Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@Mindthinkr do you live in a larger city or near a county or state-run hospital or clinic?  I know funding has been scarce, and they get a bad rap sometimes, but there are plenty of good doctors there too.  All the good doctors at the fancy clinics and hospitals had to complete residency somewhere, and not everyone went to  Cedars-Sinai.  Wait times are usually longer, waiting rooms are more crowded, and you’ll see people from all walks of life, but fees are significantly reduced, sometimes on a sliding scale, and you may get the referrals and resources you need.  You do what you have to do for your health.  

My mom worked at the local “charity” hospital and I had no problem having surgery there as a kid as anyone could use it.  The doctors were knowledgeable and took their time, and I needed the surgery to improve my quality of life.  

• Love 3

The "new BMI" calculator puts 79.13 pounds as the bottom end of healthy weight for someone 57" tall.  As someone who lived in the bottom reaches and just below for BMI, it may not be a crisis situation.  Some people run very thin although the weight loss would be a concern.

Blood work is back. High WBC count. Next step is an abdominal-pelvic ct scan that they say cannot wait. I guess a girls got to do what a girl has to do. Sorry to bother y’all with this. I am feeling a bit better and got two small meals into my body today. For contrast my “normal” weight is 88. 

Wishing anyone else with health problems or pain relief and wellness. I think I took my good health for granted until it wasn’t so good. Be well everyone. 

• Love 20

@Mindthinkr, I'm thinking of you. Your health concerns are some of mine right now, too, though yours sound potentially more serious.

I was fine until Thanksgiving, when I accidently ate some coconut flour pumpkin cheesecake. (I'm allergic to coconut.) I'm not sure everything is all related, but long story short I ended up in the ER with unexplained pelvic pain, which came and subsided all in about 3 hours. I was fine for a day, and then started bleeding halfway through my cycle. That lasted a day. I followed up with my primary care doctor (who seemed unconcerned) but she ordered a pelvic ultrasound to calm my fears (I had googled and basically convinced myself I had uterine or ovarian cancer) which came back unremarkable and followed up with the bloodwook they did in the ER. Pancreatic enzymes, liver enzymes, and WBC are fine. But now I'm battling with a decreased appetite and general intestinal discomfort that comes and goes and wondering if I should make another appointment. I lost 4 pounds over the weekend because I basically didn't eat and that scared me, but otherwise I'm fine.

I think I'm going to wait a few days and see if it gets better. I chatted with my pharmacist and he gave me a couple suggestions (it could be GI inflammation that my body hasn't been able to resolve, exacerbated by the fact I'm working overtime and not drinking or eating or resting enough), but if things don't get better I'll have to bug my doctor again for more tests.

The not knowing is the worst. The anxiety I gave myself waiting for bloodwook and ultrasound results was awful and not helpful. And while I'm pretty sure I'm not dying, it's still not fun feeling under the weather. If this is all related ... worst allergic reaction for me ever.

I hope you get the answers you need soon, and that if anything needs to be treated it's simple and easy and attainable. No one needs the added stress of finances when they're deciding on treatments and trying to get better. <3

• Love 7

I'll be thinking of the pair of you as well. It's horrible when you have the feeling that something might be seriously wrong, but have no answers. 

@Mindthinkr, yes, better get that scan ASAP. Hopefully it turns out to be something relatively minor.

And @McManda, hope yours is minor as well. I know that simply worrying about things can cause some of the symptoms you are describing (at least, I know they do with me), so with any luck that will be the case with you.

• Love 4

Thanks, @Barb23 and @Jynnan tonnix. I've found that thoughts do help. So does talking about my ailments. Both help to rationalize things for me, and bring me back off that worst case scenario cliff.

I'm also the worst kind of patient, because I'm educated enough to want to know and find answers, but not educated enough to separate the horses from the zebras, as it were. I look things up and then worst case scenario is planted in my brain and boom, I'm a dead woman walking. Which only makes things worse, because the anxiety exacerbates everything. 

I'm fairly sure all my health issues are minor and will resolve. It's the first time that I've had anything more serious than a nasty cold (which, while not great to deal with is explainable) and I'm finding that it's the not knowing why or what to do is the part I'm struggling with. 

Today I feel fine. Normal. No pains anywhere or fullness and my appetite is ... not voracious, but mostly back. I'm trying to walk the line of eating healthy(ish) but not worry to much about fat or calories. I think, while I've had allergic reactions before (although not quite like this), it's been awhile and I think I might be getting to the age where my body takes longer to get back to normal (in addition to the overexertion I was running in the weeks before Thanksgiving). It'll be good to have a weekend to relax.

@Mindthinkr, keep us updated, especially if you are like me and need the support! 

• Love 5

@doodlebug said: 

Since I am currently standing in the middle of Hollywood Studios in Orlando, my 4th visit to WDW in 3 years, I’m probably not the one to ask. BTW, 3 of the 4 trips included visits to Universal, too.

ETA: Slinky Dog Coaster is amazing!

We went to Universal Orlando for the first time this past summer and we loved it!! It helps that three out of four of us have read Harry Potter. (So much so that son, who is not a reader, was nitpicking Forbidden Journey. Muggles can't see dementors, Mom! That's bogus!) My daughter (who is 12 going on 13) was chosen for the wand show. (For non Harry Potter folks--witches and wizards get their wands when they turn 11, so the attendants are on the lookout for that age group most likely) And considering the martyr airs she was putting on the Hogwarts Express as we were going over to Hogsmeade about how it was fine if her brother now wanted to get a wand she wouldn't get one. Even though we told her she and her brother could each get a wand. ($50 people!) The attendants maneuvered her right in front and made sure I could see. When she was ushered out before the rest of the group, the assistant said she didn't have to buy it. And she's all, "The wand chose me." It was awesome. And frozen butterbeer on a hot day is quite nice.

We have friends that are Disney Vacation Club members we all took a Disney trip right as the Josh scandal hit. They would like us to go again after Galaxy's Edge opens. We loved that trip and my kids are looking forward to going again.

@floridamom I'm sort of envious that you're so close. But we were there in August and it was so hot. Not much hotter than what we were having here in MA at the time. But I don't think I could handle that heat all the time. The thunderstorms nearly every afternoon was cool though. 

As far as adults going to amusement parks--we have season passes to Six Flags New England. It's about 2 hours away but it's a fun day. We're going to brave the cold tomorrow and see the holiday lights tomorrow. 

I will also note as much as Disney is lauded for their customer service and experience, we had excellent service at Universal. They were pleasant, fun, personable and knowledgeable and did everything they could to make our visit wonderful. It was awesome!

• Love 5

WTH does this mean from the post at the top of the site:

The conversion of many forums to topics means all the “small talk” topics for smaller shows won’t be crunched into the condensed show topics and will be removed. If you have any bon mots in Small Talk areas, you may want to save them for your scrapbook (in the future, the general idea of “Small Talk” will be covered by a new clubs feature but we’ll have more on that later)

and what, pray tell, is a bon mot?

I think it means that many of the "smaller" and less visited forums will no longer have a Small Talk area. One of the required topics for new show forums was a Small Talk. If it's single topic, it won't have that. So, Star Wars Rebels will just be one topic and the Small Talk topic won't be crunched down. I have a feeling that Counting On will not fall into that category, so it's pretty likely that this Small Talk will stay. I can't confirm or anything, it's just it seems likely to me.

Bon mot is French literally translated to good word. Anything clever or witty or inspiring etc that you or someone else wrote you might want to copy and paste elsewhere on your own storage or what have you.

To verify that my understanding was correct (I graduated college with a French Language and Lit degree so I sometimes lose the English idiosyncrasies) I checked the Merriam Webster and it's almost exactly what I wrote. Having a daughter who asks what a word means has turned me into a dictionary. Though, as a parent, it's nice to be able to say in this day and age, "Ask Google. I can't figure a good way to explain it."

• Love 5

And there he goes...

The flatbed loaded with my BIL’s truck hooked up to a Uhaul trailer loaded with the actual BIL.  Those crazy kids (one of them almost got the church giggles - literally - about the Uhaul during her eulogy).  

It turned out that the 3 sons who drive the big rigs all arrived in this teeny tiny South Georgia town at roughly the same time and met up at the town square.  Drove Dad around the square a couple times (videoing) until the popo told them to move along.  You really cannot make this stuff up.

I played for the prelude at the funeral today.  It was a very sweet sendoff.

On a whole nugget subject:  I HATE when my phone beeps and I have no idea where it is.

1C79A6AD-ACC8-474C-B303-F7A707E09D49.jpeg

• Love 17
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m tempted to by the mini Brie en croute bites. Topped with a litttle jam.

I tried those. They weren’t a favorite. Very tiny with almost no filling.

I tried cranberry turkey meatballs from Trader Joe’s very good.

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m tempted to by the mini Brie en croute bites. Topped with a litttle jam.

Ha, just had that yesterday!  Not from TJ’s though, put together from my pantry. 

On 12/9/2018 at 10:59 AM, galaxychaser said:

Baking Trader Joe’s Brie en croute. I hope it tastes good.

YUM!  I was there this weekend and had to back away from the chocolate en croute.  That and the apple cider donuts.  I will be trying their french onion soup bites soon.

Y'all...if you are the praying type, quick request. Two of my pet birds crashed into each other today while flying, and my Kiwi is in critical condition. 😢😢😢 She is the sweetest bird! I would so appreciate any prayers you could give Kiwi so she can make it through the night. Obviously there are way bigger problems in the world, but she is in pain and it makes me so sad!

ETA: the other bird involved in the crash was in shock at first, but thankfully is doing great now!

IMG_8056.PNG

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 15
5 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Y'all...if you are the praying type, quick request. Two of my pet birds crashed into each other today while flying, and my Kiwi is in critical condition. 😢😢😢 She is the sweetest bird! I would so appreciate any prayers you could give Kiwi so she can make it through the night. Obviously there are way bigger problems in the world, but she is in pain and it makes me so sad!

I am so sorry. I'm an atheist but I will send all the positive energy I can to your poor Kiwi. When a beloved creature is in pain, there are no bigger problems in the world. <<hugs>>

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thinking of your birds @Christina87

I came to share that I was not lazy this evening and walked two flights of stairs to get my laundry and 42lbs bag of cat litter after I already walked in my house. Yes I did.   

Rockstar!

1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

ETA: the other bird involved in the crash was in shock at first, but thankfully is doing great now!

IMG_8056.PNG

All my best to sweet Kiwi. Hang in there. 

• Love 6

Another atheist who believes that positive vibes can only do good. I only just saw this. Hope Kiwi pulls through. I do love birds. We've had a couple over the years, and I still really mourn my "Birdie" , a cockatiel, who flew out of the house and never returned about 25 years ago. I tried to replace him with a couple of other cockatiels over the years, but never found one with quite the sweetness. Go, Kiwi!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

IMG_8056.PNG

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending prayers and good vibes to Kiwi!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Another atheist who believes that positive vibes can only do good. I only just saw this. Hope Kiwi pulls through. I do love birds. We've had a couple over the years, and I still really mourn my "Birdie" , a cockatiel, who flew out of the house and never returned about 25 years ago. I tried to replace him with a couple of other cockatiels over the years, but never found one with quite the sweetness. Go, Kiwi!

The good vibes are more than appreciated, and I truly believe in the power of them too! I think there is a lot in this universe that we can't explain, and our thoughts and attitudes are more important than we know. Awwwwww that is such a sad story!!! We had a peach faced lovebird, Peaches, that met the same fate. 😢 It was January 1, 2000...bad way to start the millennium! May Birdie and Peaches Rest In Peace. We used to have birds growing up, but I decided to get them a couple years ago when I wanted a good apartment pet, but not the maintenance of a dog (and I'm not a cat person). I love my birdies!!! I never realized how unique their personalities are until I was an adult. I love my birds so much! They are ridiculously spoiled. 😉

Do we have any other bird lovers / owners here?

here are a couple of family flock pictures. I love the beach one, but I only had five then. Serendipity happened and we actually found #6 outside. Never could find the owner, so he's mine. 😜

IMG_8057.PNG

IMG_8058.PNG

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 6

Thanks so much, everybody!!! Kiwi made it through the night. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 she is still suffering; trying to figure out the best course of action. I was soooo relieved to find her alive this morning, though!!! The good vibes are helping tremendously, as I doubted she'd make it this far. 

• Love 14

Glad Kiwi made it through the night.  I, too, had a parakeet growing up so I understand your love & devotion.

I loved how the older prisoner Brooks raised his pet bird  (?Petey) on the movie Shawshank Redemption.  He was truly devastated when he had to let Petey go when he was released.  IIRC, Brooks fed Petey maggots they found in their food. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Thanks so much, everybody!!! Kiwi made it through the night. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 she is still suffering; trying to figure out the best course of action. I was soooo relieved to find her alive this morning, though!!! The good vibes are helping tremendously, as I doubted she'd make it this far. 

Just checking in, and am hoping Kiwi continues to improve - healing vibes heading your way!!

• Love 5

Thanks so much everybody. I'm at my wits end because kiwi's been having seizures all day, and it just hurts so much to watch. There's not much that can really be done. I just hate watching her suffer for so long. I reached my breaking point trying to watch her take a nap, but not being able to due to the seizing (her wings are flapping wildly). Keep sending the good vibes, everyone! It's possible that the seizing could improve as her injury gets better. I just feel so bad for her. 

• Love 7

Thanks so much everybody. I'm at my wits end because kiwi's been having seizures all day, and it just hurts so much to watch. There's not much that can really be done. I just hate watching her suffer for so long. I reached my breaking point trying to watch her take a nap, but not being able to due to the seizing (her wings are flapping wildly). Keep sending the good vibes, everyone! It's possible that the seizing could improve as her injury gets better. I just feel so bad for her. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I can’t find any decent friends. It’s depressing to be alone.

Yes, it can be, but you don’t have be alone. Try joining a group that have people with a similar interest such as a craft, book club, exercise group (the YMCA and Senior Centers offer good bargains on these), taking a course in something you are interested in....maybe a cooking class. Go volunteer. I’ve met some wonderful people doing that. Try a church group or Bible study if you are religious. Work at a food bank or soup kitchen. What about an animal shelter? Take a CPR class. Lots of good people volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. 

In the meantime you do have friends here. We are a caring lot. 

• Love 16
Just now, Christina87 said:

Kiwi has passed. Her actual passing was very peaceful. Thanks for all the good thoughts! She was such a good bird and we loved her so much. 

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I am glad she didn't have a rough crossing.  Animals give us so much unconditional love.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Kiwi has passed. Her actual passing was very peaceful. Thanks for all the good thoughts! She was such a good bird and we loved her so much. 

I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm sure you gave her a wonderful life.

• Love 5