Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

I am giving these to all of my grandparents to fill out for their greatgrands. And I’m going to ride them like seabiscuit until they are back in my custody! This is a wonderful idea. 

As a current grandma, please reconsider pushing the grandparents.  On one hand I think it's a potentially nice idea while on the other if anyone gave me homework at this point in my life and wanted to ride me "like Seabiscuit" they might not get the reaction they are wanting.  I'd be more likely to donate or simply trashcan the book(s) immediately.  I think possibly ask the grandparents in question if they have any interest in such a project.  Some of us have enough on our plates already or might have no interest in filling out a book.  

• Love 13
8 hours ago, beckie said:

Went to sleep early tonight,  and woke up about two hours ago with this incredibly LOUD ringing in my right ear. I've had a headache off and on all week and am prone to really awful attacks of vertigo. Not sure what to do about it. I'd really like to go back to sleep,  but can't because of the loud noise,  but I don't want to go to the hospital because of them being bogged down with covid stuff.

Last time something like this happened,  I had the noise in both ears and it was more like radio frequency that happened for two days then, wham I got hit with the worst attack of vertigo I'd ever had.  Dr's don't know why its happening.  The ear dr speculated after doing the tests that it MIGHT be migraines causing them because afterward I have the worst headaches for days. She also told me that I have some hearing loss in the ear that I'm hearing the loud noise in right now. I'm beginning to wish I had more than some hearing loss in this ear, because its annoying and I really want to go back to bed!

It sounds like Meniere's Disease to me.  There are things you can do to help with the vertigo attacks.  Certain exercises.  Some people have some relief from their tinnitus by making dietary changes or changing medications.  Google vestibular disorders and see if the description matches your symptoms.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I watched that too. I was hoping @Zella was watching - we're not paranoid! 😁

Regarding snow. I'm a life long New Englander and my husband grew up in the Great Lakes area and has lived in New England his adult life. Our cities and towns know how to keep our roads clear and we may be used to snow and know how to drive in it, but trust me, snow storms are huge pains in the ass, at least for the first day, and longer if its a big one and/or the power goes out.

Our 'winter of', is the Winter of '78. The '78 memes are already all over FB and this current storm isn't hitting us until today.

So now that I'm in my 50s, please excuse me while I run to the grocery store to grab "milk and bread". There's a snow storm a comin'.

I remember that blizzard, I was in college at Ohio State, living off-campus.  The entire city shut down, people were cross country skiing down the main roads. Our apartment building had a laundry room in the garage behind the building and I remember trying to cross the parking lot carrying my laundry bag and not being able to stand upright in the wind.

On a bright note, the storm hit the day before we were scheduled to have a major midterm in the really difficult Comparative Anatomy class I and one of my room mates were taking.  We ended up looking the prof up in the phone book to be sure the exam was canceled.  His exasperated wife, who had already received dozens of calls from his students, was less excited about the cancellation than we were.

• LOL 14
43 minutes ago, Absolom said:

As a current grandma, please reconsider pushing the grandparents.  On one hand I think it's a potentially nice idea while on the other if anyone gave me homework at this point in my life and wanted to ride me "like Seabiscuit" they might not get the reaction they are wanting.  I'd be more likely to donate or simply trashcan the book(s) immediately.  I think possibly ask the grandparents in question if they have any interest in such a project.  Some of us have enough on our plates already or might have no interest in filling out a book.  

I think it also isn't a bad idea to ask the grandparents, if they aren't enthused about the book idea, if they'd be willing to spend half an hour recording responses to some of the questions. Even the busiest grandparent would probably be able to do that.  Like I said, I have a tape of my aunt and she was a terrific storyteller and put a lot of her heart into what she recorded.  Hearing her voice again is a gift, too..

• Love 8

This is the meme that gets shared on the local county FB page (a rich source of drama, gossip, meltdowns, and memes) every time any winter weather is predicted here:

we-need-bread-and-milk-so-we-can-make-mi

For me, the most infamous winter storm is of course not a blizzard but an ice storm in January of 2009. It dropped about 3 inches of ice and knocked out power to over 300,000 people. It's still referred to as Ice-pocalypse here. My power was out for 2 weeks, and I was iced in with my brother. I read Lord of the Flies for the first time for a class assignment during that period.

giphy.gif

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Absolom said:

In my case they will actually like the idea and would enjoy it, and “riding them like seabiscuit” is my funny way of saying remind them. We’ve been surrounded by a lot of death from Covid and they’ll all be happy to do this for the great grands. If I had a grandparent who wasn’t into sentimental things or not close to the kids I wouldn’t even bother.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I watched that too. I was hoping @Zella was watching - we're not paranoid! 😁

Regarding snow. I'm a life long New Englander and my husband grew up in the Great Lakes area and has lived in New England his adult life. Our cities and towns know how to keep our roads clear and we may be used to snow and know how to drive in it, but trust me, snow storms are huge pains in the ass, at least for the first day, and longer if its a big one and/or the power goes out.

Our 'winter of', is the Winter of '78. The '78 memes are already all over FB and this current storm isn't hitting us until today.

So now that I'm in my 50s, please excuse me while I run to the grocery store to grab "milk and bread". There's a snow storm a comin'.

We experienced the winter of 1978 here in Ohio too! A month off school. It was fun but I do remember a lot of snow shoveling.

• Love 6

Massachusetts had a bad blizzard in 1978 too - I wonder if it was the same weather system? There were a lot of cars stranded on the highways during the storm, and I think all travel was banned for about a week. Until the last few years every time we had a major snow event the forecasters would compare it to the Blizzard of ‘78. I think the winter of 2014-2015 is now the high water mark, so to speak. 

It’s now snowing here, and with the wind it’s coming down almost horizontal. It’s supposed to get windier, which raises concerns of power outages. I’m fine with the snow, but power outages are so annoying. 

• Love 8

@iwantcookies:  I taught school in Brooklyn for 27 years. 

When I gave a speech at my retirement party, I  calculated that the NYC schools were closed for less than 10 days for snow related reasons during those 27 years.  One of the days  when the schools did not close was a Friday with about 15 inches of snow on the ground.  Only about 300 of our 1300 students came to school that day.....

As I got closer to my retirement, I would make my decision on whether or not to go in based on road conditions( I had a 30 mile one way drive to school) and how hard it would be to dig my car out.  I had enough days in my bank to be able to use one for a weather related absence, so I didn’t hesitate to use them.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Ohio in 1978.

ABA8082F-1150-4B81-BBFB-459540DAB5B9.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that picture is from Massachusetts. I went to Milton, MA a lot because family friends lived there, and I know there is a exit to Rt 138 Milton on the way. (We didn't take that exit because they lived on the other end of Milton.) I can't tell what direction this is--going towards Boston or going towards Providence, but seeing that sign is making me miss my friends there right now. And then I remember they moved to Plymouth this summer.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@frenchtoast, I think you are right! Pretty sure I have seen that sign, as I am Milton-adjacent.

There is a Milton, Ohio.  It's in Mahoning County where Youngstown is located.  There is a state route 138 in Ohio, but it looks like it is south of there.

Here's a pic of a truck abandoned on the freeway near Mansfield, about an hour north of Columbus.

blizzard 78.jpg

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

Massachusetts had a bad blizzard in 1978 too - I wonder if it was the same weather system? There were a lot of cars stranded on the highways during the storm, and I think all travel was banned for about a week. Until the last few years every time we had a major snow event the forecasters would compare it to the Blizzard of ‘78. I think the winter of 2014-2015 is now the high water mark, so to speak. 

It’s now snowing here, and with the wind it’s coming down almost horizontal. It’s supposed to get windier, which raises concerns of power outages. I’m fine with the snow, but power outages are so annoying. 

I think the winter of 2014 - 2015 was the snowiest winter in MA since the 90s, but I don't believe that year had one snow event that compared to the blizzard of 1978. Most places got between 2' - 3'.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, beckie said:

Went to sleep early tonight,  and woke up about two hours ago with this incredibly LOUD ringing in my right ear. I've had a headache off and on all week and am prone to really awful attacks of vertigo. Not sure what to do about it. I'd really like to go back to sleep,  but can't because of the loud noise,  but I don't want to go to the hospital because of them being bogged down with covid stuff.

Beckie, like  @anyasmom said, sounds like Mernier’s disease to me. I get that too and these exercises really help me. (I get vertigo and tinnitus.) Do the exercises three or four times a day. I like to hang my head over the side of the bed or couch, looking up at the ceiling instead of just turning my head. Do everything slowly, count to 30 when your head is turned. Sit up slowly. Wait 30 seconds, do the other side.

Another exercise,  the half summersault, is below. But it can make you dizzy, so just give it a try slowly.  Good luck, hope it helps you like it does me.

Google: pictures of exercises for vertigo

image.thumb.png.ad56e75ddabee461b8b9fa2b68ce3f5d.png

image.jpeg.e85b96a93e07b95f388ce5c81c46efe8.jpeg

image.gif

Edited by Love2dance
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Happy birthday @madpsych78! Hope you have a lovely celebration.

You should be very proud, @Zella of your health progress. Good job!

@Happyfatchick, I know I bug you every year to please write a book about your family adventures. Well, it’s a new year, so after your last several amazing posts, I’m asking you again. You are such a great storyteller.

I can’t write a book!  My mom is gone and you’d be my only sale.  🤪

also:  on your last post about exercises for Mernier’s:  my mind always reads ahead of my eyes, so I often have to read a sentence twice to clarify.  Reading the sentence “I like to hang my head...” my brain finished it with “out the at window like a dog and bark at other cars...”.  It’s sort of like auto correct but more like “auto guess the end of this story”.  
when I was in 6th grade, I had a WONDERFUL English teacher who really encouraged me to read read read, and write write write.  She really caught that unique thing about me and pushed me all year.   I never realized until I was grown what a gift she was.  About once a month she would come in with a tape recorder.  On it, she had recorded random sounds.  I remember once she recorded someone typing and then paused and said “oh SHOOT!!”, then the paper was yanked out, crumpled up and tossed.  We were to make up a story about her recorded noise.  Every single time, she would say, HFC, you have to stop now, everyone else has left...”

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Zella said:

My power was out for 2 weeks, and I was iced in with my brother. I read Lord of the Flies for the first time for a class assignment during that period.

if only I could have this in my background story.  THEN I could say “there was this once time I was iced in with my brother and I accidentally read LORD OF THE FLIES...

This would explain so much (for me)

• LOL 12

I have had tinnitis for years and years now.  Those fancy bottles of tea like Pure can surely set mine off.  Otherwise I live with it.  I could not imagine not hearing the noise.  Strange how those kind of things become constants.

Regarding the Grandmother memories books I would certainly suggest that you set down with them and make it a project between the two of you.  If you send them or drop them off I'm pretty sure they won't be completed unless Grandma is into family history.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I have had tinnitis for years and years now.  Those fancy bottles of tea like Pure can surely set mine off.  Otherwise I live with it.  I could not imagine not hearing the noise.  Strange how those kind of things become constants.

Mine is constant, too. For years and years. Sometimes it’s a low squeal, but usually it’s very loud. Fortunately, the vertigo is just occasionally.

1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Regarding the Grandmother memories books I would certainly suggest that you set down with them and make it a project between the two of you.  If you send them or drop them off I'm pretty sure they won't be completed unless Grandma is into family history.

35 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Mine is constant, too. For years and years. Sometimes it’s a low squeal, but usually it’s very loud. Fortunately, the vertigo is just occasionally.

i have it too and right now its loud!   i have had 2 vicious attacks of vertigo over the years and it has left me with bad balance. cant tell you all how often i trip myself becuase i step wrong and throw off my balance.  

Happy belated birthday and birthday to @ginger90, @GeeGolly, and @madpsych78!

On the topic of relatives' journals: one of the things I found when we were cleaning out the house after we moved Dad into memory care was a blank book where my mom recorded the books she read. She was a voracious reader and recorded her reading alphabetically by author with a litte capsule review of her thoughts on the book. You can trace her decline (she died of Alzheimer's) in it--her handwriting changes, she stops being able to alphabetize, her comments are less insightful. Still, I treasure it and have written a piece about it. 

I started keeping a journal (as a google doc) when we went into shelter-in-place mode 324 days ago and have managed to keep it up almost daily. Some days, it is just what I did, what I cooked, and the like. Some days it is dreams I had the previous night. Some days it is external events. Some days it is about Dad's decline. I want to have it to look back on and I think it could be useful as the basis for some future writing after this is all over. I wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to read it.

I remember the blizzard of 78, too! Tons of snow in Southern Indiana. Dad picked up extra money by plowing snow using his pick-up with a snowplow blade on it (he plowed the church lot for free, I think). (Once he dropped the blade on his foot as he was putting it on the truck. This is how I learned you had to wear steel-toes shoes if you had a broken toe.) Sometimes he would take my sister or me with him when he plowed, which was always exciting.

Edited by jcbrown
apostrophes are people too
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

There is a Milton, Ohio.  It's in Mahoning County where Youngstown is located.  There is a state route 138 in Ohio, but it looks like it is south of there.

Here's a pic of a truck abandoned on the freeway near Mansfield, about an hour north of Columbus.

blizzard 78.jpg

Interesting that there is a Milton/RT138 in both places! There must have been similar amounts of snow in both, as there are pictures of the interstate here taken during the storm and it looks like that too. So glad I was not in either one! 

So far no accumulation where I’m at, and now it’s just rain and wind. Maybe there will be some snow here overnight.

• Love 5

Belated birthday wishes to all recent celebrants!  

Once again, Baltimore got lucky with the winter weather.  We were forecasted for anywhere from 6" to 12+" inches, but the highest recording in the county was 4.2".  In our neighborhood, we got roughly 2" but last night brought us 1/4" of ice.  Mr. Six & I went out yesterday to clear our walks and clean off the cars, and it was the nice fluffy snow.  We went back out this morning to break up all the ice.  I ended up going back out to get my car cleaned off.  The ice was literally breaking off in sheets, and I managed to get bruised when one slid off my car right into my knuckles.  Mr. Six is taking my "stupid safe car" (Subaru Crosstrek with AWD) tomorrow.  I fully expected him to say screw it and take his.  

A handful of the kids that live on the street above us decided to go sledding.  One of them came down and ended up smacking his head off a tree.  I heard the little girl asking if he was ok, and he wasn't getting up.  I went over to make sure he was ok while a third kid went to get their mom.  Thankfully, he wasn't bleeding and he was able to get up on his own to walk home.  We don't have kids, but damn, that "mom gene" came on real quick.  

I hope everyone stays safe and warm!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

Belated birthday wishes to all recent celebrants!  

Once again, Baltimore got lucky with the winter weather.  We were forecasted for anywhere from 6" to 12+" inches, but the highest recording in the county was 4.2".  In our neighborhood, we got roughly 2" but last night brought us 1/4" of ice.  Mr. Six & I went out yesterday to clear our walks and clean off the cars, and it was the nice fluffy snow.  We went back out this morning to break up all the ice.  I ended up going back out to get my car cleaned off.  The ice was literally breaking off in sheets, and I managed to get bruised when one slid off my car right into my knuckles.  Mr. Six is taking my "stupid safe car" (Subaru Crosstrek with AWD) tomorrow.  I fully expected him to say screw it and take his.  

A handful of the kids that live on the street above us decided to go sledding.  One of them came down and ended up smacking his head off a tree.  I heard the little girl asking if he was ok, and he wasn't getting up.  I went over to make sure he was ok while a third kid went to get their mom.  Thankfully, he wasn't bleeding and he was able to get up on his own to walk home.  We don't have kids, but damn, that "mom gene" came on real quick.  

I hope everyone stays safe and warm!

are you in the area of perry hall? 

So instead of the 15  tiny humans I usually have in class (virtual of course) today I had 8. Yes, 8.  I think everyone else wanted a snow day and took it. Tomorrow will probably be no different. Ugh. My sons class had 12 absent and my twins had 7 or 8 absent in both classes. Stupid school district. 

Still digesting everything from last week. My head is still spinning.. 

Edited by QuinnInND
Because 15 and 18 are 2 different numbers.
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Several liked my book suggestion of The Glass Castle.

May I recommend Still Alice by Lisa Genova.  One of my favorite book club reads.

Did you recommend Lisa Genova books earlier too? I sort of recall someone here recommending and I did read a couple of her books. They were excellent! Thanks.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Well it’s after midnight and I’m baking walnut brownies. No wonder I’m gaining weight. 

Do you prefer brownies with nuts or plain? 

Oh, with, definitely.  Walnuts are perfect!  Great...now I want a brownie!  😄

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Did you recommend Lisa Genova books earlier too? I sort of recall someone here recommending and I did read a couple of her books. They were excellent! Thanks.

No I haven't read any other books by Genova but I'll certainly look them up.

I suggested Still Alice because I was reading posts about Alzheimer's and Dementia.  Thought it might be of interest.

2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Well it’s after midnight and I’m baking walnut brownies. No wonder I’m gaining weight. 

Do you prefer brownies with nuts or plain? 

Gosh now I want a brownie with walnuts too!  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

@iwantcookies, my brownies need to have no walnuts. I’m a chocolate purist. I like walnuts, but not in my brownies or chocolate chip cookies or candy bars. Now I’m hungry, but it’s too late! 🙂

Same. If there are to be nuts included in brownie, I prefer pecans to walnuts. 

• Love 4
On 2/1/2021 at 6:23 AM, ChiCricket said:

I found this😂 

Replace Wisconsin with Illinois, and change  the Packers for the Bears if you read it though 😁

Screenshot_20210131-175203.jpg

And this is what is posted in my neck of the woods. 😁

image.thumb.png.97318664ae68805e40e2c31dfff41103.png

• LOL 13

10 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Several liked my book suggestion of The Glass Castle.

May I recommend Still Alice by Lisa Genova.  One of my favorite book club reads.

These are two of my all time faves as well.  I also loved the Edward books - I forget the writer but it’s McSomething.  McAllister?  Craig (just popped in my head).  
One of my friends has a daughter who is a voracious reader like myself.  And recently I happened into Amazon (or whatever it is) and bought a boatload of $3 books.  I bought a bunch and they were mostly GOOD!!  Usually I ditch quite a few.  I made her a list and I’m attaching it.  These aren’t my LIST” )the one that gets locked up with the (Coca Cola and Coronel Sanders), just some from the cheap list that I thought were pretty good. 

131EA9D8-02B0-4654-A3A8-5DACE05A200A.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 5