Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Blood Bath

• Start Topic

And what's he going to say when he gets to the hospital anyway? "Oh, I tripped and fell into a vat of boiling tar and then some chickens jumped in?"

LMAO--jeez that's a funny sight. 

I've often wondered if a person that gets tared and feathered would survive.  I've seen documentaries/HBO specials that have shown that being done during the time of the American Revolution.  Even if the tar can be removed, it would leave awful burns on your skin for the rest of your life I would think.

A part of me really wants him to either *be* a slightly younger Thredson, or be his mentor. I think the reasons we didn't see his face are we're going to see him again, and it's going to be a "Oh, woooow" reveal of some sort.

I think it will be Thredson. The second time in his office, with Dandy, it really started to hit me they were trying to hide him. That is when I thought, "what if it is Thredson?" We keep hearing "all AHS seasons are connected" so it would fit. (On a side note; am I the only person who thinks that the whole connection thing is something they just came up with and are now trying to make an actuality after the fact? Universes seem to be "in" now, such as with Marvel movies.) Also; Freak Show is 59 and Asylum is 63 right? The timeline fits for Thredson to be working in FL in 59 and move to Mass in time for the events of Asylum.

Sad to see Ethel go! Hope we still see Bates in flashbacks or some other way. I can take or leave Gloria. Underwhelmed by her, much as I enjoy Conroy.

GS's acting and her character of Regina is terrible. I have never liked GS in anything I have seen her in. She always seems emotionless and monotone in her acting.

• Love 1

Well, apparently the tar wasn't all that hot.  Did anyone else notice that when Penny went to pour the tar on her dad, she placed a bare hand on the bottom of the bucket?  Amazon Eve was at least wearing oven mitts.  Nitpicky I know, but it took me right out of the scene.  

Emma Roberts is horrible.  Count me in as one of the people who thought she knew that Ethel's death wasn't a suicide.  She was that bad.

Why is every fine with Dell still being there? Just because Jimmy got drunk with him?

I was hoping our Merry Band Of Murderesses would head for Dell after Penny's dad. (Even though I am a bit bored with people just being killed by other people-yawn.)

• Love 3

Ethel's death really upset me, more than anything that's happened this season so far (except Dandy hacking up Matt Bomer, of course, because that's just horrid no matter what). I thought her killing Elsa was being telegraphed a little too strongly, so when Elsa threw the knife into her eye I gasped audibly.  I really liked poor, sympathetic Ethel... now I don't feel like any of these people are worth rooting for except Pepper, Salty, Paul, Eve, and maybe Penny.

I also think there's a good chance the psychiatrist will be Thredson.

• Love 3

I really liked poor, sympathetic Ethel... now I don't feel like any of these people are worth rooting for except Pepper, Salty, Paul, Eve, and maybe Penny.

I almost held a funeral service of my own for my hopes of enjoying this season. There have been bits and moments, but it's not enough. And it sounds like we are running out of episodes.

• Love 4

I think it will be Thredson. The second time in his office, with Dandy, it really started to hit me they were trying to hide him. That is when I thought, "what if it is Thredson?" We keep hearing "all AHS seasons are connected" so it would fit. (On a side note; am I the only person who thinks that the whole connection thing is something they just came up with and are now trying to make an actuality after the fact? Universes seem to be "in" now, such as with Marvel movies.) Also; Freak Show is 59 and Asylum is 63 right? The timeline fits for Thredson to be working in FL in 59 and move to Mass in time for the events of Asylum.

GS's acting and her character of Regina is terrible. I have never liked GS in anything I have seen her in. She always seems emotionless and monotone in her acting.

I don't know why GS wasn't cast as the Fat Lady instead of some random unknown girl. Ima is very pretty, though.

Ryan Murphy was insistent for the first three seasons that they were completely different, unrelated, separate stories 100%. Now I guess he's changed his mind. You can't believe a word he says, because he has no qualms in lying or changing his mind.

I want to know what kind of gun Kathy Bates has that will shoot a hole clean through a wooden leg without shattering it. She was the most interesting character this season, and she will be missed. Same goes for Mrs. Mott, because she had that perfect amount of delusion and thinking everyone not in her social circle is trivial, should believe anything they're told, and that the well-bred and wealthy are about the law.

Jimmy is as stupid as his father for believing Kathy killed herself and for falling for Elsa's antics. Grace Gummer is impressing me, but she really speaks very clearly for someone who's just had their tongue forked. No way that wouldn't be still swollen and wouldn't affect her speech.

It definitely looked like Dandy had a puppet in the preview.

• Love 4

Poor Jimmy. Atleast Dell is in the clear with him. Good thing he didn't bash his son with a rock! I still think he's a poor excuse for a man going for the smallest, most innocent character. Did anyone else think it was incrediblt weird that Jimmy found solace in Barbaras fat? Don't listen to Elsa, Jimmy!

He was present for Ethel's burial wasn't he?

Yes, he was. I believe Elsa was the only one missing and Jimmy called her out on it later in the episode. Can't wait till everyone finds out she's a baaaad freak.

I just read a story on Yahoo about the actress who plays the fat lady, and she says in the article:

"I had one night to prepare. I stayed up until 4 a.m. practicing with [dialogue] that had almost nothing pertaining to the actual character or episode. They sent four tapes to Ryan, and I was the very, very lucky girl he chose. I was jumping around my house when I heard, and now I find myself sitting across from Jessica Lange and acting with Kathy Bates."

(Bolding mine.) Ethel was killed before the fat lady was hired. What's up with that, I wonder?

Barbara was introduced the same ep that Ethel was killed so im sure they spent some time on the set together. I wonder how JL will go out considering she's been talking about this being her last season...maybe Cher will be the new queen B

I wanted to see Beecher go all crazy Beecher, they could've had him recite some nursery rhymes before tarring and feathering him. Evan Peter's ass is now vying with Dandy's ass for my favorite character. Now Dandy is all alone with all the money and the psychosis brought on by inbreeding, Maybe he'll bury his mom in the potagerie with Dora. Thanks AHS for making me use a dictionary. :D

Im betting on Dandy stringing up franny like a puppet. Mark my words lol

A part of me really wants him to either *be* a slightly younger Thredson, or be his mentor. I think the reasons we didn't see his face are we're going to see him again, and it's going to be a "Oh, woooow" reveal of some sort.

Yeah, my gut reaction is they didn't have his contract completed so they just didn't show a face, but it will be someone we've seen before.

• Love 1

Still not really feeling this season and I don't need to see gruesome deaths every week. Among other things, the idea that Elsa could live after her injury (even if she was carried to a doctor, she would have been in shock, cardiac arrest and have bled to death in minutes), and now we are supposed to believe a man whose skin has been burned off (his face was a skeleton), could actually crawl away and live.

Finn Wintrock is very good as dandy, but there isn't much for him to do but kill people. When he was in cahoots with Twisty, it was at least interesting. I also have guessed from the very beginning that he will be made into a freak or make himself into a freak at the end. This will mean Penny, Penny's dad and Dandy will all be made into freaks. What is the point of all this?

• Love 4

I really, really want Frances Conroy to get a supporting Emmy nomination because she is just too good. I'm going to miss the presence of her character.

I knew Dandy would kill her eventually but this was a bit sooner than I expected.

I thought I'd feel super bad about the death of Ethel but I kind of cheered when Elsa threw the knife. NOt because I have anything against Ethel or feel particularly pro-Elsa--I simply thought it was cool that Elsa was able to get out from between the rock and the hard place.

• Love 3

I'm really trying, but I just don't care about anything except Dandy, his mom, and their plot. Fin Wintrock is SUCH an amazing actor, he is just blowing me away (get it? ha!). His reaction after he shot his mother, and the range of emotions he was able to portray...just WOW. Also, the butt shot was a nice bonus :)

• Love 4
I find myself sitting across from Jessica Lange and acting with Kathy Bates."

(Bolding mine.)  Ethel was killed before the fat lady was hired.  What's up with that, I wonder?

Maybe it was a rehearsal exercise - or a scene that ended up on the cutting room floor. It is amazing how much film is never used. Whole characters and plot lines disappear in a heartbeat, as if they never existed. It often happens for no other reason than time constraints.

I thought tarring and feathering someone by itself would be enough to kill them.

I remember reading that it depends on the tar.  During colonial times, it wasn't scalding hot tar so the person survived but was embarrassed and had a difficult and painful time getting the stuff off.   Modern hot-top tar like used on roofs would kill you.

Still not really feeling this season and I don't need to see gruesome deaths every week. Among other things, the idea that Elsa could live after her injury (even if she was carried to a doctor, she would have been in shock, cardiac arrest and have bled to death in minutes), and now we are supposed to believe a man whose skin has been burned off (his face was a skeleton), could actually crawl away and live.

Finn Wintrock is very good as dandy, but there isn't much for him to do but kill people. When he was in cahoots with Twisty, it was at least interesting. I also have guessed from the very beginning that he will be made into a freak or make himself into a freak at the end. This will mean Penny, Penny's dad and Dandy will all be made into freaks. What is the point of all this?

Dear Madding Crowd,  where do I begin?  First off, I agree on all counts.   Mainly WHAT IS THE POINT of all this!?

I know I said I was out when they killed Twisty (those Bastards!)  but I couldn't resist tuning in the past few eps, just to see if RM is going to honor his claim that Twisty is NOT gone for good.    I'm just wondering if RM is lying once again; that Twisty is indeed gone and I'm simply his (RM's) bitch.    Gah.

Since this is AHS, I don't mind a few gruesome deaths with a plotline.  However, the murdering is just kind of random and pointless.

On other topics:

Put me in the camp of thinking Maggie was in on Ethel's death; because of ER's horrid acting.  It's positively cringe worthy.  GS is no award winning actress, but I think she actually appears acceptable next to ER.   I actually like her line of "My Mother is out buying ...................squash?"   Oh which reminds me, love that they were playing chutes and ladders. Heh.

And I liked Elsa's quote of "To me, death is preferable to Tampa."    BWAH !    I live in Florida and live on the east coast so I found it funny.  No offense to the Florida west coasters ........... I actually like Tampa.

So are Penny and Paul still a couple ?  They were standing so far apart at Ethel's burial.   WTF?

FW is definitely rocking his Dandy (no pun intended) role, but damn.....................RM had a great thing going with the Dandy/Twisty combo.    I get so sad to think of how much I used to look forward to seeing this show  (the first 4 episodes).  But now it's just another run of the mill Ryan Murphy f*cked up storylines.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

Speaking of Maggie, she was also in on the cover up of Ethel's "suicide" right? Cause that was some bad fake acting when she was telling Jimmy about Ethel.

Stanley kept shooting Maggie meaningful looks, so I absolutely think she was in on it. She wasn't seen in the flashbacks, though, which may have led to the confusion.

I've often wondered if a person that gets tared and feathered would survive.

Anyone remember the late, great HBO show Carnivale? A character on that show (Jonesy) is tarred and feathered and when the feathers are pulled off it looks like his skin mostly comes with it. I sort of assumed that the heat of the tar would destroy the skin and/or cause such deep cracks that infection would be inevitable.

ETA: I see joelene thought of that before I did!

Also; Freak Show is 59 and Asylum is 63 right?

Freak Show is 1952 and Asylum is 1964.

Edited by rubinia
  • Love 2

I really like what a previous poster's idea that the mysterious physciatrist is Thresdon from season 2 but the doctor sounded a bit older to me.  And if this is Thresdon he would have to particularly young.  He almost sounds like the doctor Ethel and then Desiree were seeing but I know that can't be it.

I don't think Maggie was in on let us make it look like Ethel killed herself since she was not in the flashbacks. I do think she feels Stanley killed her his freak collection since that is why they both showed up in the first place. That is where all the looks were coming from and why she is always telling Jimmy we have to leave.

I do think this season is better then Coven but not as good as the first two. I will be honest in saying I am mostly sticking around because of my love for Evan Peters. I know its shallow but he is looking good.

I love Evan Peters, too. But honestly, I have no tolerance for Jimmy. I find him boring as hell, and I actually think he and Maggie are perfect for each other. They both love to prattle on about morality, when they've both done horrible things. (In Maggie's case, scheming with Stanley, and convincing him that Ma Petite would be the ideal freak to kill. In Jimmy's case, killing that cop, and taking advantage of Penny after she was drugged.)

• Love 3

So sad that my 3 favorite characters: Ethel, Gloria, and Ma Petit, were all killed during the last 2 episodes. The only characters I am rooting for now are Pepper (although I already know her fate), and Angela Bassett. Penny should've killed her father. Emma Roberts is really annoying and she is dragging Evan Peters down with her. I am really disliking the "teen love story" that Ryan Murphy just has to include every season involving Peters and either the boring Violet girl and/or Roberts. It gets annoying real quick and drags the story down. I do like the addition of the Fat Lady though.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 4
Guest Accused Dingo

Last season everyone complained about no one getting killed off so what does Ryan Murphy do this season.....he kills everyone!!!!!!

• Love 1

Last season everyone complained about no one getting killed off so what does Ryan Murphy do this season.....he kills everyone!!!!!!

I'm 100% a-ok with a large body count. I'm only bothered that RM found a way to make me bored by it.

Actually leaning toward appalled that he managed to do so with the likes of Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Patti Labelle, Francis Conroy, and knockout performances by Finn Wittrock and John Carroll Lynch on hand. Isn't there a proverbial room of 1,000 chimps with 1,000 typewriters someplace that could lend Murphy a few pages of plot to help out?

• Love 7

I'm 100% a-ok with a large body count. I'm only bothered that RM found a way to make me bored by it.

Actually leaning toward appalled that he managed to do so with the likes of Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Patti Labelle, Francis Conroy, and knockout performances by Finn Wittrock and John Carroll Lynch on hand. Isn't there a proverbial room of 1,000 chimps with 1,000 typewriters someplace that could lend Murphy a few pages of plot to help out?

Bwaaahh ! So much this !

Not only a superb cast as EB mentioned; but a fantastic concept for this season's theme, a kick ass setting, scenery, costumes, a to die for Intro (with the tinkling carnival music intertwined with the AHS horror theme).   

That this isn't the best show on television with critics kissing his feet......well........It's downright sacrilege!!!!!!!

Because of all those things, I'm trying so hard to like this show.  But I feel as if RM is doing his best for me not to.   Damnit.

Edited by jnymph

Well this episode sure lived up to its title, literally and figuratively.  Both kills could be seen coming a mile away, so I was also less shocked than I might have been.  I did like the conclusion to the story of Elsa's legs though.  I think it would have been merciful to kill the father after the tar and feathers, I can't see him surviving that and his end would have been slow and agonizing.  The way he was screaming it seemed that they were pouring scalding hot tar on him, so all of his skin would have been burned off.  But maybe it was just lukewarm tar, lol.

I'm not sure that the psychiatrist is Thredson.  This is 12 years before Asylum, and in that one he is like in his thirties.  That would make him an awfully young psychiatrist in Freak Show.

Edited by Dobian
Oh and did you guys recognize the surgeon that gave Elsa her Pinocchio wooden legs?!  It was the jazz musician/serial killer from last season!

He carved her legs beautifully from KNOTTY PINE.

Loved how Elsa couldn't be bothered to be too frightened by Ethel's gun. "Honey, I somehow survived having my legs chainsawed off--guns do nothing." She's a survivor, more then any of her "children", which is one reason she sees herself as deserving of their worship as their "savior."  She picked up this and that piece--Ethel's mention of leaving a letter for Jimmy and so on--and she and Stanley managed to engineer a scenario that was just enough to be believed.

Kathy Bates was killing it last episode and this one. That stoic Maryland face with so much heartbreak going on behind it; you could almost forget (like the show has!) the she pimped her son out.

Jimmy's constant grudge-drinking and self pity, though understandable, is really getting on my nerves, considering he doesn't seem to broken up that he shot and killed a cop to protect a murderer. Not that the Jupiter cops are particularly sympathetic guys but dude, you aren't better then they are, no matter what your reasons. Also, how is the farmer they're renting the field from feeling about all these burials on his land?

I liked Angela Basset's speech at Ethel's grave and her using it to motivate the others into revenge. It felt more organic than Jimmy's previous pronouncements. 

Poor Gloria. I loved her the most, with her fabulous, tasteful-but-just-a-wisp-too-young outfits and her pleadings with her horrid offspring ( "We can play with your June Allyson Paper Dolls, or whatever you'd like!") and how she came to the realization just too late that there's nothing she can do to help or fix Dandy. Although I along with the other posters was a little taken aback that second cousinship marriage would be considered such a huge scandal--that's really nothing and certainly wouldn't heighten any genetic markers for mental illness appreciably, but it did lead to my favorite lines of the night: "You're as bad as the Roosevelts!" "How dare you say that name in this house!" Hee. 

• Love 5

Lawd that's the truth! I should have guessed with an episode called Blood Bath that the pooh was gonna hit the fan but wow. I'm glad I didn't read any spoilers on this episode. I was truly shocked when these characters died.

So does this mean we are done with the Penny & her dad story line? I hope so cause it always seemed just kinda shoe horned in and then her love interest with Paul....what?

I kinda think it was meant to be an over exaggerated acting stunt when Ethel died but IMO I fully believed her tears when she found out about Ma Petit. I think it speaks highly of an actresses' abilities who can seem genuine one minute and then obviously hammy the next.

But yeah I agree Jimmy is starting to be a drag/bore. *sigh* It's a shame b/c I love Evan Peters but jeez this character just isn't good enough for his acting abilities.

Hey on a side note: Do you think Stanley took Ethel's head to the museum? That's why he suggested it look like it had been cut off? I find it odd that he would miss an opportunity to cash in on a freak's death like that.

Oh and did you guys recognize the surgeon that gave Elsa her Pinocchio wooden legs?! It was the jazz musician/serial killer from last season! Happy to see him--but I gotta admit even from my untrained eye I could tell those wooden legs would never work; the dang ankle didn't have any bend joints to them. How the flip is she suppose to walk?? Why was that scene even in the show? Did we really need an explanation as to what happened to Elsa after the snuff film? It seemed pretty obvious to me what went down.

Yes i noticed it was him immediately! His character last season creeped me out so much. Isn't he a Huston?
  • Love 1

That was way too little Danny Huston! I got excited when I saw his name in the credits but then he was just a cameo.

Danny Huston played Massimo Dolcefino. Both he & Jessica Lange were way too old in the flashbacks. (And the closed captioning said they were speaking German rather than Italian. It always bugs when CC say "speaking native language," but it's still better than getting it wrong.)

Gloria's psychiatrist sounded like Danny Huston. Perhaps they used him for now (like Larry David doing George Steinbrenner on Seinfeld) before actually casting the role? I'd like to see Julian McMahon as a '50s doctor.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

Yes i noticed it was him immediately! His character last season creeped me out so much. Isn't he a Huston?

Yes, he's one of those Hustons. He's grandson of Walter, brother of John, half-brother of Anjelica, etc.

• Love 2

I want to know what kind of gun Kathy Bates has that will shoot a hole clean through a wooden leg without shattering it.

More importantly, will she be wearing pants from now on or just shove in a corkscrew  to plug it up?  ;)

He carved her legs beautifully from KNOTTY PINE.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing too Snookums. In my head  for that scene,Elsa was yelling, Knotty Pine!!

ETA-  OMG- I just saw the title for the next episode! I hope the ep is as interesting as the title! Which is Tupperware Party Massacre.  I would totally watch a movie with that title! It's one of those it sounds so bad it's good. *weirdo*

Edited by maraleia
removed spoiler tag per standards
  • Love 3

Hey I'm new, I hope you don't mind if this plebe jumps in.

Regarding the tar, take into consideration that that they cooked it on the caravan or trailer and then had to transport it so I'm sure it would have maybe cooled down to the point where it was able to be handled. I thought it was more about sticking and making a mess than scalding him to death. However, I could be wrong.

• Love 1

Hey I'm new, I hope you don't mind if this plebe jumps in.

Regarding the tar, take into consideration that that they cooked it on the caravan or trailer and then had to transport it so I'm sure it would have maybe cooled down to the point where it was able to be handled. I thought it was more about sticking and making a mess than scalding him to death. However, I could be wrong.

Didn't they cook it in the same trailer where they poured it on him?

Regardless, though, the tar was hot enough to make the skin on his face peel right off.

I guess it's magical tar, which was hot enough to make a man's skin peel off, but somehow cool enough that he'd be able to survive after being covered in it, and then crawling home.

But was that really Finn's ass? We didn't see him from the neck up. It could of been a stunt butt.

I'm thinking Finn Wittrock wouldn't have gone near this show if he wasn't willing to show his ass. And I don't think he was a big enough name when he was shooting this season that he could insist they hire a butt double.

• Love 1

Ethel hid the twins to protect them from Elsa and Stanley. She did so based on the conversation she overheard between Elsa and Stanley in last week's episode. Ethel mentioned it briefly shortly after confronting Elsa.

• Love 1

Danny Huston played Massimo Dolcefino. Both he & Jessica Lange were way too old in the flashbacks. (And the closed captioning said they were speaking German rather than Italian. It always bugs when CC say "speaking native language," but it's still better than getting it wrong.)

I think they should've looked older in the flashbacks. If there were Nazis around, it had to be somewhere from 1933-1945ish, and this is set in 1952. I'm not impressed with JL's American trying to speak German trying to speak Italian. Truth be told, there's nothing likeable about Elsa, so I can't even love to hate her. She's just mean.

More importantly, will she be wearing pants from now on or just shove in a corkscrew  to plug it up?  ;)

Heh, I was thinking the same thing too Snookums. In my head  for that scene,Elsa was yelling, Knotty Pine!!

ETA-  OMG- I just saw the title for the next episode! I hope the ep is as interesting as the title! Which is

Tupperware Party Massacre.

I would totally watch a movie with that title! It's one of those it sounds so bad it's good. *weirdo*

KNOTTY PIIIINNEE might be my fave quote from the whole series.

Tupperware party massacre - does this mean Jimmy the Gigolo is going visit some housewives again, or is Dandy keeping people fresh in plastic boxes?

I'm not sure that the psychiatrist is Thredson.  This is 12 years before Asylum, and in that one he is like in his thirties.  That would make him an awfully young psychiatrist in Freak Show.

I never knew Thredson's actual age, which is why I said it was either a very young Thredson, or Thredson's mentor. In the latter case, and if the psychiatrist is shown again, a wider shot of the office could show an intern Thredson in the background or something of that nature.

Maybe it was a rehearsal exercise - or a scene that ended up on the cutting room floor. It is amazing how much film is never used. Whole characters and plot lines disappear in a heartbeat, as if they never existed. It often happens for no other reason than time constraints.

Maybe Kathy Bates head will have more lines to come.  It went on and on in Coven.  

Gabourey looked about one cheeseburger from death.  Good lord.  I'm guessing she wasn't cast as the carnival fat lady out of respect, and that actual 'fat lady' wore a frame under her dress to make her bigger than Gabourey, also out of respect.  I guess in RM's mind you can cast the others with real physical oddities as side show freaks but not a fat lady.  Because that would be insensitive.