Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I watched Up in the the theater with my kids. Trying my damnedest not to sob outright. And Toy Story 3--in theater with kids. And when Woody and Co. were headed to the incinerator all I could think of, "Pixar wouldn't make me have to explain that, would they?" I walked in to Toy Story 2 during "When She Loved Me" was on and my daughter asked me what the song was about and I'm not really holding it together trying to say that she's sad because her little girl gave her up.

We have yet to see Inside Out. I've heard that was quite the tear jerker too.

• Love 3

My Dog Skip is a wonderful movie. I took my girls to see it while it was in the theaters and my youngest turned to me at the end and said "great movie, Mom!" with tears running down her face. She was being totally sarcastic. We were out to kill some time when they were on a break from school and I thought it would be a happy movie about a boy and his dog. It is a great movie but if you have ever had a pet it can be tough to watch. I could cry just thinking of it now.

• Love 2

I watched Up in the the theater with my kids. Trying my damnedest not to sob outright. And Toy Story 3--in theater with kids. And when Woody and Co. were headed to the incinerator all I could think of, "Pixar wouldn't make me have to explain that, would they?" I walked in to Toy Story 2 during "When She Loved Me" was on and my daughter asked me what the song was about and I'm not really holding it together trying to say that she's sad because her little girl gave her up.

Toy Story 3. I'm 24, so I grew up with those movies. I sobbed loudly through the movie. Then I sobbed ever harder and louder at the end because I realized it was a chapter of my life closing.

I'm a sap though. I cried during Gaurdian's of the Galaxy and I've been know to sob because of General Hospital.

• Love 4

If anyone wants  a recommendation for something NEVER to rent, buy or show to any unaware children under the age of 80 or so, I nominate "Ring of Bright Water". My kids, now 24-30 still will not trust any animal movie, much less one produced in England, since I unwittingly brought this home some 20 years ago.

It was actually a very charming film, based on a true story (which might have been a clue) about a man on the coast of England who befriends a young otter. All continues in semi-predictable fashion until,

out of the blue a neighboring farmer, thinking the otter is the animal who has been killing chickens/eating crops/whatever/ I don't recall bludgeons and kills it as it gambols happily along the ditch at the side of a road.

Oh, and shoutout to those who mentioned crying over Puff the Magic Dragon earlier...That's one I blubber over as well. Though my most predictable tear-inducer is the last chapter of The House at Pooh Corner. Even reading it to myself, but especially if I have to (for whatever reason) read or even paraphrase anything beyond where Christopher Robin explains how he's not going to do 'nothing' anymore...forget it...full on sobbing.

• Love 4

Sobbed like a baby at inside out. Not just boo hoo, but gasping for air, nasal secretions, alarming people around me, crying.

• Love 2

Oh gosh, I saw Toy Story 2 in theatres while I was in high school. I was on a double date with my best friend, and we were both clutching hands and sobbing during that damn song. I haven't been brave enough to watch Toy Story 3 yet, even though I know it has a happy ending.

Burlsa, I teared up during Guardians too when they all join hands at the end. Fun fact: my husband and I have that on as background noise right now.

Oh, Jynnan Tonnix, House at Pooh Corner always gets me too.

• Love 2

When I was little, we watched Gunsmoke every week. All gathered around the same TV in the same room. Dirty Sally, remember her? And her mule Worthless? And Worthless get shot in a gun battle (as far as I recall, anyway). And he dies, and Dirty Sally with her toothless self thrown over that mule sobbing, "Worthless! Oh Worthless!!!" I'm pretty sure my very stoic Dad cried over that one.

Even younger, when Shirley Temple was The Little Princess, and gets sent to a boarding school while he's in the war. They tell her he's "gone", but of course, she doesn't believe him and keeps sneaking off to the various hospitals looking for him. Finds him, but he has amnesia. Noes sitting there staring off into space murmuring "Sarah. Sarah." And she grabs his head in her hands and cries out "Daddy! I'm Sarah! I'M SARAH!!!"

And like all good women in the south, I know most of the dialog from Steel Magnolias. (King James and Steel Magnolias. Jk!). I read somewhere that Sally Field was extremely exhausted when they filmed the cemetery scene, it had been a long filming day. Whatever the reason, EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I see that scene, it absolutely slays me. Her face, OMG. She brings you right into that moment with her and it's such a heart wrenching, gut punching moment. Kills me every time.

• Love 7

I don't know if I'm going to be able to contain myself when I see the Peanuts movie.  I think I'm looking forward to this more than my boys.  I've been a huge Peanuts fan for years.  When my oldest son was born, we had a Snoopy themed nursery for him with Baby Snoopy bedding.  My baby shower cake had a giant picture of Sailor Snoopy on it (hubby is in the Navy).  I have a feeling that there are going to be a few tears in my eyes when I hear that Peanuts theme song. 

• Love 3

When I was little, we watched Gunsmoke every week. All gathered around the same TV in the same room. Dirty Sally, remember her? And her mule Worthless? And Worthless get shot in a gun battle (as far as I recall, anyway). And he dies, and Dirty Sally with her toothless self thrown over that mule sobbing, "Worthless! Oh Worthless!!!" I'm pretty sure my very stoic Dad cried over that one.

Even younger, when Shirley Temple was The Little Princess, and gets sent to a boarding school while he's in the war. They tell her he's "gone", but of course, she doesn't believe him and keeps sneaking off to the various hospitals looking for him. Finds him, but he has amnesia. Noes sitting there staring off into space murmuring "Sarah. Sarah." And she grabs his head in her hands and cries out "Daddy! I'm Sarah! I'M SARAH!!!"

And like all good women in the south, I know most of the dialog from Steel Magnolias. (King James and Steel Magnolias. Jk!). I read somewhere that Sally Field was extremely exhausted when they filmed the cemetery scene, it had been a long filming day. Whatever the reason, EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I see that scene, it absolutely slays me. Her face, OMG. She brings you right into that moment with her and it's such a heart wrenching, gut punching moment. Kills me every time.

You just gave me a bit of a moment. My grandpa had a farm in the Midwest. Most summers we went to visit and he had usually one dog that seemed to change fairly often. Every visit we'd ask the dog's name. He'd say Worthless. So to us it was Worthless One, Worthless Two, etc. I'll just now bet he got that idea from Gunsmoke.

Mr. lookeyloo, who is happy to watch any kind of violent movie, refuses to watch an animal movie/show if said animal dies at the end.  Regardless of how.  Even peacefully of old age.  I don't like them either.  He felt like he was tricked as a kid with "Old Yeller".

• Love 4

I've never heard of most of the books here.  Thankfully.  Saw Bambi and decided Disney hated kids.  Saw Old Yeller and can't bear thinking about it.  No story with the dog dies in it is for me.  In school I was not ever in reading class because I was bored to death and misbehaved so went to the convent library and read to my heart's content.  No kid stuff.  I don't cry.  But I fell horrible and ache inside.  The only cartoons I could ever tolerate were roadrunner, pep pie la pew, and tubby the tuba.  Oddly, I liked biographies, war stories, science.  I was an odd kid but if you tried to give me the teacher reading and showing pictures I'd really go out of my mind.

• Love 1

I cried and cried during Toy Story 3; but Toy Story 2 got me too- the song Jessie sings about when her girl stopped loving and playing with her. I was in high school, and went home and apologized to all the dolls I had sitting on my shelves (I was never able to give them away- I still have them all... though again, they just sit.) 

Up slayed me. I cried so much during the beginning that I couldn't enjoy the rest of it at all. I've only seen it once, but never planned on seeing it again.  Now, going through an infant loss I KNOW I'll never see it again- there is no way I could handle it.  I guess the only "good" thing is my husband and I have already done our dream trip together...so I don't have to worry about dying before he does it on his own.

Lemur, I can't quote from my Kindle, but yes, I think Love You Forever was written after multiple miscarriages and a stillborn son. If I remember correctly, he and his wife were having trouble coping with not being able to watch their babies grow up. Maybe that makes it even creepier to some of you, but I think it's just heartbreaking. We own a copy of the book but have never read it to our girls, as neither my husband nor I can read it without bawling, especially since we heard why he wrote it.

This is what I have heard too- he wrote it as a song to help his wife grieve; the words make a lot of sense in that context; a baby that doesn't grow up will always be a baby.  When it became a book that showed living children, it became creepy.  But now even thinking about it makes me cry, there is no way I'll ever be able to read any future children that. I could never get through it.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 4

The thing with Old Yeller is the movie was over. They had been through their trials and tribulations and had happily emerged. The movie could have ended right there on a happy note. They didn't need to tack on the end bit. I think it was done to be provocative and it worked cause here we are 40 years later..... and that's what bothers me. I feel like the emotions of children were being manipulated and I just don't see the point.

• Love 6

I've never watched Ol'Yeller because my mom bought the Disney book that went with the movie and I knew Ol'Yeller dies.  I never thought the puppies Ol'Yeller fathered ever made up for the loss.  I did see Bambi and cried my eyes out.  We even had the Disney record with Annette F. reading the story, everytime she got to the part, "Your mother's gone and she is not coming back," I cried. 

I didn't cry at Puff, but boy did I cry the second time I hear Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey." 

Since the Holiday season will soon be on us, "Nestor, the Long-Eared Donkey" was one of the Christmas shows that always made my nephews bawl their eyes out. Ah Christmas, such joy!

One of our family jokes is the fact that my daughter and I will cry at ANYTHING even remotely emotional. As a 4th grader I had to read "The Yearling" and cried so hard I got sick. When my daughter got married this past June she gave a gift to both her future MIL and myself. My gift was a lovely necklace, but what really got me was the personalized note inside :" I'll love you forever, I'LL LIKE YOU FOR ALWAYS, As long as I'm living, MY MOMMY YOU'LL BE. The photographer was ever so kind to take many "ugly crying" pictures of me. The note is stored in my wallet. Forever.

• Love 8

I don't like the cold.  Low thyroid, low blood volume, etc.  I can never really get warm in the winter, no matter how many layers I wear.  Cold from the inside doesn't go away with another sweater.  We were in Europe during the heat wave this summer.  Very unusual.  Our family said we would rather be uncomfortable hot vs. uncomfortable cold

You can thank my daughter for the heat wave.  Anytime she travel she seems to take heat with her.  She went to LA to visit her brother once, and they had near record or record highs every day she was there. Her brother has moved to Hotlanta so it is almost always stifling when she visits. She went to Vancouver, and again brought unseasonable weather. She was in Europe for this summer's heat wave, and the summer she spent abroad in England ended up being unusually warm and she had to go buy more sundresses.

My husband, who is from Texas, was amused by an ad when he was stationed in Germany for a product (I would guess laundry or bath soap) that advertised "mild as the summer sun."

I am almost always cold, except if I am very hot.

• Love 2

The story of The Little Match Girl brings tears to my eyes every time.

Okay, this one always creeps me out.  I watched it as a kid in third grade and it always kind of stuck with me.  Then, as an adult, I read a book about the 1888 blizzard that roared across the Plains and eventually hit New York.  The storm trapped a lot of kids in their one-room schools or caught them out on the Plains trying to get home.  It included a detailed description of what it's like to freeze to death, including the effects on the brain that create hallucinations and paradoxical undressing.  And it was exactly that moment that I realized just how incredibly fucked up The Little Match Girl was. 

I'm a sap though. I cried during Gaurdian's of the Galaxy and I've been know to sob because of General Hospital.

I'm not a cryer in the least, but the "WE are Groot" scene did pull on the strings that control the blackened pit that used to be my heart.

I admittedly haven't watched a Disney/Pixar or other brand of kids' movie since roughly 1997 as they just do nothing for me.  But if you want to talk about truly fucked up children's entertainment, I'll suggest the triple bill of the Secret of NIHM (the rats and the Great Owl were creepy as hell), E.T. (that scene where "dead" E.T. is in the cooler still freaks me out, I had to be removed from the theater for that one), and the coup de grace, the ultimate in highly questionable, The Plague Dogs (in short, two dogs escape from a lab where they may or may not have been infected with bubonic plague and the hunt for them that ensues while they try to survive outside, brought to you by the same man who wrote Watership Down).  I can deal with Disney's dead parents/absentee parenting all day long when compared to The Plague Dogs, it's just horrifying.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 1

I've never watched Ol'Yeller because my mom bought the Disney book that went with the movie and I knew Ol'Yeller dies.  I never thought the puppies Ol'Yeller fathered ever made up for the loss.  I did see Bambi and cried my eyes out.  We even had the Disney record with Annette F. reading the story, everytime she got to the part, "Your mother's gone and she is not coming back," I cried. 

I didn't cry at Puff, but boy did I cry the second time I hear Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey." 

Since the Holiday season will soon be on us, "Nestor, the Long-Eared Donkey" was one of the Christmas shows that always made my nephews bawl their eyes out. Ah Christmas, such joy!

Omg "Honey" placed me firmly on the suicide high risk list at the age of 7.

• Love 4

Thirty some-odd years ago I worked in a phrmacy where the radio was always set to some sort of "easy-listening" station which played "Honey" with annoying regularity. I always hated that song to start with because, frankly, it's just not a good song; the melody is all but non-existent and the lyrics a combination of mind-numbingly simplistic and manipulative. But it does what it intends to do, which is to make you cry. I always had to either find some filing to do in the basement or steel myself to avoid listening to it so as not to end up all snuffly while serving customers.

• Love 1

I don't cry easily but the end of the Hallmark movie "Head of the Class" gets me every time, no matter how many times I watch it.  It's based on the life of Brad Cohen, a young man with Tourette's syndrome who wants to be a teacher.  James Wolk should have received an Emmy for his portrayal of Brad.  It was truly stellar.  There are many moving scenes in the movie.  Highly recommended.  Showed it to my junior high classes at the end of the year and, after I explained about Tourette's, there was ABSOLUTE silence as they watched it.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to contain myself when I see the Peanuts movie.  I think I'm looking forward to this more than my boys.  I've been a huge Peanuts fan for years.  When my oldest son was born, we had a Snoopy themed nursery for him with Baby Snoopy bedding.  My baby shower cake had a giant picture of Sailor Snoopy on it (hubby is in the Navy).  I have a feeling that there are going to be a few tears in my eyes when I hear that Peanuts theme song. 

A critic of the new Peanuts movie lamented that Charlie Brown did not have a girlfriend of color...not diverse enough.  The response from some of the viewers of Fox and Friends this morning:

Fat Albert didn't have a white girlfriend so why should Charlie Brown have a black or brown girlfriend?

Charlie Brown loves the little red-haired girl.  Orange is the new black.  Problem solved!

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 4

I'm a sap though. I cried during Gaurdian's of the Galaxy and I've been known to sob because of General Hospital.

burlsa, you can come sit by me. I just teared up during part of Pitch Perfect 2. Pitch Perfect 2, y'all. I cry at the drop of a hat and I hate it.

I have my minor neck surgery tomorrow morning and I found out last night that a girl I used to know in high school died unexpectedly yesterday during surgery. She leaves behind twin 3 year olds. I'm just kind of numb. It's been a crappy week.

• Love 2

The movie "Tomorrow" with Robert DuVall is my kryptonite. I can hardly even THINK about it.

My sister has a tree named Honey. Because - of course - when she planted it, t'was just a twig.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5

A critic of the new Peanuts movie lamented that Charlie Brown did not have a girlfriend of color...not diverse enough. The response from some of the viewers of Fox and Friends this morning:

Fat Albert didn't have a white girlfriend so why should Charlie Brown have a black or brown girlfriend?

Charlie Brown loves the little red-haired girl. Orange is the new black. Problem solved!

I am dying over this! Esp the Fat Albert comparison. Is "moronity" a word? Because moronity scares and entertains me in equal measure.

• Love 5

Agree - the Toy Stories, Up, and My Dog Skip are all big tear jerkers and wonderful movies.  Another one is "Bridge to Terabithia" which you will need a box of tissues for.

My favorite Shirley Temple movie is "Heidi" but that might be because I loved the book as a girl.

• Love 2

Bridge to Terebitha makes me cry every time. Also, the first ten minutes of frozen, during Do You Wanna Build A Snowman? I saw it in theatres with a bunch of little kids and their parents and all parents and I were sobbing but none of the kids cared. Also the second act to any broadway show, basically but Hamilton, currently. Once Hurricane starts to play, I am a sobbing mess.

• Love 1

burlsa, you can come sit by me. I just teared up during part of Pitch Perfect 2. Pitch Perfect 2, y'all. I cry at the drop of a hat and I hate it.

I have my minor neck surgery tomorrow morning and I found out last night that a girl I used to know in high school died unexpectedly yesterday during surgery. She leaves behind twin 3 year olds. I'm just kind of numb. It's been a crappy week.

EMMA675, so sorry. That had to be such upsetting news. I'm sure you will be fine...be sure to check back in with us when you can. Hugs and good wishes to you!

• Love 2

I don't cry easily but the end of the Hallmark movie "Head of the Class" gets me every time, no matter how many times I watch it. It's based on the life of Brad Cohen, a young man with Tourette's syndrome who wants to be a teacher. James Wolk should have received an Emmy for his portrayal of Brad. It was truly stellar. There are many moving scenes in the movie. Highly recommended. Showed it to my junior high classes at the end of the year and, after I explained about Tourette's, there was ABSOLUTE silence as they watched it.

A critic of the new Peanuts movie lamented that Charlie Brown did not have a girlfriend of color...not diverse enough. The response from some of the viewers of Fox and Friends this morning:

Charlie Brown loves the little red-haired girl. Orange is the new black. Problem solved!

FFS. This person has obviously never watched Peanuts. Charlie Brown has always loved the red-haired girl, just as Sally loves Linus and Lucy loves Schroeder. It's a freaking kids movie.

• Love 4

The book and movie of Little  Women always makes me cry when Beth dies. Members of my family were unable to figure out why I would re-read it or see the movie again until my daughter came up with the theory that I am hoping by seeing it just one more time, Beth will somehow live.  So maybe that's it.

The book and movie of Little  Women always makes me cry when Beth dies. Members of my family were unable to figure out why I would re-read it or see the movie again until my daughter came up with the theory that I am hoping by seeing it just one more time, Beth will somehow live.  So maybe that's it.

• Love 10

FFS. This person has obviously never watched Peanuts. Charlie Brown has always loved the red-haired girl, just as Sally loves Linus and Lucy loves Schroeder. It's a freaking kids movie.

Agree! And the very first time I sobbed crying it was watching the Peanuts movie at the drivein. It was when the little red head girl moved away. My emotions completely overtook me and it scared me a bit. Luckily my mom had lots of hugs for me. - and on another note I have thinking of a movie for my teens stocking and then the discussion of My Dog Skip came up! It is one of her favorites so I am going to get on BluRay (we only have it on VHS, which we no longer have). I think I know what the family movie will be Christmas night. Our youngest has not seen it either. I think it will become a favorite of hers too.

Something else that makes me cry. Because after all, it's just not a day unless my eyes are filling with tears at an inappropriate time or place.

JOSH GROBAN. His recording of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with the soldiers sending holiday messages to their loved ones in the middle. And I'm crying because I'm so pissed off (beware, political opinion) that they've been deployed over and over and that they were sent there in the first place because people lied. They should be HOME with their families! (End of political opinion, back to our regularly scheduled convo.)

• Love 8

The memorable movie which did NOT have me in tears at the end - in fact I was in total snarkish amusement - was Avatar. I went with a friend when it was newly released. We paid a ton of bucks to see it in 3D. I thought the 3D effects were way cool and the cinematography was great. But the story just struck me as so boring and predictable, that I could not get into it at all. People, that is one bad movie.

I thought I was the only person in the universe who disliked this movie.  We went because son and DIL were in town (they work in film and wanted to see it) and they took the us to see it.  I don't get particularly excited over 3D  so I was bored, too.  We went out to dinner immediately after and didn't even discuss the movie.

• Love 2

I dare anyone to not cry at the end of White Christmas when all the soldiers are saluting their former General. About as schmaltzy as it gets but it gets me every time. My more modern and favorite Christmas movie that gets the tears rolling is Love Actually. Actually, I still cry at the Folger's Home for Christmas coffee commercial and that sucker is probably 20 years old. Proctor and Gamble must love my kind.

• Love 5

I dare anyone to not cry at the end of White Christmas when all the soldiers are saluting their former General. About as schmaltzy as it gets but it gets me every time. My more modern and favorite Christmas movie that gets the tears rolling is Love Actually. Actually, I still cry at the Folger's Home for Christmas coffee commercial and that sucker is probably 20 years old. Proctor and Gamble must love my kind.

Oh Peter.  He's had such a storied and varied career.  Ten years in college, then the Peace Corp, the military, back to college, missionary trip, then working for an NGO.  I think he might be back in the military now?  

My mother and I watched Holiday Inn last Thanksgiving because she's a sucker for old movies, usually about holidays, and if they involve musical numbers all the better.  We were rolling on the floor horri-laughing at the Lincoln's Birthday number.  I think we'll do White Christmas this year, should be less controversial. ;)

• Love 3

I am sorry to hear about the girl you knew. {{{HUGS}}}

I have a cousin who is going through cancer prevention in her esophagus. She is on medications, but she may need a feeding tube in the future (hopefully not for many more years.) One of my uncles is still drinking heavy and ends up in the hospital at times. A second cousin has been having strokes, and the doctors are trying to figure out what is going on.

I am hoping to see The Peanuts Movie while it at the movie theatre in Helena. I am a major Snoopy fan, can relate to Charlie Brown, and turn into Lucy at times. *lol* I also cried at the end of Toy Story 3 and Old Yeller when they had to shoot the dog. I cry when I see the commercials for wounded veterans and animal abuse.

I thought I was the only person in the universe who disliked this movie.  We went because son and DIL were in town (they work in film and wanted to see it) and they took the us to see it.  I don't get particularly excited over 3D  so I was bored, too.  We went out to dinner immediately after and didn't even discuss the movie.

Space Pocahontas?  Yeah, as cool as the 3D was at the time, the actual plot was tissue thin and poorly acted.  I can forgive a bad script if at least one of the leads is charismatic (looking at you, Jurassic World), but Avatar did nothing for me.  

Bridge to Terebitha makes me cry every time. Also, the first ten minutes of frozen, during Do You Wanna Build A Snowman? I saw it in theatres with a bunch of little kids and their parents and all parents and I were sobbing but none of the kids cared.

I cried during that one too.

My Mom sent that as my ring tone on her phone, saying she knew I loved Disney movies, and lived somewhere cold.  I just kept asking her "have you ever listened to the words".  I don't know if she ever changed it, but I can't bear to think it is what she hears everytime I call. 

Of course, my Dad has my college's fight song as my ring tone, and he often doesn't pick up because "I was listening to the War Hymn".  So that's annoying too.

burlsa, you can come sit by me. I just teared up during part of Pitch Perfect 2. Pitch Perfect 2, y'all. I cry at the drop of a hat and I hate it.

I did, too! The part where they were sitting around the fire singing made me tear up, and when everyone came out during World's to sing... Singing hits me deeper than usual!

I'm 100% traumatized by Dumbo. I'm sure I watched it when I was younger but didn't understand. It wasn't until my late teens I saw it was on TV and went to watch it. It was the part where he's swinging in his mom's trunk towards the end...... nope. never again. traumatized.

• Love 3

Reading all these comments has me going for the Kleenex. Mr Barb loves oldies music & we went thru a Death song phase (as I called it) when we were younger. "Tell Laura I love her" was included along with "Honey." The one line in Honey that always brings a smile to my face is "she was kind of dumb & kind of smart", cuz Mr Barb said that describes me & it's an inside joke for us. Luckily my son warned me about the beginning of UP before we started watching it. I had the waterworks flowing when they were in the Drs office& found out they couldn't have children. Include me with rest of you about crying thru Lion King, Old Yeller & Land Before Time, one of my all time favorite kid movie series. We laugh that Mr Barb bought the first Land Before Time movie ( for the VCR) at McDonald's for $2.99 as an impulse buy. It was the best $2.99 he spent.

How sad it is the Duggar kids don't have movie & book memories to look back on like our kids & families do. My son, who is 26, recently came across a movie he loved to watch when he was 4. We had a nice time going down memory lane about this& the other movies he loved & later passed on to his cousins. How many memories can the Duggar girls have about that Waiting for Prince Charming book?

• Love 2

I'm generally not a crier, but moments that got me were in Doctor Who, when Rose was taken away from The Doctor into the alternate universe, and in Rookie Blue, after Jerry dies, when Traci is reading his wedding toast and gets to the bit about herself, and can't finish reading it, so Gail has to take over.

And in real life, I cried a bit the morning I woke up and read on my Twitter feed that Terry Pratchett had died.

Crying about the Little Match Girl. Have you read the original Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales?  A lot of them are tear jerkers. The two that really kept with me is the tale of the steadfast Tin Soldier and The Woman and Death.

The second isn't as well known. Her child dies and she goes to death's garden to bring her child back. She grabs two plants and threatens to tear them up unless Death brings back her child. Death shows what the lives of the two children would be if he had brought them back telling her one was her child. One has a life of ease and love. The other is living in squalid conditions and the family has barely time for each other while they eke out a living. She lets both plants go. I read it while I was young and thought, fairy tales are not supposed to make you cry! 

Edited by Catlyn
  • Love 1

I know I’m a bit behind, but I just posted on FB about my need for a shower and my inability to get myself in one.  I have a cold and I am so exhausted and dizzy I really need someone to hold me up and help me bathe.  Of course, I would insist on blindfolding them for both of our sakes.  There is a tub in the upper unit but we are still working on the remodel.  So I’m going to have to suck it up and get in the shower before I become too disgusting to be near myself. 

When I was young there was a local theater that would show kids movies all day on Saturday.  My mother would send the four of us off as a way of getting rid of us for the day.  It was super cheap.  One time we were supposed to see Snow White.  The film broke so they showed one of their nighttime features, Piranha.  It starts with a woman swimming then being torn apart by piranha.  I started screaming and would not stop.  My sister picked me up and carried me out.  My mother (psycho that she is) found it funny.  My father went down to the theater and had quite the talk with them.  He also let the other neighborhood parents know what happened in case their kids were at the show and came back traumatized. 

When Tom Hanks was being interviewed about Turner and Hootch which had not done well in theaters, he said

you need to not kill the dog at the end of the movie.

He was right.  

The memorable movie which did NOT have me in tears at the end - in fact I was in total snarkish amusement - was Avatar. I went with a friend when it was newly released. We paid a ton of bucks to see it in 3D. I thought the 3D effects were way cool and the cinematography was great. But the story just struck me as so boring and predictable, that I could not get into it at all. People, that is one bad movie. Because as noted, I'm usually all teary even when watching not-very-good movies (at least, the first time of viewing, if not again). 

For a film to leave me in eye-rolling snark mode vs. tear-wiping mode? It's got to stink. Which Avatar did. Expensively.

I love you so much for this.  I truly hate that movie.  I was on a date who decided I was a cold-hearted and horrible person because I hated the movie so much,  I actually started to fall asleep.  My date had to nudge me to wake me up because I had started to snore.  

The last movie I cried at was Milk during the shooting scene.  It brought back all the emotion of that terrible time.  The newspapers had done step by step diagrams of how Dan White had gone through City Hall killing people.  The movie matched it exactly.  It's brutal because it's real. 

• Love 4

One of our family jokes is the fact that my daughter and I will cry at ANYTHING even remotely emotional. As a 4th grader I had to read "The Yearling" and cried so hard I got sick. When my daughter got married this past June she gave a gift to both her future MIL and myself. My gift was a lovely necklace, but what really got me was the personalized note inside :" I'll love you forever, I'LL LIKE YOU FOR ALWAYS, As long as I'm living, MY MOMMY YOU'LL BE. The photographer was ever so kind to take many "ugly crying" pictures of me. The note is stored in my wallet. Forever.

Needs to be in a Safe Deposit box (or another secure location) I would hate for something to happen to your wallet!

• Love 1