Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Y'all ready for the eclipse tomorrow? Our area is in the 90s percentage range so not total, but close. ☀️🌑😎

Yes! I bought eclipse glasses for my mom and I here in Ohio. Can’t wait!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Y'all ready for the eclipse tomorrow? Our area is in the 90s percentage range so not total, but close. ☀️🌑😎

Houston is supposed to be 95% but it looks like it will be cloudy/ raining. Hopefully the weather will clear up around 1 and we will be able to see the eclipse.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
(edited)

I have been watching the school district my grands attend trying to sort this out. It has been entertaining. They started with" solar eclipse 4/8. Please speak to your child/children about the importance of not looking directly at the eclipse. The eclipse will begin during pm recess for the elem students...."

Parents were all "seriously talk to my 5yr old like they understand that?' or "you do realize upper el boys will dare each other and someone will do it" (so true)

Which led to "We will be keeping all elementary students indoors for recess. The eclipse will be occurring during pm dismissal and bus drop offs"

More parent comments mostly of keeping children home or picking up at lunch. Late yesterday it became "Monday 4/8 will be a 1/2 day for all students."

😂

side note to @Notabug  - Boiler Up!

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 12
(edited)

Total eclipse here in the Best Location in the Nation.  Schools are closed because of it.  I got some glasses on Amazon.  However, my employer declined my request to take the afternoon off and actually sent a nastygram to all employees warning about calling in sick and also announcing that anyone caught outside their building  watching the eclipse could be subject to disciplinary action.  I know its a hospital and cannot close, but SHEESH!  There is also  major scarefest here in the media about the impending hordes of out of towners causing massive traffic jams and other mayhem which my employer has seized upon as a reason for everyone to report to work in case of mass casualties.  So, I will be available for any gynecologic injuries caused by looking at the sun.

Meanwhile, my sister works as a project manager for an insurance company,  They have declared a work free zone from 2-4 PM and are grilling in the parking lot, serving beer and inviting employees to ask their families to come.  They even had eclipse glasses made up with their logo.

Totality at 3:13 PM here, lasting around 3 minutes,  Weather mid 60s's which is excellent for us. Rain in the morning clearing by noon, some high clouds.  Best viewing expected to be west of the city, yay me!

The Cleveland Guardians home opener is also tomorrow, first pitch at 5:10.  I will be there.  They had to adjust the time of the game in order to not have to deal with the lights going on and off based on the timing of the eclipse.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 15
  • Hugs 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

side note to @Notabug  - Boiler Up!

Big 10 all the way, baby!  Was rooting for Iowa's women this afternoon but South Carolina is a very worthy champion.  Great player vs great team.  

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3

99% here! They've predicted anywhere from 250,000 to 1,000,000 surging into Arkansas, so I'm not going to try to travel to an area of totality, though it's only about an hour or so away. But I have the day off and eclipse glasses. 😁 They keep wavering on whether or not we'll have clouds. 

• Like 9
30 minutes ago, Notabug said:

So, I will be available for any gynecologic injuries caused by looking at the sun.

LMFAO.

Our last (partial) eclipse was in, I think 2017. Our entire clinic, clients and all, were outside with our glasses and cereal boxes, lol.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

LMFAO.

Our last (partial) eclipse was in, I think 2017. Our entire clinic, clients and all, were outside with our glasses and cereal boxes, lol.

We had 70-something percent totality then, and my entire office I was working at at the time ran out there with eclipse glasses. My brother told me everyone at his shop was out there with welding helmets. LOLOL 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

I’m excited about the eclipse. A neighbor brought me a pair of eclipse glasses. Hope they’re approved.  

I had a deputy come  to my door tonight saying an incomplete cell phone call came from here.  But, there was no such call. I showed him my phone. I hadn’t even used the phone in the preceding hour.  He had no explanation.  Isn’t that odd?  He didn’t check with the neighbors.  How does that happen?  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
45 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Big 10 all the way, baby!  Was rooting for Iowa's women this afternoon but South Carolina is a very worthy champion.  Great player vs great team.  

One of our kids is a Purdue grad so we have all the gear to wear.

I am cheering against preschool grand who has the only bracket left in the family and picked UConn. She picked teams by mascots based on paw patrol. So huskies, bulldogs etc. Her brothers are so miffed she beat them with this strategy 2 years in a row. 😀

• LOL 18
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m excited about the eclipse. A neighbor brought me a pair of eclipse glasses. Hope they’re approved.  

I had a deputy come  to my door tonight saying an incomplete cell phone call came from here.  But, there was no such call. I showed him my phone. I hadn’t even used the phone in the preceding hour.  He had no explanation.  Isn’t that odd?  He didn’t check with the neighbors.  How does that happen?  

A 911 call? They don't show up on cell phones. Safety issue for DV.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

A 911 call? They don't show up on cell phones. Safety issue for DV.

Hmm….well.  I didn’t call. This is a mystery.  

• Like 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, crazy8s said:

One of our kids is a Purdue grad so we have all the gear to wear.

I am cheering against preschool grand who has the only bracket left in the family and picked UConn. She picked teams by mascots based on paw patrol. So huskies, bulldogs etc. Her brothers are so miffed she beat them with this strategy 2 years in a row. 😀

My DH, sons and their wives are all Purdue grads. Oldest son is in Phoenix to cheer the team on. Enjoying every moment! Boiler Up!

Edited by realityfan26
Although he likes his mom, he's enjoying his moment more.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

BOILER UP!!  I'm a Purdue grad and got married on campus.  I love how they are handling all of this.  It warms my heart that they are just plain nice people.  That means everything to me.  And, we are getting an almost 99% eclipse!  What a day ♥

• Like 4
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is year end for us, so not taking whole day off but will go out long enough to view (in southern Illinois, so path of totality). I lived in Nashville for the 2017 one, so fun that I've been in the path twice now.

• Like 9

In Indy and we are in line for total eclipse for a little over a minute...schools are out today..so grands are coming to watch as we sit up on a mini mountain...hubby has to work...but they all have glasses and are going to be out on the building roof...but in case of something Hinky happening he did take a back pack with water and his walking shoes and snacks....however I have a friend with a Son in law -  in a 3 letter agency and he is not on alert ...so hopefully everyone stays safe and whole and out of traffic.....

• Like 8
(edited)
7 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

BOILER UP!!  I'm a Purdue grad and got married on campus.  I love how they are handling all of this.  It warms my heart that they are just plain nice people.  That means everything to me.  And, we are getting an almost 99% eclipse!  What a day ♥

Now I am thinking I wish I had some xxx rootbeer.... the peanut butter burger, not so much. 😂

@realityfan26

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

Did you see that Loral O'Hara, a Purdue grad astronaut, returned from the International Space Station on Saturday? There's a whole cosmic thing going on with Purdue right now! 😂

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

We had about 4 minutes of totality. The picture isn't great, the corona appeared much smaller to the eye. This is about 2pm CST. Wish there was a way to capture the quality of the light, it defies description. Was almost dead silent in our little town except for a few people cheering and one set of fireworks.image.png.9766e2ee93aa1bc3e420427967adb1e8.png

• Like 14
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

It was insignificant here. I didn’t have glasses so I stayed indoors. No one at my job even left the building so I figured it was a bust. 

I was indoors too.  Had our blinds up though annd  although I knew we were only in the 90 some %, I was really disappointed by how much sunshine and light of day there was.   You’d have thought it was a normal day.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Has anyone bought a new car lately?  I’m researching. Looking for sporty, fun, reliable and not too small SUV.  A good friend swears by her Subaru Cross Trek.  It looks good. Idk.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone bought a new car lately?  I’m researching. Looking for sporty, fun, reliable and not too small SUV.  A good friend swears by her Subaru Cross Trek.  It looks good. Idk.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

i have a larger suburu and love it!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll vouch for a  Subaru Crosstrek. Great cars.

• Like 1
(edited)

Thanks you guys.  I’m reading mainly positive things about Crosstrek. I’m looking at the Wilderness and Limited.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
(edited)

I also have a CrossTrek - 5yrs old and never had any problems with it. It is a tight fit if you need 3 car seats though. (Thankfully we only ever need 2 now.)

My son has a steep driveway to get out. Last winter it was total ice, both of their vehicles could not get out but my crosstrek had no problem.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

although I knew we were only in the 90 some %, I was really disappointed by how much sunshine and light of day there was.   You’d have thought it was a normal day.  

Same here. I'm less than an hour outside of totality, was expecting a nice show, and was disappointed. It barely got dark at all. Even the birds didn't seem upset! I hate to trash talk Mother Nature, but was expecting better 🙃

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I am still driving a 2011 Subaru Outback, no problems. I am wanting to get a new car but am wanting a hybrid or electric. I wish the Outback came in a hybrid. 

The eclipse was awesome here in the Columbus, Ohio area. I was going to ignore it but glad I didn't.  Not just visuals but lots of feels.

• Like 6

Here in the zone of totality, it actually got dark, street lights came on, etc.  The total darkness only lasted a few minutes but the temperature outdoors dropped about 10 degrees over around half an hour as totality approached and resolved,  Very cool

• Like 14
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

We love our new Hyundai 2024 Kona limited. Got the red one!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

we bought a corolla cross....my daughter has a cross trek...I like ours better...smaller than our Honda CRV....so far it's done great...

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dimi1 said:

we bought a corolla cross....my daughter has a cross trek...I like ours better...smaller than our Honda CRV....so far it's done great...

The Corolla Cross looks really nice!  I might test drive it.  My boyfriend in college had a Corolla station wagon and I drove it a lot.  Then I had a Celica in the late 90’s and loved it.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Love2dance said:

We love our new Hyundai 2024 Kona limited. Got the red one!

I had decided on a Kona, but got distracted.  I’ll give it another look.  My last 3 cars have been red! Lol. 

• Like 1

In the path of totality, about 3 mins. Was super cloudy in the morning and during the partial portion of it was through clouds. But the skies got clearer and clearer during the last 15 mins so it was pretty clear at totality. During the lead up, I thought it was very impressive as well. Just watching the progress as the moon made it's way across. I would have been happy with just the partial. Totality was amazing but the entirety of the process was so cool. We had family/friends over in our backyard and we could hear neighbors out, too. Sadly one of the party was (is) sick (autocorrect won't let me write ILL wtf?) and he is an amateur photographer. He had all this equipment and filters and felt so sick and feverish he came out just before, during, and just after totality. I felt so bad. 

17 hours ago, Turquoise said:

Wish there was a way to capture the quality of the light, it defies description

The 5-10 mins leading up to totality, the light was so surreal. I described it as looking through sunglasses but that's not it. And I didn't even try to capture it though I did take a quick video of the environment during totality because it was so cool seeing a 360 "sunrise". 

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

The 5-10 mins leading up to totality, the light was so surreal. I described it as looking through sunglasses but that's not it. And I didn't even try to capture it though I did take a quick video of the environment during totality because it was so cool seeing a 360 "sunrise". 

The light both before and after was almost eerie.  Sort of like twilight, but not. The whole thing was spectacular.

• Like 9
(edited)
6 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

In the path of totality, about 3 mins. Was super cloudy in the morning and during the partial portion of it was through clouds. But the skies got clearer and clearer during the last 15 mins so it was pretty clear at totality. During the lead up, I thought it was very impressive as well. Just watching the progress as the moon made it's way across. I would have been happy with just the partial. Totality was amazing but the entirety of the process was so cool. We had family/friends over in our backyard and we could hear neighbors out, too. Sadly one of the party was (is) sick (autocorrect won't let me write ILL wtf?) and he is an amateur photographer. He had all this equipment and filters and felt so sick and feverish he came out just before, during, and just after totality. I felt so bad. 

My phone will not let me write I’ll (ill) either. See lol.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • LOL 2

ill (just wanted to see if I could…when it tried to add an apostrophe for I’ll I just hit the spelling option I wanted. That or its used to me making lots of errors lol) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

ill (just wanted to see if I could…when it tried to add an apostrophe for I’ll I just hit the spelling option I wanted. That or its used to me making lots of errors lol) 

How are you? I remember you lost your furry pal recently. How is the other kitty doing? 

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

How are you? I remember you lost your furry pal recently. How is the other kitty doing? 

I’m starting to come out of my funk. Over 20 years is a long time to have a cat. I especially miss him when I watch ice hockey as he used to view it with me with his head in my lap so I could rub him behind his ears. 

She is coping well. She watched half of his letting go so she understood what happened and isn’t searching the house for him. She does stay close to me and doesn’t like eating alone. She always checks to her left where he used to eat. Gratefully her health is good, but she’s going for a check up at the end of next week. Thank you for asking. Your kindness is appreciated. 

• Hugs 23

I remember when some friends had a bonded pair. They had to put one down and worried how the other would react. The vet said that the remaining cat often does fine as a solo kitty. And theirs did. I think it helped, @Mindthinkr that your remaining cat was aware of the other one's struggles. The fact that you're still there probably helps her adjust to the new reality! I know you must miss him a lot. It is so difficult to lose a dear animal friend. Hugs!

• Like 6
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

The light both before and after was almost eerie.  Sort of like twilight, but not. The whole thing was spectacular.

It was so freaky, especially as the temperature dropped so suddenly!

2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

My phone will not let me write I’ll (ill) either. See lol.

I always have to make sure to correct mine when trying to write that word. Such a pain. 

32 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I remember when some friends had a bonded pair. They had to put one down and worried how the other would react. The vet said that the remaining cat often does fine as a solo kitty. And theirs did. I think it helped, @Mindthinkr that your remaining cat was aware of the other one's struggles. The fact that you're still there probably helps her adjust to the new reality! I know you must miss him a lot. It is so difficult to lose a dear animal friend. Hugs!

My first 2 cats were a pair, the last 2 of the litter. They did everything together, and even groomed one another. Sadly, one died at about 7 years old from kidney failure, but the other did do ok and lived for 18 years. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2