Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

I love Yvette. I loved that she brought up the Galatians verse about Glenn from Gabriel's church. I"m on the fence about whether Enid is a junior shewolf, and what Yvette said didn't help persaude me. I'm just as on the fence as before.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 2

I don't think they've shown the nightvision audience before.  It would be so fun to watch the episode--especially one like this--in the TD audience.  Live chatting + refresh, here, is the next best thing, though.

Being just a few seconds behind, I was typing "They should go ahead and take their chances with that barbed wire behind the dumpster," when the banner at the top of the page popped up to inform me there were 37 New Replies.  Uh-oh. . .

• Love 10

I think Steve Yuen wasn't on for the same reason that they didn't show the light going out of his eyes either in the close-up or the overhead shot - the show doesn't want us to be certain about his death for a while. If they have some plotlines hinging on searching for Glen, it's very different if we all know more than the characters do.  (Picture the searching for Sophia scenes if the show had given us a shot of her in the barn.)

That said, I'm not going to enjoy a 90-minute diversion into Morgan's backstory with Glen's death hovering over it. I get that the writers like to occasionally withhold fulfillment of plot lines but I really hope that the preview was a smokescreen because this would be a terrible time to give us a backstory that I was otherwise really excited to watch.

• Love 4
If they have some plotlines hinging on searching for Glen, it's very different if we all know more than the characters do.  (Picture the searching for Sophia scenes if the show had given us a shot of her in the barn.)

This is a very good point, and I think it actually makes the most sense out of all the spec I've heard/read. So now I'm back on Glenn being dead, and it's been kept a bit vague so we can go on the journey with CDB as they try to find out what happened to him. Sigh....

• Love 1

This is a very good point, and I think it actually makes the most sense out of all the spec I've heard/read. So now I'm back on Glenn being dead, and it's been kept a bit vague so we can go on the journey with CDB as they try to find out what happened to him. Sigh....

Hey, he could still be alive too - it's just that I don't think the show is being needlessly dickish about the way they shot the scene. (Boy, this episode is really testing my recent resolution to stop posting in the episode threads. sigh)

• Love 2

Oh! and I almost forgot, Props to Yvette Nicole Brown, for shouting out that Danai Guirra's play Eclipsed is transferring to Broadway.  Hardwick seemed to quickly gloss over that.   I am really anti-Hardwick today,grrr.

• Love 6

Props to Yvette Nicole Brown, for shouting out that Danai Guirra's play Eclipsed is transferring to Broadway.  Hardwick seemed to quickly gloss over that.  

Probably because there is no solar eclipse that reanimates the dead.....

Michonne fans called out The Shill recently, for being so dismissive towards her.

That's why he make those comments about being glad she more character development.

Oh! and I almost forgot, Props to Yvette Nicole Brown, for shouting out that Danai Guirra's play Eclipsed is transferring to Broadway. Hardwick seemed to quickly gloss over that. I am really anti-Hardwick today,grrr.

Michonne fans called out The Shill recently, for being so dismissive towards her.

That's why he make those comments about being glad she got more character development.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 1

Hey, he could still be alive too - it's just that I don't think the show is being needlessly dickish about the way they shot the scene. (Boy, this episode is really testing my recent resolution to stop posting in the episode threads. sigh)

For me the dickish part will come into play if next week they shift to a different story thread and return to Glenn later.  So its really the promo monkeys that I'm annoyed with because they used past history with Governor episodes plus 4B structure plus the Morgan part of the next episode in the promo and sneak peak to toy with us.**

If they pick up Glenn's storyline in any way next week, then I'll be fine with this, fake out or not.  I don't even need the answer to 'is Glenn dead?'.  I just need to see CDB in some way and early in the episode.   Because what annoys me is the idea that they are going to ruin 90 minutes of the Walking Dead because they set up for a great episode on the CDB front and then make me deal with just good which will be lowered to sucked completely  due to delayed gratification.  I'm not particularly attached to Glenn as a long term character so what I'm interested is the drama of the search and the joy or tears at the end.  I want that to start next week.

And now that I've reflected, I think its likely they'll do more than Morgan just because the episode is supersized.  If they do ASZ, then Maggie learns that Glenn is missing because Michonne has already crossed the fenceline.  If they do the herd, then we get Rick extracted somehow and that will shift towards Glenn once they get back to ASZ.

And I do think it was the right call not to have anyone from the show on the TD because they are trying not to be outright dickish by lying or putting any of the cast in the position where they have to lie or evade.  Better than I get from GoT.

**PS, I have to admit that I was completely confused by that Into the Badlands promo during TD.  I was trying to figure out how Morgan time travelled in the ZA and when he was going to show up and whether we were looking at Glenn's replacement (despite Glenn not being dead, IMO).

Edited by ParadoxLost

There was a full page ad in the Sunday NY Times for Danai's play. Not to be vulgar, but that's a pretty big fucking deal. This is actual Broadway, and not the basement of a church in the East Village. The show should have made more of this accomplishment, and not have to rely on YNB for a throw-away comment. Granted, it's not as impressive as Hardwick appearing at Chuckles Comedy Club in Utica, but come on show.

• Love 15

I am finally getting around to watching this week's episode. The feel of the show is completely different than how it normally is for a character death (to me). I am in "Glenn is alive" camp.

And I generally like Gimple, but I don't think he cares about the characters the same way TV watching fans do. I just don't.

And Yvette did lose some points with me saying that Glenn first talked to Rick in episode two. It was episode one. And Glenn never killed a human being? Not when he ripped the bone out of the dead walker in the governors captivity room? Not on the governor's final attack? Maybe he didn't, but I'm right about the ep 1 thing. :p

I've edited this post approximately 42 times now, but I've about had it with this show I think. They were too cagey. Glenn's supposed death scene was done with very little care, and Yvette's mopey face was over the top. I think TD is fully a cog in Gimple's machine, and it can't be trusted.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1

Also just watched Talking Dead. What the hell was that. Already mentioned, but yeah, the tone was off, they were being way too cagey...Glenn is totally alive. And I'm pissed that this will take away emotional resonance from when he actually does finally die.

Also just watched Talking Dead. What the hell was that. Already mentioned, but yeah, the tone was off, they were being way too cagey...Glenn is totally alive. And I'm pissed that this will take away emotional resonance from when he actually does finally die.

• Love 2

There was a full page ad in the Sunday NY Times for Danai's play. Not to be vulgar, but that's a pretty big fucking deal. This is actual Broadway, and not the basement of a church in the East Village. The show should have made more of this accomplishment, and not have to rely on YNB for a throw-away comment. Granted, it's not as impressive as Hardwick appearing at Chuckles Comedy Club in Utica, but come on show.

This!  Exactly!  I think my problem with Hardwick, ( or one of them anyway) is that impartiality is kind of lost on him.  Which I think is key when you're hosting/ moderating.  We get it,  Wil Wheaton's your best friend, you're marrying a Hearst, You've got Scott Gimpel on the speed dial.  You're the only person who ever loved Doctor Who.   It gets maddening!

The play received some really strong reviews.  I am definitely going to see it when it transfers.  It sold out too quickly at The Public Theatre, but I suspect that's due to Lupita N'yongo's casting.

• Love 3

My feelings on YNB are really a mixed bag. I loved her comment about the parallel nature of toilet-paper-last-words guy and Glenn - how the former's story was really a substitute for the latter's - and totally appreciate her researching that Glenn has never killed a human. On the other hand, I sometimes feel she's a little overrated *ducks tomatoes*, but that may be because her responses are often more volatile than my own. And I don't find it particularly charming that she gets eps 5 days in advance. Hey, I'm a great big fan too* - can I get a DVD of the season all at once? My fave guests are ones who are huge fans but also have a more circumspect view of things; i.e. I find her to aggressively push her own ponies in the race. Was she on with CM Punk a while ago? That was a good combo.

*Example: Notice that there was a sign in the pet store for "terrier puppies". Terriers are bred to dig holes in the ground to chase quarry. Kinda like how Glenn may just have dug into the ground (sewer hole, anyone?) to escape the walker horde. Huh? Huh?? (It's no Galatians, but I'm tryin' here...)

• Love 5

I like the fact that YNB seems to really care about the show - and fairly passionately at that [although could do without all the pushing of the 'Richonne' agenda] - but yeah as mentioned, her flubs of basic knowledge are a bit hard to justify when she has a big notebook full of notes and info about the show.

Messing up the first time Glenn talked to Rick and then there was another mistake, I forget what the actual mistake was, but again she was off by an episode or four.  And if not episode mistake, she also mistakenly said 'this character' did or said this, when it was actually 'that character' who did.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

On rewatch - I listened again to the producer's statement.  They talked about seeing Steve in flashbacks and "parts" of him in order to bring closure.  I felt it was clear that Glenn died - it will just take a couple of episodes to tell the story.

So that sucks.

• Love 5

People only get the episodes in advance in order to talk about the show. Yvette watches normally like the rest of us, but the powers that be would rather them have a legitimate thing to say and not just gut reactions, so they send the episodes a few days in advance.

• Love 3

Yea, I don't have a problem with that. If someone tried to interview me right after that episode aired, they'd find a mascara stained, blubbering who fool, who could only utter "It's not fair!" over and over. 

• Love 3

People only get the episodes in advance in order to talk about the show. Yvette watches normally like the rest of us, but the powers that be would rather them have a legitimate thing to say and not just gut reactions, so they send the episodes a few days in advance.

That phrase takes on an entirely different nuance in this series....

• Love 4

Hardwick has been sober for twelve years?  I had no idea.  Well I had never heard of him before TWD.  Good for him.

He was the host of Singled Out on MTV 20 years ago. I'm guessing the booze and drugs were plentiful around that scene. Good for him for 12 years of sobriety.

We all knew he'd be giving away goat cheese.

• Love 4

So... think we'll get a hint about Glen in next week's preview?

In the TTD clip, we see Deanna watch as Michonne tells Maggie that Glenn didn't make it back with them. In the post-episode preview, we saw Maggie preparing to go out as Aaron told her not to. So a hint of a hint, I guess.

Hardwick confirmed that it was Rick yelling, "Open the gate" at Alexandria. So obviously he's not stuck in the RV for long.

• Love 2

I sobbed when Charlie was killed off. I was glad that nobody else watched it with me, because I was a goner for a while after that.

LOVED Charlie and was pissed and sobbing when he died. I wanted him to live and be a little family with Claire and Aaron :(

• Love 1

I had to laugh when they were talking about people watching Talking Dead and not The Walking Dead because that's exactly what I did! I tried watching the episode, but I could not get through it. It was depressing and boring. I've never thought that before about this show and I've even watched whole seasons over again.

• Love 1

Holy moly, Breckinridge annoys me.  She's sitting there totally smug that Jessie kissed Rick, understanding full well that a not small portion of viewers ship Richonne and then being all coy about..."Oh you don't hate me?" 

Just own up that you're happy that Jessie is banging the main character and don't passive-aggressively beg for the audiences approval.

ETA: don't was important in that last sentence. LOL

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

Is the pony tail a hair piece? It's like four different colors.

I wondered about that, if it's her real hair, maybe for another show?

I laughed that she said that Jessie's parenting skills are pretty low right now.

Oh, that answers my question about the Talking Dead.  No way I can stay up till midnight to watch it live, will have to DVR.  That kind of sucks though, I like TD right after TWD.

Edited by raven
  • Love 2

Chris Hardwick wants videos of the ultimate fans?  Kinda thinking of sending one in of me on my couch, bitching and complaining and also laughing at this show...YET I KEEP WATCHING IT FAITHFULLY.  I deserve a prize!

• Love 7

Why was "Chuck" there?  CH seems to keep pimping his podcast guests to help shill their new shows.  What the hell is up with Alexandra Breckenridge's teeth?  They looked grey compared to everyone else's.  She was really playing down the kissing scene - I don't feel any chemistry between Jessie and Rick on screen and she almost telegraphs that feeling tonight on TD.  Maybe they don't like each other IRL.  *Shrug*

• Love 2

Why was "Chuck" there?  CH seems to keep pimping his podcast guests to help shill their new shows. *

Zach Levi has been on the show before, back in the first season. He's a fan of the show runs the 'nerd machine' or whatever the hell so he has more knowledge of the show than most of the guests they've had.

Alex seemed well aware that Jessie isn't liked, and her overcompensating for that made the episode real awkward. I feel like they talked about nothing the entire episode. Aaron finally gets more than a line and they barely addressed his stepping up, the guilt. I know they're avoiding the Glenn issue but they just blazed right over the whole Maggie Aaron storyline. They seemed more interested in riffing then addressing the actual episode.

• Love 5

Why was "Chuck" there? CH seems to keep pimping his podcast guests to help shill their new shows.

Why shouldn't ZL be on the show? He makes more sense than a lot of other people that have been on; he seemed to know and like the show. I was actually thinking him and YNB on the couch with Chris could be fun. (Heroes Reborn was barely mentioned and no name dropping of Geeks Who Drink, which IIRC had its fair share of TWD references.)

Eh, I think they discussed as much as they usually do. TD does skip main sections of plot from time to time. I'll be in the minority--I liked this episode of TD. They all seemed to be having fun.

• Love 4