Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I am lucky (well, lucky for my taste buds, not so lucky for my waist/hips and wallet) to live in an area teeming with bakeries.  French, Italian, Portuguese, American, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Colombian, Mexican, Middle Eastern - you name it, we've got it... and it's all delicious.  And then there are chocolate shops that make their own chocolates on premises...  I like to bake myself, too, but prefer not to do it when it is 90+ outside.  Though I am planning to bake salmon with teriyaki sauce and broil brussels sprouts for dinner tonight, regardless of the heat and humidity outside.

Sounds like the area in Burbank where son and DIL lived.  I think they were close to probably 75 ethnic eateries.   I have found several French bakeries in HOTlanta   (and it is very hot today).   Guess I will have to get in horrid traffic to get to one, however.  

We are having a chicken taco salad tonight to keep cool.   I have a basket of peaches (oh, noes!  another fruit of doom) that will end up in a cobbler in a day or two.  I still have to lose another four pound to meet my goal of 10 pound in 6 munt.  

• Love 3

I am north of New York City.  We have a ton of Italian food but also plenty of other options. Peruvian cuisine has  been really hot here lately...  

I should go peach picking.  I was thinking of going this upcoming weekend but I just picked up a shift to work Saturday night so I am not sure I will feel like going peach picking on Sunday.   The closest place is only about 20 minutes away but I am not sure they will have anything available as they don't do much of pick your own.  The next closes is about 45 minute drive...  and the really, really good orchard is about an hour and a half away. 

On 7/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, Londoner said:

... up North in  Yorkshire (North Yorkshire is stunning)l where I have relatives gets loads ... plus they always get a white Christmas which I am insanely jealous of.

Now. here's a place I'd love to see. One of my all time favorite shows ever is 'All Creatures Great and Small" I'd love to visit The Dales someday!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Now. here's a place I'd love to see. One of my all time favorite shows ever is 'All Creatures Great and Small" I'd love to visit The Dales someday!

The show was good but I thought the books were wonderful. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I should go peach picking.  I was thinking of going this upcoming weekend but I just picked up a shift to work Saturday night so I am not sure I will feel like going peach picking on Sunday.   The closest place is only about 20 minutes away but I am not sure they will have anything available as they don't do much of pick your own.  The next closes is about 45 minute drive...  and the really, really good orchard is about an hour and a half away. 

I just got some at the farmer's market tonight. They're still a little hard, so no opinion yet. Also picked up a cantaloupe that smells devine! And sweet corn! Ah, I love this time of year!

• Love 2
(edited)

I recently rewatched the original great big man baby "Chuck". Self centered prick. I use to think he and Penny (from the same season) were the worst. But some recent shows have convinced me there's always someone even more disturbing. But those two still make my blood boil. 😠

Edited by JunkFoodTV
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Twopper said:

A Napoleon?  you had a Napoleon?  It has been years since I have had one.  I used to go to a pastry place in the French Quarter called Four Seasons in the 70's to buy them.  And there was another one in Carrollton that was close to a street car stop near my house.   I have a cookbook with a recipe for them, but I just don't have the energy and I think it makes more than we need to eat.   Sometimes I can find them in the more upscale supermarkets.

6 hours ago, Hellga said:

I am lucky (well, lucky for my taste buds, not so lucky for my waist/hips and wallet) to live in an area teeming with bakeries.  French, Italian, Portuguese, American, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Colombian, Mexican, Middle Eastern - you name it, we've got it... and it's all delicious.

When I was a kid in the sixties, there were many italian bakeries throughout NYC, and they were one of the few retail establishments open on Sundays back then. When people would go visiting friends and family for Sunday dinner, it was expected that they would stop at an italian bakery for pastries. The box would always include at least on eclair and one napoleon. It wasn't until many years later that I realized those were french pastries, not italian. 😃

• Love 1
On 7/28/2019 at 6:27 AM, Londoner said:

Hi everyone 

First post here, love the show .. soooo frustrating that we are drip fed episodes in the UK ... I have to use TLC uk which is way behind, Amazon Prime or iTunes again so behind.

But I have had to use google to work out what some of the foods are ... like grits, biscuits and gravy(that confused me because our biscuits over here are your cookies).

Hi Londoner!  I would trade all the TLC shows and the rest to get the real BBC once again.  What they call “BBC America” is an absolute travesty.  I just wish I could send my license fee off and get online access to ALL of the BBC channels.  I do recall the days of using my US iTunes account (funded by online downloaded credit purchases) to try to stay up to date with American television.  I am fully bilingual, LOL!!

Husband worked in London for a time (I stayed at home in Dublin but visited him often), I did move over for the time he worked in Bristol though. Now we’re living in the US one of my favourite shops is called The British Aisles for the foods that there’s just no replacement for.  None would be Dr. Now approved though!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ProTourist said:

When I was a kid in the sixties, there were many italian bakeries throughout NYC, and they were one of the few retail establishments open on Sundays back then. When people would go visiting friends and family for Sunday dinner, it was expected that they would stop at an italian bakery for pastries. The box would always include at least on eclair and one napoleon. It wasn't until many years later that I realized those were french pastries, not italian. 😃

I wonder why bakeries used to be open on Sunday when almost everything else was closed.  My dad used to go to a newsstand after Mass to buy the NY Times and WaPo while the rest of us went next door to the bakery.

I did finally get a Napoleon today.  I didn't want to venture in horrid traffic, but I did make it to Publix which is fairly close by.   Voila! there was a package of 2 napoleons.   Not bad,  I would give them a B.  The ones I used to get in the French Quarter rated an A++  ( maybe my memory is faulty as to how good they really were).   Anyway, it was only 380 calories.  

• Love 2

Grocery store bakeries can be pretty good.  The best croissants in my area are not at a fancy bakery but at Acme supermarket, just not the small one in my village but the big one about 15 minutes away... I discovered it when I was going to physical therapy in the same plaza, now that I am done with therapy I don't go up there, but I am almost tempted.  The thing is, I would have to go early, because by 6pm or so they are always sold out of croissants...  and tomorrow I am taking my car to the shop first thing in the morning, it's making a weird noise.  I know next to nothing about cars, but having driven the same car for four years, I know every sound it is and is not supposed to make.

8 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

Hi Londoner!  I would trade all the TLC shows and the rest to get the real BBC once again.  What they call “BBC America” is an absolute travesty.  I just wish I could send my license fee off and get online access to ALL of the BBC channels.  I do recall the days of using my US iTunes account (funded by online downloaded credit purchases) to try to stay up to date with American television.  I am fully bilingual, LOL!!

Husband worked in London for a time (I stayed at home in Dublin but visited him often), I did move over for the time he worked in Bristol though. Now we’re living in the US one of my favourite shops is called The British Aisles for the foods that there’s just no replacement for.  None would be Dr. Now approved though!

You can watch BBC iPlayer outside of the uk if you use a VPN which masks where you are.

IPlayer has all the BBC content and it’s subscription free which means you don’t have the hassle of having to have a credit card located in the UK.

some Vpns are better than others and they usually cost around $3 to $5 a month.

Tunnel bear is a good one but just google “watching BBC iplayer in US VPN “ and that should give you some others.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

This evening I've watched a 1982 made-for-television remake of Witness for the Prosecution, with Ralph Richardson, Deborah Kerr, Beau Bridges, and Diana Rigg in the roles originally played by Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester, Tyrone Power, and Marlene Dietrich. It's pretty good!

On 7/28/2019 at 6:27 AM, Londoner said:

First post here, love the show .. soooo frustrating that we are drip fed episodes in the UK ... I have to use TLC uk which is way behind, Amazon Prime or iTunes again so behind.

Welcome!  I just see a commercial that we're getting one of your shows, Dr. Emma, another pimple-popping show.  I'm looking forward to it, as long as we don't lose our Dr. Pimple Popper, Dr. Sandra Lee.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, Carboncat said:

It's a recurring theme on  M600lbLife:  After the agonizing clear-shower curtain scene the pounticipant ploomphs into the recliner while the enabler fries up 20 sausages and a carton of eggs and 12 biscuits looking like they've got a gun to their head. 

And off they head to the grocery store, stopping on the way there, and on the way back, for  snacks, which includes a double order of something and extra fries.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ProTourist said:

This evening I've watched a 1982 made-for-television remake of Witness for the Prosecution, with Ralph Richardson, Deborah Kerr, Beau Bridges, and Diana Rigg in the roles originally played by Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester, Tyrone Power, and Marlene Dietrich. It's pretty good!

I don't recall seeing that version, although I absolutely adore Diana Rigg so maybe I did see it.  I have seen the original several times, and I still find it suspenseful.  I have seen  it several times as a play. 

• Love 2
On 7/30/2019 at 11:38 PM, OoogleEyes said:

Welcome  Londoner! My brother-in-law is from London, and reading your remarks about the "language barrier", I just had to share this

Haha that is so true😂

a couple more

morgue is mortuary

The US phrase “can I get a cup of coffee” UK is “may I have a cup of coffee”

Your takeout is our takeaway  😂

7 hours ago, auntjess said:

Welcome!  I just see a commercial that we're getting one of your shows, Dr. Emma, another pimple-popping show.  I'm looking forward to it, as long as we don't lose our Dr. Pimple Popper, Dr. Sandra Lee.

Yuk I can’t watch those 🤢🤢

Is anyone watching The Smoke on Amazon?

Episode 4 is about the firemen getting  a 400 lb woman out of the house using a crane

Includes cute firemen!

Edited by OoogleEyes
Ya gotta include the cute firemen!
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Is anyone watching The Smoke on Amazon?

Episode 4 is about the firemen getting  a 400 lb woman out of the house using a crane

Includes cute firemen!

Well that does sound a bit excessive. A four-hundred-pounder should be able to walk, but if not, then a couple of hunky firemen should be able to carry her out.

Thanks for the tip -- I'll check out the series! 😘

• Love 2

This is the series, a one-season from 2014, set in London: The Smoke. Anyway, the woman was twenty-four years old, 465 pounds (said as 33 stone) bed-bound but did not really need to be. The firefighters got her up on her feet, but the structural integrity of the house was giving way and they felt the stairs would not support her weight, so they went for the alternate extraction method. At the end of the episode she's seen in hospital, where hopefully she's going to receive some help with weight loss, though her enabler (mother) has just brought her two large pieces of cake, so the outcome is a bit doubtful. Thanks, OoogleEyes. 😊

• Love 2
21 hours ago, auntjess said:

And off they head to the grocery store, stopping on the way there, and on the way back, for  snacks, which includes a double order of something and extra fries.

Gotta keep up your strength!  

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

and My understanding is the same dog that was in the cage outside during the first part of the episode, was given to someone else, and it froze to death then.  However, she had two similar looking dogs at the apartment in Houston, and she can't keep her stories straight, so who knows what the truth is.    Schenee is horrible for the way she talked to Dr. Now, and the nasty things she said about him since, along with her confederate in delusion, Freddie. 

Thanks  for the clarification....have pets on my mind.  Whatever happened to Cupcake, Steven (John) 's cat?  Hope he/she is ok.  It's been a hell of a weekend.  If Mod disagrees will accept, but am feeling like I want to share with you guys.

Steven Assanti has serious mental health issues; I agree he's truly scary and might be a candidate for late-night "Investigation I.D."  if he were more mobile.  His drug addiction and mental health issues outweigh (!) his weight issues.

His brother Justin seems to be trying.  He posts on "Reddit" which I read sometimes but don't post on (love my Pounders!).  He seems to be self-aware, and the family story is way more complicated than we glean from M600lblife episodes.  I wish him well.

I remember an episode where a dark-furred cat suddenly plopped down on it's side on camera. It was a family scene, with a beige "sactional" in the living room.  I remember thinking "Me too."

"Cobbs" and Leifa, the blind kitties I hoped to adopt, were adopted by someone else.  My husband had a health crisis, and I missed my appointment.  Went to work early Saturday morning...was cruising home on empty 580 freeway on soft, golden California morning at 11:00 (it really is scenic) with tears in my eyes when news came on radio about Walmart shooting in El Paso.  Who doesn't go to Walmart?  Then Dayton, OH.  Nicole, original "hose her down on the porch" comes to mind.  Prayers (not snarkey, but sincerely) to Dayton.

My son 10 years ago liked Insane Clown Posse. Or was it "Korn"?  He was in high school.  He abandoned his 7-string bass guitar and "death metal", did a stint in the Marines, has a job, pays taxes and is engaged.  He still drives like a bat out of hell, which worries me endlessly. Now he listens to Paul Simon with me.  They'll come around eventually.  "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore".

Glad kitties have found a new home, always more feline faces on shelter website, can't lose pesky 5lbs, so what?  Looking forward to new episodes, and encouragement to Pounders struggling and Poundticipants who are really trying!

Edited by Carboncat
added something actually realized this should hav been in "small talk" but don't know how to move it. Please forgive.

Sorry, on same riff... Gilroy Garlic Festival, has been going on Forever.  Is in a rural area, this is local, and personal.  Nothing hokey-er.  Biggest threat was heatstroke and/or Garlic Breath from fellow attendees.  Ready for snarks ahead, folks!😿

13 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Sorry, on same riff... Gilroy Garlic Festival, has been going on Forever.  Is in a rural area, this is local, and personal.  Nothing hokey-er.  Biggest threat was heatstroke and/or Garlic Breath from fellow attendees.  Ready for snarks ahead, folks!😿

Fellow Californian here. Waves. Has been to Gilroy many times, back when I lived in the San Jose area. Never tried the garlic ice cream. The news makes me so sad.

Thought the cherry season was over, but found more.  I've eaten so many cherries this year, but these cherries are about the size of crabapples. 

1 hour ago, nokat said:

Fellow Californian here. Waves. Has been to Gilroy many times, back when I lived in the San Jose area. Never tried the garlic ice cream. The news makes me so sad.

Thought the cherry season was over, but found more.  I've eaten so many cherries this year, but these cherries are about the size of crabapples. 

San Leandro (hometown) used to call itself "Cherry City".  Cherry Festival is always first weekend in June; cherries are still in stores here.  In my "Mommy" days I used to drive my son to Martial Arts class thrice a week in San Lorenzo.  "Kuk Sool Won", a Korean Martial Art.  Taught by an Afghani Master with my exact birthday.  It's a small world....

Anyway, I ran into a photo of the exact spot where the building is in local paper.  In 1955 the whole area was a cherry orchard.  Now of course it's a subdivision.

Thanks!

On 7/30/2019 at 3:48 PM, OoogleEyes said:

I loved that show too!😺

2 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Anyway, I ran into a photo of the exact spot where the building is in local paper.  In 1955 the whole area was a cherry orchard.  Now of course it's a subdivision.

There was one lone cherry tree left in Cupertino when I left to go south. That was during the bubble in Silicon Valley. So much very fertile land taken up by corporation campuses.

36 minutes ago, nokat said:

There was one lone cherry tree left in Cupertino when I left to go south. That was during the bubble in Silicon Valley. So much very fertile land taken up by corporation campuses.

"Do you know the way to San Jose?...."🎵  I remember when it used to be fruit orchards.  Also remember family trips in car down old Highway 99 to the family hub of Fresno before they built 5.  Fresno gal, but parents moved to SF in 1967 for work.  They had house (3 bedrooms) on 41st avenue in Richmond district.  Foggy and cold.  Remember coming home from Fresno summer and being depressed.  Also remember coming home from school on rare sunny day, it might have hit 71 degrees to find my mother in a sundress filling the kiddie pool and preparing dinner "al-fresco" on the back deck.  She almost had a breakdown living in the fogbelt.  My parents sold the house in 1970 for $29,000 and moved to the warmer East Bay. Now house is 50 years older and probably worth a million.  If we knew then what we know now...  totally missed the hippy thing in adjacent Golden Gate Park.  Was scared of them and was told not to talk to them.

There was a point on the journey to Fresno when the San Francisco radio cut off and all you could get was Central Valley country stations.

Edited by Carboncat
added something
3 hours ago, Carboncat said:

My parents sold the house in 1970 for $29,000 and moved to the warmer East Bay. Now house is 50 years older and probably worth a million.  If we knew then what we know now..

Isn't that the truth. You are bringing back such good memories. I would hate to have to buy a place in SF, or anywhere in the Bay. Speaking of if we only knew then,  I would have bought more stock before it went public, and bought a condo when it was just shy of a million. Didn't have that foresight. Of course there were a lot of paper millionaires back then. 

39 minutes ago, nokat said:

Isn't that the truth. You are bringing back such good memories. I would hate to have to buy a place in SF, or anywhere in the Bay. Speaking of if we only knew then,  I would have bought more stock before it went public, and bought a condo when it was just shy of a million. Didn't have that foresight. Of course there were a lot of paper millionaires back then. 

Ah yes.  Hindsight is everything.  Glad to be alive and inhale another day.  Have the 1939 San Leandro starter house you can never leave.  Now with jewel-perfect refinished hardwood floors.  Was rebuilding back fence on 9/11 when they talked on radio about missing United Airlines flight.  After strangely subdued kid drop-off at 7:50 PT. at school. Remember interminable Fresno trips (160 miles!) A & W in Los Banos with the slapping screen door.  (Only game in town in the 60"s for lunch.)  Always had "nakid" hot dog with catsup only. Country music: Loved "King of the Road", but was confused by the 48-states stuff, until my parents explained it to me.

Was a nerdy Armenian-Egyptian kid in Fresno California who made home-made papyrus from plant in our driveway and painted Nile scenes with cats fishing and dreamed of medieval Europe while trying to stay cool in 110 degree heat everyday.  And now am Pounder going through Dr. Now withdrawal.  Life is amazing.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Was a nerdy Armenian-Egyptian kid in Fresno California who made home-made papyrus from plant in our driveway and painted Nile scenes with cats fishing and dreamed of medieval Europe while trying to stay cool in 110 degree heat everyday.  And now am Pounder going through Dr. Now withdrawal.  Life is amazing.

You are an amazingly interesting person.  Dr. Now withdrawal. I'll help you. Ow, mah leg.

47 minutes ago, nokat said:

You are an amazingly interesting person.  Dr. Now withdrawal. I'll help you. Ow, mah leg.

No Chinese take-out please.  We are all children of God, but we can do without "fast food". Love you all, pounders, stay safe, and back to work for me tomorrow.  "Ow! my patootie!" Peace!  I will figure out something positive to do Wednesday nights in lieu of "live chats".

15 hours ago, Carboncat said:

No Chinese take-out please.  We are all children of God, but we can do without "fast food". Love you all, pounders, stay safe, and back to work for me tomorrow.  "Ow! my patootie!" Peace!  I will figure out something positive to do Wednesday nights in lieu of "live chats".

For some reason I don't think of Chinese food as "fast food" even when it is take-out.

Schools are about to start again and so is the children's theater I work with in the evenings so my weeknights are about to be busy again.   It is always a rush to get home in time for the live chats.   I am grateful for the invention of the DVR.

I was watching an episode of Autopsy on REELZ recently that was about Cass Elliot.  They mentioned she weighed 224 when she died which the Dr said was twice the normal weight for a 5'5" woman.   112 seems a bit on the light side for someone that height.   I was also thinking 224 sounded small for the Mama Cass I remembered.  Then later he mentioned before her death she had been dieting and lost 84 pounds which meant at one point she was 300+ pounds.   Even so, this program has skewed my thinking about weight so much that I actually thought for a moment that she wasn't all that heavy, although I recall when she was alive I thought she was one of the largest women I had ever seem.  I did love to hear her sing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

For some reason I don't think of Chinese food as "fast food" even when it is take-out.

Schools are about to start again and so is the children's theater I work with in the evenings so my weeknights are about to be busy again.   It is always a rush to get home in time for the live chats.   I am grateful for the invention of the DVR.

I was watching an episode of Autopsy on REELZ recently that was about Cass Elliot.  They mentioned she weighed 224 when she died which the Dr said was twice the normal weight for a 5'5" woman.   112 seems a bit on the light side for someone that height.   I was also thinking 224 sounded small for the Mama Cass I remembered.  Then later he mentioned before her death she had been dieting and lost 84 pounds which meant at one point she was 300+ pounds.   Even so, this program has skewed my thinking about weight so much that I actually thought for a moment that she wasn't all that heavy, although I recall when she was alive I thought she was one of the largest women I hadseem.  I did love to hear her sing.

I remember Mama Cass, too.  Still shiver in delight when  "All the leaves are brown.." starts on the radio.  I remember how she was so "fat" and her weight was in the news, unkindly. and how she supposedly choked to death on a ham sandwich (untrue).  but you're right, she might not have even been all that heavy.  I was always 5' 5'' before spine degeneration.  Yeah, 112lbs sounds about right.  My "good" weight is about 104, not a lot of leeway for cheating.

I think Americans have gotten bigger and heavier over the decades.  Diversity acceptance of beauty might be a good thing.  The 60's and 70's were cruel;  you had to be a stick (Can you pinch an inch  ? )Special K commercial to those younger. You had to be tan and even iron hair.

I remember reading years ago that they had to re-vamp the "It's a Small World" ride at Disneyland because the boats kept bottoming out due to increased weights of riders.

Thanks for this.  Might put on the record;  "California Dreamin'", if I can find it.  Still have phonograph though.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

I was always 5' 5'' before spine degeneration.  Yeah, 112lbs sounds about right.  My "good" weight is about 104, not a lot of leeway for cheating.

Yeah, I think you are right.   I was 5'4"  (still am) and was 116 throughout my 20's.  After pregnancy and battles with weight gain from prednisone I am happy if I can stay in the low 130's.   I looked really thin at 116.   I am huge compared to the women on my mom's side and teeny compared to those on my dad's.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

Yeah, I think you are right.   I was 5'4"  (still am) and was 116 throughout my 20's.  After pregnancy and battles with weight gain from prednisone I am happy if I can stay in the low 130's.   I looked really thin at 116.   I am huge compared to the women on my mom's side and teeny compared to those on my dad's.

Am on prednisone too.    It makes me bruise easily on my wrists.

8 hours ago, Twopper said:

I don't either!  And in fact there are really fancy Chinese restaurants which serve very complex and interesting dishes.   

5 hours ago, Carboncat said:

The 60's and 70's were cruel;  you had to be a stick

My Mom was way thinner than I am when she was young back in the 70s (and she still is, she is 1.5 inches shorter than I am and weighs 30 pounds less than I do).   When she got married, she had 20.5" inch waist.  She was 5'9", mind you, not some petite 5'2" pixie, and 29, so not exactly a young thing with raging metabolism.  Always minded her posture, too, unlike me.  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1

Didn't find record but googled it.  There they are as young as they wanna be! Even translated into Spanish "California Suena!"  Mama Cass in white go-go boots, not all that fat after all.  "Greazzing on American Expresscard!  Gotta pay the rent, but keeping out the heat's hard"

1 hour ago, Carboncat said:

Didn't find record but googled it.  There they are as young as they wanna be! Even translated into Spanish "California Suena!"  Mama Cass in white go-go boots, not all that fat after all.  "Greazzing on American Expresscard!  Gotta pay the rent, but keeping out the heat's hard"

The program mentioned she did a lot of yo-yo dieting so I guess there are a lot of pictures/film where she is 225 ish and others where she is 300ish.  I think he considered whether that was part of the reason she died so young at 32.   But after seeing so many shows on morbid obesity, she seems not that heavy by comparison.  And I suspect most of the patients on this show would love to be only 300 or 225.

I know it is only Tuesday night, but I have returned from eating at a very nice restaurant.  I had fried shrimp, french fries, and a salad.   I didn't eat many of the fries and had the salad dressing on the side.  Dr Now would not approve of my eating habit.  Sigh.....   I probably should have had steak and asparagus, but I really didn't want to mortgage the house. 

• Love 2

Good for you for minimizing the fries! Also miss Karen Carpenter.  Had incredible voice.  Her "I'm on the top of the World" was on the radio here last time it actually snowed here.  December 1972.   So sad about eating disorders.  Am sorry for coming off weird to fellow Pounders about remembering all this stuff.  Am home today from work sick and playing on computer.  Is kind of nice though to live long enough to bear witness.😼

By the way, Carboncat loves steamed asparagus.  Of course this might be responsible for horrible cat-gagging hairball noises at 3:00 am.

I'm on the tall side; when I was 115 I was a stick. After menopause I hover around 135 to 140. I don't consider myself obese, but I do have a tummy roll. Back in my teen years and up until about 40, I could eat anything and not gain weight. I also have a messed up back and I'm not as active as I used to be.

I have a Carpenter CD. Such a beautiful voice. Also don't remember Cass being that obese. This show really has changed our perspective, hasn't it? I have to laugh when we're all, 400 lbs, that's not so bad, after watching someone bed bound frying up a 6000 calorie meal, on the bed.

Edited by nokat
spelling
  • Love 1

I have a confession.  The reason I skimped on the fries was because the house dressing for the salad was on the salty side and so were the fries.  Also this place has the best rolls in the universe and I forgot to mention that I ate one;  they aren't that large, but I slathered on the butter.  It was girls' night out, but I managed to skip the alcohol and dessert.  I weighed the same yesterday as this morning so I consider last night a success.   The steak and asparagus were tempting, but there is a restaurant down the road that has really wonderful steaks  and this restaurant specializes in seafood.  

I have lost about 20 pounds. 

7 hours ago, nokat said:

I don't consider myself obese, but I do have a tummy roll.

My tummy is getting more noticeable as my breasts have decided that is where my weight loss will show up.   Off to Soma......

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Twopper said:

My tummy is getting more noticeable as my breasts have decided that is where my weight loss will show up.

First place I lose any weight is breasts. They deflate and head south. My tummy is the last place to show a difference. Can't complain though, it makes a good pillow for pets. :)

• Love 1
On 8/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, Carboncat said:

I remember Mama Cass, too.  Still shiver in delight when  "All the leaves are brown.." starts on the radio.  I remember how she was so "fat" and her weight was in the news, unkindly. and how she supposedly choked to death on a ham sandwich (untrue).  but you're right, she might not have even been all that heavy.  I was always 5' 5'' before spine degeneration.  Yeah, 112lbs sounds about right.  My "good" weight is about 104, not a lot of leeway for cheating.

I think Americans have gotten bigger and heavier over the decades.  Diversity acceptance of beauty might be a good thing.  The 60's and 70's were cruel;  you had to be a stick (Can you pinch an inch  ? )Special K commercial to those younger. You had to be tan and even iron hair.

I remember reading years ago that they had to re-vamp the "It's a Small World" ride at Disneyland because the boats kept bottoming out due to increased weights of riders.

Thanks for this.  Might put on the record;  "California Dreamin'", if I can find it.  Still have phonograph though.

Love that song.  I also liked the Bangles redo from Less Than Zero.

• Love 1

Just googled Creeque Alley by Mama's and Papas and there is Mama Cass looking so uncomfortable singing about herself in her obviously homemade gold choir-robe thing.   Especially with that weird silver-fur thing on John Sebastian's head. Yes, she was fat, and we made fun, but none of that's really fair.  Her hair looks great in video..  I loved the FLUTE in California Dreaming video.  Love the low notes, can't play anymore because of COPD, but still have flute.

Edited by Carboncat
correction
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Just googled Creeque Alley by Mama's and Papas and there is Mama Cass looking so uncomfortable singing about herself in her obviously homemade gold choir-robe thing.   Especially with that weird silver-fur thing on John Sebastian's head. Yes, she was fat, and we made fun, but none of that's really fair.  Her hair looks great in video..  I loved the FLUTE in California Dreaming video.  Love the low notes, can't play anymore because of COPD, but still have flute.

Yes, that was horrible. No one is getting fat sept Mama Cass. And what the hell was on his head? It wasn't even a Seinfeld worthy George Costanza rat fur thing.

• Love 2