Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Don't be too sure! A friend of mine found out she's pregnant with twins. And she's 46.  

OMG! Now that would be a shocker.  lol  But, for me that ship has sailed!  lol  I wouldn't mind though.  It would be a big adjustment, but, I'd welcome it.  I'll post if that miracle should come about, that's for sure.  I'd even start a new thread for it! 

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG! Now that would be a shocker.  lol  But, for me that ship has sailed!  lol  I wouldn't mind though.  It would be a big adjustment, but, I'd welcome it.  I'll post if that miracle should come about, that's for sure.  I'd even start a new thread for it! 

Seems to me that this would be the basis of a new TLC reality series . . . Miraculous Post-Menopausal Pregnancies.

Now, if you weigh over 600 pounds or you're a dwarf, you've REALLY got potential!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Seems to me that this would be the basis of a new TLC reality series . . . Miraculous Post-Menopausal Pregnancies.

Now, if you weigh over 600 pounds or you're a dwarf, you've REALLY got potential!!!!

Yeah, sounds like a winner.  But, I'm not a dwarf and am average height, with just few more pounds to shed to achieve my normal weight. Kinda boring. lol 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm still loving those orange diet Sunkists though.  I bought some more and enjoy one a day.  If I can limit it to one a day, I'll be okay.  

I like the diet orange (I'm diabetic and only drink diet drinks), but pretty much gave it up so I could concentrate on my diet Pepsi addiction.

What I really want is a diet ginger beer. I love that spicy soda, but have never seen a diet version in the store. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, aliya said:

I like the diet orange (I'm diabetic and only drink diet drinks), but pretty much gave it up so I could concentrate on my diet Pepsi addiction.

What I really want is a diet ginger beer. I love that spicy soda, but have never seen a diet version in the store. 

Oh, I see.  Before the Diet Sunkist, I was drinking a Diet Coke a day.  (I'm a type I diabetic.)  At one time Diet Pepsi wasn't using Aspartame, but, I think they have resumed doing it now.  

Have you seen the Diet Coke Ginger Lime?  They have a whole new line with various flavors. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, aliya said:

Gosling’s makes a diet ginger beer! My grocery usually stocks it with the alcohol mixers (near wine and beer). It has a pretty good spicy zing. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't drink sodas (well, once in a blue moon I feel like it and I might have half a glass of Pepsi or Sprite)...  I buy sparkling mineral water and unsweetened apple juice and mix them about 1/4 to 1/3 of the glass juice and the rest is mineral water.  I get all the bubbles and no chemicals or too much sugar.  This kind of juice/mineral water mix is very popular in German-speaking countries.  I got hooked during my summer study abroad in Germany.  First time I thought it tasted gross, second time I thought there was something to it - and by the fourth time I was hooked. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2

Have you seen the Diet Coke Ginger Lime?  They have a whole new line with various flavors. 

I'm confused. Are these Diet Cokes that have flavor added (e.g. it's a diet coke but tastes like it has ginger and lime added) or are they sodas of the flavor (e.g. it's a mango soda - no cola)? If it's the former, they sound revolting. A straight up mango flavored soda might be nice though.

(edited)
On 7/7/2018 at 9:40 PM, ilovebeaarthur said:

Gosling’s makes a diet ginger beer! My grocery usually stocks it with the alcohol mixers (near wine and beer). It has a pretty good spicy zing. 

I don't drink, so it wouldn't occur to me to look in that section, but I will try to remember the next time I go to the store.

Re the coke with flavors. I don't think so. Not a coke fan - and I like my cola straight up, no flavors. I do drink Sparking Ice water for a carbonated flavored water, tho. 

Edited by aliya
On 7/7/2018 at 10:06 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Hey, I had a hard boiled egg too, but, no pickles!  lol  I'm no longer in the baby making days, (over 40) so, I knew it was not THAT kind of craving, but, it did make me go hmm........ lol.  I'm still loving those orange diet Sunkists though.  I bought some more and enjoy one a day.  If I can limit it to one a day, I'll be okay.  I suppose there are worse things that I could consume. I had a piece of apple pie and a hot dog on July 4th, but, I'm not regretting it.  My philosophy is to enjoy life and my food, just not overdo it on the treats.  I'm back to focusing on the foods that help me be healthy. 

Don't be so sure. A relative of mine had a child at 41 (her youngest had just turned 21). When I asked "how'd that happen?" she said "I thought I was done with all that!" LOL.

• Love 1

I thought this might be interesting.

I used to check this girl’s YouTube, she was a crazy “I’m an anime doll” weeaboo person, and she had the most insane anime makeup tutorials. 

Turns out she had completely unnecessary bariatric surgery!

On 7/13/2018 at 2:24 PM, kokapetl said:

I thought this might be interesting.

I used to check this girl’s YouTube, she was a crazy “I’m an anime doll” weeaboo person, and she had the most insane anime makeup tutorials. 

Turns out she had completely unnecessary bariatric surgery!

What is with her eyes? Is that the camera or did is there surgery to make them look that big? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Contact lenses. This girl’s life is so fucked up 

Hmm.  I guess it's not just the pupil that makes it look strange to me. It's the whiteness of the sclera, the bigness, and the eyes seeming so far apart. It also seems like she has a flat or missing nose bridge, like the anime cartoons. I hope girlfriend realizes that in another 5 years no one wants a woman (and I use the term loosely here) who does that to herself. It's not feminine, it's not appealing, and it doesn't make me want to hire you to do more than sell popcorn in the movie theater. As a professor who frequently had grad students with all kinds of hair color, I couldn't take a grad student seriously who looked like this. Shoot, I couldn't take an undergrad seriously who did this.

• Love 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, aliya said:

Hmm.  I guess it's not just the pupil that makes it look strange to me. It's the whiteness of the sclera, the bigness, and the eyes seeming so far apart. It also seems like she has a flat or missing nose bridge, like the anime cartoons. I hope girlfriend realizes that in another 5 years no one wants a woman (and I use the term loosely here) who does that to herself. It's not feminine, it's not appealing, and it doesn't make me want to hire you to do more than sell popcorn in the movie theater. As a professor who frequently had grad students with all kinds of hair color, I couldn't take a grad student seriously who looked like this. Shoot, I couldn't take an undergrad seriously who did this.

She uses white eyeliner to make her eyes look bigger. 

Sweet Jesus, things have gotten rough for the poor girl since last I checked. 

At least her smothering mother seems to be gone. 

Edited by kokapetl
5 hours ago, kokapetl said:

She uses white eyeliner to make her eyes look bigger. 

Sweet Jesus, things have gotten rough for the poor girl since last I checked. 

At least her smothering mother seems to be gone. 

I just looked up 'weeaboo.' I thought it was a mistake on your cell phone or something. : )

• Love 1

Regarding quoting a post from the live chat, into the non-live thread, which I couldn’t figure out how to do on my phone and apparently wasn’t alone in having issues with ...

On 7/21/2018 at 9:10 AM, Elizzikra said:

I've never been able to figure that out - iPad either. Anyone who knows how, I'm all ears (eyes, actually) over here.

I figured out out! People with technical talent can quit reading now. No actual spoilers for anything, it’s just a lengthy description. 

Spoiler
  • Find the post you want to quote
  • click the icon at the bottom that looks like +”
  • when you click it a little black and white box pops up that says “Quote 1 post.” 
  • then navigate to the tread you want to post in
  • click to expand the “reply” box
  • click where you want the quote to go
  • click the white part of the little black and white box, which hopefully should have followed you along
  • then, at least for me, the quote gets inserted 
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, jennblevins said:

Regarding quoting a post from the live chat, into the non-live thread, which I couldn’t figure out how to do on my phone and apparently wasn’t alone in having issues with ...

I figured out out! People with technical talent can quit reading now. No actual spoilers for anything, it’s just a lengthy description. 

Reveal hidden contents
  • Find the post you want to quote
  • click the icon at the bottom that looks like +”
  • when you click it a little black and white box pops up that says “Quote 1 post.” 
  • then navigate to the tread you want to post in
  • click to expand the “reply” box
  • click where you want the quote to go
  • click the white part of the little black and white box, which hopefully should have followed you along
  • then, at least for me, the quote gets inserted 

OMG - you have totally changed my life. Thank you!

• Love 1

I think I've been shamed into getting into an exercise routine.  My 81 year-old father gets up at 6:00 a.m. 5 days a week and goes to the Y for Silver Sneakers (Medicare approved workout program)!  Yeah, I need to get my butt in gear!  lol 

• Love 4

I just came back from Houston yesterday.  I did actually check whether I would be far from Dr. Now's clinic (and I was, so I didn't go there)!  And while the climate was not what I would choose for myself, it wasn't nearly as unbearable as I expected.  I wish I had a chance to watch Wednesday's episode live from Houston - it would be fun - but I was stuffing my face instead at a local steakhouse. 

• Love 3

Here are some articles on how easy it is to regain weight after weight loss (brought over from Sean & Dottie's thread).

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

"When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes."

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html

"Scientists are still learning why a weight-reduced body behaves so differently from a similar-size body that has not dieted. Muscle biopsies taken before, during and after weight loss show that once a person drops weight, their muscle fibers undergo a transformation, making them more like highly efficient “slow twitch” muscle fibers. A result is that after losing weight, your muscles burn 20 to 25 percent fewer calories during everyday activity and moderate aerobic exercise than those of a person who is naturally at the same weight. That means a dieter who thinks she is burning 200 calories during a brisk half-hour walk is probably using closer to 150 to 160 calories."

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/health/biological-changes-thwart-weight-loss-efforts-study-finds.html

The results show, once again, Dr. Leibel said, that losing weight “is not a neutral event,” and that it is no accident that more than 90 percent of people who lose a lot of weight gain it back. “You are putting your body into a circumstance it will resist,” he said. “You are, in a sense, more metabolically normal when you are at a higher body weight.”

• Love 6
(edited)

Hey! I was watching the British show "Supersize vs Superskinny", and there was an appearance by Bettie Jo Elmore. (Maybe someone has pointed this out before, but I didn't see it.) I have a lot of issues with "S vs. S", and one of them is that they take the fat participant to America to show them the TRUE HORROR that awaits them if they don't shape up. Really? You can't find any super-obese people in the U.K.? It's really that important to you to try to convince your British selves that "at least we're not as bad as the AMERICANS"? Okay. Anyway, it's season 7, episode 5, and the shows are all available on youtube.

Edited by Azubah
Names are important.
On 7/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, dahling said:

Here are some articles on how easy it is to regain weight after weight loss (brought over from Sean & Dottie's thread).

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

"When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes."

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html

"Scientists are still learning why a weight-reduced body behaves so differently from a similar-size body that has not dieted. Muscle biopsies taken before, during and after weight loss show that once a person drops weight, their muscle fibers undergo a transformation, making them more like highly efficient “slow twitch” muscle fibers. A result is that after losing weight, your muscles burn 20 to 25 percent fewer calories during everyday activity and moderate aerobic exercise than those of a person who is naturally at the same weight. That means a dieter who thinks she is burning 200 calories during a brisk half-hour walk is probably using closer to 150 to 160 calories."

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/health/biological-changes-thwart-weight-loss-efforts-study-finds.html

The results show, once again, Dr. Leibel said, that losing weight “is not a neutral event,” and that it is no accident that more than 90 percent of people who lose a lot of weight gain it back. “You are putting your body into a circumstance it will resist,” he said. “You are, in a sense, more metabolically normal when you are at a higher body weight.”

I'm not able to access these links you provide above, but, wish I could. I don't subscribe to the NY Times. 

It's an interesting theory, that the post surgery patient has a poor metabolism, but, isn't it more about the calories consumed?    I would think the bariatric patient has an advantage in that respect.  One feature of the surgery is that it interferes with the body's ability to convert most of the food into fuel,  so, many calories are not utilized and you continue to lose weight.  And, since exercise doesn't really translate into weight loss for most people, I fail to see how it would cause an obese person to not be able to maintain their lower body weight.  Running, walking, biking,etc.  burn modest a amount of calories for anyone, so, relying on that as a way to maintain weight wouldn't be reasonable or reliable.

And, when Dr. Now has described the high percentage of bariatric patients who regain their weight, I always thought it was due to them not remaining on a  healthy eating plan.  Returning to poor eating habits and overeating are huge issues, that I could see as the main problem.  

• Love 1

Here are a couple articles not from the NY Times.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2012/01/06/tara-parker-pope-do-you-have-to-be-superhuman-to-lose-weight

Of course there is always a risk of returning to old eating habits.  But when you're burning 25% fewer calories than a person your size who has never been overweight, the pounds tend to come back despite best efforts. Dieting is hard. It's a hard life to constantly eat less than your body needs. Now imagine doing that for the rest of your life.  Humans aren't wired like that. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, dahling said:

Here are a couple articles not from the NY Times.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2012/01/06/tara-parker-pope-do-you-have-to-be-superhuman-to-lose-weight

Of course there is always a risk of returning to old eating habits.  But when you're burning 25% fewer calories than a person your size who has never been overweight, the pounds tend to come back despite best efforts. Dieting is hard. It's a hard life to constantly eat less than your body needs. Now imagine doing that for the rest of your life.  Humans aren't wired like that. 

But you aren’t eating less than your body needs, you’re eating what it needs NOW vs what it needed before low calorie dieting.  Something I struggle to explain to a particular weight loss group moderator who insists that calorie restriction is unnecessary and that 1000 calories for maintenance is far too little!!  The Biggest Loser contestants are on severe calorie restriction but like SunnyBeBe I aways though that weight loss surgery (because of bypassing so much of the digestive system) allows more food to provide fewer calories to the body.

The first peaches are finally ripening here in the Hudson Valley, and I went to the orchard today.  I ended up with 12 pounds of peaches (plus 3,5 pounds of plums).  I knew that I have already picked plenty, but I just couldn't stop my hands from reaching for more fruit as I kept walking towards the road.  It made me sympathize with the compulsive-eater poundticipants.   My hands almost took on a life of their own!  And my eyes were certainly hungrier than my stomach, though it's also the child of the frozen North in me getting wildly excited every time I see fruit (any fruit) on the trees and my childhood summers on Grandma's farm where you were supposed to pick everything clean during harvest time,

Now I have to figure out how I am going to eat all this fruit... and I believe peach cobbler is on the menu for tonight!  Or maybe peach pie, but I just got a gorgeous set of casserole dishes for my birthday, so I think cobbler is a great first use for the new dishware!   And maybe plum compote.  

• Love 5

Now I have to figure out how I am going to eat all this fruit... and I believe peach cobbler is on the menu for tonight!  Or maybe peach pie, but I just got a gorgeous set of casserole dishes for my birthday, so I think cobbler is a great first use for the new dishware!   And maybe plum compote.  

Jam or refrigerator jelly if you don't can? Muffins and bread? You could freeze the muffins/loaves and enjoy them when the fruit is no longer in season?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Hellga said:

The first peaches are finally ripening here in the Hudson Valley, and I went to the orchard today.  I ended up with 12 pounds of peaches (plus 3,5 pounds of plums).  I knew that I have already picked plenty, but I just couldn't stop my hands from reaching for more fruit as I kept walking towards the road.  It made me sympathize with the compulsive-eater poundticipants.   My hands almost took on a life of their own!  And my eyes were certainly hungrier than my stomach, though it's also the child of the frozen North in me getting wildly excited every time I see fruit (any fruit) on the trees and my childhood summers on Grandma's farm where you were supposed to pick everything clean during harvest time,

Wow, that we was a great haul Hellga! I think Elizzikra has the right idea about making jams or jellies or, even fruit butters; love me some peach or plum butter. I think I see one of those vacuum sealers in your future, then you could have those delicious fruits all winter long.

• Love 1

I like to say I must have been a fruit moth in a past life because I love fresh fruit so much, so my plan is to eat them fresh (other than making some plum compote, which I loved as a kid).  I purposefully picked them at different degree of ripeness so over the course of the week it should not come to more than 5-6 being ready to eat at a time.  And I most certainly can eat 5-6 peaches at once - I have done it before.  More than once!   Basically, at least once every peach season for the past 10+ years.  It does make me feel like a witch out of Hansel and Gretel, though, as I stand there feeling them peaches. :)

I did bake a peach cobbler yesterday - and I wish I reduced the amount of sugar that went into it.  I don't like my desserts to be too sweet and usually I reduce the amount in any recipes I find by 25-30% (or more the second time around if the first time turns out still too sweet for me) but I was too distraught by having too many things happening in the kitchen at the same time and just went with the recipe.  Anyway, I took the leftover 2/3 of the cobbler to work today and my colleagues didn't seem to mind the sweetness.  I have to wonder, though, how people can eat it with ice cream, which adds even more sweetness. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I purposefully picked them at different degree of ripeness so over the course of the week it should not come to more than 5-6 being ready to eat at a time.

That is way more organized than I could ever hope to be...

• Love 2
On 7/25/2018 at 3:10 PM, jennblevins said:

Can this be pinned somewhere?

• Love 1
On 7/7/2018 at 12:37 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, sounds like a winner.  But, I'm not a dwarf and am average height, with just few more pounds to shed to achieve my normal weight. Kinda boring. lol 

Wait! Fall for some 20 year old Nigerian and you have 90 to wed...AND get pregnant. 

• Love 2

I still can't believe Erica expected her brother, and probably his family to beach the boat that paid the bills, and move to Houston with her for a year.     Isn't she the one that kept her apartment in CA, the entire time she was in Houston?   

Just remember, that Erica's followup also included Jimmy, the recently bereaved ex-fiance of some poor woman, and who moves in two seconds after they meet again after all of these years.    You'll never want to hear the name Jimmy again.   I hate when the poundticipants find some hook up, especially a long-lost one, because it usually is followed by "I can make my own plan", and rapidly expanding waist lines.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
On 9/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate when the poundticipants find some hook up, especially a long-lost one, because it usually is followed by "I can make my own plan", and rapidly expanding waist lines.   

There was one woman, who was bed-bound, and damn if she didn't break up with one, and become engaged to another one, during a commercial break.
But I was wondering, while our shows are on hiatus, what else have you found to watch.
I sometimes watch Highway thru Hell, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Thru_Hell, on the Weather Channel, and I just found Mind Your Business, on OWN, http://www.oprah.com/app/mind-your-business-with-mahisha.html .

• Love 3

I think that was the one who lived in a smaller town in Texas, and divorced the husband, and then had a new boyfriend who was actually her boyfriend years ago.     I think the interval between the husband (who she threw under the bus to Dr. Now),   and having the boyfriend was about 30 seconds.     I think she was also the one who quit Dr. Now, and then the producer went to her apartment, and she still wouldn't talk.   

I finally found out it was Tanisha.    She's the one that her mother died at 50 of obesity related disease, and the only picture of her mother was of her in a bed or on a sofa, and they had to blur out her chest area, because she wasn't wearing anything but a low hanging bed sheet.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I don't think that I will ever understand some people.  Why would a person who whines about they they want to lose weight, get healthy, eat right, etc., cook up a plate of fried chicken, gravy, fried potatoes and pan of biscuits? No special occasion.  Just regular meal. And, today at the grocery store, she also buys a large jar of olives.  Maybe, not a huge problem, but, when you have hypertension and despite taking daily pills (she claims she takes them) she ended up in the ER recently due to dangerously high blood pressure, it seems like an odd choice of snack.  Wouldn't a low sodium snack make more sense?  I just don't get it.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't think that I will ever understand some people.  Why would a person who whines about they they want to lose weight, get healthy, eat right, etc., cook up a plate of fried chicken, gravy, fried potatoes and pan of biscuits? No special occasion.  Just regular meal. And, today at the grocery store, she also buys a large jar of olives.  Maybe, not a huge problem, but, when you have hypertension and despite taking daily pills (she claims she takes them) she ended up in the ER recently due to dangerously high blood pressure, it seems like an odd choice of snack.  Wouldn't a low sodium snack make more sense?  I just don't get it.   

Addictions are a bitch.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Unfortunately I do get it.  We want to lose weight and be thin, BUT we also want to continue our current eating habits for whatever reason they serve.  As Dr. Now points out when he sends them to therapy they need to learn new ways to cope with daily life.  Food is a way to pass the time, in some cases make you feel better (until you stand on the scale or your clothes don’t fit).  Health crises are another matter entirely but some people make changes and others don’t want to and expect medicine to fix the issues.  One diabetic friend annoys me so much because she complains that she can’t keep her blood sugars level.  Well no, when you eat pecan pie every other day your sugars WILL spike.  She knows I’ve lost a lot of weight and my blood sugar is fine but the idea of giving up her sweets is just not to be considered.  How else do you celebrate:?!  I struggle a LOT to stay away from foods that are bad for me and I don’t always succeed.  I can recall a meal JUST like you mentioned above, for my lunch one day because I just felt like it!  I pretty much ate every last bite.  These days I try to find non-food rewards but it really is tough and sometimes you just don’t have the willpower to resist the “bad” foods.

• Love 9

I get it ThereButFor, I really do, but, what I don't understand is when they know the plan they want and that they have weakness, why even buy the flour to have in the house that would enable you to cook the chicken, gravy and biscuits? Why buy the olives? In the grocery store, it's easier to keep to the things you know are good for you. You don't have to bring them into the home. 

AND, on those treat days, then get what you want.  I support having a treat day or treat meal at least once a week so you can maintain a good outlook and sustain your eating plan.  I know that I will not go the rest of my life without apple pie, mashed potatoes, or garlic toast, but, it's only on special times that I have them. 

It seems that this person I'm referring to keeps boxes of cake mix, bags of hush puppy mix, packages of bacon, etc. in stock.  I've asked her to see a professional to discuss it, but, she refuses.  Her weight is not extremely high, though, she could use a few pounds.  It would help her hypertension, digestion problems, and mobility problems, too, but, I just don't think she is invested enough to stop the binging, even though she talks about it all the time. She complains daily about her weight is bothering her and that she has to do something about it. Then, she'll eat radishes, lettuce and cucumbers for a couple of days, then the binge.  Oh, did I mention that she likes to sabotage me and other family members?  It's pretty mean, imo.  She's known to be a very nice lady, but, I don't think people see this side of her.   I do understand it's a condition, so, I try to stay out of it.  I don't say much anymore, unless she starts pushing it on me, in which I respond, "Fried dishes are not really my friend. No thank you."  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, aliya said:

They have diet ginger beer in the stores in England.  I've not found it here though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I get it ThereButFor, I really do, but, what I don't understand is when they know the plan they want and that they have weakness, why even buy the flour to have in the house that would enable you to cook the chicken, gravy and biscuits? Why buy the olives? In the grocery store, it's easier to keep to the things you know are good for you. You don't have to bring them into the home. 

I agree completely!  If it’s not in the house then it takes extra effort to sabotage yourself.  The why of that I do NOT understand at all.

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, did I mention that she likes to sabotage me and other family members?  It's pretty mean, imo.  She's known to be a very nice lady, but, I don't think people see this side of her.   I do understand it's a condition, so, I try to stay out of it.  I don't say much anymore, unless she starts pushing it on me, in which I respond, "Fried dishes are not really my friend. No thank you."  

Your restraint impresses me.  I’ve been known to ask food pushers why they want to murder me with their poisonous food.

• Love 3

I suspect that for some people they equate food with love and happiness.  So, the more the decadent food, the more they feel they are loved and happy. And, providing that decadent food represents love and happiness to others.  They just can't accept that others want that decadent food in planned servings on their own schedule, not continually pushed on them.  

She also tends to push extra servings at family gatherings. Like adults don't have the sense to decide if they want a second helping and get it themselves.  We need someone to tell us to eat more.  It's rather ridiculous to see someone who is overweight, encouraging other people who are overweight to eat more food.  So bizarre. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

The people who eat a bunch, and don't gain might also be bulimic, and are vomiting up, or using laxatives to keep their weight down.    

The worst part of watching this show for me is that I get to know about the people.   After that every time I see an update, I wonder if it will be that the person has gone back to binge eating, and are gaining a lot back, or that they've died.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 9/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, ThereButFor said:

Unfortunately I do get it.  We want to lose weight and be thin, BUT we also want to continue our current eating habits for whatever reason they serve.  As Dr. Now points out when he sends them to therapy they need to learn new ways to cope with daily life.  Food is a way to pass the time, in some cases make you feel better (until you stand on the scale or your clothes don’t fit).  Health crises are another matter entirely but some people make changes and others don’t want to and expect medicine to fix the issues.  One diabetic friend annoys me so much because she complains that she can’t keep her blood sugars level.  Well no, when you eat pecan pie every other day your sugars WILL spike.  She knows I’ve lost a lot of weight and my blood sugar is fine but the idea of giving up her sweets is just not to be considered.  How else do you celebrate:?!  I struggle a LOT to stay away from foods that are bad for me and I don’t always succeed.  I can recall a meal JUST like you mentioned above, for my lunch one day because I just felt like it!  I pretty much ate every last bite.  These days I try to find non-food rewards but it really is tough and sometimes you just don’t have the willpower to resist the “bad” foods.

I agree it’s a big struggle that many can’t overcome. I understand it too.

• Love 2

OMGoodness, I don't know how I got here, but I'm reading the posts from the bottom up and thinking you guys are talking about Whitney. I actually checked my cable guide because I thought the show had started back up and I missed it.  Whew!

"One diabetic friend annoys me so much because she complains that she can’t keep her blood sugars level.  Well no, when you eat pecan pie every other day..."

Pecan pie!  You might as well have an insulin vial taped to your arm. I love pecan pie. Aliya jr loves it, too. As a diabetic, I haven't had pecan pie in maybe 20 years, though I have had the occasional piece (like maybe 3 a year during the holidays) of other pies. Aliya jr restricts his pecan pie to the holidays, not because he's diabetic but because that particular pie is just full of corn syrup and he doesn't want to blow up like the Hindenburg. You have to make choices. Some of them, like Wasa crackers, are not fun. 

Edited by aliya
  • Love 5