Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

At the end he and his wife were shown going out and she said it was nice that at age 21 she could go out and have a little fun like normal people.

She would have a helluva lot more fun if she weren't married to that abusive asshole. (Yes! I watched it, too!) I think it was an arranged marriage and that's why she stuck with him.

Dr. Now's show is inspiring to me, sometimes in surprising ways.  I am about 40 lbs. overweight right now.  Several years ago, inspired by Dr. Now's show, I lost 85 lbs on my own.  This past winter I was very sick with a seemingly never-ending sinus infection, and it was easy for me to sit all day long because I was so wiped out by my illness.  Investigating how many calories it takes to maintain a weight of 600 lbs., I was surprised by the enormous difference in calorie needs between someone with a sedentary lifestyle and a slightly active lifestyle.  I hadn't been overeating, not at first, but I had been slowly putting on weight, apparently just from sitting instead of doing my ordinary work of vacuuming and keeping things tidy. While I was sick, I did the dishes every day, cooked minimally, and kept us in clean clothes.  I didn't do anything outside, like sweeping the sidewalk, and not much indoors.  And I put on 15 pounds.

When my sinuses cleared up, I continued my lazy lifestyle, and I was so discouraged by my weight gain, I started bingeing on crappy baked goods from the grocery store, and pints of ice cream.  My husband and I were complaining about being tired all the time and feeling our age, and it dawned on me that what I was avoiding doing--keeping house, essentially--was not because I was tired and couldn't do it.  I wasn't doing what I needed to do because I didn't want to do it.  I started picking up and putting away--I had about four loads of finished laundry in baskets that I had been putting away a few pieces at a time because I was so "tired."  Yesterday I put all of it away, even the towels and cleaning rags that I keep downstairs.  Wonder of wonders--I wasn't tired.  I felt good, and I slept better than I had in a while.

I got my eating habit back under control, and I feel so much better.  I've lost about half of the 15 pounds I gained.  If it hadn't been for Dr. Now talking about calories, I never would have checked that chart out. 

I said to my husband, "I don't think it's a question of being too old.  It's a question of just not wanting to do anything."  He agreed, but I haven't seen him picking up after himself--yet.  A girl can dream.

So thank you, Dr. Now.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

She would have a helluva lot more fun if she weren't married to that abusive asshole. (Yes! I watched it, too!) I think it was an arranged marriage and that's why she stuck with him.

That's pretty much what I thought too, about her hubs and it being an arranged marriage. 

On 1/14/2018 at 8:20 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I know there are exceptions, special circumstances, health issues, etc., AND I know this is very controversial, but, I think that parents should be held accountable for their young children's health, including weight and that obesity, in a young child, should be investigated as neglect.  A 5 year-old cannot purchase and cook their own food.  To me, it's on the parents if that child is overweight and it's not due to anything but, diet. 

What about the companies that produce and market this stuff, often directly to children, and the government that fails to regulate it?

To me, it's still the parents' responsibility to manage their children's food intake. (After they are older and can buy their own food, it's different.) My philosophy is everything in moderation.  Treats are awesome for parties, celebrations, weekend treat time, etc., but, to subsist on a constant barrage of foods with little if any nutritional value, especially, when you are so overweight that you can barely move, is uncalled for. 

• Love 2

I know there are exceptions, special circumstances, health issues, etc., AND I know this is very controversial, but, I think that parents should be held accountable for their young children's health, including weight and that obesity, in a young child, should be investigated as neglect.

To me, it's still the parents' responsibility to manage their children's food intake. (After they are older and can buy their own food, it's different.) My philosophy is everything in moderation.  Treats are awesome for parties, celebrations, weekend treat time, etc., but, to subsist on a constant barrage of foods with little if any nutritional value, especially, when you are so overweight that you can barely move, is uncalled for. 

First point - child and family services offices are already totally overburdened and underfunded. Adding this entire category of circumstances to the spectre of what needs to be investigated would crush an overtaxed system.

Second point - it's a very dangerous slippery slope to have the state/Federal government dictate how parents should raise their children. As a nation, we enjoy pretty broad latitude as parents to decide how to educate, discipline and care for our children. Certainly there are some behaviors that are outright forbidden but all things considered, that's a pretty narrow list. If you want to start to investigate families for having overweight children, where does it stop? What about families who let their kids have junk food but the kids somehow avoid obesity. I ate tons of junk as a kid and as a teenager but for some reason, I wasn't overweight. A different child eating the exact same thing I did could well have been overweight/obese. So is it right that my family would not be investigated but the family of the obese child would be? 

Finally, as much as I see that it's as inexpensive to eat healthfully as it is to eat badly, that could well be true. I get it. But here's the reality. Some kids get a majority of their meals in school. Those meals are ok but not the healthiest. Poorer families don't always have the means to buy fresh fruits and vegetables - even if they have some money they may not live near a grocery store or have reliable transportation to shop. Here in the DC area, there is an entire section of the city east of the Anacostia River that has no grocery store. People buy their food at convenience stores. Sure you can buy a sandwich or yogurt at a 7-11 but a cup of yogurt will leave your kid still feeling hungry. A bag of chips will not. No one wants to send their kid to bed with an empty stomach. Not to mention that some families don't have a way to prepare food; families living in shelters for example, usually don't have access to kitchen facilities including cooking and refrigeration.

Finally, finally - when you have very limited money to spend on food, you're going to spend it on food you know your kids will eat (see above about not wanting kids to go to bed hungry). Middle and upper class parents will say "if they're hungry, eventually they'll eat what you offer." They can also afford to toss leftover vegetables that are uneaten on their kids' plates or toss fruit that has gone bad in the refrigerator. But if I'm a poor mom with $10 to buy dinner, I'm going to buy dinner off the dollar menu at McDonalds because a) I can walk to it from my apartment with my kids; 2) I know they will eat it and not be hungry and 3) it's one of precious few treats I can afford to give my kids.

I'm not saying that poor families can't have a healthy diet but the challenges are enormous and I don't think that criminalizing childhood diets is going to do anything to solve the problem.

• Love 12

The interesting thing to note is that children who are placed into residential homes are feed food bank items. Often, these are carb-loaded junk foods. They do get milk and other healthier options from WIC but not enough to be considered a healthy diet. Putting these kids into overly full foster homes or residential treatment homes due to overcrowding is not the answer.

Seniors face the same thing in government funded facilities. They are not likely to gain as much weight due to poor diet because they simply eat less as they get older anyway. 

• Love 1

They do get milk and other healthier options from WIC

WIC (Supplemental Nutrition for Women, Infants and Children) provides payment for some foods for pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers and young children, not children older than five living in residential treatment facilities. Kids living with foster families eat whatever their foster families feed them but they don't get WIC payments to purchase food for them. WIC is limited to a list of specific foods that are considered healthy while Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC - or commonly referred to as "food stamps") can be used for pretty much any food.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, knuckles491 said:

Does anyone remember a show that was on TV about 10 years ago about an obesity clinic in New York?  I think it was called Broad- something Clinic.  I believe the patients stayed there for an extended period of time. One young guy was the director.  People were always finding ways to have  pizza and fried chicken smuggled in. Just looked it up, it was Brookhaven Clinic.

Yep, I remember it. There was one guy who was a big drama queen, lost all the weight, became a bigger asshole and then gained it all back. Reminds me a lot of Robert who died on 600.

He had a hissy fit because Richard Simmons didn't pay enough attention to him.

They had groups of people who would smuggle in food every night.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, knuckles491 said:

Does anyone remember a show that was on TV about 10 years ago about an obesity clinic in New York?  I think it was called Broad- something Clinic.  I believe the patients stayed there for an extended period of time. One young guy was the director.  People were always finding ways to have  pizza and fried chicken smuggled in. Just looked it up, it was Brookhaven Clinic.

I remember that show, too.  It was crazy the amount of food that was sneaked in, and the staff knew about it.  The young guy who was in charge did explain at one point that if they confiscated the forbidden food, or intercepted it, it would interfere with the patients' learning to make good choices or be responsible for their intake.  It kind of didn't make sense to me; I mean, here were these folks confined in a totally artificial environment with all their food weighed and measured for them, with a daily program of exercise and therapy, and they were supposed to be developing independence re: what kinds of food they should eat?

There was that Richard Simmons guy named Michael, who was a famous success of his--was he in Brookdale?  I know he relapsed and regained all the weight (any "You're Whole" fans here?).  I remember that he had to have a wall of his house removed to get him out.  I think he did become a little proprietary about RS.

And btw, good on Richard Simmons for being such a kind person. Creepy and weird as he was/is, he had a good heart and understood.  I'll never forget his saying that physical contact with super-fat people was important because nobody wanted to touch them.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Roasted asparagus is totally yummy as well. Place the asparagus in an oven-proof skillet, add a teaspoon or two of olive oil, and rub the stalks around in the olive oil real good. Sprinkle with a bit of salt (kosher or sea salt is best) and freshly cracked black pepper. Put the lid on the skillet and roast in the oven at 425 for about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven, plate, and sprinkle each serving with a few drops o

I love roasted asparagus just this way. I also sometimes roast it with grape tomatoes and put it on pasta, with fresh grated parmesan cheese! 

I would take roasted asparagus over a McDonald's burger any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

• Love 9

Now that spring has finally arrived, it's time to get back on my program. Over the winter, some of the pounds I lost followed the trail of breadcrumbs back to my thighs. I'm setting up my new Fitbit while watching One Ton Family Supersized. It's very motivational.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, aliya said:

I wanted to attend a 3 day seminar on how to eat with diabetes and other diseases. Some blood work would be taken and there would be medication review and revision. This was done by doctors and nurses, not some diet guru. My insurance wouldn't pay for it. They would (and continue) pay for my meds to the tune of 14K a year and if I'd wound up in the hospital needing an amputation, etc. This doctor has been doing these seminars multiple times a year for maybe 20 years, but no payment from my insurance. While many diseases react favorably to changes in diet, diabetes has to be one of the few where you can reverse the course of the disease, get off of meds, improve Syndrome X, etc., by how you eat, but no...   Joslin also offers this type of seminar, but they aren't covered, either. 

Are you near a major city? If so, you might check out this all day program called Taking Control of Your Diabetes.  It's for Type I and II diabetics AND their families.  I highly recommend it. It's a great learning experience, fun and inexpensive. I met my endocrinologist there and it saved my life.   If those who can't afford the small fee, it's free.  I attend every time they have it in Raleigh, NC.  They come here now every other year.

https://tcoyd.org/conference-event-schedule/

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Are you near a major city? If so, you might check out this all day program called Taking Control of Your Diabetes.  It's for Type I and II diabetics AND their families.  I highly recommend it. It's a great learning experience, fun and inexpensive. I met my endocrinologist there and it saved my life.   If those who can't afford the small fee, it's free.  I attend every time they have it in Raleigh, NC.  They come here now every other year.

https://tcoyd.org/conference-event-schedule/

Thanks for the info. It looks like the nearest to me is Novi, MI. Being familiar with the area, Novi is not where I'd like to spend my vacation money/time. : )  That said, what is their claim to fame - do they try to get people off meds or are they sticking by the ADA play book?  You can message me if this is going to far afield.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Mothra said:

I remember that show, too.  It was crazy the amount of food that was sneaked in, and the staff knew about it.  The young guy who was in charge did explain at one point that if they confiscated the forbidden food, or intercepted it, it would interfere with the patients' learning to make good choices or be responsible for their intake.  It kind of didn't make sense to me; I mean, here were these folks confined in a totally artificial environment with all their food weighed and measured for them, with a daily program of exercise and therapy, and they were supposed to be developing independence re: what kinds of food they should eat?

There was that Richard Simmons guy named Michael, who was a famous success of his--was he in Brookdale?  I know he relapsed and regained all the weight (any "You're Whole" fans here?).  I remember that he had to have a wall of his house removed to get him out.  I think he did become a little proprietary about RS.

And btw, good on Richard Simmons for being such a kind person. Creepy and weird as he was/is, he had a good heart and understood.  I'll never forget his saying that physical contact with super-fat people was important because nobody wanted to touch them.

Michael died in 2013. When my son was born, I lost the baby weight by "Sweatin' to the Oldies". He was on there, thin as can be. Then I saw he gained it back. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I can tell you that being able to look up calorie counts online works in my case. I don't eat most fast food simply because there aren't many vegetarian options, but I was sorely tempted by the ads for one company's milkshakes. Oh, I wanted one soooo bad. Then I looked up the calories for a SMALL (10 ounce) and it came in at 1220.... I'm like "Jesus H. Tap dancing Christ, that's more than half a day's calories!!!" 

Cured me of wanting a milkshake. 

• Love 6
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I can tell you that being able to look up calorie counts online works in my case. I don't eat most fast food simply because there aren't many vegetarian options, but I was sorely tempted by the ads for one company's milkshakes. Oh, I wanted one soooo bad. Then I looked up the calories for a SMALL (10 ounce) and it came in at 1220.... I'm like "Jesus H. Tap dancing Christ, that's more than half a day's calories!!!" 

But, but, but.... How in the Hell could a ten ounce shake be 1220 calories!? I don't get it. If I made my own shake at home with say a cup of milk, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and some strawberries -- absolutely love strawberry shakes -- no way would that be 1220 calories. What could they possibly be adding? Lard?

Edited to add: Just doing a little internet research, one cup of whole milk, plus one four ounce regular scoop of vanilla ice cream, and one cup of strawberries adds up to approximately 425 calories and would weigh about sixteen ounces. Definitely NOT diet food but way less than 1220 calories. Again, what else could they possibly be adding? A cup of lard plus a stick of butter and a scoop of bear fat? SMDH.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I’m terrible - I love fast food! And I admit it! But I’ve done online nutritional research so I know what foods are RELATIVELY ok at my regular fast food haunts. Whenever I go, I know exactly what I’ll be getting before I even pull in because there are just a few items on my allowed list. But last Christmas I was at a fast food place (won’t give their name just because I like them so much!) and they had a special “holiday shake” on the menu. One of those “for a limited time” things. Wasn’t even on their online menu. It looked so good I asked the lady at the window if she knew how many calories in a small. I thought I might just splurge - after all, it was Christmas! She went and looked and said 1,810!!! I nearly fainted. Drove away fast and never looked back!  ?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Michael died in 2013. When my son was born, I lost the baby weight by "Sweatin' to the Oldies". He was on there, thin as can be. Then I saw he gained it back. 

Michael Hebranko. Yes. I remember him from Brookhaven as well. No matter what he did to change, he couldn't seem to stick with it. 

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Being lactose intolerant, my milkshake days are over, but I make them at home with soy or almond milk, frozen fruit or - get this - sugar free jello mix. Orange mix in 'milk' tastes just like an orangesicle. It's fantastic - and a lot fewer calories than anything from a fast food restaurant.

• Love 4

Be careful with fast food shakes. McDonald's uses pancake mix to make the mix go further and be thicker. Yuck. At least the ones at Sonic and Dairy Queen are real ice cream. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JJ1 said:

I’m terrible - I love fast food! And I admit it! But I’ve done online nutritional research so I know what foods are RELATIVELY ok at my regular fast food haunts. Whenever I go, I know exactly what I’ll be getting before I even pull in because there are just a few items on my allowed list. But last Christmas I was at a fast food place (won’t give their name just because I like them so much!) and they had a special “holiday shake” on the menu. One of those “for a limited time” things. Wasn’t even on their online menu. It looked so good I asked the lady at the window if she knew how many calories in a small. I thought I might just splurge - after all, it was Christmas! She went and looked and said 1,810!!! I nearly fainted. Drove away fast and never looked back!  ?

Every so often I crave McDonalds, but I usually stick with a regular hamburger and small fries. Just looked at their online calculator and that's about 420 calories. I get water to drink (sometimes with just a splash of Hawaiian punch if I want some flavor). Though usually after I eat it I'm just reminded of why I don't eat McDonalds very often. ;) Haven't had a shake there in years.

1 hour ago, aliya said:

Being lactose intolerant, my milkshake days are over, but I make them at home with soy or almond milk, frozen fruit or - get this - sugar free jello mix. Orange mix in 'milk' tastes just like an orangesicle. It's fantastic - and a lot fewer calories than anything from a fast food restaurant.

When I was in college I worked in our little campus food place, which had a milkshake machine, and a coworker taught me how to make a faux Orange Julius with orange juice, vanilla ice cream, and sugar. I still make it occasionally but without the added sugar so it's not quite so sweet (not like OJ and ice cream don't have plenty of sugar, anyway), and it's more like a creamsicle that way. (And now I want one but I have neither OJ nor ice cream in my house.) 

I go through phases of making smoothies. Haven't done it in a while but now that summer seems to be here (not ready for that!) I might have to start again. I've got plenty of frozen fruit and a while back I accidentally put a tub of Greek yogurt in the freezer (I must have been tired or something; I have no idea how long it was even in there before I noticed it) so I figure I'll just use it for smoothies.

• Love 1

"Malnutrition literally means bad nutrition - that's anyone who isn't adequately nourished.Millions of people are malnourished because they are overweight, as well as having too much sugar, salt or cholesterol in their blood,

The 2016 Global Nutrition Report said 44% of countries were now experiencing "very serious levels" of both under-nutrition and obesity.

It means one in three people suffers from malnutrition in some form, according to the study of 129 countries.

Being malnourished is "the new normal"

• Love 3
On 5/3/2018 at 8:55 AM, calpurnia99 said:

You are right Zoe mom, and the reason we have so many people who weigh 600 pounds and up is we have such an abundance of junky food we can easily buy and eat. For some they have this available so they will just eat as much as they possibly can since it is right there. These people have no off switch- I like it, it is good so I'm going to have massive quantities of it. This problem did not exist in other eras in history. This is what we have done to our society with the abundance of food not from nature. It's going against our natural biology. I think wow, we have come a long way..

It's not just the abundance of food...it's the "I want it/I deserve it" immediate gratification mentality, and the intolerance for anything that's uncomfortable (uncomfortable in this case being denying gratification).   

On 5/3/2018 at 1:25 PM, Elizzikra said:

I wonder if it was more that Brandy didn't want to believe how many calories she was taking in. Honestly, until I really think about it, I have to wonder how a hamburger from McDonald's can possibly have over 1,000 calories. But then you look at the quantity and quality of the meat, the cheese, the bun, the mayo... It's not hard to get there. So maybe it wasn't so much that she couldn't figure out how many calories something had as much as she just didn't want to believe that her regular lunch had more than her entire day's allotment of 1200 calories in it.

A McDonald's hamburger has 250 calories.

On 5/3/2018 at 4:32 PM, AVM said:

Wrong,Dr Now told other patients they do not need the food,   Fact is fat is stored unused calories  and they could go without eating ....none of them would starve to death  ... They could lives with just water for months.

But the point that Kid was making was "you need to learn what foods are your triggers and avoid those".  Eating nothing for months would f*ck with their metabolism and f*ck with their adjustment in their life after the surgery, since they would have had no practice at all with eating in moderation and eating healthy.       

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

When I was in college I worked in our little campus food place, which had a milkshake machine, and a coworker taught me how to make a faux Orange Julius ...

I never heard of Orange Julius until I went to Ann Arbor. Everybody out there loved it. I never developed a taste for it. That and Vernor's. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, aliya said:

I never heard of Orange Julius until I went to Ann Arbor. Everybody out there loved it. I never developed a taste for it. That and Vernor's. 

There was one in one of the malls when I was a kid. It was there or Great Adventure. It was a special treat.

• Love 1

Yes, I think about my own situation when I watch these shows on morbid obesity.  Last week I grabbed my phone and started rechecking my own BMI. lol

OH, over the last 10 days, I lost 5 pounds!  This is huge, because, my previous 50 pound loss has been at a glacial pace. I mean slow.  Which is what I wanted to avoid loose skin, but, 5 that quickly?  I gotta figure out what I did.  I actually think it was due to stress. I had a hell of a last 2 weeks with work and I think it caused me to burn more calories.  lol  I don't advise that though. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Be careful with fast food shakes. McDonald's uses pancake mix to make the mix go further and be thicker. Yuck. At least the ones at Sonic and Dairy Queen are real ice cream. 

I looked up the ingredients and there definitely ISN'T pancake mix in mcdonalds shakes. Some places put pancake mix into their scrambled eggs though.

Edited by Singingflutist
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, aliya said:

6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate

1 cup milk, lowfat is okay

1 cup water

1⁄4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

8 ice cubes

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

It can be challenging. I like Subway's veggie delite, only 230 calories per 6 inch (no cheese or fatty dressings). I'll also request burgers without the meat and just the vegetables on them (I find most "veggie patties" yucky tasting and many are often high in calories). 

What's really bothersome is when you look at the calories on some fast food "salads"--many are between 700-1200! Ridiculous! People are better off with a burger and a cup of ice water. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Singingflutist said:

I looked up the ingredients and there definitely ISN'T pancake mix in mcdonalds shakes. Some places put pancake mix into their scrambled eggs though.

Yeah, I looked up the ingredients and did a Snopes check. No pancake mix. No tiny Styrofoam balls, either.

• Love 1

When I worked in the cafeteria in college, the scrambled eggs had something in them to keep from going bad. After awhile they would start to turn green. We had this southern chef and she would yell: BRAH-YIN BRAH-YIN (Brian)  Them eggs turn green yet???? It was some kind of preservative. They came in a giant bucket.

• Love 1
On 4/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, AZChristian said:

Addressing some thoughts that came up in the Jennifer and Marissa thread about obesity being a result of sexual abuse.

I can only speak for myself.  I was sexually abused for 12 years (4-16) by my female birth vessel's live-in boyfriend.  (You can tell from how I refer to them that there's not a lot of "mother" talk coming from me.)  I did not become obese because of it.  I was fairly thin until I was in my 40s and a doctor put me on Paxil for depression.  I then gained well over 100 pounds (the medication killed my desire to do much other than lying on the couch, and giving into my desire to eat).  As soon as I went off the Paxil, I lost 140 pounds, but now that I'm in my 70s, I struggle every day to balance eating and exercise to keep my weight under control.  

While I did not gain weight, I think I turned to religion to "protect" myself from the abuse.  I was hyper-religious for many years.  Now, I'm still a Christian, but we don't go to church.  Learning to enjoy the intimate part of marriage was difficult, but with a loving husband we got past that hurdle.

We all have our ways of dealing with abuse.  But to abuse yourself is not a wise choice.  Eating to the 600+ pound range is self-abuse.  We need to love ourselves more than that.

That is a truly sad story @AZChristian.  You're strong to share it.

I think you just answered another question I've wondered about.  SO MANY of the show participants have big crosses on their walls.  Many who don't have them on walls wear crosses on clothing or jewelry.  I wonder if the reason for this is what you also experienced.

• Love 4
On 4/23/2018 at 5:46 PM, ShortyMac said:

Search Schenee Murry and you'll get her criminal history...

https://pay.indy.gov/incident_reports/search

OMG there is a full page of crimes there! Pick-pocketing, hit & run and more......... older cases so clearly she was not so obese yet.  

But oh, she's such a devout and perfect Christian, right?  

Nasty hypocrite.

• Love 1

I posted about a week ago about how my weight was creeping up due to a low activity level, and that I figured out that it wasn't that I couldn't do more; it was that I didn't want to move more.  So I worked on doing stuff instead of sitting here at the computer, and my weight stabilized and then dropped a few pounds.  Then last night I was suddenly depressed, for no apparent reason, and bought myself a "share-size" bag of peanut M&Ms.  Well, as well all know, they were wonderful going down, but as soon as the last one was eaten, I felt like shit.  I went to bed and woke up even more depressed.  My husband and I record a couple of late-night shows and then watch them first thing in the morning, and while we were doing this, I burst into tears.  It was just awful.  My husband made me poached eggs on toast, a specialty of his, but I still was crying.  Then I thought of the poker videos we'd seen on Youtube.  Our son had gotten us a magic box that makes our tv able to connect to the internet, so we put on poker videos.  I want to share what made me feel better within minutes:  Phil Helmuth making an ass of himself.  I do not play poker and don't know anything about it, but for some reason watching this guy behave like a baby/jerk/asshole/you name it cheered me right up.  It was magic.  Other people must feel that way, too, because there are about a million videos on youtube like this.  I pass this info along in the hope it will help someone else.  Next time I find myself wanting to binge, I'm going to try the Helmuth treatment first. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Singingflutist said:

My sister in law worked there and told me they did when she was there. I'm glad that that's not on the list of ingredients anymore, because yuck. 

(edited)
11 hours ago, Mothra said:

I do not play poker and don't know anything about it, but for some reason watching this guy behave like a baby/jerk/asshole/you name it cheered me right up.  It was magic.  Other people must feel that way, too, because there are about a million videos on youtube like this.  I pass this info along in the hope it will help someone else.  Next time I find myself wanting to binge, I'm going to try the Helmuth treatment first. 

That was...interesting. Like watching a foreign film.

Didn't understand any of it, but I still watched it all, so you know I have no life. ;-) isn't it kind of cheating to wear sunglasses (indoors) so people can't see your eyes?

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, AZChristian said:

This guy lost 288 pounds in 15 months without surgery.  You just have to rethink priorities and make changes.  Good for him!!!!

I googled the guy so I could read the story somewhere besides Fox News.  And - surprise? - he has a GoFundMe up!  What the heck?  Did he hire a PR firm to get him on the news so people would see his GoFundMe?  Why do these folks feel that the public owes them money?  Ick.  Yay for his weight loss, but stop being a leech on society.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Trees said:

I googled the guy so I could read the story somewhere besides Fox News.  And - surprise? - he has a GoFundMe up!  What the heck?  Did he hire a PR firm to get him on the news so people would see his GoFundMe?  Why do these folks feel that the public owes them money?  Ick.  Yay for his weight loss, but stop being a leech on society.

What's the GoFundMe for?  At least he did something positive and noteworthy, unlike Schenee and her ilk.

3 minutes ago, Trees said:

GoFundMe irritates the crap outta me. Lotsa stuff I need--like 2 surgeries--but I take overtime and wait until we can afford the co-pay. Maybe I should start a GFM page--I need money and don't wanna work for it, so just give it to me! UGH!

• Love 4
(edited)

Like many of you, those GoFundMe requests for money for elaborate weddings, getting a set of bigger boobs or, the ones by Schenee so she can "share her truth" are very offensive to me. But, I can totally support his request for funds for skin removal surgery. Let's face it, that person is disfigured and only wants to be restored to a normal state. To my knowledge, these types of procedures are not covered by insurance. And before anyone says so what, they did it to themselves, it occurs to me that there are many people who get reconstructive surgery who also contributed to their own disfigurement. For instance, if you get behind the wheel and drive drunk and injure yourself in a really bad car accident or practice extreme sports as a hobby or even negligently start a fire and suffer severe burns, although you caused your own disfigurement, if you have insurance, they will cover the treatments, hospitalizations and/or surgeries needed to restore you to some semblance of normalcy. Why shouldn't skin removal also be covered?

I think it's just our society's very real loathing of fat/obese people and I totally disagree with an insurance company refusing to restore a human being to normalcy because of their prejudice regarding how that person came to need that surgery. What is deeply offensive to me is that a person has to appear on a reality tv show and bare their bodies and personal lives or beg for money online just to get what should be covered by whatever type of insurance they have.

I applaud him for his successful massive weight loss and hope he also succeeds in raising the money he needs.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 10
(edited)

A McDonald's hamburger has 250 calories.

I'm assuming that's a regular plain hamburger. I'm thinking of the big ones with double meat, cheese, bacon - the "specialty" supersize ones. Or maybe I was thinking the entire meal - big burger, fries and a soda. My point - you can ingest an entire day's calories in a single meal there and not even feel like you are eating a ton of food.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 1
On 5/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, Trees said:

OMG there is a full page of crimes there! Pick-pocketing, hit & run and more......... older cases so clearly she was not so obese yet.  

Including rape! What the hell?

On 4/23/2018 at 5:46 PM, ShortyMac said:

Search Schenee Murry and you'll get her criminal history...

https://pay.indy.gov/incident_reports/search

Been catching up on this topic today and, wow, that's an "impressive" list, in a very bad way of course. Wonder if she ever served any time for these offenses seeing that several were of a violent nature and included the use of a knife and a gun?

Since turnabout is fair play, I think we all have right to "ax" Schenee "Do you believe in God?"

Apparently not.

• Love 4
On 4/4/2018 at 7:24 AM, IOU Payne said:

I adopted a rescue kitty from the SPCA yesterday.  He's a 22-pound purring machine!  He was listed as a humanitarian adoption because of his obesity, although his "fighting weight" will probably be around 16 pounds.  My other cat, Max, is about 15 pounds and can cheerfully lose a few as well.  My vet (who hasn't met the new cat yet - his name is Diesel because he's the size of a freakin' locomotive!) will probably put them on a weight loss program.  They have one, like Weight Watchers for cats.  I can see it now, the entire household counting points.....  But there's got to be a better way!

Can Dr. Meow come to my house to talk to my cats about their eating habit?   Can we have a show called My Nine 22-Pound Lives?  Does poor Diesel have to have closed captioning for his meows that say "Oww my paws?"

OMG you had me laughing so hard I scared MY cats! 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Like many of you, those GoFundMe requests for money for elaborate weddings, getting a set of bigger boobs or, the ones by Schenee so she can "share her truth" are very offensive to me. But, I can totally support his request for funds for skin removal surgery. Let's face it, that person is disfigured and only wants to be restored to a normal state. To my knowledge, these types of procedures are not covered by insurance. And before anyone says so what, they did it to themselves, it occurs to me that there are many people who get reconstructive surgery who also contributed to their own disfigurement. For instance, if you get behind the wheel and drive drunk and injure yourself in a really bad car accident or practice extreme sports as a hobby or even negligently start a fire and suffer severe burns, although you caused your own disfigurement, if you have insurance, they will cover the treatments, hospitalizations and/or surgeries needed to restore you to some semblance of normalcy. Why shouldn't skin removal also be covered?

I think it's just our society's very real loathing of fat/obese people and I totally disagree with an insurance company refusing to restore a human being to normalcy because of their prejudice regarding how that person came to need that surgery. What is deeply offensive to me is that a person has to appear on a reality tv show and bare their bodies and personal lives or beg for money online just to get what should be covered by whatever type of insurance they have.

I applaud him for his successful massive weight loss and hope he also succeeds in raising the money he needs.

I agree that he needs skin removal surgery. But why the mindset that random people should give him money so he can accomplish it?

I wonder how many other 600-pounders have made up GoFundMes?  Remember "Ow Ma Laaaygs"' multiple tries. and them filming it on the show?