Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I had the bright idea to get a straw and put some water down his throat. He seemed receptive to that, but he won’t get up. His head moved and his legs moved but nothing. 

I just need to listen to my instincts about what’s best, but I don’t want him so stressed out at the vet in his last minutes nor do I want him to die from dehydration. Ugh this is hard. 

I believe that your beautiful boy feels your love and knows you're trying to do everything you can to make him comfortable.  You are doing a great job.  I'm sorry it's so hard.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, wilsie said:

I believe that your beautiful boy feels your love and knows you're trying to do everything you can to make him comfortable.  You are doing a great job.  I'm sorry it's so hard.

@Scarlett45, what @wilsie said. It's Just the hardest thing, and it hurts. 

• Love 7
(edited)

He may just be fading out comfortably...I hope so. You could call your vet and ask? They’d probably suggest subcutaneous fluids for him, but that means taking him in. You can also try low-sodium chicken broth, tuna juice or diluted milk to see if he’ll drink that?

Do his rear legs move?

Was he drinking more than usual and urinating more lately? Lots of old kitties have kidney disease.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, magpye29 said:

My MIL told me today that my future ex-husband thinks the whole Covid thing is a hoax.

On the health front, I've started taking vitamin D so looking forward to seeing if that helps me feel better.  I think I mentioned that I persuaded my doctor to take me off metformin because it was making me vomit every time I took it?  I mean, to the point where just thinking about taking it made the gorge rise.  Well, turns out there was a recall on it on the Naval Station, which I only found out about when I called the pharmacy refill line to get insulin and stuff.  I knew there was something wrong, because I'd been taking it for years with no issues, but I thought I had simply developed an allergy to it.

@PikaScrewChu, I feel your pain.  My future ex was gaslighting me, I think, trying to convince me I was crazy and he and my daughter (who was a teenager at the time) threatened to take me to the psych ward at the army hospital, but I called my aunt (who is now my landlady) and she gave them holy hell.  I had wanted to get away from them because they were badgering me about stuff, and I said I was going to go out the window because they were blocking the stairs, so my husband got the ASININE idea that I was going to throw myself off the roof below my second story window and was going to have me put on suicide watch for my mental problems.  He still plays little mind games on me, like telling me my new glasses made me look a little cross-eyed, or saying that it doesn't make sense for me to be getting my masters in education at my age (I just turned 60 last week), even though I've explained to him that switching jobs from parapro to teacher will more than double my salary.  He says, "Well, if that's what you tell yourself..."  All he has to do is check the school website and he'd see that I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air, but he prefers to say stuff like, "Don't be in a rush to do something with your life" in a sarcastic tone.  It makes me feel angry and defiant, and I really need to lose the need to prove to him that I'm not a waste of human flesh.  And to have stayed faithful to him through numerous deployments, military operations and training, and unaccompanied tours to Korea, only to find out he was cheating on me really hurt and angered me.

Whew, got that off my chest!

Jeez what a prize 🙄. I’m glad he is out of your life!

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

He may just be fading out comfortably...I hope so. You could call your vet and ask? They’d probably suggest subcutaneous fluids for him, but that means taking him in. You can also try low-sodium chicken broth, tuna juice or diluted milk to see if he’ll drink that?

Do his rear legs move?

When we lost out 18-year old cat a few years ago, she went through a similar stretch. We had taken her to the vet a few weeks beforehand to see whether he thought it would be better to euthanize her or give her a little more time. Her kidneys were obviously giving out, and she was down to barely five pounds, but he gave her some IV fluid and some feeding suggestions (sardines and such - the smellier the better). She did rally somewhat for a short time, but spent her last four or five days on a blanket in the back bedroom. She still appeared to appreciate attention, and didn't seem to be suffering as much as just fading away, so we let her be until she faded out. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Do his rear legs move?

Was he drinking more than usual and urinating more lately? Lots of old kitties have kidney disease.

I did call my vet, he got some fluids after his last appointment, but a life of fluids everyday is no life. 

No his legs aren’t moving. I can see if my Mom has chicken broth downstairs (I’m a vegetarian). Last year (no actually 2018) he was diagnosed with kidney disease and has been on the special diet. In the last month or so he’s been still going to the litter box but sometimes he didn’t make it (no problem I mopped it up right away- yay for work from home) but since yesterday he has not gotten up from the pillow. He did have a bowel movement and he urinated, I wiped him down and clean the floor and put him back on his pillow. 

13 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

When we lost out 18-year old cat a few years ago, she went through a similar stretch. We had taken her to the vet a few weeks beforehand to see whether he thought it would be better to euthanize her or give her a little more time. Her kidneys were obviously giving out, and she was down to barely five pounds, but he gave her some IV fluid and some feeding suggestions (sardines and such - the smellier the better). She did rally somewhat for a short time, but spent her last four or five days on a blanket in the back bedroom. She still appeared to appreciate attention, and didn't seem to be suffering as much as just fading away, so we let her be until she faded out. 

I’m hoping Mr Norris goes like that- but I don’t know if my heart can take 5 more days of this. I am going to sit with him today and tomorrow and keep doing the straw trick and see what happens. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve decided I’m taking him to be euthanized Saturday, unless he dies before then. 

I am so, so sorry. I have been there, and I am crying for you. Please know he knows how much you love him, and he will always be with you. HUGS! 

• Love 14

I’ve had three kidney kitties of my own and I was a vet tech so we saw quite a few. I did the subcu fluids at home for my own and it might have bought some time...how high quality that time was I can’t really say. At some point, I was doing it more for me than for them, probably.

FWIW, kidney failure doesn’t seem to be terribly painful in cats. If he’s not panting, vomiting, moving restlessly or vocalizing, he’s probably not in real distress. 

You know your boy. If he’s in pain, take him in, but if he’s resting comfortably, please trust your judgment. Dying at home is what I think most of us would prefer and cats in particular are so home-oriented.

He knows you’re there for him. 

Big hug.

• Love 21
7 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

FWIW, kidney failure doesn’t seem to be terribly painful in cats. If he’s not panting, vomiting, moving restlessly or vocalizing, he’s probably not in real distress. 

You know your boy. If he’s in pain, take him in, but if he’s resting comfortably, please trust your judgment. Dying at home is what I think most of us would prefer and cats in particular are so home-oriented.

He knows you’re there for him. 

Big hug.

Thank you. I think he’s comfy. 

• Love 17
On 6/22/2020 at 10:00 AM, doodlebug said:

Wow!  My mom would be so excited!  I spent many a summer vacation in Indiana, PA.  Used to go to the movies on Philadelphia Street.  Also Mass at the church there.   My aunt and uncle lived on S. 4th on the edge of town.  I have even seen Stewart's Hardware although I am pretty sure it is no more.  My mom used to tell us how, when she was a little girl, Mr. Stewart displayed his boy Jimmy's Oscar in the window for all to see.  I have even been to the Jimmy Stewart Airport which I know probably makes you jealous. 

My uncle was a coal miner who owned a piece of the family farm out in Shelocta where he raised Christmas trees on the side (that area was known as the Christmas tree capital of the US).  My older sister and I used to join my cousins out there trimming trees in the hot summer sun.  We'd have to wear jeans and long sleeves because the sap was so irritating.  Good times.  We cut our own tree at Thanksgiving and took it back to Cleveland more than once.  My cousin, who was also a miner until the mines closed, built his home on the family farm and raised Christmas trees too, until his kids were out of college.  Needless to say, neither one of his kids stayed on the farm.

A few years back, two of my sisters and I went back for a visit and my cousin took us around to a bunch of little church cemeteries looking for family graves.  We were most excited to find the grave of my great-great grandfather who served in the Union Army in the Civil War and told my grandfather how he voted in his first presidential election on the battlefield as they passed the ballots and a pencil down the line.  He voted for Lincoln.  First election allowing absentee ballots to be cast.

This is sad (and a little embarrassing), but I was never at the JS Airport.  Lived there for 22 years too.  I believe the the theater on Philly Street is still open, pre-covid days.  I had family that lived in Shelocta for a time.  It seems like every other family in that area had a tree farm.  We haven't been up since Thanksgiving since I host Christmas down here.  I can safely say Bville isn't the same town it once was.  It was a great place to grow up, but there's so much drug activity now.  It was definitely one of those towns that everyone knew what you did before you did it and probably told your parents too.  Mr. Six's parents lived in the area for many years, but they were 'transplants', so they really weren't known.  My parents, on the other hand, everyone and their brother knew them.  I was on a very short leash as a kid!

Scarlett-I am so sorry to hear about Mr. Norris.  You will be in my thoughts.  I wish you both peace in the coming days.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did call my vet, he got some fluids after his last appointment, but a life of fluids everyday is no life. 

No his legs aren’t moving. I can see if my Mom has chicken broth downstairs (I’m a vegetarian). Last year (no actually 2018) he was diagnosed with kidney disease and has been on the special diet. In the last month or so he’s been still going to the litter box but sometimes he didn’t make it (no problem I mopped it up right away- yay for work from home) but since yesterday he has not gotten up from the pillow. He did have a bowel movement and he urinated, I wiped him down and clean the floor and put him back on his pillow. 

I’m hoping Mr Norris goes like that- but I don’t know if my heart can take 5 more days of this. I am going to sit with him today and tomorrow and keep doing the straw trick and see what happens. 

My condolences. It's hard to lose a beloved pet. Especially right now. 😞

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you. I think he’s comfy. 

Oh, @scarlett45, I am so sorry. For your sake and his sake, I hope he passes peacefully at home but please believe that you will know the right thing to do.

• Love 6

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I know you'll do what's best for Mr. Norris, and I know he feels your love.  I'm keeping you in my prayers that he will have an easy, pain-free passing.

• Love 6

Taking my off topic response from Jessa’s thread:

I am born and raised in the South, and as were my parents. I have no accent with the exception of a few words.

Pecan is one 😉 Neither of my parents say “pee-can” but somehow I picked it up. It extends to two other words. On Fridays I take out the “ree-cycle.” I take care not to walk my dog on the hot “cee-ment.” In both cases I say the verb version correctly, but I have a drawl come out of nowhere it for the noun. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The other words that give me away, and I don’t know where I got this from, are “Antlanta” and the “Antlantic” ocean.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Mr Norris is still with us. He made it six inches off the pillow, soiled himself, I cleaned him up and gave him a clean towel, some water with a straw. 

Im going to make the Appt for tomorrow morning. 

46944CC3-1064-4FF6-A4CF-D1F27327AE10.jpeg

• Love 8

Mr Norris is still with us. He made it six inches off the pillow, soiled himself, I cleaned him up and gave him a clean towel, some water with a straw. 

Im going to make the Appt for tomorrow morning. 

46944CC3-1064-4FF6-A4CF-D1F27327AE10.jpeg

I'm so sorry.  It know it's painful. I've had to do it twice and each time it was very emotional, but, I knew it was right in my heart.  Sending hugs your way. 

• Love 8

@Scarlett45 Letting a beloved pet go is one of the hardest and most loving things we get to do for our furry people.  I hope you feel great love, strength and peace.   Like BetyBee said you are a great kitty mama.

• Love 8

So the vet tech needs better bedside manner. 

“We haven’t seen him in a while, so we have to schedule an exam and if the vet decides that’s best we can go ahead.”

Look lady I don’t expect the vet to euthanize a healthy pet on my say so!! (Yes I know I’m sensitive right now, I didn’t snap I just said “okay I understand”). 

94F72E1B-48BF-42A8-96EB-ACE1BFF7ABAC.jpeg

Scarlett I don't often post but your photos of Mr. Norris have moved me so.  You are the best.  I too lost a sweet old kitty in a similar way.  Walter was diabetic for many years but didn't seem to mind the insulin shots and even bore patiently my testing his blood sugar by pricking a vein in his ear.  He was the sweetesr guy.  Finally faded into old age and weight loss from advanced kidney disease.  He spent his last week or so on a pillow much as Mr. Norris is, with me bringing tidbits of food to him there. One day I just knew he was going and I called the vet in tears. I will never forget her care and kindness - We were shut down with a blizzard, my little street hadn't been plowed, but she and her vet tech drove through the storm to a major street nearby that had been plowed and waded the 2 blocks to my house through the snow!  Walter was put gently over the rainbow bridge on his pillow which we placed on the kitchen table under a warm lamp. He turned his face toward that warmth and I held him as he died.

I hope your dear boy goes as gently. All my sympathy to you.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, graybrown bird said:

Scarlett I don't often post but your photos of Mr. Norris have moved me so.  You are the best.  I too lost a sweet old kitty in a similar way.  Walter was diabetic for many years but didn't seem to mind the insulin shots and even bore patiently my testing his blood sugar by pricking a vein in his ear.  He was the sweetesr guy.  Finally faded into old age and weight loss from advanced kidney disease.  He spent his last week or so on a pillow much as Mr. Norris is, with me bringing tidbits of food to him there. One day I just knew he was going and I called the vet in tears. I will never forget her care and kindness - We were shut down with a blizzard, my little street hadn't been plowed, but she and her vet tech drove through the storm to a major street nearby that had been plowed and waded the 2 blocks to my house through the snow!  Walter was put gently over the rainbow bridge on his pillow which we placed on the kitchen table under a warm lamp. He turned his face toward that warmth and I held him as he died.

You are an awesome feline Momma. 

Everyone’s words have been such a comfort during this time. I know I’m going to be a mess when he goes but I know he’s had a wonderful kitty life. 

• Love 16

Scarlett, I’m really sorry about that tech. There are some who enjoy being officious. I can also tell you that if the practice is under financial pressure, what that really means is “we’re going to charge you an exam fee, too.”

My profound hope is that your sweet guy moves on quietly at home with you.

Have another hug.

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Scarlett, I’m really sorry about that tech. There are some who enjoy being officious. I can also tell you that if the practice is under financial pressure, what that really means is “we’re going to charge you an exam fee, too.”

My profound hope is that your sweet guy moves on quietly at home with you.

Have another hug.

I have no problem paying the vets fee. I fully understand everything cost money and they deserve to be paid for their services. 

I didn’t appreciate “if the vet agrees”- like I’m trying to kill my 20years old cat who’s been a patient of your for years just because I’m sick of him. Like I haven't been looking at him for DAYS and watched his decline. Of course the vet has to agree!

Yes, that was bullshit. I’m really sorry. She should know how awful that phone call is to make and be kind.

I would bring it up with your vet at some point when you’re feeling up to it. That’s unacceptable.

• Love 14

“We haven’t seen him in a while, so we have to schedule an exam and if the vet decides that’s best we can go ahead.”

Look lady I don’t expect the vet to euthanize a healthy pet on my say so!! (Yes I know I’m sensitive right now, I didn’t snap I just said “okay I understand”). 

Scarlett, I've been through this twice in the last 7 years, most recently 2 years ago.  My 2 fur babies were my only 2 children.  Oy.

Mr. Norris and you are in my prayers today.  You have done so well by him, and will continue to do so tomorrow.  I'm sending virtual hugs to you and snuggles to Mr. Norris.  Bless you both.

• Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

It was inexcusable for you to be treated that way.  Of course they do an exam, but there doesn't need to be an accusatory attitude.  I'm sorry.  I'm hoping he lets go rather than have either of you go through going to the vet.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

That brought tears to my eyes. 

• Love 11
(edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, GeeGolly said:

Many of my friends have professional jobs where they come in contact with vulnerable folks. Most of them take the guidelines very seriously. A handful of them take precautions in the workplace and stores, but then get together with different folks socially, rarely following guidelines. That would be no big deal if the contagious period of covid was during the onset of symptoms. But its not.

I've thought about that, and it's concerning.  You can't blindly trust companies' signs or announcements about the measures they're taking, because it comes down to whether the individual employees are conscientiously living in that precautionary mindset among other people who are all doing the same.

As if the US doesn't have enough us-versus-them identity politics, now we're fracturing according to the cautious and the defiant.

Edited by Fastball
  • Love 11
38 minutes ago, Fastball said:

As if the US doesn't have enough us-versus-them identity politics, now we're fracturing according to the cautious and the defiant.

And the worst thing is, state and local governments are giving into the defiant.  The governor of my state has issued an executive order requiring people to wear masks out in public starting today at 5pm.  This was announced on Wednesday.  Multiple sheriffs offices and local PDs have said they have no intention of enforcing this.  The attorneys for the main city in my county "researched" this issue yesterday, and today decided that there is no way to enforce it.  Assholes who refuse to wear masks cannot be barred from my place of employment.  Legally, I know I can refuse them entry and provide other accommodations, but we are not going in that direction.  Just yesterday a man was protesting this order in my town walking down one of the main roads with 5 guns.  I fear for any business owner who wants to follow our governor's order and these assholes step into their business.  

57 minutes ago, Suzn said:

@Scarlett45, I am so sad for you and Mr Norris.  It brings up sad memories of two old kitties I lost last year that way and 2 more in the previous 2 years and Ashley Brown at 17 is starting to noticeably decline.

I hope it will not be offensive for me to tell of something happy.  In January I adopted 8 week old brother and sister kittens, Loki and Freya.  They are a joy.  They are now adolescents and when not sleeping and/or cuddling with me or each other, they are busy getting into kitten naughtiness - nothing is safe from them.

Kittens 042020-3.JPG

Your kitties are so cute! Of course it’s not offensive!!

I said when my home was empty I would start again when the time was right. Blake is still incredibly robust at 15 and may make it to 20 like Mr. Norris has done. 

I gave him his afternoon water, and he smells funny...rancid maybe? It’s not urine or feces or even bad breath. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Body odor is one sign of end-stage kidney failure. I also lost one of my old cats to liver failure and he also smelled strange toward the very end. It’s a result of the metabolic processes starting to wind down. It’s natural. Just so, so hard to watch. 

I wish I knew words that could make this easier for you...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 9

I'm unsure if posting the link to this would be okay with the Mods, so I just posted the title. If you Google the title below, you'll be brought to a short YouTube video. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Florida's Anti-Maskers Are Taking a Stand

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

I am optimistic that people will slowly come into compliance, because the deaths will eventually hit their homes and families. If they don't die, their family members will. 

I saw a story today where a family of 18 people got covid due to 7 of them gathering for a birthday party.  Those who attended, spread it to others.  There was video of them  celebrating in a small room, laughing, up close, NO MASKS.  Sorry, I feel for the kids, but, the adults who do that, have no sympathy from me.  They don't deserve to take an ICU unit over careful people. And, I feel for the innocent people who got it, even though, they didn't attend the party. 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/north-texas-family-shaken-after-18-relatives-test-positive-for-covid-19-following-surprise-birthday-party/287-ea8960ea-4c3c-40c1-b75e-f4437fe6f836

Also, in NC a sheriff or other law enforcement officer can be removed from office by order of a Superior Court Judge in their county if they refuse to do their job.  So, if they want to forego their duties, then, they can be taken out.  Seems silly in light of losing their salary, benefits, etc. because they want to enable people to spread covid.  Makes me wonder are they really that arrogant or just plain stupid.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am optimistic that people will slowly come into compliance, because the deaths will eventually hit their homes and families. If they don't die, their family members will. 

I saw a story today where a family of 18 people got covid due to them gathering for a birthday party.  There was video of them all celebrating in a small room, laughing, dancing, NO MASKS.  Sorry, I feel for the kids, but, the adults who do that, have no sympathy from me.  They don't deserve to take an ICU unit over careful people. 

Also, in NC a sheriff or other law enforcement officer can be removed from office by order of a Superior Court Judge in their county if they refuse to do their job.  So, if they want to forego their duties, then, they can be taken out.  Seems silly in light of losing their salary, benefits, etc. because they want to enable people to spread covid.  Makes me wonder are they really that arrogant or just plain stupid.  

10 of the 19 sick family members did not attend the party. One of them is 80 years old.