Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Another update, y'all. I managed to strain a muscle in my abdomen/side right around my waistline on the left side that hurts like hell! Of course, I freaked out, thinking that I might have damaged something and made an emergency call to my surgeon. Fortunately, she reassured me that this is entirely normal since all my abdominal muscles are healing and as I feel better, I'll be pushing myself and sometimes a muscle will just go "Fuck off!" So I'm going to be a bit sore for the next week or so. Thank the gods for liquid Tylenol! 

On the plus side, I'm starting to graduate to some more foods and I'm able to tolerate things like chicken salad and well cooked, tender meat. Of course, my portion sizes look like that of a fussy toddler. Last night I had beef stew at our local dinner of which I ate two cubes of beef (maybe 2 ounces total), one chunk of potato and two bits of carrot that were very soft and tender. It was delicious and I was very satisfied but it's hysterical just how little it takes to satisfy me. Mom and I were already sharing entrees when we eat out, but a meal that used to give both of us a decent dinner now can provide us at least another meal for later. But at least I get to actually eat food now, so yay!

I decided to treat myself to something special after going through this, and made a reservation to go on a three day whale watch out of Montauk this summer. It'll be nice to get away for a bit and see some amazing wildlife and get a chance to do some nice photography. I can't wait! And I'll be considerably thinner when I go.

Thanks for the updates!  Love hearing about your (real life) progress and your renewed joy in life.  You are an inspiration.  Even if you have to shop for new bras...eeerrrgg, which I don't think many envy.  Onward!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Carboncat said:

Thanks for the updates!  Love hearing about your (real life) progress and your renewed joy in life.  You are an inspiration.  Even if you have to shop for new bras...eeerrrgg, which I don't think many envy.  Onward!

Eh, my bra money ended up going to pay for my whale watch. I can manage a week or two....

There are so many things that I wanted to do that I was holding myself back on because I was concerned about physically being able to handle them. There are quite a few trips that I have my eye on. But first things first... looking absolutely amazing at my niece's wedding next year.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I just saw a vitamin commercial and the little girl made her mother "princess toast."

We're supposed to find that commercial sweet.  Damn near makes me hurl.  And why exactly does the little urchin have access to so many sparkly forms of sugar?  And she sees said sparkly forms of sugar as love.  Are they trying to raise a poundticipant?

16 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I decided to treat myself to something special after going through this, and made a reservation to go on a three day whale watch out of Montauk this summer. It'll be nice to get away for a bit and see some amazing wildlife and get a chance to do some nice photography. I can't wait! And I'll be considerably thinner when I go.

@Hana Chan I do feel compelled to warn you.  I watched The Affair.  All kinds of debauchery goes on in Montauk.  Affairs. Drug dealing. Murders. Fathers accidentally lustfully eyeballing their daughters in hot tubs while said daughter makes out with a woman.  Waitresses saving children's lives. Cutting. Joshua Jackson giving smoldering looks.  Oh wait, the last one is a reason to go to Montauk!

• LOL 6
8 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

We're supposed to find that commercial sweet.  Damn near makes me hurl.  And why exactly does the little urchin have access to so many sparkly forms of sugar?  And she sees said sparkly forms of sugar as love.  Are they trying to raise a poundticipant?

@Hana Chan I do feel compelled to warn you.  I watched The Affair.  All kinds of debauchery goes on in Montauk.  Affairs. Drug dealing. Murders. Fathers accidentally lustfully eyeballing their daughters in hot tubs while said daughter makes out with a woman.  Waitresses saving children's lives. Cutting. Joshua Jackson giving smoldering looks.  Oh wait, the last one is a reason to go to Montauk!

We went whale-watching in 2000 when my son was an ocean-creatures fanatic.  Spent that morning on tour of Alcatraz.  It was July, I was dumb enough to wear shorts, and smart enough to wear a sweatshirt.  We saw dozens of gray whales swimming and spouting from the lighthouse at Point Reyes.  The water sparkled. We explored tide pools with starfish and shellfish.  Also, though, the wind sandblasted any exposed skin and made walking difficult.  

That said, we are all lucky to experience the wonders of this world.  Enjoy!, Hana Chan.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday!  Make sure you eat a paczki! 

Going to try to give up the smokes for Lent.  Haven't done this before, because I knew I couldn't.  I know it will be tough, but I don't want to hear my own whiny excuses.  Smoking a whole pack now....

• Love 7

Good luck, Carboncat! I used to smoke a half a pack a day. I'm down to three cigarettes per day now because I live with an asthmatic and I have to go outside to smoke. I quit bringing my cigarettes to work so I wouldn't be tempted to take smoke breaks.

OK, which one of us had the quote about watching show about people doing disgusting stuff and chatting about it with strangers? I thought that was brilliant.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

OK, which one of us had the quote about watching show about people doing disgusting stuff and chatting about it with strangers? I thought that was brilliant.

Pepper Mostly in the most recent live chat.  And yeah.

I must add that Dr. Now as Deep Thoat waiting in the under bowels of an emergency room entrance was equally inspired.  

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Going to try to give up the smokes for Lent.  Haven't done this before, because I knew I couldn't.  I know it will be tough, but I don't want to hear my own whiny excuses.  Smoking a whole pack now....

Fantastic! That's probably one of the best things that you can do for yourself! 

Just be prepared to wash everything in your closet, because once you give up smoking, you'll be shocked at just how much the smoke clings to everything you own.

• Love 7

Someone in last week’s live chat wondered if deep-fried grapes were a thing. They are — I’ve had them. They weren’t as good I expected, although part of that was because they were a garnish on a bowl of soup at a fancy restaurant, and half the breading was therefore kind of soggy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/23/2020 at 12:15 AM, Carboncat said:

Oh, but husband-snoring is actually how I joined the Pounders!  Onto the couch, alarm clock set,  "Law and Order" is not actually on 24/7---there are gaps.  So....I discovered TLC, and you know the rest 

You know, I never thought of watching Law and Order reruns to help induce sleep. I usually watch something on Investigation Discovery Channel, and I worry what listening to murderers and serial killers in my sleep are doing to my sub conscious! 

But I think that watching old 600 Lb Life reruns would work because their voices are so sonorous. 

Thanks, gang! Now I don't need to worry about being on Hometown Homicide anytime soon!

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • LOL 4
26 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

You know, I never thought of watching Law and Order reruns to help induce sleep. I usually watch something on investigation Discovery Channel, and I worry what listening to murderers and serial killers in my sleep is doing to my sub conscious! 

But I think that watching old 600 Lb Life reruns would work because their voices are so sonorous. 

Thanks, gang! Now I don't need to worry about being on Hometown Homicide anytime soon 

I see I'm not the only one using the ID channel for sleep purposes! I fall asleep to ID and wake up to it; I need the noise to help me sleep.  I have tinnitus and need some level of noise to balance the ringing in my ears, which is 24/7/365.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Friday said:

I see I'm not the only one using the ID channel for sleep purposes! I fall asleep to ID and wake up to it; I need the noise to help me sleep.  I have tinnitus and need some level of noise to balance the ringing in my ears, which is 24/7/365.

I'm also someone with constant tinnitus.  My sleep is accompanied by Harry Potter audiobooks.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Friday said:

I usually turn on MSNBC and fall asleep to the dulcet tones of Rachel Maddow. 

Those of you who fall asleep to ID channel will enjoy this. My son's gf posted it the other day: 

87178990_1082407732110376_6255413682423988224_n.jpg

• LOL 14
  • Love 4

I fall asleep and stay asleep to one of those ghost hunting shows. But yea occasionally I "hear" things in my house when I wake up to go to the bathroom. But nothing scary since I don't think my house is haunted. Can't do murder when I'm trying to sleep for some reason, can do it when I'm working around the house. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Those of you who fall asleep to ID channel will enjoy this. My son's gf posted it the other day: 

Funny AND true!!!

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Friday said:

I bought a "sound machine " from Walmart  for under $10. It has a choice of  ocean  waves, rainstorm,  white noise, and  something else.  I use the ocean setting.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Our cable dropped ID and I miss it all the time. 

14 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

In motel rooms ....Forensic Files. 

For me that is good sleeping TV. Something about that man's voice. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

In motel rooms ....Forensic Files. 

We sleep to Forensics Files, too.  Unfortunately, I sometimes wake to the annoying voice of Robyn Meade / Reade? in the morning.    The good thing about FF is that I have seen all of the episodes so I now know how they all end--if I can remember.   I met up a few years ago with a childhood friend who lives in another state, and somehow the subject of FF came up.  They also sleep to it.  I think it was yesterday they had the story about the Excederin murderess on which I sometimes confuse with the Tylenol case.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

For me that is good sleeping TV. Something about that man's voice. 

I know. The narrator of FF was the late Peter Thomas.

A few years ago I visited the WWI museum in Kansas City. There's an introductory video. As soon as I walked into the area where it was playing, I recognized the narrator's voice: Peter Thomas, of course. 

• Love 3

So I missed the Live Chat again with the discussion of studying Latin.  I made it from freshman year to Vergil, but I loved it because I pretended I was solving coded messages.  Also it was really easy for me (unlike French and organic chemistry).

We had a huge poster in the classroom with a farmer holding what looked like a coke bottle with the motto: Drink Agri-cola--the farmer's drink."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I bought a "sound machine " from Walmart  for under $10. It has a choice of  ocean  waves, rainstorm,  white noise, and  something else.  I use the ocean setting.  

I got a white noise machine just recently, so I don't have to hear the dreadful channel my sister listens to, early weekend mornings.
I use the fan setting.

• Love 2

Since my husband's medical issues, the WWI museum in KC is on our list of close enough to home road trips, since I have to do all the highway driving.  Though we still haven't figured out the motel room issues. 

As silly as it sounds, we want to do a loop that goes to Pawhuska, OK, with several side stops on the way and back.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Since my husband's medical issues, the WWI museum in KC is on our list of close enough to home road trips, since I have to do all the highway driving.  Though we still haven't figured out the motel room issues.

As silly as it sounds, we want to do a loop that goes to Pawhuska, OK, with several side stops on the way and back.

Doesn't sound silly at all to me. Road trips close to home can be fun.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Oh, cool. I hope you get to do that. I had to stop and think how long ago I was at that WWI museum. Gosh, it was in June 2014, so nearly six years ago. I was impressed.

I was sort of passing through the KC area on a road trip. Spent a couple of nights, staying out in Independence, because I wanted to visit the Truman Presidential Library. (I've only visited two presidential libraries so far; I nurture hopes of visiting more before long.) I ended up also exploring the city a bit and ended up at the WWI museum. I'm so glad. Definitely worth the visit. I had a good lunch in the museum cafe. And I rode the elevator up to the top of the tower, which I recommend. 

Before moving on to KC, on that trip I spent a couple of nights in Abilene, Kansas. That's where the Eisenhower Presidential Library is. It's really quite a large complex of buildings, including his boyhood home - in its original location, no less. I was there on the weekend that included June 6 - yes, the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion. There were big doings at the Eisenhower library that weekend. I was so glad to be able to schedule my visit for that time. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I've only visited two presidential libraries so far; I nurture hopes of visiting more before long

A woman I used to work with had a hobby of visiting every Presidential library.     She only had a couple left to visit, the last time I heard.     She really enjoyed the Eisenhower one.    

• Love 2

I visited the Eisenhower complex in Abilene, years ago, can't remember what all was there.
Dodge City isn't that far, and there's the Truman Library et al, in Independence.  Never been there.
I don't think I've visited any but the Ike one.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:56 PM, Twopper said:

We sleep to Forensics Files, too.  Unfortunately, I sometimes wake to the annoying voice of Robyn Meade / Reade? in the morning.    The good thing about FF is that I have seen all of the episodes so I now know how they all end--if I can remember.   I met up a few years ago with a childhood friend who lives in another state, and somehow the subject of FF came up.  They also sleep to it.  I think it was yesterday they had the story about the Excederin murderess on which I sometimes confuse with the Tylenol case.

Heh heh, I fall asleep to Forensic Files all the time too! Also, like you, there's just something about Robyn Meade that makes my teeth itch although she seems like a really nice person. Maybe it's that my grumpy self feels that no one should ever be that perky first thing in the morning. Definitely her super chipper "Good Morning Sunshine!" makes me want to throw a brick through my tv screen.

• LOL 2
(edited)

I didn't  even know that  there IS a WWI museum! I'll have to  check it out.  

I've been to the  D-Day Memorial in  Bedford,  Virginia.  Pretty intense. 

Edited by Colleenna
Corrected from WWI memorial to museum
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I didn't  even know that  there IS a WWI museum! I'll have to  check it out.  

I've been to the  D-Day Memorial in  Bedford,  Virginia.  Pretty intense. 

The Korean War Memorial on the Mall in DC is unique and impressive. Often forgotten because it is near the Lincoln Memorial.

More recently,  I am forever haunted by the 9/11 Memorial at the Pentagon.  The individual markers are arranged by age.  There were little ones on the plane.

43 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

The Korean War Memorial on the Mall in DC is unique and impressive. Often forgotten because it is near the Lincoln Memorial.

When we were there, an official guide (National Park Ranger, I think) was available, and NO ONE else wanted to hear his presentation.  So we had a private tour guide for over half an hour, explaining the entire Korean War Memorial to us.  I still have goose bumps, just reliving that precious memory while describing it here.  He told us a couple of stories that had us in tears.

Definitely one of the least-known war memorials . . . but worth a bit of exploration.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

When we were there, an official guide (National Park Ranger, I think) was available, and NO ONE else wanted to hear his presentation.  So we had a private tour guide for over half an hour, explaining the entire Korean War Memorial to us.  I still have goose bumps, just reliving that precious memory while describing it here.  He told us a couple of stories that had us in tears.

Definitely one of the least-known war memorials . . . but worth a bit of exploration.

The Vietnam  Women's  Memorial was incredibly moving to  me. Again, one of the least known. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

The Vietnam  Women's  Memorial was incredibly moving to  me. Again, one of the least known. 

The Nurse's Corner?   I would agree. It is stunning.

Though entire Women in Military Service for America Memorial Building near the entrance of Arlington National Cemetery is a complete afterthought.   My testimonial is hidden somewhere in the archives.  

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Though entire Women in Military Service for America Memorial Building near the entrance of Arlington National Cemetery is a complete afterthought.   My testimonial is hidden somewhere in the archives.

Woman in the military during Desert Storm. Not a nurse.  We did other things.

Flightline, keeping jets in the air. And I didn't do that either, but the equipment that the flightline used.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 6
(edited)

We can't forget the women who stepped up and took the jobs, and then didn't want to go back to housework during WWII.

Sorry for swaying so far off topic. I ate too many grapes, the gateway fruit.

Edited by nokat
Way off topic
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Mine too. Charter member.  

And not all the  women who  served in country in VN were nurses. Intelligence  specialists  come immediately to  mind.

Edited by Colleenna
Additional information
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, nokat said:

We can't forget the women who stepped up and took the jobs, and then didn't want to go back to housework during WWII.

Sorry for swaying so far off topic. I ate too many grapes, the gateway fruit.

It's cool. This is the small talk topic where we can wander all over. Thank goodness. 

• Love 2

Ooh, I love this 😊 

About 7 or so years ago, I worked at a retirement home. There I met a lady named (somewhat ironically considering our last poundticipant) Seóna, originally from Scotland. Have you ever met someone who just had that light inside? That was her. She went paragliding in her 70’s. She had the sharpest wit. 

She worked as a radar specialist for RAF during WW2. When they were evacuated for the Blitz to the countryside, she helped deliver a baby in a barn. She once went to a communist rally (even though her “parents would have been severely disapproved”) just to see what all the fuss was about. 

She passed away at 89. 

• Love 7

Time for another update, y'all. I'm fully on solid food and my portion sizes would have a kindergartner crying over being starved, but I'm okay with that. Last night's dinner was a pork tenderloin, new potatoes (each about the size or a marble) and creamed spinach. I ate two slices of pork (maybe 2-3 ozs), two potatoes and about a tablespoon or so of spinach and I was very satisfied. Am really learning what my comfort zone is food-wise and how not to get sidetracked into eating more than I should.

Weight-wise, I'm down 17lbs from my pre-surgery weight one month ago and 30lbs total so far. I'm a bit in between sizes now, which can be frustrating but I was able to fit into a size 18 regular slacks (not plus sized) and I know that these pants might last me a month or so. I got a little frustrated shopping because I would have liked to have gotten into a size 16 but I'm trying to tell myself that it's only been a little while and I have to keep my expectations about weight loss within reason. As of today, I'm one month post-op and my weight loss is very noticeable. I just need to keep on track and the weight will come off. Especially once I get the go ahead to increase my exercise.

In the meantime, I've got quite a bit of clothing for the charity bag. I refuse to hang onto anything that I can no longer wear.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Time for another update, y'all. I'm fully on solid food

Thanks for keeping us updated. That dinner sounded really good. Hasn't had creamed spinach in a while and now I'm hungry. So happy you are doing well.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Mine too. Charter member.  

And not all the  women who  served in country in VN were nurses. Intelligence  specialists  come immediately to  mind.

During basic, one of our company officers served in VN as an enlisted service member.  She helped built telephone poles and lines throughout the country.  Certainly a unique assignment.  She then went to OCS.

My husband served two tours in country as a counter intellegence officer.

The Nurse's statue I was referring to is located in a corner of the Viet Nam Memorial.  

• Love 3