Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Thank you, everyone for your warm wishes! I’m really looking forward to finally being able to enjoy a more normal life and get to be back to being more like Arwen used to feel. 

Bring 45# down really does help, though I don’t recommend this as weight loss. Bread is like a drug to me as well, @ChiCricket.  I really like those Premier Protein shakes. You get 30 g of protein and 1 g of sugar, and they taste great  They are soy free, but they are made with whey protein instead.  Keeping down my carbo cravings has really helped. I have no family working there, own no stock, and receive no comp for sharing this info.  At least 2 of the nurses at my clinic like them, too. 

Hugs, thoughts, prayers, and good vibes to my board buddies dealing with health issues.

• Love 12

My brother had gastric bypass surgery. It worked. His hospital stay was like one or two nights.

How does that My 600 lb Life surgeon manage to get patients three month long hospital admissions just to lose weight? I know TLC pays, but the existence of such a system, and the seemingly common non compliance of patients, blows my mind. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

My brother had gastric bypass surgery. It worked. His hospital stay was like one or two nights.

How does that My 600 lb Life surgeon manage to get patients three month long hospital admissions just to lose weight? I know TLC pays, but the existence of such a system, and the seemingly common non compliance of patients, blows my mind. 

It is pretty mind blowing, considering how insurance works in this country for the most part. Insurance looks for any reason to boot people out.  I saw Dr Now at my neighborhood Whole Foods.  He’s very small in stature.  Didn’t accost him or attempt to speak to him because he deserved to shop in peace and I couldn’t remember where I’d seen him until later.  There’s a Whole Foods across from his clinic, so I figured he lives closer to me.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

@ChiCricket, so sorry to learn of your ordeal.  That must have been scary. Glad you’re on the mend.

@Loves2Dance, hope you get some relief from your shoulder soon and your surgery is successful.

My latest medical update: No more chemo, yay!  So relieved not to have to endure it anymore.  They say that beyond  6-8 treatments with chemo drugs really adds no incremental benefit.  I’ll be on maintenance with Avastin every 3 weeks to knock down remaining disease.  It’s got side effects, but not like chemo.  It doesn’t cause hair loss, low counts, anemia, or make neuropathy worse.  My feet are very happy about this. The surgeon doesn’t think surgery will help at this time since the Avastin is still doing its job.  I didn’t fancy being carved up like the turkey to struggle through the holidays for no real benefit.

Wonderful news, Arwen, May you continue to improve with the medication. So happy you don't have to undergo surgery or chemo. Prayers really do work!!!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It is pretty mind blowing, considering how insurance works in this country for the most part. Insurance looks for any reason to boot people out.  I saw Dr Now at my neighborhood Whole Foods.  He’s very small in stature.  Didn’t accost him or attempt to speak to him because he deserved to shop in peace and I couldn’t remember where I’d seen him until later.  There’s a Whole Foods across from his clinic, so I figured he lives closer to me.

Dr Now may be a character played by Deep Roy.

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

The doctor’s real name is Youdan Nowarzaradan.

Younan

My adult daughter and I love to reenact how Dr. Now stiffly walks into the exam room, not looking at the obese patient, glances at the patient chart, and says, at their feet, "Come back when you lose 30 lbs", then stiffly turns around and toddles out!

• Love 3

I'm having a recirculating pump installed on my water heater today.  Have any of you, ever, had a plumber show up that actually has everything he needs?  My plumber had to stop in the middle of the job to go to the store to get a part.  EVERY repairman or plumber that I have every hired has always needed to leave the job "to go to the store".  So much for a one-hour job.  Teachers and nurses can't do that.  I guess I had the wrong jobs!  (Plumbers can also leave the job go to the bathroom when they want.  Teachers and nurses can't do that, either.)

• Love 3

I had the phone company repair order canceled once for some reason, but the next week the tech showed up early and got the problem taken care of within a hour. I guess living in rural Montana *lol* can cause problems for certain repairs.

I was almost in an accident because a nitwit ran a red light after I started going when my light changed to green. Silly me for going when my light was green. I swear I saw the same woman driver run the red light before.

We almost got taken out by a red light runner about a week ago. I said to Mr E that I didn’t go  through what I went through to be taken out by a  nitwit. 

So far I’m on the winning end of fighting an aggressive cancer, so that would have really sucked to have been on the receiving end of a T-bone.

• Love 16
30 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

We almost got taken out by a red light runner about a week ago. I said to Mr E that I didn’t go  through what I went through to be taken out by a  nitwit. 

So far I’m on the winning end of fighting an aggressive cancer, so that would have really sucked to have been on the receiving end of a T-bone.

I would have love to hear her explain her reasoning behind running a red light. Good thing I was going slow because I just started to pick up speed when the accident almost happened. I do not want to end up in the hospital with possible back and neck injuries along with my other medical issues. I already have enough problems without getting hurt because of a nitwit who does not know a red light means stop.

12 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I would have love to hear her explain her reasoning behind running a red light. Good thing I was going slow because I just started to pick up speed when the accident almost happened. I do not want to end up in the hospital with possible back and neck injuries along with my other medical issues. I already have enough problems without getting hurt because of a nitwit who does not know a red light means stop.

Amen, Sister. Every word of what you said...

• Love 3

Sounds wonderful, Nat-Nat! (Sorry, Natalie is my daughter's name, with Nat-Nat being one of her many nicknames. Be happy I didn't call you Gnatty-bugs!)

I've reached the Sunday night slide, where I realize the four hours I intended to log in over the weekend didn't happen. I *should* at least knock out an expense report but just can't gather up enough f*cks to do so. It is a short week ahead, with my boss off all week. I'm ready for hibernation. 

• Love 4

Wishing everyone safe travels and good food that you like to eat.  we are heading 3000 miles away to the son and daughter in law - I am very lucky.  She is a treasure.  Perfect for my son and we get along fine.  We like a lot of the same things (including my son!!)  Also 3 grands!  Two are teenagers and at the eye rolling stage.  we are hoping the youngest who is 9.5 will still like to hang out with us.  The others are fine, but, in the teenage years.  I remember that with my sons and tell their father that he and his brother were just the same. He says "oh no, we weren't like that".  Hahahaha.  yes they were.  

• Love 6

I've been cleaning like crazy for the past few days. I mean, the house was presentable if you didn't look too closely, but since it's just me living here right now, I don't tend to really deep-clean all that often. And once I got started I really got into all the corners. Cleaned things that probably haven't been cleaned in years LOL. 

Mr Jyn is coming home for a few days, as is one of my sons, who is bringing one of his friends from Officer Training school who was not able to get out to see his family in California. My other son is tied up with work stuff and needs to stay local just in case, so he can't make it, but daughter & son-in-law will be here, as will my mom.  

I also decided to splurge this year on a pasture-raised fresh turkey from a local farm, so am excited to see how it compares to the ubiquitous Butterball.

Now, back to more cooking before everyone gets here later tonight. I want to get a good jump on the prep work for tomorrow!

• Love 8

For once, one of my kids is hosting Thanksgiving.  All I'm doing is cooking a ham and making vats and vats of the fruit salad we've been eating on Thanksgiving for my entire life.  And my mom told us her mom used to make it too.

I have to make huge amounts, because my family loves it and they all want to take home some of it to eat in the week after Thanksgiving.

I swear they divide it up like it's made out of gold. It's not even a complicated recipe, but it has to be made exactly like we've always done it or they get upset.

Two of my grandkids volunteered to help make it this year, so "they can learn how" and then said  "and then we get extra to take home for helping, right Grammie?!" (of course) :)

Sorry, feeling extra blabby right now. :-)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10

I'm going to my niece's home...the nephew who killed himself (i posted a few pages back) and left 5 little kids. So we are heading there to try to bring some distraction, love and support, I guess.  

We are both going to cook at her house and do a buffet style.  I think it will be really nice that way. Low pressure. 

I hope you guys are all well and have a beautiful day tomorrow.    XOXO 

• Love 13

So happy  for you zoomama. I hope  everyone  has a great  Thanksgiving ,  I will be alone but have planned  2 special  meals  steak  for lunch and lamb for supper. I work retail  and Black Friday  will be long. We are open  8 to 8 and as manager I will be there all 12 hours. Please, if you shop Friday  be gentle  with the sales clerks. They are working  in a very  stressful  environment  that day.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Wishing everyone safe travels and good food that you like to eat.  we are heading 3000 miles away to the son and daughter in law - I am very lucky.  She is a treasure.  Perfect for my son and we get along fine.  We like a lot of the same things (including my son!!)  Also 3 grands!  Two are teenagers and at the eye rolling stage.  we are hoping the youngest who is 9.5 will still like to hang out with us.  The others are fine, but, in the teenage years.  I remember that with my sons and tell their father that he and his brother were just the same. He says "oh no, we weren't like that".  Hahahaha.  yes they were.  

I wish you were my mother in-law. Mine hates my guts. She is a Duggar leg-humper and basically a female Derick so the feeling is mutual.  Needless to say, we are not spending Thanksgiving with her. We are spending it with close friends who are more like family than any of my husband’s family will ever be. 

Thank you for letting me vent. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

• Love 11
41 minutes ago, zoomama said:

hi everyone.. just wanted to share my thanksgiving wishes for ya'll and pass on a tidbit from my week. i was feeling ill on monday evening after a day of crashing blood sugar and follow up headaches. i went to bed early (6:30pm).  my #1 son in texas called and was chattering with me for a long conversation. i was lamenting how sad i was to have to miss the boys birthdays on thanksgiving since i could not find a reasonably priced airline ticket. as i was signing off with him, my #2 son knocked on the bedroom door and asked if he could come in.  i said sure, and in walked my twin grandsons that live in texas! to say i was confused and shocked and emotional would be an understatement. i cried. my sweet DIL drove for two days straight (while talking to me on her phone making me think they were out running errands) to bring those boys to me. my #1 son was talking so much chatter so i didn't fall asleep before the kids got there. oh friends, it has been such a joy to see them!

even better: my grandson that has grown up with the twins and is VERY close to them, was spending the night out at a friends when the boys arrived. so next morning, we went to the park and asked for my grandson to be dropped off at the park. he saw me and started running to hug me. he heard voices calling his name, looked around and there were his twin cousins. he GRABBED the closest one, hugged so hard and nearly cried himself. then it became a 3-way hug with all of the boys.  it was a moment i will never forget. it touched my heart to the core. 

on that happy note, Thanksgiving blessings and good wishes for all of you. 

What a beautiful surprise!

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So happy  for you zoomama. I hope  everyone  has a great  Thanksgiving ,  I will be alone but have planned  2 special  meals  steak  for lunch and lamb for supper. I work retail  and Black Friday  will be long. We are open  8 to 8 and as manager I will be there all 12 hours. Please, if you shop Friday  be gentle  with the sales clerks. They are working  in a very  stressful  environment  that day.

UGH!!! I worked retail for nine years. I remembered being at work at 5:00 a.m. on Black Friday. I do not miss it at all.  Good luck!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I'm thankful for this little area of the internet and everyone in it. I hope the day is long for those of you spending it with family you enjoy and short for those of you who are enduring it with family you don't.

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, EVS said:

I wish you were my mother in-law. Mine hates my guts. She is a Duggar leg-humper and basically a female Derick so the feeling is mutual.  Needless to say, we are not spending Thanksgiving with her. We are spending it with close friends who are more like family than any of my husband’s family will ever be. 

Thank you for letting me vent. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Maybe we should introduce your mother-in-law to my one sister-in-law or my mother. I could go to my mother's house for Thanksgiving, but I would rather have a pap smear, colonoscopy, multiple blood tests, treadmill stress test, and another radiation iodine treatment than spend one second with my family.

Happy American Thanksgiving (in case any of our Canadian friends are reading and saying "eh?"). I would ask that folks eat extra turkey, gravy and stuffing for me and post about how good it is. My vegetarian mother-in-law is here and while I love her (seriously, I won the mother-in-law contest), she's seriously screwing with my Thanksgiving traditions. There is no turkey (obviously), no gravy, stuffing made with whole wheat bread (dear god, why?) and vegetable broth, and no green bean casserole. This also means no giant turkey sandwiches the day after and no turkey sweet potato gumbo made with the leftovers. I'll have to live vicariously through all of you instead. So, don't hold back and please say yes to extra gravy.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

Maybe we should introduce your mother-in-law to my one sister-in-law or my mother. I could go to my mother's house for Thanksgiving, but I would rather have a pap smear, colonoscopy, multiple blood tests, treadmill stress test, and another radiation iodine treatment than spend one second with my family.

Lol, that pretty much sums up my feelings too. I suspect my MIL and your mother would hate each other  but it sounds like they deserve each other. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

Happy American Thanksgiving (in case any of our Canadian friends are reading and saying "eh?"). I would ask that folks eat extra turkey, gravy and stuffing for me and post about how good it is. My vegetarian mother-in-law is here and while I love her (seriously, I won the mother-in-law contest), she's seriously screwing with my Thanksgiving traditions. There is no turkey (obviously), no gravy, stuffing made with whole wheat bread (dear god, why?) and vegetable broth, and no green bean casserole. This also means no giant turkey sandwiches the day after and no turkey sweet potato gumbo made with the leftovers. I'll have to live vicariously through all of you instead. So, don't hold back and please say yes to extra gravy.

Did you see the one Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Marie makes a healthy Thanksgiving meal with a tofu turkey. I admit I do not care for turkey much, but I do like leftovers especially turkey sandwiches, turkey with hot gravy on a piece of bread, and of course mashed potatoes and stuffing.

Throw my MIL onto that pile. There's a picture of her next to Negative Nellie in the dictionary. Thankfully, we don't have to spend a whole lot of time with her; just lunch in the dining room then maybe half an hour in her apartment afterwards. 

Even so, there is not enough booze or xanax in the world to suffer even two hours with her. 

eta: I don't like turkey much. I'm hoping there's ham. And a buffet rather than a sit down, getting served the same shit as everyone else. I don't like gravy much either, and they'll likely throw it all over everything. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Marge- I feel so sad you can't have a traditional dinner just because your MIL is vegetarian My niece is vegan/vegetarian & just eats what she can out of the dinner or she brings along her own vegan dish. My FIL was never a big turkey eater so my MIL & now SIL serves ham along with the turkey. My SIL is trying a new dish this year - whiskey glazed carrots. Can't wait to try those!  Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Love 6

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and safe travels for those of you on the road. I'm just getting over a nasty flu, so I have about as much enthusiasm for spending the day at my in-laws tomorrow as the Duggars do for eating fresh vegetables. Hope everyone has a wonderful day, though!

• Love 9

Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to all! My sister is hosting this year, as we covered Christmas last year. With five sibs, I'm out of the rotation until around Easter! I'm prepping a few sides and pies and am very much looking forward to seeing my sisters, brother, mom, nieces and nephews and grand nieces and nephews. Should be a crowd of about 30.  This is the third year with my dad gone. My oldest brother estranged himself about the time dad died when his douche-baggery became inexcusable.  It is wonderful to have ego-free, peaceful gatherings.  

We'll meet up with DH's side later in the day. We've set boundaries with MIL over the years for self preservation. We've not seen her since last February, so we shall see what sort of adventure awaits. 

I'm beyond thrilled to have four days off.

• Love 6

I actually know what the Thanksgiving plans are this year.  My family is not very organized, but I am, so it is always difficult.  There have been years when I did not know what to bring until the evening before Thanksgiving.  This year I actually know when, where and what.  We are getting together Friday instead of Thursday so my niece and nephew can go to their in-laws on the actual day.  This year it is "bring what ever you want", and my brother will barbeque turkey breasts.  I am going to try to make stuffing.  Since I am gluten intolerant, I never make or eat it, but I found an apple-cranberry stuffing recipe, and the "same" one in gluten-free, so I'm going to try to make both.  I hope its edible.  I am very much thinking this might be my last Thanksgiving with both of my parents.  My dad is 93 and has become quite feeble recently.  He fell twice last week and had a brain scan today.  Poor guy is intact mentally, but unable to speak due to primary aphasia.  My mom is in excellent condition physically, but her memory is going so fast.  I just have a feeling that I will be losing them one way or another.  So I will appreciate our unorganized Thanksgiving this year, and be thankful for the time I have had with my wonderful parents.

• Love 19

Our Small Talk group seems to have every possibility of happy and cozy and not-so-much combinations this Thanksgiving. We are a true slice of life.

My family is much smaller now, and Mr. Dance and I have become the oldest generation. But I am grateful that we will spend Thanksgiving with at least all of the west coast kids and grandkids, and my sibling. We have our issues, for sure, but I am looking forward to our more than bountiful gathering tomorrow.

Wishing all of you as happy a Thanksgiving as possible. And @zoomama, your wonderful story made my day. Thank you for sharing.

Edited to say, I am thankful for you all.

Edited by Love2dance
Addition and clarity
  • Love 11

I am likewise thankful for you all. My sister and I hold my dad's assets in a Medicaid-protecting trust (a bit of legal shenanigans that the law forces on you). We closed the sale of Dad's house today. (He is in a memory care assisted living facility.) I posted here when my mom was dying of Alzheimer's and I was looking for food ideas for filling his freezer. I have not posted much since but now my dad is dying of Alzheimer's (because there is no other option with Alzheimer's)and we just sold his house. So, yippee?

• Love 8

Hey, so I don't like to post here too often and I mostly stay on topic, but I just wanted to say I'm so thankful for previouslytv, this forum, and y'all. (I'm not a Southern can I use y'all ya think?) Anyway I appreciate this forum so much as a place to focus on rather than the world, which seems rather dark these days.  I enjoy hearing your insight and seeing the links you post. (I'm not sure I know how to post links or videos the way you do.) Sometimes I come off more severe than I intend and I always notice something in my posts I want to edit, but I enjoy reading stuff so much. Anyway thanks for everything.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I am likewise thankful for you all. My sister and I hold my dad's assets in a Medicaid-protecting trust (a bit of legal shenanigans that the law forces on you). We closed the sale of Dad's house today. (He is in a memory care assisted living facility.) I posted here when my mom was dying of Alzheimer's and I was looking for food ideas for filling his freezer. I have not posted much since but now my dad is dying of Alzheimer's (because there is no other option with Alzheimer's)and we just sold his house. So, yippee?

I'm glad the sale closed. The rest is heart wrenching. Loving and nurturing our parents as the age and decline and dealing with the practical/legal/logistical is something that is utterly gutting. I hope you have some semblance of peace and joy today. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Marge- I feel so sad you can't have a traditional dinner just because your MIL is vegetarian My niece is vegan/vegetarian & just eats what she can out of the dinner or she brings along her own vegan dish. My FIL was never a big turkey eater so my MIL & now SIL serves ham along with the turkey. My SIL is trying a new dish this year - whiskey glazed carrots. Can't wait to try those!  Happy Thanksgiving to all.

My daughter is vegetarian, so I'm just making some of the stuffing with vegetable broth and making her a couple of stuffed portabella caps. Also with some mushroom gravy. The rest of the food she can eat - sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, various vegetables, creamed onions (her favorite), and cranberry sauce. And pies - apple and pumpkin. 

My son really does not like turkey, so I made him some chicken breast to have instead. So out of 7 people who will be here only five of us will be eating turkey, and my mom really doesn't eat very much at all...but I hate getting to small of a turkey...it just doesn't seem festive. I sort of compromised on a 14-pounder.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My daughter is vegetarian, so I'm just making some of the stuffing with vegetable broth and making her a couple of stuffed portabella caps. Also with some mushroom gravy. The rest of the food she can eat - sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, various vegetables, creamed onions (her favorite), and cranberry sauce. And pies - apple and pumpkin. 

My son really does not like turkey, so I made him some chicken breast to have instead. So out of 7 people who will be here only five of us will be eating turkey, and my mom really doesn't eat very much at all...but I hate getting to small of a turkey...it just doesn't seem festive. I sort of compromised on a 14-pounder.

My daughter is vegetarian, not vegan, and I always make a large, brown rice, spinach, Swiss cheese casserole to add to all the other sides.

I host Thanksgiving every other year for my husband's family.  There are 14 of us. Starting a month before, I clean and declutter every inch of my house.  Every drawer, cupboard, ceiling fan, window, curtain, skylight, I mean everything!

The cooking is a piece of cake after all that!

• Love 7