Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I have noticed that since our "traffic light" advisory, the number of posts has dropped. I know I'm nervous about posting comments for the most part as they might be screened incorrectly. Do you fellow posters feel the same way?

• Like 18
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

Fosca, before you go, please post here where that will be as I wouldn't want to lose the great people who post here on the Counting On thread. Thank you so much.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Fosca, before you go, please post here where that will be as I wouldn't want to lose the great people who post here on the Counting On thread. Thank you so much.

They have asked that we do that via DM. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
9 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I have noticed that since our "traffic light" advisory, the number of posts has dropped. I know I'm nervous about posting comments for the most part as they might be screened incorrectly. Do you fellow posters feel the same way?

I noticed this discrepancy: Let's turn this 🔴Yellow Light to 💚Green by 4/1/24. We can do this!

I don't know if the red dot was called Yellow light initially, but that's what is posted now. I got criticized for comments I made after the red lights went up, but I still don't know what initially caused the disciplinary action since I hadn't read these forums for about 2 or 3 days prior. It's about as quiet as a nunnery here, so we will see.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

When?

There's a mod note at the top of the page.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

There's a mod note at the top of the page.

Thanks, I missed it. They posted that, yet still won’t give us any details on what kinds of posts they found inappropriate here? 🤦‍♀️

• Like 17
  • Sad 3

I almost never comment, but I read here every day and have so much enjoyed sharing this space with all of you!  Would someone kindly DM me with the site where I can find you all again?  Thanks so much!

• Like 6
  • Love 3

All the mods will do is drive away the regular posters aka lower the traffic to the site. I mostly post on here and I lost interest as is. So when this portion closes I don’t think I’m gonna post at all. Oh  well everything changes…

• Like 7
  • Sad 3
(edited)

The ambiguity here at Counting On is getting really old.  I have always admired the intelligent posters and postings that we have here, and quite frankly, I find the "elevate the dialogue" (or whatever it is) mandate to be a little bewildering and insulting.

Random question:  why is this post recommended at top of this page?  I have no opinion one way or the other on the post, I just don't understand the logic:

image.thumb.png.09dc6c470e90091fdc5802cd31add23e.png

Edited by CouchTater
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Fosca said:

I'm assuming this will all be going away in April 1, so I'm finding alternate places for snark.

I don't watch and have never watched the tv program and only got here by some fluke.  I didn't even realize the connection for years and for me it's never been anything other than a friendly, supportive chat site.  I just scratched my head and moved on from references to people with weird spellings like Jinger that I'd never heard of - and wondered what idiots would spell it like that.  All I knew was that I'd stumbled across a place where I could reach out or reach back, where we could share funny stories about our whacky families or silly misadventures, where politics weren't involved.

What I really don't understand is why the mods can't just come on and say something transparent and actually acknowledge that we're wondering what's going on.  Something like, "While the parent thread is being closed down, we love this particular thread and how you just offer a supportive and non-combative space to chat, so we will be moving it to xxx.blahblah.xyz"

Too much to ask?  Obviously, yes.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, On the Bias said:

I almost never comment, but I read here every day and have so much enjoyed sharing this space with all of you!  Would someone kindly DM me with the site where I can find you all again?  Thanks so much!

Ditto for me...the more places DMed to me the better! Please and Thank you!

• Like 8
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ChiCricket said:

Ditto for me...the more places DMed to me the better! Please and Thank you!

Same, please. I am beyond frustrated with the current situations, as others have articulated.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Posting while I still can.  Thanks everyone.

Through a sort of clearing site for volunteers, I've been trying for a couple of months to connect with a very elderly person who is just looking for company once a week.  (Don't worry, it's through a very well-recognized organization, all above board, legally cleared, sanctioned, vetted, etc!)  We've spoken on the phone and he's asked that I come visit.

(The clearing house checks references, puts any would-be volunteers through background checks, etc.)

The ineptitude of the paid (and yes I'm sure over-worked and under-compensated) person in charge of this has been flabbergasting.

I thought we had finally got to the point of the "client" and me meeting (tomorrow), when this point person just emailed to ask for my phone number so they could make sure everything was cleared.

It's not just that it was on all the masses of paperwork and clearances needed for me even to get to this point, but could they really not just go up to the last-but-one email and see that I add it as part of every signature?  Do client files no longer exist?

Sorry to take my frustration out on you all, but this person is at the end of his life and has no family or friends to visit him.  Something is wrong with the situation.

I have the address so I'm just going to go anyway and deal with the consequences.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Hugs 15
  • Love 1

Maybe its just me, but DMing info doesn't feel very inclusive. 

Anyway, we had a week of spring like weather last week and now that spring will official start the cold weather is back. Its currently in the mid 30s and we'll start the first day of spring in the 20s.

• Like 17
(edited)

I've tried to respond and have had my posts deleted.

I've tried to respond and posts I've quoted have been deleted.

At this point I just hope to read what someone else has to say.

(I'm really hoping those hairs on the palms of my hands aren't an indication of something truly serious.)

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
11 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I suspect others feel similar to the way I do. I have been chatting with many here for close to a couple of decades in several website iterations (TwoP on--there's a reason I have not changed this dumb username). This iteration of the discussion in particular is honestly one of the most inclusive spaces I've found online full stop. Many of you have been with me through the deaths of two parents. To be told without discussion that we're doing it wrong, to be threatened with deletion, and to have such a refusal of engagement on how to improve, is infuriating, infantilizing, and depressing.

The mods need to see this. 

@CM-CrispMtAir @cm-soupsipper

• Like 13
  • Fire 3
  • Thanks 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I'm leaving Wednesday for the Arctic.  Packing for 20-30 degree weather is proving difficult, but I think I will make it.  I'm going to have to take a separate smallish bag just for my heavy boots and warm shoes.  I don't think I am overpacking, but everything is just bulky.  Anyway, this supposed to be a good year for viewing the Northern Lights (lots of sun spots, or something like that), so I hope I get some good views.  And I hope I don't freeze.  I love Norway, and have never been there in the cold weather, so this will be a new experience for me.  If anything happens here, please let me know where to show up.  I don't want to lose my friends!!

Have a wonderful trip!  I'm very jealous, despite the monster boot conundrum (don't ever forget to wear that additional pair of thin socks!).

PM me with an email address and note to remind me (Long Covid brain here!) and if the site disappears while you're gone, I'll try to keep you posted, or at least stay in touch.

Caveat emptor: I have zero insider information and no contacts and know nothing about anything, but if this closes down, I hope we'll all be able to reconnect somewhere.  I don't want to lose these friends either.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

I would also like to be PM’d where to find everyone. I am overwhelmed when I look at some of the other sites mentioned here. Please send details of the exact threads where I can find my dear small talk friends. TIA

• Like 10
(edited)

If its demographics they're concerned about maybe we need to do a roll call for the under 40s who post here.

Also, again, even understanding this is a business with the goal of making money, the mission statement doesn't seem to jibe with the business model.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 16

i m just sad to see the whole duggar forum dying off. since this notice was posted, the comments have dropped off to almost no new posts at all. i hate to see it go, for exactly the reason above...the social value and connections made here on small talk after all these years. i dont really like reddit and will likely not be there and i did join chit chat but its not the same.  i hope those in charge finally reevaluate and recognize this forum has kept growing even after the show was cancelled and has a strong following here.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

Who will play? Lets fill this jar. Using the first letter of your screen name, post something about Primetimer and/or the Counting On forum that you are grateful for. 

I'll start. I'm grateful for all the GENEROUS support from all the posters.

image.png.e9539d6918dcd4052c9c4fb329ea4c67.png

• Like 14
  • Love 2
(edited)

I've been here since TWOP, and at least when TWOP closed we had a place to go (here). 

This whole place has helped me get through some difficult times, this topic and a few others. I feel like I'm losing my lifeline.

If it comes to it, please DM me, too. 

I'm thankful for all of you and the delicious snark, that gave me laughs when they were sorely needed.

Edited by beckie
  • Like 14
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Who will play? Lets fill this jar. Using the first letter of your screen name, post something about Primetimer and/or the Counting On forum that you are grateful for. 

I'm grateful for the NATURALLY kind and friendly posters who populate this forum.

• Like 10
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm grateful for the SAVVY people here who challenge me to think. 👍

59 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

@CM-CrispMtAir @cm-soupsipper

You should keep track of what's being said here. ❤️

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

#DEI

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm grateful for the FRIENDS I've made. 

#kindness

• Like 13
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

We are a MAGICAL community of support and caring. 

• Like 16
  • Love 4

I'm grateful for the BRIGHTandJOVIAL people I've encountered on this forum over the many years. Counting On has been my go-to place to relax and interact after a long day at work or a busy weekend. You are all wonderful people, and I send you happy thoughts across this virtual space. 

• Like 18
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm grateful for the laughs and loving support that we share.  

• Like 15
  • Love 7

I'm grateful for the SUPPORT that is shown on a daily basis.  

I lurked for many months and worried about posting for the first time.  But, I felt welcomed immediately by so many.  And, I really need a place to vent about my husband and family when I can't do it on social media 😉

• Like 12
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I’m grateful for the OUTSTANDING thoughtfulness and support from all my fellow posters.

#kindness #gratitude

• Like 14
  • Love 5