Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

We have this owl that lives in the woods behind our house. He is a BEAST, that guy! One night about 2:00am, I came out with the dog and heard that guy KILL something in our back yard. There was a startled noise, like a surprise attack, and then a bunch of cries, and I actually could HEAR (and picture) when the owl got [the crow] by the throat. It was like hearing a murder above my head!!! 

I'm a backyard birder and I love hearing our local owls "whoo" and "owl flirt" back and forth each night. I was even considering putting up an "owl box" in the hopes of encouraging them to nest in our trees. But your tale of "CSI Crow," HFC, has me seriously rethinking this plan. I want a Harry Potter owl, not a murderous "BEAST." So maybe I'll just stick to bird seed and suet since I don't want to listen to an owl drive-by. 

• Love 6

Ah, backmasking. The brilliant thing about that is if you write words down, you are being suggested that that's what they're saying, so of course that's what you're going to hear. The human brain is very easily persuaded by the power of suggestion. ELO, of all bands, got in trouble for supposedly backmasking Satanic messages in the song "Eldorado Overture" off of their "Eldorado" album. Yes, that ELO, who has the awesome and adorable songs like "Mr. Blue Sky" and "Bluebird is Dead." Well, as a joke, Jeff Lynne actually did put backmasked lyrics on the first track of his next album, the song "Fire on High" from "Face the Music" as a joke. The lyrics? "Turn back! Turn Back! Turn Back! The music is reversible but time is not!"

• Love 2

I live in a neighborhood near a lake and we all have massive, super old trees in our yards. I've got a medium sized owl in one of my pecan trees and my neighbor has a red hawk. Luckily, my dog is big and we have no issues with either birds viewing her as a meal. I think those two are also the reason we have no mice or rats at my house.

• Love 3

I live in a neighborhood near a lake and we all have massive, super old trees in our yards. I've got a medium sized owl in one of my pecan trees and my neighbor has a red hawk. Luckily, my dog is big and we have no issues with either birds viewing her as a meal. I think those two are also the reason we have no mice or rats at my house.

i too live near water - our "biggish" neighborhood lake is behind the houses directly in front of me, and behind me is a smaller lake on private property. With lots of woods. We grow murderous monsters. Itty bitty ones too; the hummingbirds have started trying to "buck up" for the journey south and they are little Kamikasi warriors, I'm saying. They have been scrapping at the feeder for about 3 days. As many as 10 at a time out here fighting. MEAN, I'm saying!!! I'd just about put one of these little guys up to fight off an owl!!!
  • Love 4

I hate shoe shopping. Even online. I remember years ago when I was pregnant with my now 9 year old daughter and my feet got bigger and I had to get new shoes. I posted on TWoP that I was not looking forward to it. And someone said well isn't it better than maternity clothes shopping. And another pregnant lady said, "Not really, since we can't see our feet." (There were three of us in the Star Trek forum that were pregnant and one of the lovely posters knitted each of our babies a sweater with the Enterprise and there was a card chain sent around for people to sign. I still have both and we made our own little group on Facecbook. Love internet communities.)

• Love 14

Thanks for your kind words this morning, Happy, about my comment on flowers blooming in the rubble. I didn't specifically quote anyone, it's just an idea that I try to remember. We visited Yellowstone in the late 1980's just a year or so after a big fire. In so many places that were just deeply and thoroughly burned, if you walked through them you'd see that green plants were already growing up through the brown and black stuff. Even a few little wildflowers.

This is a Noel Coward song about Saxifraga × urbium (also known as London Pride, or less romantically, St. Patrick's Cabbage), which is a flower that grew in the ashes of the London blitz. What you wrote made me think of it.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

So tomorrow I have to have a breast MRI. I was supposed to do it last month but I freaked out (claustrophobic). And my veins fail at IV insertions. So today the dr gave me two lorazepam, one to take tonight to try it out and one for tomorrow before the MRI. I freak out on sedatives (I did a colonoscopy cold sober) but I think this pill is the only way for me to do it. I was told this is not a sedative but I'm still freaking out about taking this pill! Ugh. The clock is ticking.

• Love 8

Readalot - doesn't sound fun. Maybe the meds will do what they are supposed to. Mr Lookeyloo had a panic attack in the MRI and next time he wore an eye mask and didn't have any problems. I think I also may have given him one of my precious and hard to come by Xanax. And by this time tomorrow it will be over.

• Love 2

Readalot - doesn't sound fun. Maybe the meds will do what they are supposed to. Mr Lookeyloo had a panic attack in the MRI and next time he wore an eye mask and didn't have any problems. I think I also may have given him one of my precious and hard to come by Xanax. And by this time tomorrow it will be over.

thank you for your encouragement! I use that same coping mechanism myself and with my kids. "Just think, in ten minutes we will be out of here". I will ask for an eye mask. Last month I was in the tube for one minute. It's so uncomfortable! It's face down and your chest is on this little ramp and they put your boobs in these boxes. It hurts your ribcage and it's hard to breath and its a 45 min test. - Xanax is the same class as this pill but I am not sure if I have had this or not in IV form when I had a D&C after I miscarried my twins. That was the first time I freaked out. I also freak out on nitro during root canals. I HATE not being in control of my mind and body so it makes me panic! I'm thinking of not taking the pill and just try mind over matter. Lasy year My friend had a clean mammo and then a breast MRI and they found cancer! The MRI saved her life. My bff of 30 years is battling Stage 3 Breast Cancer this very minute. My maternal cousin found out last month she has BC and my paternal aunt died in her 40's from BC. I keep thinking that if I concentrate on the preventative I CAN DO IT! WITHOUT MEDS!
  • Love 5

Readalot I had breast cancer 7 years ago ( with all the indignities that go along with that)so I sympathize. Please report back and let us know how the MRI went. If you can just close your eyes (love that idea Lookyloo) and let your mind go somewhere else it really helps. Let your body be there but your mind wander if you can. My fear of the MR

I was much worse then the reality. Good luck and sweat dreams .

• Love 3

Oh Lorazapam  ( aka Ativan) is the good stuff Readsalot.  I knew someone who referred to it as a  "chemical vacation" I have another friend who takes it at night when she is due to get her period. PMS sets off her anxiety and insomnia something fierce.   She barely drinks wine, but that pill  makes her a much happier person. Doing it with out drugs is fine, but actually getting it done is more important right?  Take the one tonight and see how you do, maybe?  And Yeah I would definitely

work on your list of pleasant day dreams for tomorrow.  Take good care of yourself.

• Love 3

Readsalot, do ask for an eye mask (you can buy one in the travel section of any drug store if you're worried the medical facility won't have one - or you can ask the facility for a towel if all else fails). I can't recall if they allow metal in there with you, but just in case, take some headphones. At the very least, you can use the music to relax up until the actual procedure, which is pretty loud. I have a bit of claustrophobia, so when I go in for MRI's I do big time Lorazepam (it makes you relaxed, but shouldn't put you to sleep and I have never had the experience of feeling out of control),.

I think the key to relaxing is going to your "happy place." Take time now to figure out what that is for you. (FWIW, my "happy place" is not really a place, but the state of imagining my two retrievers' big heads warm and fuzzy against either side of my face.) I know the experience with your friend and her MRI is unsettling, but I have dense, fibrocystic breasts and ended up having 2 large, palpable lumps removed, neither of which were anything but benign. This will be over before you even know it. Sending love and light your way.

• Love 3

Thanks friends for your support. It means the world to me. (I didn't want to discuss with BFF, I don't want her thinking "what if I had a MRI would I have caught my BC in time?") I just took the pill, let's see what happens! Let's hope I don't turn into Bitchelle!

• Love 5

Readalot, I used Ativan/Lorazepan for my MRIs two years ago and was successful.  I had a fractured cervical vertebrae so I got to enjoy the experience of lying on the hard plastic and having my head in a plastic cage.  I made it through without incident.  They also kept the room a little cool and kept a fan blowing so I would feel "fresh" air on my face.  

I need another MRI and failed this time.  I was prescribed valium and it messed me up.  I became severely agitated and had very violent thoughts that I fortunately did not act on (so close, so very, very close, snotty entitled man in the Whole Foods parking lot).  I tried again without drugs and could not do it, but that was partly due to being in extreme pain when put into the head cage and having a really insensitive technician.  

If the lorazepam makes you tense or agitated, my pharmacist suggested trying something else that makes me sluggish, so muscle relaxers or even benadryl.  But if you take the lorazepam, don't add anything to it.  

Good luck.  A little time in a tube is all you need.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 1

So tomorrow I have to have a breast MRI. I was supposed to do it last month but I freaked out (claustrophobic). And my veins fail at IV insertions. So today the dr gave me two lorazepam, one to take tonight to try it out and one for tomorrow before the MRI. I freak out on sedatives (I did a colonoscopy cold sober) but I think this pill is the only way for me to do it. I was told this is not a sedative but I'm still freaking out about taking this pill! Ugh. The clock is ticking.

You did a colonoscopy cold sober?!  You are my hero!  I just had a routine one last week and NOTHING could make me have that procedure unless I was out.  You will be fine.  If they allow headphones, wear them and listen to your favorite music or even a book on tape.  Bless you, sweetie!

• Love 2

I love London as well (as cities go...I'm far happier out in the country). I just spent a month in England (well, this past April) visiting cousins. I was actually born there but came to the USA with my parents in 1969 when I was nine. It seems I get over there way too seldom, especially given that one of my cousins had died suddenly and unexpectedly a few weeks before I arrived (the trip had already been planned and booked), and now another cousin has just been diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer...

You did a colonoscopy cold sober?! You are my hero! I just had a routine one last week and NOTHING could make me have that procedure unless I was out. You will be fine. If they allow headphones, wear them and listen to your favorite music or even a book on tape. Bless you, sweetie!

yup cold sober. They still put in the IV in case they needed to remove polyps. It wasn't that bad. - so guess what. I took the pill and nothing happened! I stay up for three hours after taking the pill and I was the same. My hubby and daughter confirmed it. But I did feel a little drowsy this morning. Four more hours to go!

Readalot, I used Ativan/Lorazepan for my MRIs two years ago and was successful. I had a fractured cervical vertebrae so I got to enjoy the experience of lying on the hard plastic and having my head in a plastic cage. I made it through without incident. They also kept the room a little cool and kept a fan blowing so I would feel "fresh" air on my face.

I need another MRI and failed this time. I was prescribed valium and it messed me up. I became severely agitated and had very violent thoughts that I fortunately did not act on (so close, so very, very close, snotty entitled man in the Whole Foods parking lot). I tried again without drugs and could not do it, but that was partly due to being in extreme pain when put into the head cage and having a really insensitive technician.

If the lorazepam makes you tense or agitated, my pharmacist suggested trying something else that makes me sluggish, so muscle relaxers or even benadryl. But if you take the lorazepam, don't add anything to it.

Good luck. A little time in a tube is all you need.

thank you. Whatever they put in my IV made me agitated. Nitro makes me hyper aware and very emotional. Benadryl does knock me out though.

Readalot, you will be fine. The meds will be relaxing, you will zone out in your own world, and it will be done in 10 min. The hard part is anticipation. But you can do anything, absolutely anything. Relax, my love.

. ((Hugs)) that's right damn it, I'm a reader and I can do anything! <superhero pose>
  • Love 1

READALOT, sending you hugs and relaxing beautiful thoughts and images. Lorazepam does wonders for me when getting on an airplane (with no bad side effects). I am sure it can help you tomorrow, too!

thanks for mentioning this! I'm flying soon I might have to try this if I can figure out how this med is working for me. since I didn't feel any different last night but drowsy this morning I'm wondering if this is another class of meds that I don't metabolize well. All anestesthia (sp) takes about 3 times as long to take affect. Which means during surgery they give me more than usual and I'm numb or out of it forever lol.
  • Love 1

Readalot - good luck with the MRI, it sounds like if you have any Benadryl around, that might be the way to go for you since the Ativan didn't seem to do anything.  I have a prn script for it for anxiety - it's been a life saver for me over the years.  Hugs. ♥

• Love 3

Readalot, I hope things went well! I'm very claustrophobic and had to have an MRI once (and several thyroid tests where you're in a confined space, too) and I was an idiot and forced myself through it with no meds. When it was over and the table was moving out of the tube, I was undoing the straps myself and practically climbing out of the tube. I then paced the room for about 5 minutes, trying to calm down. The tech thought I was nuts.

• Love 2

Readalot we are waiting for your report back. I hope things went well and you found your happy place. And speaking of a happy place, I think I have found my my tribe right here. I love London , golden retrievers, books and most of all Ativan! I hate flying, anesthia and being told what to think. You all feel like comfy slippers to me.

• Love 5

Benzodiazepines are very very safe drugs. It's practically impossible to overdose on them. They come in basically two types, anxiolytics and hypnotics, the first type make you relaxed, and the second make you sleepy. I don't think MRI machines spin, but if they did like ct scanners, and if the thing broke apart (which it won't, these things are seriously worth more than your life), the pieces would fly away from the centre where your body is due to centrifugal forces. The noise is due to electromagnets, and the size is for the cooling apparatus.

• Love 2

Benzodiazepines are very very safe drugs. It's practically impossible to overdose on them. They come in basically two types, anxiolytics and hypnotics, the first type make you relaxed, and the second make you sleepy. I don't think MRI machines spin, but if they did like ct scanners, and if the thing broke apart (which it won't, these things are seriously worth more than your life), the pieces would fly away from the centre where your body is due to centrifugal forces. The noise is due to electromagnets, and the size is for the cooling apparatus.

. Thank you for the reassurances, safety is good. I took the pill about an 30 mins ago, not feeling anything yet. So they slide me in in one hour! Can't wait lol.
  • Love 4

Suzatlarge, guuuuurl, that's TWICE this week you tugged my heart strings and made me tear up. I've never heard that song, and how BEAUTIFULLY done, oh my gosh. It's such a sad melody, although the lyrics are hopeful. Wow.

Readalot, hopefully by the time you read this, you're home and survived your tests. I'm very claustrophobic as well, but have only had the MRI that was a half tube.

You know that part of life when you're young and in good health, and you watch with amazement when your parents take a fistful of pills every night - and you think, "wow. I'm never gonna be like that"? Turns out Karma really IS a bitch. And, there you go folks, we've all turned into our mothers. Writing this with a grin, because Lord knows I've got my own little lineup in the cabinet. If a stranger read this thread, they'd be thinking we were a bunch of neurotic old farts.

I take something every day for anxiety/depression called Venlofaxine or something close. It costs a Big fat chunk of change every month, but has been the only thing that levels me out. I honestly don't need the anxiety meds (I don't think!) but if I'm off my depression meds for a couple days, I make everybody crazy. I cry because the toilet paper is out. (Not in the whole house, mind you - just on my current role). I HATE myself when this happens. And the reason I'm talking about it is because I saw all the posts about Ativan. Is this a maintenance drug for some people? I thought it was addictive. But here's the thing - I'm GOING to take something for depression every day, so does it MATTER if it's addictive? I guess I just don't want to take something that IS addictive because if I ever had to come off for some reason, I don't want withdrawals. Thoughts? Not just about Ativan, but any antidepressant that seems to work well? Lexipro is out, and Welbutrin makes me want to kill people. Venlofaxine is an old drug, but it seems to work well enough. Insurance Covers only a small part of it - even though my whole family calls it my "Don't Kill Sonny" pill. (Sonny being the hubster).

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 5

. Thank you for the reassurances, safety is good. I took the pill about an 30 mins ago, not feeling anything yet. So they slide me in in one hour! Can't wait lol.

think of it this way, if you can lay face down on your pillow, you can deal with a giant donut shaped super expensive and rock solid machine being around you. There's no radiation from MRIs, just a lot of noise from the electromagnets. Enjoy the benzo ride.

Benzo's are safe if taken as directed and for a short time.    There are many side effects when taken long term that can effect daily life, not to mention a person would have to increase the dosage over time.    

Benzo's are very easily dangerous as they are highly addictive and you can most definitely can overdose on them.   Taken in conjunction with an opiate is one of the most frequent overdoses that end in death.

Withdrawal from this family of drugs is said to be worse than a heroin withdrawal.     

Venlafaxine should be available in America as a generic under the names "Co Venlafaxine XR (Cobalt Pharmaceuticals Inc.), Gen-Venlafaxine XR (Genpharm), Riva-Venlafaxine XR (Laboratoire Riva Inc.), Novo Venlafaxine XR (Novopharm Limited), PMS-Venlafaxine XR (Pharmascience Inc.), Ratio-Venlafaxine XR (ratiopharm)". How much are you paying for a months supply of Venlafaxine?

Venlafaxine is very safe, it had weird withdrawal effects for me though, don't forget to take your doses on time.

Venlafaxine (Effexor) and Lexapro (escitalopram) at legit antidepressants that work after 2-6 weeks, and long term, and are very safe.

Ativan (lorazepam) is a benzodiazapene like Valium and Xanax and serepax, they are effective from the first use but lose effectiveness due to tolerance from your body in like two weeks, so not so good long term.

Benzo's are safe if taken as directed and for a short time.    There are many side effects when taken long term that can effect daily life, not to mention a person would have to increase the dosage over time.    

Benzo's are very easily dangerous as they are highly addictive and you can most definitely can overdose on them.   Taken in conjunction with an opiate is one of the most frequent overdoses that end in death.

Withdrawal from this family of drugs is said to be worse than a heroin withdrawal.

Barbiturates are what were used before benzodiazapenes, and even taken alone, they killed Lupe Velez, Pier Angeli, Judy Garland etc. A benzo overdose alone, at most, results in the patient sleeping until the drug has worn off, maybe some respiration assistance will be required.

*sneaking in* My withdrawal from Effexor was one of the strangest, most challenging experiences of my life & I did a super slow step down. I do occasionally use Klonopin, a benzodiazepine, to help me sleep if I've had multiple sleepless nights in a row. I can't use it too often because I become the resistant to it quickly & have to increase the dosage. Unfortunately, the standard prescription sleep meds make me nauseous. *sneaking back out* (But not without leaving cyber hugs & real life prayers.)

• Love 7

*sneaking in* My withdrawal from Effexor was one of the strangest, most challenging experiences of my life & I did a super slow step down. I do occasionally use Klonopin, a benzodiazepine, to help me sleep if I've had multiple sleepless nights in a row. I can't use it too often because I become the resistant to it quickly & have to increase the dosage. Unfortunately, the standard prescription sleep meds make me nauseous. *sneaking back out* (But not without leaving cyber hugs & real life prayers.)

The brain zaps were nasty. I had to taper off by opening up the capsule and tip a little more of the extended release beads down the sink each each day.

The first time I took ambien, was super strange. Like the space time continuum had changed.

• Love 1

Kokapetl, only about $100 a month. It's not terrible, considering others who have to shell out a whole lot more for actual life-saving drugs. I also take a BP med with a diuretic and another straight diuretic. Potassium and my friend, ambien. Everything else combined is $4. I probably wouldn't care at all to pay it except the others are so cheap. Just - every now and again, I get on a mission to find something less pricey. I guess I shouldn't mess with it if it works, right?

I don't think my insurance covers anything XR.

Thinking warm wavy happy thoughts to Readalot. (Like the movies they would show the old people on Solent Green - except she won't become food later!)

• Love 1

I didn't think any non extended release (xr) versions of venlafaxine were sold, it has a very short half life and nasty withdrawal symptoms. Um, are you able to move to Canada or something? are you able to travel to Canada or even Mexico for prescriptions? The full price you'd pay there would be cheaper than the $100 you pay in America.

Edited by Kokapetl

My primary doctor put me on a blood pressure med for anxiety symptoms, but I was told not to take it for two days before my stress test. I was told to be careful  over the counter medications I take because they can interfere with my blood pressure and/or thyroid. The last time I took Actifed, my blood pressure shot up so fast to the point I was shaking, my heart was pounding, and I felt I was floating around the room. Talk about scary.

Whatever they put in my IV made me agitated. Nitro makes me hyper aware and very emotional. Benadryl does knock me out though.

. ((Hugs)) that's right damn it, I'm a reader and I can do anything! <superhero pose>

I want to cal out something Readalot is saying in this post and in her initial post regrading taking Ativan.  She previously had adverse reactions to medications that are meant to be calming.  I know everyone was trying to be helpful by saying that it wouldn't be an issue, but for the 1 in 100,000 person who has a severe adverse reaction, there is always need for concern when given a  similar medication, no matter how well it works for the 99,999.  When you have these bad reactions, it can be very hard to get the help you need even from medical professionals because of a mistaken belief of if it works this way for me it will work this way for everyone.  Fortunately, she did not have a bad reaction to Ativan, but she could have.  Also fortunately she has a doctor who listened carefully to her concerns and had her try the med before the MRI so she would know if it would help or hurt.  You don't want to be in the MRI when psychosis hits.  

As has been stated Ativan and like medicines are now most typically given for short term usage only.  So, two pills for an MRI, CT scan or colonoscopy.  Unless you are a person with an adverse reaction, these drugs relax you and reduce anxiety. 

For long term usage, there are better, more broad ranging anti-anxiety meds.  However, as with all drugs and with these types of drugs more so, people's reactions can differ.  That is why doctors often end up prescribing different drugs until they find one that helps that individual.  

I want to give you all some better understanding of adverse reactions to meds.  these are all from my personal experience:

Valium that made me severely agitated and potentially violent; negative effects lasted more than 24 hours.  It also altered my vision.  Once I realized what was happening I basically locked myself into my house for two days until I knew I was okay.  

Cipro that caused hallucinations and the sense that my arms were not attached to my body/were someone else's.  Of course, I let someone else's arms do the dishes.  Seemed like a good plan at the time.  The ER doc argued that I could not be hallucinating because I was able to speak with him.  Not quite sure how hallucinations are supposed to remove the ability to speak. 

Benadryl keeps me up for at least 18 hours and makes me really edgy.  You wouldn't want to chat with me on Benadryl.  You would not walk out without wounds. 

Sudaphed that makes other people alert makes me pass out.  My roommates found my well-wrinkled body on the floor of the shower.  I'd been in there for at least an hour so I was one big prune with a bloody nose.  Extra points to the roommate who found me first for throwing a towel over me before calling in the gang to help.  I've never felt more sexy.  

I'm only mentioning the meds you are likely to be familiar with.  I have many an odd story i could share. 

The key point to this is that some people do have severe adverse reactions and, if the say they do, believe them.  The good news for Readalot was she did not have a bad reaction to the test dose, so she's good to go.  As with all of you, here's hoping to a good MRI with no problems found.  

• Love 6

My primary doctor put me on a blood pressure med for anxiety symptoms, but I was told not to take it for two days before my stress test. I was told to be careful  over the counter medications I take because they can interfere with my blood pressure and/or thyroid. The last time I took Actifed, my blood pressure shot up so fast to the point I was shaking, my heart was pounding, and I felt I was floating around the room. Talk about scary.

Sorry to butt in, but they're sure you don't have a thyroid issue? I have Grave's Disease and your current symptoms sound a lot like mine did when I was first diagnosed. Heart rate (resting) of 150, elevated blood pressure, extreme anxiety, couldn't even drink a cup of coffee without feeling like I was going to go sailing off the world. Scary stuff. 

I hope they find the answers and can get your health straightened out. I'll be thinking about you.

• Love 3

Venlaxafine, generic for Effexor can be really hard to come off of, so in a way HFC you are physically addicted to it - the brain zaps mentioned above can go on for months.  You have to wean off of Effexor (Venlaxafine) very slowly generally speaking.  Name brand Effexor is available in an XR version, though I wasn't aware that there was an XR version of the generic.  Some of these meds stay too expensive even when they go generic.

I take lorazepam (Ativan) prn, or as needed so it keeps working just fine for me without any need of increased dosage or worry of addiction.  Because it works so well for my anxiety (I take it on bad days or I take it when I'm going to be in crowds) I would never abuse it -  I'd be so upset if it ever stopped working for me!

There are some websites and apps for finding the cheapest prices for given medications locally.

We are currently messing around with my bipolar "cocktail" and I hate hate hate it.  A couple weeks ago after Latuda was titrated I had a terrible bout of akathisia which scared me sooo bad I weaned off in two days and got a hollering at from my psychiatrist.  I hope we find a decent mix, but I'm feeling pretty good just taking Tegretol so maybe he'll leave me alone!  That and my two blood pressure pills and some supplements, I could live with this!  I don't think they'll ever find a combination that will make me feel "good" and sleep right, so I'm happy with just feeling good. :)  The last mix had me feeling like I was a stoned teenager with the munchies so I gained a bunch of weight, I've lost 8 pounds since we started to "fix" this problem, thank goodness!

This is a really good site if you are taking psychotropic meds for depression, anxiety, schizophrenia or anxiety to help guide you through the journey.  I found it interesting in retrospect (I should have checked it when prescribed) that it says not to combine Tegretol with Latuda - maybe I should recommend the site to my psychiatrist, ha! 

Benadryl keeps me up for at least 18 hours and makes me really edgy.  You wouldn't want to chat with me on Benadryl.  You would not walk out without wounds

I knew about the paradoxical effects of Benadryl, it sounds like you get paradoxical effects to a lot of meds.  Sound advice, Muffyn!  And hugs, how awful!

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in June/July 2003. Three years ago, the disease came back, and I had the radiation ablation treatment in December 2012. The Actifed incident was in October 2002. I was going in at the time to be a possible kidney donor for my husband, and the kidney specialist noticed my blood pressure was a little high. She told me to stay away from certain meds.

I did have an operation in December 2002 for endometriosis, and the Graves Disease symptoms started to kick in two months after the operation. I guess some women who were diagnosed with endometriosis can end up with Graves Disease.

So I'm addicted to venlafaxine? Who knew??? I've run out of it and been off for a couple days before with no noticeable effects. I had no idea it had withdrawal symptoms. (And you're thinking...that's why it comes with 3 pages of mousetype, stupid! And I'M thinking, wow! You read those???) Nothing notable until day 3... by day 3, I'm a sniveling crying mess (because...toilet paper, you know). Maybe that's the withdrawal?

I have checked on local prices, the doctor has, and the insurance company has. And I've done the sites that tell you the cheapest place. I have the little discount card, too. Mine is not generic, but some small voice in my head remembers the doc saying I had to get the name brand. Why? I don't remember, I've been taking it for a couple years. I don't have a problem with generics! I'll find out. My Don't Kill Sonny pill; I can google that, right?

• Love 1

I've learned more about drugs here today than at my job, and I work for a biopharmaceutical! I'm intrigued by the Ativan for flying, as I hate flying and am afraid that one day I will be the cause of an emergency landing. I'm on Amitriptyline (Elavil) for migraines and to help with insomnia. I've been on it for several years, and if I miss a dose I can't sleep.

• Love 1

I must be an odd duck. Well odder than I thought. I took Ativan every night for about 5 years. I never upped my dosage or took more than prescribed but I heard it was addictive and I was worried about what would happen if I stopped. I went on vacation and never got the script refilled so I ran out. I Never missed a beat. No withdrawal or anxiousness just the usual hard time falling asleep. I never got it refilled after that.

• Love 1
I must be an odd duck. Well odder than I thought. I took Ativan every night for about 5 years. I never upped my dosage or took more than prescribed but I heard it was addictive and I was worried about what would happen if I stopped. I went on vacation and never got the script refilled so I ran out. I Never missed a beat. No withdrawal or anxiousness just the usual hard time falling asleep. I never got it refilled after that.

Wow.  Could it have been a placebo?  In any case, it's great that you don't require the Ativan anymore. 

• Love 1

I'm super sensitive to meds, too, mostly antibiotics. I'm allergic to penicillin (hives, heart issues), sulfa antibiotics (hallucinations), and codeine (hives). It's a real challenge when I have an infection that requires antibiotics; I keep a small list of ones I've taken before that didn't cause bad reactions.

My thyroid problems caused a minor heart arrythmia that's made me have to take beta blockers. It took several rounds to find one that 1) worked and 2) didn't cause me to have what my doctor called "waking nightmares". I would essentially keep dreaming even as my body was waking up and moving--one night I was convinced there was a man hanging from a noose above my bed and I went running for the door, missed and knocked my face into the door frame. I would wake up fully to find myself in random rooms around the house without even realizing I had gotten out of bed. It was freaky.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2

I've been on Ativan for years for PTSD and anxiety. I get 120 2mg pills a month, and there are days that I take it every six hours, and there are days that I go stretches without taking it at all. I've luckily not had any withdrawal symptoms from it. I've had adverse reactions to both klonopin (losing time) and xanax (hives) but Ativan has been a life saver for me.

I've had a ton of adverse reactions to other meds though. I was diagnosed with a latex allergy right before my 12th birthday. They put me on Atarax for that, and it turned out I was deathly allergic to that too. I have gastroparesis, a disease that paralyzes part of my gut. One of the only drugs you can use to treat it is Reglan, and I had a psychotic reaction to it. Ditto to domperidone, a drug for the gastroparesis I had to pay out of pocket and have made specially at a compound pharmacy. I had a horrible reaction with hives to Darvocet, and a few weeks later it was taken off of the market. Welbutrin? Hives. I was on morphine for seven years due to RSD, have been off of it for almost five, and when I was in the hospital after my hysterectomy, they tried to give me morphine via IV for pain control, and guess what? It made my arm swell up where it went in via IV and my mouth started to swell. The only drug that works to take care of my nausea anymore is compazine (unless I'm receiving phenergan via IV) and I can't take that anymore because it started causing tardive dyskinesia as an allergic reaction. I'm deathly allergic to penicillin. And then there's the fact that I can't take Coumadin for my chronic dangerous blood clots because it doesn't work due to my genetic toxic blood disorder. I'm 29 years old; I'm too young for this shit!

• Love 5

Readalot I had breast cancer 7 years ago ( with all the indignities that go along with that)so I sympathize. Please report back and let us know how the MRI went. If you can just close your eyes (love that idea Lookyloo) and let your mind go somewhere else it really helps. Let your body be there but your mind wander if you can. My fear of the MR

I was much worse then the reality. Good luck and sweat dreams .

I hope you are Cancer free for the rest of your life! - ------checking in! I survived! The IV went in the first time! No reaction to the contrast thank goodness (I was really worried about this). I took the Ativan about 1.5 hours or so before I went in the tube. Nothing happened. They had an 80's channel on but I could barely hear it. So my mind game was trying to figure out the song and then think of a good memory that went with that song. The position you are in on your tummy is so uncomfortable. I have a short neck so my face didn't fully fit the brace. The weight of my head was on my jawline at the bottom of the neck brace thingy. This made it hard to swallow. I had to thrust my tongue out most of the time so I didn't feel like I was going to choke. The bar on a ramp that your torso lays on hurts like hell. And your boobs are squished in boxes. I had to suppress dry heaving. Then halfway through I started to feel dizzy and like I was turning like a hot dog on a spit. Not sure of if it was the avitan. Not fun. At six minutes my mental strenghth ran out and I called for it to stop. She said I had six minutes left and she would check in after two minutes. Well she checked in at 5! I was ready to kick myself out of there. My feet were shacking and they told me to stop but I Couldn't. But I did it to the end! Whew! My body is so sore they said it was to be expected for a day or so. - as far as meds most don't work the way they are supposed to for me. The antibiotic that starts with Nitro? It almost killed me. Spresssed my breathing something nasty. Benadryl - I'm drunk. One decongestant pill - heart racing to the moon and there are ants in my blood. I was given Vicodin for both my c sections. it barely releaved the pain and I did not feel the "fun" that others have. I could go on and on. I was told to look into Mast Cell Disease because I also get extreme reactions to any kind of insect bites. There is also a blood test you can take that will analyze how your body reacts amd tolerates various drug classes. If anyone wants the name let me know. I am going to see if my insurance will cover it. - and I have said it before - and I will say it again. "Thank YOU, to all, for your support, insight, laughs, concern, and FF hugs, my heart truly feels you and it means the world to me!" XOXO

I've learned more about drugs here today than at my job, and I work for a biopharmaceutical! I'm intrigued by the Ativan for flying, as I hate flying and am afraid that one day I will be the cause of an emergency landing. I'm on Amitriptyline (Elavil) for migraines and to help with insomnia. I've been on it for several years, and if I miss a dose I can't sleep.

my teen has a brain Chiari malformation and she takes this med for the same reason you do. Her quality of life increased tremendously she she started taking it a year ago.
  • Love 5