Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

He's always been a shill. It's just that most of the time he and YNB have been in agreement. He was doing her a favor, in a way, because I don't think any of the season 2 guests who criticized the writing have ever been allowed back.

Just curious - do you recall who that might include? I'm drawing a blank.

The only thing I wish would have been mentioned is while Chandler was 10 when the show started and he's now 16. But if it's only been about three years on the show wouldn't Carl only be about 13? Or is this a case of you should just hand wave that fact.

The only thing I wish would have been mentioned is while Chandler was 10 when the show started and he's now 16. But if it's only been about three years on the show wouldn't Carl only be about 13? Or is this a case of you should just hand wave that fact.

Actually, according to the TWD wiki I looked at earlier, they're only about 18 mos. into the ZA. We need to just hand wave it away. They couldn't keep recasting Carl. So it's sort of the opposite of Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome - where the character is quickly aged.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

I love YNB, even if she is way to shippery for my tastes. Once you get her off her Caryl and Michonne kicks she is an awesome guest.  She looked really good last night too.  I mean she is a very pretty lady but she was like glowing or something?

Chandler seems like a really down to earth kid compared to some of his counterparts in this business.

• Love 5
She looked really good last night too.  I mean she is a very pretty lady but she was like glowing or something?

I hope that means that her home situation with her dad has gotten less stressful and she's able to take some time to relax.

• Love 3

I like when YNB is on.  This isn't a "ship" show for me, but I don't mind it. I did appreciate that she put it aside to discuss her thoughts.  From reading the other forums, I know there is dislike for the Jessie thing for many reasons and I think she captured one of my personal reasons well (e.g. it's all him trying to get his ducks in a row for normalcy).  I still don't see this chemistry they keep mentioning and it felt like Chris showhorned that into her answer.

Oh my gosh, Chandler!  I just love him.  He seems like such a sweet, intelligent kid.  I enjoyed his answers and thoughts into what Carl thinks.  Also the insight into his relationship with Lincoln was just cute.

Structurally, I didn't feel the conversation was very tailored to our guests.  I think limiting Yvette to a few pointed topics works best for her.  Her answers tend to be well thought out and I like the time she puts in, but I think trying that ask her opinion on too many things disrupts the conversation. 

• Love 2

I thought Chandler still looked a bit young until they showed some of the pictures of him from earlier seasons. He really has grown-up.

God help the girls at his high school. Kid's gonna get laid more than carpet from Dalton*.

ETA:

* Which is in Georgia. Like Chandler Riggs. Coincidence...?

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 4

I still don't see this chemistry they keep mentioning and it felt like Chris showhorned that into her answer.

His horribly awkward, "You're going off script" face kind of says it all for me:

tumblr_nlolyw9IwV1tdekjbo1_400.gif

(that isn't mine, I got it on Tumblr) 

I don't really feel that Hardwick resents or hates Michonne, as some do, but having to push this line so blatantly even when it doesn't fit the tone of what is being discussed takes away from his funny, likeable nature and makes him seem like some type of White House spokesman who is struggling with the press corps. And I think that it would be better if he was not as blatant in pushing one thing over other things too much. It just makes me feel more uneasy about watching. That and things like the way he was with that mutilated Noah mockup last week when Tyler James Williams was clearly uncomfortable.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 7

That and things like the way he was with that mutilated Noah mockup last week when Tyler James Williams was clearly uncomfortable.

It was the same with the Scott Wilson head which no one was thrilled about, especially the traumatized audience. It was not a good moment for Hardwick either. Tyler James Williams was cool, but he did not seem thrilled about being killed off either. Hardwick needs to figure out when to tone it down.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

His horribly awkward, "You're going off script" face kind of says it all for me:

tumblr_nlolyw9IwV1tdekjbo1_400.gif

(that isn't mine, I got it on Tumblr) 

I don't really feel that Hardwick resents or hates Michonne, as some do, but having to push this line so blatantly even when it doesn't fit the tone of what is being discussed takes away from his funny, likeable nature and makes him seem like some type of White House spokesman who is struggling with the press corps. And I think that it would be better if he was not as blatant in pushing one thing over other things too much. It just makes me feel more uneasy about watching. That and things like the way he was with that mutilated Noah mockup last week when Tyler James Williams was clearly uncomfortable.

I didn't feel like he was pushing a line as much as showing another side.  He's allowed to have an opinion too.  Besides, Jessie has nothing to do with Michonne.  Michonne is Rick's friend and Jessie is the woman that makes him weak in the knees.  Men have been known to have both!

I do agree that the Noah thing was horrible.

• Love 4

I didn't feel like he was pushing a line as much as showing another side.  He's allowed to have an opinion too.  Besides, Jessie has nothing to do with Michonne.  Michonne is Rick's friend and Jessie is the woman that makes him weak in the knees.  Men have been known to have both!

In this case it did, because he knows that YNB is a big Richonne shipper. Interjecting in her concise points about Jessie/Rick to talk about chemistry just ended with her bringing up Michonne.

The idea that Rick is looking for a Lori do-over is separate from whether or not Rick and Jessie have chemistry. You can have chemistry with someone and still be using them for your own baggage. And blurring those lines, as he did yet again, and the show has done, just further weakens the story. If they want to talk about "feelings" and "chemistry," then I think there are better ways to do it. Trying to justify Rick behaving like a lunatic because of "chemistry" just makes him look even worse. If they have that much chemistry, then it can be explored once this part of the story is over. Hardwick pushing it after that particular episode just made him and the show look desperate, to me.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

I was seriously pissed that YNB was sidelined.  I know she had more points to make, and the questions went elsewhere.  I get it was Miss Chanadlar Riggs first appearance, but YNB was right about the Rick/Jesse stuff being rushed.  And she was shut down by Hardwick.  He transitioned from host to shill in that moment.

(a) I will never get tired of references to Ms Chanandler Riggs. Heh.

(b) I love YNB, but was she promoed last week as a guest? I feel like she is an in-week call-in when a scheduled guest can't make it. And she's amazing. She's already ready - no extra prepping needed (and no awkward "has she even seen this show?" moments I've felt with some other guests). I love her as a guest, because she does get to spout more of her own ideas, versus the leash I imagine Hardwick is on. 

• Love 2

I didn't feel like he was pushing a line as much as showing another side.  He's allowed to have an opinion too.

Not only allowed - required. CH is not just another seat on the couch; he's the host, and it's his job sometimes to flip the script to provoke debate/discussion. And considering this show is not just live but Honest-to-God live, he's required to ad-lib a LOT - with varying degrees of success.

In this case it did, because he knows that YNB is a big Richonne shipper. Interjecting in her concise points about Jessie/Rick to talk about chemistry just ended with her bringing up Michonne.

Case in point.

• Love 4

Not only allowed - required. CH is not just another seat on the couch; he's the host, and it's his job sometimes to flip the script to provoke debate/discussion. And considering this show is not just live but Honest-to-God live, he's required to ad-lib a LOT - with varying degrees of success.

I think part of being the host also means relative objectivity, which sometimes gets lost in the shuffle. If you're going to be a host and want to raise another point about Rick and Jessie, I think saying, "They have real chemistry," is not one of the better ways to go about it, because YNB wasn't talking about their chemistry. It just came across to me as oddly defensive, like they were his OTP or something.

• Love 1

Just a reminder guys that this thread shouldn't have any comic spoilers in here. We should be discussing who appeared on the show and what was discussed on the Talking Dead, which in turn discusses the episode that just aired.

The Comics thread is HERE. Just be careful with what you post. Some people are spoiler allergic and get mad hives and may pull a Rick when reading things that tip them off to what happened (though I doubt they are covered in blood and look like a madman or madwoman). *grin*

I've deleted the posts that contained the spoilers. Carry on.

• Love 1

I'm just glad Chris Hardwick didn't try to spoonfeed the audience member some of that tuna casserole.

The last thing I expect is for him to be objective—this is an hour-long commercial for The Walking Dead.

• Love 3

I feel bad for Hardwick sometimes (in a first-world-problem type way) because he is such a fan, but he has to remain partial as a host, but he has to cover all sides, and if he doesn't he gets called sexist or racist or a shipper or a hater. He's plenty used to it, if anyone listens to The Nerdist podcast, but it's not an easy job. Hardwick has been the one of Michonne's biggest fans and I can remember his glee when she first showed up at the end of season 2 + having Danai on for the first time. To say he now hates her for the sole fact that he doesn't ship her with Rick is sort of ridiculous. 

And yes, Yvette was a last minute addition that was promoted some time during the week. I was excited for the sole fact that I don't care for Gale all the time (she's like a happy medium between Kirkman's non-answering, and Greg's can talk without giving much away) but she gets a little too 'ooo whooo knows" for my liking. But since it was Chandler's first time, it wasn't a great episode for her to be on since we had 5 years of show to ask CR about. But I can understand them calling her, if CR was nervous as Hardwick said he was. She's a nice presence.  

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 3

I have to admit I cringe whenever I hear "porch dick." It just comes across as tryhardism to me with Hardwick. Not everything has to be a catchphrase. 

Cute video though. This show has such a terrific cast. And yes, Brill's an attractive man.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

Not cool TD with the hide your wife (from Rick).  Fuck that. :(.

It is official I am calling INS to TWD set. They need to check green card status. It is the freaking British invasion over there.

Sleepy Hollow is moving to Georgia to film and Tom Mison is already plotting a way to sneak on to the set as a zombie. 

• Love 4

Oddballs. I'm in Wisconsin right now and its been freezing cold here all week, and I'm sort of with Hardwick on this one, was that chick from Hayward not really wearing a shirt in her question? Good lord she must have heat blasting at her house.

• Love 2

Interesting that Lennie James says Morgan left the fakewolves in the car and honked the horn to make sure there were no zombies around and they'd be safe, rather than trying to draw zombies to them.

Wow, Andrew Lincoln looked hot in that bloody face Rick shot.  I need help.

Edited by raven
  • Love 6

The hedgehog was cute, but why is that woman singing?

Desperate to be on TV.

It's a shame that Hardwick babied these questions and couldn't stop making fun of the people who actually sent in real questions, instead of just blathering like an idiot like that Gig Guy. 

• Love 1

I KNEW it was going to be Lennie! Also knew he was British since I watched the special features from season one, but it never fails to throw me when he starts speaking. 

These Skype callers are annoying. 

• Love 1

I wish his announcment would be another clip of the show.

I wish they'd show Yvette in the crowd. I love that she's there. I'm such a fangirl of Yvette. Age of the Geeks!

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 1

Oh Andy, I lust after you. Morgan better be joining the cast next season. I know that Lennie has a British medical series coming up, but those series tend to only be three to six episodes so it does not preclude him being a regular on TWD.