Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Blood Bath

• Start Topic

Ethel becomes suspicious of Elsa after disappearances occur around camp.

More disappearances?  So more people than just Ma Petit are going?

The FX episode description is worded differently:

Recent disappearances around camp raise Ethel's suspicion of Elsa. Gloria makes a last ditch effort to contain Dandy's bloodlust.

The promo at the above link is high def. Or here's a lo-res embed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEuxGi60f50

• Love 1

An actual blood bath closes this ep! 

Aw, didn't think Ethel was going to leave us already. really thought she'd carry out her threat of killing Elsa. Well she almost did if it was not for a knife to the eye and going for the hurt instead of the kill(at first) Or she just had amazingly crappy aim.    RIP Ethel.  But that was a great final scene with Lang and Bates. I smell Emmy reel. Oh wait, that could just be my brownies that are probably burning.

Love the tar and feathering of Penny's dad. Then damn it, Maggie's little speech made the festivities come to a crashing halt. Shut up Maggie!

Speaking of Maggie, she was also in on the cover up of Ethel's "suicide" right? Cause that was some bad fake acting when she was telling Jimmy about Ethel.

Oh crap and our second death...Gloria! I thought it was a matter of time because Dandy is a ticking bomb but I wasn't thinking it would be in this ep.  Although maybe should have expected it since the title is Blood Bath.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Pro: Jessica Lange wailing over Kathy Bates's body so theatrically was LOL-worthy. I think JL was great in this episode overall.

Lee Tergesen: Hot on Oz, and remains so. I'm overlooking the evil aspect of course.

Finn Wittrock butt

Con: Emma Roberts is just...not at the level of the others. Painfully so.

I'm going to get in trouble, but...Angela Bassett. She overdoes it (though in my opinion she always does and is overrated).

I was confused, when Emma Roberts's character (I can't even remember her name) came in while they were tarring and feathering Lee Tergesen, I was wondering, isn't she too late? I thought tarring and feathering someone by itself would be enough to kill them.

I like that it looks like things are picking up (i.e. people are being killed left and right). Keep it up!

Edited by yourstruly
  • Love 5

Have to say that was a weirdly beautiful scene between Dandy and Gloria. I feel like it's going to be horrible with out the campy perfection of Francis Conroy. Loved the scene earlier in the episode, with him being all sinister in his plaid suit.

Now I'm wondering is the shrink was some famous guest star that will be revealed later? Why no focus on his face?

I thought that was a horrible demise for Ethel, especially since I was riveted by the scene up to the point when Ethel got stabbed in the eye. Dammit! Wanted her to end Elsa like she promised.

Maggie,  seriously GTFO.  Girl saves Ma Petite once and she thinks she can moralize about how everyone should act. No. Also, Jimmy and Maggie=I am bored on Dandy levels. I feel like Jimmy literally has more romantic chemistry with any other character on this show. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 5

There was a scene near the end where Jimmy's fake hands really looked fake.  His arms were tanned and the hands were two shades lighter. 

I guess hot tar is like hot grease, so I would think Penny's dad will be badly scarred when he heals up.  He'll know what it feels like to have a ruined face and body.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1

I know English isn't your first language, Elsa, but still...how the hell does the name "Ima Wiggles" make sense to you? You clearly know that the famous fat lady went by "Ima Waddler," and not "Ima Waddles."

I should probably be angrier about other things, like losing the most interesting characters when such incredibly boring ones are allowed to live, but this really irritated me for some reason.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3

Gabby is the worst actress ever. She makes Emma Roberts look good.

Elsa cracked me up with her melodrama. Sad to lose the two mamas, because they were the most interesting and best acting out of the whole cast this time.

I'm wondering who Dandy's therapist is and if he's going to be

somehow connected to Asylum.

I agree with the poster who said Angela Bassett is overrated. She plays the same Tina Turner sassy, yet hurt woman in every single role.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 4

Well, you learn something every day. I was going to come here to call Dell a fucking idiot for suggesting that Ma Petite was taken by a coyote, but I thought I should Google "coyotes in Florida" before making an ass out of myself. Lo and behold... we do have coyotes in Florida. The more you know!

• Love 5

I don't know why they always use the threat that "you'll go to jail" whenever anyone is going to kill somebody like the freak sisters when they were going to kill Penny's dad. Maggie stopped them with that threat. The police have not been seen in that area since psycho clown. Nobody called the police about Ma Petite, Ethel's car crash, all the stuff Dandy's done, and I'm sure no one will notice Dandy's mother has disappeared.

Great acting between Jessica and Kathy Bates. Angela Bassett killed it too tonight. No pun intended.

I did notice in the camp kitchen scene Jimmy's hands looked really fake like latex falling off his hands.

Great episode though. Next week's look good too.

• Love 2
Gabby is the worst actress ever. She makes Emma Roberts look good.

At least she had limited screen time tonight.  But

next week,ooh looks like Dandy is going to have some fun with her.

Was it just me or did her hands look HUGE in those white gloves?

Penny's hair is hysterical.

I would like to see any behind the scene stuff of how they did that design on Grace Gummer's face.

Now I'm wondering is the shrink was some famous guest star that will be revealed later? Why no focus on his face?

I watched it again and I didn't even think the voice sounded familiar. But we'll see.

Nice shout out from Ryan Murphy having Stanley tell Jessica Lange she'd win an Oscar one day.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 4

Poor Jimmy his mom was going to kill herself but well she left him a letter. His father killed Ma Petite. Then Elsa who even talked about how she raised him as a child more then his own mom did is the one who killed her. Maggie who claims to love him still knows about Stanley and his plans to has done nothing about it. Does that about sum it up?

Emma continues to be a bad actress. I cant even with her.

Ryan tried to go all Game of Thrones and Walking Dead with killing characters.

I like the woman coming together to avenge Penny.

• Love 2

Good Grief, Emma Roberts is a lousy actress. It made long for Mat Fraser all the more. I guess Paul is still recovering

I'm pretty sure Paul was in the burial scene. And yes, Emma Roberts is lousy and Gabourey is really, really, lousy. Grace Gummer not only looks like her mother, she sounds just like her as well.

I would like to see any behind the scene stuff of how they did that design on Grace Gummer's face.

I'm sure it's some sort of full face/neck/shoulder temporary tattoo that they can just print out and apply.

Despite the episode's title I did not see a literal bath of blood coming, I just assumed it referred to the killings that happened throughout the show. Speaking of which: Killing off two superb actresses in one episode was quite a blow.

• Love 3

I'm so upset that Ethel is gone. I was really loving the developing friendship between her and Desiree. Loved the girls getting together and taking down Pennys father. Stupid Maggie had to go and ruin it. I really want something horrible to happen to her. To me she is no better than her douchebag partner in crime. GS is a truly terrible actress. Every time she talks I cringe and it takes me right out of the scene/moment. I really couldn't figure out how Del was going to worm his way out of the Ma Petite situation but Ryan Murphy made it happen. There are only three more episodes left so I am really curious to see how all of this works out. 

• Love 4

Even thought they talked about them, I totally forgot Bette/Dot weren't in the ep until I saw next week's preview! Is there going to be another break after next week or sometime before Xmas?

There are only three more episodes left so I am really curious to see how all of this works out.

Wait, there's 11 episodes this season?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

I just read a story on Yahoo about the actress who plays the fat lady, and she says in the article:

"I had one night to prepare. I stayed up until 4 a.m. practicing with [dialogue] that had almost nothing pertaining to the actual character or episode. They sent four tapes to Ryan, and I was the very, very lucky girl he chose. I was jumping around my house when I heard, and now I find myself sitting across from Jessica Lange and acting with Kathy Bates."

(Bolding mine.)  Ethel was killed before the fat lady was hired.  What's up with that, I wonder?

• Love 3

Honestly why didn't they just cast Gabourey as the fat lady, She looks exactly the same size as this girl cast as Ima Wiggles.

I just read a story on Yahoo about the actress who plays the fat lady, and she says in the article:

"I had one night to prepare. I stayed up until 4 a.m. practicing with [dialogue] that had almost nothing pertaining to the actual character or episode. They sent four tapes to Ryan, and I was the very, very lucky girl he chose. I was jumping around my house when I heard, and now I find myself sitting across from Jessica Lange and acting with Kathy Bates."

(Bolding mine.)  Ethel was killed before the fat lady was hired.  What's up with that, I wonder?

• Love 5

Aw, didn't think Ethel was going to leave us already. really thought she'd carry out her threat of killing Elsa. Well she almost did if it was not for a knife to the eye. RIP Ethel.  But that was a great finale scene with Lang and Bates.

Oh crap and our second death...Gloria! I thought it was a matter of time because Dandy is a ticking bomb but I wasn't thinking it would be in this ep.  Although maybe should have expected it since the title is Blood Bath.

Ethel's death pissed me off.  She's the best actor and one of the few likeable people left.

I'm glad Gloria is dead, but she received too easy of a death.  She is responsible for Dandy and has protected him.  I would have been fine if he tied her up and tortured her for days.  She was as much of a monster as he was. 

Maggie,  seriously GTFO.  Girl saves Ma Petite once and she thinks she can moralize about how everyone should act. No. Also, Jimmy and Maggie=I am bored on Dandy levels. I feel like Jimmy literally has more romantic chemistry with any other character on this show. 

The train wreck that is EP and ER's true relationship ruins whatever chemistry there may be (for me).

The music played in the Dandy scenes is so retro horror (The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery) it takes me out of the moment.

• Love 4

I was confused, when Emma Roberts's character (I can't even remember her name) came in while they were tarring and feathering Lee Tergesen, I was wondering, isn't she too late? I thought tarring and feathering someone by itself would be enough to kill them.

"Tarring and feathering was often presented in literature humorously as a punishment inflicting public humiliation and discomfort, but not serious injury. This would be hard to understand if the tar used were the material now most commonly referred to as "tar", which has a high melting point and would cause serious burns to the skin. However, the "tar" used then was pine tar, a completely different substance, with a much lower melting point." -- Wikipedia

• Love 3

I wanted to see Beecher go all crazy Beecher, they could've had him recite some nursery rhymes before tarring and feathering him.  Evan Peter's ass is now vying with Dandy's ass for my favorite character.  Now Dandy is all alone with all the money and the psychosis brought on by inbreeding,  Maybe he'll bury his mom in the potagerie with Dora.  Thanks AHS for making me use a dictionary. :D

• Love 5

"Tarring and feathering was often presented in literature humorously as a punishment inflicting public humiliation and discomfort, but not serious injury. This would be hard to understand if the tar used were the material now most commonly referred to as "tar", which has a high melting point and would cause serious burns to the skin. However, the "tar" used then was pine tar, a completely different substance, with a much lower melting point." -- Wikipedia

However, this tar was boiling - and it caused the skin on Penny's father's face to come right off when someone touched it.

• Love 3

Still waiting for the scariest season yet.

I mean come on we now have a killer clown serial killer, a derange rich white boy serial killer, Elsa the killer, The strong man killer,  the con man is basically a killer, the Penny revenge girls all  willing to be killers.

So when in doubt just write anyone and everyone as a killer.

• Love 7
Well, you learn something every day. I was going to come here to call Dell a fucking idiot for suggesting that Ma Petite was taken by a coyote, but I thought I should Google "coyotes in Florida" before making an ass out of myself. Lo and behold... we do have coyotes in Florida. The more you know!

We do?  I've lived in Tampa since 1996 and had no idea.  No quite as good as "a dingo ate my baby" though.  Almost wished Del would have suggested our awesome Florida panther as the culprit.  

• Love 1

Is it wrong that I didn't care that Gloria died? Had she actually done what the therapist said and not enabled Dandy's murderous actions, she might still be alive.

Regina could either be Dandy's next victim or his downfall if the trailer for the next episode is anything to go by.

Elsa's tears for Ma Petite might have been genuine but I loved Ethel tearing her to strips before the latter was murdered by Elsa. Unlike Gloria, I will actually miss Ethel though.

That being said, between Elsa's horrible OTT crying/hammy antics (easily Lange's worst performance this season) and Jimmy's drinking/lashing out, there were some scenes I seriously wanted to fast forward there.

Both Dell and Stanley better suffer some horrible deaths in the next few weeks.

Loved seeing Penny, Desiree, Suzy and Eve banding together. Penny's father being tarred and feathered was suitable justice.

If I were Barbara, I'd get the hell out of that camp and fast. She seems harmless though.

The lack of chemistry between Jimmy and Maggie couldn't be more abundant in this episode if it tried.

Didn't really miss Bette and Dot this week, 7/10

• Love 4
We lose Ethel and Gloria in the same episode!!!!!

Lawd that's the truth!  I should have guessed with an episode called Blood Bath that the pooh was gonna hit the fan but wow.  I'm glad I didn't read any spoilers on this episode. I was truly shocked when these characters died. 

So does this mean we are done with the Penny & her dad story line?  I hope so cause it always seemed just kinda shoe horned in and then her love interest with Paul....what?

That being said, between Elsa's horrible OTT crying/hammy antics (easily Lange's worst performance this season)

I kinda think it was meant to be an over exaggerated acting stunt when Ethel died but IMO I fully believed her tears when she found out about Ma Petit.  I think it speaks highly of an actresses' abilities who can seem genuine one minute and then obviously hammy the next.

But yeah I agree Jimmy is starting to be a drag/bore.  *sigh* It's a shame b/c I love Evan Peters but jeez this character just isn't good enough for his acting abilities.

Hey on a side note:  Do you think Stanley took Ethel's head to the museum?  That's why he suggested it look like it had been cut off?  I find it odd that he would miss an opportunity to cash in on a freak's death like that.

Oh and did you guys recognize the surgeon that gave Elsa her Pinocchio wooden legs?!  It was the jazz musician/serial killer from last season!  Happy to see him--but I gotta admit even from my untrained eye I could tell those wooden legs would never work; the dang ankle didn't have any bend joints to them.  How the flip is she suppose to walk??  Why was that scene even in the show?  Did we really need an explanation as to what happened to Elsa after the snuff film?  It seemed pretty obvious to me what went down.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 7

Did I hear correctly? Was there a "shocking" reveal that Dandy's parents were second cousins? Because that is just not a big deal. Heck, first cousin marriage is legal in a lot of states. (TMI alert: a couple of decades ago my husband's father casually mentioned at a family get-together that his parents were first cousins. My response: "Ah, another piece of the puzzle falls into place.") Anyway, if the show was going to do a shocking incest reveal, why not just make them brother and sister? It's not like they're afraid to do "twisted."

I know English isn't your first language, Elsa, but still...how the hell does the name "Ima Wiggles" make sense to you? You clearly know that the famous fat lady went by "Ima Waddler," and not "Ima Waddles."

Oh my gosh, THIS! Presumably English is the first language of the AHS writers, but they don't seem to be very strong on parts of speech.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 8

So mad that Ruth (Ms. Dandy) and Bettina (Ethel) (two of my favorite characters and the best actors on the show) were offed at the same time.  I LOVED Ethel and she was probably one of the only interesting characters and decent people left.

I really didn't quite understand what Ethel was trying to accomplish by murdering Elsa (and did I hear right--she was also planning to kill all the freaks?), but I think this was easily Lange's best performance in a so far lacklustre season for her.  The showdown between the two heavyweight thespians was great.  Really sad Ethel is gone.  

Also wasn't really shocked by the reveal that Dandy's parents were second cousins.  I think research has shown that even in first cousin marriages there is a very very low risk of complications.  After all on average second cousins only share about 6.5% of the same DNA.  If second cousin marriages produce psychos, I should be certifiable---one set of my gr gr grandparents were first cousins once removed, a set of gr gr gr grandparents were FIRST cousins, and another set of gr grandparents were second cousins once removed.  That's just what happened in the 1700s and 1800s in rural America--people lived in the same place for generations, and married their neighbors, who were very often their kin.  American pioneers traveled in family groups to settle new areas, so a high percentage of cosanguine marriages was inevitable.  (sorry - genealogy geek here)

• Love 4

Even though I like the episodes in the moment I'm finding myself not caring about a lot of things that happen this season. Gloria's death was the closest because of Frances Conroy's performance. It also didn't make any sense to me. Dandy manipulated her the way he wanted to ten seconds prior and then, just, bam. Okay?

When Ethel died I was just relieved because the character did less than nothing for me. But killing these characters off in episode 8 is surely stretching the definition of the word "regular". Did they just not think the characters worked or was it planned from early on? I'm bummed that Dandy didn't manipulate Gloria into killing Gabourey Sidibe and then made her go on a killing spree with him. They could've been an even more twisted partners in crime pairing than Stanley and Maggie (who are just a snooze, especially the latter).

It's just a series of moments. Some great, some bananas, some wtf, but in general I don't care about the overall story. What even is the overall story?

Where did Sarah Paulson go? Not that she was especially missed. I feel like her heads have the same interaction between each other in every episode.

I just feel like a lot of these characters don't have any purpose except for filling out the freak show.

• Love 9

A part of me really wants him to either *be* a slightly younger Thredson, or be his mentor. I think the reasons we didn't see his face are we're going to see him again, and it's going to be a "Oh, woooow" reveal of some sort.

• Love 3

A part of me really wants him to either *be* a slightly younger Thredson, or be his mentor. I think the reasons we didn't see his face are we're going to see him again, and it's going to be a "Oh, woooow" reveal of some sort.

Well, we know it's not NPH.

I didn't think it made any sense for Penny to threaten to kill her father if he came near her or the others. He had absolutely no intention of ever coming near them; they kidnapped him. She should have compromised with Maggie and done the castration, but left him alive.

• Love 5

No, people have definitely survived tar-and-feathers throughout history (I know this from reading the Outlander series!), but it is very painful, and a lot of times people would die from exposure, neglect afterwards, etc.

Damn, but Finn Wittrock is totally mesmerising as Dandy!  He may be my all-time favorite character in all seasons of AHS.  He's amazing, and is totally bringing it!  I can't imagine how this season will end, and how he'll get his comeuppance.  The mind boggles that he'd actually kill his own doting mother, but then again he is a total psychopath.

• Love 4

The mind boggles that he'd actually kill his own doting mother, but then again he is a total psychopath.

God, he really is, isn't he?  I'm surprised that the shrink didn't have him carted away to the looney bin on the spot.  They could still do involuntary institutionalization in those days, dontcha know.

At least she had limited screen time tonight.  But

next week,ooh looks like Dandy is going to have some fun with her.

Was it just me or did her hands look HUGE in those white gloves?

Penny's hair is hysterical.

I watched it again and I didn't even think the voice sounded familiar. But we'll see.

Nice shout out from Ryan Murphy having Stanley tell Jessica Lange she'd win an Oscar one day.

I didn't watch it again, but wouldn't it be cool if they brought back John Carroll Lynch as the shrink?

• Love 1

Speaking of Maggie, she was also in on the cover up of Ethel's "suicide" right? Cause that was some bad fake acting when she was telling Jimmy about Ethel.

I don't think she was in on it. I think that was just actual bad acting. (As opposed to Lange's most excellent bad fake acting at "learning" of the death!)

Hey on a side note:  Do you think Stanley took Ethel's head to the museum?  That's why he suggested it look like it had been cut off?  I find it odd that he would miss an opportunity to cash in on a freak's death like that.

Oh and did you guys recognize the surgeon that gave Elsa her Pinocchio wooden legs?!  It was the jazz musician/serial killer from last season!  

I think it would be odd of Stanley to take Ethel's head. I mean wouldn't that be more of a superficial oddity that wouldn't really appeal to the museum? Anyone could glue some pubes onto a head and put it in a display case, right?

I believe the surgeon actor (forgetting his name!) is also doing the voice of the psychiatrist. I'm wondering if that's for a later reveal or just for the actor to do more in the episode.

I forgot where Bette and Dot were this episode? Does anyone recall why they weren't around?

• Love 1

I could be wrong b/c I haven't read any spoilers, but I would swear I recognized the psychiatrist's voice to be that of

Danny Huston

, try as he might to disguise it. And based on what we saw last night in other scenes, I suspect that's why his face wasn't shown, so that we'll be more "shocked" when it eventually is.

Edited by Toot Toot
I just feel like a lot of these characters don't have any purpose except for filling out the freak show.

That's what I find so frustrating about this season honestly. It's been hard to remain invested in the freak show characters. Not to say they haven't had their moments. There have been scenes where I have identified with Jimmy, Desiree, Paul, Amazon Eve, Suzie, etc. And   there have been some really genuine performances from the actors. That being said, most of the characters either have been bogged down by boring plots (Paul and the whole Penny thing or Jimmy and the whole Maggie thing) or they just don't get enough development. Which is a total shame. Also, the twins are such a mixed bag, I don't even know how to feel about them at this point.

I thought Ethel was a pretty consistently interesting character, due how wonderful Kathy Bates played the part, but I think they squandered potential by ridding of her so soon and without really giving her character any significance in the end. 

I kinda think it was meant to be an over exaggerated acting stunt when Ethel died but IMO I fully believed her tears when she found out about Ma Petit.  I think it speaks highly of an actresses' abilities who can seem genuine one minute and then obviously hammy the next.

I thought Jessica Lange was on fire this episode, and I've very actively hated Elsa this whole time and have been considerable underwhelmed with her performance. I agree with whoever mentioned the scene between her and Bates was an amazing exchange between veteran actors. Still no fan of Elsa, but if JL keeps this up, I just might change my tune about her. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 3

However, this tar was boiling - and it caused the skin on Penny's father's face to come right off when someone touched it.

True.

The burns alone would kill this guy. Covering him with gross pillow feathers and leaving him to walk home? All those burn wounds are gonna get infected hardcore. He might make it home, and he might even make it to hospital. But he's practically DOA.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

The burns alone would kill this guy. Covering him with gross pillow feathers and leaving him to walk home? All those burn wounds are gonna get infected hardcore. He might make it home, and he might even make it to hospital. But he's practically DOA.

And what's he going to say when he gets to the hospital anyway? "Oh, I tripped and fell into a vat of boiling tar and then some chickens jumped in?"

• Love 9