Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Wedding Countdown!

That house is pretty ridiculous for just those two to be living in!

So, they went to get their nails done.  But, they did them themselves?  Huh?

Re:  the frozen yogurt.  Jim Bob and Michelle both got enough to feed four extra kids, yet you couldn't see the top of Derick and Jill's yogurt.  And when Michelle walked in, she 'oooed' that they had cheesecake.  Whats the big fucking deal?  Her reaction was like that of meeting your friend's baby for the first time.  Can't stand that woman. And I can't stand Jessa...still.  I actually feel bad for Ben.  I wonder if he could get out if he wanted to.  Can you do that in their religion or whatever it is?

Thank god James was there to chaperone while Derick set up the mailbox.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 5

* Jim Boob conveniently forgot to mention that they weren't exactly financially flush before TLC came onto the scene.  I guess it's easy for him to forget his days as a common man.

The Duggar family wasn't wealthy at all, but they were debt free and solvent long before TLC came along.

I actually liked the re-enactment of Josh and Anna's. It was part of what would be the rehearsal dinner in most people's world, and given that it wasn't a big production and the families didn't know each other very well and so many people in the church had pitched in, it was a nice way to break the ice and provide some entertainment.

So to answer your question, yes, that's very common in that world. It wasn't that much different from my own rehearsal dinner.

But Jill's proposal WAS a production. Literal. A PRODUCTION. Which made the replay kind of awkward, and the setting was awkward.

And getting marriage advice from your parents and in-laws, super awkward. It would have been so much better to have simply had them going and getting the same info even from an actual Christian counselor or minister. This just makes it look like JB and Michelle can't get out of their own way (which they can't, but I know if I were Anna, for all of the registry greed and all of the People magazine, I would count my lucky stars I married in when I did because at least my wedding was my own. None of this belongs to Jill or Derrick.)

And while the financial advice is decent all around advice, not only is debt a financial reality for most people in the 21st century economy, it's also a wealth builder. It's a tool. No more or less than anything else in an overall financial toolkit. Refusing to use it doesn't mean you can't build, but you probably won't be able to build everything that you could build if you did use it.

• Love 6

The Duggar family wasn't wealthy at all, but they were debt free and solvent long before TLC came along.

They were bursting at the seams in their old house and unable to finish the new house for years without TLC stepping in.  I would go so far as to say that the Duggar family would not be where they are today without TLC.

• Love 11

I'm grown and married but I want James to come chaperone my dates. That kid is full of win.

And Josie. Sigh. They can't possibly think her babbling mush mouth is ok. They've been thru enough kids to know better. Get that girl some attention assholes!

• Love 8

They were bursting at the seams in their old house and unable to finish the new house for years without TLC stepping in.  I would go so far as to say that the Duggar family would not be where they are today without TLC.

I remember that episode of the family living in cramped quarters, the kids practically on top of each other. Jim Bob said that they had rental income, but it obviously wasn't enough to really support the kids (at the level they do now -- I'm sure there weren't 3 harps or 4 violins in the corner) and build the house. They really needed TLC to get it done. Before TLC, they were definitely not in the position they are today.

• Love 4

Suzylee- I'm with you. This episode got me frustrated more than usual. I've chewed my way through a bag of Gummy Bears trying to relieve some of the frustration. It was that or throw them at the TV.

Thank goodness it did look like they got a new mattress. Anyone else notice the new washer & dryer? Maybe they were a gift from Grandma Duggar.

Instead of going to a furniture auction, my husband & I saved during our dating & engagement so we got to pick out new furnishings for the house we also bought. Yes, I had some castoffs from my Mom but it was nice that we got to pick out new things that reflected our tastes.

Poor Jana, don't know what else I can add. Did they say why she was sewing the ties instead of buying? Sorry, I think I answered my own question.

I liked Anna's comment about the girls will get Jill's clothes back when she gets pregnant in a few months.

I wonder which out-of-town guests got the pleasure of staying in the Stink Bus?

Edit: just watched episode again & saw they did get washer& dryer at the auction. I wonder if they're sold "As is". How do you know if the appliances work? Has anyone been to this type of auction that included appliances?

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 1

James so wants to live with Derick and Jill, you can tell by the way he tags along after them. I hope Derick is patient and understanding though. It's not the poor kid's fault he's ignored by his bio parents. 

The furniture auction didn't bother me. Sure it would be great to have brand new things, but they have plenty of time to upgrade later on. I did like that Jill was appreciative and didn't act like a spoiled brat just because things didn't match perfectly. Unlike Kate Gosselin who once rejected hand-me-down cribs because they weren't identical....

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

I loved James TH when he was totally dismissive of the courtship rules.  For all the talk of saving money at the auction, they could have bought some nice new pieces, though the couches and bed did look new.

the nail things they did were Jamberry.  It is a home business like 31, Avon or Origami Owl.  They sell nail wraps that you put on by heating them and smooshing them down.  Bet they promised free advertising. If I was Jamberry I'd be ticked.

I'm not sure if anyone heard the news, but Jill Michelle Duggar is going to marry a young fellow named Derick Dillard. She will then be Jill Michelle Duggar Dillard. Say that 5x fast.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 3

James so wants to live with Derick and Jill, you can tell by the way he tags along after them. I hope Derick is patient and understanding though. It's not the poor kid's fault he's ignored by his bio parents. 

The furniture auction didn't bother me. Sure it would be great to have brand new things, but they have plenty of time to upgrade later on. I did like that Jill was appreciative and didn't act like a spoiled brat just because things didn't match perfectly. Unlike Kate Gosselin who once rejected hand-me-down cribs because they weren't identical....

I'm with you in the furniture auction with the exception of anything containing foam or covered in soft fabric- way too much bed bug risk.  Antique or vintage tables and dressers can be gorgeous and are generally much better quality than the particle board crap of today.

• Love 3

Next week (10/21) is a show titled "All About Jill", “Jill Duggar is about to become Jill Dillard! ” says the description.

I wonder if Michelle will be jealous. They better name a future episode " All About Michelle".

Edited by lucille66

the nail things they did were Jamberry.  It is a home business like 31, Avon or Origami Owl.  They sell nail wraps that you put on by heating them and smooshing them down.  Bet they promised free advertising. If I was Jamberry I'd be ticked.

I was trying to figure out which MLM-based business was being pimped on tonight's episode. The whole thing seemed rather pointless considering they didn't even plug the company. It would have been a hell of a lot easier to get $15 manicures done by professionals.

SuzyLee, I agree about the furniture. Couches and beds would be a no-go for me as well. I keep flashing back to that 16 and Pregnant episode where the girl and her boyfriend bought a used crib, got it home, flipped up the mattress and roaches crawled out.

I'm assuming the FroYo shop comped the Duggars' yogurt, but I thought it was funny how Jill and Derick got what looked to be a normal sized portion while Boob and Michelle's cups could have filled a janitor's bucket. Greedy, greedy.

When Michelle was doing different colors and designs for every nail it reminded me of how my friends and I used to paint each others' nails at sleepovers: when we were ten.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

Boob's comment in the bedroom about getting a phone call from Jill and Derick confiming a pregnancy "in a few months" was out of line. Since Jill is floating on a sea of Gothard Kool-aid and believes she was born to breed, of course Boob got his wish. However, he should have kept his big mouth shut. His daughter and son-in-law's decision about starting a family is none of his business. I keep hoping Derick will grow a pair and tell him to butt out. Not a possibility though, since he's living in a JimBoob owned house. If he didn't know how obsessively controlling Boob is before he got involved with Jill, he knows now.

• Love 3

Full disclosure, I'm not a regular viewer let alone a fan. Nothing on tonight so I just happened to surf and land on this episode. There was some bed decorating going on and then a little brother was threatening to report  any violation of courtship rules???? WTF????? 

Nothing of import to say other than I had the username first! LOL

• Love 2

GREAT IDEA!! We can ALL make our own duct tape dresses to wear while we watch THE WEDDING OF THE CENTURY. Don't forget to get extra tape for the modesty shield. Should we have matching colors or can we mix it up? Don't bother with shoes, we'll go barefoot.

I just about choked laughing today when I saw the fancy duct tape section at the local grocery store today. I assume it was for Halloween but my very first thought was "DUGGARS!"

• Love 4

Imo, I do not see anything wrong with getting a not brand new mattress as long as it is clean and is in good shape. Now if it look like something from the city dump or has stains on it, I would not buy it.

Totally agree. The bed bug threat is actually pretty easy to ascertain. And if you were truly afraid of sleeping on an "unclean" mattress you'd never go to even a luxury hotel or sit on a sofa in a public area. Using some common sense and some good cleaning products and giving the mattresses a good sunning is a pretty decent way to get living room and bedroom furniture to start out.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 3

I loved James TH when he was totally dismissive of the courtship rules.  For all the talk of saving money at the auction, they could have bought some nice new pieces, though the couches and bed did look new.

Don't worry, the Duggar girls (including Anna) were all over fucking Instagram the day of the nail party, hashtag Jamberry. I remember it so vividly because it ruined my birthday on social media, two days before the wedding.

I can't believe there's going to be ANOTHER week of this, but they HAD to drag the finale out to Sweeps. Ugh.

Well, we got a short look at the sleeves on those sad-looking bridesmaids' dresses. The sleeves were set in by pleating the extra fabric on the sleeve, not by easing them into the armhole. That's an easy way to inset sleeves, but working on all those dresses took a lot of time. So Jana made the ties too? Busy, busy girl. 

The house Jill and Derrickdillard are getting to live in is beautiful, but listening to the unbearably annoying Michelle and then looking at that magnificent staircase led my mind to a dark film trope. Awful, but think of the peace and quiet. 

• Love 4
If my father had ever made any sort of inference regarding my sex life, I would have been mortified, not to mention totally creeped out.

I find JimBob referencing to be completely weird and gross. I can't believe a dad would actually say anything about his daughter's sex life. Every dad I know doesn't even want to think about that part of their daughter's life. My dad would never, ever mention anything remotely close to that subject. My dad's going to happily believe all the way to his grave his little girl doesn't have a sex life even if I do become pregnant and I am perfectly happy with him believing that. 

• Love 8

Well, we got a short look at the sleeves on those sad-looking bridesmaids' dresses. The sleeves were set in by pleating the extra fabric on the sleeve, not by easing them into the armhole. That's an easy way to inset sleeves, but working on all those dresses took a lot of time. So Jana made the ties too? Busy, busy girl. 

When the girls were sitting in the bedroom, I loved when Anna said she wished she'd been out there earlier so she could have helped Jana with the sewing. Hint, hint, hint, fellow J'Slaves. I couldn't tell if Anna made the comment as a dig or not, but I'm glad that somebody put it out there. Also for as much as the Duggars are claiming Jill isn't a bridezilla, she's sure proving otherwise, at least in my opinion. 

And I hate to say this because I love Jana, but I thought the ties looked as horrible as the dresses. 

• Love 6

What kind of house are Jessa and Bin going to get? Is she just going to move into the unventilated firetrap bachelor pad above the workshop? While Golden Daughter Jill gets the McMansion?

Best quote ever by Josh, "I don't get home much anymore." He's been home about every weekend from the photos on his Instagram account and they way he and Anna pop up in every scene.

• Love 10

When the girls were sitting in the bedroom, I loved when Anna said she wished she'd been out there earlier so she could have helped Jana with the sewing. Hint, hint, hint, fellow J'Slaves. I couldn't tell if Anna made the comment as a dig or not, but I'm glad that somebody put it out there.

It looked like Anna was shocked when Jana said she did all the dresses by herself. Whether the offer to help was genuine or not, at least someone realized how much work went in to "fixing" all those dresses

And I hate to say this because I love Jana, but I thought the ties looked as horrible as the dresses.

Didn't she say she's never made ties before, and that it took a couple of tries to get these? Why was she making them in the first place? It wouldn't have killed them to spend SOME of that TLC money to buy a bunch of matching ties and save poor Jana the extra work

• Love 6

I think Jana did a fine job for the amount of work she had to do/in the amount of time in which she had to do it. They weren't perfect but the poor girl had to plan/design/rework ALL of those already hideous dresses and make them look completely different. She had to do all of Jill's wedding stuff because as we saw tonight, Jill just said "Do it. Whatever. I'll just show up." THEN she had to make all of those ties. All by herself. To top it all off, she had to continue all of her household duties with little to no help from the engaged and courting princesses. I don't know where she found the hours to get everything done. She sounded kind of bitter tonight, but who can blame her? I secretly hope she added that ugly white bottom to get back at Jill!

Anna got brownie points tonight for being outraged at the amount of work Jana was doing. None of the other girls even blinked, even while Anna kept rattling off questions in disbelief.

Edit: Did anyone catch the cute Jackson/Johanna interaction? They were talking about their nails and Jackson held up his ring finger. Johanna squealed and swatted his finger down. I think she thought he was flipping off the camera but their giggles were so cute and real for their age!

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 10

I saw out-takes from "Extreme Cheapskates" during tonight's epi...now granted I haven't seen the actual show, but it looks like the perfect cross over career move for JB & Nut'Chelle, especially for this new "season of life" since the Duggar baby well has run dry - or so we hope!

First show of "Extreme Cheapskate Duggar Edition" : How To Have A Cheap Ass Wedding For A 1,000 People Under $500 Bucks (God Awful Bridesmaid Dresses included but additional costs may apply for cheeze wiz & saltine crackers).

Oh, and could they find a more cheap ass or craptastic wedding present than a proposal re-enactment video?  I know I for one would just love a video of my five and six year old siblings rifting on one of the most cherished moments of my life...NOT!

Dribble (Derrick, Jill & Baby Pickle) run. don't. walk. for the mission trip to anywhere away from these tools!

I need to find more extra curricular activities...meh. 

• Love 4

Why is Jana doing everything? When and if Jana gets married everyone including her parents should bow down and get her whatever she asks for. Money isn't a problem.

And Jim what if God forbid Jill couldn't conceive?

• Love 3

Where to begin with this deliciously snarkable episode?

Good on Jill for setting some limits for the honeymoon getaway car. I will never understand the Duggar/Bates fascination with "trashing" it out.

What the hot-diggity bell was up with Michelle's nail orgasm? I can understand being excited about wearing some nail art, but using one of each pattern? Vegas Showgirls show greater restraint with adornments. Also, please tell me I wasn't the only one who noticed that Michelle tucked all ten designs (full sheets, mind you) into her little nail bag. I think the unique nails had more to do with Michelle's hoarding obsession with multiples than any beauty quirk. Shoot. Hannie chose a more appropriate set!

I hope Jill is looking forward to a bed bug invasion with all of that auctioned furniture. Plus, a local was telling me that two of the couches they bought were from a local hotel that had insect infestations. Nice.

I gotta say. The girls did a nice job on the house. Jim Bob's smarmy "this is better than we had" got old. Anyone else think Derek will, conveniently arrange to buy the house from Jim Bob in a year or so?

Asking Derek, on tv, about his educational finances was unnecessary. Clearly, Derek got through it and is financially solid. Since his father died in law enforcement, I would guess he not only had life insurance or some sort of support, but there are pretty amazing scholarships for kids who've lost parents who were in law enforcement.

• Love 2

Today, they talked about finances and I just thinking, Derrick certainly read up on Jim Bob with the no debt. Jim Bob created this extraordinary scenario, Derrick kept insisting he wouldn't take debt, but never once did he explain what he would do if his engine blew, he had no money in their account, or their backup account, and he wouldn't use a credit card, considering they'll live out in the middle of nowhere, it would seem. 

I would have liked to hear Jim Bob's answer to how Derrick would pay for the engine if he had no money or credit.  They just ended it with "absolutely no debt".  It's a great ideas, but if your car doesn't work, how you going to get to work?  I think Jim Bob's answer to getting more money is to ask for it from church, fans, or whoever.

• Love 6

Once again, the Duggars speak half-assed. When Derick was interrogated at a yogurt shop about finances and debt, JB gave that scenario about the engine blowing, etc., they didn't offer what they should do in that circumstance! They are very good at not clarifying anything they say, nor are they asked any follow up questions by the off camera producers as to "what do they mean by that"? So annoying.

Also, did anyone catch the girls in the bedroom saying how Jill was "taking all the GOOD clothes" from their closet with her? I can't believe that it was confirmed that these women don't have a closet of their own or a section of the family closet that is theirs....what, do they share panties, too? Can't believe how dirty these people actually live...

Can't say enough about CinderJana and how she slaved away at that sewing machine...speak up, woman! I'm sure this isn't the first time Jill has bulldozed over her, either. It seemed quite natural for Jill to assume Jana would fulfill her "request", didn't it? But, Jana should have asked for help.

Once again, the Duggars are NOT qualified marital counselors nor are they clergy. They are not qualified to do ALL of the pre marital counseling. I am quite surprised the pastor of the church they "rented" for the ceremony didn't insist on proper counseling from him. ( I know they don't believe in female clergy). His sanctuary was good enough for the Duggar Wedding Spectacle, but it's not good enough for the Duggars to learn a thing or two every Sunday, is it? If I were the pastor, I would have refused them as they are not members and they would have to go to Derick's family's church to be married, like other people.

I also think it was quite out of line for JB to comment on his daughter's sex life AT ALL. Once again, flamboyant modesty! These people are showboats no matter what they do and that is NOT being modest or humble.

• Love 6

What kind of house are Jessa and Bin going to get? Is she just going to move into the unventilated firetrap bachelor pad above the workshop? While Golden Daughter Jill gets the McMansion?

Best quote ever by Josh, "I don't get home much anymore." He's been home about every weekend from the photos on his Instagram account and they way he and Anna pop up in every scene.

Well, Jessa was insisting tonight that she WANTS a small house. If she's telling the truth, then we have that in common. I like having a space with enough room for visitors, and that's about it. I have never understood 2-3 people rattling around in a huge mansion. But sadly, I think she knows she will never get anything grand, so she is trying to pass it off as the way she wants it.

• Love 4

I think Jessa already knows she aint getting a Barbie Dream House like Jill, with the way she went on and one last night about how she wants their first house to be small and cozy. 

• Love 1

Gil and Kelly Bates counseled Erin and Chad before they got married.

I loved Anna's digs about only Jana doing all the work and that she wished she was there to help. Didn't Anna make all her bridemaid dresses with the help of Jana too? Yep the other girls couldn't be bothered to do anything on the dress front especially since they all sew and having to buy a pattern and cut material was too taxing on their schedules of doing their hair and makeup.

Josie is completely not understandable. Get her some help--seriously fame should not be more important.

Used furniture when you can afford new (fabric sofa----noooooooo) IDK I get the sheeved factor. Did they even wipe down the leather looking lazyboy? Did they really buy used bedspreads and NOT wash them? I can't wrap my head around it. 

Haha I agree Duggar Cheapskates is Boob's next show. Can't wait to see how much money they didn't spend because people donated to them vs. Boob opening up his wallet.

Edited by Fuzzysox

I posted a while back, but not sure on this thread, if anyone thought JB would put a bigger bed into the "guest quarters" for Jessa and Bin, but maybe he thinks since the rental house is so big, that the two couples could live there together?  Creepy to me, but, the way his mind works...

• Love 2

How on earth would Derrick buy the house from JB any time soon? Walmart is not exactly a generous company. Derrick doesn't have a CPA or a master's degree. He is now chained to renting that house from JB forever, which means he is beholden to JB (and JB and MEchelle's dumb rules) forever. With Jill starting to pop out kids, there is no way she would settle for a smaller or less luxurious home.

Also, the family is just dirty. Blech. I would wear a hazmat suit to go inside the TTH. I wonder how clean Jill will actually keep the house? It doesn't seem like the Duggars have high standards for cleaning and keeping things orderly.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 1

In defense of Derrick's Mom - although she may not want extra screen time anyway ---- she was pretty sick during that time, sick enough that they used an empty wheelchair to represent her at the rehearsal and weren't sure she could manage to attend the wedding.  So much as she may not want to participate in the camera circus she probably wasn't in a place where she could manage long counseling or advice sessions anyway.

JB and Michelle's yogurt was, to put in nicely, gross - I get that they make those flavors sound awesome and you want to taste each but piling a full serving of every one in your bowl is a stupid way to do it.  Not to mention it melts pretty fast and with all the talking he was doing by the time he actually ate and got a quarter of the way down that bowl he'd have 13 flavor grey soup.  

I'm surprise Derrick can still talk the way he must be chewing on his tongue to stop from saying what he really thinks.

As much as Josie seems to have problems and delays her "Over here boys" when they were moving in the furniture was one of the cutest moments.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 1

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy used furniture through Craigslist?  That way, you could see what kind of condition the house was kept in and if the couch would have an infestation or not.  I do think the mattress was new--it was in plastic.

I find JimBob referencing to be completely weird and gross. I can't believe a dad would actually say anything about his daughter's sex life. Every dad I know doesn't even want to think about that part of their daughter's life. My dad would never, ever mention anything remotely close to that subject. My dad's going to happily believe all the way to his grave his little girl doesn't have a sex life even if I do become pregnant and I am perfectly happy with him believing that. 

HA, exactly.  I thought the same thing.  According to my father, my 14-year-old daughter was conceived via immaculate conception.  I haven't corrected him and never will.  You know, because we're normal.

• Love 10
So Boob never told Derick what he should do when his car breaks down and his emergency fund is depleted. Just as long as he doesn't go into debt or use an evil credit card! And Derickdillard was just regurgitating what he knew Boob wanted to hear. But emergencies happen. It's a fundie thing though to assume that everyone who has any debt at all is irresponsible or living above their means.

That whole scene with Mullet and JB giving them marital and economic advise had my eyes rolling so far back into my head, I could read the label on my shirt.  SO fucking dumb. Yo, Duggars. This conversation may be necessary in the next couple of weeks with the uneducated, jobless, dim bulb teenager who's marrying your OTHER daughter, but you're talking to a guy who actually has an ACCOUNTING DEGREE from a four year, accredited University. Oh, and he works in the corporate accounting offices of the biggest retailer in the world (as much as I hate WalMart, it's true).  And the comment about student loans was almost accusatory. "Well, you went to an evil, heathen, public University, you must have student loan debt." WTF?! I would have high fived my TV and head butted the dog if Derick had said, "Yes, but I have a COLLEGE DEGREE and a JOB that my father-in-law didn't have to get for me. I'm good."

GO DerickDillard.  

How on earth would Derrick buy the house from JB any time soon? Walmart is not exactly a generous company. Derrick doesn't have a CPA or a master's degree.

With all the work that Jill has done in her 20-plus years of indentured servitude, raising the children that her Mother was too drugged up to handle, JB ought to just hand the keys over and say, "Thank you. Have a house."   Jessa, on the other hand, should just get Josh's old house. Only Jill and Jana deserve McMansions for doing Michelle's job for her. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 8

Maybe Jessa is getting one of those pre-fab homes that Ben's dad sells.

Is there a car engine on all those registries??

I thought Ben's dad's prefab biz was the reason JB green lighted the Jessa/Ben relationship in the first place. It was the only thing that made sense from JB's point of view. But it seems to have turned out that biz no longer exists and the dad is fixing windshields to provide for his family. I might be mistaken on this but until I see prefab housing on JB owned property I'm going to be confused about how Jessa/Ben ever got to a courtship in the first place.
  • Love 1

Oh wow! I didn't know that Sewald's business went under. Windshield repair? Hmm...

Did the pre-fab house biz close before the courtship and Jimbo didn't want Jessa to seem like a brazen hussy so he allowed her to court?

Nothing of import to say other than I had the username first! LOL

Ooooh, I'm so sorry. I'm a newbie and I had no idea. Should I change it? How would I do that? I'm new to the site and I didn't find a member list :(

Anna got brownie points tonight for being outraged at the amount of work Jana was doing.

I am liking Anna lately. I was pretty impressed a couple episodes ago when she talked about being willing to welcome more kids, but feeling the need to appreciate the ones they have. And last night, yes, she was the only one who seemed the least bit concerned about CinderJana.

This whole dressmaking thing, paired with the fact that she doesn't seem to be courting, reinforces my belief that at some point, Jana was in trouble with Boob and J'Chelle. And has anyone else noticed that there really seems to be no interaction between Jana and her parents, period?

• Love 10