Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@Mindthinkr I'm so sorry about what's going on with your daughter. She doesn't need that asshole. The kids will be better off with a mom who's happy instead of the tension this has to be causing.  The others have given you some great advice.  (((hugs)))) to you all. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

We have such a lovely group here, so supportive when one of us needs a place to come and vent, grieve, unload, or whatever. High five to all of us.

I got a notice tonight from a local hospital here and I am now scheduled to receive my first dose of the Covid vaccine tomorrow morning! I was online when the email came in and I immediately logged in, thinking there would be nothing left. To my surprise, they had appointments open all day tomorrow and I grabbed the earliest one, just in case they run out in the afternoon. So bright and really, really early tomorrow morning I will be making a trek 30 minutes away to a mobile clinic to get my first dose!

Oh that's wonderful news!  Just want to say.  The needle is long but tiny and doesn't hurt one bit.

The vaccine goes into the muscle so go limp in that arm!

The ER nurse gave me that advice and I felt nothing and had no after pain at all!

Good luck.

• Useful 6
  • Love 10

@Mindthinkr, I was in your daughter’s situation many years ago. Thought I couldn’t live without the first Mr. Dance. I was broken hearted and thought life was over when we separated. My teenage son told me that I would have the best revenge by being happier without him. I didn’t believe a word of it. But he was RIGHT, and I have been!. I found the second and final Mister Dance eventually, but even if I didn’t, life without the drama and hurt of my first marriage would be much better. I hope whatever choices your daughter makes that she and the children will find happiness and thrive.

It is so hard to be the parent of adult kids who are hurting (ask me how I know), so I am sending hugs and good wishes for you, too!

• Love 8
On 2/4/2021 at 4:31 AM, skipnjump said:

Scratch from recipes on the King Arthur Flour website.  But I also have been known to jazz up box mixes by replacing the water with alcohol.

I make Buzz Brownies by putting powdered espresso in with the mix. My next batch is going to include espresso and coffee liqueur. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I make Buzz Brownies by putting powdered espresso in with the mix. My next batch is going to include espresso and coffee liqueur. 

you've given me an idea to try.  🙂  I've also been known to pour alcohol over the brownies in the pan midway through the baking process.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

On the god mother front (my Mom just got off the phone with her), she says she thinks she needs to go into hospice. She said she didnt go to work yesterday, and shes not going tomorrow and that she may never go to work again. My Mom asked her had she gotten anything to eat and had she bathed, she had just gotten out of the bathroom and she's pretty tired from that, and she wanted food but was too tired to go downstairs and get it. She and her husband live in this old ass mansion with a gazillion stairs, I suggested they both just move downstairs and set up their bedroom in the tv/living room area so they would be close to the kitchen, but the downstairs bathroom needs to be fixed so they need to be upstairs because thats where the working bathrooms are.

My Mom is frustrated with my god mother's  husband (which I get, but hes in a lot of pain as well, and old and frail- not as sick as her mind you but hes injured), so my Mom suggested that she send A over to do some laundry and cook them some food and bring it to them. A used to be nurse, she is the eldest daughter of Ms. W (who recently passed away and took care of my sister). A is retired but her health is still great so she does caregiving work for extra money. She took care of my godmother for a bit in 2019 after her surgery.

So my Mom is going to call A, and then call my godmother's husband and beg him to let A in the house to help them out.

If my godmother wants to go into a hospice facility I think thats best. Given the logistics of her home, and her husband not wanting anyone in the house, the only reason she would want to stay in her own home is to be with Cosmo and Cosmo is with me. 

This is a right mess! My Mom is beside herself.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, emma675 said:

We have such a lovely group here, so supportive when one of us needs a place to come and vent, grieve, unload, or whatever. High five to all of us.

I got a notice tonight from a local hospital here and I am now scheduled to receive my first dose of the Covid vaccine tomorrow morning! I was online when the email came in and I immediately logged in, thinking there would be nothing left. To my surprise, they had appointments open all day tomorrow and I grabbed the earliest one, just in case they run out in the afternoon. So bright and really, really early tomorrow morning I will be making a trek 30 minutes away to a mobile clinic to get my first dose!

We certainly do have a lovely group here! So many wonderful thoughts, prayers, wisdom and suggestions for @Mindthinkr's daughter. I am sending good thoughts and wishes too, as she sounds like a wonderful person who deserves a lot better.

Glad you're getting a vaccine, Emma!

That sounds like a very difficult situation regarding your godmother, @Scarlett45. I'm sorry your family is going through this difficult time and I wish for comfort and peace for godmother. I'm chilling in Chicagoland too, but at least is a bright, sunny day.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

On the god mother front (my Mom just got off the phone with her), she says she thinks she needs to go into hospice. She said she didnt go to work yesterday, and shes not going tomorrow and that she may never go to work again. My Mom asked her had she gotten anything to eat and had she bathed, she had just gotten out of the bathroom and she's pretty tired from that, and she wanted food but was too tired to go downstairs and get it. She and her husband live in this old ass mansion with a gazillion stairs, I suggested they both just move downstairs and set up their bedroom in the tv/living room area so they would be close to the kitchen, but the downstairs bathroom needs to be fixed so they need to be upstairs because thats where the working bathrooms are.

My Mom is frustrated with my god mother's  husband (which I get, but hes in a lot of pain as well, and old and frail- not as sick as her mind you but hes injured), so my Mom suggested that she send A over to do some laundry and cook them some food and bring it to them. A used to be nurse, she is the eldest daughter of Ms. W (who recently passed away and took care of my sister). A is retired but her health is still great so she does caregiving work for extra money. She took care of my godmother for a bit in 2019 after her surgery.

So my Mom is going to call A, and then call my godmother's husband and beg him to let A in the house to help them out.

If my godmother wants to go into a hospice facility I think thats best. Given the logistics of her home, and her husband not wanting anyone in the house, the only reason she would want to stay in her own home is to be with Cosmo and Cosmo is with me. 

This is a right mess! My Mom is beside herself.

Scarlett, I am so sorry.  You're right, though.  It seems like a hospice facility would best meet your godmother's needs.  It's so hard when folks get older and want to stay in their homes when the place just isn't suited to their lives anymore.  It's tough to let go, but sometimes its for the best.  And its got to be so heartbreaking for you and your mother to know that she deserves the very best care out there and isn't getting it.

I lived next door to a wonderful couple for 29 years.  They lived in their home for 52 years, moving in when their second (of 3) was just a baby.  When I moved in, their youngest was just graduating high school, the oldest had just married his college sweetheart.  Just wonderful folks, the kind of neighbors anyone would love to have.  She got ovarian cancer a couple years ago at 82,  She did well for a while, but it didn't last.  Their sons, who are all great guys, live out of  town and were starting to nag them, just a little, to think about moving.  The husband will be 90 next week, still driving; his mother lived to be 104.  The hubby is a total procrastinator and I think he also saw what was coming and was in denial.  They finally put the house on the market and it was sold literally within the hour and they moved to some senior living apartments nearby late last summer after cleaning out their 5 bedroom house of 50+years.  Her cancer was progressing by the time they moved and she died last week, comfortable in a hospice setting on the same grounds where their apartment is located.  Her hubby of 59 years was able to just walk across the parking lot to be with her.  I'm so grateful she got the care she needed and that things were settled just the way she wanted them to be before she left.  Going to her wake tonight.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 20

First dose done! I left at the crack of dawn to get to the facility because I was terrified of being late (esp. since I don't know how rush hour works anymore since I haven't driven to work in almost a year). I'm glad I did because the mobile shot clinic was set up in an ancient mall that is in the process of being torn down, so the parking lot was a little confusing. They've torn down everything except for the main concourse building and the hospital's clinic has taken it all over. It's big enough that there were probably almost 100 people in line but they staged it in three separate areas (check in, shot area, then observation) and everyone could still stay distanced. I was in and out in about 45 minutes, it was very well organized. 

Scarlett45, I'm so sorry to read that news about your godmother. I hope A is able to help in some way. 

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Scarlett, I am so sorry.  You're right, though.  It seems like a hospice facility would best meet your godmother's needs.  It's so hard when folks get older and want to stay in their homes when the place just isn't suited to their lives anymore.  It's tough to let go, but sometimes its for the best.

I lived next door to a wonderful couple for 29 years.  They lived in their home for 52 years, moving in when their second (of 3) was just a baby.  When I moved in, their youngest was just graduating high school, the oldest had just married his college sweetheart.  Just wonderful folks, the kind of neighbors anyone would love to have.  She got ovarian cancer a couple years ago at 82,  She did well for a while, but it didn't last.  Their sons, who are all great guys, live out of  town and were starting to nag them, just a little, to think about moving.  The husband will be 90 next week, still driving; his mother lived to be 104.  The hubby is a total procrastinator and I think he also saw what was coming and was in denial.  They finally put the house on the market and it was sold literally within the hour and they moved to some senior living apartments nearby late last summer after cleaning out their 5 bedroom house of 50+years.  Her cancer was progressing by the time they moved and she died last week, comfortable in a hospice setting on the same grounds where their apartment is located.  Her hubby of 59 years was able to just walk across the parking lot to be with her.  I'm so grateful she got the care she needed and that things were settled just the way she wanted them to be before she left.  Going to her wake tonight.

I totally understand people wanting to stay in their own home. I don't like facilities, I thought they were dirty before COVID-19, (more people just means more germs- thats a fact) and the chance for abuse/neglect/sexual assault etc are so much higher when you are not in a private residence with your family watching the caregivers every day. There is a reason why my sister lives downstairs and has never lived in a facility. 

All that said, sometimes that isn't feasible, and you have to have healthy family members cooperating with the plan to stay in the private residence, or you have to hire private help- again, I'm checking my priviledge here, I know how fortunate we have been to be able to keep my sister with us, in part due to my Mom's earning potential to me being willing to do all that I do. This is not a knock on people who have to place their loved one in a facility- sometimes that is the best option. 

If my god mother's daughter that lives in Chicago was willing to help (she is not) or her husband was willing to just HIRE SOMEONE AND LET THEM IN THE HOUSE (damn that man is cheap as fuck- he fired her housekeeper of 20yrs long before COVID because he didnt like the idea of someone in the house) we wouldn't have these problems (he has the money trust me).

ETA- @doodlebug I am sorry to hear of your neighbor's passing, but so glad she had such a long full life and was comfortable in the end.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I totally understand people wanting to stay in their own home. I don't like facilities, I thought they were dirty before COVID-19, (more people just means more germs- thats a fact) and the chance for abuse/neglect/sexual assault etc are so much higher when you are not in a private residence with your family watching the caregivers every day. There is a reason why my sister lives downstairs and has never lived in a facility. 

All that said, sometimes that isn't feasible, and you have to have healthy family members cooperating with the plan to stay in the private residence, or you have to hire private help- again, I'm checking my priviledge here, I know how fortunate we have been to be able to keep my sister with us, in part due to my Mom's earning potential to me being willing to do all that I do. This is not a knock on people who have to place their loved one in a facility- sometimes that is the best option. 

If my god mother's daughter that lives in Chicago was willing to help (she is not) or her husband was willing to just HIRE SOMEONE AND LET THEM IN THE HOUSE (damn that man is cheap as fuck- he fired her housekeeper of 20yrs long before COVID because he didnt like the idea of someone in the house) we wouldn't have these problems (he has the money trust me).

You're absolutely right, it takes a village to provide supportive care to those who need it and it is wonderful that you and your mother have been able to work together to meet your sister's needs.  It's a shame your godmother just doesn't have a team in place and that her husband, for whatever reason, doesn't see how much help they need.  I hope your friend A is able to step in and smooth the path a little for them in the coming days and that your godmother gets the sort of care and attention she needs and deserves.

I will say there are some really lovely inpatient hospice facilities around here; a couple of people I know have been in one about 10 minutes from me and it was clean and beautiful, the rooms all overlooking the woods. The staff were so helpful and solicitous.  One was the husband of a friend who is a nurse practitioner and she is an absolute stickler.  She did everything but run a white glove around his room before he was admitted and she kept a close eye on the staff the whole time.  After he died, she admitted that he had gotten great care, better than she could've done alone at home.  On the other end of the scale, my uncle was in a hospice facility for people without hospice insurance; the elderly indigent, i believe they are called.  It was in the inner city in an old hospital building.  The rooms were plain and simple, but clean as a whistle and, once again, the staff could not have been kinder.  My uncle was not entirely conscious most of the time; but they checked him, turned him, kept the room spotless and repeatedly stopped to see if any visitors needed some water or coffee or anything else.  

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I will say there are some really lovely inpatient hospice facilities around here; a couple of people I know have been in one about 10 minutes from me and it was clean and beautiful, the rooms all overlooking the woods. The staff were so helpful and solicitous.  One was the husband of a friend who is a nurse practitioner and she is an absolute stickler.  She did everything but run a white glove around his room before he was admitted and she kept a close eye on the staff the whole time.  After he died, she admitted that he had gotten great care, better than she could've done alone at home.  On the other end of the scale, my uncle was in a hospice facility for people without hospice insurance; the elderly indigent, i believe they are called.  It was in the inner city in an old hospital building.  The rooms were plain and simple, but clean as a whistle and, once again, the staff could not have been kinder.  My uncle was not entirely conscious most of the time; but they checked him, turned him, kept the room spotless and repeatedly stopped to see if any visitors needed some water or coffee or anything else.  

I think my god mother would get better care in a hospice facility than she is getting at home right now, so if she wants to go, I will help her pack. Her husband can uber/lyft to visit when he wants, and her other friends can visit in peace and she can talk to whom she wants when she wants as long as she is able.

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

ETA- @doodlebug I am sorry to hear of your neighbor's passing, but so glad she had such a long full life and was comfortable in the end.

We used at home hospice for my dad after he was discharged from the hospital.  He only needed 3 or 4 days of care, but they were a godsend.  I hate to be blunt here, but hospice in any capacity is really a help when the time comes.  Even though the hospice nurse was not at home when he passed, they still took care of everything.  

• Love 15

I'm so sorry @Scarlett45. That's so hard. I hope A is able to help some. It does seem like a nursing facility would be better at this time.

Glad you got your vaccine, @emma675! Who knows when I'll be able to get mine. My husband is on the list from work, and I am as well. But who knows.

I've had a week to digest and think about all the family developments of last week. I still haven't read the letters, but I may this weekend.  

Dismissed the kids early today.  I had a full class of tiny humans the last 3 days. We're supposed to be getting more snow on Sunday, so who knows how many will show up on Monday. 

Off to do some housework before my husband gets home. 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

We used at home hospice for my dad after he was discharged from the hospital.  He only needed 3 or 4 days of care, but they were a godsend.  I hate to be blunt here, but hospice in any capacity is really a help when the time comes.  Even though the hospice nurse was not at home when he passed, they still took care of everything.  

I am glad you had the support you needed at the end of your father's life.

• Love 5

@Scarlett45 so sorry to hear about your godmother. It sounds like she would also feel more comfortable in a hospice facility, because her husband isn't giving her the support she needs at home.

My grandmother is in an assisted living facility and she won't have to move if/when she goes into hospice. She's 95 and has been there for about 5 years. For about 10 years prior to that, she stayed in her home with home health aides coming more and more often, but eventually she had two falls in two days and the hospital said she needed 24 hour nursing care in order to be discharged -- that's when she had to move to the assisted living. It was immediately obvious that the level of care and comfort that she gets there is WAY beyond what we could ever have given her at home. She also was able to keep some level of independence and privacy by moving there rather than in with my mother or me, and that's something that was precious to her for a long time (although sadly, she has advanced dementia, so it's no longer a concern). So anyway, I actually think very highly of care facilities, especially for anybody that needs a high level of care.

And I guess my point is, I hope your godmother gets the care she needs and is comfortable, safe, and free from worries about her husband and daughter.

The other good thing is that all the care facilities I know of let you bring in pets! So you could visit with Cosmo! I haven't been able to see my grandmother since everything closed down in March, which has not been easy -- but I took my dog to visit her a few times last fall/winter, and Portia was always a hit with the residents (and of course, LOVED the attention!). Bringing her was a lot of fun for everyone.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Sadly it sounds like it's time and it would be better for her to be somewhere that she is cared for and fed.

• Love 9

My mom is living in a wonderful assisted living home.  Her dementia is getting so bad that she really needs the care.  They have been totally shut down to visitors for months now, and since I have moved I have not seen her.  Yesterday my brother went to visit her through her window and FaceTimed me while he was there, so I was able to see and talk to her.  It is so sad.  She still thinks she is going to live with one of us (not! happening).  She has always had a very high opinion of herself, and felt that she is better than every one else --and I was never good enough.  It is very sad to see her personality continue.  She won't participate in any activity, she eats in her apartment--both are probably good things because she makes comments out loud about other people.  But the care she receives there is wonderful.  Hospice took care of my dad there until he passed, and they were so kind.  She is were she needs to. be, and  fortunately she has the means to pay for it.  But it is so hard to see her unhappy and confused.  But I know she is safe and cared for.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

My mom is living in a wonderful assisted living home.  Her dementia is getting so bad that she really needs the care.  They have been totally shut down to visitors for months now, and since I have moved I have not seen her.  Yesterday my brother went to visit her through her window and FaceTimed me while he was there, so I was able to see and talk to her.  It is so sad.  She still thinks she is going to live with one of us (not! happening).  She has always had a very high opinion of herself, and felt that she is better than every one else --and I was never good enough.  It is very sad to see her personality continue.  She won't participate in any activity, she eats in her apartment--both are probably good things because she makes comments out loud about other people.  But the care she receives there is wonderful.  Hospice took care of my dad there until he passed, and they were so kind.  She is were she needs to. be, and  fortunately she has the means to pay for it.  But it is so hard to see her unhappy and confused.  But I know she is safe and cared for.

Much love. It is very hard. I am glad your brother got to see her and fill you in.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

It is very sad to see her personality continue.  She won't participate in any activity, she eats in her apartment--both are probably good things because she makes comments out loud about other people.  But the care she receives there is wonderful.  Hospice took care of my dad there until he passed, and they were so kind.  She is were she needs to. be, and  fortunately she has the means to pay for it.  But it is so hard to see her unhappy and confused.  But I know she is safe and cared for.

If it's any consolation, if she's like my mom and they sound similar, she wouldn't be happy no matter where she was placed or if she was with you or one of your siblings.  My mother has plotted great escape attempts from her facility.  It's safely locked so she can plot away.  She, too, is well cared for and doctors have assured me the care has extended her life and maintained her quality of life.  

• Love 7

For people in CA in the Bay Area or the valley, I just received an email from Sutter saying they are taking appointments now for Covid shots.  You can log into your My Health account, or they give a phone number to call.  As I thought, there is no cost.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Based on our limited experience with Sweet Son, I totally concur.  And I am having grief counseling through that hospice, but at home on FAceTime, my choice.

• Love 16

We got Dad enrolled in hospice right before the holidays. The hospice nurse comes to his memory care facility once a week. It is a relief having someone with expertise look in on him regularly--not to take away from the staff at the facility where he lives. His doctor is a quack and has made all sorts of medically questionable decisions. Dad likes him because he wants someone to throw drugs at his every complaint and the quack will do that, even while not taking Medicare. My sister and I are glad to have professionals in charge of his care now (Dr Quack is in a different network so he is out of the loop). They are looking at putting Dad on Haldol because his hallucinations are so severe. I talked to him briefly today--he was in the dining room waiting for dinner (an hour before it is served) and I could hear one of the care team explain to him that his phone (which was in his pocket) was ringing and show him how to hold it to talk. Some days, this is a lot.

Edited by jcbrown

@Scarlett45 Every time I read what you have to say I am in awe of you. I really wonder if you are an Angel on earth because that wouldn’t surprise me. You are a deep caring person and use you empathy to allow others to have their choices without getting your feathers ruffled. You are a woman of grace and I am delighted to know you through our Prayer Closet. Best wishes with your God Mother and her husband. 

• Love 17

It has been a rough week for our little family.  Last Sunday, we noticed our oldest cat had a bald spot on her cheek.  At first, we didn't think much of it and just thought she got into a scuffle with our male cat.  By Monday, it was becoming a little pink.  She didn't mind us touching it and was acting her normal self.  By Tuesday, hell broke loose.  She had a visible wound, couldn't settle down, and was in obvious pain.  After speaking with our vet's office, we made the decision to take her to Pet+Er.  None of the news we received was good.  Because of her age (estimated to be 14-15) and her fragile state, we opted not to put her through any surgery.  The vet drained the abscess, gave her a long-acting antibiotic, and sent us home with pain meds.  She's seems to be doing better, especially from Tuesday, but we're still worried & scared.  She has a follow-up appointment with our primary vet tomorrow, and we hope to get more answers then.  She came to us in the summer of 2008, and she's (one of) my babies.  I do not want her to be in pain or suffer.  I am petrified that we will have decisions to make tomorrow, and it's breaking my heart.  I don't want to lose my Millie...

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, sixlets said:

It has been a rough week for our little family.  Last Sunday, we noticed our oldest cat had a bald spot on her cheek.  At first, we didn't think much of it and just thought she got into a scuffle with our male cat.  By Monday, it was becoming a little pink.  She didn't mind us touching it and was acting her normal self.  By Tuesday, hell broke loose.  She had a visible wound, couldn't settle down, and was in obvious pain.  After speaking with our vet's office, we made the decision to take her to Pet+Er.  None of the news we received was good.  Because of her age (estimated to be 14-15) and her fragile state, we opted not to put her through any surgery.  The vet drained the abscess, gave her a long-acting antibiotic, and sent us home with pain meds.  She's seems to be doing better, especially from Tuesday, but we're still worried & scared.  She has a follow-up appointment with our primary vet tomorrow, and we hope to get more answers then.  She came to us in the summer of 2008, and she's (one of) my babies.  I do not want her to be in pain or suffer.  I am petrified that we will have decisions to make tomorrow, and it's breaking my heart.  I don't want to lose my Millie...

Hugs

• Love 7

Evening everybody.  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  Such good caretakers you all are.

Scarlet it's rough with old gentlemen who won't budge.  They won't move.  They won't spend on needed care and they don't want anybody in their home.  Your godmother needs care.  Thank goodness she has you and your mom to keep trying.

Quinn good luck with the letter reading this weekend if you decide it's time.

Sixlets so sorry about your cat.  We had to put our little dog down.  She was 13 and needed multiple surgeries.  Her overall health was not good.  It was so hard.

Along with the blizzard we had on Wednesday we had 35mph wind last night.  A transformer blew so we were sitting in the dark.  I thought to myself..what next.  

I also prayed for that power company employee that would be climbing that pole to restore power.  What a brave soul to do that with the wind whistling!

Tonight all is calm.  Night all.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, sixlets said:

Aw, sweetie. If it is just an abscess, it’s quite likely draining it and antibiotics will take care of it nicely. Cats are quite remarkable in what they can come through...I had an older cat who blew up an abscess the size of a golf ball on his head in less than a day. They drained it, put him on antibiotics, he pulled through nicely and I determined from then on he would be an indoor-only cat, as he had clearly had a run-in with some other critter outside. 
My very best hopes that Millie will be just fine.❤️

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Evening everybody.  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  Such good caretakers you all are.

Scarlet it's rough with old gentlemen who won't budge.  They won't move.  They won't spend on needed care and they don't want anybody in their home.  Your godmother needs care.  Thank goodness she has you and your mom to keep trying.

Quinn good luck with the letter reading this weekend if you decide it's time.

Sixlets so sorry about your cat.  We had to put our little dog down.  She was 13 and needed multiple surgeries.  Her overall health was not good.  It was so hard.

Along with the blizzard we had on Wednesday we had 35mph wind last night.  A transformer blew so we were sitting in the dark.  I thought to myself..what next.  

I also prayed for that power company employee that would be climbing that pole to restore power.  What a brave soul to do that with the wind whistling!

Tonight all is calm.  Night all.

@Jeanne222 - you are such a kind soul. Praying for the power company lineman - what empathy! I hope you have a good peaceful night.

Also, what she said about everyone - I agree! 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, sixlets said:

I’m so sorry. It’s hard to see the furry ones suffer. Hopefully it will just heal in it’s own and she’s not in too much pain. 

• Love 7

@sixlets I’m so sorry that your elderly kitty had an abscess and isn’t well. I understand how you feel about Millie. My two cats are the source of my comfort these days and are older (they’ll be 18 later this year). I hope what they’ve done so far clears everything up and that you have many more happy years together. 

• Love 9

Things are not going well for Mr Turquoise. He tried getting a teleappointment yesterday because he was having such fatigue when he moved around and his chest was feeling tight. Our PCP refused to set up an appointment, or order him any meds. My MIL's boyfriend ran us his pulse oximeter, and after we saw he was low & dropping I ran him to the ER last night. It was so hard to just drop him off. He has double pneumonia related to Covid, and is currently in the ICU receiving a plasma treatment. We have been texting through the night, and he said the treatments he is having so far are making him feel better, and they are taking great care of him. They will let me visit him through some sort of window later. We will gladly accept any of the prayers and good thoughts you have, to get him home sooner rather than later.

• Love 7

@Turquoise - I'm so glad your husband has you as his advocate, and that you could get him the medical care he needs. Sending best wishes that he continues to benefit from the treatments he's receiving, and can return home as soon as possible.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

Things are not going well for Mr Turquoise. He tried getting a teleappointment yesterday because he was having such fatigue when he moved around and his chest was feeling tight. Our PCP refused to set up an appointment, or order him any meds. My MIL's boyfriend ran us his pulse oximeter, and after we saw he was low & dropping I ran him to the ER last night. It was so hard to just drop him off. He has double pneumonia related to Covid, and is currently in the ICU receiving a plasma treatment. We have been texting through the night, and he said the treatments he is having so far are making him feel better, and they are taking great care of him. They will let me visit him through some sort of window later. We will gladly accept any of the prayers and good thoughts you have, to get him home sooner rather than later.

Healing thoughts to the Turquoise family.

• Love 9

Turquoise, I'm glad your husband is getting the plasma treatments and is starting to feel a little better. I hope he gets to come home soon.

Does anyone know if a person can donate plasma after the Covid vaccine? I was wondering if a body created Covid antibodies after the vaccine that could then be donated to help others who are sick.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

A while back, we all discussed what we would do once we had completed the vaccination process: vacation, eating out, visiting our families and hugging them, etc. However,  everything I am reading now indicates that it will still not be safe to do any of those things. Some of the reasons include because of the new variants that are circulating,  lack of knowledge on whether we can still be carriers of the virus, and the fact that it is not 100% effective so there is still  chance (albeit small) that you can still contract the virus. I just wondered if this has changed your plans in any way.? I had so hoped to hug my grandchildren but now I will probably not, because one of them is immuno-compromised. I m supposed to get my second dose this week, but when I called to make the appointment s previously instructed to do was pretty much told: Don't call us,  we will call you. There are extreme shortages in my area, so not sure it will happen this week. 

@Turquoise I’m so sorry your husband took a turn for the worse. I’m glad y’all had access to an oximeter and got him in right away when his oxygen levels started dropping. I know seeing him, albeit through some kind of window, probably relieved you. I think that they have probably made great strides in the care and treatment of Covid patients and hope they help his recovery become complete.   **hugs**  I will continue to pray for both of you. 

• Love 10