Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Oh wee it seems I've started something. My comment about Karens and being unbalanced wasn't about the shutdowns, but about the forum itself. Just seemed like an opportune time to post what I had observed over the years.

I'm a TWOP refugee. I watched a bit of the Duggars in the beginning but they didn't appeal to me and didn't trust them. By the time most of them got married I wasn't watching. Didn't watch the later shows but I did read these forums as the Josh scandals kept dropping.

The Duggars don't represent me, so I think I view them more objectively. I posted once that if they want to be uneducated buffoons, that's their prerogative. I'm doing better for my kids. 

Things get a bit Karenish when people proclaim if Duggar and company lived as they do, things would be perfect as their own children, marriages schools, etc. are.

I find it unbalanced to want to slap Jinger for a quiet smile. I know the mods have their own issues about violence, but I think the posters need to gain a bit of perspective into what they are looking at and not project so much. If that same smile, disheveled hair, or pose wouldn't bother you on anyone else, just reevaluate your anger. 

• Like 3

I hope @Scarlett45 is having a blast on her trip. I wonder if she is going to recognize our thread and how so many forums have changed. I bet her dog Cosmo is missing her too. I is hearing about him. 

I’m confused about so much that’s going on and changing in the forums. Right now I’m just grateful when I wake up and see that it’s still here. 

• Like 15
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I hope @Scarlett45 is having a blast on her trip. I wonder if she is going to recognize our thread and how so many forums have changed. I bet her dog Cosmo is missing her too. I is hearing about him. 

I’m confused about so much that’s going on and changing in the forums. Right now I’m just grateful when I wake up and see that it’s still here. 

Do you remember when she will be back?  I clicked on her name and saw she had liked some posts so it will not be a shock. I bet she is glad she is out of this mess.

• Like 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, frenchtoast said:

As a former mod (and one that had no input about the changes, I left years ago) the main overall theme/rule/guideline was posters should speak to and about each other with respect/kindness etc. . .  It was my responsibility to read the posts to make sure posters weren't calling each other Karens or unbalanced. Criticizing posters (and calling them unbalanced is criticizing) would be a problem.  .  .  . . And then it just becomes a great big accusatory/defensive circle. I was here as a mod for 4 years. I knew the posters well enough to gauge how they  would probably react. That was ... well not my job because I was a volunteer. A volunteer who spend hours on my vacation when the Josh molestation scandal broke make a safe and caring place for posters.

And that critiquing of other posters seems to be what these new guidelines are pointing to given what has been highlighted and encouraged. I find it hugely problematic. I would have NEVER suggested badges because it's bound to cause resentment and bad feelings. I sure as hell would NEVER EVER highlight a post as a mod to say what a good poster that person is being. I was there to be as neutral and fair as I could be. And being human, I'm sure I failed at that sometimes. But I tried. I tried to make a spot where people could post. The biggest issue with this forum and it's one I couldn't fix was it is hard for people that are fans of the Duggars and their cohort to come and post here. It was not welcoming to them because the posts are overwhelmingly against the Duggars etc. And if someone did post positively about them I could see where they would feel ganged up on. However, I did on occasion remind folks that people are allowed to like and post about the Duggars in the forum. But that was because all posters are to treat each other with respect. If you don't like it you can ignore it. Apparently calling your fellow poster unbalanced and Karens is what is expected here now. And I find that deeply troubling and an anathema to what I practiced as a mod. I would have never even said that in a private message to posters. 

All that being said, if this gets me banned etc so be it. I hope not because I still want to talk about Bad Batch with the other two posters on there. But it is what it is. I find Discord to be easier than Reddit. Not quite as nice as a forum but I prefer the quoting system to Reddits.

@frenchtoast - thank you for your service. I am not kidding!! I appreciated the moderation you and others have provided. I was here when Joshgate broke (under a different username, left* PT that fall when I got upset over something unrelated to the Duggars, and after calming down I rejoined with a new account later that year). Joshgate in spring and summer 2015 was seismic. So many issues in play! [*Edited to add: I quit, I wasn't banned, LOL.]

I've been around since TWoP. And the "no boards on boards" rule has thus been long since well imprinted in my mind. 

I was sitting here trying to draft a comment about the "unbalanced Karens" issue, when your post appeared. Thank you.

I'm here on this subforum to talk about the Duggars and their friends, and here in the Small Talk thread to chat about life in general. 

I realized as I read your post that I do not want or need to hop into the accusatory/defensive circle that the CM's recommending that post will inevitably create.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of the forum, including that there's been some "unbalanced Karen" commentary or it's been "a bit Karenish" or that it's full of godless people who are gonna burn in hell because they snark on Jim Bob Duggar. My perception of the content will inevitably be different than anyone else's, in whole or in part. One person's takeaway from a discussion may be that someone has claimed that their way of childrearing is perfection, while I didn't read that into the comments at all. They aren't wrong - and neither am I, unless one of us has literally misunderstood a plain statement vs. what's implied. 

Thanks for the info on Discord. I have limited experience with it but the app is on my laptop. 

Edited by Jeeves
Removed extra word
  • Like 20
  • Applause 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think we're supposed to infer what's wrong from the "unbalanced" and "Karens in training" comment. 🤷

I'm not sure what is admirable about a post that refers to other posters in that fashion.  Is calling names and questioning mental health of other posters ok as long as they're being diverse, inclusive and equitable in the rest of the post?

Certainly there are kinder ways to characterize posters who are not performing up to whatever new standards are now being required here.

Since the post is marked 'recommended'; I've got to assume it is because it is the sort of thing we're supposed to be doing.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 13
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 7

I'll also add, that for a period of time I felt ST was a little cliquey with some less than nice posters. So what I did was stop coming into the ST thread - for months at a time. I'd occasionally pop in, see what's up, say hi and then disappear. As I said before, I did however appreciate having ST during the pandemic. And I'm appreciating it now.

• Like 12
30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'll also add, that for a period of time I felt ST was a little cliquey with some less than nice posters.

I would agree with this - pre pandemic I only ever clicked the ST page to get rid of it being the only unread page shown.  There were people in there that never posted in the show threads, but dominated conversation in ST.

But ST has changed. The life events shared, the amount of empathy shown and suggestions of resources are great.  It has been a safe place for people to share whatever and even if all a small talk person has to offer is the care emoji, so a poster feels someone heard them, it is done.

• Like 22
10 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I've been meaning to say thanks to those of you who recommended Costco for hearing aids.

You're welcome. I'm so glad that it worked out for your husband (and you). Thanks for letting us know!

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Should we be opening up new threads for the Vuolos and JB&M?

do you know how? I say yes that is what seems to be needed.

I think it"s the mashup name that is the problem with the one and then Boob.

Lolli and Pops would probably be a no go, even though the duggars themselves have used those names.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I opened new threads when new episodes dropped for Bad Batch and it went fine. In the past, when I was a mod, there were some forums where I needed to be in there creating and time locking threads and other forums where posters could do it. It really depended on the show. In this instance, a bland Jinger and Jeremy topic wouldn't seem amiss. Someone created the Josh and Anna thread and that stayed up, so I don't see why not. They should be able to merge the topics so that the old posts could show up. I don't know if the new community managers and moderators know some of the "housekeeping" stuff that can be done. I mean, they could have just renamed the topics and given a brief note about it. It would be easy and way more respectful and kind to the actual posters. I can only assume they don't know how to do that. I don't know. 

• Like 14
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The person who opened the Josh and Anna thread has only been a member since November, with a handful of posts. Given the tone of the post, I think it's a mod or CM. Maybe we should wait for guidance?

• Useful 3

I do not believe the person who opened the Josh & Anna thread is a mod. 

I believe we'd be fine to open new threads as long as the names are respectful, and the commentary stays respectful as well. 

• Fire 1
  • Useful 6
3 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I Just came back from having my taxes done by AARP.  In case  you are unaware, AARP offers free tax preparation for seniors (I think you have to 50 or 55, I don't remember).  You take your tax info and they prepare your taxes while you wait.  It is sponsored by AARP, but you do not have to be an AARP member.  Your taxes are double checked and they give you the form for your payment or refund.  There is a website--AARP Tax services, or something like that, that has locations by state, and then by town.  Here they start taking reservations mid January and start tax preps mid February.  It is appointment only, and the site has the phone number to call.  They have a few restrictions that they will tell you about when you make your appointment.   The slots do fill fast, so you have to make a reservation early.  I know a lot of people don't know about this service, and I hope it helps someone to get ready for next tax season.  There was a lady there this morning that is almost blind, and they were very helpful and kind to her.

I just looked and there are several locations near me. The only problem is looks like the times are during the week. But it is good to keep in mind for next tax season as we already have an appointment. 

• Like 1

Yes, we have AARP prepare our taxes also. We are members and I appreciate this very valuable service. They do a good job.  I'm glad that helpful, friendly information is passed along here on this site. Be well..everyone...

• Like 11

Good Lord, I get having some rules in place so things don't get too crazy, but some of this stuff is just getting to be too much. Sometimes I prefer a free-for-all place as I call it. I've always just thought this is a forum for TV shows. It shouldn't be that serious. But I better shut up. I have three warning points here. Hehe. 

I do love it here and I want to stay. But I have gotten frustrated by some directives. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
59 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Sheets. I need reasonably priced sheets. The ones we love and are replacing no longer exist.

I found flannel sheets on clearance In target for $15. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hey! You’re so sweet to think of me!!

I did have an amazing time on my trip. I learned so much, got to use my French for the first time in ages (I retained more than I thought). However trips like that are go go go- like a work day, up at 6am, tour bus at 7:30am, walking around all day. It was slightly colder than normal which was rougher than I wanted (I brought my coat etc but my fashion dreams were dashed). 

Here’s a PhotoGrid I put together of all the adorable cats and dogs of Morocco. 

DF32CBC6-B8EC-4290-91BC-B9F173E8F67C.jpeg

Safe travels and glad you are enjoying yourself!!! Now please show us what you ate lol. Good food pics are very interesting!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Sheets. I need reasonably priced sheets. The ones we love and are replacing no longer exist.

I researched sheets 3 years ago, and settled on these ones from JC Penney

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/wrinkle-guard-400tc-cotton-sheet-set/ppr5007993758?cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww&pTmplType=regular&cid=affiliate|Skimlinks|13418528|na&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_campaign=13418528&utm_content=na&cjevent=cf95c01cdb4511ee83d203750a82b838

They came highly rated from Wirecutter.  I like them, and they are holding up well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really like my sheets from the Sleep Number store.  They have held up very well, wash well, and are very soft.  They have elastic all around, plus additional elastic straps on the corners, so they stay in place very well.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Safe travels and glad you are enjoying yourself!!! Now please show us what you ate lol. Good food pics are very interesting!

They gave the vegetarians a lot of carrots, zucchini, bread and couscous. My mom would’ve loved the lemon tarte at Rick’s Cafe. 

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0609.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 11

My absolute favorite set of sheets is from Sleep Number.  They had a deal going on when we got our SN bed.  They are so soft, don't warp at the elastic, and never pop off the corners.  My next favorite ones are from Target in their Threshold Performance Sheet Set.  

For those who don't regularly hang out in the Sister Wives topic, Garrison (his mom is Jenelle) passed away at the age of 25, and it looks like a suicide.  He seemed like such a good kid and turned into an awesome young man.  Even though I loathe Kody & Robyn, I feel so bad for the entire family.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 17
16 hours ago, sixlets said:

My absolute favorite set of sheets is from Sleep Number.  They had a deal going on when we got our SN bed.  They are so soft, don't warp at the elastic, and never pop off the corners.  My next favorite ones are from Target in their Threshold Performance Sheet Set.  

For those who don't regularly hang out in the Sister Wives topic, Garrison (his mom is Jenelle) passed away at the age of 25, and it looks like a suicide.  He seemed like such a good kid and turned into an awesome young man.  Even though I loathe Kody & Robyn, I feel so bad for the entire family.

I have enjoyed sheets I’ve purchased at Costco. I enjoy jersey sheets and Target has some very reasonably. Also Marshall’s/TJMaxx has good deals on quality sheets. I bought some Rae Dunn Halloween sheets just for fun and was very displeased, so scratchy!!!!! I will likely donate them a I have no desire to use them again this October. 

Regarding Garrison’s death- My heart hurts for the entire family as well. What a tragedy. I’ve watched the show from the beginning, so I feel like I “know” the kids (who are now mostly adults). What a lovely young man he was, and I know he will be missed by his siblings and parents deeply. If anyone is struggling please know you’re not alone and help is out there. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 10
  • Love 1

In addition to getting an angry reaction emoji, we've lost the rainbow thanks one. The emoji replacing the rainbow one is too little for me to even tell what's going on that makes it a thanks.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 1

under site business they have had a few vote for emojis. 

The grateful emoji replaced the rainbow thanks emoji. It seems maybe both could be useful because thanks and grateful are different.

I would choose the rainbow thanks as response to say a recommendation for sheets, grateful seems a bit much as a response to something like that.

• Like 10
  • Useful 3

Kaylee Hill posted her lemon muffins. Welll I saw lemon/poppyseed muffins in a store. I bought the 4 pack lol. Thanks Kiki Hill lol. Now I need plexus slim from her lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
2 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Kaylee Hill posted her lemon muffins. Welll I saw lemon/poppyseed muffins in a store. I bought the 4 pack lol. Thanks Kiki Hill lol. Now I need plexus slim from her lol.

At least Kaylee's trying. Jill stopped with that years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm curious as to how the angry reaction emoji will be used. Is this a down vote? Or is it a yes, I agree that is maddening? My thought is an angry reaction emoji might upset commenters and rather than promote a healthy discussion, it could lead to misunderstandings.

• Like 19
(edited)

I could see myself using it when I want to commiserate with another poster about something they're going through (and the thing they posted is something that pisses me off because I hate that kind of thing is happening to anyone in the world.)

But on second thought, I guess I'd probably still use the huggy bear emojii. Not sure what I'd feel comfortable using the angry one for.

ps I dislike that they changed the rainbow thank you emojii to a weird little grateful one. JMHO

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 19

Speaking as a bisexual, queer person, I miss the rainbow emoji already - even if, on this site, the rainbow emoji was mostly used to express thanks, not, YAY THIS SHOW IS SO QUEER!

(Uh, not, obviously, Duggar related shows, but something like that one episode of The Last of Us.)

When I've seen that anger emoji used on various Slacks, it's usually been used to express rage at the situation.  For example, someone complaining about an incorrect medical bill, and others in that Slack responding with the anger emoji. I've never seen it used as a down vote - but the Slacks I'm on are all invite-only. I can see it creating potential problems on a site like this one, where anyone can join - especially given the topic.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I feel we should be moved back into the yellow zone as it seems everyone is abiding by the guidelines. You know, kind of like a group badge, an incentive to keep it going.

Any Idea who to contact to see if we can make this happen?

• Like 17

I don't post much if at all in ST, but do read. I am so confused with what's going on. I see I'm not the only one. I hope the whole site doesn't get shut down. So are most people going to Free Jinger or Reddit? I don't use Reddit, because I find it confusing. 

• Like 12
20 minutes ago, Suzn said:

"Badges. Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges."

I was thinking the same thing!

And...with this red light green light business I thought of Squid Game.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

@SunnyBeBe - my goodness, life is complex for sure. I'm so sorry about your friend's situation. I know you'd love to be able to make it all better with the wave of a magic wand. But you're hanging in and being supportive, which is a priceless gift to your friend.

About your weight loss and fitness program - WOWZER. Thanks for sharing that. It's helping inspire and motivate me as I'm dealing with a few relevant things I'd rather not talk a lot about right now. You've clearly put a lot of effort into improving your health, and I applaud you big time for it!!

• Like 9
  • Hugs 7
  • Love 3