Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

Joe Wexler peeved me off with his so he and his fiancee could have their “dream wedding.” No, you have the wedding you can afford, just like financially well off people have the wedding they can afford. You don’t deserve a fancy wedding just because you can’t afford it. Its like that scene in Monster with Charlize Theron, she interviews for a nice job where a degree is required, and the guy calls her out on it - people who put in the time to get the education deserve that job, not just some rando off the street who decided they want a high paying job. Er...hope I made sense, lol. Its just I remember watching a couple of friends scrimp and save and pinch every penny so they could have a small but nice wedding and here these people are like, we can’t afford a fancy wedding so other people should pay for it.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Trees said:

I agree that he needs skin removal surgery. But why the mindset that random people should give him money so he can accomplish it?

I wonder how many other 600-pounders have made up GoFundMes?  Remember "Ow Ma Laaaygs"' multiple tries. and them filming it on the show?  

Or maybe he just needs help?  I think all the bogus Go Fund Me's have really killed the spirit that it started with for sure.

I had a friend who lost about 100 pounds with diet and exercise.  She waited a year to see what skin would "go back".  The poor thing had sores, bleeding, you name it from the rubbing skin - I mean it was so bad. Insurance wouldn't pay for any of it.

She worked a full time job and paid her way in life, but the surgery was going to be upwards of 30,000.  Most average people can't just pull their-self up by the bootstraps and drop 30,000.  She was in massive pain because of it.  I didn't know people had those kinds of issues, but it was terrible.

The doctor started sending pictures to the insurance company and just wouldn't let up.  They finally agreed to pay for part of it, and her friends and family helped by pitching in some money too, and she paid for the rest.

She most certainly didn't expect anyone to pay for her surgery or feel entitled to it, but was damn grateful for the help.  I guess it was an old school go fund me - we all just talked to each other about how we could help her.

• Love 10

I agree that he needs skin removal surgery. But why the mindset that random people should give him money so he can accomplish it?

Maybe not a mindset that people "should" give him money but a mindset that there's no way he can ever save enough money to pay for it so he is asking for help? I don't know the guy and didn't visit the site so I don't know, but I'm guessing it's expensive. Even if insurance does cover it, the copays alone could be tens of thousands of dollars. I had surgery (not skin removal but still a necessary procedure) a year ago. I have excellent insurance. My out-of-pocket costs were still about $17,000. 

Is bariatric surgery covered by insurance? For those on the lowest end of the economic spectrum, is it covered by Medicaid? 

I would think it would have to be or most of the people we see getting it wouldn't be able to afford it. 

• Love 2

Well, I had a little epiphany this morning!

I’ve always been baffled by people who have an addiction. Whether it’s food, drugs, gambling, overspending or anything else, it just seems like they never reach the “I’VE GOT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS NOW!” point.  They know that they should make a change, but they just don’t care enough to do it. They just keep drifting along until they are candidates for some reality show. ?

But this morning, I mentioned to a friend that it has been too long since I’ve been in a serious romantic relationship. Just idle chit-chat over coffee. She asked me “why has it been so long?” And it suddenly hit me. I know I SHOULD have a relationship but I don’t really WANT one at this point in my life.  Even without a partner, I like my life the way it is.  And it’s the same for these addicts. They know they SHOULD change, but deep down they really like their life the way it is. 

It’s tough to reconcile what we think we should do versus what we subconsciously want.  

• Love 7

I know I SHOULD have a relationship but I don’t really WANT one at this point in my life.  Even without a partner, I like my life the way it is. 

You didn't ask for my advice but if you're happy and don't want a relationship, there's no reason you should want one. Just... be happy!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Is bariatric surgery covered by insurance? For those on the lowest end of the economic spectrum, is it covered by Medicaid? 

It can be.  My brother is a hypochondriac who won't put any effort into improving himself if he can find a doctor to give him pills or operate on him.  He has been bellyaching for a couple of years that no doctors will tell Medicare that he needs bariatric surgery.  Every doctor he sees tells him that a lot of his medical issues would improve if he lost weight and got more exercise.  Both of these options would cost him nothing.

He lives on Social Security, and has extremely good insurance coverage at no cost to him.  It would never cross his mind to pay for anything medical out of his own pocket, even if he had the money.

4 hours ago, kj4ever said:

Or maybe he just needs help?  I think all the bogus Go Fund Me's have really killed the spirit that it started with for sure.

I had a friend who lost about 100 pounds with diet and exercise.  She waited a year to see what skin would "go back".  The poor thing had sores, bleeding, you name it from the rubbing skin - I mean it was so bad. Insurance wouldn't pay for any of it.

She worked a full time job and paid her way in life, but the surgery was going to be upwards of 30,000.  Most average people can't just pull their-self up by the bootstraps and drop 30,000.  She was in massive pain because of it.  I didn't know people had those kinds of issues, but it was terrible.

The doctor started sending pictures to the insurance company and just wouldn't let up.  They finally agreed to pay for part of it, and her friends and family helped by pitching in some money too, and she paid for the rest.

She most certainly didn't expect anyone to pay for her surgery or feel entitled to it, but was damn grateful for the help.  I guess it was an old school go fund me - we all just talked to each other about how we could help her.

Your friend had serious medical issues with the extra skin so I can see why she was deserving of any help she got.  This guy talks about “someday” joining the workforce so he’s not contributing himself, he also doesn’t mention any medical issues like your friend’s that the extra skin is causing.  He just makes some general comment about it being better for his knees but no specific reason it’s necessary.

I’ve heard often that they like you to wait a year maintaining your new weight to see what extra skin you still have in the end.  In the absence of serious health reasons like you mentioned I think that is the better course of action.

This weekend I hurt my back which has jacked up my legs so I am showering with a shower seat and cooking dinner from a chair. My worst nightmare has come true. :O

• Love 13

One thing to keep in mind regarding food addiction: with alcohol and other drugs, and with gambling, you can completely abstain from the thing you're addicted to. You don't need alcohol, cocaine, heroin, or a poker game to live. But you *must* eat.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I know I SHOULD have a relationship but I don’t really WANT one at this point in my life.  Even without a partner, I like my life the way it is. 

You didn't ask for my advice but if you're happy and don't want a relationship, there's no reason you should want one. Just... be happy!

That’s good advice for anyone! Actually, that was part of my epiphany this morning. I realized that I didn’t really want or need a relationship. I’m happy just the way things are now! 

• Love 5
On 5/5/2018 at 12:11 PM, Mothra said:

I'm going to try the Helmuth treatment first. 

If Phil Helmuth were on My 600-Lb Life, he'd be Steven Ass.

On 5/7/2018 at 4:30 PM, Colleenna said:

But you *must* eat.

"No, you don't need to eat something.  You've already eaten 800 pound of food in you."  -- Dr. Now

• Love 5
On 5/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, JJ1 said:

I’ve always been baffled by people who have an addiction. Whether it’s food, drugs, gambling, overspending or anything else, it just seems like they never reach the “I’VE GOT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS NOW!” point.  They know that they should make a change, but they just don’t care enough to do it. They just keep drifting along until they are candidates for some reality show. ?

But this morning, I mentioned to a friend that it has been too long since I’ve been in a serious romantic relationship. Just idle chit-chat over coffee. She asked me “why has it been so long?” And it suddenly hit me. I know I SHOULD have a relationship but I don’t really WANT one at this point in my life.  Even without a partner, I like my life the way it is.  And it’s the same for these addicts. They know they SHOULD change, but deep down they really like their life the way it is. 

It’s tough to reconcile what we think we should do versus what we subconsciously want.  

I learned more about this when I found out about what's called "addict brain".  It justifies your bad choices to you.  When I learned about this, I realized how it works.  I am currently in addiction mode - turned to food when a family crisis happened.  Though my clothes are too tight and I've gained 15 pounds, my addict brain will tell me that it's ok to stop for a muffin on the way to work.  Then I do, even though I truly want to be comfortable in my clothes from last summer. 

I will need to go about 2 full weeks with absolutely no sweets at all before the addict brain stops urging me to go get sweets.  

I learned that certain ethnicities are more prone to addictions than others.  Yep, I have those.  Both sides of my parents' families are loaded with alcoholics. I've always made a conscious choice to avoid booze for that reason, but here I am, a sugar addict.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Trees said:

I learned more about this when I found out about what's called "addict brain".  It justifies your bad choices to you.  When I learned about this, I realized how it works.  I am currently in addiction mode - turned to food when a family crisis happened.  Though my clothes are too tight and I've gained 15 pounds, my addict brain will tell me that it's ok to stop for a muffin on the way to work.  Then I do, even though I truly want to be comfortable in my clothes from last summer. 

My sister-in-law, with whom I'm close, is an alcoholic and has gotten much worse in the past year.  Last week, she spent Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday passed out in bed.  She routinely pees the bed now.  I don't know what to do.  I've told her that I can't stand watching her commit suicide--because one of these times she's not going to wake up--and that I wish she'd just go ahead and kill herself right now, rather than make us all watch this drawn-out horror.  She is always regretful, of course, and isn't happy about the dead-drunk part of her addiction, but she refuses to get help because she genuinely likes to drink.  She likes the way the first few drinks make her feel, but by the time she reaches her "pleasure point," it's too late to stop;.

I have a minor food addiction, in that once I start to eat a forbidden food I can't stop until I eat it all (that's why I can't have certain foods in the house; I'm incapable of having one serving at a time; it's all or nothing), but I'm able to control it by not subjecting myself to that first, luscious bite.  When I'm feeling in control, I'm not even tempted.  My s-i-l goes through weeks at a time when she isn't tempted to that first drink, either, but I don't know how I can help her sustain that control.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I do think addiction is addiction, and if we could successfully intervene in one sort of addiction it might help us understand how to deal with other addictions as well.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Mothra said:

My sister-in-law, with whom I'm close, is an alcoholic and has gotten much worse in the past year.  Last week, she spent Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday passed out in bed.  She routinely pees the bed now.  I don't know what to do.  I've told her that I can't stand watching her commit suicide--because one of these times she's not going to wake up--and that I wish she'd just go ahead and kill herself right now, rather than make us all watch this drawn-out horror.  She is always regretful, of course, and isn't happy about the dead-drunk part of her addiction, but she refuses to get help because she genuinely likes to drink.  She likes the way the first few drinks make her feel, but by the time she reaches her "pleasure point," it's too late to stop;.

I have a minor food addiction, in that once I start to eat a forbidden food I can't stop until I eat it all (that's why I can't have certain foods in the house; I'm incapable of having one serving at a time; it's all or nothing), but I'm able to control it by not subjecting myself to that first, luscious bite.  When I'm feeling in control, I'm not even tempted.  My s-i-l goes through weeks at a time when she isn't tempted to that first drink, either, but I don't know how I can help her sustain that control.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I do think addiction is addiction, and if we could successfully intervene in one sort of addiction it might help us understand how to deal with other addictions as well.

My mother was an alcoholic and I watched her die from it so I do understand how you feel. Sadly ,  is nothing we can do. There is hope, my mother's last years were sober. Have you tried Alonon? It was not for me but it helps a lot of people.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

My mother was an alcoholic and I watched her die from it so I do understand how you feel. Sadly ,  is nothing we can do. There is hope, my mother's last years were sober. Have you tried Alonon? It was not for me but it helps a lot of people.

I can't imagine how many times worse this would be if it were my mother involved.  I'm so happy for you and your mother and her final sobriety.  I have thought about Al-Anon and have been too selfish of my time to go to a meeting and listen to other people.  But you're right; I will find a meeting and go.  It's the only thing I can think of, too.

• Love 6
On 5/6/2018 at 11:24 PM, Trees said:

I wonder how many other 600-pounders have made up GoFundMes?  Remember "Ow Ma Laaaygs"' multiple tries. and them filming it on the show?  

Hi Trees. Just got back in here on a Wednesday night right before our One Ton Family Part 2 Live Chat and wow what a great, lively discussion here about GoFundMe!

As to your points, I don't see this man as saying random people should give him money. When I see the word "should" used, at least in this instance, it implies that he is in some way demanding money. His request came across to me as polite and straightforward.

Also, from what I have seen here from some of the comments, there seems to be a great deal of offense at just the idea/existence of GoFundMe and/or anyone using it to raise money for whatever. I can totally respect that point of view.

Personally, I can say that neither of those things offend me. Here's how I see it. All requests for monetary donations , whether by national or local charities, a GoFundMe site, or a man or woman on the street asking for spare change, all are requests from "random" people. In any one of those instances it's up to each person to decide if the cause is worth them parting with their money.

Definitely remember James K and Lisa's multiple GoFundMe requests and I am so glad they made them if only to remind us all how just plain stupid they are. Did they forget that millions of people watched them blow his chance at free weight loss and skin removal surgeries, free expert advice on nutrition, and inhaled money from his father after that dear man took out a second mortgage on his home to help him? I just loved how many people did not donate and blasted them for asking for more money for James to squander.

Uh oh, it's Live Chat time! See you there.

• Love 2

Just want to mention that at 3&4AM tomorrow/Thurs/5-10, tomorrow morning, TLC is showing repeats of one of its best shows, Two in a Million,
where the connect two people who share the same very rare disease/condition, and have never met anyone else with it.
The people, often children, and their families, are just so grateful to have someone who understands what they go through.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, auntjess said:

Just want to mention that at 3&4AM tomorrow/Thurs/5-10, tomorrow morning, TLC is showing repeats of one of its best shows, Two in a Million,
where the connect two people who share the same very rare disease/condition, and have never met anyone else with it.
The people, often children, and their families, are just so grateful to have someone who understands what they go through.

Oh I watched that!  I'll have to look if there are more episodes!

@DC Gal in VA we'll have to agree to disagree on the GoFundMe thing.  :) I see a mindset of "I want mine" and entitlement when I see a GoFundMe, whether it's politely-written or not.  I come from an "if you want something, work for it" mindset. 

But that's what makes a discussion board interesting... different points of view. 

• Love 2
On 5/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, Mothra said:

@Mothra, I feel for you.  This is so sad.

Understand that her telling you that "she refuses to get help because she genuinely likes to drink" is her "addict brain" talking.  She is an alcoholic and nothing you can do will help her unless and until she feels the pain and is ready to stop.

Does she live with you?  You may need to brainstorm with the people in her life who are enabling her.  Think of this show and the people who bring food to the bed-ridden.  Penny and her husband.  Pauline and her son.  Every episode has one or more enablers.

This show, 600-pound life, is about addiction as much as Intervention is.  Only they don't address the addiction part of it anywhere nearly enough.  I really think that's a shame.  We could all learn so much more about addiction.  These patients could get more help.  In earlier episodes, Dr Now used "The A word".  He never says it anymore.

If they stop helping the addict stay in his/her disease, that's a way for change to happen.

It's very hard. Often the enablers are "addicted to enabling", which gives you co-dependency.  They need the alcoholic in their lives as much as the alcoholic needs booze.

My neighbor across the street killed himself with booze at only age 36.  He almost never left the house.  Over a few years, we'd see various women start visiting him, staying for longer times, eventually spending the night, then moving in (SOME WITH KIDS!).  Very soon, we'd see the women moving out.  Then it would start all over again.  This guy's mom also would visit him very regularly - more so when he was between women.

After he died, the latest woman who had moved out came back sat on his front porch and sobbed.  I wondered how many of her tears were regret for enabling him to kill himself.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Trees said:

There are, one with a some boys whose bodies can't regulate temperature, and they have to stay out of heat, and one that had 2 adults, whose skin gets scaly, and they have to scour the skin, and I think a couple more.
Sometimes, they don't list them as Two in a Million, but they're USUALLY either on TLC or Discovery Life, or one of the Discovery channels.
(U-Verse is 250 and 466.)

They may even show up as a Body Bizarre.

4 hours ago, Trees said:

Understand that her telling you that "she refuses to get help because she genuinely likes to drink" is her "addict brain" talking.  She is an alcoholic and nothing you can do will help her unless and until she feels the pain and is ready to stop.

Does she live with you?  You may need to brainstorm with the people in her life who are enabling her.  Think of this show and the people who bring food to the bed-ridden.  Penny and her husband.  Pauline and her son.  Every episode has one or more enablers.

She doesn't live with us, but she is the bookkeeper for my husband's business and is here one day a week.  I have figured out that she was coming into the house from the attached office--she comes back and forth for mail and to visit with me--when I either wasn't home or was upstairs and filling her coffee mug with vodka.  I stopped serving wine, beer or liquor at family gatherings a while back, but now rather than hide all the alcohol in the house, or lock it up, I make sure I'm home when she's here.  My husband, her brother, is unaware of when she slips into the house.  She knows I am only too aware of her alcoholism, but I don't know that she realizes I'm onto her.

Unfortunately for her addiction, she has her own car and plenty of money, so she is her own enabler when it comes to getting the stuff.

I found an Al-Anon meeting not far from here on Tuesday nights, and I'm going to give it a try.  Short of a miracle, I'm very, very grateful to the helpful and sympathetic response I've received here.

• Love 3

I see a mindset of "I want mine" and entitlement when I see a GoFundMe, whether it's politely-written or not.  I come from an "if you want something, work for it" mindset.

What if it's not want, as much as it is need and the option to "work for it" isn't possible. For example - a GoFundMe for young children whose parent has died or a person with a cancer diagnosis who needs money for medical expenses but is too sick to work?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Trees said:

@DC Gal in VA we'll have to agree to disagree on the GoFundMe thing.  :) I see a mindset of "I want mine" and entitlement when I see a GoFundMe, whether it's politely-written or not.  I come from an "if you want something, work for it" mindset. 

But that's what makes a discussion board interesting... different points of view. 

No worries Trees, that is totally cool with me. I agree about our discussions here; always interesting, insightful and, often quite hilarious. Lately when I watch for what passes for discussions between people with different points of view on cable news, I get so disgusted with the yelling, condescension and, rudeness that I wish they would come over here and check us out to see how it should be done.

BTW, missed you on the Live Chat last night. As usual, the comments were spot on.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, JJ1 said:

I have an addiction (Internet addiction) that has more or less derailed my life, and I would say it's not so much that I like my life the way it is. My addiction developed during a time in my teenage years where I was being abused and as a result of that, was socially isolated for long periods of time, which led me to have suicidal depression and extreme anxiety. The internet was my only escape and eventually the only way for me to keep in touch with friends when I was living in a different area from them. Basically the internet was there for me even during the times when nobody else could be there for me IRL. So it just became my habit that when I was upset or anxious or felt unworthy of participating in society, that's where I would go to hide from the world.

Now unfortunately the default pattern is there and it's really not that easy to break. I see the things I should be doing and at the end of the day I feel guilty about it, but in the here and now of being on the internet, it's like "just five more minutes, I can always start working after that" until suddenly it's past midnight. Sometimes I end up wasting hours on there without even consciously realizing it. Because it's such a default pattern in my life. (It doesn't help that I actually need to be on the internet to study, so I can't just shut it off or something.)

People don't understand it isn't just as simple as "just stop." If it was that simple it would have happened already. Some people like to say things like "you're making excuses" or "you're lazy and don't want to work." I have a STEM degree from one of the top colleges in the US and I also went to one of the top public high schools in the US. You don't accomplish that by being a lazy person. I feel like being a victim of abuse also causes people to feel helpless and out of control because for so many years they were told that they were incapable of making good life decisions without their abuser telling them what to do. Personally I often feel the need to hide from the world because I have very low self-esteem and don't feel worthy of being around other people, due to the abuse I experienced, and the internet is a great way to do that. (I have been diagnosed with PTSD and OCD, btw.)

When I do start getting my life together not only do I find it impossible to concentrate and retain knowledge, but I also feel worthless and like a failure because even when I try, I find it nearly impossible to succeed. I start having panic attacks, or getting really upset and angry, whenever things don't work out. And escaping back into the internet just happens because it's the only way to be in a "normal" mood. That's really the reason why people hold onto their addictions. Because it allows them to forget about and avoid everything else that would otherwise upset them. Because the alternative often is being a person who wants to kill themselves, or who flies off the handle for every little thing, or who is so crippled by constant anxiety that they are living a nightmare.

It could have been worse though. If I had had a different social life I probably would have gotten into alcohol or drugs (like my brother did for 15 years, he has a few months of sobriety now) but as I said, I was socially isolated for long periods of time and the friends I did have were not into that kind of stuff.

So anyway that's just my experience with it. Now if you'll excuse me I should probably stop wasting time on the internet :)

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 8

I really hope you do get things worked out for yourself, and hope for the best for you.  
Me, I'm old and feel that I don't have to do too much that I don't want to, anymore.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I really hope you do get things worked out for yourself, and hope for the best for you.  
Me, I'm old and feel that I don't have to do too much that I don't want to, anymore.

Thanks! I am working on it. A big problem is there aren't really any rehabs for internet addiction. I tried looking for some (on the internet of course LOL) and I could only find a couple not anywhere near where I live and it wouldn't be feasible for me to go there. There aren't even really any 12-step programs or other types of support groups for it. There's a lot of stuff for gaming addiction but that isn't what I have and in fact I don't play video games at all. I am addicted to just general wasting time on the internet (really wasting time in general but the internet is the easiest way to do that). I do have a therapist but there hasn't been much progress in four months and like all the other therapists I've seen, I don't feel like I'm learning anything new that I haven't read online already. It doesn't help that a major part of the abuse and trauma I experienced was from the psychiatric system as a teenager (the rest was from my mom) so I have very little trust in anyone in the mental health field.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 2
On 5/7/2018 at 11:17 AM, Colleenna said:

I can't speak for Medicaid, but bariatric surgery being covered  and how much of it being covered, by insurance depends on the plan that the employer selects.  Usually, there are conditions that need to be met like being under a doctor's care for a certain amount of time, having a BMI over a certain amount, having the surgery done at a specific facility and having the surgery pre-approved by the Medical Review area. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 3:52 PM, Elizzikra said:

What if it's not want, as much as it is need and the option to "work for it" isn't possible. For example - a GoFundMe for young children whose parent has died or a person with a cancer diagnosis who needs money for medical expenses but is too sick to work?

DH works for an airline.  A few years ago one of his fellow pilots was diagnosed with a rare cancer.  After traditional treatments the only option was experimental.  They had burned through savings etc.  Over $150,000 was raised on GoFundMe to pay for the treatment which was well over $100K.

I don’t begrudge GoFundMe requests like this or the skin removal. I had a tummy tuck a couple years ago (pregnancy related) and it was just under $10K which I paid out of pocket.  It made a huge improvement in how I felt about myself and I wasn’t having any of the medical issues that would come from loose skin on people who have lost hundreds of pounds.  I just had a flabby belly.  I can imagine how much of a benefit skin removal would be after weight loss like this both physically and mentally.

Nobody has to contribute if they don’t want to.

My cousins daughter had one up for a trip to go do some conservation type work.  It sounded like a vacation to me.  I did not donate. ?‍♀️ 

Edited by SouthernCross
  • Love 3

Can someone tell me the name of the patient (lady) who had lymphedema surgery first, because there was this HUGE mass between her legs?  It was on last night as a repeat.  I missed her name.  What part of her body was it? Belly, groin, thigh? It was bigger than a beach volley ball, but, I'm not sure where it came from. 

46 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone tell me the name of the patient (lady) who had lymphedema surgery first, because there was this HUGE mass between her legs? 

Not sure.  Tracy was the one who only had skin removal, because that ended up being all she needed, but I don't think she was on recentlly.
I've got Olivia and someone on my DVR, but I don't think he did much skin removal on the early season patients.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone tell me the name of the patient (lady) who had lymphedema surgery first, because there was this HUGE mass between her legs?  It was on last night as a repeat.  I missed her name.  What part of her body was it? Belly, groin, thigh? It was bigger than a beach volley ball, but, I'm not sure where it came from. 

It may have been Christina.  She was put in the hospital for a month and lost nothing because her entire family spent all day hanging around the hospital room feeding her garbage.  Dr Now removed the lymphedema to encourage her to move because with her family of enablers she was never going to lose any weight.

A side note.....her family was just ridiculous with the enabling and not one of them seemed to have a job or do anything productive all day.  I have no idea how they all got by financially but it was a seriously weird dynamic.  She did go on to be one of the most successful patients however.

• Love 1

I saw it too - it was Milla. The lymphedema was on her leg. I really liked her. She had a bunch of kids and they stopped bringing her junk food. She ate salads and followed Dr. Now's instructions. She was working really hard to get better.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks all. It was Milla.  OMG. How was that big mass attached to her leg? It looked like it grew out of her groin.  It just blew me away.  Here's a look at it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3484290/It-s-matter-life-death-700lb-woman-begs-five-children-bring-junk-food-day-reveals-enormous-bulk-left-totally-bedridden.html

She was also one who was so used to not walking that she wouldn't really try to stand up.   She would pretend to try by raising her shoulders, but, her body remained still.....like the arm movement would fake them out. lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

She was also one who was so used to not walking that she wouldn't really try to stand up.   She would pretend to try by raising her shoulders, but, her body remained still.....like the arm movement would fake them out. lol 

I don't think it's that she wasn't really trying. I think it was a combination of fear and genuine weakness in her legs. She can't have had that thing on her leg for however many years it was there and not have some damage to her leg, not to mention the muscle atrophy she would have from being bedridden for several years.

(edited)

Two episodes of My Weight Is Killing Me, the Garth doctors' show, on 

tomorrow, Sunday evening, 5/13/18, at 5 & 6PM, ET, on Discovery Life channel (466 on U-verse.)

There's a topic in this forum, for the show.

Edited by auntjess

Actual comment from my nephew (who has had WLS and is sticking with the program) as we were at dinner the other evening.

My mom sees how much weight I've lost and talks about weight loss surgery for herself.  (Note:  She has always been extremely overweight.)  She asked me how much of my stomach they took out, and I told her about 80-90%.  Her only response was, "That means you can't hardly eat anything.  Can't they just take out about half so you could eat more and still lose weight?"

For some of these folks, it's about the eating.  Sometimes, it's the only pleasure they have, and they don't want - or know how - to substitute something else.

• Love 3
On 5/10/2018 at 12:10 PM, Trees said:

Understand that her telling you that "she refuses to get help because she genuinely likes to drink" is her "addict brain" talking. 

This reminds me of Cynthia.  I just watched her repeat.
She'd been resisting therapy, and finally went, because Dr. Now insisted, but she told the therapist (someone in Oklahoma) that she didn't know why she needed to be there, because she was NOT an emotional eater, didn't run to food if stressed, and ate herself to however heavy she was, because she just liked food.

I watched the UK show, Shut-ins, on Netflix (someone here mentioned it. Still needing my fix, I found a show from Australia, The Big Ward. OM Goodness. First, I was surprised to learn that Australians are now bigger than Americans and Mexicans. Second, I feel so bad for the native peoples (the woman I saw looked Maori, not Aborigine) who are struggling with their weight, and, I'd say, some food ignorance. This poor woman was trying to lose weight to get approved and didn't, even tho, in her mind, she was trying - by eating 2 containers of ramen, toast, sandwiches.

Oh my gosh. The dietitian had to tell her about carbohydrates. Like our obesees here, they seem to think they can just eat less of what they already eat and lose weight. It doesn't work for them, either. 

Oh no - 3rd episode, the poor woman has a big sub bun, KFC (she's putting the chicken on the bread), with gravy over all, and an order of fries. I don't think she's gonna make the weight loss goal. I can't even type as fast as this woman is eating - she just said she'll eat 2 of these sandwiches. And her father died of obesity at 49. Man. 

This reminds me of another show I saw where the guy went to Tonga (where people are also big) and went with a woman to the store. She got mutton flaps, never heard of it, but he told her the New Zealanders don't eat it. They send it to these native peoples and they eat it (and get fat, and get sick). The poor woman was crying in the store. She couldn't believe people would send them what they considered bad food. Jeez Louise. 

• Love 1

I am trying to remember the name of the UK show that featured super morbidly obese people which would always demonstrate to the subject exactly how many calories they eat in a day. The show representatives would lay out on a dining room table all the food these people eat daily and tell them exactly how many calories they were consuming; none of this Dr. Now informing his patients that they are probably eating 10,000 calories a day stuff. I think that would be a great thing for TLC to do. Plus, since many of these people appear to be struggling financially, how much money is being spent on a daily/weekly basis on their "eating habit." I think that visual in addition to the calorie count and the big chunk of their household income they are inhaling would definitely be of assistance to some of his patients. Of course, those who are deeply in denial would just say that he's exaggerating, doesn't know what he's talking about or, flat out lying.

Since this would take some extra work and depart from the TLC lazy, formulaic approach, it will probably never happen.

• Love 2
(edited)

Edited to add: I am always flabbergasted at how these people can afford to eat what must be hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of food every month and still keep a roof over their heads. Conservatively, they must be spending twenty to thirty dollars a day on fast food, delivery and, junk food every day. Whether they or others in their households are working or  receiving disability, or one works and the subject receives disability, I just don't get it.

Weird, when I hit the Save button, it saved my edit as a separate post. Oh well.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Weirdness.
  • Love 1

Pounders, What do we do? We avoid discussing how money is being snatched from the public's wallet for the participants unless it’s specifically revealed on the show. Anything else is pure speculation not to mention also a slippery slope toward talking politics. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I am trying to remember the name of the UK show that featured super morbidly obese people which would always demonstrate to the subject exactly how many calories they eat in a day. The show representatives would lay out on a dining room table all the food these people eat daily and tell them exactly how many calories they were consuming;

I think that was You Are What You Eat with Gillian McKeith. (A quick Google search and brought up this part one of three of an episode). I remember the table of food they ate but also (and part 2 shows it) was the table of foods that would be on their plan. It was almost always a contrast of beige brown foods vs the vibrant colors of fruits and veggies. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

I think that was You Are What You Eat with Gillian McKeith. (A quick Google search and brought up this part one of three of an episode). I remember the table of food they ate but also (and part 2 shows it) was the table of foods that would be on their plan. It was almost always a contrast of beige brown foods vs the vibrant colors of fruits and veggies. 

I *loved* that show. I would always start drooling over that table full of beautiful fruits and veg. I have the same reaction now to the produce section in Guy's Grocery Games. Ditto the produce section of Whole Foods as shown on Top Chef.