Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

Hi all! I know that I kind of dropped off the face of the planet, but things have finally started calming down on my end. Just wanted to give a quick update.

Thanks for the update!!!!  I thought about you the other day and hoped that you were doing okay.

• Love 2

@Hana Chan - wonderful to hear from you!! Thanks for checking in and giving us the update. Woo hoo on the weight loss, and on how you've navigated your post-op life through severely NOT-normal times and challenges!

• Love 2
(edited)

If anyone is looking for workouts that are easy and don't require equipment try Darebee.com. It gives you more workout routines than you can possibly imagine, challenges and recipes, all for free and using only body weight. 

It's making me miss my gym just a little less. And who knew not sitting at a regulation chair and a regulation desk could mess up your shoulder? Posture is important, mom was right.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Someone make me stop. A bacon and egg biscuit from McDonalds this morning. I know better than this.

I baked cranberry orange muffins.  Then I ate half of them.  With my beloved Kerrygold butter.  I know better too.  Carbs are NOT my friend.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

I want to eat with all y'all. I'm getting hungry.

Ate grilled cheese for lunch. Will do vegetables for dinner.

• Love 3

My smoke detector is keeping me awake. No fire, or smoke, so it must be the smell of grease and freedom from the fast food I've eaten in the past two days. I should eat an orange.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, nokat said:

My smoke detector is keeping me awake. No fire, or smoke, so it must be the smell of grease and freedom from the fast food I've eaten in the past two days. I should eat an orange.

I've had mine go off from a teeny little spider who set up shop inside my smoke detector. Usually at 3 am. When I have to get up at 6.

Just stay way from the grapes! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

While preparing tomorrow's weekly Instacart order, for reasons best left unsaid, I checked to see if they had any canned shrimp.

What came up in the search was a lot of different cat food.  Thought all the cat lovers here would approve.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I'm off my fast food binge and back to eating healthfully. I'm also looking forward to tonight's live chat. Watching the poundicipants always helps me choose to eat better.

I also don't know how they can eat the way they do, because my body was not happy with me, and I wasn't eating near the number of calories, just more sugar, grease and salt than I'm used to. I know how to cook healthy, tasty food and just didn't want to for a few days.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nokat said:

I'm off my fast food binge and back to eating healthfully. I'm also looking forward to tonight's live chat. Watching the poundicipants always helps me choose to eat better.

Congratulations!  I'm still not there yet. Unfortunately my body happily tolerates mass quantities of unhealthy foods.  Since we were supposed to be on a plane across the ocean last night and with our families today I'm giving myself yet another day off.  Maybe seeing tonight's poundticipants will provide me with some much needed motivation.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nokat said:

Good for you!

17 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

Congratulations!  I'm still not there yet. Unfortunately my body happily tolerates mass quantities of unhealthy foods.  Since we were supposed to be on a plane across the ocean last night and with our families today I'm giving myself yet another day off.  Maybe seeing tonight's poundticipants will provide me with some much needed motivation.

I'm not off all the junk food either though I'm eating healthy stuff too. I'm sorry about your trip. Not being able to travel now - and not knowing when I'll be able to again - has been bringing me down.

Speaking of being down, I don't know if I'll join tonight's live chat. I remember this family from their original episode, not with any fondness. If I can find something better to do, I'll pass on the chat. I realize that the episode isn't the reason I participate, it's all of you Pounders who bring such great snark and interesting comments. 

Decisions, decisions. . . 

• Love 3
(edited)

Join us for the chat.    You never know when one of the three tonight will change, and improve.   And if they don't, then that's on them.     You never know when Dr. Now will have more bling on the stethoscope , or Cassandra the nurse will say something cute.   

Maybe that cute Dr. Edder will make an appearance.  Also, one sister did a great job, the brother seemed to be turning it around, and the other sister had the best hissy fits.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)
On 5/17/2020 at 8:30 AM, Chicklet said:

I've had mine go off from a teeny little spider who set up shop inside my smoke detector. Usually at 3 am. When I have to get up at 6.

I usually tell any spiders I encounter inside my house that they may stay as long I never see them in my bed, on kitchen counters or tables, or in the bathrooms.  And they have to eat insects, as many as they possibly can.  They are usually very polite and understanding and stay out of sight except for one that set up shop right under the garage door opener in the garage, which always greets me when I open the door and scurries away immediately after.   So sorry you got such an ill-mannered one!  

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Hellga said:

I usually tell any spiders I encounter inside my house that they may stay as long I never see them in my bed, on kitchen counters or tables, or in the bathrooms.  And they have to eat insects, as many as they possibly can.  They are usually very polite and understanding and stay out of sight except for one that set up shop right under the garage door opener in the garage, which always greets me when I open the door and scurries away immediately after.   So sorry you got such an ill-mannered one!

Spiders are very good at eating insects, and I don't bother them for the most part unless cleaning up old cobwebs or shooing them out of smoke detectors. But, I woke up to one of the wolf spiders on my pillow staring at me. I shudder still thinking about it. They like to hang out in piles of paper or in sheets. They will bite too.

• Love 1

Spiders don't usually bother me unless its a 6 pound wolf spider (I kid), but I was weeding on my hands and knees once and eventually looked up and saw this in my face- I screamed.

2009-09-02-Yuba City-002-Tomato Hornworm.jpg

2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Spiders don't usually bother me unless its a 6 pound wolf spider (I kid), but I was weeding on my hands and knees once and eventually looked up and saw this in my face- I screamed.

2009-09-02-Yuba City-002-Tomato Hornworm.jpg

I don’t blame you one bit! The black dots look like holes and I can’t look at it, makes me feel weird. 

What is that anyway?

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hi there @Jeeves! I always had that sickening "Danger, Danger, Danger!" feeling when it comes to Steven Assanti. He's a cruel, depraved and amoral creature; I refuse to call him a human being.

Do you know which of the Assanti episodes TLC will be showing? The only thing I would like to see again is the scene where Dr. Now confronts Steven with a report that shows how he had visited dozens of doctors, emergency rooms and, pharmacies in just 30 days to obtain thousands of pain pills. Asking you as an attorney, didn't he break multiple state and federal laws and committed multiple felonies? It still pisses me off that he wasn't arrested, prosecuted and sent to prison. Yeah, he's big and stinky as Hell but dammit put his ass in a protective custody cell on 23 hour lockdown. Disgraceful that Texas of all places let him get away with that shit.

Bringing this over from the One Ton Family WATN discussion.

My personal/professional involvement with criminal law was at least one geological age ago. But. If the guy didn't forge the scrips, or steal the drugs, or sell the drugs, he's not likely to be on law enforcement radar. In my experience, people get in criminal trouble for (1) forging scrips or committing big time fraud like fraudulent IDs to obtain/fill scrips; (2) stealing the drugs including paying with bad checks or stolen credit cards; or (3) selling the drugs. And, sadly, they tended to be addicts themselves.

I'm sure there are exceptions and Assanti may have violated some laws, but AFAIK the law gives doctors a pretty wide berth to write prescriptions. I don't think many prosecutors want to get into a legal fight with a doctor over whether they shoulda written a certain scrip; they have better use for their time and resources. (Docs do get prosecuted for running prescription mills or doing big time insurance fraud, examples of the bigger fish that prosecutors have to fry, than a guy playing the system to get himself a lotta drugs.)

This has reminded me of a case from I swear, 40 years ago, that I had as a public defender. My client was a 20-something black man, charged with illegal possession of narcotics. Because? He was at home recovering from a badly broken leg, when the cops executed a search warrant on the place (not aimed at him but someone else there). The cops apparently came up empty on the object(s) of their search, but seized his Tylenol 3 pills, which had been issued to him by the city hospital when he was discharged with his leg in a cast. That was the narcotic drug he was charged with illegally possessing!!!  (ETA: I can't remember but I think they may have actually seized it in the prescription bottle. SMH. Anyway he had a copy of the prescription, was in a cast, and that bottle was the only narcotic in the house.)

Now, our DA's office was generally more enlightened than that (which is one reason why the case sticks in my memory), but IMO the cops were so frustrated that they hadn't caught their fish, they must have figured they could get somewhere by laying a felony charge on this young man, and the DA played along. Yes, I got the case dismissed pretty fast. Hell, the judge was so conservative it wasn't funny, but he dismissed the case although I could see it pained him to go against the DA. Heh. It was such a textbook case of racial/socioeconomic prejudice (and cop frustration) in action that it's remained in my memory all this time.  

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 5/20/2020 at 9:53 AM, nokat said:

I also don't know how they can eat the way they do, because my body was not happy with me, and I wasn't eating near the number of calories, just more sugar, grease and salt than I'm used to. I know how to cook healthy, tasty food and just didn't want to for a few days.

So, how is life without grease and freedom going?  😉

• LOL 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Eating a cup of brown rice with some tomato and pepper, so thumbs up.

The rice is probably not on Dr. Now's list, but it wasn't fraiiiid rice. As long as I stay with brown rice with some veggies.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

You staying on track too?

I've been sitting and eating way too much so no judgment.

Edited by nokat
(edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 8:43 AM, Jeeves said:

Bringing this over from the One Ton Family WATN discussion.

My personal/professional involvement with criminal law was at least one geological age ago. But. If the guy didn't forge the scrips, or steal the drugs, or sell the drugs, he's not likely to be on law enforcement radar. In my experience, people get in criminal trouble for (1) forging scrips or committing big time fraud like fraudulent IDs to obtain/fill scrips; (2) stealing the drugs including paying with bad checks or stolen credit cards; or (3) selling the drugs. And, sadly, they tended to be addicts themselves.

I'm sure there are exceptions and Assanti may have violated some laws, but AFAIK the law gives doctors a pretty wide berth to write prescriptions. I don't think many prosecutors want to get into a legal fight with a doctor over whether they shoulda written a certain scrip; they have better use for their time and resources. (Docs do get prosecuted for running prescription mills or doing big time insurance fraud, examples of the bigger fish that prosecutors have to fry, than a guy playing the system to get himself a lotta drugs.)

This has reminded me of a case from I swear, 40 years ago, that I had as a public defender. My client was a 20-something black man, charged with illegal possession of narcotics. Because? He was at home recovering from a badly broken leg, when the cops executed a search warrant on the place (not aimed at him but someone else there). The cops apparently came up empty on the object(s) of their search, but seized his Tylenol 3 pills, which had been issued to him by the city hospital when he was discharged with his leg in a cast. That was the narcotic drug he was charged with illegally possessing!!!  (ETA: I can't remember but I think they may have actually seized it in the prescription bottle. SMH. Anyway he had a copy of the prescription, was in a cast, and that bottle was the only narcotic in the house.)

Now, our DA's office was generally more enlightened than that (which is one reason why the case sticks in my memory), but IMO the cops were so frustrated that they hadn't caught their fish, they must have figured they could get somewhere by laying a felony charge on this young man, and the DA played along. Yes, I got the case dismissed pretty fast. Hell, the judge was so conservative it wasn't funny, but he dismissed the case although I could see it pained him to go against the DA. Heh. It was such a textbook case of racial/socioeconomic prejudice (and cop frustration) in action that it's remained in my memory all this time.  

Well dammit @Jeeves, that is one amazing and thorough response! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I saw this earlier and no way was I gonna reply with just a "Gee, thanks!" 

My totally imaginary law degree was obviously completely insufficient to think of all the legal ins and outs regarding what could/should have happened to Steven. I guess sometimes it's hard for me to stomach that someone could so blatantly flaunt the law and get away with what he did but, because of your explanation, I totally get how local authorities have to prioritize who they go after and save their resources for the worst of the worst. Steven may be definitely is a depraved, pill popping (and probably selling as well), creepy POS but El Chapo he ain't. It just pisses me off that I'm sure this wasn't the first time he's gotten away with something shady, and it won't be the last.

The Stevens of this world and your story about your client took me back to my years growing up in inner city Washington, D.C. At that time heroin was king in D.C. but unfortunately there wasn't the compassionate "prison-isn't-the-answer" and "addicts are victims and need help" approaches that we see in our society today and for damn sure it was not declared to be an Opioid Crisis back then. Nope, it was the declaration of the failed War on Drugs when addicts weren't seen as being sick or needing help; Hell, they weren't even called addicts, just low life junkies and criminals. The answer then was to round 'em up, lock 'em up and throw away the key. Only concerned activists, especially recovering addicts, in our various communities gave a damn.

I commend you for defending that young man's rights and was so glad to know that there even were enlightened DAs that long ago. I suppose we should be grateful that enough of the "right" people are becoming addicts these days and that our law enforcement and criminal justice system are beginning to take a more sensible approach to what is, and has always been, a public health crisis.

Thanks also for moving your answer over to the right topic.

Stay safe and take care.💖

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Clarification.
  • Love 6
(edited)

Assante would have been caught had he lived in MD, VA, WV, NJ ( I don't pay attention to the states unless I get a positive result)  since all pharmacists have to report narcotics scripts to the State Health Depts and they are all tied together in a central database. Every provider and pharmacist has to query that database before writing or filling those scripts. And we catch people all the time doctor hopping, and we have much less forging of scripts after this program was instituted. So providers and patients get nailed if they write or attempt to fill too many scripts. 

Not sure if Texas has a program like this as Dr. Now could have caught him fast if it did. But Texas does its own thing and who knows. I love an example of Texas' great ideas- I had a patient who was getting a controlled substance filled from a pharmacy in Texas and I was trying to get it delivered to the office so it wouldn't sit in the patient's mailbox. Oh no they said, has to be delivered to the patient or a FedEx satellite. Which happened to be a Walgreens photo center. Total sense.

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I wonder how bad a crime Steven would have to commit for the police to want to bother dealing with taking him to jail... I mean, just the physical logistics, not even considering his...let's say "difficult" personality. I could see a cop looking at him and deciding it's not worth it just for scamming pills or whatever, or even small-time selling of them.

• Love 2

After all these years of watching the show I briefly heard Dr Now explain in a recent episode his weight loss method. F A T. I started a few weeks ago and have lost weight easily without feeling hunger or cravings. It helps that I already had the A and the T in place. So I just had to implement the F. 

I am not a big eater and even though I have a disorder that causes weight gain, I always wondered why I couldn't lose weight because I am very disciplined in my eating. 

The show has not been very gratifying lately so at least I got something out of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Assante would have been caught had he lived in MD, VA, WV, NJ ( I don't pay attention to the states unless I get a positive result)  since all pharmacists have to report narcotics scripts to the State Health Depts and they are all tied together in a central database. Every provider and pharmacist has to query that database before writing or filling those scripts. And we catch people all the time doctor hopping, and we have much less forging of scripts after this program was instituted. So providers and patients get nailed if they write or attempt to fill too many scripts. 

Not sure if Texas has a program like this as Dr. Now could have caught him fast if it did. But Texas does its own thing and who knows. I love an example of Texas' great ideas- I had a patient who was getting a controlled substance filled from a pharmacy in Texas and I was trying to get it delivered to the office so it wouldn't sit in the patient's mailbox. Oh no they said, has to be delivered to the patient or a FedEx satellite. Which happened to be a Walgreens photo center. Total sense.

Dr. Now actually did confront the beast in his hospital bed with the state's 30 day report of his (Steven's) illicit actvities. Apparently in Texas, and probably in many other states, while they do have mechanisms in place to track this behavior, reports are only generated and distributed every 30 days.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder how bad a crime Steven would have to commit for the police to want to bother dealing with taking him to jail... I mean, just the physical logistics, not even considering his...let's say "difficult" personality. I could see a cop looking at him and deciding it's not worth it just for scamming pills or whatever, or even small-time selling of them.

Hahaha, fortunately here in the great Commonwealth of Virginia we will find a way to snatch yo ass and get you to the courthouse on time, weight be damned, as in the case of 900 pound Kenneth Hicks of Emporia, Virginia. The authorities actually cut a hole in the side of his trailer, along with some trees, hoisted him out and medically transported him to court in Richmond. As for jail time, he later pleaded guilty to what was described as cocaine charges and HAS to serve a mandatory minimum sentence of five years. Here's the story:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/13/900-pound-drug-suspect-had-hole-cut-in-home-to-get-to-court/

Yeah, it was cocaine in the above case however but I would definitely advise Steven to keep his pill shopping, ample behind out of Virginia. Compared to the other two jurisdictions in the DMV (Maryland and Washington, D.C.), arrests, prosecutions and punishments in Virginia can be just a tad more severe.

Edited to add: I have to give blame credit where credit is due to @GiantMisfit for first bringing this story to our attention elsewhere on this forum.😁

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 4

I'm glad @Chicklet and @DC Gal in VA have updated my comments about the criminal law system and prescription shopping for narcotics. As noted, my hands on experience in the criminal system was long ago. In state criminal court we usually saw people charged with possession of heroin, cocaine, and other street drugs. Prescription drugs seemed to appear in criminal cases where, as I mentioned, there were things like theft, forgery, or attempts to illegally sell them. But that was a few generations ago.

It's good to learn that there are tracking systems in place for narcotics scrips. I'd like to think that the justice system's first reaction to patients gaming the system for extra drugs, would be treatment vs. incarceration. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

As for jail time, he later pleaded guilty to what was described as cocaine charges and HAS to serve a mandatory minimum sentence of five years. 

He's going to be held in a "secure medical facility."  Wow.  I'd love to see him shipped to St. Joseph's hospital in Houston so Dr. Now can be his "warden."  That dude would NOT weigh 900 pounds when he got out.

On the other hand, I'm figuring he'll have a lawsuit against the secure medical facility within two weeks if they don't give him enough to eat.

• LOL 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

He's going to be held in a "secure medical facility."  Wow.  I'd love to see him shipped to St. Joseph's hospital in Houston so Dr. Now can be his "warden."  That dude would NOT weigh 900 pounds when he got out.

On the other hand, I'm figuring he'll have a lawsuit against the secure medical facility within two weeks if they don't give him enough to eat.

Hahaha, what I'd like to know is whether he will have a room (cell?) all to himself? If not, can you imagine the reaction of his roommate when he first lays eyes/gets a whiff of him? Even the most hard core criminal would drop to his knees in tears and beg for a transfer!😆 Or maybe he'll be in an open ward type of situation. BTW, I don't even want to know how they'll handle shower day.😕

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hahaha, what I'd like to know is whether he will have a room (cell?) all to himself? If not, can you imagine the reaction of his roommate when he first lays eyes/gets a whiff of him? Even the most hard core criminal would drop to his knees in tears and beg for a transfer!😆 Or maybe he'll be in an open ward type of situation. BTW, I don't even want to know how they'll handle shower day.😕

Ok I'm going to hell but when you mentioned showers I flashed to the "bathing the elephants" episode of one of the Zoo shows. Long handled brushes and a hose would work.

• LOL 4
8 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Ok I'm going to hell but when you mentioned showers I flashed to the "bathing the elephants" episode of one of the Zoo shows. Long handled brushes and a hose would work.

Tee hee @Chicklet maybe they'll also need to re-enact the genius hack of poundticipant Nicole's Merry Band of Bastards when they hosed her down outside on their back porch!☺

• Love 3
On 5/22/2020 at 7:58 PM, nokat said:

You staying on track too?

I've been sitting and eating way too much so no judgment.

I did eat an entire tube, in one afternoon, of Cheese Pringles a few weeks ago.  Other than that moment of joy, we've been doing great.  I think having to cook healthy for two helps a lot.

• Love 3

Ten years ago, the Style Network had a show called Too Fat for 15. One of the participants was a boy from Athens, Illinois who weighed 366 pounds at 13. Scott Basso dropped more than 100 pounds at a diet and exercise school. Now a decade later, he’s gained it all back and weighs close to 600 pounds. He might be a great candidate for My 600 pound Life because the earlier footage could bolster the how did I get here segment. He’s a well spoken young man, a college graduate, but is losing the battle to super morbid obesity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Concerned said:

Ten years ago, the Style Network had a show called Too Fat for 15. One of the participants was a boy from Athens, Illinois who weighed 366 pounds at 13. Scott Basso dropped more than 100 pounds at a diet and exercise school. Now a decade later, he’s gained it all back and weighs close to 600 pounds. He might be a great candidate for My 600 pound Life because the earlier footage could bolster the how did I get here segment. He’s a well spoken young man, a college graduate, but is losing the battle to super morbid obesity.

I think that would be a good show. He understands the hard work and that there is no "magic" involved.

(edited)

There was another kid on the show, his family fund raised, and sent him to school (it was a boarding school, and I think had a summer camp too).   At the end the kid had lost virtually nothing, and when the family had the last fundraising dinner, almost no one came.     So I guess that happens at all of the weight loss programs, people just don't try, and expect the magic weight loss to happen without effort by them.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My company carries puzzles and the stores were selling out.

(Hopefully they don't just let the system auto-replenish them based on sales criteria when this all dies down or they're gonna be inundated with stock that won't sell later.)

I'm  actually  doing jigsaw puzzles on the internet.  I swore I would  never do that.  But with the  gym closed, I'm  bored out of my mind.  I'm  reading a book  every other day,  surfing the  web, watching TV, but 90% of what's  on TV doesn't interest me. So jigsaw puzzles  it is. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I'm  actually  doing jigsaw puzzles on the internet.  I swore I would  never do that.  But with the  gym closed, I'm  bored out of my mind.  I'm  reading a book  every other day,  surfing the  web, watching TV, but 90% of what's  on TV doesn't interest me. So jigsaw puzzles  it is. 

Go running outside.  Just don't trip on a curb like an idiot and break your hip or this will be you.  Picture courtesy of Mrs. Formerly Heavy J.  

owwww-mah-leg.jpg

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Me, too. I use JigsawExplorer.com. I set it to the maximum number of pieces (usually in the 1000-1100 range) so it keeps me occupied for days sometimes. There are tons of puzzles (including "mystery" puzzles that don't show you the whole picture) and you can also upload your own pictures. I don't have space to do real puzzles in my house. One thing that makes them harder is the colors appear to change depending on the angle of my screen, so sometimes a piece by itself looks lighter or darker than the section it ends up going in until it's actually placed there. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

I had a taste of grease and freedom tonight. A Popeye’s opened about 5 minutes from my house. My taste buds said, “Love that chicken from Popeye’s.” My thighs said, “This is not a good sitchiachin.”

Edited by ShoePrincess
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5
On 5/29/2020 at 8:18 AM, FormeryHeavyJ said:

Go running outside.  Just don't trip on a curb like an idiot and break your hip or this will be you.  Picture courtesy of Mrs. Formerly Heavy J.  

I sure hope those guys standing near you were there to help and not just carrying on as if you flopped down beside them to have a picnic.

And the picture is a good conversation piece though I just *might* have killed my spouse if he took a picture of me on one of my frequent accidents.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2