Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

In the meantime, I've got quite a bit of clothing for the charity bag. I refuse to hang onto anything that I can no longer wear.

I put a lot of work clothing in the charity bag. I have things both up and down a size because I can't let go.

I did get rid of the stuff that was hanging off my hip bones when I was food restricting. Is now comfortably pudgy. On a dare I tried on my fatigues and the zipper was screaming but I fit in.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nokat said:

On a dare I tried on my fatigues and the zipper was screaming but I fit in.

I have what I've been fondly referring to as "The Jeans of Shame" that I deliberately bought a size small because they were having a major sale at Lane Bryant. I figured that I'd lose enough weight at some point to get into them.

Of course, those jeans have been hanging up in my closet for two years now. I tried them this weekend and while I can get them on and zipped, comfortable they are not. Forget about sitting. So I need to lose another few pounds before they can be relieved of their title and given a place of honor in my closet.

image.png.30764f3409b729df39fb2432c92a0ae9.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Of course, those jeans have been hanging up in my closet for two years now. I tried them this weekend and while I can get them on and zipped, comfortable they are not. Forget about sitting.

Hee, I didn't say I could sit. I zipped and then couldn't move. We shouldn't expect to fit in to the clothes we wore years ago. You're making good progress, and know that you have a cheering squad for you.

• Love 7

Well, I just got thrown for an emotional loop this morning. My niece ended her engagement with the man she'd been with for ten years. Needless to say that she's absolutely devastated. I'm rushing out of work early today to help her move some things to my house because she'll be staying with me for a bit.

Normally something like this would send me right to the chocolate and I'm not going to deny that the urge is there. But so far I've been able to keep myself under control. That's the one good thing of what's turning into a very bad day.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@Hana Chan, what a nice supportive aunt you are! I'm glad you're forgoing your old chocolate habit. That can be hard in stressful situations. 

Unfortunately her father fucked off to South Carolina this past summer (we all lived on Long Island NY) so he's going to be as helpful as tits on a bull. Her mom didn't have an apartment big enough to help out but is looking to move so hopefully she'll be in a better place soon.

I've had to give up my office for the duration so I don't have my own TV right now (I refuse to have one in my bedroom because I'm a chronic insomniac) so I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch live for awhile. And I need to figure out where I'm going to work on my writing.

But there is no way that I would abandon her when I found out that her ex had cheated on her. She needs all the support she can get right now.

Yeah, all I want is a five pound bag of M&Ms right now but I'm consoling myself with a sugar free pudding cup.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I keep seeing  an ad for Zenb veggie  snacks. Supposedly  they're  made with the  WHOLE vegetable,  including peel. Has anyone  on this forum tried them?

Not me, but now I'm interested.

22 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I've had to give up my office for the duration 

But there is no way that I would abandon her when I found out that her ex had cheated on her. She needs all the support she can get right now.

Congratulations on all of your hard work!

You'll get through this, and who knows? Maybe having your niece there will be a support to you as well. I hope that she is not an emotional eater! 

Good luck to you both 

• Love 4

Just to follow up to my Live Chat comment about Donna Summers re: Ashley.

Part of my Armenian family lived in Egypt, the last emigrating here in 1952.

I've been to Egypt 3 times, once as a exchange high schooler.

I discovered as a teenager that the plants in my grandfolks driveway were in fact papyrus.  I made my own scrolls and painted miniatures on them.

(I do give myself some credit, other teens in the stupefying heat and boredom of Fresno turned to drugs.) I turned to books, even though my grandparents were barely literate in English, and studied and lovingly painted ancient Egyptian art and also fell in love with medieval depictions of everyday life and by extent became a more committed Catholic.

Of course, real life happened.  Death, sorrow, betrayal, poverty, wretched jobs, marriage, children, joy, disillusionment, getting old, WTF.

My last Fresno summer, when I was already grown, but deferring to my grandparents,  Donna Summer was on the radio. 

Along with night miniture golf and water slides.  At night it dropped into the 80's and I could sit on the aluminum lawn chairs and visit with the old folks like an equal.  Priceless....

I have taken my Thera-flu and am going to to bed.  Thanks for listening!

• Love 12

You know, folks, we really need an "Eerrrrrgh!"  button, or even a vomit emogi for our comments.  A "that's so disgusting/exasperating/beyond-it" button.

21 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Just to follow up to my Live Chat comment about Donna Summers re: Ashley.

Part of my Armenian family lived in Egypt, the last emigrating here in 1952.

I've been to Egypt 3 times, once as a exchange high schooler.

I discovered as a teenager that the plants in my grandfolks driveway were in fact papyrus.  I made my own scrolls and painted miniatures on them.

(I do give myself some credit, other teens in the stupefying heat and boredom of Fresno turned to drugs.) I turned to books, even though my grandparents were barely literate in English, and studied and lovingly painted ancient Egyptian art and also fell in love with medieval depictions of everyday life and by extent became a more committed Catholic.

Of course, real life happened.  Death, sorrow, betrayal, poverty, wretched jobs, marriage, children, joy, disillusionment, getting old, WTF.

My last Fresno summer, when I was already grown, but deferring to my grandparents,  Donna Summer was on the radio. 

Along with night miniture golf and water slides.  At night it dropped into the 80's and I could sit on the aluminum lawn chairs and visit with the old folks like an equal.  Priceless....

I have taken my Thera-flu and am going to to bed.  Thanks for listening!

Sorry about the over-share there, the wine caught up with me, but I do love Wednesday nights.

Thanks for the fun!

• Love 7

Just an observation here....am checking e-mail, avoiding Friday night housecleaning and drinking my 2nd beer.

No, I can't get the emogis to work, and kind of bluff my way through smartphones etc...

BUT...….I do know how to call collect from a pay phone, drive a stick-shift car, do math without a calculator, shorthand and ditto machine, iron clothes, defrost a freezer, make cornbread, biscuits and bread from scratch, sew from a pattern, and even use a clothes wringer (don't ask!).

And I'm still young!  I shop (judiciously of course) in the Jr. department.

Oh, I forgot the slide rule!  Point is things change so fast, even for us "normal" folks, and I feel a pang for these poundticipants who really need to put down the mcMuffins and get a life before it's too late.  I'll bet they are way more adept at their phones than me, though.

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 5:28 PM, Hana Chan said:

Unfortunately her father fucked off to South Carolina this past summer (we all lived on Long Island NY) so he's going to be as helpful as tits on a bull. Her mom didn't have an apartment big enough to help out but is looking to move so hopefully she'll be in a better place soon.

I've had to give up my office for the duration so I don't have my own TV right now (I refuse to have one in my bedroom because I'm a chronic insomniac) so I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch live for awhile. And I need to figure out where I'm going to work on my writing.

Yeah, all I want is a five pound bag of M&Ms right now but I'm consoling myself with a sugar free pudding cup.

Oh Hana Chan, stay strong!  Am just now reading this.  You are strong and can support your niece.  Yes, you can.  Deep breath....This is what's it's about, you can help others too.  While you are healing yourself!

Do the best you can, and disengage from emotional drama (been there).  Food is not the answer, and throw out the "fat pants" etc..buy new clothes and embrace the new you.  Lay down the law and don't take stuff!

Seriously you can help squash the family drama by your example. I really know it's hard.  It's easy to melt down and cry. Breathe, and don't......

And throw out the "fat" clothes!  Love!

Edited by Carboncat
added something
  • Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 8:38 PM, nokat said:

Not me, but now I'm interested.

To me "Beyond Meat' burger patties are the best, meaty tasting stuff.  I used some other brands and had to discard.

17 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Oh Hana Chan, stay strong!  Am just now reading this.  You are strong and can support your niece.  Yes, you can.  Deep breath....This is what's it's about, you can help others too.  While you are healing yourself!

Do the best you can, and disengage from emotional drama (been there).  Food is not the answer, and throw out the "fat pants" etc..buy new clothes and embrace the new you.  Lay down the law and don't take stuff!

Seriously you can help squash the family drama by your example. I really know it's hard.  It's easy to melt down and cry. Breathe, and don't......

And throw out the "fat" clothes!  Love!

The fat clothes are gone! Now I have the slightly less fat clothes to wear. Definitely an improvement. 

We're all making the best of a challenging situation. I was able to set up an area in my bedroom as my writing space which actually is working out for me pretty nicely. I have a comfy chair, an ottoman, a few throw blankets and a nice little side table with my candles and my tea cup. Miss not having a tv for background noise, but I'm able to listen in on my shows while I work so it's not too bad.

My focus is to right now take care of myself. I've done as much as I can do for my niece and she's in a weird emotional place right now. I can't help that. I can offer my help but I can't force her to take it. And I'll plan a little getaway for some point this summer so I can recharge.

Thanks so much for all the support! I really needed it this week.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Carboncat said:

To me "Beyond Meat' burger patties are the best, meaty tasting stuff.  I used some other brands and had to discard.

Yes, the burger patties have that real meat taste and chew.  forget the "sausage" substitutes of any brand.

(edited)

So glad to hear it.  In my opinion young people just kind of need us to be a stable (if boring) presence they can be assured to come back to after their emotional storms and troubles.

And about clothes;  I'm doing this right now myself.... if you haven't worn it in (some) years, if it needs altering you never got around to, if it's a size you just aren't anymore---donate it.

Buy some new, cute outfits for yourself that fit your current size and feel good.  You deserve it!

Edited by Carboncat
added thought
  • Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:48 PM, Carboncat said:

You know, folks, we really need an "Eerrrrrgh!"  button, or even a vomit emogi for our comments.  A "that's so disgusting/exasperating/beyond-it" button.

Sorry about the over-share there, the wine caught up with me, but I do love Wednesday nights.

Thanks for the fun!

Gosh, I cringe when I read this stuff sober, but it's actually all true.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On Friday, March 06, 2020 at 6:48 PM, Carboncat said:

BUT...….I do know how to call collect from a pay phone, drive a stick-shift car, do math without a calculator, shorthand and ditto machine, iron clothes, defrost a freezer, make cornbread, biscuits and bread from scratch, sew from a pattern, and even use a clothes wringer (don't ask!).

Me too. We don't need most of those any more, but those were talents.  Clothes wringer, yup, then to the clothesline. Most people would probably lose a limb trying to use a wringer. Sewing, knitting, canning, baking, making preserves, under appreciated talents in my opinion.

• Love 5

The safe way to use a clothes wringer is to use a cut off broom stick, and use it to lift the clothes from the tub, and push through the wringer.   I remember my mother doing that.  My grandparents were very poor, so they bought nothing that they could avoid buying.    My mother used the broom stick, because her mother did, and not because we couldn't afford something better. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 2/25/2020 at 12:57 PM, jennblevins said:

Someone in last week’s live chat wondered if deep-fried grapes were a thing. They are — I’ve had them. They weren’t as good I expected, although part of that was because they were a garnish on a bowl of soup at a fancy restaurant, and half the breading was therefore kind of soggy. 

That was me! that idea still doesn't sound appealing...

On 2/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, Jeeves said:

Before moving on to KC, on that trip I spent a couple of nights in Abilene, Kansas. That's where the Eisenhower Presidential Library is. It's really quite a large complex of buildings, including his boyhood home - in its original location, no less. I was there on the weekend that included June 6 - yes, the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion. There were big doings at the Eisenhower library that weekend. I was so glad to be able to schedule my visit for that time. 

My Mom and I have visited, and it was a nice complex, we liked both the home and the library, they had a lot of artifacts related to his military service and some of his wife's dresses and jewelry.  There was a special WWII-related exhibit as well.   

Also, not too far from there is a really awesome space museum - Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Kansas.  Very worth a visit, we could only spare three hours, but you can easily spend an entire day exploring.   There is also a salt mine where you can wander.    It was a very nice long weekend in north-central Kansas, we enjoyed it... also went to the Wizard of Oz museum to complete the trip, and for barbecue, of course.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:58 AM, Hana Chan said:

In the meantime, I've got quite a bit of clothing for the charity bag. I refuse to hang onto anything that I can no longer wear.

Good for you!  What Not to Wear was always quite emphatic about that... I am guilty of holding on to a few dresses that are one size, about 10 pounds down, from where I am now...  

• Love 1

On 3/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, Hana Chan said:

Normally something like this would send me right to the chocolate and I'm not going to deny that the urge is there. But so far I've been able to keep myself under control. That's the one good thing of what's turning into a very bad day.

It may be easier to avoid chocolates entirely than to try and hold yourself to just one piece - but I personally find a small piece of really good dark chocolate very satisfying and chocolatey and they are maybe 25-40 calories...  

On 3/10/2020 at 12:16 AM, nokat said:

Me too. We don't need most of those any more, but those were talents.  Clothes wringer, yup, then to the clothesline. Most people would probably lose a limb trying to use a wringer. Sewing, knitting, canning, baking, making preserves, under appreciated talents in my opinion.

Hey, I am 36 and I know how to do most of these things.  But if my great-grandmother could raise a lamb, shear it, wash the wool, spin the wool and knit or spin the wool and weave cloth, and sew the clothing all by herself - I can only take the ready-made wool and knit something simple or take ready-made cloth and sew something simple.  Making preserves, though, requires no talent, knowledge or real effort.   Just patience!   Unless you are a maniac like my friend's mom, who does seedless raspberry jam!   I don't even bother removing pits from my cherries! 🙂

On 3/10/2020 at 2:48 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The safe way to use a clothes wringer is to use a cut off broom stick, and use it to lift the clothes from the tub, and push through the wringer.   I remember my mother doing that.  

We had a pair of tongs, since you had to get clothes out of pretty hot water to put them through the wringer!  sometimes even boiling (have you ever boiled whites to bleach them?)

I have even used a washing stoop!  And harvested oats with a handheld sickle!  The perks of spending summers on a farm 🙂

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3

I put my house on the market in February, and I had an offer - but the buyer bailed and withdrew on Monday, right before they were supposed to sign and send me the deposit.  With all the coronavirus stuff, now I don't know how it will affect the housing market... I am about to sign the lease on an apartment in Boston, and I don't know if I should hold off or not.  Not how I expected it to go!  I was all aligned to move the first weekend of April!

On 3/6/2020 at 8:48 PM, Carboncat said:

I can do all of those. I didn’t own an automatic shift car until 2000, and I still have one stick shift car that is now 22 years old. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Right now, I feel I am living in two novels at one time ..... On the Beach and Station Eleven.   Kudos a million times over if anyone gets this. 

I googled Station Eleven. Oh my. Was thinking The Stand and Captain Trips.

• Love 2

As this is the Small Talk topic I thought that I would post this here. I would really like an ongoing, non-political platform to discuss how all of us are dealing with the Corona Virus/COVID-19.

Should I/can I start a separate topic for this? Actually, @PrincessPurrsALot might be the best one to answer that question.

Personally, I have found all of this to be very stressful yet funny in my observations of how different people handle situations like this. For instance, I just went grocery shopping this past Thursday and found all the toilet paper aisles wiped out as well as the rubbing alcohol, disposable gloves, etc. When these things happen I feel that they expose people's true natures.

Who remains calm but vigilant, who is selfish, hoarding as much as they can without a care in the world about their neighbors--please do an internet search on people, women really, fighting over toilet paper--who goes above and beyond to be caring and considerate of others?

Anyway I've been feeling a bit anxious about this whole thing and just wanted to reach out to this community and get a little feedback and support.

That is all.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

As this is the Small Talk topic I thought that I would post this here. I would really like an ongoing, non-political platform to discuss how all of us are dealing with the Corona Virus/COVID-19.

Should I/can I start a separate topic for this? Actually, @PrincessPurrsALot might be the best one to answer that question.

Personally, I have found all of this to be very stressful yet funny in my observations of how different people handle situations like this. For instance, I just went grocery shopping this past Thursday and found all the toilet paper aisles wiped out as well as the rubbing alcohol, disposable gloves, etc. When these things happen I feel that they expose people's true natures.

Who remains calm but vigilant, who is selfish, hoarding as much as they can without a care in the world about their neighbors--please do an internet search on people, women really, fighting over toilet paper--who goes above and beyond to be caring and considerate of others?

Anyway I've been feeling a bit anxious about this whole thing and just wanted to reach out to this community and get a little feedback and support.

That is all.

This truly is a remarkable situation, @DC Gal in VA. Hoarding is disgusting, although I'm not personally aware of anyone I know who's doing it.  Last Sunday I was talking with a relative who manages supplies for a large local fire district. You know, people (EMTs) who USE masks, gloves, water, etc., in the course of their jobs. She said the availability of gloves and masks (they buy in big numbers, it's a big district) was becoming problematic. She even ran into some static at a big box store where she often orders water by the pallet - had to school an employee who wanted to refuse it to her. Yeesh. 

I've seen the denuded shelves in the supermarket and Walmart. No Clorox bleach to be found lately. I happened on a few packs of TP in the supermarket on Tuesday, and bought *one* to replenish my dwindling supply. I realized last night that I could easily run out of some things to deal with my seasonal allergies which are now ramping up; fortunately I found what I needed at the supermarket. And purchased normal quantities. Just saying. Like, one gallon of distilled water for saline nasal rinses, one pack of eye drops, a few boxes of Kleenex (not a dozen!). 

I really think much of the buying is thoughtless urgent over-buying, by people who don't think ahead and have no clue what is REALLY necessary for their household to handle a two week quarantine. And there's probably a certain amount of it representing people who operate on a slim margin at home who are buying reserve supplies for once. Either way, I can't believe these crazy levels of retail sales of these items will continue for long. People will stuff their cabinets full of TP, tissues, bleach, flour (which will probably be thrown out after sitting unused for so long it gets weevils), etc. - and not buy more for quite awhile. 

Those of us who hang out in the Small Talk area of "Counting On" (not a Duggar fan forum, lol) have been talking about our experiences. From working at home, to shopping experiences, and more. 

I think this small talk topic is a fine place to discuss the situation. I'm dismayed to be considered a high risk person, because I'm healthy. But, I'm in my early 70's, and the stats so far don't look so good for people in my age bracket for people who get the disease. Sigh. I did get out this morning and join a handful of other photographers before dawn, to shoot the city skyline. The dawn was over-cloudy and no pretty colors but it was good to be out in the fresh air and we weren't all into each others' personal space so that was good too. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can, and get outdoors for at least a short time every day. 

I am somewhat anxious about all this too. I think if you're not a little anxious you may not be paying attention, lol. I'm trying not to let the fear run away with me, and remind myself this is a dynamic situation, life as we know it has changed for awhile but not forever. 

Wishing us all good fortune in the weeks ahead!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

This truly is a remarkable situation, @DC Gal in VA. Hoarding is disgusting, although I'm not personally aware of anyone I know who's doing it.  Last Sunday I was talking with a relative who manages supplies for a large local fire district. You know, people (EMTs) who USE masks, gloves, water, etc., in the course of their jobs. She said the availability of gloves and masks (they buy in big numbers, it's a big district) was becoming problematic. She even ran into some static at a big box store where she often orders water by the pallet - had to school an employee who wanted to refuse it to her. Yeesh.

I've seen the denuded shelves in the supermarket and Walmart. No Clorox bleach to be found lately. I happened on a few packs of TP in the supermarket on Tuesday, and bought *one* to replenish my dwindling supply. I realized last night that I could easily run out of some things to deal with my seasonal allergies which are now ramping up; fortunately I found what I needed at the supermarket. And purchased normal quantities. Just saying. Like, one gallon of distilled water for saline nasal rinses, one pack of eye drops, a few boxes of Kleenex (not a dozen!).

I really think much of the buying is thoughtless urgent over-buying, by people who don't think ahead and have no clue what is REALLY necessary for their household to handle a two week quarantine. And there's probably a certain amount of it representing people who operate on a slim margin at home who are buying reserve supplies for once. Either way, I can't believe these crazy levels of retail sales of these items will continue for long. People will stuff their cabinets full of TP, tissues, bleach, flour (which will probably be thrown out after sitting unused for so long it gets weevils), etc. - and not buy more for quite awhile.

Those of us who hang out in the Small Talk area of "Counting On" (not a Duggar fan forum, lol) have been talking about our experiences. From working at home, to shopping experiences, and more.

I think this small talk topic is a fine place to discuss the situation. I'm dismayed to be considered a high risk person, because I'm healthy. But, I'm in my early 70's, and the stats so far don't look so good for people in my age bracket for people who get the disease. Sigh. I did get out this morning and join a handful of other photographers before dawn, to shoot the city skyline. The dawn was over-cloudy and no pretty colors but it was good to be out in the fresh air and we weren't all into each others' personal space so that was good too. I'm trying to stay as positive as I can, and get outdoors for at least a short time every day.

I am somewhat anxious about all this too. I think if you're not a little anxious you may not be paying attention, lol. I'm trying not to let the fear run away with me, and remind myself this is a dynamic situation, life as we know it has changed for awhile but not forever.

Hoarding has let us know what people are really like. Your thoughtful post made me really  think.

I have gloves (bought long ago) but now wondering how to donate for people who need them.

Edited by nokat
Not actually hoarding.
  • Love 3

I can't think of a higher risk group than the poundticipants.     They all have health issues, they are almost all helpless without someone to take care of them.    Many rely on aides, or other health care workers for their help.    I can't imagine how much food you have to stockpile for a couple of weeks to support them.         If they get sick and need a hospital, you would probably have to call EMT's to get them moved. 

The poundticipants that get sick better hope that the hospitals have enough ventilation equipment to support them.   Because they would probably be triaged in favor of people who have a better chance of making a recovery.  

This situation is bringing out the worst in some people too.   I have met two cashiers that had customers start screaming at them for enforcing the limits on certain supplies.             

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh thank you for that thoughtful post @Jeeves. I really needed your voice of calm and reason in these times.

Like you, I just went to the store for a few necessities since I had done the bulk of my shopping the previous week at the beginning of the month as I usually do. Good thing that I bought a whopping TWO four roll packs of toilet paper during that trip which is the norm for me since there wasn't any at all at the store this week. Actually, for some reason a woman returned this huge pack of toilet paper to the shelves but I didn't buy it!😊

You may want to re-think your thoughts on how long all this crazy over-buying will continue after you read this:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tennessee-man-sitting-on-almost-18000-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-says-hes-doing-a-public-service-2020-03-14

Yes my friend we now have hoarding profiteers to contend with. These two brothers actually have the nerve to say that they are performing a "public service" by selling their goods online for a sweet profit to those who may not be able to get these supplies where they live. Could it be because they bought them all?😡

The great thing about you getting out and about is that, from what I have read, one is highly unlikely to contract COVID-19 or anything else in the great outdoors, so enjoy.

Wishing you and everyone else good health and good fortune too.

12 hours ago, nokat said:

Hoarding has let us know what people are really like. Your thoughtful post made me really  think.

I have gloves (bought long ago) but now wondering how to donate for people who need them.

It's really a breath of fresh air to hear from people like yourself @nokat who is taking the time to think of the welfare of others; I am sure your generosity will be appreciated. Bless you.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't think of a higher risk group than the poundticipants.     They all have health issues, they are almost all helpless without someone to take care of them.    Many rely on aides, or other health care workers for their help.    I can't imagine how much food you have to stockpile for a couple of weeks to support them.         If they get sick and need a hospital, you would probably have to call EMT's to get them moved. 

The poundticipants that get sick better hope that the hospitals have enough ventilation equipment to support them.   Because they would probably be triaged in favor of people who have a better chance of making a recovery.  

This situation is bringing out the worst in some people too.   I have met two cashiers that had customers start screaming at them for enforcing the limits on certain supplies.             

Great observations @CrazyInAlabama; no wonder the acronym for your screen name is CIA! 😁

Seriously though, I think that you might be right since our health care system is going to have to make some tough decisions when prioritizing who gets immediate care and who has to wait. Couple that with the fact that some of the most at-risk people are our health care workers as well as other first responders. Also, since many of our poundticipants can have a very entitled attitude and don't like to follow instructions, woe to them if they get sick.

Gee, so sorry for those types..........not sorry!

• Love 2

Heh heh, just in case anyone is wondering if this is indeed the zombie apocalypse, check out this video from Australia of this selfish, toilet paper hoarding bitch and her daughter duking it out with another shopper. This is simultaneously hilarious and deeply disturbing:

On the bright side, this didn't happen in the USA!😊

• Love 1

Just for fun I was playing with my calculator.  According to my scale this morning my body composition includes 70 pounds of fat.  That’s a whopping 245,000 calories of available “food” that I’m carrying around!  Even if I accepted a need for 2000 calories a day, that’s more than FOUR MONTHS of energy without eating another bite.  Nutrition is another story entirely and aside from needing water there are essential vitamins and minerals, however it makes me laugh since two weeks quarantine with no food at all wouldn’t do me the slightest bit of harm.  I am used to fasting three or four days most weeks, plus I eat very low carb so I don’t have the issues with blood sugar fluctuations that plague people like my husband who eats three meals every day plus snacks, lots of bread, jam (NOT sugar free!), juices, grapes, and other foods I just shake my head at.  So I’ll be fine in any case!

We also witnessed an episode of the Great Toilet Paper Wars Friday morning, people were queued in the lashing rain half an hour before the store opened to get in and grab their (limit 2) 36-packs of toilet roll.  NO ONE that I saw had just one package, and as we left with our few items of food people coming in were being told that it had already sold out.

The biggest impact for us is that we’re not going to visit our family as Europe is even more locked down than the US is right now.  We’ve told them all not to expect us this year and will probably not get any money back for the flights etc.  Staying in at home doesn’t bother me too much.  The only thing that would help is warm weather so I could sit out in the sun.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

That is all.

Yesterday morning,  at 5 am,  the Woodman's well on the other side of town was swamped with people who stood in line with carts full of cereal, milk, potato chips, cookies, paper towels and tp for hours.  Watching the morning news was bizarre looking at what was in the shopping carts with each new live feed.

Yet, at 8 the same morning, my husband went to an old school family owned FULLY stocked supermarket, which has a full service meat market, to buy the newspaper. It is two blocks up the hill from our house.  It was the same as every morning.  No panic just a slow stream of people buying whatever.

It is almost like it is so exciting to join the mob in full panic mode rather than think!  There are always other alternatives.  

• Love 5

I wonder how many poundticipants will get this, and have bad outcomes?   I can't think of a more high risk group, with tons of medical issues.  

I grew up with monthly trips for staples, and freezing cartons of milk, and bread.   I wonder how many of the food hoarders know that a lot of what they purchased won't sit well for a week or two.    I'm guessing a lot of spoiled milk, and moldy bread in a week or so.   Note: the cartons of milk have to be the cardboard type, I bet the plastic ones would pop. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Hahaha, although I usually find the bullying, mob mentality of social media repulsive, they occasionally do good. I posted a link previously today about two brothers hoarding and profiteering from the current health care crisis. Well it seems that they have been shamed into donating their hoard of 17,700 hand sanitizers. You can read all about it here:

https://hollywoodlife.com/2020/03/15/matt-colvin-donates-hand-sanitizer-bottles-backlash-video/

I wonder if the fact that one of the brothers, Matt Colvin, is former American military had something to do with it as in maybe other veterans gave him Hell for his selfish attitude. I hope so.

• Love 5

I really wonder how the poundicipants will do.  I didn't see bread on grocery shelves, and wonder if they can get their twelve pizzas per day. Maybe a good thing for them to slow down?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder how many poundticipants will get this, and have bad outcomes?   I can't think of a more high risk group, with tons of medical issues.  

I grew up with monthly trips for staples, and freezing cartons of milk, and bread.   I wonder how many of the food hoarders know that a lot of what they purchased won't sit well for a week or two.    I'm guessing a lot of spoiled milk, and moldy bread in a week or so.  

That was one of my first thoughts. How are these morbidly obese people going to get through this? 

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 11:48 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The safe way to use a clothes wringer is to use a cut off broom stick, and use it to lift the clothes from the tub, and push through the wringer.   I remember my mother doing that.  My grandparents were very poor, so they bought nothing that they could avoid buying.    My mother used the broom stick, because her mother did, and not because we couldn't afford something better. 

OMG! I remember the broomstick thingie.  In Fresno clothes dry in half an hour and bleached I 110 degree summer heat.  My grandmother couldn't be convinced to get a dryer, even when my folks offered her one.  We weren't poor; it was a state of mind.  Like my middle-class mom mixing up that depression-era powdered milk when all my friends got the cartoned stuff!

Edited by Carboncat
really bad spelling
  • Love 2

Hi folks, I'm checking in...I have been absolutely floored by flu (I don't think covid 19) for a week.  I feel like I have lost a week of my life.  I have been stuck at home with my now blind husband, unable to shop or drive or go to work  Getting blasted by my boss, until today, when our county has imposed a mandatory 3-week shelter in place.  No work.  Maybe it's time to retire.  I did get to the store where I did get cat food and canned goods.  No toilet paper or paper towels, but I did score a 300-pak of napkins.  It's good to feel like I'm back among the living, and looking forward to Wednesday!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Carboncat said:

Hi folks, I'm checking in...I have been absolutely floored by flu (I don't think covid 19) for a week.  I feel like I have lost a week of my life.  I have been stuck at home with my now blind husband, unable to shop or drive or go to work  Getting blasted by my boss, until today, when our county has imposed a mandatory 3-week shelter in place.  No work.  Maybe it's time to retire.  I did get to the store where I did get cat food and canned goods.  No toilet paper or paper towels, but I did score a 300-pak of napkins.  It's good to feel like I'm back among the living, and looking forward to Wednesday!

Hey there @Carboncat so sorry to hear about you battling the flu, ugh. Also sorry to hear that your way less than informed employer's response; has he/she been living under a rock? Obnoxious and ridiculous. At least your county has your back. What a jerk. When you're battling the flu the last thing you need is to expose your immune system, which is already under siege, to another possible infection.

BTW, hopefully will you be able to get emergency financial assistance from your state during your mandatory quarantine.

Glad that you were able to get out and at least get some necessities. The store I usually shop at for groceries, Harris Teeter among others, is limiting many of the items people have been hoarding.

I was really sick for about a month -- last week of January through the third week of February -- then another week just to begin to feel like normal. Still not sure what the Hell that was (cold, flu?).

Heh heh, your butt will do just fine with napkins, just remember to not flush them!😁

Here's wishing you and your husband all the best and sending loving, healing thoughts.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hey there @Carboncat so sorry to hear about you battling the flu, ugh. Also sorry to hear that your way less than informed employer's response; has he/she been living under a rock? Obnoxious and ridiculous. At least your county has your back. What a jerk. When you're battling the flu the last thing you need is to expose your immune system, which is already under siege, to another possible infection.

BTW, hopefully will you be able to get emergency financial assistance from your state during your mandatory quarantine.

Glad that you were able to get out and at least get some necessities. The store I usually shop at for groceries, Harris Teeter among others, is limiting many of the items people have been hoarding.

I was really sick for about a month -- last week of January through the third week of February -- then another week just begin feeling like normal. Still not sure what the Hell that was (cold, flu?).

Heh heh, your butt will do just fine with napkins, just remember to not flush them!😁

Here's wishing you and your husband all the best and sending loving, healing thoughts.

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts.  I'll see how this boils down with my employment.  Thing is, my Union Carpenter former self has COPD and is vulnerable, and I haven't really to put down the smokes.  My fault.

Oh "butt" yes the napkins will do just do their multi-purpose fine.  Good thing the yard waste bin is so large;  one can bury a multitude of sins (!) under a mower bag of grass.

Seriously, my online pals, I do appreciate your comments and company, thanks! 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts.  I'll see how this boils down with my employment.  Thing is, my Union Carpenter former self has COPD and is vulnerable, and I haven't really to put down the smokes.  My fault.

Oh "butt" yes the napkins will do just do their multi-purpose fine.  Good thing the yard waste bin is so large;  one can bury a multitude of sins (!) under a mower bag of grass.

Seriously, my online pals, I do appreciate your comments and company, thanks! 

Tee hee my cyber friend, when it comes to that, you are not alone! Remember, progress not perfection.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, peaceknit said:

That was one of my first thoughts. How are these morbidly obese people going to get through this? 

I know milk doesn't freeze well.. I keep riffing on this, but what about that powdered milk stuff they sold in the 60's and 70's?  It would put anyone off milk.

How y'all doin'? Seriously, I want to know how everyone here is doing.

I suffer from severe depression and anxiety. Meds help, but they are struggling to keep me in check during these worrisome times. I visit the grocery store a couple times a week, but going there now makes me hyperventilate when I see empty shelves. Our local Lowe's sold out of freezers and shortly after that the shelves started to empty of beef products and poultry. Luckily I have a partner who keeps me in check. When I wanted to go to the Dollar Tree to search for toilet paper, she reminded me that we have enough and we need to be mindful of people who really need it.

Thinking of all of you during this extremely strange time. ❤️

• Love 11