Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

10 of the 19 sick family members did not attend the party. One of them is 80 years old.

Yeah, I just added that to explain.  I try to explain to my family members that for every person you interact with up close and no masks, you are interacting with all the people that they have been interacting with.  The more people, the more risks.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm unsure if posting the link to this would be okay with the Mods, so I just posted the title. If you Google the title below, you'll be brought to a short YouTube video. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Florida's Anti-Maskers Are Taking a Stand

The speakers were jokes. Don't they realize how foolish they look?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

10 of the 19 sick family members did not attend the party. One of them is 80 years old.

Read about this yesterday from the POV of  the son of the elderly grandparents in the hospital. I think the grandfather is in the ICU in bad shape. 

I hope that party was worth it. Covidiots. 

• Love 2

@Scarlett45 My heart goes out to you. The loss of a beloved pet really hurts. Been there. I hope you find the vet compassionate and know that he will be running free over the Rainbow Bridge. We will be praying for you. Hugs and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties  

8AC76347-8BEE-4CD8-8989-A8E82D6CF8AE.jpeg.519fac73a5e39f399c2d7404cfd3efbf.jpeg

• Love 22

#SCARLETT45 ~ I have you both in all of my prayers and thoughts. Please tell Mr Norris to look up my 2 Westies ~ C.J. And Asti ~ when he decides to cross the Rainbow Bridge. My boys will show him around. 💕

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Body odor is one sign of end-stage kidney failure. I also lost one of my old cats to liver failure and he also smelled strange toward the very end. It’s a result of the metabolic processes starting to wind down. It’s natural. Just so, so hard to watch. 

I wish I knew words that could make this easier for you...

Thank you. 

This sounds very odd, but it’s creepy to me the way he moves his head. Reminds me of an animatronic, rather than a real cat. It’s difficult to explain. 

When we adopted him all those years ago after my Grandfather died, I said to Mom “he looks just like Salem”(from Sabrina the teenage witch). It’s like that. 

• Love 14

He may be losing his eyesight at this point...hence him moving his head around. Or it’s involuntary, sort of like a seizure. At some point, he may have a seizure, but it’s unlikely that he’ll still be sentient enough to be distressed by it.

I don’t know if my trying to explain what might be happening physiologically is helping or making it harder for you? Please tell me if you just want me to shut up.

There’s one thing I do believe, having watched so many of my pets go through the end of their lives: they don’t have the fear of death that we humans do. In that way, as in many others, animals are much smarter than humans.

Sending you both peace.

• Love 17
13 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

He may be losing his eyesight at this point...hence him moving his head around. Or it’s involuntary, sort of like a seizure. At some point, he may have a seizure, but it’s unlikely that he’ll still be sentient enough to be distressed by it.

I don’t know if my trying to explain what might be happening physiologically is helping or making it harder for you? Please tell me if you just want me to shut up.

There’s one thing I do believe, having watched so many of my pets go through the end of their lives: they don’t have the fear of death that we humans do. In that way, as in many others, animals are much smarter than humans.

Sending you both peace.

No I don’t want you to shut up. 

When Scarlett (his litter mate) died in 2014, it was a two week decline, she was walking into walls, losing her balance, couldn’t walk or eat etc. I made the choice to have her euthanized as I was going to leave town the next week and didn’t want to burden my Mom with the decision when I was gone. 

As you all know, Charlie died this March, right before quarantine, and he went so quickly (which I’m glad for), it was 3 days between “are you feeling ok?” To “dead in his sleep”. With everything happening then I was so glad he wasn’t suffering but being at home all day every day without him was rough. And I was in shock. 

Now I’m just sad. 

For the record my avatar is of Scarlett and Mr Norris (right side) in their hey day. 

• Love 11

I don't know how many of you are familiar with New England, but every fall the western Mass town of W Springfield holds the Eastern States Exposition - The Big E. It's a ginormous two week country fair that brings in over a million fair goers. So far they haven't canceled it. 

It seems like a no-brainer to shutter the fair this year.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know how many of you are familiar with New England, but every fall the western Mass town of W Springfield holds the Eastern States Exposition - The Big E. It's a ginormous two week country fair that brings in over a million fair goers. So far they haven't canceled it. 

It seems like a no-brainer to shutter the fair this year.

That’s surprising to me. Chicago is slowly reopening but every mass gathering for recreation has been cancelled this summer. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

That’s surprising to me. Chicago is slowly reopening but every mass gathering for recreation has been cancelled this summer. 

Surprising to me too. MA canceled the Boston Marathon. The tri-state area and MA have done a great job in decreasing covid after being hard hit in the early months. Keeping the Big E scheduled to open makes no sense. Not much is going to be different in regard to covid this fall. It seems like a recipe for disaster.

• Love 5

So my sister has been really careful about social distancing, wearing her mask, staying at home. Last week, she cracked, went to her friend's house who does her hair and got it cut and colored (last I knew, friend was also waiting tables). Yesterday, she wakes up dizzy, short of breath, with a cough, and it is difficult to sit up in bed. She emails her doctor and texts me and talks to her friend. Her doc tells her to go to the ER. Short version: hours later, she is sent home a presumed positive for COVID-19 and told to quarantine. Presumed positive because we are only 3+ months into this pandemic so of course we don't have enough tests. She is 2500+ miles from me and lives alone. So far, I have sent her toilet paper and sparkling water, plus the care package I had already sent last week.

I was already going to cancel the hair appointment I have scheduled next month but now I absolutely am.

1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Has anyone heard from Scarlett45 today?

Hi I’m here. It’s over, Mr. Norris is gone. This morning I was so angry about the situation but now I’m sad and relieved. I feel like a 5yrs old who just wants her Mommy (who has been comforting me through my tears). 

That receptionist/vet tech was ridiculous with “if the vet agrees” and the new vet I met said that there was no doubt I was making the right decisions. Here’s his last photo, and some more of him in his hey day with his shinny coat. 

5EE0A65F-5E2F-488A-A15F-FE6E9AF2F657.jpeg

5A39F759-1A56-4F32-9C49-CBE7FEF0D43B.jpeg

0042063D-EF46-405D-B1A9-6B68FC614A8F.jpeg

EF212E26-F980-450F-82E6-2550B78885A4.jpeg

• Love 18

😭 I'm so sorry.

I think I will be facing the same crossroads soon. My Mitzi, about 18, has eaten very little the last couple of days after having a robust appetite before. Nothing I tempt her with seems to work. She's just resting in her bed now. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, sweetie...such a gorgeous boy.

You did the right thing by him, today and always. My heart goes out to you.

I hope Oldernowiser doesn't mind me sharing but these words are perfect.  He was a gorgeous boy and you always did the right thing by him.   I hope you find peace in knowing that.

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

😭 I'm so sorry.

I think I will be facing the same crossroads soon. My Mitzi, about 18, has eaten very little the last couple of days after having a robust appetite before. Nothing I tempt her with seems to work. She's just resting in her bed now. 

Hugs to sweet Mitzi. You will take excellent care of her. 

8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

So my sister has been really careful about social distancing, wearing her mask, staying at home. Last week, she cracked, went to her friend's house who does her hair and got it cut and colored (last I knew, friend was also waiting tables). Yesterday, she wakes up dizzy, short of breath, with a cough, and it is difficult to sit up in bed. She emails her doctor and texts me and talks to her friend. Her doc tells her to go to the ER. Short version: hours later, she is sent home a presumed positive for COVID-19 and told to quarantine. Presumed positive because we are only 3+ months into this pandemic so of course we don't have enough tests. She is 2500+ miles from me and lives alone. So far, I have sent her toilet paper and sparkling water, plus the care package I had already sent last week.

I was already going to cancel the hair appointment I have scheduled next month but now I absolutely am.

I’m so sorry your sister is sick. Hugs. 

• Love 10

Scarlett45, my sweet, goofy first dog Olivia was a big bird dog who adored every living thing, except squirrels. I like to think she's one of the official greeters in animal heaven and she is enthusiastically welcoming Mr. Norris (she adored cats). You did a wonderful job and I hope memories of him bring you comfort. 

• Love 18

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a gorgeous cat. May he rest in peace. 

@jcbrown, I will keep my fingers crossed that your sister recovers quickly and smoothly. That is a really hard situation. I'm sorry your family is dealing with this. 

It amazes me how many people are back to normal, despite cases not going down (and going up in so many other states!) One of my dear friends who hasn't been doing well isolating at all said their neighborhood is having a block party tonight. At least they'll be outside, but I sincerely doubt that there will be much social distancing happening. My daughter's principal lives near us and is having a massive graduation party for his daughter today. Lots of people, packed under a tent canopy without a mask in sight. And I understand that desire- to have the normal block party, to have the normal graduation party, but part of me is also making this face 😬

• Love 17
(edited)

@Scarlett45 I'm so sorry. The last loving thing you can do is figure out when to say goodbye. It is gut-wrenching. I have no words but I know so well where you are. So so sorry.

And thanks for the good wishes for my sister, everyone. I would feel better if there was someone there with her. She feels really terrible. I am concerned. Tomorrow, I get to tell my dad with dementia that she has COVID-19. I hope it is a good brain day for him but I feel bad for being the messenger but she asked me to tell him (because she can't breathe enough to talk, criminy). Ah, this sucks.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Why on earth isn't your sister admitted? Is this what they consider a "mild" case? 😕

They don't even have tests. She could not get tested, and this is one of the best hospitals in the state. They didn't prescribe her a bronchodilator, even. SMDH.

Edited to add: she also says it is difficult to even sit up in bed. When she was texting me yesterday about her doctor telling her to go to the ER, she said she wasn't sure she could get out of bed.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, jcbrown said:

They don't even have tests. She could not get tested, and this is one of the best hospitals in the state. They didn't prescribe her a bronchodilator, even. SMDH.

Edited to add: she also says it is difficult to even sit up in bed. When she was texting me yesterday about her doctor telling her to go to the ER, she said she wasn't sure she could get out of bed.

That has to be making you feel so feel so helpless! I'm so sorry.

• Love 6

@Scarlett45, Please accept my sincere sympathy for the passing of Mr. Norris. May your beautiful memories bring you comfort. Sending hugs to you.

@Sew Sumi, So sorry about your sick kitty. Such a difficult time. Sending you hugs, too.

@jcbrown, I am shocked that this late in the virus epidemic no tests are available for sick people coming into emergency rooms. I hope she gets some care and will be ok. What a helpless feeling for you. Please let us know how she does.

• Love 8

@Scarlett45, he was so pretty! I'm so sorry for your loss.

It may be a little too soon for me to say this, but may your memories of him bring you comfort.

Someone said that to me last year a day or so after my dog Jasper died, and although I appreciated the kind intent, my grief was too fresh for it to mean much to me. Later, it proved true. Since I've been spending so much time here in my condo since March, I find myself thinking of him. I may talk to him sometimes. Just saying. 

@Sew Sumi, I'm sorry your kitty's not well. These critters enrich our lives, with lives so much shorter than our own.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Sew Sumi how’s Mitzi?

Today I’m just sad. The house feels different. So empty. But I still have Blake. 

So sorry for your loss. It is the hardest thing when you forget for a minute and except to see your precious fur baby in their bed or on a chair.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Sew Sumi how’s Mitzi?

Today I’m just sad. The house feels different. So empty. But I still have Blake. 

Sigh. I know that feeling. It sucks.

As my sister said, after losing their second and at that point, only, dog...”we had to say goodbye to her and now the house is way too big and we might have to move.”

Give Blake a hug.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Sew Sumi how’s Mitzi?

Mitzi got up late yesterday and ate her regular food of her own volition. She was ready for breakfast this morning, so I think she was just having a restful day. It just scares me since she's so old and has lost weight. Her bed is situated in the living room in front of the wall heater, which she loves. Thankfully, it's cool enough most days that I can turn it on for her for a few minutes, even now in the summer (yay June Gloom!). 

She's tough. She won't go without a fight! 

• Love 16

I'm so ready for the summer to be over already. We had the giant Sahara dust plume here for the last few days and it's made my allergies go crazy. Headache, runny nose, sore throat, etc. I keep thinking I'm getting sick but it's just the dust. Wtf 2020? Enough already. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm so ready for the summer to be over already. We had the giant Sahara dust plume here for the last few days and it's made my allergies go crazy. Headache, runny nose, sore throat, etc. I keep thinking I'm getting sick but it's just the dust. Wtf 2020? Enough already. 

Same here, and the dust isn't even supposed to really affect us, but it's made me miserable. We're supposed to get some rain tomorrow, which will aggravate my mold allergies but at this point I welcome it. 

• Love 1