Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

On 5/29/2020 at 8:18 AM, FormeryHeavyJ said:

Go running outside.  Just don't trip on a curb like an idiot and break your hip or this will be you.  Picture courtesy of Mrs. Formerly Heavy J.  

owwww-mah-leg.jpg

I can't  run, walk for any distance,  or ride a bicycle  because of my  hip.  My cardio is  pretty much  limited to  distance  swimming.  Before the  Rona caused the  gyms to  close, I was doing 2 miles. Once they  reopen,  I'll  probably have to  start  over at 1/2 mile. 3 months  is a long time. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Chicklet said:

I sure hope those guys standing near you were there to help and not just carrying on as if you flopped down beside them to have a picnic.

And the picture is a good conversation piece though I just *might* have killed my spouse if he took a picture of me on one of my frequent accidents.

Two policemen who responded to a 911 call when the store across the street saw me go down. Damn it hurt.  Played hockey in college & for many years after and thought I was the toughest SOB around.  Those days are LONG gone.

• Love 2

Yea I slipped on a tile floor that *I* had just washed  and should have known better to walk on barefoot. Went down hard, and when I did I made a note that yea I broke something because bone pain is just the worst.

And then the ED making fun of me when I said out loud after pain meds, "maybe its not broken" and I hear snickering from around the corner and the nurse is looking at my xray and she yells back "oh yes it is!"

But them I'm a klutz.

• Love 2
On 5/28/2020 at 10:16 PM, Colleenna said:

I'm  actually  doing jigsaw puzzles on the internet.  I swore I would  never do that.  But with the  gym closed, I'm  bored out of my mind.  I'm  reading a book  every other day,  surfing the  web, watching TV, but 90% of what's  on TV doesn't interest me. So jigsaw puzzles  it is. 

Gee thanks for a new online obsession @Colleenna and @ams1001! Since I only started doing this yesterday, I'm just dipping my toes into the shallow end of the pool with little wussy puzzles with only 20-35 pieces; haven't yet had the nerve to attempt ones with over 100 pieces.

So I'll see your puzzles and raise you Sudoku!😊

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Gee thanks for a new online obsession @Colleenna and @ams1001! Since I only started doing this yesterday, I'm just dipping my toes into the shallow end of the pool with little wussy puzzles with only 20-35 pieces; haven't yet had the nerve to attempt ones with over 100 pieces.

So I'll see your puzzles and raise you Sudoku!😊

You're  welcome 😉 I call your Sudoku😂😂

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 5/31/2020 at 10:56 AM, Chicklet said:

And then the ED making fun of me when I said out loud after pain meds, "maybe its not broken" and I hear snickering from around the corner and the nurse is looking at my xray and she yells back "oh yes it is!"

But them I'm a klutz.

I came to ED with my broken wrist also hoping it just just badly dislocated.  I knew better - a human arm cannot possibly be the shape mine was - but I hoped against hope because broken bones cannot be happening to me.  Of course once they showed me the x-rays it was clear as day...  but it almost didn't hurt.  Didn't start hurting until a few minutes after breaking (I actually got up and continued on my way as if nothing happened, until I looked down and realized that's it's a shape a human arm cannot possibly be), never got so bad that I couldn't drive myself to the ER and once they straightened it, it never hurt at all, not before, not after surgery (they put plate and screws in three days after I broke it)...  so every time I read about how painful broken bones are, I have to wonder if it's just my high pain threshold or what.  It's a pain to live one-handed, though, given that I live alone and had to learn to do everything from washing my hair to clasping my bra to doing dishes with only one hand...

Don't want to ever experience what living with any other broken bones is like!  And speedy recovery to all who need it!

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 4
(edited)

The fracture just hurt when I did it, I about passed out and I've had a root canal without anesthesia so I can take the pain but this was most unpleasant. And after they set it, not bad at all. I actually went to work the morning after I broke it, massive splint and all since I had the keys to the office and nobody else did. I let everyone in and then left, though I had a whole lot of street cred just showing up lol. 

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 2

I got kicked by my horse and shattered my ulna and radius. Luckily the vet was there and called for an ambulance because I insisted I was fine since I could move my fingers. She kept saying “I can feel the bones moving”. I tried to tell the EMTs I could drive myself even as they couldn’t get a BP reading since it was too low lol at the hospital they’re asking what happened, I’m telling them and saying I’m fine when they bring the x-rays in. Once they saw the bones in multiple pieces up and down the forearm and me not even going “ow”, I got lots of respect from the entire ER dept.

• Love 5
On Monday, June 01, 2020 at 6:01 PM, Wanda said:

I got kicked by my horse and shattered my ulna and radius. Luckily the vet was there and called for an ambulance because I insisted I was fine since I could move my fingers. She kept saying “I can feel the bones moving”. I tried to tell the EMTs I could drive myself even as they couldn’t get a BP reading since it was too low lol at the hospital they’re asking what happened, I’m telling them and saying I’m fine when they bring the x-rays in. Once they saw the bones in multiple pieces up and down the forearm and me not even going “ow”, I got lots of respect from the entire ER dept.

Wanda, I hope you are okay. I've also been saying "I'm okay" while I'm not. I took care of my horse while I had a broken pelvis. Horse first, me second.

• Love 1
On Monday, June 01, 2020 at 9:02 AM, Hellga said:

Of course once they showed me the x-rays it was clear as day...  but it almost didn't hurt.  Didn't start hurting until a few minutes after breaking (I actually got up and continued on my way as if nothing happened, until I looked down and realized that's it's a shape a human arm cannot possibly be)

It's weird how it doesn't always hurt at first, but your body knows something is wrong.

I tripped on a crappy bit of sidewalk repair, went down and caught myself by my elbows. Horrible road rash, but no broken bones. I've heard it's better to have a broken wrist than a broken hip, so if I fall I'm putting out my arm.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This is for the conversation with @knuckles491 which started under Joyce's topic.

Anyway, as I said, there is a place called Kramerbooks & Afterwards in Washington, D.C. It's a combination bookstore and cafe which was founded in 1976 and they're still kickin'. The setup sounds a lot like what you're wishing for. Here's a link to their website describing their business model:

https://kramers.com/about

I haven't been there in years but I remember that it just felt like an oasis in the middle of big city hustle and bustle. I recall buying a book and then settling down at one of their tables with a good pot of tea as I read my real NOT ebook (funny since I'm mostly a coffee person). Nothing wrong with ebooks, I've read them too, but a real book just feels better especially with a good pot of tea.

Perhaps when all of this awful Covid-19 virus has, hopefully sooner than later, passed us by or at least allow us to visit common areas safely, you could explore fulfilling your dream.

Take care and stay safe.

• Love 1

Years ago, my first professional job (librarian) was for the federal government in D.C., and I used to go to Kramerbooks & Afterwards a lot.    

I'm not proud of it, but a former co-worker that had an office in our facility was shaped like Moby Dick (a taller version of Joyce).    I really tried to give him a chance, but he was totally useless, but in a very critical job.     In my mind I called him Moby Dick (my first sighting of him was when he was wearing that cheap white undershirt that some older guys wear as outerwear, and those awful off white shorts that look dirty from the first wearing.     When he was flaking off, in my mind I called him Moby Dick.     We were required by our headquarters to know when he was around (he never answered his cell phone), and they called it the whale watch.   It was a good day for everyone when he retired (from doing nothing), and they could get someone in his job who actually did it.      He was just like Joyce, a drama queen about everything medical, rude to everyone, lied about everything, and did anything for attention.    I wonder if he's a relative of hers?    They certainly acted alike. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Years ago, my first professional job (librarian) was for the federal government in D.C., and I used to go to Kramerbooks & Afterwards a lot.    

I'm not proud of it, but a former co-worker that had an office in our facility was shaped like Moby Dick (a taller version of Joyce).    I really tried to give him a chance, but he was totally useless, but in a very critical job.     In my mind I called him Moby Dick (my first sighting of him was when he was wearing that cheap white undershirt that some older guys wear as outerwear, and those awful off white shorts that look dirty from the first wearing.     When he was flaking off, in my mind I called him Moby Dick.     We were required by our headquarters to know when he was around (he never answered his cell phone), and they called it the whale watch.   It was a good day for everyone when he retired (from doing nothing), and they could get someone in his job who actually did it.      He was just like Joyce, a drama queen about everything medical, rude to everyone, lied about everything, and did anything for attention.    I wonder if he's a relative of hers?    They certainly acted alike. 

So cool that you've been to Kramerbooks & Afterwards. I was so relieved to see that they're still in operation in spite of the pandemic. I always had a feeling of my blood pressure coming down and my mind clearing as soon as I stepped in that place (and I'm sure that I had more than a few "extended" lunch breaks there).

Gee as for NoReJoyce and Moby Dick, they really do sound like a brother and sister from the same mister. Like you, I've known more than a few Moby Dicks, male and female. Isn't it infuriating how people like him get to keep their jobs AND get a full retirement to boot and the best thing the people who work with shit heads like him can say is "thank God he's gone!"😠

Back to Joyce, I felt physically uncomfortable every time I looked at her with her giant beach ball body it looked like she was going to pop at any moment. She reminded me of a very large, very demanding toddler especially with her face always getting red when she didn't get her way. We've seen a lot like her this season and the one thing I always wonder is how is the mortality rate for this show not substantially higher?

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Anyway, as I said, there is a place called Kramerbooks & Afterwards

There has been so many hours spent in book shops or libraries. Now that I can afford books, I want to pay it back.

I followed the link, badass women's book club. I would so be there if not for many miles.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1

I haven't wanted to cook lately, so I ordered a curry. Red sauce or green sauce. I poured on the red and I'm pretty sure I burned off my tonsils. I think I'll go back to blander food.

• LOL 5

As I've said before I use toddler bowls to control portion size. It has worked well for me. Corona happened, I stopped caring, and three pounds gained. I've even said "ow, mah leg." Is sure that being hosed down in the back yard will be my future.

(edited)
6 hours ago, nokat said:

As I've said before I use toddler bowls to control portion size. It has worked well for me. Corona happened, I stopped caring, and three pounds gained. I've even said "ow, mah leg." Is sure that being hosed down in the back yard will be my future.

Only three? Don't beat yourself up!

I'm sure I've gained something like the "COVID 19" pounds. Well, okay, probably not the full 19 but I'm sure it's more than three!  I refuse to get on the scale - but I've hauled out the two pair of my "really fat size" jeans lately. I kept them after I lost some weight and was able to go back down a size in my jeans/trousers about 18 months ago. Gave away the rest of that sized stuff to Goodwill. Sadly, the "really fat size" jeans do fit better right now. 

I fell off the good-food-habits path since this malignant virus turned the world on its side. I'm trying not to be cruel to myself over it. And, more importantly, I'm getting back to better eating habits. And to moving around more.

Oh, speaking of crazy sh*t that people do after long periods of sequestration (not total quarantine, but mostly staying at home etc.)? I bought a car - and then took it back, lol! 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I refuse to get on the scale - but I've hauled out the two pair of my "really fat size" jeans lately.

At least you're wearing pants. I get on the scale naked after a shower and detract a pound because of wet hair. We all have to not beat ourselves up, things are crazy.

• Love 4

Sadly, I can't avoid scales right now.

Because being locked down with the rest of the world wasn't enough of a challenge, my body decided to hit me with a little something called "pansinusitis."  Literally ALL of my sinuses are swollen, inflamed, and/or full of mucus.  A normal sinus CT scan shows large areas of black where the air should be in the sinuses.  I have no black areas - all gray, indicating soft tissue or mucus.

So I went to my regular doctor when I first developed nasal stuffiness (assuming a simple sinus infection):  "Hop on the scale first."

She sent me to an ENT doctor:  They asked me how much I weigh, but didn't seem convinced when I responded "110 pounds."  So they made me give them a more honest number.

So today I'm back to my regular doctor for a pre-op examination.  I just KNOW the first thing they're going to do is say, "Hop on the scale."

And in the next couple of weeks, they're going to put me to sleep, suck all the crap out of my sinuses, and enlarge the openings which should allow them to drain more normally.   Maybe when the crap is all gone my weight will go back down.

A girl can dream.

• Love 2

I have excelled at the Covid "19".  Instead of stopping at 19, or anywhere short of it, I seem to have added 25 pounds as of this morning when I convinced myself that standing on the scale might give me an incentive to skip a few meals.   I have NOT however blamed the number on a problem with the scale and protested about how very hard I have been working.  I know exactly where all those extra pounds come from, I don't even need my food scales and measuring cups to know my portions have been inappropriate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I actually lost weight during coronavirus, I am now only 7 pounds heavier than my usual college weight and 3 pounds over my 'ideal body weight'... I am eating everything I want, just eating home cooking instead of eating out is doing that.

Sometimes unexpected things helps... I wanted to make scones but the closest grocery to me is Target, and they surprised me - they had cow's milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, even freaking hazelnut milk, but no buttermilk.  So no scones for me until I get to a regular grocery store and I only go to those every 7-8 days...

PS  I was going to join the live chat today, since I have never seen Charity's episode before ( I would not have forgotten such epic butt wings!) but the thread is still not locked...

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Hellga said:

I actually lost weight during coronavirus, I am now only 7 pounds heavier than my usual college weight and 3 pounds over my 'ideal body weight'... I am eating everything I want, just eating home cooking instead of eating out is doing that.

Sometimes unexpected things helps... I wanted to make scones but the closest grocery to me is Target, and they surprised me - they had cow's milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, even freaking hazelnut milk, but no buttermilk.  So no scones for me until I get to a regular grocery store and I only go to those every 7-8 days...

PS  I was going to join the live chat today, since I have never seen Charity's episode before ( I would not have forgotten such epic butt wings!) but the thread is still not locked...

Avid scone maker here! In a pinch, i’ve thinned 2% Greek yogurt with water to get a buttermilk consistency. It worked pretty well!

• Useful 4
13 hours ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

Avid scone maker here! In a pinch, i’ve thinned 2% Greek yogurt with water to get a buttermilk consistency. It worked pretty well!

Great idea!  Also, since I have only ever made scones once in my life before and went with a recipe I found online - would you be willing to share your go-to scone recipe?  Pretty please!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Hellga said:

Great idea!  Also, since I have only ever made scones once in my life before and went with a recipe I found online - would you be willing to share your go-to scone recipe?  Pretty please!

Sure! I spent ages trying different recipes and techniques to perfect my recipe. I’ll post it tomorrow once I’m on my computer. 

• Love 2

I have been craving the foods of my childhood. Last night my girlfriend and I had hot dogs and boxed mac n' cheese. Eating foods like that takes me back to a time when I felt protected from the outside world.

• Love 3
On 6/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, Hellga said:

So I usually make chocolate chip scones, but if you have a particular kind you make or would like to make, directions may vary. Just ask!

Scones

Makes 8 servings.

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 4 T cold butter, diced
  • 1 cup cold buttermilk
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (or desired filling)
  • sugar (optional)
  • olive oil

Preheat oven to 425F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Mix flour, baking soda and salt together. Add cold, diced butter to dry ingredients. Using your fingers, incorporate the butter into the flour until it is no longer in large chunks.

Add buttermilk and mix thoroughly with spatula. At this point, pour in your desired filling and mix until just incorporated. (If using a delicate filling, be sure to fold in gently.)

Lightly flour a clean surface and turn over dough onto the flour. Gently pat dough down and fold in half. Pat down once, then fold in half again. Now shape into an 8- to 9-inch disc, about ½-inch thick. Cut into 8 triangular slices.

Place on baking sheet and either lightly spray oil on top or brush lightly with oil (alternately, you can also do an egg wash, but I prefer none!). Top with a dusting of sugar, if desired.

If you have enough freezer space, place cookie sheet in freezer for 10 minutes, then put directly into oven.

In my oven, they take exactly 16 minutes to come out perfectly browned and crisp. I suggest checking at the 13-minute mark, and if not browned, continue to bake until desired color.

Cool and EAT. Enjoy!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

So I usually make chocolate chip scones, but if you have a particular kind you make or would like to make, directions may vary. Just ask!

Thank you!  

I will follow your recipe, though I will either make plain scones (no filling) or use frozen cranberries or frozen aronia (I am a fan of tart berries as filling, plus I have a lot of both in the freezer).  Would you suggest any modifications for frozen berries?

Also, what's your opinion on using a dough cutter for initial mixing of the butter into the flour mix?

My mom likes melted butter wash on her baked goods, I have seen a lot of options from egg wash to butter to heavy cream in different baked goods recipes, I don't think I have encountered an oil option, but I will probably try it - I often don't do anything myself...

This will be my first test of the oven in my new place for baking.  I have only used it for roasting over the two weeks I've been here! 🙂 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1
(edited)

So I was at my chiropractor's office this morning, having my monthly maintenance adjustment. That keeps me able to walk despite very troublesome SI joints. Anyway, I've gained some weight during this pandemic and have hauled out my super-fat sized jeans for the first time in two years, and was feeling very conscious of it. So as I suddenly thought of this show, I asked the doc, can someone become so obese that you can't give them chiropractic adjustments? He said, no, there are just different techniques.

However, I don't think he was thinking about the 600 pounders that we see on this show. I mentioned them and the conversation kind of moved along, and I never circled back to see if he could indeed do an adjustment on someone north of 500 pounds, lol. 

And it all got me thinking again of how in hell so many of the people we've seen on this show are still alive despite the incredible loads and strains they've put on their bodies by gaining so much weight. 

Edited by Jeeves
clarity
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

And it all got me thinking again of how in hell so many of the people we've seen on this show are still alive despite the incredible loads and strains they've put on their bodies by gaining so much weight.

I think it's a testament to human body being constructed with a huge safety margin in terms of 'structural robustness'.   

• Love 4
(edited)

I went to Wegman's today and I was so happy to finally have a Wegmans nearby (20 mins is not bad at all!) again, I got absolutely giddy and wanted to dance and hug everyone (ha-ha, during an epidemic especially) and started throwing stuff in my cart.  I will be eating like a queen for the next few days!  🙂 With all this sitting home not going to see shows or eat out I am saving a ton of money anyways.    But it was funny to be this excited about a grocery store, literally almost light-headed.  I only used to feel that way about jewelry stores!  But now I kind of understand how poundticipants feel about food.  Not that I went for the kinds of food they would choose...

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Hellga said:

Thank you!  

I will follow your recipe, though I will either make plain scones (no filling) or use frozen cranberries or frozen aronia (I am a fan of tart berries as filling, plus I have a lot of both in the freezer).  Would you suggest any modifications for frozen berries?

Also, what's your opinion on using a dough cutter for initial mixing of the butter into the flour mix?

My mom likes melted butter wash on her baked goods, I have seen a lot of options from egg wash to butter to heavy cream in different baked goods recipes, I don't think I have encountered an oil option, but I will probably try it - I often don't do anything myself...

This will be my first test of the oven in my new place for baking.  I have only used it for roasting over the two weeks I've been here! 🙂 

If you're adding fresh or frozen berries, you'll want to coat them with flower before adding to the mix.  This helps absorb the juices.  For cakes it keeps them from sinking to the bottom. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Hellga said:

Thank you!  

You’re welcome!

no modifications necessary for frozen cranberries. They’re so hearty! 

I’ve never used a dough cutter, but any method to mix it up works. I’ve even seen some recipes call for using a box grater for the butter, but it’s a lot of work and I’m all for fewer dishes 😆

oh butter is good too for a nice browning! I use egg wash on my pie crusts. I started using oil years ago just because it was on hand (and I’m lazy). I liked the results and kept using it. You’ll probably get a richer flavor from butter or egg, though. 

Using a new oven is always nerve wracking. I remember moving into our house, and the stove was off by 20 degrees! 

Anyway, I hope they turn out well for you! 
the recipe is the result of a year’s worth of research and testing ☺️

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

Thanks again!  I will try it out this weekend. 

• Love 1
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 10:34 AM, ilovebeaarthur said:

If you have enough freezer space, place cookie sheet in freezer for 10 minutes, then put directly into oven.

I know for a lot of pastry and baked goods you want the butter cold. This is brilliant, thank you!

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, nokat said:

I know for a lot of pastry and baked goods you want the butter cold. This is brilliant, thank you!

You're welcome! I've also seen people grate the butter, then stick the bowl in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. There are also recipes that call for grating frozen butter. If you try that, you'll end up grating your fingers 😆

• LOL 2
11 minutes ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

You're welcome! I've also seen people grate the butter, then stick the bowl in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. There are also recipes that call for grating frozen butter. If you try that, you'll end up grating your fingers 😆

I have a pastry cutter that I don't like using. I've used the two butter knife method, but grating it like cheese? Things that now seem obvious, like the grating and the freezer, will be handy during the hot summer.

• Love 2
On 6/12/2020 at 10:50 PM, ilovebeaarthur said:

At first I was worried that the dough turned out too wet, but all it took was another dusting of flour.   They were very soft inside and nicely browned on the outside.  Thanks!  

Today I had lunch like a queen.  Lobster mac & cheese with rose wine and fresh-baked scones with fresh-ground, fresh-brewed coffee.   I suspect dinner should be a small salad to balance out the calories!   Though now that the weather is beautiful I have been walking 4-5 miles a day... and at a healthy pace, too, to outrun the mosquitoes...  Or I could claim it's a celebratory lunch (Flag Day in the US today and Russia Day was Friday) and celebratory calories don't count, it is known! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Hellga said:

celebratory calories don't count, it is known!

In my family, it was known that cookie crumbs and very thin slices of cake have no calories. Several thin slices, still no calories.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I treated myself to delivery from a Michelin star restaurant last night.  Proscuitto wrapped grilled asparagus with bitter green salad with lemon hazelnut dressing and red wine braised short ribs with polenta and mushrooms. Also had a negroni delivered.  Enjoyed leftovers today.  It was pricey but it's been a tough couple of weeks.  Since I am able to keep working, I'll tell myself I was sharing the wealth to help keep them open.  

• Love 7

The dreaded COVID-19 has attached itself to my thighs and other assorted parts. I’ve been in misery for the last 7 weeks. I have a cyst on my lower spine that’s pressing on my sciatic nerve. It hurts to sit, hurts to stand, and I can’t exercise. But I can eat and do wine glass bicep curls. Hence the extra poundage. Local hospitals have finally started doing elective surgeries, and I’m having the cyst removed tomorrow. There will be some pain and discomfort from the surgery, but the sciatic misery should be gone immediately. After a few weeks, I can start exercising again. And since I can’t drive for a couple of weeks, my husband has promised to keep unhealthy temptations aka ice cream out of the house.

I do find it somewhat disconcerting that an orthopedic neurosurgeon who bears a striking resemblance to Doogie Howser will be sticking a knife in my back.

1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I treated myself to delivery from a Michelin star restaurant last night.  Proscuitto wrapped grilled asparagus with bitter green salad with lemon hazelnut dressing and red wine braised short ribs with polenta and mushrooms. Also had a negroni delivered.  Enjoyed leftovers today.  It was pricey but it's been a tough couple of weeks.  Since I am able to keep working, I'll tell myself I was sharing the wealth to help keep them open.  

That meal sounds amazing, made even better by the Negroni.

• Love 4

@ShoePrincess, I'm sorry you're in such pain and I hope you can get it taken care of soon. 

OMG, look what popped up on Dear Abby: https://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2020/6/17/0/wife-stunned-to-discover-husbands-weighty

A wife discovers her husband has a feeder fetish and he wants her to gain weight. Eww. I generally suspect that all those letters are fake but whoever wrote this one did a good job. And, if it's real, that woman is right to be creeped out and upset. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@ShoePrincess, I'm sorry you're in such pain and I hope you can get it taken care of soon,

Thanks, Jeeves. I had surgery on Monday to remove the cyst. Instant pain relief. I have some discomfort from the surgery itself, but nothing a bit of medication can't take care of. I'm feeling much better, but have to take it easy for a few weeks until everything heals. Then I should be as good as new.

• Love 5
(edited)

Hola everyone! Time for another update...

The past few weeks have been a bit of a challenge because working from home left me far too much time to nibble and I had a few weeks of my weight plateauing. Fortunately I had some great advice and didn't let it frustrate me. I kept a closer eye on what I was eating and upped my exercise (on my work from home days, I go out on a long fast walk and usually get in 5-6 miles). After what felt like forever, my weight is starting to come down again and I broke the 50lb mark! I'm at just a little bit away from the halfway mark to my weight goal.

Best of all, I had to spend the past week cleaning out my closet because a lot of clothes that I had from last summer were absolutely swimming on me. Before surgery, an X-large/1X was getting very snug (and I was very resistant to buying anything in a 2X. Today I was able to put on a regular Large and while it was a little snugger than I would normally wear, it looked great. So obviously I've been making progress.

I also decided that I needed a bit of a change and chopped my hair off into a rather adorable bob (looks something like a cross between Audrey Hepburn and Joan Jett) and tomorrow I get to go shopping in a real store to replace a bunch of the clothes that I got rid of. I can't wait!

In the meantime, I'm going to throw on my new tankini and hop into the pool for a nice post-dinner swim. 

@ShoePrincess - so sorry to hear that you've been fighting with the dreaded Covid-beast. I know how hard it's been and just count myself lucky that my family have been able to avoid it up until now. Take care of yourself!

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

Best of all, I had to spend the past week cleaning out my closet because a lot of clothes that I had from last summer were absolutely swimming on me. Before surgery, an X-large/1X was getting very snug (and I was very resistant to buying anything in a 2X. Today I was able to put on a regular Large

Congratulations Hana Chan! I hope you can go shopping for some cute clothes soon!

I went out shopping and was so tempted to stop at a fast food place on the way home, but I resisted the urge. I only go out about twice a month other than walking.

• Love 3
On 6/26/2020 at 8:32 PM, Hana Chan said:

Hola everyone! Time for another update...

The past few weeks have been a bit of a challenge because working from home left me far too much time to nibble and I had a few weeks of my weight plateauing. Fortunately I had some great advice and didn't let it frustrate me. I kept a closer eye on what I was eating and upped my exercise (on my work from home days, I go out on a long fast walk and usually get in 5-6 miles). After what felt like forever, my weight is starting to come down again and I broke the 50lb mark! I'm at just a little bit away from the halfway mark to my weight goal.

Best of all, I had to spend the past week cleaning out my closet because a lot of clothes that I had from last summer were absolutely swimming on me. Before surgery, an X-large/1X was getting very snug (and I was very resistant to buying anything in a 2X. Today I was able to put on a regular Large and while it was a little snugger than I would normally wear, it looked great. So obviously I've been making progress.

I also decided that I needed a bit of a change and chopped my hair off into a rather adorable bob (looks something like a cross between Audrey Hepburn and Joan Jett) and tomorrow I get to go shopping in a real store to replace a bunch of the clothes that I got rid of. I can't wait!

In the meantime, I'm going to throw on my new tankini and hop into the pool for a nice post-dinner swim. 

@ShoePrincess - so sorry to hear that you've been fighting with the dreaded Covid-beast. I know how hard it's been and just count myself lucky that my family have been able to avoid it up until now. Take care of yourself!

Keep it up Hana.  But when you go walking make sure you avoid the Concrete Curb of Doom unless you want to make yourself into an "Ow Mah Leg" meme.  I too parted with a TON of old stuff that was too big and did not want to ever wear again.  Sadly one bag was full of my fall/winter Cabelas shirts that I loved so much.  Lasted forever and were very warm on cold days outdoors.  Way too big to wear now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3