Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I miss the automatic feeder.  It was great.  I knew exactly how much and when they were was eating. 

They make automatic feeders with space for a cold pack/ice pack under the food.  I have one I used for the cats still in the garage.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

@iwantcookies:  a correction to my post:  it should read “I don’t add nuts to my brownies....”. Sorry for the confusion.  However, when I make brownie bites in my little mini cupcake machine (kind of like a waffle maker), I have been known to top them off with a dollop of cookies and cream frosting .  When I make them in this little machine, they’re done in 5-6 minutes.  I think I’ll have to make brownies tomorrow....

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I had tinnitus and dizziness last year when I unexpectedly had to stop an anxiety medicine I had taken every day for years.

I had gotten a new Psychiatrist because my old one retired...and six months after I started with him he lost his licence for over prescribing controlled substances (to other people, not me!) So, I had no doctor to prescribe it when I ran out.

As soon as I found a new psychiatrist that:

1.took my insurance

and

2. was taking new patients

He immediately got me back on the anxiety meds, and in about a week, the ringing and dizziness stopped. I feel for anyone that has it...it was awful.

When I asked my new psychiatrist ( that I hate ) how long would it take to get a new one he told me the waiting list is 2-3 months... I asked last month. I’m stuck with this guy... weeps. 

I am glad you are getting your medication. I need mine to function. How crazy that he lost his license. Wonder if jail time is in his future.

• Love 1

I just saw that Walgreens is getting covid  vaccines to administer.   I signed up for online account.  It’s my regular pharmacy. My group isn’t up yet, but they should let me know when it’s available. I hope to get it soon.  

I just ordered a can of Lysol on line......$14.00.  I know...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just saw that Walgreens is getting covid  vaccines to administer.   I signed up for online account.  It’s my regular pharmacy. My group isn’t up yet, but they should let me know when it’s available. I hope to get it soon.  

I'm scheduled for my second dose through Walgreens.  I just happened to see that they were giving the first dose, but I have an account with them, so it was easy to register.  No lines, no waiting.  I encourage people to get loyality accounts with pharamacies because you never know when vaccine will arrive.  My experience is that you have to act fast to get an appointment.

• Love 3
Just now, iwantcookies said:

Sadly Walgreens stopped taking my insurance. 😞😞😞

There is no charge for the Covid vaccine that I am aware of.  They just ask for your medicare card.  Walgreens is not a preferred provider for my new supplement, either.  There were no questions asked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

There is no charge for the Covid vaccine that I am aware of.  They just ask for your medicare card.  Walgreens is not a preferred provider for my new supplement, either.  There were no questions asked.

I don’t have Medicare. I’m under 40. 

Edited by iwantcookies
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I feel like I’m on a 1000 day of the quarantine .

With the snow everywhere I feel like I'm on day 2000!  I'm weary of doing the same  boring things every single day!  I crave people, fun activities, dinner out.

I'm living Jack Nicholson The Shining!

I get my second covid vaccine shot in 12 days then I'm breaking out!!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I don’t have Medicare. I’m under 40. 

Vaccines are free. Any vax site will vaccinate anyone, regardless of what insurance they have. Most sites do ask for insurance info though, but it doesn't matter if they don't take your insurance. 

I thought you said you worked in a nursing home or residential home. You weren't offered a vaccine at your job?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

With the snow everywhere I feel like I'm on day 2000!  I'm weary of doing the same  boring things every single day!  I crave people, fun activities, dinner out.

I'm living Jack Nicholson The Shining!

I get my second covid vaccine shot in 12 days then I'm breaking out!!!!

I'm a week away from my second dose.  And, two weeks later: THE BEACH!

• Love 14
8 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

@ginger90 how much snow did you get that you cannot go home? 3 days is a long time!

They say 22”.

If I didn’t stay on Sunday, I most definitely would not have made it to work on Monday. If I didn’t stay Monday, I would not have made it home, the roads were awful, and so on. My person (home care) would not have had any coverage any of those days. I couldn’t do that.

• Love 16
11 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

They say 22”.

If I didn’t stay on Sunday, I most definitely would not have made it to work on Monday. If I didn’t stay Monday, I would not have made it home, the roads were awful, and so on. My person (home care) would not have had any coverage any of those days. I couldn’t do that.

Youre a gem. I hope you are getting overtime/overnight pay due to the circumstance. I am sure your client/their family appreciate you very much.

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Youre a gem. I hope you are getting overtime/overnight pay due to the circumstance. I am sure your client/their family appreciate you very much.

I’m usually day shift. I picked up the evening shift. She normally doesn’t have someone overnight. I work for an agency and they are not allotted hours for overnight unless the client requires it for a medical emergency. So, I’ll be paid for the shifts I picked up. That’s fine with me, I don’t get paid when I’m home sleeping either, so I’m ok with that. 😂🤣😂

• Love 14
12 hours ago, marypat57 said:

@iwantcookies:  a correction to my post:  it should read “I don’t add nuts to my brownies....”. Sorry for the confusion.  However, when I make brownie bites in my little mini cupcake machine (kind of like a waffle maker), I have been known to top them off with a dollop of cookies and cream frosting .  When I make them in this little machine, they’re done in 5-6 minutes.  I think I’ll have to make brownies tomorrow....

What is a mini cupcake machine?

I made brownies a couple of weeks ago and I finally remembered to try making them in my mini muffin pan. I always like the corner and edge pieces because of the contrast between the chewy edges and the softer middle. With the mini muffin pan, every little brownie had a perfect ratio of chewy to soft. I will never make them any other way, they were so good. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I made brownies a couple of weeks ago and I finally remembered to try making them in my mini muffin pan. I always like the corner and edge pieces because of the contrast between the chewy edges and the softer middle. With the mini muffin pan, every little brownie had a perfect ratio of chewy to soft. I will never make them any other way, they were so good. 

I am very very tempted to make brownies this weekend with all of the talk in the thread! lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Vaccines are free. Any vax site will vaccinate anyone, regardless of what insurance they have. Most sites do ask for insurance info though, but it doesn't matter if they don't take your insurance. 

I thought you said you worked in a nursing home or residential home. You weren't offered a vaccine at your job?

not so. my husband and i have different medical because he is on medi-care now. he goes to a local medical group that i went to for years but dont currently due my insurance coverage. he got his shot saturday and they declined to give me one because i wasn't their patient.   i had heard that even kaiser (my group) will give it to anyone so i was surprised. kaiser has not gotten to me yet. we are not to call but wait to be notified. i am almost ready to call the health department and see what their schedule is. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

pink-brentwood-appliances-indoor-grills-ts-252-64_600.jpg

NEED!!!!! 

I've hit a covid wall too. On my Facebook feed this morning, my memory was of us having a fun birthday dinner with some friends. I realized how much I miss life as it was. And how seemingly long it will be before we can do anything like that again. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, zoomama said:

not so. my husband and i have different medical because he is on medi-care now. he goes to a local medical group that i went to for years but dont currently due my insurance coverage. he got his shot saturday and they declined to give me one because i wasn't their patient.   i had heard that even kaiser (my group) will give it to anyone so i was surprised. kaiser has not gotten to me yet. we are not to call but wait to be notified. i am almost ready to call the health department and see what their schedule is. 

Where I received my vaccination yesterday will only make appointments for patients of their medical group.  The same large medical group is running two of the county's mass vaccination sites where they take anyone in the current or previous tiers.  However, they do one day vaccination clinics once a week rotating through in their various offices for their own patients emphasizing those where their PCP had indicated a reason to be done in the office. 

Our local Kaiser isn't doing vaccinations except for medical personnel.  They are recommending people try for an appointment at a mass site.  

Some counties are directing most of their vaccine toward the mass vaccination sites as a way to reach more people faster.  

• Love 5

My own personal machine is the Babycakes mini cupcake baker.
I purchased mine at Kohl’s,(they don’t carry it any more) but similar machines are available elsewhere.  Just make sure you buy the mini cupcake, not the cake pop.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I'm a week away from my second dose.  And, two weeks later: THE BEACH!

I'd love to be on a beach anywhere!  There's a saying about tucking really  nice days in your pocket and pulling them out when you need them.

During this quarantine I've about emptied my pockets!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Where I received my vaccination yesterday will only make appointments for patients of their medical group.  The same large medical group is running two of the county's mass vaccination sites where they take anyone in the current or previous tiers.  However, they do one day vaccination clinics once a week rotating through in their various offices for their own patients emphasizing those where their PCP had indicated a reason to be done in the office. 

Our local Kaiser isn't doing vaccinations except for medical personnel.  They are recommending people try for an appointment at a mass site.  

Some counties are directing most of their vaccine toward the mass vaccination sites as a way to reach more people faster.  

I wasn't aware any private groups were suppling vaccines yet, other than like nursing homes and such. Walgreens and CVS aren't treatment centers so I'm thinking they will be required to serve the general public.

In my area we have hospitals and mass vax sites. Because the government purchased the vaccines, they won't be billing insurances. From what I understand, they will be reimbursed for their service of administering the vax by the Cares Act as well.

• Love 2

I've been thinking about how good this group has been for me! Examples:

1. Someone (I'm sorry, I forget who) talked about doing Walk Away the Pounds and other exercising and turning over a new leaf. Well, I managed to walk 10K or more steps every day this year so far. I found some Walk Away the Pounds videos on You Tube and I've been doing them 3X a week. I also found a free weights for seniors (I'm very careful with weights because I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago and it took months of effort to recover) and it's only 15 minutes 3X a week. I can tell it's working. I got serious, not because of a New Year's resolution, but because of my osteoporosis diagnosis.

2. All the talk about grandparent books and journals lit a fire under me to go through some old journals I kept. Sad to say my journaling runs to either rhapsodizing about my great life or bitching about my awful life! I'd have done better to do a Samuel Pepys type of diary, talking about the weather and news of the day. Too late for that! Anyway, there was some writing that definitely would be hurtful or misunderstood by husband or kids, if I were to pass suddenly, so I destroyed almost all of it. It was interesting to me to see how stressed out I was with 3 kids of varying ages and a variety of misbehaving pets, lol. But I'm not sure it would interest anyone else in a positive way. 

3. I remembered that my dr. suggested I make an appointment to have my abundant ear wax removed and I made an appointment for tomorrow. I have a feeling it's probably a creepy feeling having it done, but I bet I'll hear a bit better afterwards and it may help to avoid tinnitus. I'm sorry for all who go through that. My MIL had Meniere's disease and was very hard of hearing. It was very difficult for her. She also had balance problems.

Those are the three I can think of at the moment, but I'm grateful for y'all every day! For the info, for the chuckles, for the pet pics & the snow pics. This is a good group!

• Love 23

My parents will both get their second vaccine shot by next week.  After that processes, it'll give me some peace about their health, however, I will have to be even more careful being around them.   I recently realized that with the vaccine, the patient won't get sick, but, they can still HAVE covid and pass it on to others!  Have you heard this?  Oh well.....I'll just have to be more careful, though, I know they will start to be less so.  

• Love 13

I'm on 5 different county waiting lists in my area for the vaccine and one local hospital group (I used to be a patient there so I'm hoping it still counts). One county sent an email update earlier this week and I'm number 133,323 on the list and they were hoping to get up to number 25,000 this week, lol. It's going to be a while. I'm just glad my parents and my nurse cousin have gotten their doses, it gives me peace of mind.

I'm also scheduled to do the second half of my eyelid surgery on Feb. 15 now. This is taking care of the upper lids and then my eye issues from Graves disease should be totally fixed and I'll hopefully look more like I used to (Graves can make your eyes bulge and even though mine went back down after it was under control, it left heavy lids, bags, and some unevenness). I'm excited to finally have this done, I've been putting it off for years since you look kind of terrifying for a while after. Quarantine and working from home has finally given me a chance to take care of it without scaring my coworkers or having to take a lot of time off. 

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

1. Someone (I'm sorry, I forget who) talked about doing Walk Away the Pounds and other exercising and turning over a new leaf. Well, I managed to walk 10K or more steps every day this year so far. I found some Walk Away the Pounds videos on You Tube and I've been doing them 3X a week. I also found a free weights for seniors (I'm very careful with weights because I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago and it took months of effort to recover) and it's only 15 minutes 3X a week. I can tell it's working. I got serious, not because of a New Year's resolution, but because of my osteoporosis diagnosis.

That was me! Walk Away the Pounds gives you a far better workout than you would think. Thats AMAZING im so proud of you!

• Love 9
1 minute ago, emma675 said:

I'm on 5 different county waiting lists in my area for the vaccine and one local hospital group (I used to be a patient there so I'm hoping it still counts). One county sent an email update earlier this week and I'm number 133,323 on the list and they were hoping to get up to number 25,000 this week, lol. It's going to be a while. I'm just glad my parents and my nurse cousin have gotten their doses, it gives me peace of mind.

I'm also scheduled to do the second half of my eyelid surgery on Feb. 15 now. This is taking care of the upper lids and then my eye issues from Graves disease should be totally fixed and I'll hopefully look more like I used to (Graves can make your eyes bulge and even though mine went back down after it was under control, it left heavy lids, bags, and some unevenness). I'm excited to finally have this done, I've been putting it off for years since you look kind of terrifying for a while after. Quarantine and working from home has finally given me a chance to take care of it without scaring my coworkers or having to take a lot of time off. 

I can relate.  I've had my eyes done 3 times. (One was a revision on one eye.)  I've had eye issues for the last few years and it's a huge deal. They are much better now.  I wish you all the best.  PM me anytime.  Are you having the surgery in the office or hospital?  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wasn't aware any private groups were suppling vaccines yet, other than like nursing homes and such. Walgreens and CVS aren't treatment centers so I'm thinking they will be required to serve the general public.

Two very large medical groups in our county that both operate one or more super stations in conjunction with the county are getting smaller amounts of vaccine to vaccinate patients in their practice.  For the practice where I go, the PCP has to put a note in the chart that the person would be better served with an in-office vaccination.  In my case it's due to previous vaccine reactions.  Other people there had Alzheimer's and a mass site would be difficult or traumatizing and people on oxygen.  They do 100 to 200 vaccinations a day rotating through the various community offices so they are at my doctor's office one day a week.  

My mom's care facility is being done through CVS and she'll get her second dose on Friday.  I read where quite a few pharmacies will be getting vaccine soon so there is another opportunity for people for whom the super stations are too trying.  The more locations that can vaccinate, the better I think.  

25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My parents will both get their second vaccine shot by next week.  After that processes, it'll give me some peace about their health, however, I will have to be even more careful being around them.   I recently realized that with the vaccine, the patient won't get sick, but, they can still HAVE covid and pass it on to others!  Have you heard this?  Oh well.....I'll just have to be more careful, though, I know they will start to be less so.  

Yes, all my doctors have emphasized that even though I'm getting vaccinated, I should change nothing about masking, hand sanitizing, distancing, and avoiding travel, gatherings, crowded places, etc. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can relate.  I've had my eyes done 3 times. (One was a revision on one eye.)  I've had eye issues for the last few years and it's a huge deal. They are much better now.  I wish you all the best.  PM me anytime.  Are you having the surgery in the office or hospital?  

Thanks! I'm hoping this is the last bit there is to fix, twice is enough. I'm doing it at a day surgery center since I opted to do general anesthesia; they offer local but I have high anxiety when things come at my eyes and I prefer to be totally unconscious for all of this, lol. 

• Love 5

Mr. Turquoise and I have Covid. He tested positive last week, We're assuming he picked up it at work, because his boss and one of his coworkers are "Mah rights!" people who refuse to follow the mask mandate. Naturally I have been quarantined with him, and started with symptoms about 4 days after. We've had relatively mild cases, but still haven't had the energy to do a ton. I still had month end though...an accountant has never truly lived until they do month end with Covid. 🙄 But, I made it, and we're starting to show improvement. Today was the first day I felt like catching up, all the snow and doggie pics were pretty. 🙂

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Two very large medical groups in our county that both operate one or more super stations in conjunction with the county are getting smaller amounts of vaccine to vaccinate patients in their practice.  For the practice where I go, the PCP has to put a note in the chart that the person would be better served with an in-office vaccination.  In my case it's due to previous vaccine reactions.  Other people there had Alzheimer's and a mass site would be difficult or traumatizing and people on oxygen.  They do 100 to 200 vaccinations a day rotating through the various community offices so they are at my doctor's office one day a week.  

My mom's care facility is being done through CVS and she'll get her second dose on Friday.  I read where quite a few pharmacies will be getting vaccine soon so there is another opportunity for people for whom the super stations are too trying.  The more locations that can vaccinate, the better I think.  

Yes, all my doctors have emphasized that even though I'm getting vaccinated, I should change nothing about masking, hand sanitizing, distancing, and avoiding travel, gatherings, crowded places, etc. 

My employer is also getting vaccine for distribution to patients.  There is a computer app which patients can access to get their medical info and ask questions, etc and the doctor's office can send messages to patients.  They've got it programmed so that, as a patient meets whatever the current criteria for vaccination, they will be invited to come in and be vaccinated.  The invites are only sent once we have a dose on hand for the individual being invited so as not to crash the system.  My employer has set up vaccine sites in multiple hospitals and outpatient health centers and, when the invite comes, all you have to do is click on the center you want and you will automatically be offered 3 possible times to come in.  That's exactly what they did for employees and it worked great.  I was in and out in about 20 minutes, including the 15 minute observation afterwards.  To get on the list, a patient has to have been seen by a provider within the system sometime in the past two years and has to have the app.  Unfortunately, supply has been a problem, as it has been elsewhere.

I would imagine that many people whose doctors are part of huge multispecialty groups will get similar invites. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

So far, so good. Another group of co-workers received their second covid vaccine doses. Again no severe symptoms. One ran a fever, even had night sweats but had no achiness, other than a sore arm (again) and a dull headache.

• Love 11

I was supposed to get my 2nd dose tomorrow, but we are expecting a blizzard so the drive to the next town over on a country highway with hills and bends didn't seem wise. I rescheduled for next Friday. I'm really bummed about it, even though I know logically it's ok. I don't think I realized how much I was looking forward to that 2nd dose being done with so I could worry a little less. I told my husband that we'd better actually have the blizzard or I am going to be seriously angry! Next Friday is also my daughter's birthday so I'm really bummed that I will probably feel kind of crummy and won't get to just lay in bed like I could have this weekend. Bad mental health day today, I guess. I just really wanted it done tomorrow on the 28th day and am having a lot of anxiety about it not happening. But I'm still luckier than most since I'm actually going to get it sooner than a lot of people. 

My husband was supposed to get his first dose on Monday through a vaccination clinic for the school district. Then the county only got 300 doses so they cancelled for the district and have offered them to elderly in the public. No word on when he will be rescheduled yet, and we are now in person 5 days a week.

• Love 6