Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Quick question what is the oldest pet you have or had in your lifetime?

I'll go first I have a POMERANIAN who is 21 years old and the reason why I am sure of pik pike's age is my stepmother raised and bred poms and I got him when she moved to Florida 16 years ago and he was 5 years old. 

Our oldest pet was our cat, Meices, who made it to just a hair under 18 years old. Here she is on the left, at about 15 years old, with Onyx, who remains with us, and is now about 14 himself. Our other furbabies are 15 and 12, so I guess we have a houseful of seniors!

470997_10150963329507778_1930223615_o.jpg

• Love 16
17 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Quick question what is the oldest pet you have or had in your lifetime?

My doxies are 8 years old. They're the only pets I've ever had. Mr InND had a Golden Retriever that lived to be 18. 

• Love 9

The oldest pet I can remember is the cat my 6th grade boyfriend gave me for my birthday. She died at age 12, the same year my 2nd child was born. My kids' childhood dog, a cocker spaniel, unfortunately only lived 10 years. Our current (grand)dog is around 10 years old.

How many of you already had pets when your kids were born? And which adjusts better, cats or dogs?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 7

My longest-lived pet was my cat Louis Arthur.  He was my first pet as an adult on my own.  I got him when he was around 7 weeks old (per the vet) and he lived 18.5 years.  Diabetes got the best of him (euthanized 2.5 years ago).

He was the best gentleman cat ever.  I still miss him.  Sigh.

• Love 10

How many of you already had pets when your kids were born? And which adjusts better, cats or dogs?

‐‐------‐-------------------------

I don't have kids so I shouldn't comment, but I can't imagine having a baby or toddler and a puppy or kitten. I think I'd lose my mind, lol.

*Stupid quote function isn't working on my phone today. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

How many of you already had pets when your kids were born? And which adjusts better, cats or dogs?

‐‐------‐-------------------------

I don't have kids so I shouldn't comment, but I can't imagine having a baby or toddler and a puppy or kitten. I think I'd lose my mind, lol.

*Stupid quote function isn't working on my phone today. 

My friend's daughter had committed to a cat not knowing she was pregnant. She ended up with a very spunky kitten and a newborn. She actually felt bad for the kitten at first because she couldn't give it the attention she deserved. All is good now - she has has three girls, the 3 year old cat, 3 year old firstborn and a one year old.

• Love 4

We had a small dog before we had kids. He was fine with #1 but #2 put him over the edge. He was 12 by the time #2 was a toddler and snapped at her. Scared her but no actual bite, we had to rehome him with adult only home. After a couple years we got a Lab who was very easy going. She lived until she was 15 and both kids were away at college. She was a perfect dog for growing kids as well as great crumbs on the floor cleaner. Then came Ozzie, who is now 13 and very spoiled. Adult children accuse us of not treating him like a dog, lol. Never had a cat, so can’t compare, but I feel growing up with a dog was good for my kids.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My friend's daughter had committed to a cat not knowing she was pregnant. She ended up with a very spunky kitten and a newborn. She actually felt bad for the kitten at first because she couldn't give it the attention she deserved. All is good now - she has has three girls, the 3 year old cat, 3 year old firstborn and a one year old.

Does she have 3 kids or 2 kids and a cat?

27 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

We had a small dog before we had kids. He was fine with #1 but #2 put him over the edge. He was 12 by the time #2 was a toddler and snapped at her. Scared her but no actual bite, we had to rehome him with adult only home. After a couple years we got a Lab who was very easy going. She lived until she was 15 and both kids were away at college. She was a perfect dog for growing kids as well as great crumbs on the floor cleaner. Then came Ozzie, who is now 13 and very spoiled. Adult children accuse us of not treating him like a dog, lol. Never had a cat, so can’t compare, but I feel growing up with a dog was good for my kids.

Ozzie is your dog????  I've always assumed Ozzie was your (human) son, strictly based on your username.  🙃😅😂

• LOL 8
Just now, CouchTater said:

Ozzie is your dog????  I've always assumed Ozzie was your (human) son, strictly based on your username.  🙃😅😂

Yup. Another reason actual human children are slightly jealous, lol.

• LOL 15

My oldest pet was a cat, Mitty, age 21.  I raised her from an unweaned infant, literally fed formula off my hand and ran warm water over her little behind, to simulate momma cat licking babies to eliminate.  She was very, very bonded to me.  I also had Monty, who made it to 20 and I've had cats to 17, 18 & 19.  My oldest dog was Toto, a Cairn Terrier, aged 16.

I have young kitties now - Loki and Freya are 1 year 5 months and they are still wacky adolescents.  My Australian Shepard, Sushka, just turned 8 and is very youthful.  I think the breed is long-lived.

The last couple of years I lost several kitties and a dog and hope this group will be with me a long time.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

How many of you already had pets when your kids were born? And which adjusts better, cats or dogs?

I had already adopted my dog when I met my husband so he was around when our oldest was born. He's always been very mellow, so he adjusted to her pretty well. A little jealous of someone else getting attention but was never aggressive about it. He'd come lay down next to her if she was getting attention. 

We got our first cat when our daughter was about 9 months old. We had no intention of getting a cat, but friends found her as a stray kitten and (long story short) she ended up with us. They were great playmates which was hilarious to watch. 

The cat was not so pleased when our next daughter came along a couple years later. I think she forgot how loud babies can cry. She gave the baby a lot of space and didn't really come near her till she was mobile and able to come to the cat. The dog adjusted fine again. 

We worked hard with the girls on "nice pets" and teaching them to stroke open handed rather than grab fur, which I think helped. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

We had our doxies when our twins were born. The dogs thought they were puppies, and were extremely protective of them. Still are. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I had both and one of my cats thought that he was the mother of my first child he just had to whimper and he ran to see what happened and always gave my son the look that it is bedtime and until we had to send him over the rainbow bridge he kept giving him the eye about 9PM bedtime and he was in high school. To this day my son still calls me a cat killer ☹ the cat was more than a pet to him he was his brother. 

31 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

We had our doxies when our twins were born. The dogs thought they were puppies, and were extremely protective of them. Still are. 

Did you get the doxies at the same time? Kind of funny if you got twin puppies and then twin babies soon after! 😆

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

Did you get the doxies at the same time? Kind of funny if you got twin puppies and then twin babies soon after! 😆

We did! They are brother and sister. Their original owners were PCSing to Japan, and didn't want to take them. They were going to take them to the pound. So we adopted them instead. We had no idea what we were doing. 🤣  Our son was 3, and then we got the dogs, who were 2, and the twins came 2 years later. A full house with a 5 year old, 2 dogs, and newborn twins. And a husband who got deployed when the twins were 3 weeks old. Fun. 🤣

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

We did! They are brother and sister. Their original owners were PCSing to Japan, and didn't want to take them. They were going to take them to the pound. So we adopted them instead. We had no idea what we were doing. 🤣  Our son was 3, and then we got the dogs, who were 2, and the twins came 2 years later. A full house with a 5 year old, 2 dogs, and newborn twins. And a husband who got deployed when the twins were 3 weeks old. Fun. 🤣

I'm guessing you survived on coffee and sheer adrenaline until your husband was home again! 😆

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'm guessing you survived on coffee and sheer adrenaline until your husband was home again! 😆

Pretty much! I was mainlining coffee. Sleep was irrelevant. 🤣 Fortunately, my son was a super helpful 5 year old, and loved helping with the twins. My MIL came and helped for a time too. But it was harrowing. I can't believe they will be 6 on Monday. 😳

• Love 12
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

He looks like my Harry, and I miss him so much.  Blake is a very handsome cat!

Thank you. He has such an intense stare but he was happy to here, or trust he would’ve left!

• Love 7

Just some sort of anecdotal evidence that you never can tell with animals...My daughter got a kitten shortly after she met her now-husband around 11 or 12 years ago. This feline was widely known as the Demon Kitty. She hated everyone, even Mr Jyn and my sons, who are complete cat-whisperers. Even my daughter, whom she loved (or, let's say, tolerated) more than any other human on the planet had her fair share of shredded arms and fingers from those times when Lilu was just not in the mood to put up with human interaction. Even the vet gave up on yearly checkups because he was afraid she would go into cardiac arrest, given the absolute terror she went into when she had to go in to get spayed. They basically said, "if she looks as though she's dying, bring her in, but otherwise it's probably just as safe to just give her her space" (she's strictly indoor). She barely tolerated my son-in-law. 

We sort of wondered what would happen when and if my daughter had kids, as it seemed a really risky proposition to have this cat anywhere around an infant. But oddly enough, she has settled down so much since my granddaughter arrived (granted, she was more or less going on 9 by then), and has never shown any sign of aggression toward her, though she is still just as likely to  swat most random people who get too close to her. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Suzn said:

My oldest pet was a cat, Mitty, age 21.  I raised her from an unweaned infant, literally fed formula off my hand and ran warm water over her little behind, to simulate momma cat licking babies to eliminate.  She was very, very bonded to me.

That was our Hillary, Ursula, and Zoe. We took them in when they were three weeks old and fed them formula from syringes, had to stimulate them, I taught Ursula to eat from a plate and she taught her sisters. We were all five of us very bonded and after we lost Ursula and Zoe when they were 15+/-, Hillary and I were absolutely inseparable for four more years.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 20
12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just some sort of anecdotal evidence that you never can tell with animals...My daughter got a kitten shortly after she met her now-husband around 11 or 12 years ago. This feline was widely known as the Demon Kitty. She hated everyone, even Mr Jyn and my sons, who are complete cat-whisperers. Even my daughter, whom she loved (or, let's say, tolerated) more than any other human on the planet had her fair share of shredded arms and fingers from those times when Lilu was just not in the mood to put up with human interaction. Even the vet gave up on yearly checkups because he was afraid she would go into cardiac arrest, given the absolute terror she went into when she had to go in to get spayed. They basically said, "if she looks as though she's dying, bring her in, but otherwise it's probably just as safe to just give her her space" (she's strictly indoor). She barely tolerated my son-in-law. 

We sort of wondered what would happen when and if my daughter had kids, as it seemed a really risky proposition to have this cat anywhere around an infant. But oddly enough, she has settled down so much since my granddaughter arrived (granted, she was more or less going on 9 by then), and has never shown any sign of aggression toward her, though she is still just as likely to  swat most random people who get too close to her. 

This made me think of this meme

image.thumb.jpeg.2b701ecaddc2cb6f9a6216f740badc93.jpeg

• LOL 21
  • Love 1

We've had 2 dogs make it to 12 yo. Our first dog came to us as an adult and we were never sure how old he was. We've also had 2 dogs die of cancer when they should have had years of life ahead of them. 😔 Our cat is 16, so he's winning the longest living pet at our house. It is so sad when they go, but I have to say that letting an elderly pet go is far preferable to having to let a young, sick one go. The saddest thing about dogs and cats is that they don't live as long as we'd like! 

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Happy news Sunday: 

I’m tired of people asking me to live with me rent free/give them $$$. I am not your baby daddy. 

How is this happy news?   If you're tired of it, it doesn't sound like it makes you happy.

Happy news Sunday.  The Indians finally beat the Yankees today, the sun is out, went out to a nice lunch with one of my sisters.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

This made me think of this meme

image.thumb.jpeg.2b701ecaddc2cb6f9a6216f740badc93.jpeg

This reminds me of  something I saw at the vet's office one day.  I was there with my very well-behaved, sweet cat.  There was a family in the waiting room--dad, mom, and a son who was maybe 10 years old.  They had a cat in a carrier.  The son had large, deep scratches on his face and hands.  When it was their turn, the dad took the cat in the carrier in to see the doctor.  After a few minutes we heard yelling and screaming, and then the dad came out with his hand all bandaged and his face scratched.  They were laughing and thought it was cute.  I love my cats, but I would not have an "attack cat" under any circumstances, especially when it was obviously attacking children and other people.  There are too many sweet babies sitting at the shelter needing a home.  This cat apparently was not a "people cat".

My long haired dachshund, Sammie (Samantha) is 15 and declining now. We see the vet tomorrow to determine if she will continue medications started last month. She is a great dog and every day with her is a blessing.  In her prime: image.png.4d755a235727513b9086651e29c2feea.png She is gray  now and has lost weight, but on her good days I still see her strong personality shine through.

• Love 18

Happy news Sunday: after rain all day yesterday, it was sunny today. Mr Turquoise and I cleaned the main floor of our new house, mentally placed our furniture (movers come next weekend) and unpacked and put away some kitchen stuff.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Happy news Sunday: 

I’m tired of people asking me to live with me rent free/give them $$$. I am not your baby daddy. 

No you’re not. And the good news is that you are continuing to stick up for yourself. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Good news Sunday. Just made and ate one of my comfort foods - Shepherd's Pie. Yum

@GeeGolly:  Shepherd’s pie is one of my favorites, too!  I use beef, the very tiny frozen peas, onions, some beef stock, and chopped fresh carrots.  Besides salt, pepper and garlic powder, I also season with Worcestershire sauce.  I have been known to put tater tots from Trader Joe’s on top instead of mashed potatoes.  It is quite yummy. 
I may now have to make it this week......

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, marypat57 said:

@GeeGolly:  Shepherd’s pie is one of my favorites, too!  I use beef, the very tiny frozen peas, onions, some beef stock, and chopped fresh carrots.  Besides salt, pepper and garlic powder, I also season with Worcestershire sauce.  I have been known to put tater tots from Trader Joe’s on top instead of mashed potatoes.  It is quite yummy. 
I may now have to make it this week......

Your recipe sounds tasty! 

I find little to no enjoyment in preparing meals so my Shepherd's Pie is very basic. I season the ground beef and mashed potatoes and add corn. Depending on my mood, I won't even bake it. 

Now ask me to tile a backsplash or replace a floor, I'm all in and then very much enjoy being in the kitchen. 🧰🙃

• Love 5

Sorry to keep blasting in ST, but this is procrastination in motion. 

Can they please get rid of the side bar stats?! Every time I see it flash by that I've been on here for 7 years, I get an embarrassing pit in my stomach. This fact is not something I want to be reminded of daily. 😬💻📅⏲️

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Can they please get rid of the side bar stats?! Every time I see it flash by that I've been on here for 7 years, I get an embarrassing pit in my stomach. This fact is not something I want to be reminded of daily. 😬💻📅⏲️

I hear you!!

64560106-9F28-45E1-A069-242371AD925F.jpeg

• LOL 6
53 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh lord if I ever lose my computer/access to internet, I don't know that I would know how to procrastinate anymore.

@rue721, I am no longer a mod here. I was more explaining the limitations and constraints that a volunteer mod team is dealing with. There is just no way they can verify each post or poster. And really, the best the way to handle is to either use the Ignore feature (or skim past/not read posts that discuss) or keep asking questions. No attacking, no accusing, just asking for clarification type of thing. I did it a while ago and the poster was in a bit of a snit about it but hasn't returned. (And I have a feeling that was a wanderwoman account). There is no tech way to isolate posters and ban them. (Ask me how I know after having to hit one poster who kept coming back using my handle and the word c*** for their handle. It was sooooo much fun). But yeah I can say that I'm the mayor of Whoville and there's an elephant carrying us around and that's not a post or poster that is going to be punished. But other posters are more than welcome to roll their eyes and ignore or ask, "Is your name Dr. Seuss by any chance?" I'm more of an ignore person and I don't post much at all because of the old habit of not engaging that much as a mod even though I'm not anymore, I still feel weird about it.

And frankly if the criteria is that no liars are allowed for it to be a safe place than there is no safe place anywhere be it real life or virtual. That is way too high a bar, most especially for a site that is supposed to be about television. 

This is the only forum that I keep reading even though I have never watched an episode. Working with other mods on this forum and trying to help foster a community was very rewarding. So much that I still check in here because I do find this to be one of the best on Primetimer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18