Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Hellga said:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

This is the one day a year nearly everyone eats a 600-pounder amount of food... and the one day a year you can overeat and not feel guilty about it.

Here, here!

Instead of my usual one meal (unemployment diet) I had two: french toast and turkey sausage for brunch, and a turkey wrap with a side of rice for dinner. Yum!

I hope everyone in the US had a nice Thanksgiving!  😘 

• Love 3
On 11/29/2019 at 2:32 PM, pdlinda said:

Does anyone know absolutely, positively and unequivocally that a new season will be airing in January, 2020?????  Still not sure why status of show is held as such a mysterious "secret."  LOLOLOL

I saw an ad that it starts on 1/1/20

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I saw an ad that it starts on 1/1/20

Oh, really????  That's GREAT!!  Was the ad on TLC because usually they start "teasing" the new season with old episodes but as yet here in Phx, AZ I haven't seen that happening.  I did see a FEW old episodes from time to time, but not the flurry of episodes that usually occur.  However, the month is still young, so, hopefully, we're set for season 8!!

• Love 1

Does anyone else follow up on the successes?  There is a website that posts interviews and after the skin surgery.

This time of year is difficult. I like to bake, so pies and cookies. 

• Love 2

Wow!    From the trailer, Season 8 will be one amazing roller coaster of a season.    However, on the good side, it looks like a lot of hunky firemen, and EMTs to add to the scenery.    I feel so sorry for some of them, like the person in the back of the minivan with that huge growth.    I hope every one this season is a success story.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

While I'm looking forward to the season (which will be great to help me motivate for my surgery), these cases make me incredibly sad. I'm not even anywhere near 300lbs and cannot imagine letting myself get to the point where I'd be so profoundly disabled just on account of my own body mass. One of the reasons that I elected to do the surgery at this point was to avoid having mobility issues as I got older, because an extra hundred pounds is going to be murder on my joints. The very thought of being trapped in my house, unable to even get out of bed and doing nothing but eating just chills me to my core.

I want all of these people to be incredibly successful and find new lives, but I know that these are the hardest of the hard cases. They're medically fragile and we know that at least a few of them are going to be very resistant to Dr. Now's instructions. They didn't get to this point by being paragons of moderation after all.

• Love 5

Seeing some chatter about the new season. Looking forward to snarking with my Pounder Pals!

H'mmm My eating habit tonight was..

Well, I went to the grocery store on an empty stomach. You know how that goes. I bought some deli potato salad and fried chicken tenders. 

In the winter time, I do have a palate of a 12 year old with money to spend and no parents to tell you NO!

A dangerous combination 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

In the winter time, I do have a palate of a 12 year old with money to spend and no parents to tell you NO!

A dangerous combination 

I swear, my Inner Child has been buying my groceries. The same kid who wants to pick out my next car. Oy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I get the winter comfort food thing...

I went for a massage this morning, and spa is right next to the supermarket with amazing croissants.  Of course, by the time I came in the morning croissants were all gone, and the afternoon ones weren't baked yet.  You know a place is good when getting croissants from them requires almost as much luck as winning a lottery (so far my record is something like 4-5 buys in 20-25 attempts!).  The crullers in the next case were calling to me, but I ignored them and stopped by the Latin grocery to see if they have anything fun to try.  Came home with a naranjilla, a tomate de arbol, and a pastry called "pan uruguayo" - plus of course one of the giant elephant ears, they are oh so good.  Sometimes I like to try exotic produce... most of it I end up not liking (either because by the time it is transported here, it doesn't taste anything like it should, or because I am a northern girl with northern tastes, I don't know) but sometimes I do expand my culinary routines...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2

It looks like TLC is scheduled to 'tease' the new season tomorrow night, according to the info on https://www.tlc.com/schedule as of right now.

Tomorrow evening at 8pm there is a new Where Are They Now? for Tamy and Karina, followed by a 19-minute 'first look' at one of the new stories for season eight, John and Lonnie.

So, is there going to be a live chat here tomorrow evening for the new follow-up episode on Tamy and Karina?

• Love 2
On 12/17/2019 at 11:07 AM, ProTourist said:

So, is there going to be a live chat here tomorrow evening for the new follow-up episode on Tamy and Karina?

I wish, but I am so busy and out of the habit that I would forget.

I think I saw a teaser for "1000 pound sisters," but as I didn't have on my glasses I am not sure. I did think at first it was the total weight for both, then I thought that isn't all that much compared to some people he has had so i guess each woman is in the 900's.  That doesn't sound right, either.  Maybe one is 700 and the other just 300.   Anyway, I can't wait for a new season.

I just went with Mr TWoPper to his Christmas luncheon where my eating habit was a lot of food, although it was served to us so it isn't like I myself piled it on my plate.  They were giving various awards and one huge woman collected several;  I think she  is a popular professor.  I am not sure how she manages.  Then I came home and saw that Cynthia's episode was on.  She was the teacher from OK City who claimed not to emotionally eat and quit the program.  I would like a follow up on her.

They had a brief update on Cynthia, combined with James K (maybe James K).     I'll look and see if I can find it.  

Yes, it was Season 6, Episode 18, and it's mostly about James K., but Cynthia managed to get under 400, and she's happy there.   She had one skin removal, and quit the program after that.

Not only are they having the 2 hour update on Tami and Karina, but about 20 minute preview of brothers named John and Lonnie after that episode.  At least, I think they're brothers.         

Spoiler

deleted.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/17/2019 at 12:07 PM, ProTourist said:

It looks like TLC is scheduled to 'tease' the new season tomorrow night, according to the info on https://www.tlc.com/schedule as of right now.

Tomorrow evening at 8pm there is a new Where Are They Now? for Tamy and Karina, followed by a 19-minute 'first look' at one of the new stories for season eight, John and Lonnie.

I got all excited seeing it listed just now so I make a topic. I may get slapped on the wrist for doing that, but couldn’t help myself.

4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They had a brief update on Cynthia, combined with James K (maybe James K).     I'll look and see if I can find it.  

They had a full episode with the two of them on season 6

• Love 1

Sorry pounders, we caught up on the threads now.  Dang, we missed an opportunity to corral the pounders for a live chat.  The thread is open now.  We have also added a speculation/anticipation thread for season 8.  Official start of the season is January 1st.  Happy New Year!

For those of you asking about 1,000 pound sisters, that show has its own forum.  Join us there for the snark.  It looks like they are quite the pair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I do watch this show and enjoy reading the posts from the Pounders. I am a funeral director and recently received a call from a lady who was trying to have her loved one cremated. Sure, no problem, right? Wrong! Her loved one weighed over 800 lbs. and after some calling around and trying to help her, I discovered there is no crematory in my state that could handle a person of that size. Her only recourse was to have her person buried (involving buying 2 grave spaces, an oversize casket and vault) which will end up costing thousands of dollars. Maybe somebody needs to explain to these huge people they better have a plan in mind and money put away for the time when they cant put the food down and as Dr. Now says "the body will just give out". I hope this doesnt offend anyone but I thought it was an important point to make.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Maisiesmom said:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I do watch this show and enjoy reading the posts from the Pounders. I am a funeral director and recently received a call from a lady who was trying to have her loved one cremated. Sure, no problem, right? Wrong! Her loved one weighed over 800 lbs. and after some calling around and trying to help her, I discovered there is no crematory in my state that could handle a person of that size. Her only recourse was to have her person buried (involving buying 2 grave spaces, an oversize casket and vault) which will end up costing thousands of dollars. Maybe somebody needs to explain to these huge people they better have a plan in mind and money put away for the time when they cant put the food down and as Dr. Now says "the body will just give out". I hope this doesnt offend anyone but I thought it was an important point to make.

Okay this question will sound gross, morbid, and insensitive....

...but can't they just, like, cut the corpse up into pieces and burn it up in sections?

Why is it so expensive to dig a hole and throw a corpse in it?

I mean there has got to be something that can be done if someone can't afford these costs.  You can't just leave the corpse lying around like an old sofa.

• Love 1

Hello Ray- Good questions! Number one, it is against the law to dismember human remains (despite what you read in the news or see in horror flicks.). A standard grave space is just over 3 ft wide and are spaced out just far enough to maximize useable space in the cemetery. The cost of burial can vary from area to area some places are less expensive than others. However, the body needs to be in a container of some sort in order to be transported to the cemetery for safety reasons.  The cemetery charges not only for the plot (grave space) but also for what they call "opening and closing" which is fancy talk for digging the hole and then filling it in to complete the burial. This particular person had been measured and was over 40 inches wide, hence the need for 2 plots, and extra costs. And no, you cant just leave a body laying around. Most states have programs to help the family with the expenses, however in my state if a certain period of time has passed and nobody steps up to take charge of things, the state takes over and the person is buried in what back in the day used to be called "Potters Field"with no fuss or formalities. Sad, but true. Hope this answered your questions.

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

(in the M&Ms ad voice)  They do exist! 

It's one thing to see these 600+ lb individuals on TV , but to have someone confirm that these people do in fact live among us, it's still a bit surprising. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Hellga said:

(in the M&Ms ad voice)  They do exist! 

It's one thing to see these 600+ lb individuals on TV , but to have someone confirm that these people do in fact live among us, it's still a bit surprising. 

[This ^^^ is from the all episodes topic. It was in response to a post by a funeral director about a person who died weighing 800 pounds. The family wanted cremation but no crematories can handle that size body, and cutting up a corpse is illegal.]

I'm sure they live among us, but the heaviest folks are typically house-bound, if not bed-bound. On this show, we usually comment if a poundticipant is able to walk, and drive, and regularly leave home, because it's not the norm at those heavy weights.

I've worked some projects at a local company over the last few years. Last year I often saw a very heavy guy around the office building and parking garage. Didn't know who he was; there are other companies in the building. We smiled and said hello when we encountered each other, but that was is.

He was tall, and I swear he weighed at least 400 pounds, probably more. He was mobile. TBH, barely, but mobile. I've just wrapped up another project there, and it occurred to me just now that I didn't see him this year. I hope his health is okay and I didn't see him this year because he's got another job. Better yet, I hope that in the 14 months between my project last year, and the one this year, he lost so much weight that he was there and I just didn't recognize him.

7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Better yet, I hope that in the 14 months between my project last year, and the one this year, he lost so much weight that he was there and I just didn't recognize him.

That does happen. I went for a police background check last week for a volunteer job. TheY almost refused my ID. The cop on duty said I needed to get a new license because my photo didn’t look like me anymore. 

• Love 6

We had our father cremated in October and I noticed the part in the packet about the deceased’s weight. If they weighed 300-400 pounds it was $200 something extra and if they weighed 400-500 it was $500 something extra. But that was the highest they would go. I skimmed the burial section and found nothing there for oversized folks.

• Useful 2

Good news! I've finally been scheduled for my surgery! I'm currently scheduled for January 26, but I'm trying to move it to February 3rd which will be easier with my work schedule. I go in for my pre-op testing later this month and then my clearance with my primary MD and I'll be good to go! 

Mom did her surgery last week and is recovering well and already showing some weight loss. We're both thrilled about this new change for our lives and are already planning for some wonderful things as we go forward. I'm looking forward to being able to wear all of the clothes that I've been holding on to from various weights - at least it'll save me some money as I shrink!

• Love 9

I was costuming  some girls as Angels for the Christmas pageant at our parish when one of them had an unfortunate experience with the wings as the elastic sagged on one pair and the wings sank to her hip level at which point I made a remark about "butt wings."  Everyone thought it was hilarious.

• LOL 5

As an appetizer to the new season I've been watching the worst of the worst. Maja (and Chrisshun), Jeanne (😝), Schenee (😄), because I get the impression that John and Lonnie are great people and I needed to hate on some of these people before cheering for these brothers. Although the mom might be a good target. I don't know if I can watch the nasty ass sisters. Just too much ugly for my brain to handle.

• LOL 2

I will probably miss the chat tonight due to the Rose and Sugar bowls.   or due to too much eggnog.   For the record, my eating habit tonight is pork loin, greens, blackeyed peas and cornbread.  and pepper jelly which is not sugar free.  Plus I had a coke and popcorn during the first half of the Rose Bowl.  I am not Dr Now approved.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I am really looking forward to the show coming back tonight, plus two new shows.  It's what I need after having spent the holiday week mostly buying, making and eating food and sweets!  Between all the cookies, cakes, chocolates and ethnic desserts (we visited an Asian/Far Eastern store to buy fish and explored the whole store, and a Middle Eastern store to buy tea and also explored the whole store) I probably gained everything back that took me the entire two months to lose...  Hope today's episode is inspiring, either in a good way or in a bad way!

Happy New Year, everyone!  What better day to get your life (back) on track? 🙂

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1

Is the Sneak Peek starting 2 hrs late for anyone else? My DVR says it should be ending now and ep 1 starting. But it looks like the Sneak Peek is starting now. 

eta NM, Ep 1 John and Lonnie is starting. No Sneak Peek. 

Edited by Gbb
On 1/1/2020 at 6:32 PM, JunkFoodTV said:

As an appetizer to the new season I've been watching the worst of the worst. Maja (and Chrisshun), Jeanne (😝), Schenee (😄), because I get the impression that John and Lonnie are great people and I needed to hate on some of these people before cheering for these brothers. Although the mom might be a good target. I don't know if I can watch the nasty ass sisters. Just too much ugly for my brain to handle.

How the heck did you get inside my brain @JunkFoodTV! lol!

Except I added drama queen, attention seeker, professional victim, Janine to my list!

Along with :

beastly monster “Chrishuuun”-Maja

“choke a b Thursday,” with her feces growth-Jeanne 

and

”I need my bleach and very “knowledged” -Schnee

• LOL 1

So could we figure out a crossover show? I know, it's long out of production, but the Justice Network still has Dr. G: Medical Examiner on its schedule. Yesterday I wandered back into the room where the end of an episode was playing, having wandered out a few minutes earlier.

Just in time for Dr. G to say that they don't see OLD morbidly obese people in the morgue. They see plenty of morbidly obese people in the morgue - but those people don't live to old age.  They die well before they get old.

I can't remember everything else she said exactly, but she was dead dog serious about the reasons for calling it "morbid" obesity, and she was sad that so many lives are cut short by the diseases that come with morbid obesity. 

I don't know if it would work as a series, but IMO a few episodes of autopsies of morbidly obese (and super morbidly obese) people could be very informative. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

My brother died in September.  He weighed over 250 pounds, and there was a $300 surcharge for his cremation because of his weight.  His "estate" (can you call a hoard an estate?) was not large, so it was $300 less to be distributed among the four children he fathered and abandoned.

• Useful 1

I've said this before here, that I use toddler sized bowls to limit my portions. If I must have my potato chips it's only a handful at the most. It has been working for me, after the menopause "what the hell happened." 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

So guys, I had some time so I did a draft of a Bingo card. Not enough room for some of the faves, like pee pads, "Dr. Now is my last chance" and "if I don't change I will die!".  But its a start. What do you think?

Bingo card .jpg

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 18
On 1/8/2020 at 5:38 AM, OoogleEyes said:

Ok! Back on a real life schedule after the holidays. Looking forward to seeing my Pounder Pals tonight and figuring out my eating habit. Be warned.....ORANGES WILL BE INVOLVED 

Are oranges a gateway fruit, like grapes?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Gateway fruits are grapes, and oranges.      Also, sugar free strawberry jam is the road to hell, and weighing 1,000 pounds.  

I think food preferences depend on what you were raised on.   My family always had Miracle Whip, and I've never liked Mayo.      And our cheese was either mild Cheddar, or American Cheese (I know, it's not really cheese, but "processed cheese food").    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Gateway fruits are grapes, and oranges.      Also, sugar free strawberry jam is the road to hell, and weighing 1,000 pounds. 

I only ate sugar free jam, and an occasional grape. "But you gained 30 pounds." Blank stare.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

So guys, I had some time so I did a draft of a Bingo card. Not enough room for some of the faves, like pee pads, "Dr. Now is my last chance" and "if I don't change I will die!".  But its a start. What do you think?

Bingo card .jpg

OMG. This is the bomb. Seriously! I may have to print it out and have it on hand for the next episode.

Thank you!! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nokat said:

There are people who prefer Miracle Whip. I had to leave home to discover real mayonnaise and cheese other than Velveeta. 

Yup, and rice and mushrooms for me.  As well as pizza or a taco. It amazes me looking back that Wisconsin was the dairy state but not the cheese powerhouse it is now.

At least we had locally produced old school whole milk and butter delivered by the milk man.  Sadly, my family also had  pressurer cooker beef roast with root veggies as well.  Every single week.