Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Where Chris Hardwick Got His Groove Back

• Start Topic

(edited)

I hope it's Lennie James—releasing his name would spoil the surprise of Morgan's return. [Edited to add that this is not a spoiler—it's entirely wishful thinking on my part.]

Norman Reedus has been doing lots of press this week, but why wouldn't the show want to publicize his appearance? I watched Conan for the first time in ages just because he was on.

Chandler Riggs is a good guess. Unlike Norman Reedus, not many people'd tune in just to see him. So TPTB can fake us out on the whole "special guest = death." And I just remembered that last week, the Talking Dead website

was soliciting viewer questions about Carl.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 4

Every time they announce a special guest I hope it's Chandler! He's adorable and has turned into such a good actor, IMO. I would love to see him. 

I'm way past thinking a surprise guest means a death. 

Lennie James would be cool as hell too.

• Love 3

Every time they announce a special guest I hope it's Chandler! He's adorable and has turned into such a good actor, IMO. I would love to see him. 

I'm way past thinking a surprise guest means a death. 

Lennie James would be cool as hell too.

I try really hard to watch TTD the next day since I get up for work at 3am....Just watching TWD puts me at 6 hours of sleep, which of course doesn't happen because my brain is in overdrive.  I couldn't wait when Michonne was on and had little to no sleep, and if Lennie is on, who I love love love I know it'll be another looooong week.

• Love 2

Same here, ghoulina.  I never hated Carl like a lot of people did, but I do usually get annoyed by child actors.  It's not their fault that they aren't as good as the adults, but it tends to take me out of the story when they are onscreen.  I think Chandler has turned into a wonderful young actor.  I would really love to see him on Talking Dead and get his impression of things.  I think he has a great future ahead of him, even once WD ends.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, surprise no more...

AMC The Walking Dead posted a pic on their instagram, which was a repost of when Norman was on Conan, about "being suited up for Talking Dead" so I assume he's the special guest tonight. Eh.

Oh never mind.....

Edited by weightyghost

I can't handle the shirt Breckenridge is wearing under her suit coat. Every time they pan out, she looks like she's not wearing a shirt at all.

I'm mad they haven't talked about Carol yet either.

• Love 2
(edited)

I would install Kevin Smith as a permanent part of TTD.

It's funny because I don't care for any of his "Jay and Silent Bob" comedy product, but I ALWAYS find him an entertaining guest on talk shows.

ETA:  Is there anyone, anywhere, that gives a crap about Jessie?  Is she supposed to be the "special surprise guest"?

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

They still have not mentioned Morgan street. That has to be significant.

This episode is so much better than last week so far. All three guests are bringing something to the table.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hate "Comic Book Men." it's badly acted, badly scripted, and, to be honest, it's 2015. Everyone likes something nerdy, so the whole "Hey,  look at what a nerd I am! Isn't it funny that I'm a nerd? Can you believe that I'm admitting I'm a nerd? Hee hee hee!" shit hasn't been funny since maybe the early 90s. Oh, if it leads to funny jokes, then the actual jokes can be funny, but the premise itself is boring. I'm not even into comics, mainly because they're expensive as hell and seem to be 90 per cent advertising. Yet I still feel like I should on some level be offended by the patronizing air that Kevin Smith's show takes toward them. I always feel like Fouad from "Family Guy' should be wandering into each scene, saying "Oh ho ho ho! Is liking comics! Is funny because are grown men! Oh ho ho! Is grown men reading comics like children!"

Yet, Kevin did not bother me at all on TD. He was humorous when appropriate, but often thoughtful and serious, and overall just seemed like somebody who liked talking about TWD. CBM has a shallowness to it. You can tell that when the guys on that show are talking about, say, Batman, that the scene isn't about Batman. it's about them being seen talking about him. But outside of that, he was fine. I honestly felt like he likes TWD as much as we do and considered his couch time to be about it, not about him.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 5

Put me in the boat with the people who are frustrated with all the polls and quizzes. There is so much to talk about with this show and those are taking up too much time. Hardwick jumped through five questions in a heartbeat at the end, all of which could have taken up at least a half an hour of the show alone.

• Love 6

CletusMusashi, admit you're just mad that Ms. Breckenridge is wearing pants.

Her sweater almost matched her skin tone. So if you took your glasses off, she'd have looked nude under her jacket.

The panelists were good. Count me as another who isn't crazy about Kevin Smith's movies but thinks he good on this, although why was he confused about where Morgan was? Seems like something any more-than-casual-fan/ fellow-network guy ought to know.

• Love 1

I hate "Comic Book Men." it's badly acted, badly scripted, and, to be honest, it's 2015. Everyone likes something nerdy, so the whole "Hey, hey, look at what a nerd I am! Isn't it funny that I'm a nerd? Can you believe that I'm admitting I'm nerd? Hee hee hee!" shit hasn't been funny since maybe the early 90s. Oh, if it leads to funny jokes, then the actual jokes can be funny, but the premise itself is boring. I'm not even into comics, mainly because they're expensive as hell and seem to be 90 per cent advertising. Yet I still feel like I should on some level be offended by the patronizing air that Kevin Smith's show takes toward them. I always feel like Fouad from "Family Guy' should be wandering into each scene, saying "Oh ho ho ho! Is liking comics! Is funny because are grown men! Oh ho ho! Is grown men reading comics like children!"

Yet, Kevin did not bother me at all on TD. He was humorous when appropriate, but often thoughtful and serious, and overall just seemed like somebody who liked talking about TWD. CBM has a shallowness to it. You can tell that when the guys on that show are talking about, say, Batman, that the scene isn't about Batman. it's about them being seen talking about him. But outside of that, he was fine. I honestly felt like he likes TWD as much as we do and considered his couch time to be about it, not about him.

I just can't stand the one guy on Comic Book Men whose nose needs like 400 Biore strips and they close up on him way too much for the audience to realize that.

• Love 1

I thought Kevin and Chris were a little childish with the sex jokes tonight; glory holes really? Between the silliness, the polls and quizzes, we get about 5 minutes of actual intelligent conversation. I still like seeing the sneak previews, and hearing what the guests say but seeing people's tweets on how awesome the episode was and the very stupid quizzes and polls just ruins the show for me.

• Love 4

I'm a self-admitted degenerate pervert, so the sex jokes were amusing to me.

Alexandra Breckenridge is one fine woman.  As well as well spoken and gave good input.   As great as it was to see her on the show, and taking nothing away from the honor it might have been... was it really necessary to hide the fact she was going to be the actor filling out the 'panel'?   Hardwick's "... and so much for thinking 'special guest appearance' means a character dies.  Suck it!"  ha

Ross Marquand just made Aaron a guy I could stand to watch more of on TWD eps.  Cool guy.  Impressions were great and hilarious.

Kevin Smith I am aware of, but not of anything he's done.  (don't watch CBM, etc)  Funny, but seemed to hog the spotlight a bit.

• Love 3

Between what went on in the episode with Rick, and Alexandra saying on TD that Jessie would have punched Carol in the face (which makes sense for a mother whose son has been threatened and traumatized, but upset a lot of Carol fans online), I don't envy her when she gets back on her social media. To say the least.

Kevin Smith seems like one of those guys who had something to say 20 years ago, but it's somewhat tough to care now.

(edited)

Between what went on in the episode with Rick, and Alexandra saying on TD that Jessie would have punched Carol in the face (which makes sense for a mother whose son has been threatened and traumatized, but upset a lot of Carol fans online), I don't envy her when she gets back on her social media. To say the least.

Kevin Smith seems like one of those guys who had something to say 20 years ago, but it's somewhat tough to care now.

I do not agree with it, but AB will never win with TWD crowd in the social media sphere now, or forever.  'Richonne' is the new 'Olicity' (<--- used as an example), and anyone [a character] trying to mess with that will be hated and the actor will will be treated like Public Enemy #1.

This is why I don't watch a lot of TV and try to not get invested in every little thing about the shows I do watch.  I can't stand to hear about stuff that goes on in IRL, because of stuff done on shows.  I would never go after actors on social media, but I still can't help but wonder what drives a sane & balanced person to do that??  Actors only acts as directed and say lines they're given.  They don't play the character any ol' way they want.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

Add me to the list who loves Ross Marquand now that I've seen him be him. He was very cool, very funny, loved his McConanahenny. Aaron still bugs me, which is good because, hey, he's an actor! 

• Love 4
(edited)

I was a bit surprised about the (small) spoiler Kevin Smith accidentally dropped. (Not the mini-spolier itself, just that it happened.) I've only been watching week by week since the start of 5A, so I haven't seen many Talking Deads--has anyone accidentally dropped a spoiler before?

Edited by morgankobi
(edited)

I do not agree with it, but AB will never win with TWD crowd in the social media sphere now, or forever.  'Richonne' is the new 'Olicity' (<--- used as an example), and anyone [a character] trying to mess with that will be hated and the actor will will be treated like Public Enemy #1.

Olicity is a 100% canon couple (even if the show seems to mostly use Felicity as a launching pad for spinoff studs), and Felicity is seen as the voice of the audience and the show's heart by a lot of vocal fans. I'm not sure if Michonne is in the same boat, due to the show's ensemble cast and the way they bait Richonne more than make it officially canon. I tend to compare it more to Abbie and Ichabod on Sleepy Hollow, although again Abbie is the leading lady (or was, before Katrina Kill Me Now Hour). 

I do hope people do not send hate to the actress, but between the show's awful writing for this relationship, her comments about Carol, and her essentially saying she'd like to be a leading lady on the show, I wish someone was there to help her with PR...

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

I hope it's Lennie James—releasing his name would spoil the surprise of Morgan's return. [Edited to add that this is not a spoiler—it's entirely wishful thinking on my part.]

Norman Reedus has been doing lots of press this week, but why wouldn't the show want to publicize his appearance? I watched Conan for the first time in ages just because he was on.

Chandler Riggs is a good guess. Unlike Norman Reedus, not many people'd tune in just to see him. So TPTB can fake us out on the whole "special guest = death." And I just remembered that last week, the Talking Dead website

was soliciting viewer questions about Carl.

I bolded the only part I got right. Chris Hardwick flat-out said that those of us who've been saying "special guest" means somebody dies can (direct quote) "suck it."

• Love 2

Are Carol fans seriously mad at AB for saying Jessie would punch Carol in the face for terrorizing her son?  I thought it was kind of a weak answer.  if someone did that to my kid I'd cut them.

• Love 6

Are Carol fans seriously mad at AB for saying Jessie would punch Carol in the face for terrorizing her son?  I thought it was kind of a weak answer.  if someone did that to my kid I'd cut them.

Nah. Too quick.

Having THEM wake up outside the fence line tied to a tree, however - just like they told my kid....

• Love 2

I thought AB's answer was funny, since I have no doubt that Carol would take her out shortly after said punch.

• Love 2

People have already sent hate to the actress.  Before her character even showed up on the screen, she was tweeting asking for people to tone down the hate. 

I think it's unfortunate that one EP from the show has done a few interviews talking about her wishes as a fan for some of the characters.  I think they should ban people who work on the show from giving their personal opinions, because while they're fans too and they're allowed to have opinions about the show, people are going to interpret it as official word.

• Love 3

People have already sent hate to the actress.  Before her character even showed up on the screen, she was tweeting asking for people to tone down the hate. 

I think it's unfortunate that one EP from the show has done a few interviews talking about her wishes as a fan for some of the characters.  I think they should ban people who work on the show from giving their personal opinions, because while they're fans too and they're allowed to have opinions about the show, people are going to interpret it as official word.

Well Chris asked her on the Talking Dead what her character would do if she caught Carol doing that, so I don't know how she could get around it?

Well Chris asked her on the Talking Dead what her character would do if she caught Carol doing that, so I don't know how she could get around it?

I personally wouldn't have liked her character if she'd said "Oh, well, my character would have told Carol it was ok and smiled sweetly." 

I should have quoted, but I was more responding to this comment above:

In that, due to the Michonne and Rick shipping, Alexandra Breckinridge was getting hate messages before her character ever appeared on the show

• Love 2
(edited)

I personally wouldn't have liked her character if she'd said "Oh, well, my character would have told Carol it was ok and smiled sweetly." 

I should have quoted, but I was more responding to this comment above:

In that, due to the Michonne and Rick shipping, Alexandra Breckinridge was getting hate messages before her character ever appeared on the show. 

Exactly what I meant.  I know that 'Richonne' is not an official thing, but with the amount of people who seem to want it so, its officially unofficial by this point.

(I'm not a 'Richonne' shipper.  I just don't see it between them.  But I'm not going to act all superiorly snobbish and quit watching even if they go there with those characters, at some point)

• Love 1

I think she may have just been better off saying, "Jessie would be very angry." I didn't have a problem with her answer, as she even said from her own POV she understood Carol's actions, but Carol has always been such a divisive character in fandom that anything seen as an attack on her from a performer will get a backlash. I saw people saying she was attacking the Atlanta Five and she said so many bad things, etc. I don't really agree with any of that - I thought she was OK - but I think her knowing nothing about the show means she's repeatedly wandered into the minefields of crazy.

• Love 1

Alexandra Breckenridge is one fine woman.  As well as well spoken and gave good input.   As great as it was to see her on the show, and taking nothing away from the honor it might have been... was it really necessary to hide the fact she was going to be the actor filling out the 'panel'?   Hardwick's "... and so much for thinking 'special guest appearance' means a character dies.  Suck it!"  ha

I didn't understand how she qualified as a surprise guest. Usually the surprise guests are people who the people who watch the show are excited to see. Especially if it is someone who isn't on often or ever. Maybe a former cast member who still watches. That would have been a surprise. Perhaps she is popular from other projects and has a following from that. I know they mentioned American Horror Story. But the actress is completely new to me and her character is brand new. I don't care at all about her yet so I wasn't surprised and I was mildly annoyed that it wasn't someone who we already knew. But the fact that they did make it a big deal kind of added to the idea that her character is going to be a main part of the show eventually.

I did appreciate her input on the interactions her character had with Rick, though. This show has a reputation for the supposed intent of the showmakers not translating well, or at all, on screen, so I find it helps to hear what the actors were going for  at least. 

Ross Marquand is super adorable. His speaking voice is so pleasant.

I appreciated Kevin Smith's opinion on the final scene when Rick put his hand on his gun after seeing Pete and Jessie. I hadn't thought about it, but it could make sense to read it that way. Rick's possibly going all feral primitive caveman and whatnot.

AB posed with card board versions of the Grimes boys, holding Michonne's katana.

Also said she wants to be Comic book Andrea .

Which comes across as trolling to many Richonners.

Could be that, exactly.

Or, maybe, she just really likes the Rick character personally, and wants her character to be more to him than just as she has been on the show (so far).

I don't read spoilers or want to know any, but if "wanting to be CB!Andrea" is statement of longevity and not just a 'fan of the comics/series' off-hand comment, then I wouldn't hate a R/J pairing*.

* As long as Pete is out of the picture, and it isn't their doing that he's out of said picture.