Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Writing On The Wall

• Start Topic

The team discovers murder victims with the alien glyphs on them that Coulson's been etching. All of Coulson's secrets and lies come to a head.

Starting this early (no new ep next week), but that's okay. It looks good!

• Love 1

SQUEEEE!!! Not sure if pretty probable spec based on the episode needs to be spoilered, so to be safe: 

Atillan! It's a map to Atillan! They're really introducing the Inhumans on the show!

Yet another fun episode. Need to rewatch and process a bit, but I enjoyed both the A and B stories. It was good to see Ward flexing his muscles (figuratively, of course) now that he's out of the cell. I want to see him brought down, as long as it's entertaining, and so far, so good.

And the A-plot -- we got some real movement, TAHITI is now thankfully behind, and we're well on our way to some Marvel universe goodness.

Micro was mentioned. He's a sometimes ally of The Punisher

I totally missed that -- where did they mention him?

• Love 1

My god was that a good episode. I'm still catching my breath here! They're really hitting on all cylinders right now and the show truly feels like part of the Marvel Universe without trying as opposed to sometimes last year when we kept getting beaten over the head with that.

• Love 4

SQUEEEE!!! Not sure if pretty probable spec based on the episode needs to be spoilered, so to be safe: 

Atillan! It's a map to Atillan! They're really introducing the Inhumans on the show!

Yet another fun episode. Need to rewatch and process a bit, but I enjoyed both the A and B stories. It was good to see Ward flexing his muscles (figuratively, of course) now that he's out of the cell. I want to see him brought down, as long as it's entertaining, and so far, so good.

And the A-plot -- we got some real movement, TAHITI is now thankfully behind, and we're well on our way to some Marvel universe goodness.

I totally missed that -- where did they mention him?

In the beginning, Sky mentioned a hacker friend named Micro.

• Love 2

I feel like the storyline is so much tighter this season than last, and I'm loving it.  Tahiti fully explained and explored.  An overarching mission for the rest of the season at least.  And Ward is out there.  It can't be said enough, Fuck you Ward.  You better not be threatening my new babies.  I'm loving all the new team members and like how they work together.  Everything is so good!

• Love 8

Attilan! And Bobby Cobb lives! Man, between this and The Flash I am in comic nerd girl heaven. So could The Diviner be Terrigen Mist or just identify Inhumans? Also how dare Ward critique Mockingbird! But yeah amateur move with the book chica.

• Love 3

Attilan! And Bobby Cobb lives! Man, between this and The Flash I am in comic nerd girl heaven. So could The Diviner be Terrigen Mist or just identify Inhumans? Also how dare Ward critique Mockingbird! But yeah amateur move with the book chica.

I'm thinking it just identifies. If it activated like the Terrigen Mist, then Raina should have some powers by now.

That was a great episode.  First time this season where I was on the edge of my seat.  In the beginning, I was initially disappointed that the Ward story was the B-plot, I was looking forward to it.  But the TAHITI stuff ended up being great.  Glad that the weird compulsions are going away, too.  

Hope Ward stays evil.  So much better that way.

Loved the Captain America picture on the desk at the end.  That's the Coulson I remember.

• Love 4

Good; I'm not the only one to hear the Micro nod.

Glad to see Joel Gretsch; glad he chose to stay "normal".  I have a feeling we may see him again. ("Damage Control" spin-off? *g*)

I'm going with the Attilan guess as well.

Mack and Leo discussing Coulson's brain "jumble" and Skye sidestepping the half-alien question with Mack were good.

Hunter? Bobbi? Shut up. You both are supposed to be professional, so quit acting like petty teens. Show? They obviously can't play together nicely, so stop doing that. Signed, Grown-ass folk

Grant Ward? One cool customer. He's hung-up on Skye, but I'm not sure why. If it's Real Love, yikes. If it's simply to prove he's basically a Good Guy, yikes again. If it's to get next to a sexy alien chick, yuck. If it is to get next to sexy alien chick's super-powerful alien dad? Dude, you need to be left with Jemma. I don't think you'd walk out.

I am unsure how to feel about Coulson psyching out Skye in The Cell. On the other hand, way to be observant/ coordinating  eyes and hands, Leo and Mack! How long did Skye end up being in the cell?

The whole GH325 storyline has been heartbreaking, in the way that the Good Intent to genuinely help Good Guys ( the Avengers) brought nothing but pain and death to all but three agents and the questionable levels of medical experimentation that continued.  We will probably see that doctor again; the lady, not Shepherd Book.

I did like that the duct tape had "For Coulson" and that Grant did not strictly lie to Bakshi. If Grant weren't a sociopath, he'd be funnier.

Still processing stuff. Overall, I enjoyed the episode!

• Love 1

Strong episode.  They're building a good storyline here, one that fits a comic book show (I mean that in a good way of course).  The whole Tahiti thing remains dark and disturbing.

Inhumans are an element of Marvel Comics I don't know well but I had a feeling it was connected to it.  Pretty cool moment.

Nice to see Joel Grotch.  I've enjoyed his work in The 4400 and V.

So glad they are keeping Ward bad...he's 1000X more interesting that way.  It seems he is on his way though to becoming the ally Shield doesn't want but are going to be stuck with.

• Love 3

I'm happy that Ward is now loosed upon the world. He is more interesting that way. He really upped his game in this episode. He wasn't much of an independent thinker last season. Now that all his puppet masters are gone, he seems to be doing okay. I wonder if he is just making his first goal to murder his brother right in the face. I could get behind that. His brother seemed like a total dick and I weirdly believe Ward about this guy.

The episode didn't have nearly enough Fitz! I love the continuing friendship between Fitz and Mack. Simmons is clearly still on the outs with Fitz and pissed about it. Does she think Mack is a bad influence on Fitz? She seemed to have a big problem with Fitz parroting Mack's approach to life.

I'm so sick of the Tahiti nonsense! This better be over. I'm positive we will be seeing the non-crazy blond guy again. No way can he be awakened to his badass spy past and then be ok with hanging out in his basement. I saw when he caught that knife and then threw it to free Coulson.  He looked surprised, but also like he knew what he was doing on some level.  Also, that actor has been in a lot of stuff and I don't believe they got him for just one episode.

• Love 1

So, Ward is out and helping SHIELD on some levels (killing Hydra folks and giving them prisoners), but is thankfully still just a wee bit evil, since he pretty much threaten the other agents.  Yep, I still think he just wants Skye to like him again.  Skye's comparison to a cat dropping off dead birds, is pretty much dead on.  I hope he tries though, because I would enjoy a showdown between him and Bobbi. Might be just as awesome as his showdown with Melinda (and, hopefully, the end will be the same.)  But, for now, it sounds like his brother is his next goal.  Should be fun!

The Tahiti plot was back in full force, but it was better then last season at least.  They now know that the drawings are a blueprint that everyone is trying to find, and it's a race to find it first, like a lethal edition of The Amazing Race.  Fun seeing Brian Van Holt again, and also Joel Gretsch as the guy who turned out OK.

Not much stuff with Fitz this time, but I also noticed what felt like a bit of hostility in Simmons voice, whenever she talked to Mack.  I think she is jealous over how close they've gotten.  Then again, if those two weren't off playing games, maybe they would have noticed Skye was trapped earlier.  Then again, it was Halo though...

Only eye-rolling moment I had was how easily Coulson escaped and trapped Skye.  Why would she have had someone else alongside her or guarding the door, just in case something was up?  The show has mainly gotten smarter, but it still has a few dumb moments like that. 

• Love 2

My god was that a good episode. I'm still catching my breath here! They're really hitting on all cylinders right now and the show truly feels like part of the Marvel Universe without trying as opposed to sometimes last year when we kept getting beaten over the head with that.

I totally agree, that was a great episode.  I think the show is greatly helped out by the fact they're not having to deal with a stand-alone MCU movie happening during the season.  They're free to explore their own plotlines pretty independently. 

I'm Unsullied regarding the  comics, so I'll just take everyone's word for it that it's that city.  I will be making a trip to wikipedia shortly though, because now I wonder if they'll tie Agents of SHIELD back to the movies by having one of the Infinity Stones hidden there.  It'd save them having to do yet another "bad guy wants the Infinity Stone McGuffin, Superhero [fill in the blank] has to stop him, Thanos makes a cameo to remind the audience that it ties to his mega-arc" movie.

• Love 1

I think the show is greatly helped out by the fact they're not having to deal with a stand-alone MCU movie happening during the season.  They're free to explore their own plotlines pretty independently. 

Age of Ultron comes out May 1. Unless they finish the season before then (and do you really think ABC/Disney would let this show skip May sweeps?), they will have to deal with another movie plot and the ripple effects.

It takes me a while to process the episodes, since I'm usually only half-watching in the beginning while posting on The Flash. What I've seen is a tighter show, with fewer headaches and a Skye that doesn't need to be smacked. Isn't that all we asked for? It's going to be disappointing when the show gets shelved in January.

Was it ever established what TAHITI stood for, if anything? I saw a meme that suggested it meant "The Alien Hidden In The Incubator," but I'm guessing that's unofficial. Lucky that no Avengers were subjected to it . . . imagine a revived Captain America carving on walls with his shield. Or Thor with his hammer. Sad thought.

"Hail Hydra." That cracked me up. Thanks, Skye! And damn, Ward + razor = awesomeness. And he cleans up wicked nice. Richard Kimble would be jealous.

ETA: I should consider Coulson to be an asshole, especially what he did with Skye, but I'm still on his side. I guess Clark Gregg is that good.

• Love 3

Age of Ultron comes out May 1. Unless they finish the season before then (and do you really think ABC/Disney would let this show skip May sweeps?), they will have to deal with another movie plot and the ripple effects.

If the Inhuman speculation is true (and apparently it is), then the reverse might be in store this time around, with Agents introducing an element which will have an effect on the movieverse.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. Don't know anything about Inhumans so will have to take others at their word that is what the show is setting up. Seems to have people excited, though, if that is where they are going so I am excited to see that play out. I am starting to see the breadcrumbs for future movies. Now that they announced an Inhuman movie, will Skye and her father be in it if that is what they are, like I have heard people speculate?

What was Ward doing at the end? Trying to infiltrate his brothers security? He seemed dressed like a bodyguard to me...

• Love 1

Not my favorite episode. I could have done without the villain with the knife running around cutting people, especially the scenes with Coulson tied up. A bit too uncomfortable for me. I did like that they cured the Coulson carving thing. 

Way too much Skye snark in this episode. I go from disliking Skye, to liking her, to disliking her again. Right now I'm in the dislike Skye phase. Loved it when Coulson threw her in the cell. Skye and Simmons are just so annoying to me right now, I don't care at all about them, especially Simmons. I love May and Bobbi, though.

Speaking of Bobbi, I enjoy the banter between her and Hunter. I think they have good chemistry and hope the two of them get back together. The scene with Bobbi and Ward on the bus was good, and Bobbi looked so delectable the way the lighting worked in that scene.

Glad Ward got away and is on his own, even though my heart longs for him to be back with the team, but that's probably not going to happen at this point. Ward is smarter than Skye, but not smarter than Coulson. Still, I'm looking forward to Ward having the upper hand in his conversations with Skye now that he's empowered and out of that cell.

Edited by APSimpson

I'm glad they're done with Coulson's crazy carvings and the whole TAHITI business. The carving was starting to feel like it could be a season long drag as everyone finds out what's wrong with Coulson and they race to find a cure and it's all very tragic until a magical cure is found because they won't kill off Clark Gregg. But -- this show has been subverting my expectations lately and I really like it. So, yay. I don't know anything about the comics or this inhuman stuff, but whatever it is, I like it.

Love Evil Ward out and on the run. Kind of like a Twisted Nikita, thinking he's doing good things but in a really creepy way -- and thus fulfilling Skye's analogy of the cat with the dead birds. And being her stalker, I suppose. Loved Skye answering the phone with "Hail Hydra."

I forgot how hot Brett Dalton is under all that facial hair.

• Love 1

Alien city = The Inhumans (EDIT - Okay, just read upthread--of course every other Marvel Comics reader saw this too!)

I'm glad they're done with Coulson's crazy carvings and the whole TAHITI business.

I don't believe they are.  Or rather they're done with the overt crazy and it will be some kind of endgame.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Not bad, not bad... I will be impressed if they actually have wrapped up the latest "Coulson's not himself" mystery and moved on. 

I liked the episode, but it sure feels as if they are committed to giving each character about two minutes of screen time each episode while slowing pushing the story forward -- and now that's around nine regular cast members -- tho Skye and Coulson are still getting the most time. Maybe the story would feel more compelling if the story itself were the driving force, and not making sure everybody gets their face time each week. Just sayin' ... 

But -- I have to add -- thank you TPTB for not giving us another round of "teary-eyed Simmons and Ftiz" this week. It was a relief to see Jemma be all business about the autopsy. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

God I was bored throughout the A-story with Coulson. I'm not a comic fan, so I have no idea about any allusions or hints, it was simply boring. But at least the carving stuff is gone - finding the city seems more promising, at least.

Ward's stuff was OK, but there was too little of it. Hoped to see him and May face to face, too. But hey, we got him shirtless and he's finally shaved, which is nice. Loved his exchange with Skye, and her saying "Hail Hydra" on the phone was all sorts of hilarious.

I'm positive we will be seeing the non-crazy blond guy again. No way can he be awakened to his badass spy past and then be ok with hanging out in his basement. I saw when he caught that knife and then threw it to free Coulson.  He looked surprised, but also like he knew what he was doing on some level.  Also, that actor has been in a lot of stuff and I don't believe they got him for just one episode.

That was Joel Gretsch of The 4400 fame. More recently, he was in that awful V remake (which I've still somehow watched for 2 seasons it was on) and was recurring on Witches of East End.

Edited by FurryFury

a relief to see Jemma be all business about the autopsy

And all the hands that raised when she asked if anyone wanted to leave before she got started.

Liked the not evil Tahiti guy.  Wouldn't mind seeing him again doing some welding for SHIELD.

• Love 3

If this isn't leading to Attillan and The Inhumans, I think the fans are going to revolt! ;-)

i think this show is getting better and better, and I really appreciate that they've finally gotten over the hump and decided to explain the symbols. It was dragging on a bit. It's funny, because I think my husband is getting bored of SHIELD while I love it, and got so bored with Gotham that I gave it up. I don't think that SHIELD will have any problem dealing with Avengers 2 because I don't think the movie will have as much to do with SHIELD as Winter Soldier. 

I'm torn as to whether or not Ward looks better with or without the beard. Both? But agreed that Bobbi looked great on the bus with the sun in her hair.

I do worry about how they'll make Attillan impressive on the small screen with a TV budget, though...

• Love 1

Glad they wrapped the crazy Coulson storyline up. The Ward parts remain the more entertaining bits of the show for me, he's the only character I'm actually invested in - note, that's not because he's my favourite, but because he's interesting as a character to me, rather than as a figure to move along the plot. I realised this episode I didn't care if Coulson was crazy or not, I don't care if Skye finds her father - I want to know what kind of alien he is/they are, but do I care about what this means for her as a character? Nope. Simmons, who I liked last season, is just meh to me in this new badass version and Fitz and his new best bud are cute but I'm also not overly invested in whatever happens to them. The new crew could die any episode and I wouldn't even notice.

The plots are much better paced this season, the dialogues are a bit sharper and they've toned down some of the most annoying elements (the Skye-Coulson pep-talks "You are the greatest" "No, you are the greatest!", the Ward-Skye flirtation, the constant Skye propping) but I still just don't care about the characters. There are shows where I am invested in the people after two to three episodes, this one's been going on for over a season and I still don't care. Except for Ward, the crazy bastard. He actually is interesting to me.

• Love 3

I do worry about how they'll make Attillan impressive on the small screen with a TV budget, though...

This is where the show can use the movies to their benefit. Just like showing the TV footage the helicarrier crashing into the Triskelion, something not able on a TV budget, I'd try to convince TPTB to go ahead and get some renderings done of Attilan for the Inhumans movie so that SHIELD can introduce it properly. Besides, Doctor Who made Gallifrey look pretty good, and they didn't have a blockbuster budget. And maybe sharing sets with Agent Carter is helping them save money to use later on some sweeps-worth FX.

• Love 1
That was Joel Gretsch of The 4400 fame. More recently, he was in that awful V remake ...

Did anyone see the Gretsch character catch the throwing knife by trapping it between his palms in midair and immediately think "So, Welder Guy's not S.H.I.E.L.D. anymore, and he's clearly not crazy, he's become ... the Slayer?

• Love 4

I'm really enjoying Season 2. I wish the ratings were better :o(

Also, that actor has been in a lot of stuff and I don't believe they got him for just one episode.

I hope you are right and Joel comes back. On the other hand: Lucy Lawless. But I hope you are right. 

• Love 2

To be honest I was a little disappointed with this episode. They had built the tension and urgency of Coulson and the crazy writing for so long, but the conclusion just felt anticlimactic. He sees Welder dude's train set is magically cured? Also every time they say in universe "it's all connected" I roll my eyes. Show don't tell, exposition fairies.

I also felt like they missed some opportunities to show the impact that Ward's escape has had on the team. Last episode everyone was very much affected by Ward's betrayal - Simmons threatened to kill Ward, we had seen Fitz suffocating Ward earlier - and yet now no one even reacts to the news that he's on the run. That he's still on the lose and sending SHIELD dead/captured human presents? Overall I thought that the episode pushed the plot forward, but I wish they had taken a few moments to pause the frantic pace of the action to let us see how these actions affects our characters and why I should care about them. Right now I care more about what Skye is as a Macguffin than who she is as a person.

Ward continues to be delightfully creepy to watch. Good use of the mood music as well, the score under the Skye and Ward conversation at the end really set the creepy tone.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 6

They had built the tension and urgency of Coulson and the crazy writing for so long, but the conclusion just felt anticlimactic. He sees Welder dude's train set is magically cured?

That part felt sketchy to me, too.  I can see them abating somewhat, but stopping completely?  Wouldn't it make more sense if the compulsions ended once they actually found the city?  They have no idea where it is, or if it even exists in their reality.  But I'm willing to handwave it, because this plot has been going on forever and needed some closure.

• Love 1

I'm really enjoying Season 2. I wish the ratings were better :o(

For no reason based in fact or evidence, I feel like ABC/Disney/Marvel are strong enough and committed enough to the MCU that, as long as they have strong fan support, the ratings aren't as important.  Last year I felt nervous for the show because the audience was unimpressed and/or disappointed by it but now that momentum is building and people are excited about it, the nervousness is gone regardless of the ratings.

• Love 1

Another good episode. I was never invested in Ward and I still don't care about him, but if he comes anywhere near Tripp or Mack I'm done, he must die and stay dead. I don't like Skye being the de facto leader when May is away.  I'm glad we're done with the writing on the wall. Glad Simmons and Fitz can exist in the same room without it being depressing. Interested to see where things go from here.

I should have put that money on my credit card payment, but now I have Bill Withers' greatest hits. "Who is He (and What is He to You)" is a great song. Same thing happened with the Troubleman soundtrack after watching Cap 2. Let's not even get into Guardians of the Galaxy. Thanks, Marvel. Your good taste in music is killing my bank account.

• Love 2
Glad Ward got away and is on his own, even though my heart longs for him to be back with the team,

Yes yes!  I want him back with the team, even if I think there's virtually no chance of that happening.  Unless Grant's been brainwashed from the beginning?  /grasping at straws.

Loves Skye's Hail Hydra when she answered the phone, and I wonder if they'll find the city, or if it will be something solved in one of the movies.

Not my favorite episode, but I thought it did a good job of wrapping up the TAHITI compulsion.  I have no idea who/what the alien is, but since it pre-dates the pyramids (I think that's what the doctor said?), I don't have to worry about some awful hydra/shield doctor taking him when he was alive and slowly killing him, which was what I had feared.

• Love 1

Glad Ward got away and is on his own, even though my heart longs for him to be back with the team, but that's probably not going to happen at this point.

Question: Why?  After all he's done, there is NO going back.  He's done nothing to deserve staying on the team.  In any way.  They'd be stupid to let him back on, and the whole team knows that.

• Love 3

Ward is far better off the Team.  It allows them to show him "unchained"--being extreme and doing things to shock, horrify or just astound the viewers.  Back on the team, he'd be neutered.  IF he was still wild and crazy, nobody would trust him--in fact the "is he gonna snap" tension would drive viewers crazy.  If we find he was controlled or brainwashed, the return to a calmer Ward is just slotting back in a snooze, who'd be even more disappointing in contrast.

Ward's current story last only as long as he's off the chain and crazy. When that ceases?  He goes out in a blaze of glory.

• Love 2

Any ideas on how they can introduce Attilan so far ahead of the movie? Presumably finding the city will be the season finale in 2015. The Inhumans movie isn't due out till 2018. I'm not disputing it is Attilan, just wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to how they'll handle it, with the 3 year gap.

• Love 3