Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, sometimes, a change of scenery is good. I have a friend who is very careful with restrictions, but, she felt she wanted to get her and her son out of their house.  So, she rented a cabin near a lake for about 4 days. Upon arrival they take everyone's temperature and ask questions about health.  They had kayaking, horseshoes, campfire, hiking, etc.  It was at a retreat resort in the mountains. They picked up their food in the cafeteria (all guests had to pickup. None allowed to eat in cafeteria) and brought it back to their cabin to dine. The place was cleaned well before their arrival.  They were able to stay far from others and enjoyed some fresh air and exercise. So, I think it is doable.  But, this place was only about a 30 minute drive from her house.  I hope you have a nice time. 

Oh, that getaway sounds so nice. 

• Love 2

Anxiety rules the world lately, I don't know a soul without it, specially my normally non-anxious spouse. Never have I seen him act the way he is with this virus, weird as I'm usually the one who 's anxiety is a little crazy-making. Me, I might or might not have eaten too many of those fiber one bars, the chocolate kind, sooooo yea my stomach isn't feeling fine. First thought COVID oh noes! No, just fiber. 

Then I had cake. I'm a bad influence on myself.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, sometimes, a change of scenery is good. I have a friend who is very careful with restrictions, but, she felt she wanted to get her and her son out of their house.  So, she rented a cabin near a lake for about 4 days. Upon arrival they take everyone's temperature and ask questions about health.  They had kayaking, horseshoes, campfire, hiking, etc.  It was at a retreat resort in the mountains. They picked up their food in the cafeteria (all guests had to pickup. None allowed to eat in cafeteria) and brought it back to their cabin to dine. The place was cleaned well before their arrival.  They were able to stay far from others and enjoyed some fresh air and exercise. So, I think it is doable.  But, this place was only about a 30 minute drive from her house.  I hope you have a nice time. 

That sounds lovely. I may plan a solo beach vacation in October at a condo my second aunt owns. I just want to get away from my house for a little bit and have something to look forward to. 

And yep, ear infection and mega dose of antibiotics for 10 days. My doctor's office was really well laid out and moved like a machine. This is the first time I've ever been seen on time instead of 15-20 minutes after my scheduled appointment. There was one crotchety old lady who felt the need to announce to the waiting room that she was "over all of this crap" (i.e., getting your temperature taken and waiting 6 feet apart). I think the entire office gave her the stink eye all at once and she shut up. 

• Love 16

@Scarlett45, Mr Norris sounds like sweet fellow and I love his name. He sounds a bit like my baby Emma, who was 22 when she passed. She had arthritis in her back legs and a little trouble with the box too. We bought a lot of puppy pads and had pet stairs all over the house. She took a small dose of gabapentin each day, which seemed to help her. I don’t think I will ever have a sweeter cat than Emma (although my new cat is trying her best).

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Unrelated to anything serious going on the world:

My cat Mr Norris is so old. Omg. I know he’s 20, which of course is old, but he moves so slowly and he has arthritis so I’m making sure I wipe him with cat wipes and get the snot out of his eyes. 

He does not have a UTI, he just sometimes doesn’t make it to the litter box (thank goodness for vinegar from Costco). 

Awww my baby man. 

@MargeGunderson beat me to it, I was going to say that we lost my love Hillary last year at more than 19 years old. We got puppy pads for her and put one down on the main floor on a silicone mat and she appreciated that a lot.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I seem to hit a wall every three days or so @Oldernowiser. I'm sorry this virus has muckied up your vacation. Hopefully the preparation is the worst of it and the drive and destination will be great.

I'm known as a bit of an oddball ...

Might I suggest you and your husband give yourselves names and make the drive an adventure of sorts. Captain Covid Killer and Bad-boy Bathroom Avoider. Magnificent Mastermind and Golden Goddess. Set mini missions throughout your drive, like make it 15 minutes without sighing or complaining, drive 10 minutes talking in song lyrics, or whatever.

I hope it turns into a low stress drive and a fun and relaxing vaca!

I hit a wall about once a week, too. I love love love your driving adventure idea.

2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Anxiety rules the world lately, I don't know a soul without it, specially my normally non-anxious spouse. Never have I seen him act the way he is with this virus, weird as I'm usually the one who 's anxiety is a little crazy-making. Me, I might or might not have eaten too many of those fiber one bars, the chocolate kind, sooooo yea my stomach isn't feeling fine. First thought COVID oh noes! No, just fiber. 

Hehehe. I am also a bad influence on myself. My best friend lives nearby and throughout this pandemic, we've been having driveway 6 feet-apart masked meet-ups to exchange care packages. I've given homemade bread, pickles (homemade and not), restaurant gift cards, lots and lots of candy and other snack items, soup, lasagna, masks, books... She's responded with jewelry, tons of snack foods, booze, lots and lots of candy, miscellaneous Kate Spade items, socks... We are each other's personal Bad Idea Bears but it has really made this whole thing more tolerable, having someone to collect small gifties for and looking forward to a regular exchange. I'm also sending regular care packages to my sister, who is 2500 miles away in Indiana and living alone.

• Love 16
42 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Scarlett45, Mr Norris sounds like sweet fellow and I love his name. He sounds a bit like my baby Emma, who was 22 when she passed. She had arthritis in her back legs and a little trouble with the box too. We bought a lot of puppy pads and had pet stairs all over the house. She took a small dose of gabapentin each day, which seemed to help her. I don’t think I will ever have a sweeter cat than Emma (although my new cat is trying her best).

My Mom did buy stairs for Mr Norris but he won’t use them! Charlie used them before he died (this March), and Blake will use them. I don’t know if Mr Norris can see them!

Emma sounds so sweet. Getting old isn’t for sissies, but he’s been such a great friend to me. I want him to be comfortable. 

I took a few of my sisters bed pads and put under the litter box, since he just misses usually. 

• Love 6
(edited)

It appears that those of us with senior kitties are keeping the puppy pee pad business afloat. My Mitzi is about 50/50 hit or miss. At least she's not peeing elsewhere. Yet. 😕

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

When my kitty was in the late stages of renal failure, one thing that helped was making a shallow litter box. Think cookie sheet with litter. That way it wasn’t hard for her to step in. 

That’s a great  idea. I have one of those low entry ones for seniors/kittens. 

• Love 5
On 6/15/2020 at 5:53 PM, Chicklet said:

I was trying to place bets on which pharmaceutical company to invest in because I was pretty sure anti-depressant scripts were going to go through the roof. 

I have issues that was getting under control pre-pandemic to the point I was able to start weaning off meds. I'm half afraid at my check up in a couple of weeks that the doctor is going to want to up the dosage of certain meds. That being said, being stuck to my apartment has meant that a lot of the triggers aren't happening. But that has been replaced by other triggers.

You win some, you lose some. 

I've managed to pick up my mom's accent due to not interacting much outside of my bubble. It was a bit of a shock to record myself doing a presentation recently and playing it back. I do not sound like myself!

• Love 12
(edited)

I have two different accents. I don’t try, it just happens. One is my professional accent that I have at work, with clients and most of my friends. Then another one when I’m around my family and some older friends.  I appeared on a tv show a couple of times many years ago. A friend is sending me a copy! I can’t wait to see what it’s like.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

Its funny about accents.  I grew up in NJ.  I have lived in the deep south over 40 years.  When I go to NJ they always say "you talk southern".  People in the south say "where are you from?"

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
34 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Its funny about accents.  I grew up in NJ.  I have lived in the deep south over 40 years.  When I go to NJ they always say "you talk southern".  People in the south say "where are you from?"

I have a Canadian relative who's lived in the south for 30+ years and her accent is the craziest mix of twang and exaggerated vowels. You'd swear you're talking to someone with a split personality.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

There are some videos on you tube where people demonstrate their accents. It’s pretty interesting. I recently saw one done by a girl from Virginia. She sounded a lot like people from N.C.  I’m from a county adjacent to VA, so maybe that’s why. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

An Irish guy worked for me some years ago and at one of our first one-on-ones I said, "look, I am going to pick up your accent when I talk to you. It's not something I do on purpose, it's just what my brain does and I want you to know that so you don't think I'm making fun of you." I was supporting an inspection by the Canadian Health Authority once and people thought I was Canadian. I may have been a mockingbird in a former life.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

It's interesting watching my friends who have moved abroad. Several never lost their accents whatsoever. Others adapted within a few months.

This is going to be fun training myself out of. I had some of my mom's accent prior to moving out but never the full blown accent. It isn't a bad thing but it's pretty thick. 

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's interesting watching my friends who have moved abroad. Several never lost their accents whatsoever. Others adapted within a few months.

This is going to be fun training myself out of. I had some of my mom's accent prior to moving out but never the full blown accent. It isn't a bad thing but it's pretty thick. 

My mother was from coal mining country in Western PA where there is a thick country accent and they say stuff like 'warsh' instead of 'wash'.  She had 2 brothers and a sister.  She and her 2 brothers left the area as they reached adulthood, her brothers joined the military, she moved to a midwestern city and got a job in a factory.  Weirdly enough, my mother lost her PA accent entirely, even when visiting back home, she always sounded midwestern and didn't even use popular phrases like 'red up' which means clean up, BTW.  We always stayed with my aunt who had never left the area and her accent was so thick, you could cut it with a knife but my mom never fell back into it.  Meanwhile, both of her brothers never lost their PA twang despite living outside the area for the rest of their lives and even marrying women from different parts of the US who didn't have the accent.

I dated a Canadian guy in college and, after being around him, was all 'aboot' sounding like a Canadian.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8

One of my proudest moments was when I lived in Aberdeen Scotland and fooled a cab driver into thinking I was a local. Sorry, but they were known for taking tourists the long way around and since I did know the routes and street names...

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was raised in east Texas and we have a weird mix of Texas drawl and a bit of a Cajun accent combined (it is close to the border of Louisiana). I've managed to drop most of my accent but every time I go back home it creeps in for a few days. My coworkers love to mess with me after I've been home. I also pull it out to my advantage when needed (cabbies in London loved it, for some reason).

Edited by emma675d
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

People always tell me I don't have an accent, despite being raised by people with very thick Appalachian accents in the Ozarks. My brother has a noticeable Ozark accent, which is different from how the rest of the family talks. However, most people don't see me around my family. I had one friend who spent the day with me and my grandparents, and she told me that the sudden morph in my manner of speech was mildly terrifying! 🤣 I don't like the way I talk though. My voice is higher when it is recorded than I ever hear it when I am speaking. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I grew up in Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA and I don't think I have an accent, since I think I pretty much sound like everyone on TV. But I also have had hearing problems since at least the 9th grade and didn't get hearing aids until I was almost 50. 

Thank you for all the well wishes! My doctor hasn't gotten my results yet. Hopefully she will get them tomorrow. I don't work in July and I have a ton of end-of-the-year stuff to get done, especially since we were working at home for 2 months and I'm not high enough on the totem pole to get a VPN for the college intranet.

I have lost 4 pounds since Saturday. I'm eating whatever I want but using portion control, no snacking, and no junk food or fast food. I stress eat, so every time I feel stressed & hungry I've been doing 5 minutes of deep breathing (smell the roses, blow out the candle) and then get something to drink since I tend to let myself get dehydrated. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
(edited)
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Saturday is the earliest they can see me. So Saturday I’m going to have dental work.

Did they recommend something temporary to help the pain, like Orajell? My dad recently used some overnight and he said it helped. 

What are people thinking?  Do you recall me posting about how glad I was to get my court case handled remotely, so my client and I didn't have to appear in court last week? I was thrilled about that, and RIGHTLY so.  THIS person who was COVID POSITIVE showed up in the same courtroom we were supposed to appear! COURTROOM CLOSED and CLEARED when Defendant shows up with COVID!   I would have freaked out, if I had been in there.  It doesn't say if the person was wearing a mask.  I hope so.  He only told them AFTER he had spoken to the probation officer and the DA.  Thankfully, the city of Raleigh has just passed MANDATORY face masks in public requirement. It should start soon. THank goodness.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/wake-county-closes-courtroom-after-defendant-shows-up-with-covid-19/19147386/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
15 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I never seem to pick up regional accents, even when we move to a place with strong differences in speech patterns (as we did fairly often before Mr Jyn retired from the Navy - Scotland, Hawaii, and Georgia, for instance). It surprises me a bit, as I lost my English accent fairly quickly after we moved to the USA when I was 10. But since my parents always spoke Polish at home, and had fairly strong Polish accents when they spoke English, I guess there was never any reinforcement at home to maintain my English accent. Which I do find rather sad. 

For that matter, I can't even remotely duplicate a Polish accent. It just sounds normal to me when my parents speak with it, and though I can recognize it in others, I can't put  my finger on the cadences and pronunciations which make it unique.

• Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, AnnaBaptist said:

Everyone has an accent.

I don’t think I do. People say I speak like a newscaster. If there’s a name for that accent, I guess that’s what I have.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I never seem to pick up regional accents, even when we move to a place with strong differences in speech patterns (as we did fairly often before Mr Jyn retired from the Navy - Scotland, Hawaii, and Georgia, for instance). It surprises me a bit, as I lost my English accent fairly quickly after we moved to the USA when I was 10. But since my parents always spoke Polish at home, and had fairly strong Polish accents when they spoke English, I guess there was never any reinforcement at home to maintain my English accent. Which I do find rather sad. 

For that matter, I can't even remotely duplicate a Polish accent. It just sounds normal to me when my parents speak with it, and though I can recognize it in others, I can't put  my finger on the cadences and pronunciations which make it unique.

My brother in law is Aussie, from Sydney.  His parents (Irish dad, Aussie mom) brought their kids to the US when he was around 8 and then he went back to Australia and lived from age 13 to 20 or so.  He has no discernible Australian accent and cannot even fake one properly.  Meanwhile, his siblings, both younger than him, still have faint Australian accents although they have been in the US the whole time.  According to my brother in law, it was because they emigrated to the south side of Chicago and, 'If you lived on the south side of Chicago, you'd lose your Australian accent in a hurry, too'.  Apparently, the nuns at his gradeschool loved it and made him read aloud in class all the time, but the other boys were not nearly so impressed.

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t think I do. People say I speak like a newscaster. If there’s a name for that accent, I guess that’s what I have.

Try going to England, they'll tell you you've got one.  You might have a generic American newscaster accent, but it is an accent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

That’s referred to linguistically as “Standard US American English”. It’s an accent. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did they recommend something temporary to help the pain, like Orajell? My dad recently used some overnight and he said it helped. 

What are people thinking?  Do you recall me posting about how glad I was to get my court case handled remotely, so my client and I didn't have to appear in court last week? I was thrilled about that, and RIGHTLY so.  THIS person who was COVID POSITIVE showed up in the same courtroom we were supposed to appear! COURTROOM CLOSED and CLEARED when Defendant shows up with COVID!   I would have freaked out, if I had been in there.  It doesn't say if the person was wearing a mask.  I hope so.  He only told them AFTER he had spoken to the probation officer and the DA.  Thankfully, the city of Raleigh has just passed MANDATORY face masks in public requirement. It should start soon. THank goodness.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/wake-county-closes-courtroom-after-defendant-shows-up-with-covid-19/19147386/

I’m taking Tylenol it’s helping a little 

• Love 2
(edited)

@galaxychaser, an ice pack might provide a bit of relief as well. A few years ago I got a terrible toothache the Friday before Labor Day and must have made 20 calls before I found an emergency dentist who could see me the same day. Turns out a had a fractured root nerve. The dentist shaved the tooth down to relieve the pressure and told me to take ibuprofen and put ice packs on my face, both of which helped. I hope you start to feel better soon.

This was the third random injury I had that year. I burned the fingertips on my right hand when I accidentally touched a hot burner on my glass stovetop (it was turned off but had just been used), which required a trip to urgent care and a prescription for Percocet. The other injury was microabraisons on both of my eyes that rendered me unable to function from pain for 3 days (and off of work for a week, because all I could do was lie in the dark). The last happened about a month after I was on a jury for a murder trial, and 7 weeks or so before the tooth incident. That was, until now, the crappiest summer I ever had.

Edited by MargeGunderson

MargeGunderson, that sounds like a whole LOT of pain.  Ouch.  I've had eye abrasions too. How'd you get yours? 

When I was in law school, I got a cracked tooth in the nerve and OMG.  I was downing Advil like crazy.  It scares me to think how much I took.  It was over Thanksgiving HOLIDAY and my ex and I were at his parents out of town!  When I got home, I called the dentist office first thing and was crying I was in so much pain.  He said come to my office right now! I did and he fit me in his schedule.  I gladly jumped into that chair and got my ROOT canal with a temporary crown.  This dentist was BRAND new and his assistant later slipped that it was his VERY FIRST ONE, since getting out of dental school!  It took him 6 hours, but, he did a great job!  I had zero pain, except a sore butt and I still have the permanent crown that he put in a few weeks later. That was 31 years ago! At my last dental exam, it looked fine!  

• Love 8

@SunnyBeBe, no idea how I got the microabraisons. I wear contacts so it could have been them, but the weird thing is it didn’t happen on the day I put the new contacts in (I have monthly disposables),it happened in the middle of the month. I actually hadn’t happen twice, but the first time was pretty mild and I assumed that it was allergies bothering my eyes since it was spring. I haven’t had any other problems with my contacts or my eyes since. It was weird, scary, and so so painful. My eyes hurt 24/7 and there was basically nothing the ophthalmologist could do for the pain. I cried a lot and listened to podcasts. How did you get yours? I’ve never met anyone else who had them!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I got an email from Globus Tours for some really great European deals for next year. But I’m going to hold off even though they are waiving the single supplement! Patience is a virtue. 

Scarlett, have you toured with them before?  I think I'm going to have to do a solo trip, hopefully next year.  All my friends are either married with children or broke!

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Scarlett, have you toured with them before?  I think I'm going to have to do a solo trip, hopefully next year.  All my friends are either married with children or broke!

No but I’ve done Monogram Tours (their partner Company) and REALLY enjoyed the experience. So I feel confident doing a Globus Tour. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

If you're able to, I recommend going for a drive in the car. Sometimes one of my roommates and I just drive around and come back and don't stop anywhere. I know not everyone has car, but if you do, it's good to change scenery. 

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Temperance said:

If you're able to, I recommend going for a drive in the car. Sometimes one of my roommates and I just drive around and come back and don't stop anywhere. I know not everyone has car, but if you do, it's good to change scenery. 

Driving can be relaxing. I did that a lot in Post Katrina NOLA, i would take a drive to Baton Rouge.

But with many things still being closed, there is no wear to use the ladies room when you’re out and about. I’ve had to stop at the grocery store just because I knew the bathrooms are open. Of course I understand but it’s an inconvenience. 

• Love 3

I've done a Globus tour and it was so-so. The tour itself was great (we did a bus trip through Italy) but the hotels were iffy. It was like they really scrimped on the accommodations to save for the site seeing (one hotel was a former convent with no A/C in Florence in August, not fun).

4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@galaxychaser, an ice pack might provide a bit of relief as well. A few years ago I got a terrible toothache the Friday before Labor Day and must have made 20 calls before I found an emergency dentist who could see me the same day. Turns out a had a fractured root nerve. The dentist shaved the tooth down to relieve the pressure and told me to take ibuprofen and put ice packs on my face, both of which helped. I hope you start to feel better soon.

This was the third random injury I had that year. I burned the fingertips on my right hand when I accidentally touched a hot burner on my glass stovetop (it was turned off but had just been used), which required a trip to urgent care and a prescription for Percocet. The other injury was microabraisons on both of my eyes that rendered me unable to function from pain for 3 days (and off of work for a week, because all I could do was lie in the dark). The last happened about a month after I was on a jury for a murder trial, and 7 weeks or so before the tooth incident. That was, until now, the crappiest summer I ever had.

Ouch I’m sorry.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I've done a Globus tour and it was so-so. The tour itself was great (we did a bus trip through Italy) but the hotels were iffy. It was like they really scrimped on the accommodations to save for the site seeing (one hotel was a former convent with no A/C in Florence in August, not fun).

I was traveling with a group (not Globus, but with people I knew) and was accidentally booked into a red-light hotel in Florence.  A couple on the trip who knew me let me stay on the couch in their room at another hotel until my accommodations could be changed.  The things that happen when you travel!  (I really love Florence.  I could stay in the museums for weeks.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

No but I’ve done Monogram Tours (their partner Company) and REALLY enjoyed the experience. So I feel confident doing a Globus Tour. 

I had a trip planned to the west coast with Colette tours last month.  Yeah, fingers crossed the world will figure out the new normal so that I can go next year.  
I've done single trips (and I HATE having to pay that single supplement) but I enjoy them because I hate driving myself if I don't know where I'm going and I want to be able to look out of the window and see things.  It's nice to have someone else drive and figure out the Itinerary  

• Love 4

I feel like a GENIUS!!!!
I realized why Mr Norris (my cat) was having accidents.

He's trying to cross the house to make it to the low entry litter box rather than use the taller ones on the other side of the house by my bedroom/home office where I am all day. He’s trying to stay by me. 

I just need to order a second low entry box and "show him"(I don't know how well he can see) that it's changed 
I don't want to move them/switch them because I don't think he can see that far and  if he walks across the house and it's tall he may get confused poor guy.

This is so simple and you all told me but it dawned on me why he’s always so far away from the litter box he’s trying to use!

• Love 18
(edited)
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I was in Italy in August in a hotel that supposedly had AC.  European AC is not the same as what we have in the US, particularly in buildings that are hundreds of years old.   We turned off the AC and opened the windows in 90 degree heat and our room was actually cooler than with the AC turned on.

I've done Perillo tours to Italy, Grand Circle to Russia (same stuff as Viking,  fewer minor amenities but way better price), Proximo to the Holy Land and Lonely Planet to Greece.  Was happy with all of them.  Only did the Lonely Planet trip by myself, though.

I've also done a cruise of the Dalmatian Coast (Croatia) on a small ship by myself; probably my favorite trip ever, will try to remember the name of the line.  Also did a river cruise down the Rhone in the south of France.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Thanks for the info! 

My Mom and I did Monograms for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012 and it was EVERYTHING🥰. I also did Italy through Monograms and it was so nice. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2