed! Looks like he's fifteen and proud of his first facial hair.

• Love 1

Look in the dictionary under the word 'amazing' and you'll see a picture of Danai Gurira. I love her passion and commitment to the show and her character. She just lights up the room and keeps Hardwick in line.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 9

Yeah, every time I see Danai on this show or read an interview with her, my girlcrush gets solidified. Judging by how insightful she always is, I'd bet her plays are great.

I liked Paul Fieg (?). He knew the show well and had good energy and played off the conversation well.

And once again I fell asleep right before the sneak peak for next week. It's like Hardwick mentions that it's coming right up and I go unconscious.

• Love 4

This is the first time I've seen DG on TD and, damn, she's gorgeous and so wonderfully insightful. She commanded the entire hour and I just loved her break down of Michonne and the Michonne/Rick relationship. AL's explanation of the Richonne friendship was also spot on. As was the wonderful things he said about Aaron and Eric's relationship. Last week's show was a bit awkward but this week's and the one with Chad Coleman have been excellent.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 1

This is the first time I've seen DG on TD and, damn, she's gorgeous and so wonderfully insightful. She commanded the entire hour and I just loved her break down of Michonne and the Michonne/Rick relationship.

This is the first time I didn't fast-forward past most of her appearance -- the first time she was on, she seemed a little too much in love with her own voice.  This time she was great.

• Love 2

Thank goodness Hardwick used a spoon and did not put his fingers in the applesauce. :)

I like that he asked the audience member if he had allergies to applesauce before shoving it in his mouth. As someone with food allergies, I cringe every time Chris demands that the guest open his mouth and eat.

• Love 1

They never let Michonne speak that much so when Danai spoke it was kinda fun to actually hear her and be enthused. Michonne has to be so stoic all the time. Not sure why CH pronunciation of Richonne bothered me, he made it Rick-shone thus emplying emphasis on Rick which is an idiotic nitpick, I know. 

I would have all kinds of trouble with applesauce. bleck

• Love 3

A few random thoughts.

I could have done without the worm eating.

I don't think they addressed the criticisms of how Maggie reacted to the kidnapping of Beth at all well.  IMO, Hardwick came off as more than a bit of a douche and an asshat when discussing it.  People weren't talking crap about Maggie, they were questioning why she was acting like a jerk.  I don't think Lauren's explanations/excuse making helped any.  If anything, I think they both came off as a couple of whiners and more than a bit hypersensitive.  They should have just said that viewers had a right to be ticked off at the Maggie character for coming off as an uncaring jerk. 

I saw plenty of people crap-talking Maggie - I can't count how many times I saw people call her a b**** and a slut and say they hated her now, and all she cared about was dick. That godawful attention whore Barrowman sat on that very same couch and trashed Maggie.

I thought she handled the whole thing graciously considering she's not a writer on the show and she had to deal with what they gave her. I'm glad they just had her briefly address the criticism and talk about how she was glad to finally get a chance to play Maggie's grief, and briefly try to explain how Maggie had felt. The truth is (to me anyway) that it was shitty writing, but she's not going to say that, as she wants to keep her job.

I'm always happy when this show avoids too much talk about fan reaction. I've had enough of that with the many Talking Dead episodes involving Daryl's penis. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5

The applesauce shtick gave new meaning to the word awkward.

Danai is a class act.  You can really tell she has a passion for her character, and she gave awesome insight into how Michonne was processing information during the show.

The whole no kids thing - well I'd assume they were outside playing and when the strangers showed up at the gate their parents made them go inside.  Any parent worth their salt would do that. 

• Love 4

No parents, other adults, looky-loos, etc. getting a glimpse of the fresh meat (sorry, wrong Utopia), or even there providing back-up for the one-guy-welcoming-party, though?

It's curious how loud the kids/tape recordings were right by the door (especially since Eric understood the need for Judith to be where she wouldn't alert the roamers). Why don't they have to constantly kill straggling walkers/roamers, like both the prison and Woodberry had to, who are attracted to the sounds? 

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

No parents, other adults, looky-loos, etc. getting a glimpse of the fresh meat (sorry, wrong Utopia), or even there providing back-up for the one-guy-welcoming-party, though?

It's curious how loud the kids/tape recordings were right by the door (especially since Eric understood the need for Judith to be where she wouldn't alert the roamers). Why don't they have to constantly kill straggling walkers/roamers, like both the prison and Woodberry had to, who are attracted to the sounds? 

I'm imagining house after house of people peeking around the edges of drawn curtains.

If I saw that filthy group coming, I'd hide inside.  If I saw Rick's beard hauling down Main Street, I'd want a wall between me and him and I'd be trying to stop my kids from crying at the bear man monster.  (In all seriousness, though, if the people inside the compound have been there a while, they may have forgotten how bad things were out there, and the newcomers might look kinda scary to them.)

• Love 3

It seems like from Eric's surveillance equipment, and well-rehearsed sales pitch, complete with brochures and customer testimonials, that they may do this often. CDB can't be the first dirty group. All I know is that sneak peak made me even more suspicious of this place!

I also found it interesting how fast Danai said Michonne would pick this group over a community. It seems like she had thought about it...maybe because she's already filmed a scene where she chooses the ones who didn't get accepted and have to leave. (Sorry, I know his is spec., but it requires seeing Talking Dead.)

Edited by morgankobi

I haven't bothered to watch the newer TWD or TD yet, as I just finished the last TD yesterday. I wanted someone to put Chris Hardwick in the corner until he calmed down. That sugar high hysteria he was on, especially in the last half of the show, got on my last nerve. By the end he was squealing like a mouse. Why? Why? Lauren Cohan seemed to try to adapt and joke around, but Seth Gilliam had my reaction of just not knowing how to react at all.

I really appreciated Seth's responses to the questions and to the general derision toward his character. You can see how much work he has put into the role. I have a lot of respect for him.

The guy who played the hippie - I'd expected him to be desperate for attention and be annoying, but he was laid-back and fun.

• Love 1

What is up with this appalling new trend of them allowing women to wear pants? I am deeply offended. Until recently, "Talking Dead" was a show that I could rely on to, if nothing else, follow the Fox news/ Original Star Trek/ Xena: Warrior Princess rule that, if you've got legs, you show 'em. And Alanna Masterson, based on what she's shown previously on that couch, has the best legs on the entire cast. And it's not exactly a cast of fuggos. "Talking Dead" is supposed to be the hour where they make it up to me for looking at Abraham in a child-sized wife beater, god damn it.

• Love 1