Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

My screen name was born in a TWoP chat thread. Posters were bemoaning the site closing and also losing their post counts. So when I signed up here I just decided to bring my post counts with me.

I share a birthday with RHoNYC SonJa Morgan. I only mention it here because the level of delusion is similar to Michelle's and they both are committed to the big "J".

The big difference, of course, is that Sonja uses a "sexy J".  Mechelle's Js are not so sexy.  

Preppy style was big when I was in school.  I tended more toward punk or just plain poor.  I picked up the nickname Muffyn as a joke.  All of my roommates had preppy nicknames only because we got stoned one night and found it funny.  Later I wrote an opinion/gossip column for the school paper as Muffyn VanDerHeyDen.  Someone beat me to the vanity plates for California.  Damn other Muffyn!  I wanted the plates for my Norton. 

• Love 6

Aw. My favorite ever cat, who lived with me for thirteen years, was a tortoiseshell Pyewacket.

Psych! One of my great-grandfathers, whom I don't remember because he died when I was 3, named his summer place at Eastham on Cape Cod "Pyewacket" - which until a few years ago I thought was based on Bell, Book & Candle too. But actually stems from some relatively well-known English ghost story [Great Grandpa's family came from Cornwall on the English coast]. PS - from the pages of Duh! magazine: If I had crunched the numbers, maybe it would have dawned on me that the movie couldn't have been Grandpa's inspiration - it came out the same year he died.  

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 6

The big difference, of course, is that Sonja uses a "sexy J".  Mechelle's Js are not so sexy.  

Preppy style was big when I was in school.  I tended more toward punk or just plain poor.  I picked up the nickname Muffyn as a joke.  All of my roommates had preppy nicknames only because we got stoned one night and found it funny.  Later I wrote an opinion/gossip column for the school paper as Muffyn VanDerHeyDen.  Someone beat me to the vanity plates for California.  Damn other Muffyn!  I wanted the plates for my Norton. 

Ha! I purposely said big J and not sexy because I just couldn't go there with Michelle...

• Love 2

My slightly older brother called me Cricket when we were young , and everyone else started doing it too. Nobody ever knew why he decided to call me that, as it's nowhere close to my given name. The Chi part is because I'm from the Chicago area.

• Love 8
My name is the name of a character from my favorite novel. If I could change it, I'd consider making it Jordyn-Grace Baker, after one of my favorite Duggars.

Do you mean Jordyn-Grace Makiya Baker?

• Love 5

I had an ex who always picked on me in an attempt to get me to "better myself" aka look and act like she wanted.

She made a huge poster once of all sorts of slogans that were supposed to be inspirational, and one of them was telling me to question my fears. I liked cramming them together, plus I think it annoyed her that I took it as a joke.

It's sort of unique, and I use it for everything, and at this point I've thoroughly reclaimed it as my own image.

• Love 8

My screen name comes from my boyfriend's dad (heavy Mass accent similar to Peter Griffin) who can't pronounce Jiu Jitsu. He pronounces it as 'Joe-Jitsu'. He makes it sound like Joe Jitsu is an actual person which cracks me up. The '913' is my birthdate.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 6

I feel like I'm at a "I share a birthday with Michelle" anonymous meeting!  I have many of the Virgo qualities.  I wonder what Michelle was like when she was young, other than her cheer leading, and if this cult has beaten the best part of her down.

Other Sept 13-ers - Tavis Smiley, Tyler Perry, Milton Hershey, Roald Dahl, Stella McCartney. There were lots of other names, but I only listed the people I recognized. I'm old. LOL Hope you ALL had a great day...

• Love 6

My name:  first got into Project Runway in season 12.  Never touched Duggardom until Joshgate1 and never watched the show.  Most of my media fandoms I adopt after they become closed canon.  It's a bit of a pattern.  :)

I'm a Twin Cities Leo who grew up in Detroit.

• Love 6

My screen name comes from my boyfriend's dad (heavy Mass accent similar to Peter Griffin) who can't pronounce Jiu Jitsu. He pronounces it as 'Joe-Jitsu'. He makes it sound like Joe Jitsu is an actual person which cracks me up. The '913' is my birthdate.

Happy day after your birthday, Joejitsu913.

I am from San Francisco and think zodiac signs are a form of mass delusion many people choose to participate in.  

• Love 4

In the Dillards thread, some posters were talking about their first CPR training. I was 9, because we had a pool in our backyard and my parents wanted me to know the basics just in case. My mom (who had been a lifeguard when she was younger) even taught me basic lifeguarding. For a 9 year old that was throwing a life ring, using a towel or pool noodle to reach someone and running for help. =) I ended up becoming a lifeguard for my late teens and early twenties. I enjoyed it then, but now I think the responsibility would scare me too much. 

• Love 1

I love reading about everyone's screen names! My name is because I tend to talk a lot. It's a running joke in my family & my mostly ex-bf, who is a man of few words, is baffled by my ability to ramble. For no other reason than peer pressure (j/k) I'll throw it out there that I'm a Libra. However I have no idea what that means & don't pay much attention to that stuff. I live in AR where it truly is pretty easy to six degree yourself to knowing each other with a lot of the state.

ETA: I was 15 when I did CPR training as a part of my lifeguard training. I used to be a water baby. I miss it!

Edited by ramble
  • Love 6

I'm a pisces.  Name pretty explanatory (I'm Mick), southern Ca, always have had dogs.  Terrier types until I moved to Sacramento for about 20 yrs where I promptly got farmer's border collies and trained them and entered in herding contests and everything else.  I had someplace to go every weekend.  No kidding, I move to a place where I don't know anybody and was the most occupied on weekends according to water cooler thought.  Also go miniature australian shepherds, amazing dogs.  Great at agility, frisbee, flyball, herding, you name it.  The last BC died last year and I'm still heartbroken.  Have one aussie left.  Great guy, but doesn't care to work.  Likes to play at agility and best personality ever with people and dogs.  Really has a great rep.  And photographers took pictures to enter in various contests, he's that pretty.  I am back in So Ca now.  I seem to only like dog people

• Love 6

I chose my username because I am a tabby magnet. I like cats, and I think tabbies are especially cool with gorgeous markings. And it's like they know. I have had three different ones decide to live in my yard - cats that actually belong to other homes. It is a little weird. Our back deck is known as Stripehaven.

The 521 is because, like Al Franken, Mr T, and Jeffrey Dahmer, my birthday is May 21.

ETA: LOL at Micks Picks; we were posting at the same time. I guess we can never be friends?

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5