Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I just got a UTI....ugh...hate it.  I was trying to take Cranberry pills and drink lots of water to keep them at bay, but I recently ran out....and I fell down on my water consumption:(     Doctor just prescribed me an antibiotic, but I don’t like using them.  Overuse can make bacteria resistant. I’m going to take them of course, but moving forward, I want a sound daily care plan.  So, has anyone heard of D-Mannose?  Is that the same or better than cranberry pills? Doctor said it wouldn’t hurt.    I know to be meticulous with hygiene, don’t delay urinating when you have to go, drink plenty of water, anything else?   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just got a UTI....ugh...hate it.  I was trying to take Cranberry pills and drink lots of water to keep them at bay, but I recently ran out....and I fell down on my water consumption:(     Doctor just prescribed me an antibiotic, but I don’t like using them.  Overuse can make bacteria resistant. I’m going to take them of course, but moving forward, I want a sound daily care plan.  So, has anyone heard of D-Mannose?  Is that the same or better than cranberry pills? Doctor said it wouldn’t hurt.    I know to be meticulous with hygiene, don’t delay urinating when you have to go, drink plenty of water, anything else?   

No experience with D-mannose but for the water consumption, have you tried a tracker bottle?  I love the designs from 64 hydro, but there are tons of them out there you can buy.   It can be useful for some people to help them remember how much they drank and if they are behind for the day. 

Have you talked to your Dr about lemonade (the real stuff not the countrytime crap)?  My sister's Dr has her drinking that to help with the hydration and the UTIs she gets from kidney stones.  Not positive if the lemon is for the stones or the UTI though.

• Love 3

Lemonade.....well... I would imagine it would contain sugar. I’m not opposed to sugar, but I do have Type I diabetes, so would need to cover carbs with insulin. It’s easier to avoid carbs. I suppose I could opt for Stevia....I imagine you have to make it from scratch, so it’s not so processed. I’ll look into it. I prefer a pill, if possible.  I like the idea of the water bottle.  I normally treat my water like medication and down 16 oz three times a day, morning, noon and dinner time.  

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Lemonade.....well... I would imagine it would contain sugar. I’m not opposed to sugar, but I do have Type I diabetes, so would need to cover carbs with insulin. It’s easier to avoid carbs. I suppose I could opt for Stevia....I imagine you have to make it from scratch, so it’s not so processed. I’ll look into it. I prefer a pill, if possible.  I like the idea of the water bottle.  I normally treat my water like medication and down 16 oz three times a day, morning, noon and dinner time.  

If you want somethings other than water, you might try Gatorade Zero. About 18 months ago I was diagnosed with an electrolyte imbalance and low sodium (?!). My doctor recommended sports drinks, and since I’m also diabetic, I settled on Gatorade Zero fruit punch. It doesn’t taste very sweet or have a very chemically aftertaste. I don’t like any of the other flavors but fortunately my local Target cares the fruit punch.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She uses the Simply Lemonade Light.  It is mostly Stevia but some sugar as well.  She then waters it down half and half with water so it is about 7 carbs per 16 oz fluid. 

If you don't mind the taste of it unsweetened, lemons in your water bottle might be an option.  My tracker bottle has a nice screen at the top so that it can double as a fruit infuser and I don't have to worry about accidentally getting seeds or stuff in my mouth when drinking.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did the doctor also prescribe Pyridium for the burning? That makes all the difference!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Did the doctor also prescribe Pyridium for the burning? That makes all the difference!

No, I didn’t think to ask. I haven’t had any burning.  Just urgency.  Urgency has always been my only symptom.  Once, a little bleeding.  I do have some over the counter Cystex pills and that helps with comfort.  I took one of those this morning.  I also took the antibiotic this morning and already feel so much better.   Peeing a lot, but without the urgent/pressure feeling.  So, I’ll be taking those to make sure it’s gone. I’m resuming with cranberry pills too. And, maybe the D-mannose, if I can confirm it’s recommended.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

@SunnyBeBe I’ll assume you’ve been made aware that your propensity for having a UTI is greater being diabetic. 

Not directly for Type I, but it makes sense.  I realize that high blood glucose can increase the risk for all kinds of issues like yeast infections, which I used to have when my diabetes wasn’t well managed. It makes sense that TI wouldn’t help.   I’ve only had a few UTI’s in my life.  I only had one during the years that I had poor control. Go figure.  Just one more thing to work on, though for me TI is already a full time job. Not to complain though.  I attended a wonderful Diabetes conference virtually this past weekend and got a huge boost!  I’m feeling much more confident and empowered already.   

• Love 6

I have had really good results with the Cranberry tablets for about 5 years now. I am almost obsessive compulsive in making sure that I don't run out, because prior to taking them I was  constantly having UTIs. With the Cranberry tablets, I never have them. I drink only water, nothing else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

I have had really good results with the Cranberry tablets for about 5 years now. I am almost obsessive compulsive in making sure that I don't run out, because prior to taking them I was  constantly having UTIs. With the Cranberry tablets, I never have them. I drink only water, nothing else.

Oh really!  Thanks for letting me know.  I’ll have to really be more diligent about this.  Good to know that it’s really helping people.  I don’t think I can give up a little coffee and wine, though. I don’t over do it.  I’ll get back on track (pardon the pun) and see how things go.   

• Love 5

Just got off the phone with my stepmother and she said that she was going to come visit me next weekend not to see me or the kids but to celebrate her dogs 22nd birthday I see where I rank  .

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Just got off the phone with my stepmother and she said that she was going to come visit me next weekend not to see me or the kids but to celebrate her dogs 22nd birthday I see where I rank  .

Was she kidding? If not not, maybe you should be busy.

• Love 4

My daughter has been silent as of late. I’ve been texting and writing to her and would just get these kid updates (baseball, grades the kids made etc)  I got after her in an email and found she is struggling with so many things. She is having health issues. For about 4 years she was in chronic pain and her diagnosis was IBS. Then they said a lot of it was in her mind and they wanted to issue her an antidepressant. I told her to get a second opinion. She did. She was suffering with kidney stones for 4 freaking years. They are back. She has high white and red blood platelets in her urine and so far she’s had 2 injections of rocephone plus a 10 day course of antibiotics. She got a referral to the MD who found the stones the first time. Meanwhile her husband has moved out a month ago and she’s been trying to do this all on her own. I told her there is no need to. That I am more than willing to come up to cook, clean and help with her 3 kids as well as emotionally support her. Dang. Why is it so hard to accept my help? Am I doing something wrong? I’m very concerned about her well being. 

• Love 2

@Mindthinkr, it may just be her personality. I hate to ask for help or accept anything beyond the most minimal. It makes me feel incapable of adulting and guilty for imposing on someone else.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, Nysha said:

@Mindthinkr, it may just be her personality. I hate to ask for help or accept anything beyond the most minimal. It makes me feel incapable of adulting and guilty for imposing on someone else.

I am the same way! I rather die than ask for help. 

• Love 2

my brother once told his pcp when doing a sports eval that his bruises (from wrestling) were child abuse (he thought it would be a funny joke). Turns out it wasn’t a funny joke 🤦🏻‍♀️, and they had the full work up/interviews before it clicked that my brother was just an absolute idiot and had no idea what those implications meant.

• Love 4

came to this thread to get away from all the josh stuff. my head cant take it anymore.  it is such a trigger for me. talked to my counselor today about the whole story and she was like 'OF COURSE it makes sense that you cant let this out of your thought process. it is bringing back what you dont want to think about again. so, for now, i am staying out of his thread and hoping this one stays relatively free from updates about it. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

came to this thread to get away from all the josh stuff. my head cant take it anymore.  it is such a trigger for me. talked to my counselor today about the whole story and she was like 'OF COURSE it makes sense that you cant let this out of your thought process. it is bringing back what you dont want to think about again. so, for now, i am staying out of his thread and hoping this one stays relatively free from updates about it. 

That's why I came here too. I'm not triggered and I'm sorry you are, @zoomama. I am however, sick of reading about it. It's awful and we won't really know anything new until the trial. I'm taking a break from that thread too. I do understand why it's fascinating and people are posting interesting thoughts, but it's just too much. 

• Love 3

Good evening, Small Talkers. I'm such a wimp. I went to the dentist today to have an old cracked tooth crowned. It was the first step, resulting in my now having a temporary crown which I'll have for three weeks. The good news is that the dentist used the local anesthetic liberally and although there was a lot of drilling I didn't feel pain. Of course the bad news was that it took a long time for the numbing to wear off today, and now my mouth is sort of achy. I assume that will settle down by morning. And for three weeks I have to be careful about eating and chewing because of the temporary crown. I'm reminding myself that at least I still have all my own teefs, although it's a mouthful of fillings and crowns. And there are two more teef to be filled, on the day the permanent crown goes on.  

I'm ready for a break from the breaking Josh news too. Between the dentistry and that, I had a low energy day with too much computer screen time and not enough sunshine. OTOH I did get a good afternoon nap, so there's that. 

• Love 11
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Hpmec said:

The only people who count ratings wise are those the Nielsen company monitors. I have personal experience with this. Nielsen selects tv viewing families (one family per 1500 households approximately) and puts a box on their tv to monitor what they watch. Families who sign up receive small checks every few months and keep the box for two years. Most people couldn't be bothered. A Nielsen rep told me 95% of households approached for this turn them down. So a select group of Americans are the only ones determining ratings that end up affecting what everyone watches on commercial tv. So just hope that current Nielsen families have no interest in the Duggars. That's how Counting On will be cancelled. 

Bringing this over from another topic.

I was contacted twice last year by Neilsen, inviting me to sign up. They actually sent me five or ten bucks in cash for me to keep whether I signed up or not. I think their tech has moved along from just a set top box. IIRC they way they explained it, it seemed that there would be a gadget that I would wear on my belt or something at home, that would allow them to track not only my cable/broadcast TV viewing but my streaming stuff as well. Apparently it would pick up coded sounds in the audio of the shows. That sounded kind of creepy to me and I never followed up with them after that.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3

Apparently we're always a Nielsen family because there is some kind of agreement between Nielsen and our cable company.   Simply using our cable TV gives them the data I guess. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I was contacted twice last year by Neilsen, inviting me to sign up. They actually sent me five or ten bucks in cash for me to keep whether I signed up or not. I think their tech has moved along from just a set top box. IIRC they way they explained it, it seemed that there would be a gadget that I would wear on my belt or something at home, that would allow them to track not only my cable/broadcast TV viewing but my streaming stuff as well. Apparently it would pick up coded sounds in the audio of the shows. That sounded kind of creepy to me and I never followed up with them after that.

If you have cable your cable company knows what you watch, record and delete. No Neilson rating box required. 

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I was thinking that a lot of the reluctance was likely general objections to being tracked in any way, even tv viewing, and that I'd have no problem signing up for Neilsen. But what you described is too much even for me. Hard pass.

• Love 6

There was a spot when I signed up for cable to mark whether or not they could track and report my viewing.  I don't think many people notice.

I've since left cable and really have no idea what tracking and reporting youtubetv does, but at my age I no longer care.  Want to know I watched Clarice?  Have at it.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, NoThyme said:

If you have cable your cable company knows what you watch, record and delete. No Neilson rating box required. 

Only if you have a dvr, right? I have satellite and no dvr. And won't get one either. But that's another topic. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I've since left cable and really have no idea what tracking and reporting youtubetv does, but at my age I no longer care.  Want to know I watched Clarice?  Have at it.  

I also went from Cable to YouTube TV, and also pretty much don't care if they know what I watch.

However, right now Roku and YTTV are disagreeing over how much information YTTV wants to be able to track from Roku users. If they don't resolve it, I'll have to either quit YTTV or figure out how to watch YTTV on my actual TV sets without buying anything I don't already own. Sigh.

19 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

However, right now Roku and YTTV are disagreeing over how much information YTTV wants to be able to track from Roku users. If they don't resolve it, I'll have to either quit YTTV or figure out how to watch YTTV on my actual TV sets without buying anything I don't already own. Sigh.

Fire stick.  I have one TV with a Fire Stick and one with a Roku.  There are some other products out there, too.  If you get stuck, drop me a PM and I can help you.  

• Love 1

Thanks. I do have a Fire Stick but I took it off the TV and haven't had a chance to put it back on and try it with YTTV. Thanks for letting me know it will work. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I actually did the Nielsen thing back around 2013-2014. In total  I got paid around $1000-1500 (in increasing quarterly installments).

At the time, they tracked 2-3 ways, your TV, your smartphone and your computer. You could opt for just monitoring your TV or add on phone or computer via apps on either of those. But you had to have the TV.

One was via the box they attached to your TV. They actually open up your TV and clip a sensor to the wire that is sending video and audio to the screen. It tracks whatever you watch via the signaling that is added by the broadcasting entity that includes 2 "channels", the actual audio/video for the show and the show identification information (think like the way some car radios will play the music and display the station and song information if available). It would capture information on anything that was put on the screen whether that came from cable, over-the-air antenna, HDMI or other inputs, DVD player, DVR recording, etc. It could differentiate if you were watching live or recorded.

Every 15 minutes or so, I had to press a button on their remote to clear an "are you still there" flashing light on the box so they could tell if someone was actually watching. If it didn't get the proper response, the data collection would stop and not start again until I acknowledged. There were multiple buttons that could be used to acknowledge - set up for which viewer in the household. I had to set up a profile one for my mom when she came to help me after I had surgery. That way, they could tell which person was watching (me, mom or "non-household member/group/guests/temporary viewers").

The Smartphone and computer tracking apps didn't require acknowledgement, they sort of tracked all the time from what they explained. I opted not to do those. You got paid an additional fee for those. Back then, there weren't really any streaming services. More just watching a show by going to the show website and watching or maybe watching videos on youtube. It tracked web browser activity.

• Useful 5

We have to have Comcast Cable as part of our association dues. If they're tracking what we watch, they must be sorely disappointed. We stream everything and only watch tv for football and breaking news. They had a vote to see if we could drop the cable package (doesn't include internet, that's extra 🙄) and most of the geezers in our hood voted no. I'm a bit of a geezer myself, but I don't like to be told what I can do! I'd prefer to choose my provider. 

I'm having a good week. Beautiful orioles have been at my hummingbird feeder for days. The sad part is that they're keeping away the hummingbirds, but I like seeing both. So does my cat, who sits by the window and gets all excited like he's actually going to catch an oriole! Also our twin granddaughters turned 2 on Tuesday and we're going to see them tomorrow to give them their gifts. And we visited with our local granddaughter today while our daughter was getting her 2nd vaccine. I'm feeling more positive about the future with all these vaccinations taking place. 

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I'm feeling more positive about the future with all these vaccinations taking place. 

There's a term, something like exponential decay, that means we reach a point in vaccinations and natural immunity where new cases begin to drop precipitately.  I think our county has reached that point.  It's been fun the last couple of weeks to see the drop almost day by day.  There's a tipping point somewhere around 55% of people with at least one dose where this seems to start.  I'm guessing the actual point also depends on natural immunity in the community.  In our county at around 50% with one dose, the new cases per day stabilized and began dropping but not as dramatically.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Thanks. I do have a Fire Stick but I took it off the TV and haven't had a chance to put it back on and try it with YTTV. Thanks for letting me know it will work. 

I also watch YouTube TV with a fire stick. It works!

• Love 2
On 5/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Because all of my organs were affected when I had the rare Guillain-Barre Syndrome, that should have killed me, I get UTI's ALL OF THE TIME!! When they figured I had one in the ICU, the nurses would actually pour Cranberry juice right into my feeding tube, but it never did work. After the first 20 years of suffering, I did lots of my own research and found what works really well for me. I buy plain, organic Greek yogurt, load up a syringe and shoot it inside me, then plug it with a tampon. In less than 24 hours, it is gone and I am back to normal! Sounds weird but lots of women use this!

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 5/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I drink a gallon of water mixed with pure lemon juice, lots of lemon juice, and no sweetener, but it does nothing to get rid of UTI'S. Maybe I just have a strange system!

(edited)
3 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

Because all of my organs were affected when I had the rare Guillain-Barre Syndrome, that should have killed me, I get UTI's ALL OF THE TIME!! When they figured I had one in the ICU, the nurses would actually pour Cranberry juice right into my feeding tube, but it never did work. After the first 20 years of suffering, I did lots of my own research and found what works really well for me. I buy plain, organic Greek yogurt, load up a syringe and shoot it inside me, then plug it with a tampon. In less than 24 hours, it is gone and I am back to normal! Sounds weird but lots of women use this!

This makes no sense to me. The vaginal canal is separate from the urethra. Do you have a source for this?  

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 10
Just now, Cinnabon said:

This makes no sense to me. Do you have a source for this?  

I found article about this many years ago, so don't have them anymore. Sorry, I know it sounds very strange, but lots of women use this. Maybe it's the lactic acid in the yogurt? They are advertising a new form of birth control on tv now, and it contains lactic acid, so maybe science is catching up with the natural ways? You don't have to use it, just wanted to share what works so well for me:)

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

Back in the 80's, before I had health insurance, I used to go to Planned Parenthood for my bladder infections.  After several, the Nurse Practitioner recommended the yogurt treatment!  There was no Greek yogurt back then, just regular.  It was messy but it did work and took away the burning and itching immediately!

14 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

Back in the 80's, before I had health insurance, I used to go to Planned Parenthood for my bladder infections.  After several, the Nurse Practitioner recommended the yogurt treatment!  There was no Greek yogurt back then, just regular.  It was messy but it did work and took away the burning and itching immediately!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, louannems said:

OMG!  I just remembered it wasn't for UTI's, but for constant yeast infections!

Sorry!

• Love 12
On 4/27/2021 at 8:19 AM, Tikichick said:

Contending with the minutiae of a probate estate isn't for the faint of heart.   My advice, keep meticulous records.   Retaining a law firm was a very good choice.   If things become incredibly burdensome you may also consider whether your state has provisions for the estate compensating you for your time.    Even if you currently think, absolutely not, I'm doing this to honor my friend's wishes, there may come a point where the workload just keeps coming.   I don't say this to advocate for the idea that you should use your position for profit, simply from the experience of having worked in the courts for many years and watching how so many cases play out.

We set up a revocable living trust for our kids.  It was pretty easy.  We updated our wills.  A recent death in the family made me realize that a trust was the way to go.  FYI

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, louannems said:

I also use it for yeast infections! Thanks for telling your story so everyone doesn't think I am nuts for using the yogurt treatment!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Interesting. I’ve heard of using yogurt for yeast infections, but never for UTIs. I used to work at Planned Parenthood.

• Love 6

on another topic that is way more fun, i started painting a ceramic rooster today. i am not a ceramics painter -- i usually do chalkpaint on furniture. this is so fun!  btw, its going to be pink and gray to match my bedroom.  

• Love 13

Back when I was in college, you couldn’t buy cream for yeast infections OTC!  You had to get a prescription.  Terazol was the only thing that worked for me, so, I did try the yogurt remedy.  I can’t say it worked for me.  I usually ended up seeing a doctor.  Since my blood sugar got under control, I really never get them anymore, even when I take antibiotics, which is a relief.  They are very uncomfortable.  

• Love 6
On 5/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

No, I didn’t think to ask. I haven’t had any burning.  Just urgency.  Urgency has always been my only symptom.  Once, a little bleeding.  I do have some over the counter Cystex pills and that helps with comfort.  I took one of those this morning.  I also took the antibiotic this morning and already feel so much better.   Peeing a lot, but without the urgent/pressure feeling.  So, I’ll be taking those to make sure it’s gone. I’m resuming with cranberry pills too. And, maybe the D-mannose, if I can confirm it’s recommended.  

You can buy pyridium over the counter these days,  Two common brands are Uristat and Azo Standard.  You can usually find it where you find the vaginal yeast products, condoms, etc.

I think the lemonade may be to acidify the urine a little to prevent stones from forming,  If you're not prone to kidney stones, you probably don't need lemonade specifically.

If you're postmenopausal and not on hormone therapy, you could ask your doctor about using vaginal estrogen or tablets.  It doesn't go into the rest of the body and it reverses some of the atrophy that occurs with menopause.  It is not just vaginal tissue that responds to estrogen, the urinary tract does, too.  Estrogen can improve bladder function, strengthen the muscles there and help prevent UTI's.

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3