Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I never understood how Miracle Whip became a sort of dichotomous alternative to mayonnaise in our culture. They are extremely different! Although Miracle Whip definitely has its place, I always enjoyed a very thin layer of it on my BLTs. Hopefully Lindsey wasn't expecting this tenderloin place in the Midwest to have Miracle Whip instead of mayo, though, because that would be well and truly bizarre.

Miracle Whip is huge in WI. You can taste it in nearly every homemade or store bought pasta salad and sometimes in potato salads.    It is considered a gourmet condiment compared  to Sandwich Spread eaten without any meat between two thin slices of bread.  A staple of many lunches of my youth when money was tight.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 1

I've said this before here, that I use toddler sized bowls to limit my portions. If I must have my potato chips it's only a handful at the most. It has been working for me, after the menopause "what the hell happened." 

This is such a good tip! I am having a hard time readjusting to "regular eating" after the holidays. I am trying to eat salads at lunch and a supper with a lean protein and vegetables. But Tuesday was tough this week and I came home and ate pizza and chocolate chip cookies. My grandmother told me once that women are programmed to get fat after menopause so their husbands won't want to have sex with them. I suspect Nan had some major hangups about sex.

• LOL 6

On the season previews I noticed that one of the female poundicipants was shoveling a "cakie" into her mouth.  Those are the cookies you see in the supermarket that come in a plastic clamshell of about 12-14.  Thick, cake-like cookies with thick, sugary frosting & sprinkles on top.  That's why I call them cakies.  My daughter hates that word so I try to use it as often as possible.

Anyhow....I treat myself to a cakie or two every night with my mug of tea so when this episode comes on I have to make sure there are cakies in the house so I can raise one to toast the poundicipant.  For those about to cakie….we salute you!!!

Now I want a cakie.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

On the season previews I noticed that one of the female poundicipants was shoveling a "cakie" into her mouth.  Those are the cookies you see in the supermarket that come in a plastic clamshell of about 12-14.  Thick, cake-like cookies with thick, sugary frosting & sprinkles on top.  That's why I call them cakies.  My daughter hates that word so I try to use it as often as possible.

Anyhow....I treat myself to a cakie or two every night with my mug of tea so when this episode comes on I have to make sure there are cakies in the house so I can raise one to toast the poundicipant.  For those about to cakie….we salute you!!!

Now I want a cakie.

I love cakies too! You’re in good company @FormeryHeavyJ!

• LOL 1

Awesome bingo cards!

Seeing the missing teeth on card #2 made me think - I just came from an extraction - how do they manage to consume insane amounts of food with bad teeth?  Do they not chew at all?  or does the pleasure of eating for them outweigh the discomfort of toothache? 

For me, it will be a dinner of applesauce, I think.  Good thing I love applesauce (and I always buy the all-natural unsweetened one).

• Love 3

I think it's like my mother's older relatives, who cooked everything to mush.    They only went to the dentist when they couldn't stand the pain any longer, and had the tooth yanked.    Everything was cooked until it was soft, and mushy, and the only bread was soft white bread, or something like potato rolls.   Never anything crunchy.        I think since that's what the poundticpants are used to, they probably don't notice the fact they can't chew.    

John's plates of mushy chili dogs didn't need chewing, and I don't think even the fried chicken was really chewed.    I'm betting that the really bad teeth aren't painful, because I'm sure the roots and nerves died long ago.   

• Love 1
On 1/13/2020 at 3:56 PM, Hellga said:

Seeing the missing teeth on card #2 made me think - I just came from an extraction - how do they manage to consume insane amounts of food with bad teeth?  Do they not chew at all?  or does the pleasure of eating for them outweigh the discomfort of toothache? 

My mother had all of her teeth pulled out at about 23 years of age.  She got cheap dentures which never fit, so she never wore them.  I never saw her with teeth.

She ate everything with no difficulty except nuts (when she wanted them, she'd put them into a dish towel and crush them to a fine consistency so she could swallow them without chewing).  My least favorite thing to watch her eat was corn on the cob.  The blood on the cob from her gums always grossed me out.

My mother had all of her teeth pulled out at about 23 years of age.  She got cheap dentures which never fit, so she never wore them.  I never saw her with teeth.

She ate everything with no difficulty except nuts (when she wanted them, she'd put them into a dish towel and crush them to a fine consistency so she could swallow them without chewing).  My least favorite thing to watch her eat was corn on the cob.  The blood on the cob from her gums always grossed me out.

I would vomit if I saw that. I'm sorry that she was unable to find good dentures. 😞

Wednesday is quickly becoming my favorite day of the week! I get to sleep late because I only work half a day and then I get to hang out with you guys in the evening!

• Love 2
On 1/13/2020 at 9:42 PM, mmecorday said:

Here's another one: "But after I finish one meal, all I can think about is what I'm going to eat next."

That doesn't bug me too much because I spend a lot of time planning meals, although much of the time I am not at all hungry when I do it.  

Can't wait to print off the bingo cards, although it will have to wait til I have a few spare moments.   I am briefly at home before heading out to a working dinner which means I will be late to the live chat if I make it home at all.

At the moment Renee is playing.  I barely remember her, but I did enjoy an "ow, my laig" moment. 

• Love 3
Just now, Pepper Mostly said:

Thank you! Its on draft #4, in progress! (I had to do some actual work today so I couldn't finish it!) 

Cool.  Thanks for putting in the effort...Also maybe, " how y'all doin?😊"

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

It only was on for 1 season because she was annoying. A woman gained weight purposely to prove it was possible for anybody to lose weight.

Over what period of time did she gain and then lose?  If she didn't spend at least a year in the "fat" state, it's not an accurate model, as her metabolism would not have changed in the same way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Hellga said:

Over what period of time did she gain and then lose?  If she didn't spend at least a year in the "fat" state, it's not an accurate model, as her metabolism would not have changed in the same way.

I agree, that's why I wasn't impressed with the show. She ate 6,500 calories a day and gained 42 lbs. in three months and then showed how she lost it.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I agree, that's why I wasn't impressed with the show. She ate 6,500 calories a day and gained 42 lbs. in three months and then showed how she lost it.

I believe fitness models also gain a lot of weight before losing it. It helps build more muscle. They still work out but they go through a "bulking phase"... I believe Pedro from 90 Day Fiance (if anyone watches that show) gets "big a little bit" once a year before losing weight and looking incredible. 

• Love 3
On 1/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Armchair Critic said:

It only was on for 1 season because she was annoying. A woman gained weight purposely to prove it was possible for anybody to lose weight.

Was that the woman from the UK?  

• Love 1

I am watching Worst Bakers in America - it was on in the summer, but I didn't feel like watching it then.  We are fighting a losing battle... a 25-year old journalist kid from Chicago said "me and my Dad are really close".   No wonder all the poundticipants say the same.

• LOL 1

I swear I thought I bought veggie chips. It was veggie flavored chips,  spinach flavored potato puffs. Like who made those?  I'm at my "I'm fat" weight now. The "I'll have to stuff myself into these pants" weight.

Well, I'm exactly two weeks from my surgery date. Today I start my modified liquid diet (and to be honest, I actually like the protein shakes) and I have my final clearance appointment later this week. All going well, I'll be in surgery on Feb 3 and I'm looking forward to this new stage in my life.

Mom is now a month past her surgery and doing so well. I'm really proud of her and we're both adjusting well to things. When we go out as a family to eat, she and I share a meal (and with both of us being post-surgery in the not too distant future, we'll probably be bringing home leftovers). It's been such a long road for the both of us and I can't wait to see where this new phase in our lives takes us.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

Well, I'm exactly two weeks from my surgery date.

I wish you the best. What brand of protein shakes do you like?  I'm usually pretty good about not eating past 6 p.m. and a protein shake might be good for that afternoon meal. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, nokat said:

I wish you the best. What brand of protein shakes do you like?  I'm usually pretty good about not eating past 6 p.m. and a protein shake might be good for that afternoon meal. 

I've been using the Premier Protein (both pre-made packaged shakes and the whey protein powder). They come in enough flavors to keep things interesting though I'm partial to the chocolate - it tastes like a slightly less-sweet YooHoo. Fortunately I find them pretty satisfying and they don't seem to have any really artificial aftertaste.

I'm also going to be trying some shakes made by Fairlife. They were on sale so I figured to give them a shot.

• Useful 1
29 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

I've been using the Premier Protein (both pre-made packaged shakes and the whey protein powder). They come in enough flavors to keep things interesting though I'm partial to the chocolate - it tastes like a slightly less-sweet YooHoo. Fortunately I find them pretty satisfying and they don't seem to have any really artificial aftertaste.

I'm also going to be trying some shakes made by Fairlife. They were on sale so I figured to give them a shot.

Thanks. The whey protein might be good to add to a spinach/kale smoothie, with a banana or berries.  Like I said, I usually don't eat past 6 p.m. so protein and fiber can get me to the morning, so fasting for about fourteen hours.

(yes, I'm one of those weird people who actually likes kale, but usually in a stamppot)

Edited by nokat
7 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

Well, I'm exactly two weeks from my surgery date. 

Good luck!  Glad to hear your Mom is doing well.  That's awesome that you are doing it together and helping each other through it.

4 hours ago, nokat said:

yes, I'm one of those weird people who actually likes kale, but usually in a stamppot)

I love kale, raw kale in salads.  Especially the "Red Russian" variety my mom plants, super delicious even if you just cut down a few leaves and munch on them without anything.  But I love anything cabbage-y so no surprise that I like kale too, it's essentially a variety of cabbage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I wonder if JT, this weeks poundticipant is the one they show on the season previews with the gigantic lymphedema on his leg?    That looked very painful.   I'm hoping this week is a success story, after the past two episodes. 

I really hoped there would be a lot of success stories this season, but apparently that's not happening. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
2 hours ago, Hellga said:

Good luck!  Glad to hear your Mom is doing well.  That's awesome that you are doing it together and helping each other through it.

I love kale, raw kale in salads.  Especially the "Red Russian" variety my mom plants, super delicious even if you just cut down a few leaves and munch on them without anything.  But I love anything cabbage-y so no surprise that I like kale too, it's essentially a variety of cabbage.

I make a vegan sweet and  savory  kale dish (warm side dish) that rocks! I've never  made it  with  anything  other than  lacinato kale, but I'd  bet any variety  would  work.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I make a vegan sweet and  savory  kale dish (warm side dish) that rocks! I've never  made it  with  anything  other than  lacinato kale, but I'd  bet any variety  would  work.

You need to share that recipe!

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, nokat said:

You need to share that recipe!

Ok...

1 tablespoon  EACH: olive oil, minced garlic, dijon  mustard, ACV (apple  cider vinegar)

1 teaspoon  white sugar

1 cup vegetable broth 

4 cups kale, washed,  stemmed and chopped  roughly 

1/4 cup dried cranberries 

-------

Heat oil in deep skillet  that has a lid. Add garlic and cook until  onion is translucent.  Add mustard,  sugar, ACV, and vegetable broth.  Bring to a boil. Add kale, cover and  cook for about 5 minutes until  kale is wilted.  Uncover and add cranberries.  Continue  boiling, UNcovered,  for about  15 minutes until  liquid is  mostly  reduced.  Add salt and pepper to taste (I don't  add any). 

Voila!

ETA: I just realized I  left 1 small  onion, diced, off the ingredient  list.  Duh!

Edited by Colleenna
Duh moment
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

ETA: I just realized I  left 1 small  onion, diced, off the ingredient  list.  Duh!

Thank you, and I'd never leave out an onion. 

The cranberries! I hadn't thought of adding those.

15 minutes ago, nokat said:

Thank you, and I'd never leave out an onion.

And I will leave it out intentionally because the only food I enjoy even less than sautéed onions is fennel! 

I met a friend for lunch today, and we had chicken, rice, black bean, avocado and pico de gallo bowls - in which we asked to substitute romaine lettuce for kale.  Yummy.  And the chili-lime aioli was superb, too.  I wouldn't mind replicating that recipe... 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3