Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

Nothing was sadder than Sophia coming out of that barn. Death of hope, right there.

What was sad here is that after the hospital arc was said and done, they have a wounded Carol and added a wounded Noah. Not much of a net-gain, I'm afraid.

• Love 8

While I don't blame Emily for tearing up, I blame Hardwick and the show for keeping it going. Why keep asking her questions about how sad her last days were, about when she knew, etc. when it's obviously upsetting her more and more and she obviously can't handle them? Why not cut away to someone else and let her compose herself?

I do think that a professional should be able to get hold of his of herself after a moment. Actors experience really sad things, way sadder than this, every day and then go on and perform. Press for the show is part of the performance.

But again, I felt like the plan for the show was to wring every single drop of drama and angst out of the situation, right off the bat with Hardwick saying something about the episode being the saddest one ever. I think that they felt that all the drama would placate Emily's fans by showing how super sad it made TPTB too, and that maybe it would appeal to some viewers.

Most of those questions are basic questions the actors get when they're done with the show. I don't think TPTB were trying to exploit her pain - I think they just had no idea she was as emotional as she was. Presumably that's why she wasn't on in the first half, as she had to pull herself together.  

The optics were terrible for the show - fans of Beth who were already angry over the show killing her off were not met with an actress who was sad but had her chin up, ready to move on to a brighter future. Instead, they saw an actress who was clearly devastated and hadn't wanted to go. Instead of it seeming like just another actor leaving, it may seem more malicious, or cruel (not helped by Kinney suggesting Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus didn't know she was going until close to the end, which TPTB deny).

They just shouldn't have made her come on if she wasn't up to it.

Not a fan of Kirkman's appearances either. I don't think that he adds anything to the proceedings. Give me Yvette, CM Punk and other competent celebrity fans or the actors.

I don't think he's always terrible, but he's just smarmy TV. I keep expecting him to do a Beavis and Butthead chuckle. 

I think Scott Gimple can be very droll now that he's used to the format, and Gale Anne Hurd can also be fine, when she isn't too overly rehearsed in talking points. 

I was glad to not have too many celebrity panelists on this one, but the mix just didn't work.

I guess I should be grateful the panel didn't go on about Carol's hand being on Daryl's shoulder and how this means Caryl forever, or how Beth and Daryl were going to marry and have adorable children named Merle, Patricia, Otis, Shawn, Annette, Hershel, Little Daryl, Darylina, and Bethany. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 7

I love Keegan-Michael Key. Great to have him on.

So that must have been the guy on the far left -- I have no idea who is he, and he WOULD NOT SHUT UP. 

I want to hear from people related to the show, not someone who wants to grab all the limelight.

• Love 1
I think they just had no idea she was as emotional as she was.

I don't think she knew how emotional she was, I don't think they didn't have her out there from the beginning because she was too emotional when she came out she was fine, I think they just wanted to talk about other parts of the episode first and the other times she has been on she hasn't really had much to say. It would make sense that it was finally hitting her because she know longer had to keep it a secret for a bunch of people and so a lot of those emotions were bottled up and overwhelmed her when she could release them in front of other people. 

• Love 4

So that must have been the guy on the far left -- I have no idea who is he, and he WOULD NOT SHUT UP. 

I want to hear from people related to the show, not someone who wants to grab all the limelight.

I prefer a guest viewer like him who seems to actually watch the show than some that don't know anything.

• Love 4

She was such a blubbering mess that she couldn't come out as early as they wanted her to.  They had to wait for her to compose herself backstage.

She hasn't been an actress, as long as most of the others have been working, and she was with them for almost four years. She couldn't put a fake smile on her face, after losing what has been her life for so long. I don't fault her for that. I've seen comments from other actors that are no longer alive on the show, who don't watch it at all, now that they aren't a part of it.

It was interesting in that it was real and was an actual answer to a question.

Yes - I found it refreshing.

• Love 3

Saddest one ever?    Merle being put down by Daryl was pretty damn sad.  And Merle was an asshole.   It was abrupt and shocking, in a very cynical, Tarantino- esque  way.    The Beth death, that is.

Nothing was sadder than Sophia coming out of that barn. Death of hope, right there.

What was sad here is that after the hospital arc was said and done, they have a wounded Carol and added a wounded Noah. Not much of a net-gain, I'm afraid.

I think the difference in both these cases was not only did we care about these characters, we cared about how their deaths effected others in the group. We saw Carol become distraught and then shut down over Sophia. We saw Rick's guilt at leaving her & Darryl's desperate ongoing search for her. Same thing with Merle. We saw Darryl lose it when Merle was left on the roof, his conflict with leaving with Merle then asking for him to stay at the prison. In both cases not only did we hear the charachters express those concerns, we saw the actions driven by those concerns.

Then we had Beth. Some of us liked her, some of us didn't. However other than Darryl there was very little indication she was missed. As a viewer I wasn't infested in her. As others have mentioned mourning her death wasn't earned. I felt like I was supposed to be sad, but I wasn't

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3

She's 29, not a teenager even though she acts like one.  She's had other jobs and she has seen other Walking Dead actors leave the show on short notice.  She knew the drill. She had to get rid of her apartment while working?  Big whoop, so have thousands of other Americans every day and they don't have the money and resources she does.  Laurie Holden wasn't told until right before her episode that Andrea was dead.  Same with IronE and Rooker and everyone else.  Merle's death was a last minute change so Rooker didn't know until right before.  Scott Wilson knew ahead of time because he figured it out reading the script and he asked Gimple.  Scott had just bought a house the week before.

In light of her creepy and inappropriate behavior in other venues, her sobfest on TTD was cringeworthy.  At San Diego Comic Con she draped herself all over Norman to the point where other cast members were giving her dirty looks and Norman finally had to tell her to get her hands off of him.  He has a girlfriend so it was additionally disrespectful to both Norman and his gf.  In the TV Line interview she's (sobbing) saying the producers lied about contacting the other actors about her death.  Not to mention her continued trolling of a romantic relationship between Beth and Daryl that Gimple publicly said last year was never even being considered.  Emily does have some growing up she needs to do.   

• Love 9

Wow.  That was bad.

So. . .like, you say that douchenozzle is like. . .y'know. . .a . . .you know. . . writer? 

Because I wouldn't have pegged him for a wordsmith.

I like Key, usually, but his acerbic wit was severely muzzled by the funereal tone of the Beth wake.  Wrong guest for this episode.

And Emily, damn.  Your emotional struggle made me feel sorry for you, which I didn't want to do because I didn't like your wide-eyed baby panda character at all. 

But she hasn't shot an episode with any of the other regular cast members for eons so I'm thinking she's been kind of peripheral to all that "close-knit family" action for quite awhile.  I'm going to speculate that she built a happy life for herself in Georgia, where she enjoyed some fame and recognition, and it's overwhelming and scary to go back to back to LA and be an out-of-work actress again.  I get that.  Good luck, baby panda.  Don't sing.

• Love 6

In light of her creepy and inappropriate behavior in other venues, her sobfest on TTD was cringeworthy.  At San Diego Comic Con she draped herself all over Norman to the point where other cast members were giving her dirty looks and Norman finally had to tell her to get her hands off of him.  He has a girlfriend so it was additionally disrespectful to both Norman and his gf.  In the TV Line interview she's (sobbing) saying the producers lied about contacting the other actors about her death.  Not to mention her continued trolling of a romantic relationship between Beth and Daryl that Gimple publicly said last year was never even being considered.  Emily does have some growing up she needs to do.   

So the sadness from others, regarding her exit, is all fake? Norman Reedus saying that he woke up feeling depressed, even though it wasn't filmed recently?

She's 29, not a teenager even though she acts like one.  She's had other jobs and she has seen other Walking Dead actors leave the show on short notice.  She knew the drill. She had to get rid of her apartment while working?  Big whoop, so have thousands of other Americans every day and they don't have the money and resources she does.  Laurie Holden wasn't told until right before her episode that Andrea was dead.  Same with IronE and Rooker and everyone else.  Merle's death was a last minute change so Rooker didn't know until right before.  Scott Wilson knew ahead of time because he figured it out reading the script and he asked Gimple.  Scott had just bought a house the week before.

Not everyone deals with things in exactly the same way, which is why the "Beth" character was such a necessary element in the show. People in the acting profession have been known to be particularly prone to emoting in public. I wasn't aware of Emily Kinney's age (I don't follow these folks outside of the show environs, and even TD is usually something I skip, because it either spoils things or fills in blanks that shouldn't be there in a quality script in the first place.), but I've witnessed older folk than 29 devastated over trivial things. Loss of income and uprooting are two things that might cause me to melt down, and I'm well over 30.

To that point, there might also be a cut off age to taking everything a celebrity says in public as gospel.

• Love 3

She's 29, not a teenager even though she acts like one. She's had other jobs and she has seen other Walking Dead actors leave the show on short notice. She knew the drill. She had to get rid of her apartment while working? Big whoop, so have thousands of other Americans every day and they don't have the money and resources she does. Laurie Holden wasn't told until right before her episode that Andrea was dead. Same with IronE and Rooker and everyone else. Merle's death was a last minute change so Rooker didn't know until right before. Scott Wilson knew ahead of time because he figured it out reading the script and he asked Gimple. Scott had just bought a house the week before.

In light of her creepy and inappropriate behavior in other venues, her sobfest on TTD was cringeworthy. At San Diego Comic Con she draped herself all over Norman to the point where other cast members were giving her dirty looks and Norman finally had to tell her to get her hands off of him. He has a girlfriend so it was additionally disrespectful to both Norman and his gf. In the TV Line interview she's (sobbing) saying the producers lied about contacting the other actors about her death. Not to mention her continued trolling of a romantic relationship between Beth and Daryl that Gimple publicly said last year was never even being considered. Emily does have some growing up she needs to do.

1) There is more than one interview with Norman Reedus stating he is single at SDCC so I think "girlfriend" is a very strong word for that relationship.

2) I would be curious to see where you see NR asking EK to stop at SDCC . I've seen that proposed as a theory but never seen actual proof. Ive seen people who have analyzed every eyebrow twitch of that interaction not see that so Im curious about your sources.

3. NR went out of his way to attend EK performance at Eddies Attic so I think they're more than good.

4 SDCC was well before the finale was shot for all EK or NR knew Beth and Daryl would reunite at that point.

Frankly I wouldn't blame EK if she was pissed off or upset at TPTB. Beth death was senseless and stupid on pretty much every posible level even Kirkman couldn't really justify it. Even Andrea got the excuse that it was so what happened would cost something EK didn't get that much. Not too mention fridging(just google women in refridgerators if you don't get it.) Beth is truly sexist. I almost wonder if Kirkman being there isn't part of what set her off. I mean its one thing to fired because your boss is a sexist asshole its another to have to sit there and pretend he's not on live tv.

Edited by Emily Thrace
  • Love 5

Now the TPTB can claim "we asked Kirkman about the CDC." And it was super disingenuous of Chris to claim he had literally no idea Beth would die. He reads the interwebs—he self-identifies as a nerd.

It annoyed me that Chris made so many comments about a cast member guest not meaning there was going to be a death on the show, then dead Beth shows up to have a weepy half hour meltdown. If it had turned out to be an actor I cared about getting the pink slip, I'd have been livid.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's possible for the show to get any sadder than that.
  • Love 3

I think they do random schtick whether it's food themed or like a pair of scissors. And I wasn't comepletely squicked out by him taking a swipe at the cake, I probably wouldn't have eaten the cake anyway, put it on ebay with the "as seen on tv" moniker and "Chris Hardwicke touched it", certificate of authenticity. 

• Love 1
It annoyed me that Chris made so many comments about a cast member guest not meaning there was going to be a death on the show, then dead Beth shows up to have a weepy half hour meltdown. If it had turned out to be an actor I cared about getting the pink slip, I'd have been livid.

In his defense Chris was responding to the habit that TD had gotten into where every time a there was a TWD cast member on the show, it was after the episode when they died. This season they stopped doing that for the most part. The lone exception was EK which is why she was advertised as a "special guest appearance".

• Love 2

1) There is more than one interview with Norman Reedus stating he is single at SDCC so I think "girlfriend" is a very strong word for that relationship.

2) I would be curious to see where you see NR asking EK to stop at SDCC . I've seen that proposed as a theory but never seen actual proof. Ive seen people who have analyzed every eyebrow twitch of that interaction not see that so Im curious about your sources.

3. NR went out of his way to attend EK performance at Eddies Attic so I think they're more than good.

4 SDCC was well before the finale was shot for all EK or NR knew Beth and Daryl would reunite at that point.

Frankly I wouldn't blame EK if she was pissed off or upset at TPTB. Beth death was senseless and stupid on pretty much every posible level even Kirkman couldn't really justify it. Even Andrea got the excuse that it was so what happened would cost something EK didn't get that much. Not too mention fridging(just google women in refridgerators if you don't get it.) Beth is truly sexist. I almost wonder if Kirkman being there isn't part of what set her off. I mean its one thing to fired because your boss is a sexist asshole its another to have to sit there and pretend he's not on live tv.

RK wasn't the only one to make the call regarding killing Beth off - there were all the producers/directors/suits from AMC/writers as well.  And SG.  So don't place that decision all on him please.  Also most of the deaths on TWD are senseless and stupid.  That's part of life.  Think about the people you have known who have died - haven't most of those been senseless and useless?  Except those who are lucky enough to live to old age?

I see no sexism in the decision to kill off Beth.  Huh?  There's been just about the same number of deaths between men and women.  How was Beth's death sexism?  This new world is Darwinism at its finest - survival of the strongest.  Hope and innocence won't last long, which is why I'm thinking Ty, the "new Dale", won't last very long either.  Beth was changing and growing, but it was too little, too late.

And finally, EK - if she's going to stick with acting - better learn to accept getting laid off jobs a whole lot better soon.  It's been over 4 months since she shot her last scene, and she's still carrying on like the show just murdered her baby this morning.  I'm betting even the kids who've been on the show (Madison, Brighton and Kayla) didn't carry on like this when they were killed off.  She's 30 years old and pouting - not a nice look.

• Love 15

Chris Hardwick is like a smarmy, low rent Ryan Seacrest or Joe McHale to me.   Can't stand any of them.   All the guests run their mouths far too much, including Yvette.   I get it.   You are the most bestest fan ever!

Oh, but Slash.    Slash can come back anytime.    Too bad the Gareth guy and other asshole who wouldn't stop trying to one up him were drowning out Slash, who came across as intelligent and low key.    He is a musician after all, and a good one.  So he's smart, let him talk you yapping hyenas.

The red faced people on Skype or whatever made me want to punch myself with Mike Tyson's fist, and the dorky woman with the dog grated.   Fur baby!   Ohh, so cute!   No, I loathe little dogs and give hipster doofuses the corner eye.  

TD is not for me. 

Ryan Seacrest is cold and hard. I grew to despise him on American Idol (one of the many reasons I gave up and never looked back - I regret even watching as long as I did) with his beady eyes, plastic smile of robot death and his bizarre sadistic need to make certain contestants feel like shit. 

I thought Hardwick was a smarmy prick in his MTV days, a great example of the worst of that channel, but I think age has tempered his more smug tendencies, while he's still young enough inside to be able to be a big geek, and not an ironic, condescending geek, but one who genuinely enjoys the experience and isn't ashamed of it. 

He can annoy me at times, especially when he enables some of the more toxic elements of fandom, but overall I think this show is extremely lucky to have him.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 6
Do you guys read any of the stuff on nerdist? I'

He really doesn't have anything to do with the content of the website anymore. He has long since transferred all those responsibilities to other people. 

Oh I know he isn't there in the trenches. It just seems poorly run. And heaven forbid you comment on one of their articles regarding incorrect details or bad grammar. I've never had a comment deleted so quickly.

I generally like him on the show, just wondered if anyone else was into his other stuff.

• Love 1

I listen to the Nerdist podcast all the time (prefer the hostfuls to the interviews since they interview a lot of people I've never heard of or dont care for, but the interviews I do like I love like Yvette's, Ed Helms, Tom Hiddleston, etc) and watch @Midnight. He's a bit too hyper for me but I don't find there to be any malice behind what he does. I think, like most people involved in The Walking Dead promo, he's promoting the show so he's not always truthful to his opinions because he does have to push certain things. I just enjoy how much he enjoys things because there's so much negativity (myself included), that it's nice to see someone enjoy a lot of things. 

• Love 4

I said this in the Beth character thread, but it needs to be said here, too.

Raised by Herschel!

Trained by Daryl!

Meet The New Beth Greene!

Should I be reading anything into the show crediting Beth's "development" to male characters while her existence was snuffed out by a woman?

The quote is from the "Slabtown" episode of Talking Dead. I remember because I got so angry at it!

That said, I see TD as a means for TPTB at TWD to put information out there yet retain plausible deniability. "You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment." Wink wink, nudge nudge.

This is going back a while to when we were comparing Chris Hardwicke to the doofus on the SOA after show, did they fire him? Haven't seen him, the first show back Kurt Sutter ran it himself and last week (or the week before break, as I've not watched this weeks episode) there was some gray haired dude. 

I like Chris Hardwicke, he knows his topic and is a fan, only drawback for me is that if he really didn't like Beth or has any criticisms he can't express them. He does have to kiss ass to AMC/the show to get the access he has. 

It's still driving me nuts that the CDC question was just glossed over. I guess maybe someone without an animal carcass on their head should have asked, then maybe they wouldn't have gotten so sidetracked and actually answered the question. Then again....

• Love 4

For the most part, I found the Skype questions interesting and reflective of things we've talked/joked about. It's a shame most got lost to jokes. I thought the question of will the gang ever leave Atlanta area was good (we just joked about them walking in circles a few weeks back.

I loved the Shane vs Rick question because (as Kirkman) said we've seen Rick take a slowe approach but ended up with Shane jumped to rather quickly. I actually loved Kirkman's answer.

The CDC question was also good and a potential setup for interesting discussion. Unfortunately I think the requirements for getting your question asked via Skype was that you provide an interesting hook to grab the producers attention and it resulted in the guests going off track.

• Love 1
loved the Shane vs Rick question because (as Kirkman) said we've seen Rick take a slowe approach but ended up with Shane jumped to rather quickly. I actually loved Kirkman's answer.

I totally agreed with his answer about the group being a lot smaller if Rick had died instead of Shane. I get tired of the comparison. There is some to be made there, but just because Rick is a lot better at handling the hard shit now, that doesn't mean he's at a Shane level of coldness towards his own group. 

• Love 1

I totally agreed with his answer about the group being a lot smaller if Rick had died instead of Shane. I get tired of the comparison. There is some to be made there, but just because Rick is a lot better at handling the hard shit now, that doesn't mean he's at a Shane level of coldness towards his own group.

I agreed with his answer I think there's a lot of similarities but the big difference is that Rick is willing to let others in, even now. As soon as he viewed Noah as one of his people Rick wasn't going to let him go (in a good way).

I'm sure there's also the probability that Shane would sacrifice his own extended group to save his inner group (Lori, Carl, Judith). I can't ever see Rick doing that, he couldn't even hand over Michonne back in S3.

• Love 2

Kirkman had recently spoken about how the CDC business was his biggest regret (and likely one of the reasons he was supposedly so at odds with TPTB in the first few seasons), so I have a feeling he did not want to touch that question with a ten foot pole, which Hardwick likely knew. I also think when you behave like a clown, no one cares about answering your question. They probably assumed the Sam Kinison knockoff was just there to be on TV so they could ignore the rest. I had the same assumption.

I'm sure there's also the probability that Shane would sacrifice his own extended group to save his inner group (Lori, Carl, Judith). I can't ever see Rick doing that, he couldn't even hand over Michonne back in S3.

There was no group to Shane. It was Lori, Carl, Lori's baby-to-be, on a good day, Rick, and then "the rest," like the Gilligan's Island credits. I always think back to that scene where Rick was going to put Dale out of his misery, and Daryl, who'd already seen Rick have that type of duty on his conscience, took the gun into his own hands. Shane, who should have had that type of role, stood in the background. It spoke volumes. 

To be fair to Shane, I don't think any of the group really saw themselves as much of a group for the first two seasons. It was people who ran into each other or met each other and were together through no other option. There was no real concept of a core "group" until Rick put his foot down at the end of season 2. 

I think some people just hear the name "Shane" and think tough decisions, or being realistic, and the rest slips by. Carol was the new Shane. Rick is the new Shane. Shane was a lot more than that, really.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 7
I always think back to that scene where Rick was going to put Dale out of his misery, and Daryl, who'd already seen Rick have that type of duty on his conscience, took the gun into his own hands. Shane, who should have had that type of role, stood in the background. It spoke volumes.

Like when Sophia came out of the barn. Shane all of a sudden wasn't so trigger happy. Rick stepped up and took care of it. 

I agree with your assesment that there was no "group" outside of Lori and Carl. I've always thought he just saw the others as being means to an end for him. He was glad to have them around as far as they could benefit him and help him keep those two alive, but didn't really care about any of them outside of that. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 4

That was an odd period of time, as it was people who worked together and took risks for each other (well, some of them did...some just gave long self-righteous lectures all day long...), yet I don't know how many of them were actually close or saw themselves as any type of "family," mournful proclamations at mass graves aside. I don't think people started to form tight bonds until the farm (like Daryl and Carol, or Glenn with the Greenes), or the prison (Rick and Hershel, Rick and Daryl, etc.), which would help explain why, for instance, Carol and Glenn have little to say to each other (well that and lazy writing).

Anyway, yeah, I don't really remember Shane particularly caring about any of them, beyond basic providing (which is huge, don't get me wrong).

• Love 6

I can see Rick doing it. If it comes down to Carl and Judith and a member of the group, he's going to choose Carl and Judith.

Sure he thought better of it after he set things in motion but he did turn Michonne over even after hearing what Merle said the Governor was likely to do to Michonne. 

I also think the reason he subsequently changed his mind was Merle's comment about handing Michonne over for "a shot". I think Rick could no longer justify his actions (handing Michonne over = safety for the group) and faced the fact that handing Michonne over guaranteed nothing.

Also, being told by junkie, redneck Merle that he was cold as ice(for turning over a Nubian Queen to be tortured) probably got under Rick's skin and messed with his pride LOL

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 2

Kirkman had recently spoken about how the CDC business was his biggest regret (and likely one of the reasons he was supposedly so at odds with TPTB in the first few seasons), so I have a feeling he did not want to touch that question with a ten foot pole, which Hardwick likely knew. I also think when you behave like a clown, no one cares about answering your question. They probably assumed the Sam Kinison knockoff was just there to be on TV so they could ignore the rest. I had the same assumption.

It's frustrating because even if Kirkman regretted it, it was still written and filmed and no one even mentioning the CDC to Eugene was a huge, glaring hole.  I don't like the skype format because now, as already said, people are going to do stupid attention-getting things to get their questions on the air and their silly hats and tiny dogs are going to pull focus and airtime away from the questions and answers and the rest of the show in general. I thought the hat guy did ask a good question, it's too bad he screamed it like a lunatic and felt that he had to just to get his question heard.  

Random:  This will always be funny.  Sorry, Beth, he's just not that into you!

tumblr_n9htkhFwD51s8h1l3o1_250.gif

• Love 1

I recently rewatched the episode with Andy last year when they had skype and they all asked well-thought out, normal questions. We had the girl with the bird, but she still had a good question. So I'm fine with Skype still being a thing as long as they don't use it for comedy, which is what was terribly wrong with the whole thing this time. The scream-y guy, the creepy dad who wanted to make out with Lauren. The girl with the dog was chill, thankfully. With Andy's episode, I think there was 2 video questions, and 2 actual Skype questions. So it's not like it's not planned, they're aware of what the video will be. it's screened. There isn't a need to let the crazy through.

The show has trouble finding a balance sometimes. I feel like it's stumbled a bit the last year or so, probably because the control of TWD people seem much more evident. I'm fine with there being comedians on cracking jokes, despite it being a serious episode because it livens it up. I'm fine with people connected to the show being on, as long as they are able to contribute and not be silent like Kirkman (who barely seems like he even cares about the show anymore). But I don't want it to be a tongue bathing of the actor who happens to be on. I don't want it to be a platform for people for their comedy routines. I don't want it to be a platform to talk about ships, because for me it's the last thing TWD needs. 

I used to rewatched episodes of the show because I enjoyed the discussions so much. But this year, I feel like the only episode I can even remember is the one with Josh and Cudlitz, because they were adorable. 

• Love 4

Firstly:

Please excuse any re-treading, but I've been on the road a lot the past couple of weeks and came back to find my DVR hovering at/around 90% full - so I've been playing a lot of catchup.

Secondly:

I just got around to watching the post-MSF airing of TTD, and I have to say I don't understand all the bashing on EK's display of emotion.  A few points of consideration:

• If EK's iMDB listing is correct, TWD was her 8th acting job ever since starting bit parts in 2007.
  • TWD was also her first  and only acting job of any significant duration - 4 years (2011-2014) vs. the next-closest runner-up in her repertoire (3 episodes of Nurse Jackie in 2011).  Half of EK's acting career has been spent on this set.
  • When EK started this job, she was about 25 - definitely not a teen, but still a young girl.

Do I think her emotional display was OTT?  It would've been for me, but I'm over 50.  She hasn't hit 30 yet, and she just lost not only her most significant acting role to date, but also the acting home she's occupied for half her TV/film career.  So I'm prepared to cut her a little slack for demonstrating emotion about what was probably one of the most jarring life experiences she's yet had to experience.

Also - it probably really didn't help to be discussing such an emotionally trying issue while sitting next to Kirkman, who had just finished depicting her personal upheaval as grist for TWD's death mill.  Writing skills notwithstanding, Kirkman has all the social grace of a belt sander. 

** In the interests of full disclosure: one of my daughters is 26 - about the same age as EK was when she started the series - so this may color my perceptions somewhat.

• Love 13

The thing is, no one put a gun to Emily's head and forced her to go on TTD. If she still felt too raw and emotional about getting the pink slip to discuss her departure in public, she should have just respectfully declined. I mean, she probably falls in the middle of the Helen Mirren-to-Lindsay Lohan Spectrum of Acting Professionalism, but repeatedly breaking down crying on a live talk show can't be good for her future employment prospects.

• Love 2

I was fine with the tears. Like when Lauren teared up with Scott Wilson last year, I think actors are overly emotional and even knowing my own past work with theatre groups, I understand the closeness and sadness thst comes with leaving.

I do have issue with people using it as an example of how she was screwed over and how much she didn't want to leave. It's not her only gig. She loves her music, she's interviews with magazines. She'll be fine.

• Love 2

Yes; Lauren expressed sadness about not being able to see Scott Wilson at work. That's okay. She did not intimate any feelings of blame toward her employers; that's smart.

I may have mentioned this, but the British actress Emma Thompson once talked about the first rule of working in Hollywood

"Don't shit on anyone important."

Doesn't matter if you're right, if they deserve it, whatever. It's career suicide. That's just the way that business works, and they have blackballed bigger people than EK.

• Love 2
The thing is, no one put a gun to Emily's head and forced her to go on TTD. If she still felt too raw and emotional about getting the pink slip to discuss her departure in public, she should have just respectfully declined.

Actually it's entirely possible that her contract would require her to do any promotional appearances that TPTB ask her to do.

• Love 4

Firstly:

Please excuse any re-treading, but I've been on the road a lot the past couple of weeks and came back to find my DVR hovering at/around 90% full - so I've been playing a lot of catchup.

Secondly:

I just got around to watching the post-MSF airing of TTD, and I have to say I don't understand all the bashing on EK's display of emotion.  A few points of consideration:

• If EK's iMDB listing is correct, TWD was her 8th acting job ever since starting bit parts in 2007.
  • TWD was also her first  and only acting job of any significant duration - 4 years (2011-2014) vs. the next-closest runner-up in her repertoire (3 episodes of Nurse Jackie in 2011).  Half of EK's acting career has been spent on this set.
  • When EK started this job, she was about 25 - definitely not a teen, but still a young girl.

Do I think her emotional display was OTT?  It would've been for me, but I'm over 50.  She hasn't hit 30 yet, and she just lost not only her most significant acting role to date, but also the acting home she's occupied for half her TV/film career.  So I'm prepared to cut her a little slack for demonstrating emotion about what was probably one of the most jarring life experiences she's yet had to experience.

Also - it probably really didn't help to be discussing such an emotionally trying issue while sitting next to Kirkman, who had just finished depicting her personal upheaval as grist for TWD's death mill.  Writing skills notwithstanding, Kirkman has all the social grace of a belt sander. 

** In the interests of full disclosure: one of my daughters is 26 - about the same age as EK was when she started the series - so this may color my perceptions somewhat.

That only furthers the argument that she was a bit unprofessional. For most actors it's a life of rejection going on auditions that go no where and shooting pilots that never see the light of day. I have no problem with showing some emotion and being teary eyed. The actors who played TDawg, Hershel and Andrea all seemed a bit teary eyed. EK was barely able to hold it together. That's not a good look if you hope to get cast in anything else.

• Love 2

That only furthers the argument that she was a bit unprofessional. For most actors it's a life of rejection going on auditions that go no where and shooting pilots that never see the light of day. I have no problem with showing some emotion and being teary eyed. The actors who played TDawg, Hershel and Andrea all seemed a bit teary eyed. EK was barely able to hold it together. That's not a good look if you hope to get cast in anything else.

I'd be willing to bet Scott Wilson, with 77+ acting credits under his belt, has a wee bit more practice at graceful departures than EK.

• Love 3