Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Can I tell you how much I love being retired? No?

What is your favorite 'lull me to sleep' podcast?

I love retirement SO MUCH. I putter around, read, cook, nap, read some more, watch TV, shop, go out to lunch, read.....

I'm not a podcast person but I often put on MSNBC and let the voices of Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell or Alex Wagner lull me into the arms of Morpheus. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Can I tell you how much I love being retired? No?

What is your favorite 'lull me to sleep' podcast?

You don't need to answer.  I'm heading to this place called Midsomer County.  

It has four ☠️☠️☠️☠️

Is it 24 seasons? I watch old episodes and I'm out.

2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I love retirement SO MUCH. I putter around, read, cook, nap, read some more, watch TV, shop, go out to lunch, read.....

I'm not a podcast person but I often put on MSNBC and let the voices of Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell or Alex Wagner lull me into the arms of Morpheus. 

Since you brought it up...I look at recipes, I read the books I've meant to read for years. I ignore requests to come in for a few days.

A family member got obsessed over Ancestry.  She is not our sister, despite the rumors.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was WAY into Ancestry for awhile, but it was costing me a fortune to get access to records outside the US, and my whole family is either from Newfoundland (my dad), or Ireland, (my mother). On her side at least I go back a couple of generations in Boston but before that, the whole lot of them are from County Waterford. And at first I was sitting there on Ancestry for hours, looking for records and building my tree, even connected with some distant cousins, but after awhile it fell by the wayside. 

And when I tried to cancel my membership, Ancestry charged me $25 to CANCEL. The bastards. It really left a bad taste. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I was WAY into Ancestry for awhile, but it was costing me a fortune to get access to records outside the US, and my whole family is either from Newfoundland (my dad), or Ireland, (my mother). On her side at least I go back a couple of generations in Boston but before that, the whole lot of them are from County Waterford. And at first I was sitting there on Ancestry for hours, looking for records and building my tree, even connected with some distant cousins, but after awhile it fell by the wayside. 

And when I tried to cancel my membership, Ancestry charged me $25 to CANCEL. The bastards. It really left a bad taste. 

Irish here. I have family photos with names. I was not surprised by the results.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Thanks for the warning, but I'm currently in deep.  It started innocently, checking the date a great uncle died, and has led to major searches.  I had no idea my ancestral history in the U.S. started with two families (on both sides of my family) that arrived in Connecticut by 1636.  They appeared to be moderate Puritans who dissented with the rigid Massachusetts crowd.  One came from Fitzhead, Somerset and the other from the Northern Yorkshire Dales.  On Sunday's episode of All Creatures Great and Small, there was mention of my ancestor's small village, Giggleswick.

I've also been able to find out where my maternal grandfather's came from.  The story was they were from Austria, but there were hints it wasn't the current nation.  It turned out they were German speakers from East Bohemia, part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire when they emigrated in the late 1860s.  They were part of a system that brought them to Wisconsin.

The search goes on as I'd like to find out where my small DNA percentages of Scandinavia, North Africa, Italy, Greece, and Ashkenazi Jew come from.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@sagittarius sue, that is fascinating! Have you read Alex Wagner's book, Futureface? She delves into her ancestry and there's a lot of great information on how DNA testing is done. 

Mine is 51% Irish, 22% England and Northwestern Europe, 10% Wales, 9% Scotland, 4% Sweden and Denmark, 2% Norway, and 2% Germanic Europe. I've found Newfoundland ancestors going back to the 1600's. It is a rabbit hole, to be sure! And I'm totally chuffed to find the tiny percentages of Scandinavian, since I love to think there's some Viking in there. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

On her side at least I go back a couple of generations in Boston but before that, the whole lot of them are from County Waterford. And at first I was sitting there on Ancestry for hours, looking for records and building my tree, even connected with some distant cousins, but after awhile it fell by the wayside. 

But, were you left any crystal?

22 hours ago, nokat said:

Irish here. I have family photos with names. I was not surprised by the results.

My German ancestors came from the border near France, the Alsace-Lorraine area.

My love of wine has deeeep genetic roots. 

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

@sagittarius sue, that is fascinating! Have you read Alex Wagner's book, Futureface? She delves into her ancestry and there's a lot of great information on how DNA testing is done. 

Mine is 51% Irish, 22% England and Northwestern Europe, 10% Wales, 9% Scotland, 4% Sweden and Denmark, 2% Norway, and 2% Germanic Europe. I've found Newfoundland ancestors going back to the 1600's. It is a rabbit hole, to be sure! And I'm totally chuffed to find the tiny percentages of Scandinavian, since I love to think there's some Viking in there. 

I'll have to look up that book.  My mother and I took the MyHeritage DNA test because she could only do a swab test, not enough spit for other tests.  I'm glad she did it before she passed.  I should be getting results on the Ancestry test in the next couple weeks.  The prior test showed that I had 66.7%  DNA from the UK and Ireland, with 42% English, 24.7% from Scotland, Ireland, and Wales and 9% Scandinavian.  My mom's showed 34% Scandinavian that we knew nothing about.  Perhaps her great-grandfather's name wasn't originally Hill but Hillstrom or Hellstrom?  😊  One can pick up significant Scandinavian DNA from northern England, Scotland, and Ireland.  I'm hoping the Ancestry test will break it down more.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

My German ancestors came from the border near France, the Alsace-Lorraine area.

Interesting hitory there.  Those from Lorraine mainly spoke French, and wanted to be with France.  The majority in Alsace spoke German, but they preferred to be part of France.

• Like 1

My mother's people always claimed to be German ancestry.   However, my 23& Me, and Ancestry results showed what I thought all along, no German, almost all English, Irish, and other western European.     

The wandering Scandinavians accounted for about 5%, so I guess that was their summer sojourn to the British Isles, and the Norman coast.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 2/18/2023 at 11:15 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

My mother's people always claimed to be German ancestry.   However, my 23& Me, and Ancestry results showed what I thought all along, no German, almost all English, Irish, and other western European.     

Well, technically, the Angles, the Saxons and the Utes did migrate from Germany to the UK about 1400 years ago... 

I did both Ancestry.com and 23&Me.  No surprizes there, I am exactly who I knew myself to be.   Other than that odd 1% Mongolian, but there is a reason all those tests tell you to ignore anything smaller than 3-5% because it's just noise (but it's fun!). :) 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Karina Garcia, was the new girlfriend.  It was in her WATN episode.   When Dr. Now saw them together in his office, he looked shocked. 

Yeah, he must have been thinking "What the F***???"

• Like 1

I just realized that I will miss next week's show because I will be up in the air (literally, I get on the plane at 6pm Central and get off at 11pm Eastern).  I set it to record, because for some reason I can no longer watch episodes for free unless they are live, if I want to stream on demand, they want me to pay.  Meh.  I will be with you in spirit, though, if I will be awake (I am usually asleep on the planes). 

• Like 2

Hola peeps! So sorry to miss the live chat last night--houseguest wanted to go see the writer Colm Toibin give a lecture at Boston College and I went with her. I've never read any of his books but she is thinking of going to BC for a Master's in Irish Literature and wanted to look around. He is a lovely Irish man and was very entertaining. Not as entertaining as live chat but those are the breaks. Looking forward to catching up on the episode and your hilarious commentary!

NB to @Auntie Anxiety, we had a blast at Ikea! 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hola peeps! So sorry to miss the live chat last night--houseguest wanted to go see the writer Colm Toibin give a lecture at Boston College and I went with her. I've never read any of his books but she is thinking of going to BC for a Master's in Irish Literature and wanted to look around. 

You mean you actually experienced *culture* last night? Outside? Wow. 

• LOL 5

Quoting myself from the live chat last night:

I'm getting an ad for the local hospital's cancer center and the doctor I have an appointment with tomorrow is in it... (no, I don't have cancer). He looks like a kindly sort...hope I'm right.

I went to my appointment this morning and when he came in I said, "I saw you on TV last night." They laughed and the nurse made a comment something like, "that ad's still running.." (I've only seen it recently but I guess it's not new...) and I said, "It was on TLC...I won't admit to what I was watching on TLC, though..." 🙃

He was very nice. Even waited outside the room while I got changed and walked me back to the waiting room. Never had a doctor do that before (nurse, yes, but doctors are usually on to the next patient by they time you leave).

• Like 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

You mean you actually experienced *culture* last night? Outside? Wow. 

We've been wallowing in culture--we've gone to the theater FOUR times in the last few months, and will be going again in March! (Les Mis, The Play that Goes Wrong, Hamilton, Come From Away). I love live theater and I can't get anyone to go with me so I've been making up for lost time. Of course, I've spent so much $$ that I'm now rummaging in my sofa cushions for beer money till my next check from my 401K. Well, I can't take it with me!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Howdy, y'all!  I was in Texas for a week.  And I am bummed that the start of the Lent meant I did not get to experience any of the Austin's famous barbecue places.  Oh well.  I did eat a couple steaks before it started.  Can't get steaks like that in Massachusetts!   And I got my culture by going to the Alamo on Saturday and the Texas State Capitol today, I had a few hours free in both San Antonio and Austin, and I wanted to see something other than the hotel/convention center/airport/restaurants.

I'll be catching up with this week's episode (the plane's TV options did not include TLC, unfortunately!) and live chat over the next couple days.  Hope it was another good episode (I have no doubts about the quality of the chat! ) :) 

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just realized I will mostly miss tomorrow's episode too.  I decided to honor the International Women's Day by participating in a sugar flower making workshop.  Unfortunately between the end of the class and the time it will take me to get home, I will join around 9:15.  Hope it's not one of those episodes where I won't have missed much...  Off to program my DVR. 

All my pounder pals - enjoy the day tomorrow.  Make it special.  :)  It's a holiday, after all (and one greatly underappreciated in the US, I must say!)

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 4
On 3/1/2023 at 11:52 PM, Hellga said:

And I am bummed that the start of the Lent meant I did not get to experience any of the Austin's famous barbecue places.

If you're in New Jersey for St. Patrick's Day, apparently the state's dioceses have given a dispensation to eat corned beef. ☘

• LOL 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

If you're in New Jersey for St. Patrick's Day, apparently the state's dioceses have given a dispensation to eat corned beef. ☘

They did that here in the Diocese of Pittsburgh! Free pass on the corned beef.

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

They did that here in the Diocese of Pittsburgh! Free pass on the corned beef.

Unfortunately, I don't particularly like corned beef. Then again, I'm not Catholic, either. 🤷🏻‍♀️

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I am not Catholic.  And I don't particularly enjoy corned beef (although there is this canned corned beef thing, LIbby's, that is amazing when mixed in with buckwheat.  Cheap student chow, but oh so good). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/13/2023 at 12:49 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone watched the movie The Whale?  It’s about a morbidly obese father.  I thought about this show.  

I just watched it last night and was here to post that they had a shower scene! My first thought was this show! And Brendan Fraser was amazing! 

• Mind Blown 1
4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I just watched it last night and was here to post that they had a shower scene! My first thought was this show! And Brendan Fraser was amazing! 

I watched the trailer and it did look pretty good.  

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I watched the trailer and it did look pretty good.  

The reviews were just okay, except for him and the woman who played his nurse and friend (and got a  nomination), so I went in thinking I just wanted to see him. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. 

• Useful 2

Over on the 90 Day Fiancé “Darcey and Stacey” spinoff forum I mentioned something about Dr Paradise. It turns out that a poster there used to go to therapy with him. But the biggest shock was that she was on a dating website and was contacted by none other than Dr NOW HIMSELF! 

• Mind Blown 7

I was just remembering the "Half Ton Killer" Myra Rosales. I wonder how she is doing. She lost an amazing amount of weight. There are others I remember that we saw specials on. Another name is Billy Robbins. His mother was feeding him to death. I remember him not doing well at all. 

• Useful 1

Watching Nicole and her band of bastards. What a ray of sunshine. Am I the only one that wishes they put breakaway chairs in hotel rooms. Yes, I'm not a nice person when it comes to self inflicted disabilities. 😈 I also wonder why stores let them use their motorized carts. I am assuming that they are expensive and have weight limits.

(edited)

What do you know. The show is back, full of fresh, sugar free failure. It's been so long since I've watched an episode, I forget what I need to be ready for disappointment, Pounders. Grapes, for sure 

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Like 1
(edited)

Tonight is the BIG (literally) night, Pounders! I'm all stocked up on grapes and tangerines. I have to figure out what my eating habit will be....but I know that it won't be anything good for me!

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1