Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

What is up with this appalling new trend of them allowing women to wear pants?

LOL.  i got shirtless Rick, I'm happy.

i liked some of the crew growing beards and shaving them when Rick did.

• Love 3

What?  Ew, Norman R is keeping Andy L's beard? Ew.ew.ew.

He's going to sell it on ebay for thousands of dollars. And then that person will make little crocheted Rick dolls stuffed with his beard hair to sell on Etsy.

• Love 7

I really don't like when Tara is on ttd.

Did hardwick ever say what easter egg was in the episode? I missed it.

that's what I wondered! He kept teasing an Easter egg but then I never heard him say "and that was the Easter egg."

It was annoying for him to mention the easter egg and then not show it. I didn't like Alanna on this episode. She wanted to make it all about her and constantly brought everything back to her being "one of the group". The truth is, she is one of the B players and her doing practical jokes doesn't change that. Everything was "this is what I do" and then she was even jokingly annoyed that the Veep guy wanted to be Daryl.

I'm not feeling TD this year as much as I did prior years. I liked it when they got into a lot of theories/questions with guest and audience members. They did a little of that here, but most of this is quizzes, polls and references to Hardwick's other gigs.

• Love 8
(edited)

Hardwick said on twitter:

The easter egg was in Ms. Womble’s wardrobe package for those who just watched @AMCTalkingDead…

Which still tells us nothing. 

Edited:

I assumed this was that Rick's badge says 'they will rise again' in Latin.

Perhaps but I also think that's a terrible easter egg. Easter eggs are usually something to spot in the background, not something told to us outright. Also, it's not really an easter egg of the show because the latin phrase isn't even visible at any point. Even when they showed a close up, you couldn't read it. 

I agree about Talking Dead this year. Something has just been very very off. Before it felt like they were rushing through the half hour, and now I can't wait for the hour to end. Part of my dislike also stems from the fact that I know that Hardwick is very aware of the fandom. So a lot of things he says I know he's playing to particular parts, or saying things that others have said, or responding to certain comments (which is why I think he's now asking to do things to the audience rather than forcing it). Hardwick always was an extension of the show for me, and now he's just another hardcore fan which is sort of off-putting. 

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 7

So, I bit the bullet and sacrificed my Talking Dead virginity tonight.  Might make an effort to watch it more often.  Was more interesting/entertaining than I was imagining.

That montage of the "memories of the deceased" - at least, the titles - was hilarious.  Hardwick seems like a funny guy.

{not that anyone gives a flying squirrel crap, but I aced the live quiz;  pretty proud of myself}

• Love 2

Yeah, a little Talking Dead goes a long way. Then, after a few times, it gets old.

Except when Alanna Masterson is wearing a miniskirt for the entire ep.

I'm guessing the motto on the sleeve of Rick's new uniform and a reaction form this kind of tie in together, in some fashion...?

• Love 1

I know different people have different opinions, but I absolutely refuse to bash Chris Hardwick.

Because I've seen some of the aftershow host alternatives - and next to them, Hardwick is a beacon of all that is good and right.

Anybody who saw some of the SOA aftershows knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

• Love 12
(edited)

I agree about Talking Dead this year. Something has just been very very off. Before it felt like they were rushing through the half hour, and now I can't wait for the hour to end. Part of my dislike also stems from the fact that I know that Hardwick is very aware of the fandom. So a lot of things he says I know he's playing to particular parts, or saying things that others have said, or responding to certain comments (which is why I think he's now asking to do things to the audience rather than forcing it). Hardwick always was an extension of the show for me, and now he's just another hardcore fan which is sort of off-putting. 

For me it mostly depends who is on the show. There have been less failed standups and fake fans who look bored as hell. "Fan" Mindy Kaling popping up to bash "scary" Michonne in one of the episodes around this point last season was a low point for me and nothing this season has overtaken it, although Barrowman bashing Maggie and bleating on about Beth's back acting comes close (and I liked Beth a lot so that wasn't my problem with it - it was just so damn cloying and pretentious).

One of the problems is they want to have a lot of silly infantile stuff because they know people don't want to spend 40 minutes in misery, but sometimes it just gets in the way. It also encourages Hardwick to go sugar high, to the point where I worry he's close to doing the Beavis and Butthead laugh for an entire segment. 

I also wish they'd abolish the insta-polls. I rarely agree with the results, and many of them, especially the, "Can we trust [new black male character]" polls, feel loaded and divisive. 

And I want to get rid of the tweet thing, and the thing with that ugly Carmax zombie graphic with zombies getting run over or whatever. It has a strange flow and tone and jars me every time I see it. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

The actress that plays Tara is just as annoying in real life as she is on the show.  Me!  Me!  Me!

She should learn a lesson from this - when you are on the show with one of your bosses you should let them get a word in every once in awhile.  I actually like when they have guests that aren't on the show because they can talk about theories and stuff.  That poor guy didn't have a chance with her mouth going the whole time.

• Love 8

What is up with this appalling new trend of them allowing women to wear pants? I am deeply offended. Until recently, "Talking Dead" was a show that I could rely on to, if nothing else, follow the Fox news/ Original Star Trek/ Xena: Warrior Princess rule that, if you've got legs, you show 'em. And Alanna Masterson, based on what she's shown previously on that couch, has the best legs on the entire cast. And it's not exactly a cast of fuggos. "Talking Dead" is supposed to be the hour where they make it up to me for looking at Abraham in a child-sized wife beater, god damn it.

Ichabod Crane, is that you?

• Love 3

It was annoying for him to mention the easter egg and then not show it. I didn't like Alanna on this episode. She wanted to make it all about her and constantly brought everything back to her being "one of the group". The truth is, she is one of the B players and her doing practical jokes doesn't change that. Everything was "this is what I do" and then she was even jokingly annoyed that the Veep guy wanted to be Daryl.

I suspect CH didn't get to the easter egg because Alanna's running her mouth ate up too much time.

I expected the easter egg to be the title of the book that Michonne was holding during the taped interview, since it seemed awkward and out of place, but then again maybe not as they kinda hit us over the head with it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Fun fact: I messaged Chris Hardwick on reddit to tell him a piece he wrote for Wired magazine struck a chord with me, then promptly forgot about it. A few weeks later he replied and was very sweet. It was totally unexpected. So, I will be loyal to him for all eternity.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 15

I can not stand Alanna, she wouldnt STFU. I actually really enjoyed everything her boss the blonde lady was saying and info she gave. 

Alanna was like hee haw joke hee haw joke lol lol.... Such a difference from how elequently the actress that plays Michone was. I like the actors to be insightful, this chick was annoying be to no end.  

• Love 4

I thought this one was very uneven, mostly due to Alanna Masterson.  I get that she was trying to be informative and funny about things behind the scenes, but it was all done through a prism of Me, Me, Me and it got old fast.  She really came off (to me) as very self-absorbed.  I wish the Veep guy could have said more but every time his mouth opened, it seemed that Alanna jumped in first with a comment unless Chris Hardwick pulled the reins.

I liked Denise Huth.  She was very pretty in a Sheryl Crowe kind of way and seemed genuinely pleased to be on the show.  I think the show could have been more entertaining with someone else in the middle of the couch.  Alanna Masterson kind of sucked up all the oxygen in that room.

• Love 6
I didn't like Alanna on this episode. She wanted to make it all about her and constantly brought everything back to her being "one of the group". The truth is, she is one of the B players and her doing practical jokes doesn't change that. Everything was "this is what I do" and then she was even jokingly annoyed that the Veep guy wanted to be Daryl.

Agreed. I'm actually growing to like Tara on the show. But both times I've seen Alanna on TD, she has come across inauthentic and as if she's trying too hard. Denise even seemed put off by her a few times. 

• Love 4

Is it just me, or does he seem more and more like a freak every time we hear some behind-the-scenes tidbit about him?

Thank you. When I heard the "hilarious" beard-in-the-fridge story my immediate thought was "Yet another reason I would never ever want to meet Norman Reedus."
  • Love 3

Thank you. When I heard the "hilarious" beard-in-the-fridge story my immediate thought was "Yet another reason I would never ever want to meet Norman Reedus."

Actually... I know Alanna kept talking herself up as Queen Prankster, but for some reason (something I read a while back, maybe?) I had the idea AL and NR were the main pranksters on the set, and constantly focused on ways to outdo each other. Which makes me think that beard in NR's fridge is destined for prank immortality.

• Love 4

I think aside from his acting career he is kind of a crazy cat man (have you seen the pictures he's taken with his cat? Puuurrrr). I still want to meet him for, um, bible study, but I'd probably bring granola bars or anything else that doesn't need to be refrigerated. What else does he have in there, toenail clippings and Merle's old hand? Blecchhh

• Love 2

When she got upset that the Veep guy said he would be Daryl, I had it. What a dumb thing to say. No one would pick Tara.

And she acted so defensive when Chris or anyone made comments about the cast being dirty or feral. Its not real. He's not mocking you, lady. Ugh she sucked so much.

• Love 1

This episode was a let down primarily due to Alanna.  She so wants to be the center of attention and was all 'I'm known as the biggest ball buster' and 'I do the best pranks'...so she must make it all about herself on set.  I couldn't believe it when she talked about her prank as I can only see the cost overruns due to delays because of her pranks.  Plus, many actors psych themselves up for a scene and then to be taken out of it would be horrible.  Maybe production will decide she's not worth it as a cast member.

• Love 5

She's a minor character (as much as I love Tara, she is a minor character) so if she were holding up set, she'd probably be gone by now, and she probably wouldn't be on Talking Dead either. I think she has the "big I am" syndrome (or that's what they called it in old Corrie episodes...). I didn't mind her in her last appearance but this one was very OTT, even in the bonus clip, where everyone was treating her like an addled aunt who'd had too much sherry.

Maybe she was overcompensating because she's on the way out (no spoilers just spec on the interview) or maybe she just got nervous. Either way, it was a little offputting.

• Love 4

Lauren Cohan was boring (I was on my phone for much of the episode), Danai Gurira was engaging and intelligent and funny and warm, and Alanna Masterson was annoying. Danai is now tied with Yvette Nicole Brown at the top of my TD MVP roster. I always enjoy Greg Nicotero, Scott Gimple ain't bad, and I would've like to have heard more from Denise Huth. I'm glad she stuck around after Frank Darabont left.

• Love 3

I think Gale Hurd's been decent too, but her personality might be a little more reserved and she doesn't "read" as energetic and comfortable as Gimple or Nicotero on screen.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've enjoyed all the behind-the-scenes guests except Kirkman. When he's on I just really want to roll my eyes. It would be awful if he and Alanna were on together!

edited: because he's not the Costco heir.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 4

Lauren Cohan was boring (I was on my phone for much of the episode), Danai Gurira was engaging and intelligent and funny and warm, and Alanna Masterson was annoying. Danai is now tied with Yvette Nicole Brown at the top of my TD MVP roster. I always enjoy Greg Nicotero, Scott Gimple ain't bad, and I would've like to have heard more from Denise Huth. I'm glad she stuck around after Frank Darabont left.

I would add Kevin Smith to your MVP roster.

• Love 2

I've enjoyed all the behind-the-scenes guests except Kirkman. When he's on I just really want to roll my eyes. It would be awful if he and Alanna were on together!

edited: because he's not the Costco heir.

The last time Kirkman was on it cracked me up that he just couldn't understand why people didn't like FPP.  I think he totally is not in touch with reality.

• Love 2

I thought Lauren got into the spirit pretty well in her last Talking Dead, given that she seemed to want a serious talk and Hardwick was being a child, complete with bending the legs on her action figure and asking her to replicate it. The whole atmosphere was weird.

I don't even remember Kevin Smith's TD appearance. I'm not sure why. Some, like Chris Jericho's where he talked to himself for an entire hour, I never seem to forget, even when I try.

I think it might be Chandler. They talked about having him on forever ago, plus it's march break so he'd have some time off school...if he's even in regular school.

Special guest means death only like half the time now. I think they just do it bc they know people will assume death, despite being wrong, and more will tune in expecting it.

Or it'll be some random from Alexandria who gets himself killed for taunting walkers.

• Love 1

My guess is Norman Reedus, but no to Daryl dying.....at least at this time.

Norman was supposed to be at Wizard World Fan Fest this weekend, but he canceled Sunday and is only going to be there Saturday. I have no idea if that's related, but I think he canceled Sunday for Talking Dead. That's my guess anyway. We'll see.

• Love 2