Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, louannems said:

Back in the 80's, before I had health insurance, I used to go to Planned Parenthood for my bladder infections.  After several, the Nurse Practitioner recommended the yogurt treatment!  There was no Greek yogurt back then, just regular.  It was messy but it did work and took away the burning and itching immediately!

I'm glad you corrected yourself.  Using plain yogurt externally does seem to help the symptoms of a yeast infection.  I would not recommend using yogurt inside the vagina for any reason, it is more likely to promote infection than cure it.

As others have noted, the vagina and the urethra are not connected and there is nothing that putting yogurt in the vagina would do for a bladder infection except maybe lead to a vaginal infection which could distract from the symptoms of a UTI.

There are also studies that indicate that eating plain yogurt daily can decrease vaginal yeast infections in women who are prone to them.  That's because the yeast that causes vaginal infections originates in the colon where it aids in digestion,  Yogurt contains a variety of yeast that doesn't cause vaginitis and so, by eating it, you can replace the infectious yeast with non-infectious yeast.  At least, that's what I read years ago.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 10
  • Love 7
(edited)
21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I'm glad you corrected yourself.  Using plain yogurt externally does seem to help the symptoms of a yeast infection.  I would not recommend using yogurt inside the vagina for any reason, it is more likely to promote infection than cure it.

As others have noted, the vagina and the urethra are not connected and there is nothing that putting yogurt in the vagina would do for a bladder infection except maybe lead to a vaginal infection which could distract from the symptoms of a UTI.

There are also studies that indicate that eating plain yogurt daily can decrease vaginal yeast infections in women who are prone to them.  That's because the yeast that causes vaginal infections originates in the colon where it aids in digestion,  Yogurt contains a variety of yeast that doesn't cause vaginitis and so, by eating it, you can replace the infectious yeast with non-infectious yeast.  At least, that's what I read years ago.

I used to get a lot of yeast infections and taking acidophilus helped prevent them.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I used to get a lot of yeast infections and taking acidophilus helped prevent them.

Acidophilus capsules theoretically should help, but its important to know that the FDA considers them to be a dietary supplement and not a drug, so the quality control oversight of their manufacture is not very thorough.

There is a specific type of Acidophilus which produces hydrogen peroxide as part of its metabolic processes.  Hydrogen peroxide is acidic, so it alters the pH of the vagina which can decrease the risk of yeast infections,  However, there are multiple varieties of Acidophilus and not all of them produce hydrogen peroxide.

A couple years back, there was a study done in which the investigators went out to various pharmacies, big box stores and health food vendors and purchased bottles of Acidophilus capsules from about 15 different manufacturers.

They took the caps back to the lab, opened the capsules and cultures them to detect the presence and amount of bacteria.  Most of the capsules did contain one variety of Acidophilus or another; however, only something like 2 of 15 contained a variety that produced hydrogen peroxide; the rest did not.  Meanwhile, they found a lot of other bacterial contamination including stuff like E coli present in most of the product they studied.

I found this study after working with a group of midwives who told everyone with yeast to use Acidophilus capsules and all of the patients who didn't get better had to see the doctor.  I was seeing a lot of people for whom Acidophilus did nothing or made things worse.  When I read that study, it confirmed my observation.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Interesting. I’ve heard of using yogurt for yeast infections, but never for UTIs. I used to work at Planned Parenthood.

Yes, I edited my post.  It definitely was for yeast infections, not UTI's!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I used to get a lot of yeast infections, too, back in the 80's.  Only while I had a certain boyfriend.  Interesting.

Shortly after, I broke up with him and within a couple years, I married.  It's been 34 years and I never had another yeast infection!

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, louannems said:

I used to get a lot of yeast infections, too, back in the 80's.  Only while I had a certain boyfriend.  Interesting.

Shortly after, I broke up with him and within a couple years, I married.  It's been 34 years and I never had another yeast infection!

Men can have and pass yeast infections. So if you treated and he didn't....

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Acidophilus capsules theoretically should help, but its important to know that the FDA considers them to be a dietary supplement and not a drug, so the quality control oversight of their manufacture is not very thorough.

There is a specific type of Acidophilus which produces hydrogen peroxide as part of its metabolic processes.  Hydrogen peroxide is acidic, so it alters the pH of the vagina which can decrease the risk of yeast infections,  However, there are multiple varieties of Acidophilus and not all of them produce hydrogen peroxide.

A couple years back, there was a study done in which the investigators went out to various pharmacies, big box stores and health food vendors and purchased bottles of Acidophilus capsules from about 15 different manufacturers.

They took the caps back to the lab, opened the capsules and cultures them to detect the presence and amount of bacteria.  Most of the capsules did contain one variety of Acidophilus or another; however, only something like 2 of 15 contained a variety that produced hydrogen peroxide; the rest did not.  Meanwhile, they found a lot of other bacterial contamination including stuff like E coli present in most of the product they studied.

I found this study after working with a group of midwives who told everyone with yeast to use Acidophilus capsules and all of the patients who didn't get better had to see the doctor.  I was seeing a lot of people for whom Acidophilus did nothing or made things worse.  When I read that study, it confirmed my observation.

I had some pricey ones that had to be kept refrigerated. It was years ago so I don’t remember the brand.

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

My son, the one with health problems, had a bout with yeast infections after being on strong antibiotics for an extended period of time. He was about 3 or 4. His yeast infections were at the corners of his mouth and in his little butt crack. The MDs recommended eating yogurt and it worked for him. If I'm remembering correctly, it was explained to me that the antibiotics were killing of helpful bacteria and eating yogurt would replace them. This was in the 80s and probiotics weren't a thing yet.

• Love 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, Jeeves said:

However, right now Roku and YTTV are disagreeing over how much information YTTV wants to be able to track from Roku users. If they don't resolve it, I'll have to either quit YTTV or figure out how to watch YTTV on my actual TV sets without buying anything I don't already own. Sigh.

This morning I found more info about youtubetv and Roku.  Youtube is offering a solution:

YouTube users will start seeing a “Go to YouTube TV” option in the main YouTube app over the next few days. When they select that, they’ll then be switched over to the standard YouTube TV user experience. This option is coming to Roku devices first — where it’s currently most needed — but will also come to YouTube on other platforms as well.

it notes the YouTube TV app remains usable for those who already have it installed.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1
(edited)

Question for those who get grocery store deliveries:  how accurate are your orders?

I just received my first delivery.  It was fun ordering online and texting with the shopper.  Out of ~40 items, 2 were wrong (I ordered a bag of cut/washed collard greens and got fresh ones that needs to be cut up, and I order a stick of salami and got a container of pancetta - what do I do with that??).  Is that a good delivery order result, in your opinion?  I'm trying to decide if I want to try again.

Forgot to mention they also got a meat selection wrong.  I'm thinking it could have been worse?

Edited by CouchTater
8 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Question for those who get grocery store deliveries:  how accurate are your orders?

I just received my first delivery.  It was fun ordering online and texting with the shopper.  Out of ~40 items, 2 were wrong (I ordered a bag of cut/washed collard greens and got fresh ones that needs to be cut up, and I order a stick of salami and got a container of pancetta - what do I do with that??).  Is that a good delivery order result, in your opinion?  I'm trying to decide if I want to try again.

Forgot to mention they also got a meat selection wrong.  I'm thinking it could have been worse?

When they forget items that is on the receipt when they said they delivered the purchase and text you a picture of the delivery where they put the bags of groceries and they delivered it to the wrong house. All of the  things above happened to me. 

12 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Most delivery services have an option for no substitutions.  The service I use has a check mark by each item before you check out.  You can specify what items not to substitute.  I was getting house brands instead of the name brands that I ordered.  Some I don't mind, but some I do.  So I make sure to check the "do not substitute" box by those items.  Often the service will have a place where you can leave a note.  That works, too.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Most delivery services have an option for no substitutions.  The service I use has a check mark by each item before you check out.  You can specify what items not to substitute.  I was getting house brands instead of the name brands that I ordered.  Some I don't mind, but some I do.  So I make sure to check the "do not substitute" box by those items.  Often the service will have a place where you can leave a note.  That works, too.  

The weird thing is I specifically put in the notes "no substitutions" and she noted it in her hello text to me.  For a few things she let me know they were not available and we chatted by text about substitutes/replacements.  So I don't know why she went rogue on the 3 items I mentioned.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I've had mixed results. Some times it's good, but if they forget something it's a total pain in the ass. I had once ordered all the ingredients and fixings for tacos, and they forgot the damn seasoning packet. One or two wrong/missing items can kill your dinner plans.

• Love 6
(edited)

For the pancetta you can mix it with gnocchi and peas for a one pot/pan dinner.  My grandkids devour it.  

I had better luck with Amazon Fresh than Instacart.  You see where they are out and pick your own substitutions.  I admit I'm happier going in the store though if I can.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 5

I have done Instacart once, and I only did it because it was a BJs trip, I had free delivery, and it was at the beginning of Covid.  I got an email showing possible substitutions.  One was the hubby's body wash-I chose Dove Men+Care, and the sub would have been Irish Spring.  He was totally fine with that.  The other was his deodorant.  He only uses a specific Gillette gel.  The sub was those GoGo Squeeze Yogurts for kids.  Not quite what he was looking for.  They were out of a few things, but overall, it was a good experience & my lady was very nice.

Has anyone subscribed to Walmart+?  I'm trying to figure out if it worth the money.  I primarily shop at Food Lion for our groceries and then fill in "extras" from Walmart.  I like the idea of the free delivery and free shipping, but we do have Amazon Prime.  I haven't used Amazon Fresh yet, but we use the hell out of Prime.  

Also, does anyone use a VPN, specifically Nord?  I signed up last night with a crazy deal that I couldn't pass up. I want it for YouTube videos, and Mr. Six wants it for streaming.  We also figured with Covid, this is our only chance to say we're in *insert random country here* 😁.  For those looking for other places to stream, check out PlutoTV.  It's free, and you don't need even need a login-just download and go.  There's a ton of old shows/cartoons on there that you can't find anywhere else.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

My neighbor signed up for Walmart+ and her first delivery arrived within hours, but had eight mistakes she said.   I got a free bottle of Tylenol out of the deal.  They sent her three when she had ordered a two pack.  Some mistakes are in the customer's favor and others not. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Has anyone subscribed to Walmart+?  I'm trying to figure out if it worth the money.  I primarily shop at Food Lion for our groceries and then fill in "extras" from Walmart.  I like the idea of the free delivery and free shipping, but we do have Amazon Prime.  I haven't used Amazon Fresh yet, but we use the hell out of Prime.  

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

I use Walmart+ and also have Prime.  If you check around, there are rewards programs that will refund you part of the subscription fee if you go through them to sign up.  I ended up getting a $50 paypal refund for buying the 1 year $98 subscription. 

I like that I can mix/match non-grocery items into my order for local delivery.  So if I need a new pack of socks or garden paving stones I can have that thrown into my order.  

Once I needed a few dry goods that didn't add up to the $35 minimum for a local delivery order, so I ordered them from the shipping part of WM.  Because they were in stock locally, they emailed me and said that they would have someone drop them off the next day without me needing to meet the order minimum since that as actually cheaper for them than boxing them up and shipping them via UPS.  

Their substitution policy is nice, for items you have not marked as no substitute, you'll get an app alert and email 1-2 hours before delivery listing what the substitution is, and you can approve/deny each one until the window closes and the order is picked up for delivery.  Also if they have to substitute, you get the lesser price between the original and substitute item.

I did have an issue on an order where apparently one bag was missing, so I didn't get two items.  It was very easy to just go back into the order and put in a missing item claim.  They refunded my credit card for the items before the end of the day, no questions asked. 

If you live near a gas station that participates in the WM+ program, you may find the discounts there are also attractive.

For me the $48 I paid for the year was well worth it, especially as it allows me to comparison shop between WM and Amazon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The only place that does grocery delivery where I live is Walmart. I used it last year when we couldn't go to the store in person. Not too many complaints, but for some stupid reason they fill the order out of a store that's further away and doesn't have stuff in stock, rather than filling it from the new one nearer that's got stuff. We were having to go to the other store anyway to get what was out of stock. So we went from having then deliver to doing pickup. Because they fill it out of the new store and it's been right every time. I get email and text messages for any substitutions or out of stock items. Very pleased. It's worth driving for. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I am one of those weirdos that LOVE going grocery shopping. Even when my area was shut down during the pandemic, off to the grocery store I went. I can’t comment on the delivery aspect, except to add that if you lived in my area I would gladly grocery shop for you and love every second of it! 

Edited by Westiepeach
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7

I get Whole Foods delivered via Amazon Prime all the time. I have also used Amazon Fresh with pretty good success. At the beginning of the pandemic, it was a crapshoot getting delivery times and/or the correct order contents but it has smoothed out a bunch. I rarely have order mistakes anymore. For anyone in the Bay Area, you may also check out GoodEggs.com.  They have a good selection and I use them all the time.

I do miss grocery shopping, though. Got my second Pfizer jab this past week so perhaps someday...

• Love 3

I hate to grocery shop and I especially hate shopping at Walmart because it's always busy and chaotic. So I use Walmart grocery pickup most of the time. I won't use them for produce, though, because I've had issues with oldish produce, frozen lettuce and celery, and weird substitutions. I was told that they'll add anything from the store as long as it's less than 50 lbs, so I've had them grab misc. stuff so I didn't have to make a trip into the store.

I hit Albertson's or Winco early in the morning for produce and meat.

• Love 1

As a former long time WM employee, I hate WM and refused to shop there after I quit. Ive got to say though, I started using their grocery pick up during the pandemic and I love it. I’ll use that as long as it’s offered. 

• Love 4

As I mentioned earlier, I received my very first grocery delivery today and noticed 3 issues.  Well, I found a 4th:  the broccoli florets were 1 week past the sell-by date.  Granted, they shouldn't have even been on the shelves in the first place.  I always check the sell-by dates on everything.  But I realize I can't expect the same care from a 3rd party shopper.

I decided to try the delivery service for a few reasons:  it was free, I was really tired, and it was Saturday afternoon (guaranteed people-overload at the store).  I'll probably do it again, but maybe I won't order any perishables.

• Love 6

I just got a text from my stepmother with what time the flight arrives. I texted her back and told her that I was sorry but she has to use Lyft or Uber because of the time she arrives I will be in the middle of a birthday party for the dog.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I am one of those weirdos that LOVE going grocery shopping. Even when my area was shut down during the pandemic, off to the grocery store I went. I can’t comment on the delivery aspect, except to add that if you lived in my area I would gladly grocery shop for you and love every second of it! 

Well if you're a weido, so am I...lol. I never ever stopped going grocery shopping and we never stopped our lives. My husband has worked every day(in his place of employment)during the pandemic except when he had vacation time he had to use. We went out to eat inside restaurants when they opened back up. We followed the rules of masks and every place did a great job in social distancing.

We didn't see family, which are out of state. The first time we saw them was over Labor Day, 2020. We just saw them again in April and that's been it. My parents both had Covid, my dad worse than my mom, but they recovered nicely. They and my in-laws kept their lives as normal as possible as well.

Edited by Madtown
  • Love 6

MommyRabbittron here please help me. One of the cats gave me a present a baby bunny and the bunny is fucking fast I can't catch it.  So now it looks like I have a new pet. My cat gives me presents a few times a week and they are alive. 

• Love 1

Mommy Rabbittron here Anyone wants a almost 22 year old POMERANIAN? My neighbor brought over some bunny food for me and the baby bunny started to eat it.  I went to get my fishing net to catch it and the damn dog ran an obstacle course through my legs tripping me could not catch the bunny and now I have 3 broken toes. 

(edited)

I tried multiple grocery shopping options, including instacart.  Most of the time, I got pickup at the store.  I was pretty satisfied.  I alway want a substitution, since I need the items.  If they don’t have chicken breasts, I’ll take a whole chicken.  Store brands are fine with me except for toothpaste.  Lol. If I was missing an item, it was because they were out and had nothing to substitute it with.  I always picked up my mom’s groceries too.  Once, they turned a pie on its side into a bag!  They just didn’t realize a pie needs to be bagged flat so it doesn’t  break apart.  

I did a lot of yard work this weekend.  I wore a mask, but my allergies are killing me.  I have voles or moles....lots of holes.  What should I do?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

Moles and Voles.  I feel your pain.  The family beagle is great about being able to hear them underground and going after them, which eventually leads them to move on to greener pastures (the neighbors) to escape her harassment.  But that just leads to even bigger holes from where she tries to dig them up, so I don't think that's the solution you are looking for.  It is fun to watch her stare at a spot of ground, twist her head this way and that, and then start flinging dirt though!

There's poisons and traps, but those can be bad for any pets or other wildlife in the area, and also may require body disposal.   The vermin hate the smell of castor oil, so spraying that around where the critters are munching and digging can help move them on while being less environmentally damaging than outright poison.  But again, not safe if dogs can ingest it (we use it only along the outside of the fence line to cut down on the number of new entrants), and it has to be reapplied often otherwise it dissipates.

I have no experience with the sonic repellents since we didn't want to risk agitating the beagle. 

If you find a solution let me know!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I tried multiple grocery shopping options, including instacart.  Most of the time, I got pickup at the store.  I was pretty satisfied.  I alway want a substitution, since I need the items.  If they don’t have chicken breasts, I’ll take a whole chicken.  Store brands are fine with me except for toothpaste.  Lol. If I was missing an item, it was because they were out and had nothing to substitute it with.  I always picked up my mom’s groceries too.  Once, they turned a pie on its side into a bag!  They just didn’t realize a pie needs to be bagged flat so it doesn’t  break apart.  

I did a lot of yard work this weekend.  I wore a mask, but my allergies are killing me.  I have voles or moles....lots of holes.  What should I do?

We had moles at our previous home for about 20 years.  I tried everything but they sure were clever.  I put in poison, put those plastic flowers that go with the wind and some kind of bubble gun.

Nothing worked.  I was ready to put the exhaust from the car down the hole but then we moved.  I was so happy to say goodbye to them.

5 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

Im not sure what place to ask this, but I'm curious. 

If you could pick a family to have grown up in and your choices were to be a Duggar kid or a Kody Brown kid, which family would you choose?

Kody Brown kid at least they have gone to school. 

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Kody Brown kid at least they have gone to school. 

Agree, as long as it’s not one of Robyn’s kids. It does seem like Christine and Janelle’s kids are smart and have Kody’s number, so they have that going for them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cherry Cola said:

If you could pick a family to have grown up in and your choices were to be a Duggar kid or a Kody Brown kid, which family would you choose?

Brown kid- no doubt, but I would say before TLC showed up. Christine seems to have really enjoyed being a caregiver and has genuine affection for all of the children she helped raise. I think there are genuine sibling relationships between the older kids that were encouraged. The Browns may disagree with things their parents have done but they were never threatened with eternal damnation because they disagreed. Male children (i.e. Logan) were taught caregiving and domestic skills- it didnt all fall on the girl children.

I hope all the Mom's and mom-like figures had a good day yesterday. Mom said she enjoyed her day and her fancy lunch (takeout), we watched Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix, and my sister's caregiver worked. 

I had a trauma yesterday. (in spoilers in case no one wants to read the grossness) 

Spoiler

Last week M (my sister's caregiver) saw mouse droppings again and when O (my friend) came over last week when my Mom was in the hospital she saw a mouse, so I called the exterminator back, set more poison boxes and snap traps downstairs. 

Yesterday evening a mouse appeared on my kitchen sink, but moving slowly (likely because of the poison),
I knocked it in the sink and turned the pot over to catch it- Blake is officially RETIRED because he was in the hallway not helping. 

I then got disposable gloves and plastic bags, turned the water on to try and drown it, lifted the pot up and it started moving again, I had to catch the mouse in the sink as it was moving in-between the plastic bags, stuff it in another bag and take it to the alley.

Cosmo had his first vet appointment with me. He is 92 lbs and needs dental chews. NINETY TWO! They want him to be 80.

DCAE53DC-C1E7-49C0-A43C-8BBBEA9DE915.jpeg

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

Cookie Brown 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Brown kid- no doubt, but I would say before TLC showed up. Christine seems to have really enjoyed being a caregiver and has genuine affection for all of the children she helped raise. I think there are genuine sibling relationships between the older kids that were encouraged. The Browns may disagree with things their parents have done but they were never threatened with eternal damnation because they disagreed. Male children (i.e. Logan) were taught caregiving and domestic skills- it didnt all fall on the girl children.

I hope all the Mom's and mom-like figures had a good day yesterday. Mom said she enjoyed her day and her fancy lunch (takeout), we watched Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix, and my sister's caregiver worked. 

I had a trauma yesterday. (in spoilers in case no one wants to read the grossness) 

Hide contents

Last week M (my sister's caregiver) saw mouse droppings again and when O (my friend) came over last week when my Mom was in the hospital she saw a mouse, so I called the exterminator back, set more poison boxes and snap traps downstairs. 

Yesterday evening a mouse appeared on my kitchen sink, but moving slowly (likely because of the poison),
I knocked it in the sink and turned the pot over to catch it- Blake is officially RETIRED because he was in the hallway not helping. 

I then got disposable gloves and plastic bags, turned the water on to try and drown it, lifted the pot up and it started moving again, I had to catch the mouse in the sink as it was moving in-between the plastic bags, stuff it in another bag and take it to the alley.

Cosmo had his first vet appointment with me. He is 92 lbs and needs dental chews. NINETY TWO! They want him to be 80.

DCAE53DC-C1E7-49C0-A43C-8BBBEA9DE915.jpeg

Awwww poor Cosmo.  Maybe he put on that "COVID 10 lbs" - or 20 in my case!!!

And as for your trauma @Scarlett45, I would have lost my damn mind.  Yikes!

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 3

My brother took my mom to his house for Mother's Day, and then Face Timed with me.  She couldn't tell me what she had just eaten for lunch, and could only say it was a nice day.  I don't think she knew who I was.  I'm going to see her in person later this week, but I'm not holding out much hope that she will know me.  I hope I can find her wedding rings.  My brother tossed her apartment and didn't find them, but I will look again.  I'm afraid she lost them down the sink or in the trash.  She doesn't have any idea that they are lost.  She was so unsteady yesterday my brother dragged an old walker out of his garage and told her to use it.  She won't remember.  He is going to have the facility do a mobility evaluation today so we can get her the proper equipment.  If she remembers to use it.  I'm surprised the care givers haven't done this already, but my mom refuses go to the dining room or to any activities, so I'm sure they don't have a reason to notice.  At least she is being compliant.  Her feelings of being better than other people is not working well in her old age.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

My brother took my mom to his house for Mother's Day, and then Face Timed with me.  She couldn't tell me what she had just eaten for lunch, and could only say it was a nice day.  I don't think she knew who I was.  I'm going to see her in person later this week, but I'm not holding out much hope that she will know me.  I hope I can find her wedding rings.  My brother tossed her apartment and didn't find them, but I will look again.  I'm afraid she lost them down the sink or in the trash.  She doesn't have any idea that they are lost.  She was so unsteady yesterday my brother dragged an old walker out of his garage and told her to use it.  She won't remember.  He is going to have the facility do a mobility evaluation today so we can get her the proper equipment.  If she remembers to use it.  I'm surprised the care givers haven't done this already, but my mom refuses go to the dining room or to any activities, so I'm sure they don't have a reason to notice.  At least she is being compliant.  Her feelings of being better than other people is not working well in her old age.

Dementia is hard. All you can ask at this point is that your mother is being kept clean, safe, comfortable and being treated with kindness and dignity for as long as she has left. I am so very sorry for you and your brother. When it gets this far its hardest on the caregivers and loved ones having to watch it. What I do know from my experiences as a caregiver to persons with dementia, is that those emotional memories, the faces of the ones you love most are often the last memories to go. She may know you up until the close to the end.

Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

• Useful 1
  • Love 8