Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

We aren't having shortages in our new area, but people have been seen filling up multiple containers anyway. I understand from some friends in Nashville that they were hit...another reason to be glad we relocated. I was low-ish this morning so I went ahead and filled up. I'll be good for a couple weeks now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

Well tomorrow it's the birthday party for the dog 22 years young. I just got home from ordering his meat birthday cake and preordered McDonald's for hamburgers and cheese burgers for the doggie guests and the dog parents who are coming to the dog park for the party.  But the funniest thing is that my mom is a going to pick up my dad and stepmom from the airport because of the fact that the party is the same time as the plane lands. This party costs about the same amount as one of my kids parties. 

A 22 year old dog is really something to celebrate!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My question is why we would not be more diversified in our supply options. 

Today is supposed to be the worst day for gas shortage......I think I can make it for 1 week if I limit the drives to office and court.  If it doesn’t improve soon, they may cancel court.  

https://www.wral.com/experts-say-prepare-for-hardest-day-to-find-fuel-yet-as-65-of-stations-without-gas-in-nc/19678133/

What state do you live in SUNNYBEBE? I live in MA.. no shortage here and i went and got gas this morning and the price is up to $2.89

37 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

A 22 year old dog is really something to celebrate!

WOW!!  Happy canine Birthday!

• Love 3
On 5/13/2021 at 6:41 AM, xtwheeler said:

I'm sorry, but this is just false. The vaccines have been tested in, now, millions of people. Before they were approved for emergency use, they went through rigorous testing. The FDA did not just throw these out there. The rapidity of their approval is based on the FDA waiving the waiting periods between evaluations. The research as testing was still done. Moreover, many of the components had otherwise been determined safe. The vaccines began development in January, and entered the third, large-scale FDA required testing months before they were approved. The FDA did things like shorten the waiting time from at least 2 years to 6 months. 

Thus, these COVID-19 vaccines have gone through preclinical testing, three phases of clinical trials and external review by two independent panels of experts and two civil service scientific reviews.

The speed of approval for these vaccines is because: Newer vaccine technology is being used; There is unprecedented financial support; researchers were able to leverage previous coronavirus research; and hundreds of vaccine candidates are being developed and tested simultaneously. 

An emergency use authorization does not mean any safety testing was shortcut--it ONLY means that the FDA put the drugs at the top of the queue for review. They were tested, as Phase 3 testing requires, in hundreds of thousands of people & deemed safe and effective. 

In addition we now have hundreds of millions of in vivo uses to review, and they have proved to be safe and effective. 

A vaccine that provides up to 99% efficacy against a disease that has a 5% or so death rate represents millions of lives saved, not to mention the infections that were debilitating, causing long term illness that were prevented. The vaccines also protect the most vulnerable, who cannot themselves be vaccinated. 

As of this week, there have been ZERO deaths attributable to the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. Just because there were deaths after vaccination does not mean they are attributable to the vaccines. We have no evidence that the post-vaccine deaths exceed those deaths that would have usually occurred. 

Please let me know if you'd like references to actual scientific sources for any of the above. 

Finally, self-reporting to VAERS is exactly that - - self-reporting, which is inherently useless. Anybody can report anything to VAERS. I have seen reports to VAERS that claimed some vaccine or other turned recipients into Spiderman. People have reported deaths by car accident as caused by the vaccine. 

I have extensive experience with regulatory law and pharmaceuticals. Follow the reputable science, not memes, rumors, or claims by people who are just scared for no reason. 

These vaccines have been tested just like any other pharmaceutical, and have been proven safe and effective. 

I agree.  I have done so much research since these vaccines came out.  I follow the science (I used to work in the medical field - but, i also have 1-2 problems - not bad, but still).  I just got my 2nd Pfizer vaccine today at 11am ET.  I just wanted it (I haven't seen  my family for over a year).  I also get the flu shot every year - no problem.  I understand hesitancy and I understand the media/cdc has us all in confusion.  I'm doing for me what is best.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Whoa. I'm out West so AFAIK we're not short of supply but we are experiencing higher prices. Those of you who have been directly impacted, have my sympathy and hopes that things bounce back fast.

This is a good reminder for me, to not let the fuel in the tank of my car get too low. Many years ago a guy of some importance in my life, was dead dog serious about keeping the tank in the car topped up. it made sense to me, especially in winter here when storms come through, and even in good weather you don't want to get stranded somewhere because your car ran out of gas. 

Here in the US we've been spoiled rotten by strong supply chains for everything from consumer goods to building materials, to - well, gasoline. The pandemic messed with a lot of supply chains, and now the pipeline situation has been like a wake-up slap in the face for me about gasoline. And, power. 

Anticipating road trips (yet to come, sigh) and camping in my minivan, I splurged last year on a Jackery portable power station when they were offering a package deal sale when you also bought the portable solar panels. Once it arrived I realized it's also useful to have here in the condo for use when power goes out. 

I'm far from a prepper, but this past year has caused me to stop and think about many things I used to take for granted.

I have always been envious of your camping in a minivan plans. The fact that you can figure out the power station and hook up solar panels to it, just adds to my jealousy!! Good for you!!!

• Love 6
Just now, SMama said:

C6FB4017-B1E6-4A1D-A1BF-434DD312DBA9.thumb.jpeg.51bc2744cdfcd177256dc5b5dd72f95d.jpeg

Sorry, I couldn’t add text to the above post.

I should have qualified my initial post. Most of the jail visits were for drug convictions. The county I practiced 95% of my career was a very crunchy, granola, tree hugging type. Judges have the ultimate say even when The Department vehemently opposes jail visits. 

If the parent (in all my cases fathers) was incarcerated for sexual crimes or DV the judges had the good sense to say no. I did have a father who sexually abused his stepdaughter since she was a toddler. She finally confided at age twelve to a friend, who was a true friend and told her parents. The father and his parents were very wealthy and he was out on bond. 

He had two biological daughters and the judge ordered visitation at our office for the father. The reasoning of the judge was that he “just molested the stepdaughter, not his daughters.” The VA’s refused to supervise the visits, and although I had tight deadlines in the court unit, I understood. I supervised the visits and it was sheer torture watching him play loving father knowing what he did to his stepdaughter. I do hope there’s a special place in hell for him. Money does talk. 

Were the visits good for or in the best interest of the kids? The truth is I’m biased. I don’t think is good to have a child visit in that setting, no matter the age. There is such a thing as implicit memories, but a lot of people think that’s hogwash.

For the very young I think it was much easier. The majority had lived such an unstable life that seeing their parent in an orange jumpsuit didn’t faze them. Nor did the armed Sheriff’s deputy present. They were happy to see mom, and seemed not to have a care in the world. It would be nice if there was a longitudinal study on how the children fare. Maybe there is. I remember each and every child.

Once the kids realize that the parent is in jail it’s just plain painful. The checking in, no food, water, toys permitted. Watching the parent handcuffed upon entering the room. It does sour a visit quickly. Some kids refused to go and I didn’t try to convince them to go. Some as young as 5 got it. 

I was so often threatened with contempt of court and a stay in the county jail over not “complying with a court visitation order,” it became a joke. One day my supervisor and I brought a toothbrush and a small travel pillow to court. She was an awesome supervisor. The judge was red faced furious but we avoided incarceration. 😂

So many people think SWs call the shots in CPS cases. The fact that proceedings are not public adds to that perception. The judges make the ultimate decision. I’ve shed many tears for the kids on my caseload.

Sorry for the long winded response. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m in NC, but I heard on the news that DC is also OUT of gas.

I hadn't heard about any gas shortage until I read about it here (I stay off the news channels and web sites as much as possible now).  Then I heard that a gas station near me was out of gas!  So I filled up my tank this evening, just in case..... 

I'm in Michigan.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I have always been envious of your camping in a minivan plans. The fact that you can figure out the power station and hook up solar panels to it, just adds to my jealousy!! Good for you!!!

Aw, thanks, but I haven't done much camping for quite awhile. I *have* watched way too many YouTube videos by nomads and people traveling around in vans, lol. I hope to get in a few short camping trips to some of our state parks in the coming weeks.

• Love 4

I was in California yesterday and today, and had to stay overnight in Stockton.  Anyone living in California knows Stockton's crime reputation, so I decided to stay at the Hilton since it has a guarded parking lot, and security.  Last night at 2:00 AM the fire alarm went off, and we had to evacuate.  Now, do you take the time to get dressed?  What do you take?  I was wearing my nightshirt which is a heavy cotton material, but I had no robe.  So I put my blouse on over my nightgown, grabbed my purse, my car key, my phone, and my room key.  Luckily I was on the 2nd floor, since I have trouble with stairs.  Most people seemed to be dressed--or maybe most people sleep in sweats??  One guy brought all his luggage.  It was interesting to see how other people reacted.  My car was parked close to the building, so I sat in my car and just watched.  It turned out there was no fire, and the smoke was from a belt on some compressor (or that was the story given this morning).  It is a non-smoking hotel, and it is possible someone was smoking in their room and the smoke went into the vent and set off the alarm.  That was the story last night.  Anyway, after 30 minutes we were allowed back in to go back to bed.  I guess the lesson I learned is to be sure to put my keys, purse and room card in one place, and know where my glasses are.  This was excitement I could have easily lived without.  Never fear you won't hear a hotel fire alarm.  There is NO WAY you can sleep though the alarm and the strobing light in your room!!

• Useful 8
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Never fear you won't hear a hotel fire alarm.  There is NO WAY you can sleep though the alarm and the strobing light in your room!!

Oh, that brought back a memory - from the 90's. We had a sort of informal weekend family reunion in the Fort Worth area. We all booked into the same hotel, something like a Hampton Inn. There were maybe 20 of us - or more, from TX, OK, CO, and CA.

In the middle of the night, the fire alarm went off. At that time the older generation (all now gone, sigh) were getting up in years and some were not in great health. It was a false alarm, and I didn't mind for myself, but was sorry the ones who needed their rest had been disturbed and rousted out of bed. Fortunately the weather was nice. Anyway, in this situation it was interesting to see everyone outside in various states of jammies/robes/shorts/etc. At least with all the family around we could count noses and be sure all of us were safely outside.   🙂.   

I agree about keeping your stuff handy in hotel rooms, a great idea that I'm not so great about actually DOING. Although I've gotten better about it. Glasses, phone, and keys on the nightstand; at least I'm pretty good about that. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Covid restrictions are being loosened and/or lifted in a lot of areas. How's everyone feeling about that? Especially parents of kids under 12?

It feels too soon to me, but I suppose after the year we've been through, we might all need therapy before we can re-socialize! So maybe whenever the restrictions were loosened, I would have felt anxiety. I'll still wear one in stores and other populated areas.

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 14
(edited)

Covid restrictions are being loosened and/or lifted in a lot of areas. How's everyone feeling about that? Especially parents of kids under 12?

Not a parent, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm fully vaccinated but expect to continue wearing my mask when in stores, etc., anyway.

I assume there will be lots of people who will happily lie about being fully vaccinated and go maskless. Here in Colorado the mask mandate is lifted, but businesses can require them. A business can ask for proof of vaccination, but I don't think that many of them will do that to avoid confrontations and arguments, etc.  I hope this isn't a bad development for the employees in restaurants and bars. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6

Not good. 🙁 As of yesterday I'm hearing a lot of, "vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask anymore" that apparently came from the CDC? I admittedly haven't researched a lot of what has been changing in the last few days to verify what exactly has been changed legally in my state vs. just recommended as I just haven't had the mental energy to deal with it yet. The problem in my mind with the idea of mask restrictions being lifted for the vaccinated is...how do you know if someone has really been vaccinated? The people who will refuse the vaccine without a medically viable reason to do so don't seem to be the type who would willingly choose to wear a mask anywhere if it's not an absolute requirement. My state is not at herd-immunity levels of vaccination yet so I vehemently disagree with lifting mask requirements for all until we hit that point. What incentive is there for continued vaccination so we can hit that herd immunity if restrictions just get lifted for everyone before we're there? I have two children well under age 12 and after everything I have done to protect them from Covid this year, it's disheartening to me that we seem to be ready to throw away all protections that could continue to keep them safe until they can hopefully be vaccinated. I want them back in in-person school next year, but if there's no masking rules and also no way for me to know if the adults around them are vaccinated, or if the children sitting next to them come from vaccinated households, that makes me feel like all precautions done this year were for naught. 

I was also told yesterday I have to go back to full in person work at my office in one week. This after they made a big deal over how they would give us at least two weeks' notice or more on coming back, and would bring us back gradually in groups, part time, and so on. Yeah, right...the second they got a legal okay to bring everyone back, all that went out the window. I love working from home and have done so successfully for over a year now, as have many others, and now....no choice, no say, just an executive "we think it's better for everyone to be in the office so everyone has to be here, now." It's very disheartening.

16 hours ago, sue450 said:

duggar family friend caleb worked with him....he got arrested for getting a girl pregnant

Is it just me or is it weird that the Caleb person was arrested for getting a girl pregnant - or was the girl underage?

• Love 1

I'll continue to where masks indoors for the foreseeable future. My feeling is we'll see some minor increases in cases in the next couple of months, but many more by August. The heat is going to force more folks inside and many of them will be unmasked and unvaccinated. I do think by next Spring everything will be back to normal, because by then the anti-vaxxers will probably have gotten immunity and more folks will be vaxxed.

My immediate family is one second dose away from being fully vaxxed. At least we as a family will be able to gather safely. And areas of New England are nearing 70% vaxxed.

My hope is everything feels safe sooner, maybe even this year. Fingers crossed.

• Love 16
(edited)
25 minutes ago, cjmmytunes said:

OK - talking about Caleb and being arrested for getting an under-age girl pg.  I've never heard of it happening in my state, but maybe I'm just not paying attention.

caleb lives in Illinois - got a 16 yr old pregnant when he was 23. he spent 1 night in jail, mommy bailed him out. His sentence was 62 days in jail with work release. and 18 mo probation.

scum has been suing for visitation of the child claiming the now 2yr old girl is be harmed by having no relationship with her father. no court has bought that one yet.

also if you look up Caleb on wiki - while on probation he took a little trip at the beginning of Jan. like maybe the 6th.....

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 9
21 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

also if you look up Caleb on wiki - while on probation he took a little trip at the beginning of Jan. like maybe the 6th.....

Last name for Caleb?  And I wonder if he got permission from his PO to go to wherever he went on 1/6/21?

I think the guy who's been up to no good is named Caleb Williams. He was rumored to be courting Jana in 2017. I'm not sure how he got into this conversation.

A man named Jacob Wilson who grew up as a friend of the Duggars, including Josh, made a video on IG that was discussed in the Josh topic this past week. 

1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

I think the guy who's been up to no good is named Caleb Williams. He was rumored to be courting Jana in 2017. I'm not sure how he got into this conversation.

Was talking about it in J&A and Mod made a general comment about off-topic posts there.  I felt it had the potential to get off topic so moved it here.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, cjmmytunes said:

Was talking about it in J&A and Mod made a general comment about off-topic posts there.  I felt it had the potential to get off topic so moved it here.

That's what I thought, but can you explain why he was mentioned in the first place? Has he been hanging with the Duggars lately? ETA: I scanned back through that topic and didn't see the context in which he was first mentioned. Just curious. Thanks.

Edited by Jeeves
2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

That's what I thought, but can you explain why he was mentioned in the first place? Has he been hanging with the Duggars lately?

Someone mentioned that he had been arrested for getting a minor pregnant and is now trying for custody or visitation without having seen said child because he feels said child could be damaged without "father-type" contact from him.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, cjmmytunes said:

Someone mentioned that he had been arrested for getting a minor pregnant and is now trying for custody or visitation without having seen said child because he feels said child could be damaged without "father-type" contact from him.

Oh, so just a random guy who once knew the Duggars. Got it. 

Edited by Jeeves
4 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Is Caleb the one that did the YouTube video?  He had gotten in a fight with his brother and his face was beat up?

No. That was Jacob Wilson.

• Useful 1

I’ve been looking online for gas availability in various counties today and it’s not good.  Even if you find a station with gas, the line is a mile long and I’m not exaggerating.  Man, I hope this improves very soon.  I don’t think I’ll go to church tomorrow.....saving gas.  And, wouldn’t you know that the grocery store clerk failed to put my chicken in my bag yesterday.  The plan was to get all I needed for the weekend when I stopped at the store, so I wouldn’t need to drive this weekend.  I did get my salad ingredients, pasta and wine! I’m making do.  It’s not worth it to dive to the grocery store just for chicken. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, cjmmytunes said:

Last name for Caleb?  And I wonder if he got permission from his PO to go to wherever he went on 1/6/21?

I believe Caleb Williams flew on the Duggar plane to the Reformers United or whatever that place was called that josh went to after the ashley madison news. If I remember correctly he was shown carrying Josh shirts on hangers from the plane or something. Can't find a pic so maybe I am mis remembering there

https://fundamentalists.fandom.com/wiki/Caleb_Williams

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/2790302/jana-duggar-ex-caleb-williams-sex-abuse-victim-custody/

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been looking online for gas availability in various counties today and it’s not good.  Even if you find a station with gas, the line is a mile long and I’m not exaggerating.  Man, I hope this improves very soon.  I don’t think I’ll go to church tomorrow.....saving gas.  And, wouldn’t you know that the grocery store clerk failed to put my chicken in my bag yesterday.  The plan was to get all I needed for the weekend when I stopped at the store, so I wouldn’t need to drive this weekend.  I did get my salad ingredients, pasta and wine! I’m making do.  It’s not worth it to dive to the grocery store just for chicken. 

@SunnyBeBe, I live in the same area of NC as you and my husband used Gas Buddy to find gas stations that had gas.  He was able to find some at our local Eagle station.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, catwonc said:

@SunnyBeBe, I live in the same area of NC as you and my husband used Gas Buddy to find gas stations that had gas.  He was able to find some at our local Eagle station.

Ok, Thanks! I was looking at the locator on WRAL.  When he arrived was there a long line? I’m afraid of waiting in line for an hour and then they give out before I get mine.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ok, Thanks! I was looking at the locator on WRAL.  When he arrived was there a long line? I’m afraid of waiting in line for an hour and then they give out before I get mine.  

I’m near your area and that happened to a friend of mine. Waited in line for a hour and then they ran out 1 car ahead of her. She was so disappointed. All that lost time and no results. I’m eating out of the freezer as I’m trying to save gas too. They said it might take 2 weeks here to get back to normal. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

She was a minor, yes.

yes the girl caleb got pregnant was under age and her parents got a restraining order against caleb

Edited by sue450
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'll continue to where masks indoors for the foreseeable future. My feeling is we'll see some minor increases in cases in the next couple of months, but many more by August. The heat is going to force more folks inside and many of them will be unmasked and unvaccinated. I do think by next Spring everything will be back to normal, because by then the anti-vaxxers will probably have gotten immunity and more folks will be vaxxed.

My immediate family is one second dose away from being fully vaxxed. At least we as a family will be able to gather safely. And areas of New England are nearing 70% vaxxed.

My hope is everything feels safe sooner, maybe even this year. Fingers crossed.

I’ll probably continue to wear my mask inside most places I go for a while longer.  Some of our stores are continuing with masks requirement, which is fine with me.  I don’t know how long my immunity will last...plus, I don’t want even a mild case of covid.   I’ll take things slow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, catwonc said:

SunnyBeBe, no there was no line, but the only octane available was 87. 

Any car will run fine on that, even if it usually gets a different octane. 

Hope the gas situation gets sorted soon. My heart goes out to all of you affected. 

I'm fully vaxxed and so is my husband. We're going to continue to wear our masks as we have been for the time being.  

• Love 11
8 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

Not good. 🙁 As of yesterday I'm hearing a lot of, "vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask anymore" that apparently came from the CDC? I admittedly haven't researched a lot of what has been changing in the last few days to verify what exactly has been changed legally in my state vs. just recommended as I just haven't had the mental energy to deal with it yet. The problem in my mind with the idea of mask restrictions being lifted for the vaccinated is...how do you know if someone has really been vaccinated? The people who will refuse the vaccine without a medically viable reason to do so don't seem to be the type who would willingly choose to wear a mask anywhere if it's not an absolute requirement. My state is not at herd-immunity levels of vaccination yet so I vehemently disagree with lifting mask requirements for all until we hit that point. What incentive is there for continued vaccination so we can hit that herd immunity if restrictions just get lifted for everyone before we're there? I have two children well under age 12 and after everything I have done to protect them from Covid this year, it's disheartening to me that we seem to be ready to throw away all protections that could continue to keep them safe until they can hopefully be vaccinated. I want them back in in-person school next year, but if there's no masking rules and also no way for me to know if the adults around them are vaccinated, or if the children sitting next to them come from vaccinated households, that makes me feel like all precautions done this year were for naught. 

I was also told yesterday I have to go back to full in person work at my office in one week. This after they made a big deal over how they would give us at least two weeks' notice or more on coming back, and would bring us back gradually in groups, part time, and so on. Yeah, right...the second they got a legal okay to bring everyone back, all that went out the window. I love working from home and have done so successfully for over a year now, as have many others, and now....no choice, no say, just an executive "we think it's better for everyone to be in the office so everyone has to be here, now." It's very disheartening.

Why is it “better” for everyone to be in the office? I hate these employers who feel the need to micromanage and “babysit” their employees. 

• Love 10